http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2784408

Just saw it on the ESPN ticker.

Vince Lombardi
03-01-2007, 12:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2784408

Damn, that's a sick CB duo. :eek:

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-01-2007, 12:45 PM
How is Foster? I don't know much about him. We got our KJ insurance though.

Vince Lombardi
03-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Too late. ;)

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2449

niel89
03-01-2007, 12:47 PM
damn i really didnt see them going through with this

Geo
I hate the NFC North: last year they give the Broncos Javon Walker, now Dre Bly.

The Denver Broncos are hard enough to face as an AFC opponent as it is.

Space Ghost
Broncos got jobbed IMO. Bly is nothing like he was 2 years ago IMO. They better restructure that contract hes got. Bell is on his way up in all likelihood and Foster isn't a terrible lineman, certainly a disappointment considering he was drafted in the first round to play in a zone blocking scheme where he should have dominated. I would have settled for Bell for Bly straight up if I were the Lions, but hey, Foster could help...

njx9
brilliant trade. i had no interest in giving up a draft pick, but i'm happy to get rid of those two guys for decent CB depth. also looks like foxy will stick at safety.

foster is probably slightly less worhtless than whoever played RT for you last year. he's still got a lot of potential, he just never played well.

Geo
03-01-2007, 12:48 PM
I hate the NFC North: last year they give the Broncos Javon Walker, now Dre Bly.

The Denver Broncos are hard enough to face as an AFC opponent as it is.

Vince Lombardi
03-01-2007, 12:48 PM
How is Foster? I don't know much about him. We got our KJ insurance though.

Yea, I guess the speculation of the lions drafting a RB can stop now.

Xiomera
03-01-2007, 12:49 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

I love Matt Millen! lol

I just started a thread earlier today in the Lions forum hoping for this exact trade to happen.

Detroit should take CJ at 2 now that they filled their OT and RB needs. lol

niel89
03-01-2007, 12:52 PM
brilliant trade. i had no interest in giving up a draft pick, but i'm happy to get rid of those two guys for decent CB depth. also looks like foxy will stick at safety.

foster is probably slightly less worhtless than whoever played RT for you last year. he's still got a lot of potential, he just never played well.

yeah if your keeping foxworth at saftey primarily then Bly gives you some good options. foster was worth giving up.

i think that detroit got the better end of the deal, but denver didnt care for those two guys that much.

i wonder what denver will do for a new RB w/ mike bell?

bsaza2358
03-01-2007, 12:52 PM
So what kind of combination of drugs does it take to get fleeced by Matt Millen in a trade? hahahaha.

niel89
03-01-2007, 12:53 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

I love Matt Millen! lol

I just started a thread earlier today in the Lions forum hoping for this exact trade to happen.

Detroit should take CJ at 2 now that they filled their OT and RB needs. lol

would detroit take another wr again?

njx9
03-01-2007, 12:54 PM
i'm assuming you're not serious, xio..

njx9
03-01-2007, 12:55 PM
So what kind of combination of drugs does it take to get fleeced by Matt Millen in a trade? hahahaha.

you think denver ended up on the bad end? how, exactly?

bsaza2358
03-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Seriously, I think it works out well for both teams. Bly wasn't coming back to Detroit, and Bell wasn't happy in Denver. Foster was a throw-in for value, but he was replacable for the Broncos. Foster at RT means the Lions can focus on a stronger skill position player at #2 overall. Joe Thomas likely is not going to Detroit now. Bell is good KJones insurance, but the Lions should consider a 4th round (give or take) RB.

Am I crazy to think that the Lions now dangle the #2 pick to Arizona (Joe Thomas) for a bunch of picks, then try to get a guy like Chris Houston or Leon Hall in Round 1?

Xiomera
03-01-2007, 01:01 PM
i'm assuming you're not serious, xio..

Half serious. But it looks like we are a lock to sign Kevin Curtis so I know it won't happen.

I just think you take the best player available, and now that we have no need for Joe Thomas, it's difficult to say which player we will take at #2. I still adamently believe they won't take a QB.

Who does that leave? Gaines Adams? Trade Down? That's about it.

Ho0k Em'
03-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Seriously, I think it works out well for both teams. Bly wasn't coming back to Detroit, and Bell wasn't happy in Denver. Foster was a throw-in for value, but he was replacable for the Broncos. Foster at RT means the Lions can focus on a stronger skill position player at #2 overall. Joe Thomas likely is not going to Detroit now. Bell is good KJones insurance, but the Lions should consider a 4th round (give or take) RB.

Am I crazy to think that the Lions now dangle the #2 pick to Arizona (Joe Thomas) for a bunch of picks, then try to get a guy like Chris Houston or Leon Hall in Round 1?

With the 5th overall pick?

niel89
03-01-2007, 01:03 PM
you think denver ended up on the bad end? how, exactly?

well bell is a pretty good back and a starter. he is really just for insurace but can be a really productive 2nd back. foster was a starter for a good while and is an inprovement probable over what detroit has

dre bly just didnt seem to fit in with detroit any more now that they are a cover 2.

both teams i think gained something from this trade, but in overall value i think bell and foster are worth more than just bly

Xiomera
03-01-2007, 01:03 PM

Problem is that we aren't gonna take Thomas now and Arizona knows that. Now that it appears that Thomas will fall to Cleveland though, Arizona might become a bit more desperate. It's a strange scenario.

Detroit would love to take Adams/Anderson, but I am not sure they'd do it without a trade down.

diabsoule
03-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Good trade, now all speculatin of having him (Bly) come to N.O. can end.

