PDA

View Full Version : Yet another 10 NFL Truths thread

Dam8610
08-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Hey, it's trendy, I have opinions, why not? I promise not to say anything about a certain future Hall of Fame QB that wears number 4.

1) Eli Manning is the real deal, but the Giants will not repeat
I think what we saw from Eli Manning during the postseason was not an aberration, but rather a quarterback coming of age. He made good reads, he found open receivers, and the bad/dumb throws he used to make didn't really make any appearances (I guess you can say the Tyree miracle catch is a throw a QB shouldn't make, but down by 4 in the Super Bowl on 3rd and 5, do you really want your QB throwing the ball away?). He seems to have a good chemistry with Steve Smith and Kevin Boss, and Plaxico Burress is obviously still his favorite target. He's going to make the Pro Bowl this year, the Giants will contend for the division, and maybe win it, but they're going to have targets on their back all year, and it's so hard to repeat in the NFL today.

2) The Cleveland Browns will win the AFC North
Am I the only one that sees the Browns' revamped DL and thinks that Phil Savage is in line for NFL Executive of the year honors? Kam Wimbley is one of the best kept secrets in the NFL, the bulk they have upfront is going to collapse pockets and stop teams from running all over them, and they have two good, young safeties. On offense, they have a top 10 WR, a top 3 TE, and one of the best OLs in the NFL for an average Derek Anderson to work with. As long as they can squeeze another productive season out of Jamal Lewis, they have the potential to improve on last year's 10-6 squad. The only team standing in their way is the Pittsburgh Steelers, because...

3) Ben Roethlisberger is the NFL's next great QB
In his first couple of years, Roethlisberger was asked only to manage the game and let his running game do the heavy lifting for the offense, but last year, he was asked to be the focal point of the offense, and he came through with flying colors. He now has an improving Santonio Holmes, a complete TE in Heath Miller, and a young Limas Sweed to go with Hines Ward, as well as an excellent set of RBs. As long as their OL can hold up, this should be a scary offensive attack. Expect a 4000+ yard, 30+ TD season from Roethlisberger in 2008 if he can stay healthy all year.

4) The AFC South will continue to be the toughest division in football
Say what you will, NFC East fans, the Colts are a perennial title contender, the Jaguars are one of the top 7 or 8 teams in football at worst talent wise, the Titans will be a playoff contender again this year, and the Texans might be one for the first time in their existence. With the NFC North and AFC North on the schedule this year, I don't see any of these teams being under .500, with at least 2 of them making the playoffs.

5) The NFC South will be the weakest division in football
There's a reason every NFC South winner has been the division's last place team the year prior, and it's not because the division is stocked with talent. Unfortunately, Falcon fans, I think that streak is over with Matt Ryan as your QB this year, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if your team wins 6 or so games, because this division is basically won every year by the team that gets on a hot streak at or near the end, and they all tend to hover around .500. I could see the Saints possibly eeking out 11 wins, but they could just as easily be a 7 win team. I know people will say "but the NFC West sucks", but at least the NFC West has the Seahawks that are consistently a playoff team and occasionally win a game or two in the postseason.

6) Remember to follow the rules
The NFL competition committee made three very important rule changes that are each going to have an effect on the outcome of at least one game this season, and possibly the length of some players' seasons. The first change is that a field goal is now a reviewable play. I can see how this is going to play out already: Some team is going to kick a game winning field goal, but it's going to be questionable (say it went over the left post), and the coach is going to challenge, and he's going to get it overturned, and there's going to be a huge controversy about the game. The second change is the elimination of the force out rule. It's obvious how this could affect the outcome of a game, but an intersting tidbit from competition committee member Bill Polian on this: "I don’t think the force-out rule is going to have an effect on the way the game is played in a macro sense. I worry about what kind of effect it’s going to have on injuries to receivers...I believe Bill Belichick was quoted as saying it a couple of days ago, as saying you’re going to change the way you defense the pass on the sideline and I think he’s 100 percent right. … That’s what certain members of the competition committee, myself included, were worried about with that rule. That’s the downside of that rule..." That is why I expect to see this rule back in 2009. The third change is the elimination of the 5 yard facemask. I understand they're trying to eliminate some judgment calls, but does a touch of the facemask really warrant 15 yards and an automatic first down?

