PDA

View Full Version : Bengals possibly losing Chad Johnson

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-13-2008, 10:32 AM
And saying hello to Chad Ocho Cinco

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/12/johnson-wants-to-be-ocho-cinco-legally/

drowe
08-13-2008, 11:48 AM
no*******way.

themaninblack
08-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Wow. I hope they don't let him.

EDIT: Are you trying to give me a heart attack? I thought for sure he was injured or something.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-13-2008, 12:13 PM
yaaaaa, he's an idiot....

vidae
08-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Hahaha. I hope this isn't for real.

08-13-2008, 12:24 PM
This just made me laugh out loud. I hope it goes through.

Gay Ork Wang
08-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Thats just dumb but seriously fits Chad.

|19:17:43| <@JBond> I hope he goes to some team next and they don't let him have 85
|19:17:47| <@JBond> and his name is Ocho Cinco

iowatreat54
08-13-2008, 12:26 PM
I hope it happens...I would disown my kid/brother/nephew/whatever if he changed his last name for something like this

Cerni88
08-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Crack is wack

princefielder28
08-13-2008, 12:30 PM
He's one of a kind

BrownsTown
08-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Brilliant. Simply Brilliant.

BmoreBlackByrdz
08-13-2008, 12:32 PM
I would love to see this happen Lmao, Hes trying to bring in some more fun into the game and Goodell is a *** is he doesnt let this happen.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-13-2008, 12:51 PM
I would love to see this happen Lmao, Hes trying to bring in some more fun into the game and Goodell is a *** is he doesnt let this happen.

I don't think that you can stop a player from having his 'actual' last name on the back of his jersey.....

bearfan
08-13-2008, 12:57 PM
You know how many Ocho Cinco jerseys will sell? Good for the NFL and Bengals if this happens

MetSox17
08-13-2008, 12:59 PM
He better have some good attorneys working for him, cause i highly doubt a judge is gonna allow someone to change their name to something ridiculous like this.

Geo
08-13-2008, 01:02 PM
There really is a screw loose with Chad Johnson.

MetSox17
08-13-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm thinking this is more of a pub stunt than it is him actually wanting to change his name. If he thinks he's gonna be allowed to change it, then once his career is over change it back to 'Johnson' he's mistaken. That's if he's allowed to change it in the first place, which i don't think will happen.

jayceheathman
08-13-2008, 01:20 PM
He better have some good attorneys working for him, cause i highly doubt a judge is gonna allow someone to change their name to something ridiculous like this.

The courts arent going to deny him the name just for being rediculous. He is old enough to make his own decisions. They let that one guy change his name to Ingod Wetrust.

ALD
08-13-2008, 01:30 PM
I don't own a single NFL Jersey, I'm a cheap mofo and got a nicotine addiction to fund, but I'd buy an Ocho Cinco jersey.

MetSox17
08-13-2008, 01:32 PM
The courts arent going to deny him the name just for being rediculous. He is old enough to make his own decisions. They let that one guy change his name to Ingod Wetrust.

It doesn't work that way. There has to be an actual reason as to why you want to legally change your name. They didn't let that one guy change his name to 'Peyton Manning'.

ALD
08-13-2008, 01:38 PM
It doesn't work that way. There has to be an actual reason as to why you want to legally change your name. They didn't let that one guy change his name to 'Peyton Manning'.

I'm pretty sure Chad's attorneys can convince the judge. Honestly changing his name would be hugely profitable to Chad and that alone should be a good enough reason.

MetSox17
08-13-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm pretty sure Chad's attorneys can convince the judge. Honestly changing his name would be hugely profitable to Chad and that alone should be a good enough reason.

Which is why i mentioned that Chad better have a hell of an attorney if he wants to convince a judge to change his last name to 'Ocho Cinco'. He's gonna need to provide a slightly better reason than more marketability, i'd imagine. If he does change it though, he better be ready to be Mr. Ocho Cinco for the rest of his life.

Imagine
Kids: "Hey grandpa Ocho Cinco!"

Chad: "Come'ere kids.."

Addict
08-13-2008, 01:43 PM
wow.. I don't know what he's on, but I want a basket full ASAP

WMD
08-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Awesome. Chad Johnson is the man.