Xiomera
03-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Who thinks Denver makes a move up to grab Marshawn Lynch? I do . . .

Vince Lombardi
03-01-2007, 01:08 PM

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. :(

Vikes99ej
03-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Problem is that we aren't gonna take Thomas now and Arizona knows that. Now that it appears that Thomas will fall to Cleveland though, Arizona might become a bit more desperate. It's a strange scenario.

Detroit would love to take Adams/Anderson, but I am not sure they'd do it without a trade down.

We'd love to trade with you!!!

Craigo
03-01-2007, 01:10 PM
um... is it just me or did Detroit not just get ripped off ?

Tatum Bell didn't even look that good in Denver... Hell, Olandis Gary looked good in Denver. Same with countless other RB's. Tatum Bell is gonna look terrible in Detroit, and George Foster? Big deal!

Dre Bly was the Lions best defensive player... Denver got a GREAT deal.

Detroit now has the worst secondary in the league.. nice job.

bigbluedefense
03-01-2007, 01:10 PM
dammit, now the Broncos are gonna draft DeShawn Wynn. I want him on the Giants dammit!!!

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-01-2007, 01:12 PM
I think it is beneficial for both. Bly as the number 2 corner in Denver is a good fit. We will find out quickly if Bly is overrated because he will get picked on, not Champ Bailey. Bly will get ints though and make some big plays.

Secondly, Detroit saves 2.5 mil in cap space. Bly was as good as gone next year and didn't fit the Cover 2 at all (he had his worst year this past year). Also, Detroit finally gets a decent(not great) Right Tackle compared to the greatness of bust Stockar McDougle,Kelly Butler, Rex Tucker, Barry Stokes and a rookie Jonathan Scott. Foster seems like a mauler and can run block I would assume since he was a starter in Denver. He has some chemistry with Tatum Bell already. Tatum Bell provides KJ insurance, but when KJ comes back we have solid 1-2 punch like most good teams have nowadays.

Vikes99ej
03-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Why didn't the Broncos like Tatum Bell?

yourfavestoner
03-01-2007, 01:15 PM

For some reason, I think they'll get a guy like Antonio Pittman in the second, or something like that.

For some reason, I've been really intrigued at the prospect of Denver drafting Brad Lester (Auburn) next year. He is absolutely perfect for their system.

bigbluedefense
03-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Why didn't the Broncos like Tatum Bell?

Because they can stick any one of us back there and get 1000 yards.

bigbluedefense
03-01-2007, 01:16 PM
For some reason, I think they'll get a guy like Antonio Pittman in the second, or something like that.

For some reason, I've been really intrigued at the prospect of Denver drafting Brad Lester (Auburn) next year. He is absolutely perfect for their system.

No, Shannahan doesn't draft day 1 RBs. He's getting Wynn in day 2. Downhill runner with speed and power. He's a perfect fit.

Xiomera
03-01-2007, 01:17 PM

Tatum Bell didn't even look that good in Denver... Hell, Olandis Gary looked good in Denver. Same with countless other RB's. Tatum Bell is gonna look terrible in Detroit, and George Foster? Big deal!

Detroit wan't ripped off at all. Bly was gonna get RELEASED today if we didn't trade him. We would have gotten nothing in return for him.

Detroit has so much more flexibility in the draft now. They don't have to take Thomas at 2. They don't need to worry about Kevin Jones' recovery so much.

Great trade on both ends.

bsaza2358
03-01-2007, 01:18 PM

I think it's just you, actually. Bly wanted out of Detroit, and Detroit wanted Bly out. He did not have a good season, and his trade value was at its highest right now. Bly wasn't going to be with the team, so they made moves to solidify some things before the draft.

Tatum Bell is a pretty good RB with break-away speed. He showed he can do well in spurts last season. He can also catch passes out of the backfield. Detroit got a RB they can live with until KJones recovers. This removes an immediate draft need for the time being.

George Foster is a good, but not great, RT. He has an affordable contract and can run and pass block well. He solidifies the Lions OLine for the time being.

So, for a player who wanted out and wasn't going to make a huge impact for their team, the Lions filled some holes and also pared some salary off their cap. They can now take the BPA with their pick or move down. I think the Lions got the better end of it. The Broncos did well, but they gave up 2 contributors for 1 better player. I think the Lions are better now than they were before. The Broncos have a few questions going into the draft.

Jughead10
03-01-2007, 01:19 PM
No, Shannahan doesn't draft day 1 RBs. He's getting Wynn in day 2. Downhill runner with speed and power. He's a perfect fit.

Bell was a day 1 back. As was Portis. Even Clarett was a day one RB.

ds8582
Matt Millen is got hosed!!

TacticaLion

Detroit now has the worst secondary in the league.. nice job.Lions best defensive player? What part of "doesn't fit the cover 2" didnt you get? Or, was it the "Shaun Rogers" or "Ernie Sims" that you missed?

Both teams benefited greatly. Bell is definately not a bad back, and Foster is an upgrade over many players on our OLine. And... we didn't want Bly.

You can have him. Enjoy the bitching, whining and disrespect towards teammates.

Vikings4ever

Clinton Portis? Tatum Bell?

bsaza2358
03-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Good points, Tactica. See my post above. We agree.

Craigo
03-01-2007, 01:21 PM
I think I could get 1000 in Denver.

This continues the endless loop of 1000 yard RB's from Denver who get traded and do nothing for the rest of their career. End up working at some gas station remembering the days they were 1000 yard rushers.