7) The Baltimore Ravens are now on the clock
You heard it here first, the Ravens will have the worst record in the NFL. Ed Reed is still a great safety, and they have some solid pieces upfront, but apart from Haloti Ngata, Bart Scott, and Terrell Suggs (who is not too happy playing for the franchise tag), all of those pieces are on the downside of their career. On offense, their running game is a question mark, they haven't picked a QB yet, and have an open competition between three players, and their former all-pro LT just retired. I know he wasn't as good as he used to be, but he was still decent. Their offense is a mess, their defense isn't as tight as it used to be, and they're working under a first year head coach. It sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

8) The Buffalo Bills and Arizona Cardinals will compete for playoff spots
I'm not saying either will get one, but I think both teams are improved. The Bills may have found what they need on defense in Marcus Stroud, and I think Trent Edwards has what it takes to be a great QB someday. I don't think he's there yet, which is why I don't put them in the postseason. As for the Cardinals, I think they give Leinart another chance, but I also think he's on a short leash, so they will go with Warner early if Leinart struggles. They seem to be developing a solid defense, and they've had the pieces on offense for a while, so I look for them to be above .500 and potentially in the postseason.

9) The season series between the Packers and Vikings will decide the NFC North
There's one reason I give that much credit to the Vikings, and that is Jared Allen. He's a monster pass rusher and should give the Vikings a presence they've been lacking on their defense in recent years, when QBs could throw all over them at will. The Packers have a new starting QB this year (in case anyone wasn't aware of this), but they're still young and good at all of the skill positions with a consistent OL, and they still have their young playmakers on defense, so they won't drop off that much. I think both teams will win something close to 11 games, and if either wins the season series, they'll win the division.

10) And the Awards go to...
MVP: QB Peyton Manning, Colts. Is it a homer pick? Yes, but I feel that Manning is going to have to do more than he has had to in recent years to get the Colts to the top of the South, and I think he'll rise to the challenge. Getting Marvin Harrison back, having a developing Anthony Gonzalez, and adding a skillful pass catching TE in Jacob Tamme won't hurt his cause either.
Offensive POY: WR Randy Moss, Patriots. He's not going to have another 23 TD season, but he will catch the majority of Brady's TD passes and get around 1500 yards. This will somewhat make up for the MVP he should've won last year.
Defensive POY: DE Jared Allen, Vikings. I'd love to see Bob Sanders win it again, and I think he has a chance, but I think Allen will get the recognition he deserves this year by turning the Vikings defense from a good one that can be passed on to a great one that is tough to move the ball against. Add in 15+ sacks and the award is as good as his.
Offensive ROY: RB Matt Forte, Bears. He's going to be the Day 1 starter, and I really like his game. I can see him getting well over 1000 yards with about 10 TDs this season if the Bears' OL can hold up.
Defensive ROY: LB Keith Rivers, Bengals. He's going to get opportunities from Day 1, and if he can make an impact on the Bengals' defense, they could be a surprise team this season. He's going to get well over 100 tackles if he stays healthy.

That's it. If only the media could follow my lead on not talking about that one guy.

I didn't pick a Superbowl winner because, and I guess you could consider this a bonus truth (11 for the price of 10!), the playoffs are so unpredictable, it really all depends on either who is hot going in, or who gets hot once it starts. That's what makes football great, but it also makes trying to predict who will win it all a pointless endeavor in my estimation.

Crickett
08-13-2008, 04:10 PM
There's a reason every NFC South winner has been the division's last place team the year prior, and it's not because the division is stocked with talent. Unfortunately, Falcon fans, I think that streak is over with Matt Ryan as your QB this year, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if your team wins 6 or so games, because this division is basically won every year by the team that gets on a hot streak at or near the end, and they all tend to hover around .500. I could see the Saints possibly eeking out 11 wins, but they could just as easily be a 7 win team. I know people will say "but the NFC West sucks", but at least the NFC West has the Seahawks that are consistently a playoff team and occasionally win a game or two in the postseason.

Yes, the Seahawks make the playoffs, but only once in the past five years have they recorded more than 10 regular season wins. They make the playoffs because nobody else has competed to actually win that division since 2003.

ALD
08-13-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm not buying cleveland as a AFC North champs just yet. I have serious doubts bout Anderson's f it i'm going deep mentality that he seemed to fall into late last season and I just don't see where the pass rush is coming from if you put a tackle and TE on Wimbley.

