PDA

View Full Version : 49ers sign Takeo Spikes to play TED.

Chief49er
08-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Starting linebacking corps, from left to right,: Manny Lawson, Takeo Spikes, Patrick Willis and Justin Smith.

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4451&section=PR%20News

Matthew Jones
08-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Nice signing.

CJSchneider
08-10-2008, 10:30 PM
I love it. BTW, nice sig, I had that clip as my avy at one time.

Rob S
08-10-2008, 10:32 PM
I will always love TKO.

Ness
08-10-2008, 11:44 PM
I just hope he doesn't get blasted by opposing offensive linemen all the time like Thomas and Moore did.

Rob S
08-11-2008, 01:16 AM
I just hope he doesn't get blasted by opposing offensive linemen all the time like Thomas and Moore did.

He is not what he was pre injury and it is a shame. He was far and away my favorite Bill. While he isnt where he was physically, one thing u can expect from TKO is all out effort every sunday. He is an intense, intense player in the fashion that Ray Lewis is. Even if he disappoints playing wise.....I think u will love hi anyway, especially because I am sure u have him for cheap.

Menardo75
08-11-2008, 03:02 AM
Yeah great signing upgrade over all the other inside guys...besides P-willy of course :)

yourfavestoner
08-11-2008, 03:23 AM
Good signing as a stop gap player. I like it.

fenikz
08-11-2008, 03:44 AM
good signing, and it will shut some people up about Willis

eaglesalltheway
08-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Glad to see TKO has a team. He was only an Eagles for a year, and I loved him. First of all, he is a physical specimen like very few others, even at his age. Second, of all he gives everything he has ALL THE TIME, not just Sunday. Third, he has an obvious love for the game, and finally, is a still a good player. Lots for SF fans to love thier. Enjoy him SF, I did for the short time he was here.

bored of education
08-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Interesting signing. I like it.

bsaza2358
08-11-2008, 09:33 AM
I think it was a great signing. Provided he can get up to speed quickly, TKO will be an emotional leader, and a solid performer for SF.

themaninblack
08-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Justin Smith is playing Linebacker? I'm trying to keep from laughing.

Anyway, nice signing. I wish TKO would've stayed on board with the Bengals when Marvin became the HC.

MasterShake
08-11-2008, 01:32 PM

Anyway, nice signing. I wish TKO would've stayed on board with the Bengals when Marvin became the HC.

Justin Smith doesn't play a true LB spot, sometimes he lines up there, but he just rushes from the spot. I don't think he'll be involved in much coverage.

princefielder28
08-11-2008, 03:01 PM
if they can get anything from their offense maybe they can live up to the expectations of last season b/c that defense looks solid

ChezPower4
08-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Run defense in the middle is going to be sick with T-K-O

Ness
08-11-2008, 03:30 PM

He drew double teams in his first preseason game which allowed Ray McDonald to sack JaMarcus Russell. He should work fine within our system. Apparently he was getting good penetration on the line of scrimmage.

BlindSite
08-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Good signing.

Am I the only one who just worked out too that a 49er is a type of little 2 man sail boat?

themaninblack
08-11-2008, 05:19 PM
He drew double teams in his first preseason game which allowed Ray McDonald to sack JaMarcus Russell. He should work fine within our system. Apparently he was getting good penetration on the line of scrimmage.

He dropped in coverage a little bit in Cincy but he clearly does not have the hips to do it on a regular basis. Honestly, I figured they would make him add some weight and play weakside DE in a 3-4. He's actually pretty good at stuffing the run. He could be a decent pass rusher if he ever learned more than one move.

Menardo75
08-11-2008, 05:30 PM
He is a good football player he will be fine no matter what he does

themaninblack
08-11-2008, 06:43 PM
He's definitely a good player but he never did live up to his draft position which is why he wasn't very liked in Cincy.

DanteXavier
08-11-2008, 11:11 PM
I met TKO once back during the summer of my 7th grade year at a football camp he came to in Buffalo. He was a great guy, really and truly. The talk he gave us was meaningful and relevant(not just cliched-he did it as though he cared about us and wanted to be there). He even patted me on the head and complimented me on my toughness when this high school senior ran me over in a drill.

I like that guy a lot, and I wish him all of the very best.

WMD
08-12-2008, 01:12 AM
They should've just kept Derek Smith!

farfromforgotten
08-12-2008, 11:51 PM
He's definitely a good player but he never did live up to his draft position which is why he wasn't very liked in Cincy.

With an average of 70 tackles and 7 sacks per year from the DE position I dont see why Bengals fans would not like this guy. Unless they dont like steady performers? I know he only had 2 sacks last year, but honestly, how many other Bengals on the defensive side of the ball have you guys had in recent years that put up reliable numbers over a span of 7 straight years? Heck, for more than a couple of years?

True, for a number 4 overall pick, those numbers arent earth shattering. 2001 had its share of very good to great players (Tomlinson, Seymour, Hutchinson, Stroud, Hampton, Clements, Wayne and McAllister) but, looking over the rest of the draft now, the majority of the other first rounders picked that year either A) never put up numbers on a consistant basis better than Smith, regardless of position, B) are backups in the league or, C) are out of football completely. Things could have been a lot worse and considering the bad luck the Bengals have had with recent defensive picks, you know this.

no love
08-13-2008, 04:11 AM

Justin Smith is more of an elephant LB in a 3-4 and 4-3 hybrid scheme. Basically they seem to want to move him around all over the place to create mismatches with whoever he has the best match up against. In some cases he will be a passrush OLB, in other case he will be a RE and in other cases he will slide down to DT.

Inevitably you have to look at Justin Smith in the larger picture of what the 49er defense is trying to do... create a defense that can give an opponent a lot of looks due to their players versatility.

For instance, Lawson is often dropped into deep middle coverage like a safety. Willis is a Mike who can also rush the passer or take on blockers. Takeo Spikes is a TED who has plenty of experience playing the Mike. Sopoaga is a LE who has experience at NT and UT. Balmer has the physical ability to play anywhere along the d-line. Basically this is a very versatile unit that will really rely on their ability to disguise what they are doing on defense.

themaninblack
08-13-2008, 11:57 AM
With an average of 70 tackles and 7 sacks per year from the DE position I dont see why Bengals fans would not like this guy. Unless they dont like steady performers? I know he only had 2 sacks last year, but honestly, how many other Bengals on the defensive side of the ball have you guys had in recent years that put up reliable numbers over a span of 7 straight years? Heck, for more than a couple of years?

True, for a number 4 overall pick, those numbers arent earth shattering. 2001 had its share of very good to great players (Tomlinson, Seymour, Hutchinson, Stroud, Hampton, Clements, Wayne and McAllister) but, looking over the rest of the draft now, the majority of the other first rounders picked that year either A) never put up numbers on a consistant basis better than Smith, regardless of position, B) are backups in the league or, C) are out of football completely. Things could have been a lot worse and considering the bad luck the Bengals have had with recent defensive picks, you know this.

Well, when you tell the media you guarantee so many sacks(I think he said 18) then never break the 10 sack mark, most fans aren't going to like that. Then, when a fourth round pick(Robert Geathers) goes out and hits that mark for the first time in over a decade in a Bengals uniform, it did not bode well for him here. I'm not saying I didn't like him as a player at all but at the same I did not think he was worth the money we were paying him.

And I understand what JSmith's role is in the Niners defense. I just assumed ever since he was signed to a 3-4 team that he would be a DE and not an OLB.