Xiomera
03-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Detroit got a draft pick in this trade too? Reportedly a 5th rounder . . .

I missed that! This just keeps getting better.

Craigo
03-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Lions best defensive player? What part of "doesn't fit the cover 2" didnt you get? Or, was it the "Shaun Rogers" or "Ernie Sims" that you missed?

Both teams benefited greatly. Bell is definately not a bad back, and Foster is an upgrade over many players on our OLine. And... we didn't want Bly.

You can have him. Enjoy the bitching, whining and disrespect towards teammates.
My bad, I forgot about Shaun Rogers cause he was hurt for so long.

I would ***** and moan if I was in Detroit too.

bsaza2358
03-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Wow. I am surprised. Though, there was a pretty strong trade market for Bly's services. Other teams were bidding. Denver must really like Bly...

yourfavestoner
03-01-2007, 01:24 PM

No, he's not a perfect fit because, like I've told you before, he sucks. He's a classic example of a guy who looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane.

slightlyaraiderfan
03-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Trying out a few things and I just merged my first posts. I was trying to merge Paul's thread into Vince's, guess I did it wrong. =\

bigbluedefense
03-01-2007, 01:28 PM
No, he's not a perfect fit because, like I've told you before, he sucks. He's a classic example of a guy who looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane.

First, my bad on the Shannahan not drafting day 1 RBs, I was wrong.

2nd...shoot, how many "Janes" did Shannahan convert to Tarzans already? He can make it work.

LonghornsLegend
03-01-2007, 01:31 PM
good trade for both teams...i like what detroit has now with a healthy kevin jones and tatum bell splitting the carries, and help on the O line, but i wouldnt throw away the joe thomas pick nor would i the calvin johnson pick, or even quinn....

matt millen isnt the type to always think trade down, he strikes me as the guy who would rather have the superstar....joe thomas would leave make them go from a horrible O line to very good and young, with 2 good young backs, and a nice WR core....

i think kitna could win some games with that O, and i think thats their best pick there, unless arizona wants to jump up maybe they can still grab a defensive player...

and in denvers case its brilliant i think, bell was easily replacable as much as he was hurt, as good as he was, they can find another one just as easy...and they secondary is sick now, bly will be even better opposite bailey, and he didnt have that complement in detroit...i think denver drafts a RB but it might be sooner then we are used to this year

Vikings4ever
03-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Lions | Pick received from Denver as part of trade compensation
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 11:26:57 -0800

Updating previous reports, Michael Smith, of ESPN.com, reports the Denver Broncos also traded an undisclosed draft choice, which is believed to be a fifth-round pick, to the Detroit Lions in exchange for CB Dre' Bly. As reported, the Broncos also parted ways with RB Tatum Bell and OT George Foster.

KFFL.com

yourfavestoner
03-01-2007, 01:35 PM

2nd...shoot, how many "Janes" did Shannahan convert to Tarzans already? He can make it work.

Meh...I've just seen enough of the guy to really, really doubt how much pro potential he has.

When you look at him on paper, you think to yourself "damn, this is the player that Maurice Clarett was supposed to be." Then, you watch him play, see that he has no burst and gets brought down by arm tackles, and you get turned off.

keylime_5
03-01-2007, 01:49 PM
I think Antonio Pittman would be an awesome fit in Denver. He's a one cut back with great speed who has been compared over and over again to none other than former Bronco 2nd round pick, Clinton Portis.

OhioState
03-01-2007, 01:51 PM
bly is a great fit in denver,he fills a need and the lions got a great deal for him, now they can draft gaines to help out

yourfavestoner
03-01-2007, 01:53 PM
I think Antonio Pittman would be an awesome fit in Denver. He's a one cut back with great speed who has been compared over and over again to none other than former Bronco 2nd round pick, Clinton Portis.

Portis is actually exactly who I was thinking of when I said Pittman.

Jimmy
03-01-2007, 01:54 PM
1. Tatum Bell is worst cutback runner in NFL history in terms of the speed he has. He cant use it for his benefit. Have fun with that Detroit..

2. George Foster.... just sucks

3. Dre Bly and Champ Bailey both cause Turnovers, now more people will throw to champ.

4. now we have no needs at CB, and we might actually draft a high profile RB!!!

umphrey
03-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Both teams made out pretty well. Denver didn't lose anything, both of those players are expendable to them. They did make their dominant defense even better though and filled a major hole. I think Bly will do much better with a new team and when he has better players around him.

Bly didn't really fit in Detroit but they gained 2 players that should really improve their depth and/or start at times.

Number 10
03-01-2007, 01:55 PM
That is a STEAL for the Lions. Millen actually makes a good deal....great one at that.

bsaza2358
03-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Tatum Bell is worst cutback runner in NFL history in terms of the speed he has. He cant use it for his benefit. Have fun with that Detroit...

Have you ever noticed that Mike Martz doesn't run much of a cut-back running scheme? I think TBell's skill set fits nicely with what the Lions do. He is a stopgap until KJones rehabs.

niel89
03-01-2007, 02:03 PM

actually after the last draft shannahan said he would have taken a RB 1st round if one of the better ones was still there.

bsaza2358
03-01-2007, 02:05 PM
This is all a moot point. "Never" can become "sometimes" ever 15 min-utes in every draft situation...

TNewFan41
03-01-2007, 02:06 PM
If we played them T.O. and Terry Glenn will still light 'em up!!!

lol, good trade for the broncos though, I think they won more than Detroit.

