PDA

View Full Version : Packers-Bengals, Preseason Week 1

princefielder28
08-11-2008, 06:06 PM
The Rodgers Era begins and the Packers, as a team, can move on; this is step one.

Let's discuss!

Goatboy1717
08-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Green Bay - Several starters will not play for the Packers tonight against the Bengals.

RB Ryan Grant, WR Greg Jennings, DT Johnny Jolly, C Scott Wells and cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson are among the players that will not dress for the game.

Grant (hamstring), Jennings (knee), Wells (abdominal) and Jolly (hip flexor) have been bothered lately by minor injuries. Harris had his back flare up on him late in the week. Woodson is probably getting some rest.

Other players out for the Packers: S Charlie Peprah, LB Desmond Bishop, T Orrin Thompson, DT Ryan Pickett, DT Justin Harrell and DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila.

Lineup changes for the Packers:

* Jason Spitz starts at center for Wells;
* Josh Sitton starts at RG for Spitz;
* Brandon Jackson starts at RB for Grant;
* James Jones starts at WR for Jennings;
* Cullen Jenkins starts at RDT for Jolly;
* Colin Cole starts at LDT for Pickett;
* Michael Montgomery starts at RDE for Jenkins;
* Jarrett Bush starts at LCB for Woodson;
* Tramon Williams starts at RCB for Harris.

Scratches for the Bengals (with substitute):

* FB Jeremi Johnson;
* RB Rudi Johnson (Kenny Watson);
* S Chinedum Ndukwe;
* CB Ethan Kilmer;
* S Herana-Daze Jones;
* LB Dan Howell;
* WR T.J. Houshmandzah (Antonio Chatman);
* LB Rashad Jeanty (Darryl Blackstock);
* DE Antwan Odom (Jonathan Fanene).

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/08/11/grant-jennings-jolly-harris-amp-woodson-will-not-play.aspx

princefielder28
08-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Brandon Jackson probably needed to get a chip on Dexter Jackson with that blitz....tough but he left his QB out to dry

roughrider30
08-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Nice throw by Rodgers too bad Driver couldn't bring it in

princefielder28
08-11-2008, 07:43 PM
James Jones....WOW!

jackalope
08-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Rodger has looked pretty good so far. What a TD by Jones!

brat316
08-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Ben Utect got in, He can be a real threat for the bengals, up the middle

JF4
08-11-2008, 08:01 PM
******. This isn't on NFLN. No watchy for me.

brat316
08-11-2008, 08:01 PM
******. This isn't on NFLN. No watchy for me.

ESPN you don't get it

Edit O yeah Canada

Goatboy1717
08-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Anyone on the Rodgers bandwagon now? He looked pretty good out there tonight.

princefielder28
08-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Abdul Hodge with an appearance

brat316
08-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Perry running hard there, plowing over people

PalmerToCJ
08-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Rodgers didn't do bad at all. Jackson was battling on that one run. We've (obviously) sucked at tackling, I still can't believe how that worked on the Jones TD.

jackalope
08-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Rodgers didn't do bad at all. Jackson was battling on that one run. We've (obviously) sucked at tackling, I still can't believe how that worked on the Jones TD.

Yeah, Jackson had a few nice runs. He and Grant should be a good combo this year.

Goatboy1717
08-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Jackson looked good tonight too. Had a few nice runs. He was running the ball hard.

roidrunner
08-11-2008, 09:03 PM
i like rodgers but i still want to see what brohm can do over the preseason, and see how is progressing

brat316
08-11-2008, 09:06 PM
JOrdyzzzzz Nelsonzzzzzzzzzz

Pacific
08-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Aaron Rouse with the pick! Hopefully he continues to play well and can take the starting job.

themaninblack
08-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Kinda surprised Rouse isn't a starter. Really wanted the Bengals to draft him.

princefielder28
08-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Aaron Rouse with the pick! Hopefully he continues to play well and can take the starting job.

Rouse, interception? No way!

Favre4ever
08-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Kinda surprised Rouse isn't a starter. Really wanted the Bengals to draft him.

For some reason the coaches still like Collins a lot. The question has already been asked to McCarthy concerning Rouse and it seems like Collins and Bigby will start the year no matter how good Rouse plays. Rouse will be a very good player in this league.

PackerLegend
08-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Rodgers was like 9-15, 117 yards, 1 int, 1 TD without the couple drops he was more like 12-15, 117 yards, 1 TD.... looked pretty good and really happy afterwards. Im glad they gave him a standing ovation.

Our 1st team D really shut down Cincy's 1s even without Harris and Woodson among others.

Bengalsrocket
08-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Rodgers was like 9-15, 117 yards, 1 int, 1 TD without the couple drops he was more like 12-15, 117 yards, 1 TD.... looked pretty good and really happy afterwards. Im glad they gave him a standing ovation.

Our 1st team D really shut down Cincy's 1s even without Harris and Woodson among others.