ALD
08-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Which is why i mentioned that Chad better have a hell of an attorney if he wants to convince a judge to change his last name to 'Ocho Cinco'. He's gonna need to provide a slightly better reason than more marketability, i'd imagine. If he does change it though, he better be ready to be Mr. Ocho Cinco for the rest of his life.

Imagine

I'd hope that a significant alteration in marketability would be enough to change one's name, don't know the US legal system well enough to say for certain but if he can't change his name, even after proving how much more money he'd stand to make, I'd find it morally wrong.

MetSox17
08-13-2008, 01:48 PM
I'd hope that a significant alteration in marketability would be enough to change one's name, don't know the US legal system well enough to say for certain but if he can't change his name, even after proving how much more money he'd stand to make, I'd find it morally wrong.

I'd imagine you would have a hard time proving that every single person out there who is a Bengals fan, or a Chad Johnson fan, would go out and buy a jersey. Or that the changing of his name would increase his ability to be offered more endorsement contracts.

They would be walking a thin line, because if that was the case, every nut that honestly thought changing their name to something stupid and ridiculous would be at the courthouse, clogging it up, with their requests to be named Ben Dover or something stupider. You get the idea.

yo123
08-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Haha I love it. Make it happen Chad!

Addict
08-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Awesome. Chad Johnson is the man.

He's the man named "Ocho Cinco".

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/KBQB_blog/chad.jpg
the future.

ALD
08-13-2008, 01:53 PM
I'd imagine you would have a hard time proving that every single person out there who is a Bengals fan, or a Chad Johnson fan, would go out and buy a jersey. Or that the changing of his name would increase his ability to be offered more endorsement contracts.

They would be walking a thin line, because if that was the case, every nut that honestly thought changing their name to something stupid and ridiculous would be at the courthouse, clogging it up, with their requests to be named Ben Dover or something stupider. You get the idea.

I don't think Chad would have that hard of time proving the added marketability. The novelty of his NFL jersey saying Ocho Cinco alone would gaurantee a lot more $ coming in.

As for this opening the door for other nuts to try and change they're names they might, but they'll have a hard time proving that Ben Dover will really help them earn more $ as garbage men or janitors. I don't believe in the slippery slop argument and think chad johnson has a legitimate case, whether the outcome of his legitimate case would effect the number of people with bogus requests shouldn't impact the validity of his request.

MetSox17
08-13-2008, 01:59 PM
I don't think Chad would have that hard of time proving the added marketability. The novelty of his NFL jersey saying Ocho Cinco alone would gaurantee a lot more $ coming in.

As for this opening the door for other nuts to try and change they're names they might, but they'll have a hard time proving that Ben Dover will really help them earn more $ as garbage men or janitors. I don't believe in the slippery slop argument and think chad johnson has a legitimate case, whether the outcome of his legitimate case would effect the number of people with bogus requests shouldn't impact the validity of his request.

You're right, it is fallatious to discredit his claim when considering the repercussions, but we're not looking at this from a logically correct standpoint. This could potentially become a monster the courts don't wanna deal with. Maybe judges won't have a hard time rejecting these claims, but the fact that they have to consider them and analyze them is more than what i imagine they want to deal with.

CC.SD
08-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Hahaha, this is soooo awesome.

I hope it starts a trend.

Addict
08-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Hahaha, this is soooo awesome.

I hope it starts a trend.

that would be an awesome trend. Although I can't think of anyone else who has a true nickname (initials don't count) Marion Barbarian?

ALD
08-13-2008, 02:04 PM
You're right, it is fallatious to discredit his claim when considering the repercussions, but we're not looking at this from a logically correct standpoint. This could potentially become a monster the courts don't wanna deal with. Maybe judges won't have a hard time rejecting these claims, but the fact that they have to consider them and analyze them is more than what i imagine they want to deal with.

And that's yet another reason I despise the US legal system. But that's a discussion for another place and another time.

ALD
08-13-2008, 02:05 PM
that would be an awesome trend. Although I can't think of anyone else who has a true nickname (initials don't count) Marion Barbarian?

King Osi, and it's not even just a nickname. And Kiwi

MetSox17
08-13-2008, 02:08 PM
And that's yet another reason I despise the US legal system. But that's a discussion for another place and another time.

It is a whole different argument. I just call 'em like i see 'em.