Jimmy
03-01-2007, 02:07 PM
so basicly... we got dre bly, & champ bailey for clinton portis, tatum bell and george foster and a 5th

hahahaha
w00t

Shiver
03-01-2007, 02:11 PM
That is one ridiculous corner tandem.

bsaza2358
03-01-2007, 02:11 PM
If we played them T.O. and Terry Glenn will still light 'em up!!!

Dude, not everything in football has something to do with the Cowboys. When the Cowboys win a division title or a playoff game, you can talk about them in another team's thread... Leave it to the homer fans to bring an irrelevant point into an otherwise solid discussion...

niel89
03-01-2007, 02:18 PM
^true and nice

Mr. Stiller
03-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Pittsburgh would probably be excited to trade down with Denver for Denver to take Lynch.

I however think Lorenzo Booker would be a great candidate. With Shanny being the offensive genius, Lorenzo Booker is the best receiving and shifty RB in the draft. Add Mike Bell and you have a solid Duo to build up your young offense with Jay Cutler.

draftguru151
03-01-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm really not sure what to think of the trade. Foster was benched and Bell isn't a good fit, but Bly isn't really that great of a CB. If the Broncos can pick up a RB I like it, but right now I'm a bit iffy on it.

For the Lions, not sure if this has been discussed but does this lock up Quinn or Adams for them? I can't see them taking Thomas anymore.

princefielder28
03-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Pretty solid trade for both sides. Denvcer gets a starting corner opposite Champ, and Detroit gets a RB until Jones gets healthy, help on the O-Line and a draft pick

Vikings4ever
03-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Broncos | Team could be interested in J. Lewis
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:19:41 -0800

John Murphy, of Yahoo! Sports, reports the Denver Broncos may be interested in signing free-agent RB Jamal Lewis after trading RB Tatum Bell to the Detroit Lions.

KFFL.com

49ersfan_87
03-01-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm really not sure what to think of the trade. Foster was benched and Bell isn't a good fit, but Bly isn't really that great of a CB. If the Broncos can pick up a RB I like it, but right now I'm a bit iffy on it.

For the Lions, not sure if this has been discussed but does this lock up Quinn or Adams for them? I can't see them taking Thomas anymore.

It doesnt rule out Thomas IMO. Who is going to stop taking the best LT in the draft because you just got a mediocre backup RT?

hugegmenfan
03-01-2007, 02:38 PM
most likely the lions will go DE now or QB in Quinn because Foster will take over tackle and that means Joe Thomas is most likely not there pick

niel89
03-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Broncos | Team could be interested in J. Lewis
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:19:41 -0800

John Murphy, of Yahoo! Sports, reports the Denver Broncos may be interested in signing free-agent RB Jamal Lewis after trading RB Tatum Bell to the Detroit Lions.

KFFL.com

they were looking at him last year too iirc

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-01-2007, 02:48 PM
It doesnt rule out Thomas IMO. Who is going to stop taking the best LT in the draft because you just got a mediocre backup RT?

You are partially right we could still take Thomas. Thomas could be the LT of the future. But Backus just got a huge deal at LT last offseason 40 mil. He is here for at least two more years because of his cap hit alone if traded/cut. Woody has a nice sized base salary(highest on the team), Foster probably has a decent salary being a former Round 1 pick and then Thomas would be making #2 money if taken. It might be worth it if we have a good O-line, but Thomas or Backus would now move to LG. I think it could be done, but that is a lot of money to pay for a LG with either Backus or Thomas. I think if that happened Thomas would play LG at first and then would move to LT eventually for the future as he gets used to the NFL. I would think the Lions would have the highest salaried O-line if we take Thomas.

The Lions really need a pass rush. Gaines Adams seems like a great pick to me. Marinelli knows a good DE when he sees it and I will have confidence in him if we take him because its Marinelli helping judge the talent.

As far as Foster, he is not a backup. He was benched at the end of last year because of weight issues. Denver runs the ZBS which requires smaller atheltic linemen. I think Foster could work in Detroit at Right Tackle. He certainly is an upgrade over Stockar McDougle, Kelly Butler,Rex Tucker, Barry Stokes and Jonathan Scott. Plus Foster has experience blocking for Tatum Bell. They know each other and Bell has had decent production and gives us that home run threat.

Man_Of_Steel
03-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Great move, what a tandem.

TacticaLion
03-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Why was Bly an overrated, declining and "average" corner a week ago, and now forms "one of the best CB duos in the NFL"?

Fans are stupid.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-01-2007, 03:16 PM
I don't know if I'm the first one to say this or not since I only skimmed through the first page, but WHY ON EARTH would the Lions not take Joe Thomas now? Do you guys really think that George f'n Foster is going to solve your O-Line problems?!

TacticaLion
03-01-2007, 03:20 PM
I don't know if I'm the first one to say this or not since I only skimmed through the first page, but WHY ON EARTH would the Lions not take Joe Thomas now? Do you guys really think that George f'n Foster is going to solve your O-Line problems?!Let me put this comment to rest: because the Lions don't just have 1 hole... the Lions have 5 or 6 holes. They need to fill CB, DE, MLB early in the draft, and someone in the Lions' management must think that Foster can come in and improve one of their positions. Read this:

(An aside here: At this point, I think the Lions would help themselves the most by taking tackle Joe Thomas, the second-best no-brainer in the draft. But you should know this -- the Lions aren't as concerned about their offensive line as you and I are. Sure, they'd like to upgrade it, but they don't think it's a ddesperate situation.)

So, no... JThomas isn't an option anymore. They'll target DE (Gaines Adams) without a trade down or MLB (Patrick Willis) with a trade down in the first round.

