PDA

View Full Version : Is Donovan McNabb a top 5 QB?

I'mAHustler
08-12-2008, 01:03 PM
I was having a debate with my coworkers who were arguing with me that McNabb due to injuries is not a Top 5 Qb, I beg to differ.

What do YOU think?

I'mAHustler
08-12-2008, 01:04 PM
And yea I know the other thread, but this is one purely based on McNabb and his status within the NFL

DLionALL
08-12-2008, 01:05 PM
As a Eagles fan, I think he has the POTENTIAL to be a Top 5 QB but I do believe injuries have slowed him down and taken him out of that discussion. If he stays healthy this year I think he'll be considered a top 5 QB again.

Gay Ork Wang
08-12-2008, 01:06 PM
No. Top10? debateable but not top 5 anymore

iowatreat54
08-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Manning, Brady, Romo, Brees, Palmer, Favre last year...so no

Malaka
08-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Even when healthy he is not a top 5 QB, Top 10 yes, but I wouldn't place him over Brady, Peyton, Brees, Roethlisberger, and Carson. He isn't as accurate as he has always been, and his injuries have surely slowed him down or hampered his ability a bit, but not too much. In his prime easily top 5, but now he is borderline top 10, he is still very good when healthy, and he doesn't have great receivers either, but now that he is finally healthy I can see him do very well that is if he doesn't get injured again.

UKfan
08-12-2008, 01:13 PM
He can be I feel, but currently I would have to say no.

Manning, Brady, Brees, Palmer and Romo I would place above him as of now, but I feel with a healthy year he could certainly usurp Romo.

MetSox17
08-12-2008, 01:18 PM
He can be I feel, but currently I would have to say no.

Manning, Brady, Brees, Palmer and Romo I would place above him as of now, but I feel with a healthy year he could certainly usurp Romo.

I love how people are quick to replace Romo, when Palmer has been on a downward slope since his career started and everyone ignores it. He put up Eli Manning numbers last year.

UKfan
08-12-2008, 01:21 PM
I've honestly never been a massive Romo fan, I agree though, Palmer's numbers are declining, it could be him who gets replaced.

D-Unit
08-12-2008, 01:38 PM
He's no longer a Top 5 QB, but he once was. Some weeks he'll look like a Top 3 QB, but consistently over the season, I think he's Top 7-8.

cdub11
08-12-2008, 01:41 PM
i dont think he is quite top 5 but i would say top 10 for sure

bsaza2358
08-12-2008, 01:44 PM
I'll put him as arguable in the Top 5 if he stays healthy, but with injuries and inconsistency in recent years, you can't count on him like you once could. McNabb may finish 2008 considered in the top 5, but not today.

Go_Eagles77
08-12-2008, 01:51 PM
He is finally 100% healthy (or as close to it as he's been since 04) and he is moving really well in and out of the pocket and he is throwing with more zip and accuracy that he has in a while, with that said he still has to prove to the league what he can do before he can be considered a top 5 QB again.

nrk
08-12-2008, 01:51 PM
I've honestly never been a massive Romo fan, I agree though, Palmer's numbers are declining, it could be him who gets replaced.

Palmer's numbers aren't declining. He had his second best completion percentage, most yards, and third most tds. His numbers are actually increasing, including a career high 20 interceptions thrown.

I think McNabb will be able to be a top 5 again. If he can stay healthy of course.

bored of education
08-12-2008, 02:19 PM
No he is not

Palmer, Peyton, Brady, Big Ben, Brees.

And some others. McNabb is in the 7-10 area.

But he has to prove he is healthy for 16 games. Once he does then maybe I'll reconsider.

D-Unit
08-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Everytime he plays the Cowboys he looks like the #1 QB in the league hands down. :(

DiG
08-12-2008, 02:26 PM
if i had to pick a qb to take me to a super bowl, mcnabb probably wouldnt make my top 5 but itd be close.

brady
manning
brees

clear cut top 3 imo.

palmer
big ben
favre
romo

mcnabb can play with those 4 imo but he has crap for wrs in philly.

eaglesalltheway
08-12-2008, 03:12 PM
I'll put him as arguable in the Top 5 if he stays healthy, but with injuries and inconsistency in recent years, you can't count on him like you once could. McNabb may finish 2008 considered in the top 5, but not today.

I would have put that as my answer bsaza.

Dam8610
08-12-2008, 03:16 PM
WHEN HEALTHY, yes, but that's been far from a sure thing for a while now. By the way, am I the only one that thinks Matt Hasselbeck gets no respect?