Edit: Noticed one typo, i think you meant Rivers for DROY, not a second DPOY

Dam8610
08-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Yes, the Seahawks make the playoffs, but only once in the past five years have they recorded more than 10 regular season wins. They make the playoffs because nobody else has competed to actually win that division since 2003.

How often does the winner of the South record more than 10 wins? At least in the West there's one consistently strong team, you can't say the same for the South.

I'm not buying cleveland as a AFC North champs just yet. I have serious doubts bout Anderson's f it i'm going deep mentality that he seemed to fall into late last season and I just don't see where the pass rush is coming from if you put a tackle and TE on Wimbley.

I'll admit, I was trying to be a little bold with these, but I really don't see anyone running on them well like last year, and I think they can do well enough against the pass to have a much improved defense. If their offense produces like it did last year, That defense will only have to be middle of the pack for them to win the North. They're going to have to be much better against their division to do it, but I think they're built to be.

Edit: Noticed one typo, i think you meant Rivers for DROY, not a second DPOY

That's no typo! There will be two DPOYs for the first time in NFL history, with one being a rookie no less! Thanks for the notice, it's been corrected.

ALD
08-13-2008, 04:20 PM
True, but I'm very skeptical whether Derek Anderson can reproduce the success of last season without a significant change in style, and no longer living in Cleveland I haven't been following their TC to know whether that change is occurring or not.

Geo
08-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Baltimore Ravens on the clock? That's bold, I think their defense (which will be healthy this year) will be too good to let that happen, even if their offense ensures they get a Top 5 or 10 pick.

thule
08-13-2008, 04:29 PM
The NFL competition committee made three very important rule changes that are each going to have an effect on the outcome of at least one game this season, and possibly the length of some players' seasons. The first change is that a field goal is now a reviewable play. I can see how this is going to play out already: Some team is going to kick a game winning field goal, but it's going to be questionable (say it went over the left post), and the coach is going to challenge, and he's going to get it overturned, and there's going to be a huge controversy about the game. The second change is the elimination of the force out rule. It's obvious how this could affect the outcome of a game, but an intersting tidbit from competition committee member Bill Polian on this: "I donít think the force-out rule is going to have an effect on the way the game is played in a macro sense. I worry about what kind of effect itís going to have on injuries to receivers...I believe Bill Belichick was quoted as saying it a couple of days ago, as saying youíre going to change the way you defense the pass on the sideline and I think heís 100 percent right. Ö Thatís what certain members of the competition committee, myself included, were worried about with that rule. Thatís the downside of that rule..." That is why I expect to see this rule back in 2009. The third change is the elimination of the 5 yard facemask. I understand they're trying to eliminate some judgment calls, but does a touch of the facemask really warrant 15 yards and an automatic first down?

You have misunderstood a couple of rules.

A ball kicked over the uprights first of all is not a reviewable call...so your wrong right away.

No idea where your going with your talk about the 2nd rule change

And thirdly facemask touches aren't suppose to be called...unless the helmet is getting turned it is not a penalty.

thule
08-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Oh and Btw....I called the ravens my darkhorse to pick #1 earlier today...so your not the first :P

Dam8610
08-13-2008, 04:31 PM
True, but I'm very skeptical whether Derek Anderson can reproduce the success of last season without a significant change in style, and no longer living in Cleveland I haven't been following their TC to know whether that change is occurring or not.

You have a good point, however, I think if Cleveland gets off to a bad start early, Brady Quinn will get his chance, and I think he'd be a solid QB for them, especially given Edwards, Winslow, that OL, and over a year in that system. I say they finish no worse than last year's 10-6 mark.

Baltimore Ravens on the clock? That's bold, I think their defense (which will be healthy this year) will be too good to let that happen, even if their offense ensures they get a Top 5 or 10 pick.

Well, the #1 pick is usually a team that was bad the previous year and didn't do much to improve their situation for the following year. I see the Ravens as that, especially with their drafting of Flacco. I don't think their defense is going to be bad, it won't be elite though, and that offense is probably going to be abysmal.

Twiddler
08-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Very good part about the rules changes made. I'm also worried about the changes in the force out rule but I don't see it back as soon as next year. I don't really follow the Rules Committee but I just don't get the feeling that the committee would be so quick to go back on a rules change.