(Side note: the Lions' offense didn't have a bad year last year... and the OLine was injured for most of the year. Adding Foster and having the starters healthy will only improve things. With the singing of Curtis and the trade to grab Bell, the offense will run smoothly and put up better numbers than last year. The focus now is defense.)

BehrenMan007
03-01-2007, 03:21 PM
if the pick is on the 1st day, seems like a lot to get bly. but if its like a 6th, it seems good for both teams

TacticaLion
03-01-2007, 03:27 PM
if the pick is on the 1st day, seems like a lot to get bly. but if its like a 6th, it seems good for both teams

The pick is a 5th round pick.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Taking Thomas would have been expensive for our O-line with Woody's high salary, Backus's big contract and Thomas with number 2 money. It's still possible but our O-line would be making a ton of money and one person would be out of position at guard. Possibly Thomas, then Thomas eventually moving over to LT once Backus is gone.

That being said we still neeed a LG badly. If we take Thomas, we will have a very expensive Left Guard in either Backus or Thomas. Personally, I could see us taking a left guard in Round 2 or Round 3 and I think are line will be in much better shape than last year if they stay healthy.

Backus,Grubbs(if we're lucky),Raiola,Woody,Foster looks a whole lot better than last years

Backus,Verba/DeMulling/another overpaid FA,Raiola,Woody(onIR),Tucker/Scott

Notredameleo
03-01-2007, 03:43 PM
I think that the trade works out for both sides.. Denver gets a cornerback opposite Champ, and Lions get depth at the rb and o-line and fills some needs headed into the offseason.

lionsfan81
03-01-2007, 04:00 PM
the trade is perfect for both teams, the lions got OL depth and a possible starter at RT who didnt fit the zone blocking scheme, but could fit the lions scheme. same with tatum bell, he fit the zone blocking scheme to some extent but the lions didnt trade for bell to be the starter, they want him to be the backup RB behind jones and be a replacement if jones isnt healthy in time, plus they got a 5th rounder. Now the broncos fill a need at the CB position and have one of the top secondarys in the league. Bly is a perfect fit for denver and will get at least 6 ints this season, mark my words. Not being the #1 corner will help him too, hes a perfect compliment to champ bailey.

The Unseen
03-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Good trade on both sides, it seems. Positives and negatives on both sides kinda cancel out.

njx9
03-01-2007, 04:24 PM
i'm honestly in shock at how many people think detroit got great players. i think they made a great deal getting rid of a guy who didn't want to be there and didn't have a place there, but then, tatum bell has been FAR uglier than his stats would lead you to believe and foster is a back-up linemen for a team that regularly takes 7th round and undrafted players and turns them into a top unit. they may fit better in detroit, but it's utterly ridiculous for ANYONE to believe they've been quality players at any point in their respective careers.

that said, anyone who calls this a top CB tandem because we added dre bly is, imo, a bit misguided right now.

to call this anything other than a trade of convenience for both teams (getting rid of driftwood that would've been cut otherwise) is silly.

yourfavestoner
03-01-2007, 04:29 PM
i'm honestly in shock at how many people think detroit got great players. i think they made a great deal getting rid of a guy who didn't want to be there and didn't have a place there, but then, tatum bell has been FAR uglier than his stats would lead you to believe and foster is a back-up linemen for a team that regularly takes 7th round and undrafted players and turns them into a top unit. they may fit better in detroit, but it's utterly ridiculous for ANYONE to believe they've been quality players at any point in their respective careers.

that said, anyone who calls this a top CB tandem because we added dre bly is, imo, a bit misguided right now.

to call this anything other than a trade of convenience for both teams (getting rid of driftwood that would've been cut otherwise) is silly.

Pretty much. This trade is simply a case of one man's trash being another man's treasure for both sides. Both teams should be happy that they got anything for the players they gave up, because, as you said, they weren't really worth anything anyways.

njx9
03-01-2007, 04:31 PM
exactly. i'm a bit more annoyed with it now that we've given up a 5th as well, but to get anything for bell/foster is a good thing, imo. i know (from this thread) that lions fans feel the same way about bly.

Caddy
03-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Good trades on both parts in my opinion

Staubach12
03-01-2007, 04:34 PM
I could most definately see Denver trading up for Lynch now much like they did for Cutler.

njx9
03-01-2007, 04:35 PM
one can only hope. i only see it happening if snyder decides to pick up when shanahan calls him, or lynch's times result in him dropping to 15 or so.

Chucky
03-01-2007, 05:06 PM
their secondary is one of the tops in the league, along with their LB's, if only their Dline didnt suck so bad.if they traded up for Lynch they would be unstoppable

P.S. they are now the best madden team

TacticaLion
03-01-2007, 05:57 PM

to call this anything other than a trade of convenience for both teams (getting rid of driftwood that would've been cut otherwise) is silly.I couldn't disagree more.

Can you honestly tell me that George Foster isn't an upgrade over what the Lions currently have at RT? No... you cannot. As much as you may think that Foster is a "back-up linemen" (although he started 45 of a possible 48 games for the Broncos over the last three years... on an offensive line that is known to turn any player into a 1,000+ yard back), Foster is a definate upgrade and will improve the unit GREATLY. That gives the Lions a potential line of Backus-[---]-Raiola-Woody-Foster, which is a solid line... and much improved from last year, when the Lions' offense actually performed well (with names such as Frank Davis, Jon Scott, Stephen Peterman and Rick DeMulling *starting* games for the Lions).