LonghornsLegend
08-12-2008, 03:18 PM
He is finally 100% healthy (or as close to it as he's been since 04) and he is moving really well in and out of the pocket and he is throwing with more zip and accuracy that he has in a while, with that said he still has to prove to the league what he can do before he can be considered a top 5 QB again.

That's not really saying much, he is always 'finally healthy' at the beginning of a season, if he reaches week 17 and he's still 100% an argument could be made, but he's got to play one full season at a high level to be considered top 5.

Dam8610
08-12-2008, 03:23 PM

Palmer last year dealt with the same issues Manning faced in 2001. Teams scored at will on his defense, and no one was scared of his running game, meaning he was often down and forced into situations where he was down and forced to make throws he normally wouldn't make just to try to keep his team in games, resulting in fewer TDs and more INTs.

umphrey
08-12-2008, 05:12 PM
When healthy I put him at a tie with Carson Palmer for #3 in the league. Depends on the offense on who I would rather take.

Overall I'd put him in the 12-15 range because health is so important for a QB. When he goes on IR (which happens alot) the Eagles almost have to give up on that season.

Bengalsrocket
08-12-2008, 07:28 PM
McNabb has, or at one point had, it all. Like everyone has said he's not a top 5 QB now, and I wouldn't take him on a fantasy leagues. However, in a hypothetical situation where we could revert all current QB's back to the age of 21 and start a new franchise, he'd be in the top 5 of QB's I pick - if that make sense anyways.

eaglesfan_45
08-12-2008, 08:19 PM
In the Past? Yes he was a top 5 QB, he was #3 behind Manning and Brady in the early '00s but as of now no he is not. He has a chance to redeem himself this year and re-establish him self as a top 7-8 QB.

He was a top 3 QB before, Here are the stats to prove it-
NFC Pro Bowl squad - 2001-05 (starter in 2005; did not play in 2004 due to ribs)
Five-time NFC Offensive Player of the Week - 11/26/00 at Was.; 12/10/00 at Cle.; 9/22/02 vs. Dal.; 11/16/03 vs. NYG; 12/5/04 vs. GB
Three-time NFL Offensive Player of the Week - 1/19/02 at Chi. (NFC Divisional Playoff game) - 1/11/04 vs. GB (NFC Divisional Playoff game) 1/16/05 vs. Min. (NFC Divisional Playoff game)
Four-time NFC Offensive Player of the Month - September 2002; November 2003; September 2004; September 2005
Voted by his teammates Eagles offensive MVP - 2000-01, 2003-04
Named NFC offensive POY by KC TD Club - 2004
Named NFC offensive POY CBS Radio - 2004
NFL Man of the Year finalist - 2003, 2005
Earned All-Pro by CBS Sportsline.com - 2003
Howie Long Tough Guy Team - 2003
Finished 2nd in the Associated Press MVP voting (24-11) to StL RB Marshall Faulk - 2000
Named NFL Player of the Year by CBS Radio - 2000
Named NFL Player of the Year by the Terry (Bradshaw) Awards on Fox Sports - 2000
Named to the All-Madden team 2000

Top 10 Accomplishments
1. Became the first player in NFL history to finish a season with 30+ TD passes (31) and fewer than 10 INTs (8) in 2004
2. Became the 4th-fastest QB in NFL history to reach the 50-win plateau in just 71 starts, vs. Bal. (10/31/04)
3. One of 7 players in NFL history to have amassed over 25,000 passing yards (25,404) and 2,500 rushing yards (2,962)
4. Ranks 1st among active passers in INT percentage (2.12) and 2nd on the NFL's all time list to Neil O'Donnell (2.11)
5. Ranks 3rd on the NFL's all-time list in TD:INT ratio (min. 1,500 atts.) (2.16) to Tom Brady (2.29) and Steve Young (2.17).
6. Ranks 1st on the Eagles all-time lists in completions (2,189), and 2nd in TDs (171), yards (25,404) and attempts (3,732) behind Ron Jaworski.
7. Has posted more playoff wins (7) than any QB in team history. Ranks 1st on the Eagles all-time posteseason list in completions (249), attempts (419), passing yards (2,630) and TD passes (18). Also ranks 4th all-time in postseason rushing yds. (362) and tied for 2nd in rushing TDs (3)
8. Has the most wins by a starting quarterback in Eagles history (73)
9. His 22 combined career 300-yd. passing games ranks 1st on the Eagles all-time list
10. Has a 14-8 record in primetime starts, including one in the playoffs.