Yes, that was really embarrassing for our offense. Hopefully once our offense is healthy again and we have all our starters we can move the ball a little better than that.

roidrunner
08-11-2008, 10:40 PM
first team defense really impressed me today, can not wait for the season to start

RockJock07
08-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Couple of things I noticed tonight. Aaron played well I thought, got screwed on a couple of well thrown balls. Overall I'm impressed and pleased with his performance.

Positives:
-Jackson was a monster although the bengals could tackle worth a damn but I still thought he ran with great power
-I thought Brohm played well later in his turn and Flynn was average but not great.
-I thought Jordy played really well and I would like to see him with the 1st team more.
-I thought the secondary played well when tested

Negatives:
-John Ryan looked awful
-I thought the defensive front 7 looked pretty bad but with all the starters out I think that could be turned into a positive with some health.
-The rookies on the O-line looked like rookies

Overall this was a so-so game, some good plays but really the 1st team looked pretty good even with Jennings out and the defense played well.

roidrunner
08-11-2008, 10:44 PM
yea ryan was pretty bad, how can you shank a punt for only 15 yards?

LonghornsLegend
08-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Finley looked HUGE out there, from the past few years seeing him he has never been that big, he has always looked more lean, skinny, and lanky but it looks like he has gained at least 10 lbs since left Texas...If you want to compare him to Martellus Bennett he looks 10x as good so don't take that for granted, I'll probably never get over taking Bennett over him...Still very early, but I hope he pans out because he has alot of potential.

James Jones looks like he really progressed too, he was playing on the outside and not in the slot like he usually is tonight and looked very sharp, he's a nice find and makes a QB's job easier with how well he catches, he reminds me of Patrick Crayton with a higher ceiling.

roidrunner
08-11-2008, 10:53 PM
god i can not wait for a 5 WR set. man that is going to be sick

RockJock07
08-11-2008, 11:18 PM

I'll second that, and instead of Ruvell it's jordy, sick indeed!

umphrey
08-11-2008, 11:19 PM
Thoughts

-Aaron Rouse looked to have better instincts and definitely has better hands than Collins. He is also very athletic. I hope he gets some 1st team snaps
-Abdul Hodge made a lot of good plays. He was explosive
-Jeremy Thompson gave a very forgettable performance
-Rodgers looked very sharp making great decisions. He is accurate with his passes but he seemed to throw everything high. He really strung out some receivers over the middle. He has to get that under control, but I think he will
-Brohm was better than I expected, especially later in the game. I think his interception was Humphrey fault because right after the play McCarthy gave him a WTF?!?? look
-Brandon Jackson looked very good. Quick, elusive, above average vision but still only average or below average power, speed, and blocking.
-It looks like the frontrunners we keep at RB will be Grant, Jackson Morency right now. Wynn didn't get many looks. Herron ran well and Lumpkin is intriguing.
-T Williams looked like he really seperated himself from the other CBs. He blanketed receivers and put out some big hits. I definitely saw one hit force an incompletion on what looked like a pass and catch. Bush looked pretty solid but I really hope we don't give him another shot at nickel this year.
-Nelson played with good instincts but he needs experience to adapt to the pro game
-Ruvell Martin looked great and Rodgers really likes him
-I can't wait til we cut Francies. He caused an interception on a ball that bounced off his numbers and dropped another 3rd down and long completion that hit him in the hands.

Did anyone see Pat Lee play today? How did the OL do, especially Sitton and Barbe? I missed some things because I was in a daze from the painkillers they gave me after surgery today. Might watch some parts of the game again tomorrow.

jackalope
08-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Lumpkin is intriguing.

Lumpkin impressed me when I went to TC over the weekend and he looked good up until his fumble today. Unfortunately for him he really had no chance at making the roster from the time he got here.

Did anyone see Pat Lee play today?

Come to think of it I can't remember seeing him at all today.

RockJock07
08-11-2008, 11:29 PM
I saw Pat Lee once, o-line look ok, bad on first drive but better after that.

TitleTown088
08-11-2008, 11:36 PM

Someone bust out the theraflu, this is gonna be sick!

Pat Lee played, I actually remember seeing him get burned once.

umphrey
08-11-2008, 11:39 PM
Also the announcers were painful to listen to. They probably spent 1/4 of the time talking about Favre, 1/4 talking about Chad Johnson and 1/4 talking about Aaron Rodgers. And they had no idea what was going on the game and ESPN kept airing pointless interviews when important things were happening in the game.

TitleTown088
08-11-2008, 11:52 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos;jsessionid=D05DF5E4263CF539255A28C412BB6D36 ?videoId=09000d5d809f10b2

Ha, listen to him when Jones makes the catch at the end.

" Hey wade, that was fairly manly".

Jones got jacked this off season, one strong dude. Top play as well.

roidrunner
08-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Rock jock what burb are you from???

Twiddler
08-12-2008, 12:03 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos;jsessionid=D05DF5E4263CF539255A28C412BB6D36 ?videoId=09000d5d809f10b2

Ha, listen to him when Jones makes the catch at the end.

" Hey wade, that was fairly manly".

Jones got jacked this off season, one strong dude. Top play as well.