This also changes their focus for the draft. Now that they've filled one hole, they can focus on improving other areas.

Now, onto Bell. With KJones out, Bell was the PERFECT pick-up for the Lions. They could've spent a draft pick on a young back (which would leave them two young, unproven backs), or gotten rid of one of the last "trash" pieces of the old Lions to improve two areas of need. Bell will thrive in Martz' offense... and will give the Lions a powerful 1-2 punch when Jones is healthy.

Bly. When he plays in a system that fits his talents, he is a playmaker. You MIGHT have forgotten his previous seasons... but he had great numbers and deserved his spots in those Pro Bowls. Paired with Bailey, they will form a great CB duo... you won't want to throw to one but will get picked throwing to the other.

You can pretend that this trade was simply a "convenicence", but you will be proven wrong. The Broncos secondary will be much improved with Bly and the Lions offense will be much improved with Bell/Foster.

lionsfan81
03-01-2007, 06:26 PM
ok i get it, i hear foster isnt that good, but trust me, even if he ends up a backup, hes better than any olineman backups we got. including the now cut ross verba. i personally hope he just is a backup with depth and jonathan scott is the starter. this just helps us not have to draft another rookie OLman

njx9
03-01-2007, 06:43 PM
I couldn't disagree more.

yippee... i get to argue with someone who's likely barely seen foster or bell play. this should be fun.

Can you honestly tell me that George Foster isn't an upgrade over what the Lions currently have at RT? No... you cannot.

which has what, exactly, to do with anything i said? i said that certain people were making it sounds as if the lions were getting a bunch of studs for nothing from denver. which is stupid. regardless...

As much as you may think that Foster is a "back-up linemen" (although he started 45 of a possible 48 games for the Broncos over the last three years... on an offensive line that is known to turn any player into a 1,000+ yard back)

which he was, for the second half of this season. oh wait, except for when injuries forced him back into the starting line-up. but yeah, shanny just pulled him for fun at mid-season then plugged him back in because he's actually an incredible RT. i must've missed where meadows injury left us with no viable alternative.

Foster is a definate upgrade and will improve the unit GREATLY.

wonderful. your o-line was a joke. the fact that a guy we would have cut improves it does not make this some incredible swindle by matt millen. it means your o-line was pathetic and likely could've been similarly improved by several guys already on the market.

That gives the Lions a potential line of Backus-[---]-Raiola-Woody-Foster, which is a solid line... and much improved from last year, when the Lions' offense actually performed well (with names such as Frank Davis, Jon Scott, Stephen Peterman and Rick DeMulling *starting* games for the Lions).

hooray. again, the fact that your o-line sucks does not mean you nabbed a superstar for nothing from denver (the whole point of my comment).

This also changes their focus for the draft. Now that they've filled one hole, they can focus on improving other areas.

again, you're arguing irrelevant material.

Now, onto Bell. With KJones out, Bell was the PERFECT pick-up for the Lions. They could've spent a draft pick on a young back (which would leave them two young, unproven backs), or gotten rid of one of the last "trash" pieces of the old Lions to improve two areas of need. Bell will thrive in Martz' offense... and will give the Lions a powerful 1-2 punch when Jones is healthy.

what tatum bell have you been watching that you think will do anything anywhere near "thrive" in martz's system? he doesn't catch particularly well. he's injury prone. he fumbles every time you give him the ball in a key situation. and none of that had to do with the fact that he has very little vision. regardless.

Bly. When he plays in a system that fits his talents, he is a playmaker. You MIGHT have forgotten his previous seasons... but he had great numbers and deserved his spots in those Pro Bowls. Paired with Bailey, they will form a great CB duo... you won't want to throw to one but will get picked throwing to the other.

deltha o'neal had great stats, too. and he also got burned twice for every pick he had in his pro bowl season in denver. i've learned to look past the pretty numbers. further, from what i've heard, bly is a similar player. he'll gamble and come up big, or gamble and get burned badly. he's a starting CB in the league, but i think anyone who believes he's made our pass defense astronomically better is drinking some seriously strong kool-aid.

You can pretend that this trade was simply a "convenicence", but you will be proven wrong. The Broncos secondary will be much improved with Bly and the Lions offense will be much improved with Bell/Foster.

how was it anything but when ALL THREE players were likely cut? again, bly does not, in my mind, represent a massive upgrade over foxworth. tatum bell isn't even an expected starter. and george foster was awful here.

i'm not going to say all three will be worthless players next year, but past history can't lead you to many other conclusions about bell and foster, and past history doesn't show me anything special in bly.

LionSmack
03-01-2007, 06:45 PM
It's a pretty even trade, which you can tell from both sides thinking they clearly got the better of it.

Denver fans, let me tell you something. Bly will get you a handful of picks and may take a couple to the house, but believe me, when you see him get torched by 4 or 5 yards on a fly pattern for a TD, or let his man catch a ball in front of him and miss the tackle letting him go for a huge gain, or give up 8 catches for 100+ yards to a #2 receiver, then you will know that you didn't get what you thought you were getting. Bly has always done this, even his first year or two here. He will likely be better in a better overall secondary, but he not a shut down corner. Not even close.