Highest Winning Pct. Among Active Starting QBs

Tom Brady 86 W 24 L .782%
Peyton Manning 104 W 55 L .654%
Donovan McNabb 73 W 39 L .652%
min. 100 starts

NFL's All-Time TD/INT Ratio

Tom Brady 197 TD 86 INT 2.29 TD/INT Ratio
Steve Young 232 TD 107 INT 2.17 TD/INT Ratio
Donovan McNabb 171 TD 79 INT 2.16 TD/INT Ratio
Peyton Manning 306 TD 153 INT 2.00 TD/INT Ratio
Joe Montana 273 TD 139 INT 1.96 TD/INT Ratio
min. 1500 attempts

NFL's All-Time Career INT Percentage

Neil O'Donnell 2.11 INT %
Donovan McNabb 2.12 %
Mark Brunell 2.31 INT %
Jeff Garcia 2.33 INT %
Tom Brady 2.36 INT %
min. 1500 attempts

vidae
08-12-2008, 08:42 PM
I really like McNabb as a player but I wouldn't say top 5. Personally, I would put him in my top 7 when he's healthy, but he's never healthy. That's the problem. :(

Paranoidmoonduck
08-12-2008, 08:44 PM
I still really like McNabb, but he's an exceptional year away from being a real threat to crack most top 5 lists.

RaiderNation
08-12-2008, 08:45 PM
top 10 yes, top 5 no

Staubach12
08-12-2008, 10:13 PM
No. Manning, Brady, Brees, Romo, Favre, Palmer, and more are better.

PoopSandwich
08-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Not even close to a top 5 QB anymore.

eaglesfan_45
08-13-2008, 01:39 AM
I love how people are quick to replace Romo, when Palmer has been on a downward slope since his career started and everyone ignores it. He put up Eli Manning numbers last year.

Eli Manning Numbers? Eli Threw for 23 TDs, 20 INts at 56.1% Completion Rate, and a 73.9 Passer Rating.

Carson Palmer threw for 4,131, 26 TDs, 20 INTs, at 64.9 % completion rate, and a 86.7 Passer Rating.

That is Eli's career best and Carson's career worst (both last season).

Bengalsrocket
08-13-2008, 06:04 AM
Eli Manning Numbers? Eli Threw for 23 TDs, 20 INts at 56.1% Completion Rate, and a 73.9 Passer Rating.

Carson Palmer threw for 4,131, 26 TDs, 20 INTs, at 64.9 % completion rate, and a 86.7 Passer Rating.

haha I ignore the Palmer hate arguments. A lot of people on these boards see one bad year for a guy (which would be a hopeful year for other guys) and all the sudden he's terrible.

Its the same people who see Brady's one great year and think he's all the sudden the top QB in the league. Don't get me wrong, Brady has been solid before, but he never threw for over 30 TDs and he never had a passer rating of above 95 before. And for reference Manning has had 4 seasons of over 95 passer rating and over 30 TDs before last year.

Its the same people who argue guys like Larry Johnson are done with their careers after starting 37 games. He's had 1 season with an injury and everyone is crying he's been overworked lol.

Its the same people who think once you're 30 years old you're to old to play anymore. People say Randy Moss has lost a step - hell tell that to T.O. and Marvin Harrison who are 4 and 5 years older than Moss, respectively.

Anyways, you'd think this league is a year old with how some people feel about players. Guys get injuries and bounce back; guys have bad years and bounce back; guys get old and still move fast. Its ridiculous to think that a guy is going to be a complete opposite player after 1 year, even if his coming off an injury, 1 bad performance or even if he's just 1 year old.

eaglesalltheway
08-13-2008, 06:36 AM
Nice Post Rocket, I too still say Peyton is over Brady, LJ is still a top 5 RB. (5, behind LT, Westy, AD, and Steven Jackson) The case could be made that he is better than Jackson though too, so there you go. I do think that players slow down with age (duh) but with that age, they gain other advantages in the mental aspect of the game that compensate for minor drops in athletecism.

Bengalsrocket
08-13-2008, 07:07 AM
Nice Post Rocket, I too still say Peyton is over Brady, LJ is still a top 5 RB. (5, behind LT, Westy, AD, and Steven Jackson) The case could be made that he is better than Jackson though too, so there you go. I do think that players slow down with age (duh) but with that age, they gain other advantages in the mental aspect of the game that compensate for minor drops in athletecism.

You're right, I didn't mean to say they don't slow down at all, but rather that the minor speed / strength they may lose generally is negligible especially when giving the fact they do gain experience and wisdom of the game (as you mentioned) :).