Dam8610
08-13-2008, 04:37 PM
You have misunderstood a couple of rules.

A ball kicked over the uprights first of all is not a reviewable call...so your wrong right away.

No idea where your going with your talk about the 2nd rule change

And thirdly facemask touches aren't suppose to be called...unless the helmet is getting turned it is not a penalty.

I must have misunderstood that rule, then, what is reviewable?

Teams are going to be crushing any WR who jumps to make a catch on the sideline now, making sure they go out of bounds. Someone (maybe a big name) is going to get hurt, and the rule will come back because of it.

I always felt the 5 yard facemask was there for an accidental grab, and it had its place because sometimes there's no intent to tackle by the facemask, and I don't feel those should result in 15 yards and a first down.

A Perfect Score
08-13-2008, 04:46 PM
I really dont think we are the worst team in hte league, not by a long shot, and I will be severely disappointed if the Ravens have the first overall pick in next years draft.

Geo
08-13-2008, 04:56 PM
I didn't know there was limitations to reviewing field goals.

Also, I dion't like the changes to the facemask penalties-now-penalty, but the pushed-out removal doesn't bother me any.

thule
08-13-2008, 04:59 PM
I must have misunderstood that rule, then, what is reviewable?

Teams are going to be crushing any WR who jumps to make a catch on the sideline now, making sure they go out of bounds. Someone (maybe a big name) is going to get hurt, and the rule will come back because of it.

I always felt the 5 yard facemask was there for an accidental grab, and it had its place because sometimes there's no intent to tackle by the facemask, and I don't feel those should result in 15 yards and a first down.

Anything between the two goal posts....such as the fiasco down in Cleveland last year...where if it made it over the crossbar was in question...but anything above the poles is not reviewable.

I understand #2 now.

Well the way I understood the facemask rule is basically the old 5 yard penalty was now legal..being that it wasn't hurting any players(no helmets got twisted in a 5 yard offense) And any facemask that turned the helmet was a 15 yarder...so if anything I love this rule change...as long as it is in effect how I'm believed to understand it.

Dam8610
08-13-2008, 05:10 PM
I really dont think we are the worst team in hte league, not by a long shot, and I will be severely disappointed if the Ravens have the first overall pick in next years draft.

Note how I didn't say worst team, but worst record. I don't think the Ravens will be the worst team in the NFL next year, but they could end up with the worst record. I think at least a couple of teams in the NFC will be worse, but they'll have more opportunities to win IMO.

A Perfect Score
08-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Note how I didn't say worst team, but worst record. I don't think the Ravens will be the worst team in the NFL next year, but they could end up with the worst record. I think at least a couple of teams in the NFC will be worse, but they'll have more opportunities to win IMO.

Thats probably true...that said, I still think one of our QB's (most liklely troy smith...my faith in boller has waned) will step up and lead us to a few wins. Nowadays, its almost a crutch to have the first overall pick...That, and it would really suck to see my team with the first overall pick :(

BlindSite
08-13-2008, 05:39 PM
The NFC South is a better division than the NFC West. So no, it won't be the worst in football.

imo
Carolina, Tampa, New Orleans >> Seattle, Arizona, St Louis
49ers = Atlanta

Geo
08-13-2008, 06:08 PM
I would agree with that, I don't like the Rams or 49ers this year. The Falcons are in complete rebuilding mode, and I'm not crazy about the Bucs, but I'll give the South the edge over the West.

I'm not going to argue if the AFC South or NFC East is the strongest, it's hard to say and maybe the NFC East gets the lead this year depending on if/how much Tennessee regresses. But I'll just say both are the best in the league.

Dam8610
08-13-2008, 06:09 PM
The NFC South is a better division than the NFC West. So no, it won't be the worst in football.

imo
Carolina, Tampa, New Orleans >> Seattle, Arizona, St Louis
49ers = Atlanta

Then why does the division turn over every year, with the winner winning about 10 games?

BlindSite
08-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Then why does the division turn over every year, with the winner winning about 10 games?

Its not that unusual, Atlanta, New Orleans, Carolina and Tampa Bay have all had issues at QB, Head Coach or major injury Bugs the past few years.

In 04 for example if Carolina didn't lose 22 players to IR in one year they would've been the winner not atlanta. Tampa had massive issues at QB that year.