TacticaLion
03-01-2007, 07:27 PM
yippee... i get to argue with someone who's likely barely seen foster or bell play. this should be fun.

which has what, exactly, to do with anything i said? i said that certain people were making it sounds as if the lions were getting a bunch of studs for nothing from denver. which is stupid. regardless...

which he was, for the second half of this season. oh wait, except for when injuries forced him back into the starting line-up. but yeah, shanny just pulled him for fun at mid-season then plugged him back in because he's actually an incredible RT. i must've missed where meadows injury left us with no viable alternative.

wonderful. your o-line was a joke. the fact that a guy we would have cut improves it does not make this some incredible swindle by matt millen. it means your o-line was pathetic and likely could've been similarly improved by several guys already on the market.

hooray. again, the fact that your o-line sucks does not mean you nabbed a superstar for nothing from denver (the whole point of my comment).

again, you're arguing irrelevant material.

what tatum bell have you been watching that you think will do anything anywhere near "thrive" in martz's system? he doesn't catch particularly well. he's injury prone. he fumbles every time you give him the ball in a key situation. and none of that had to do with the fact that he has very little vision. regardless.

deltha o'neal had great stats, too. and he also got burned twice for every pick he had in his pro bowl season in denver. i've learned to look past the pretty numbers. further, from what i've heard, bly is a similar player. he'll gamble and come up big, or gamble and get burned badly. he's a starting CB in the league, but i think anyone who believes he's made our pass defense astronomically better is drinking some seriously strong kool-aid.

how was it anything but when ALL THREE players were likely cut? again, bly does not, in my mind, represent a massive upgrade over foxworth. tatum bell isn't even an expected starter. and george foster was awful here.

i'm not going to say all three will be worthless players next year, but past history can't lead you to many other conclusions about bell and foster, and past history doesn't show me anything special in bly.

I'm not going to waste time arguing opinions or against your ego. Foster WAS a starter for the Broncos for quite some time... and did it when Denver made "anyone a 1,000+ back". He started each game for two years for that OLine... if he played "awful" in Denver, why do I feel he would've been replaced long ago? Interesting...

You "look past the pretty numbers"... and right to your worthless opinions. The facts are there: in a system that Bly can play in, he's a Pro Bowl corner; Foster constantly played on an OLine known for its dominance; and Bell is a talented, young back that has a career 4.9 average yards per carry and will complement the Lions' offense... with and without Jones. Each player will improve their new team, which is all that really matters.

So, no... this trade was not just a "trade of convenience"... it was a great move by both teams.

Splat
03-01-2007, 07:32 PM
As much as I hate Denver I have to give it up they make moves.

njx9
03-01-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm not going to waste time arguing opinions or against your ego. Foster WAS a starter for the Broncos for quite some time... and did it when Denver made "anyone a 1,000+ back". He started each game for two years for that OLine... if he played "awful" in Denver, why do I feel he would've been replaced long ago? Interesting...

You "look past the pretty numbers"... and right to your worthless opinions. The facts are there: in a system that Bly can play in, he's a Pro Bowl corner; Foster constantly played on an OLine known for its dominance; and Bell is a talented, young back that has a career 4.9 average yards per carry and will complement the Lions' offense... with and without Jones. Each player will improve their new team, which is all that really matters.

So, no... this trade was not just a "trade of convenience"... it was a great move by both teams.

arguing with my "ego" because i've actually, you know, watched two of the players? nice cop out. i can't imagine why foster was starting his second and third year in the league. maybe because he was a first round pick and the guy who'd started before him was ephraim salaam? no, i'm wrong. it must've been because he was stellar and i'm just too blind/stupid to see what you clearly saw in him by not watching him play. excellent analysis. maybe sometime you'll stop by the broncos board and tell me all about a team you don't watch and even better, you'll base it off a single statistic.

but then, jake plummer must be an utterly amazing starting quarterback, given that he started all but 5 games he could've started since he got to denver.

you're "argument" essentially boils down to yelling "your opinions suck!!! i have stats!!!! hahahaha!!!! you're opinion is worthless solely because i say it is!!!!"

http://www.jewsforjudaism.org/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_roll.gif

cunningham06
03-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Bly's probably going to rack up the interceptions this season now that he's the "weak link" out of the two CB's. He is great at breaking up plays so he'll be interesting to watch this season.

yourfavestoner
03-01-2007, 08:42 PM
TacticaLion: Ephraim Salaam was a starter for the Broncos offensive line for a few years, and he's one of the worst offensive linemen I've ever seen. The Broncos keep lineman that they like for awhile (Nalen, Lepsis, etc).

TacticaLion
03-01-2007, 09:44 PM
TacticaLion: Ephraim Salaam was a starter for the Broncos offensive line for a few years, and he's one of the worst offensive linemen I've ever seen. The Broncos keep lineman that they like for awhile (Nalen, Lepsis, etc).I'm just suprised that a team can do what Denver has done (make a 1,000+ yard rusher out of anyone) yet the players on the offensive line aren't credited. He started 45 of 48 games for that unit, yet njx9 refers to him as a "back-up" and that he's not a "quality" player.

Whatever.

you're "argument" essentially boils down to yelling "your opinions suck!!! i have stats!!!! hahahaha!!!! you're opinion is worthless solely because i say it is!!!!"
That may be true, but having stats/a logical reason for something holds more weight than saying "I know more than you about everything, so you're wrong".

njx9 is the Mel Kiper of NFLDC.com (pre-combine)... without the hair and useful information. He just says **** to get attention.