I'mAHustler
08-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Nice Post Rocket, I too still say Peyton is over Brady, LJ is still a top 5 RB. (5, behind LT, Westy, AD, and Steven Jackson) The case could be made that he is better than Jackson though too, so there you go. I do think that players slow down with age (duh) but with that age, they gain other advantages in the mental aspect of the game that compensate for minor drops in athletecism.People call me crazy for saying Peyton is better then Brady.

Peyton is surgical with approach to quarterbacking, he's the best of this generation without question

ALD
08-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Not to turn this into Peyton vs Brady but in my eyes Peyton's the better passer and individual player while Brady's a better leader and more clutch, not to say Peyton isn't a leader or Brady isn't a great passer, but when comparing them that's how I think they stack up.

I'mAHustler
08-13-2008, 03:16 PM
So the consesus pretty much is that a healthy McNabb is possibly a top 5 QB, but he needs to actually be healthy first.

MetSox17
08-13-2008, 03:23 PM

Throwing 20 interceptions in a season is horrible, no matter what way you put it. The yards don't mean anything to me cause all the Bengals could do last year was chuck it up, without a running game. When you have Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadeh and Chris Henry, you better be putting up more than 25 touchdowns.

haha I ignore the Palmer hate arguments. A lot of people on these boards see one bad year for a guy (which would be a hopeful year for other guys) and all the sudden he's terrible.

Its the same people who see Brady's one great year and think he's all the sudden the top QB in the league. Don't get me wrong, Brady has been solid before, but he never threw for over 30 TDs and he never had a passer rating of above 95 before. And for reference Manning has had 4 seasons of over 95 passer rating and over 30 TDs before last year.

I'll ignore the idiotic assumptions you made after your first paragraph and make my statement on the argument at hand.

"one bad year". Hey, open your eyes kid, he's been on a steady downfall since his second year in the league. His touchdowns have gone down every year, all the while his interceptions have gone up. Every single year. His average per attempt is down. He makes some horrible decisions sometimes. Forcing balls everywhere.

That's not a top notch quarterback for me. Is he one of the most gifted quarterbacks in the league? Absolutely. Can he turn it around and get back to his playing level from his second year? Of course. Will he? Who knows. As of right now, from what i've seen from him, he's not the third or fourth best quarterback in this league.

Bengalsrocket
08-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Throwing 20 interceptions in a season is horrible, no matter what way you put it. The yards don't mean anything to me cause all the Bengals could do last year was chuck it up, without a running game. When you have Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadeh and Chris Henry, you better be putting up more than 25 touchdowns.

Except we didn't have Chris Henry for the first 8 games, but whatever.

I'll ignore the idiotic assumptions you made after your first paragraph and make my statement on the argument at hand.

"one bad year". Hey, open your eyes kid, he's been on a steady downfall since his second year in the league. His touchdowns have gone down every year, all the while his interceptions have gone up. Every single year. His average per attempt is down. He makes some horrible decisions sometimes. Forcing balls everywhere.

That's not a top notch quarterback for me. Is he one of the most gifted quarterbacks in the league? Absolutely. Can he turn it around and get back to his playing level from his second year? Of course. Will he? Who knows. As of right now, from what i've seen from him, he's not the third or fourth best quarterback in this league.

I don't want to say your argument is plain ********, but you did all call me "kid". In 2004 he threw 18 INT's. in 2005 he threw 12 INT's. in 2006 he threw 13 INT's. in 2007 he threw 20 INT's. I'll ignore the fact that this is only a 4 year sample size to test your little theory on, which is in fact a stupidly small sample size.

So he starts his NFL career off with 18. Then in his second year goes down to 12 INT's (with 32 TD's might I add). His third year in the league he throws 13 INT's; now tell me, "kid", do you really think going from 12 INT's, a number most QB's would get on their knees to have, to 13 INT's is in any form a decline??

I didn't think so. So then his last year, 2007, he goes up to 20 INT's. Essentially being his first bad year since his 2004 start (18 INT's).

Hey again, he had a bad year, no one is disagreeing with you. But he's certainly not on the decline. His 06 year was in fact more yards and more yards per a throw average then his 2005 year despite his decline in completion percentage and TD's.

Edit: grr this is why I hate getting into debates on where Palmer stands. It doesn't even matter - I don't care if people think he's top 3, top 5, top 10, top 20 or top 50. He only has 4 years under his belt, and no QB would be criticized for his 07 performance after 4 years if they didn't do as well as he did in 05' and 06'.