CC.SD
08-13-2008, 02:09 PM

"Lights Out" would look waaaaay too good on the back of a jersey, but we'd probably have to see the dance more, so it would just balance out.

ALD
08-13-2008, 02:11 PM
It is a whole different argument. I just call 'em like i see 'em.

Yeah, my problem is I'm a realist who wants to be an idealist. I wish things worked logically and get pissed off everytime I realize they don't, which is often, which is probably why I've kept myself docile with large quantities of ganj in the past.

MetSox17
08-13-2008, 02:18 PM
"Lights Out" would look waaaaay too good on the back of a jersey, but we'd probably have to see the dance more, so it would just balance out.

And that's when we would see the XFL once again.

Sorry, but i'm not up to seeing "He Hate Me" again.

ALD
08-13-2008, 02:19 PM
And that's when we would see the XFL once again.

Sorry, but i'm not up to seeing "He Hate Me" again.

He Hate Me, the walking oxymoron.

MetSox17
08-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Yeah, my problem is I'm a realist who wants to be an idealist. I wish things worked logically and get pissed off everytime I realize they don't, which is often, which is probably why I've kept myself docile with large quantities of ganj in the past.

I get pissed as well, which is why i argue a lot. I can see both sides though, so sometimes you'll see me arguing towards the logically correct stance.

Although i wish i wasn't so much that way, i'd life a more comfortable life.

MetSox17
08-13-2008, 02:21 PM
He Hate Me, the walking oxymoron.

"The living embodiment of the perfect oxymoron"

You mean..

Burns336
08-13-2008, 02:24 PM
This is stupid as hell. This would make the nfl look like a joke or like th XFL as metsox mentioned.

Seriously, a bunch of guys running around with fake names on the field? It would tarnish the history and tradition of the NFL and turn it into a cartoon.

ALD
08-13-2008, 02:27 PM
I get pissed as well, which is why i argue a lot. I can see both sides though, so sometimes you'll see me arguing towards the logically correct stance.

Although i wish i wasn't so much that way, i'd life a more comfortable life.

I play devil's advocate with my stoner buddies all the time, when I'm in a serious discussion I'll argue for logic, freedom and small to no government everytime, but playing devil's advocate is fun when I don't care if i'm right or wrong.

bantx
08-13-2008, 02:34 PM
this is awesome, chad is my hero

there was actually a kid that we played that was in our football district that his last name was actually quarto dos and his number was 42

yourfavestoner
08-13-2008, 02:37 PM

Imagine

I've gone through a name change. Trust me, he doesn't have to convince the judge of anything. All he has to do is fill out and file the appropriate paperwork. And a judge isn't going to deny him, because the judge simply isn't going to care. As long as you're not trying to steal somebody's identity, or your not a convicted felon, you can pretty much change your name to anything you want.

MetSox17
08-13-2008, 02:47 PM
I've gone through a name change. Trust me, he doesn't have to convince the judge of anything. All he has to do is fill out and file the appropriate paperwork. And a judge isn't going to deny him, because the judge simply isn't going to care. As long as you're not trying to steal somebody's identity, or your not a convicted felon, you can pretty much change your name to anything you want.

I have a hard time believing that it's gonna be as easy as you're saying it is.

bantx
08-13-2008, 02:49 PM
I seriously dont think itll be a big deal for a judge for someone wanting to change their name...whats the difference if their parents named him Chad Ocho Cinco or Him changing his name to that later, not a big deal. Theres other stuff the judge should be dealing with.

dpl85
08-13-2008, 02:50 PM
I don't know much about the legal aspect but I don't think a judge would typically deny a name change. I know the pro wrestler the Ultimate Warrior legally changed his name to Warrior because he's stupid and thought it would give him legal rights to the copyrighted trademark name.

ALD
08-13-2008, 02:50 PM

Good to know. I'd imagine changing my name will come in handy one day, glad to hear it's not a major issue. Did you change your name in Florida? That's where Chad's going to be doing it so I'm wondering if the courts will treat it similarly there as they did during your experience.

TitleTown088
08-13-2008, 05:14 PM
That guy is off his freaking rocker. I like it.

awfullyquiet
08-13-2008, 05:25 PM

max power!

Dam8610
08-13-2008, 05:29 PM
max power!