JDRaymond
03-01-2007, 09:47 PM
bb's own, bailey and bly

Bearsfan123
03-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Id like a Denver fans opinion. Does this trade open up trading routes for possibly Julius Jones (I dunno if hes on the block or not, but i heard a rumor that he was) or Willis McGahee?

niel89
03-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Id like a Denver fans opinion. Does this trade open up trading routes for possibly Julius Jones (I dunno if hes on the block or not, but i heard a rumor that he was) or Willis McGahee?

also thomas jones and jamal lewis

njx9
03-01-2007, 11:46 PM
That may be true, but having stats/a logical reason for something holds more weight than saying "I know more than you about everything, so you're wrong".

i have never implied that i know more than you about anything other than the broncos as a team, which is indisputable fact. again, you're quoting a single statistic, games started, and when i quote it back in a different context, you can't even fabricate a response, so you try to ignore it. again, denver has made the playoffs 3/4 years in which plummer has started all but 5 games (and only missed in the season he didn't start all 16). by your bizarre logic, that makes him one of the best qb's in the league. again, don't selectively use moronic stats and then try to ignore them when they don't fit.

again, ephraim salaam started 30/30 games for two years in denver in which clinton portis ran for 1500 yards and about 1600 yards, both better totals than in any season foster manned the position. by your logic, not only is salaam a better RT than foster, he's also one of the best RTs in the league. again, verifiably untrue.

i have no idea what you want me to point out here. he was BENCHED this season. he only played because meadows was hurt and we had no viable back-up. get that through your thick head. he was a back up for all intents and purposes this season. or just keep quoting starts as if it's the only meaningful fact that anyone has brought to this argument even though you refuse to respond to a single argument using your precious stat in which it's clearly being misued in the exact same context.

we won't even mention bell again, because you seem to think a 4.9 yard per carry average is far more important than being benched for fumbling in crucial situations and being injury prone. but hey, what do i know. i mean, i only WATCHED the guys. you quoted STATS.

goblue8888
03-02-2007, 12:39 AM
Denver will get one of macgahhe,lewis ,green or jones imo. I also think we get graham which will also bolster the run game.

njx9
03-02-2007, 12:43 AM
We will get one of macgahhe,lewis ,green or jones imo. I also think we get graham which will also bolster the run game.

who is we? denver? if so, i think you're deluded.

goblue8888
03-02-2007, 12:48 AM
who is we? denver? if so, i think you're deluded.

No i'am not everyone says we dont have cap space but every year they say that and we still sign people or trade for them.

njx9
03-02-2007, 01:01 AM
why would we sign an over the hill or over priced running back when there are several backs who would fit our system well in the draft? i also don't understand why we'd sign graham, when we already have alexander.

jth1331
03-02-2007, 06:13 AM
I'm a Denver fan, and I agree with njx9 that Foster is a backup OL at best. He got benched last year because his play in games and practice was horrible, and if it weren't for Adam Meadows getting hurt, Foster would never have been back on the field. Foster is also responsible for Cutler's concussion against the 49ers, Foster giving one of his "Ole" blocks. Foster does not pass block very well and is adequate at best in the running game. Denver got most of its yards running to the left side of the line, not the right. I think people just see "Denver OT" and "Former 1st round pick" and think he is actually a very good OT when he is not.
As for Tatum Bell, if he is such a good back, why did he have more fumbles than touchdowns last year? He has been hurt every year in the league, and I have no idea where it came from that he has good hands. He was hardly used as a receiver in Denver. He also has no vision, and no "power" to fight through a tackle or two. Isn't it funny Shanahan preferred an undrafted rookie RB in Mike Bell over Tatum Bell late in the season?

jth1331
03-02-2007, 06:17 AM
why would we sign an over the hill or over priced running back when there are several backs who would fit our system well in the draft? i also don't understand why we'd sign graham, when we already have alexander.

I don't know about you, but I think we need an experienced back. Anyways, I'd be more comfortable. However, I don't really like anyone we are supposedly going after.
Lewis? Yuck
Green? No thanks, too old
McGahee? Heck no

As for Graham, he is a terrific blocking TE and would allow us to actually get rid of 2 of the TE's on our roster so we can use those spots for other needs. In a way, Graham > Alexander. However, I do not want him for the money he is likely to command, which is ridiculous if you ask me. Like $10 mil guaranteed and $5 mil per year average.

goblue8888
03-02-2007, 07:46 AM
Graham will come here cheaper

Bearsfan123
03-02-2007, 09:09 AM
im sorry, i may just not be seeing it, but what are the minuses to McGahee? Hes young, a solid runner, and will most likely be better than most anyone you can get in the draft. (Ok Lynch might be better but youd have to trade up to get him) Also the maturity issues really isnt a problem since you guys have a veteran such as Rod Smith who can help keep him in line.

jth1331
03-02-2007, 10:02 AM
i wouldn't say maturity isn't an issue anywhere. maturity failed maurice clarett, dale carter and daryl gardner in denver (just for a few examples). i'm not sold on mcgahee as a cutback runner in denver's system, he's coming off two sub-4ypc seasons, he has an injury history, rumor (and please correct me, this is complete hearsay) has it that he didn't try very hard and that he didn't hit holes as hard as he needed to. the last one is the most damning in my mind. if true, then he's no better here than tatum was.

Those points make me question McGahee. Heck, he didn't even get 1,000 yards last year and I hear Anthony Thomas performed better than he did in Buffalo. I think he still lives on the Miami hype when he was predicted to be a top 5 pick before his injury. He has one decent season and 2 subpar seasons. The only positive is he is still young, 25, and could get under track in Denver, but I'm skeptical.

Bearsfan123
03-02-2007, 03:56 PM
But for a third you could possibly get a stud. I dunno. McGahee looks attractive to me for the Broncos, but I dont understand their running attack so my opinion is moot. Regardless, i think its a viable option to look at.