Yeah, after listening to the ESPN crew I hope that we get the chance to listen to a game called by Wayne soon. That or else I'll bring the radio in and mute the TV.

And Jones really is big now, I couldn't believe how strong he was looking out there.

brat316
08-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Didn't you guys get Flowers cb

umphrey
08-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Didn't you guys get Flowers cb

No, everyone predicted we would for some reason. He would be too short at 5'9" to start for us. We got Pat Lee though.

TitleTown088
08-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Yeah, Flowers went to KC, si?

Goatboy1717
08-12-2008, 02:16 AM
Yeah, Flowers went to KC, si?

Si, Flowers to KC.

DiG
08-12-2008, 10:11 AM
-Rodgers looked very sharp making great decisions. He is accurate with his passes but he seemed to throw everything high. He really strung out some receivers over the middle. He has to get that under control, but I think he will Hate to rain on the parade but I thought Rodgers looked mediocre. A lot of his completions were dump offs and in most other instances he was putting his receivers in bad situations. The TD pass was not a good pass at all but jones made a spectacular catch and broke away from a big hit to score. The overthrown pass to Jones was the biggest glaring mistake. I don't think Jones had anyone within 15 yards of him. Would have been a clear TD. Thats not to say that Rodgers won't get it done because I'm rooting for him. I just don't think he had as good as a game as is being reported.

-Brandon Jackson looked very good. Quick, elusive, above average vision but still only average or below average power, speed, and blocking. I love when people automatically think the Packers only have one running back. What will hurt Jacksons playing time is his blocking. He is awful on blitz pickups but he should do well with the touches he gets though i think he needs to hit the hole harder.

-T Williams looked like he really seperated himself from the other CBs. He blanketed receivers and put out some big hits. I definitely saw one hit force an incompletion on what looked like a pass and catch. Bush looked pretty solid but I really hope we don't give him another shot at nickel this year. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was T Williams that whiffed the tackle on Perry at the 3 yard line on Perrys TD run. In coverage I did notice he looked pretty good.

-I can't wait til we cut Francies. He caused an interception on a ball that bounced off his numbers and dropped another 3rd down and long completion that hit him in the hands. Yea this guys sucks. Jordy needs more targets.

Did anyone see Pat Lee play today? How did the OL do, especially Sitton and Barbe? I missed some things because I was in a daze from the painkillers they gave me after surgery today. Might watch some parts of the game again tomorrow. Sitton gave up a sack early on. I tried to watch him a good bit and he seemed inconsistent. Made some nice blocks but made some mistakes too. Exepected though.

princefielder28
08-12-2008, 10:45 AM
yea ryan was pretty bad, how can you shank a punt for only 15 yards?

Bring back Kenny DeBauche!

jackalope
08-12-2008, 11:17 AM
I'll second that, and instead of Ruvell it's jordy, sick indeed!

Martin should still be in the 5 WR set. Our receivers will mostly be Driver, Jennings, Jones, Jordy, and Martin in that order. Ruvell has looked good so far in TC and yesterday, not to mention he's one of Rodgers' favorite targets and best friend.

TitleTown088
08-12-2008, 11:47 AM
-

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was T Williams that whiffed the tackle on Perry at the 3 yard line on Perrys TD run. In coverage I did notice he looked pretty good.

I'm fairly sure that was Bush.

DiG
08-12-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm fairly sure that was Bush.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d809f261e

yup i think your right. 24 is bush i believe and looks like thats who gets blown up here.

umphrey
08-12-2008, 05:05 PM
I still believe what I said about Rodgers. ESPN may have been giving him a bit much credit, but he was accurate. Just needs to get the ball down a little more so he doesn't string out his receivers like he did yesterday. I was especially impressed by his pocket presence. He made good decisions and has a quick release with a strong throw. The pass that Driver dropped was maybe the best pass I've seen all preseason. He stuck a bullet in there between 3 defenders for what would have been a first down. He also moved around the pocket well and threw the ball away when he should have.

He needs playing time but his future looks really, really promising to me.

Favre4ever
08-13-2008, 08:02 AM
-Rodgers looked very sharp making great decisions. He is accurate with his passes but he seemed to throw everything high. He really strung out some receivers over the middle. He has to get that under control, but I think he will Hate to rain on the parade but I thought Rodgers looked mediocre. A lot of his completions were dump offs and in most other instances he was putting his receivers in bad situations. The TD pass was not a good pass at all but jones made a spectacular catch and broke away from a big hit to score. The overthrown pass to Jones was the biggest glaring mistake. I don't think Jones had anyone within 15 yards of him. Would have been a clear TD. Thats not to say that Rodgers won't get it done because I'm rooting for him. I just don't think he had as good as a game as is being reported.

[/B]

Mediocre? He wasnt stellar but the guy did good and his receivers had a couple of drops on top of that. What were you expecting? 15/15 with 3 TDs? It was his first start, he was obviously nervous, he wasnt perfect but it is expected from a guy on his first year starting.

He had good pocket presence, made good reads and showed what his rocket arm could do. To me, it was a positive first start and thats what we wanted to see. There is a lot of positive to build on.