It's the name you want to touch
But musn't TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUCH!
His name sounds good in your ear.
But if you say it, you mustn't...fear.
For his name can be saaaaaaaaaaaid, by anyoooooooooooone
MAX POWER!

CC.SD
08-13-2008, 05:29 PM

So...is your name actually Yourfave Stoner now???

jballa838
08-13-2008, 05:31 PM
next up Rod Smart will attempt to change his name to Rod He Hate Me.

The Dynasty
08-13-2008, 05:38 PM
I saw this last night and just laughed. The man knows how to grab attention. That is for sure.

Strongside
08-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Isn't Ocho Cinco not even the right way of saying 85? Someone told me that once..

ALD
08-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Isn't Ocho Cinco not even the right way of saying 85? Someone told me that once..

It's eight five, eighty five would be ochenta y cinco.

LonghornsLegend
08-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Well, I'm buying a jersey if it happens :D

MetSox17
08-13-2008, 06:20 PM
It's eight five, eighty five would be ochenta y cinco.

This is correct.

brat316
08-13-2008, 06:29 PM
That would be awesome. I hope they let him change his name, don't see a reason against it.

Bengalsrocket
08-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Greatest thing I've ever heard. Chad Johnson is awesome

MetSox17
08-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Well it looks like Chad put an end to this rumor.

http://www.1530homer.com/cc-common/news/sections/sportsarticle.html?feed=275757&article=4094838

Malaka
08-14-2008, 11:25 AM

http://www.1530homer.com/cc-common/news/sections/sportsarticle.html?feed=275757&article=4094838

I knew he wouldn't do it, I honestly doubted even Chad would do something so stupid.

T-RICH49
08-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Hahaha. I hope this isn't for real.

I do.This would be awesome.I'd have to get me a Chad Ocho Cinco jersey :D

yourfavestoner
08-14-2008, 08:24 PM
Good to know. I'd imagine changing my name will come in handy one day, glad to hear it's not a major issue. Did you change your name in Florida? That's where Chad's going to be doing it so I'm wondering if the courts will treat it similarly there as they did during your experience.

I did it in California, but I imagine it's pretty easy to do anywhere. And I got my last name legally changed to Stoner, so that was kinda out there as well and they had no problem with it. What you have to do it advertise that you're legally challenging your name in a local paper for four(I think) consecutive weeks. That way people can petition against your name change and/or show up at your court hearing, in case you're a murderer or a child molester or something. If all the documents you filled out (cause there are a lot) clear through the courts, and nobody petitions against in, then the judge is almost assuredly going to grant the name change.

roidrunner
08-14-2008, 09:11 PM
LMAO. There is nothing that the NFL could do about it, cause well if he gets it legally changed then they are kinda stuck with it.

BamaFalcon59
08-14-2008, 09:39 PM
That is pretty awesome, although I hope it is a one time thing. Other players doing it would be lame. But this screams Chad Johnson.

Rob S
08-15-2008, 12:59 AM
I think its great....I love it haha....

PoopSandwich
08-15-2008, 01:05 AM

Wow Chad seems PISSED if you read that whole thing.

Bengalsrocket
08-15-2008, 03:51 AM

I'm pretty sure a lot of it is being said with sarcasm or jokingly, it just didn't translate well to text.

eaglesfan_45
08-15-2008, 03:58 AM
What about him challenging Micheal Phelps to a swimming race on PTI? He said that he could beat Micheal Phelps in a swimming race lol.

Bengalsrocket
08-15-2008, 04:02 AM
What about him challenging Micheal Phelps to a swimming race on PTI? He said that he could beat Micheal Phelps in a swimming race lol.

Its a joke, though I'm sure he'd actually race him for publicity / fun.

Addict
08-15-2008, 07:02 AM

he comes across as an ass, which he kinda is.

TheBuffaloBills
08-15-2008, 07:55 AM
Lol......... I was just thinking if in the future he got traded or something and on his new team the #85 isnt available.... So he would be like #87 named ocho cinco.

Addict
08-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Lol......... I was just thinking if in the future he got traded or something and on his new team the #85 isnt available.... So he would be like #87 named ocho cinco.

that's already been said, and also, I highly doubt Johnson would play with anything else. With his stature, he can command the number, provided it's not held by someone who has an equal or close stature.