In 05 Tampa and Carolina fought for the division. Saints had their asses kicked with Katrina.

In 06 The Panthers had injuries at QB for 3 games and defensive injuries for a bunch of game causing them to fall off the map. The Saints signed a new HC and QB who utilised their talent. The Buccs got healthy but had their QB issues still.

In 07 Atlanta had Qb issues and HC Issues, Tampa was good at both for once and hey presto... Playoffs.

The division has never had 4 teams with stable head coaches or Quarterbacks on all 4 teams for a long, long time.

This year that's changed, though Tampa is likely going to falter very soon.

This will likely be the NFC Souths best year for a long time.

princefielder28
08-14-2008, 01:24 PM
The NFC West is far and away the worst division, not the NFC South. Seattle's lack offense makes them very vulnerable and the Cardinals are probably #2 in the division. The AFC West is worse than the NFC South. Chargers are the elite in that division, but Denver, Oakland, and Kansas City do not have ralistic shots at making the playoffs. The NFC South has three legit playoff contenders, not counting Atlanta, and New Orleans has the talent to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl; much stronger than the two west divisions.

Dam8610
08-14-2008, 03:53 PM
The NFC West is far and away the worst division, not the NFC South. Seattle's lack offense makes them very vulnerable and the Cardinals are probably #2 in the division. The AFC West is worse than the NFC South. Chargers are the elite in that division, but Denver, Oakland, and Kansas City do not have ralistic shots at making the playoffs. The NFC South has three legit playoff contenders, not counting Atlanta, and New Orleans has the talent to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl; much stronger than the two west divisions.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel that strength at the bottom really only matters when you have strength at the top. There is no team from the NFC South that consistently wins a lot of games and makes the playoffs, so what we have here is 4 weak and inconsistent teams that shuffle themselves in a different order each year. At least in the NFC West, the Seahawks have a strong team, and the Cardinals (who I feel have playoff chances, I highly doubt more than one team from the South makes it) have a chance to be one. In the AFC West, the Chargers are a powerhouse and top 3 team in the league, and if the Broncos get their act together, they have the makings of a playoff team. Yes, the Saints, Buccaneers, and Panthers all have a chance to make the playoffs, but that's only because they're grouped together, and only one is going to make it yet again.

bored of education
08-14-2008, 04:06 PM
yay@the chiefs not on the clock!

eaglesfan_45
08-14-2008, 04:19 PM
#1 No Way Eli Manning can become the real deal IMO, I just can't see it happening. He will always be the guy who is supposed to improve year in and year out. He will never become anything more than above average IMO.

#3 I don't think Big Ben will become the next GREAT NFL QB, I think he will be just below that tier.
Elite QBs- Peyton Manning, Tom Brady
Good QBs- Big Ben, Carson Palmer, Tony Romo, Drew Brees

#4 The NFC East is and will continue to be the toughest division in football.

Also, If I were to do one, my #1 Truth would be this:
Brett Farve will wish he would have stayed in retirement.

edit: Oh, and Scotty Boy, I didn't forget #2 I just didn't have a problem with it.

Cribbs>Hester
08-14-2008, 04:21 PM
What is with all the truths threads?

I have one truth and one truth only:

We are going to see some of the greatest domination by one conference and one elite group of teams we've ever seen. I predict with the weak NFC and weaker bottom teir teams that Indianapolis, New England, Jacksonville and San Diego will all have 13 or more wins while the best team in the NFC(Dallas) will only bost a 12-4 record.

Dam8610
08-14-2008, 04:40 PM
#1 No Way Eli Manning can become the real deal IMO, I just can't see it happening. He will always be the guy who is supposed to improve year in and year out. He will never become anything more than above average IMO.

Well, you're an Eagles fan, I wouldn't expect you to see that happening. That said, Manning still has Plaxico Burress as his #1 option, he finally has a good #2 option in the elusive Steve Smith, who looked like he could've gotten open in a phone booth in the Super Bowl, and he finally has a TE who won't make silly drops and run his mouth, but rather concentrate on getting better, not to mention the strong run game backing him up. The pieces are all finally in place and Eli showed what he could do with them at the end of last year, I think he'll continue along that path.

#3 I don't think Big Ben will become the next GREAT NFL QB, I think he will be just below that tier.
Elite QBs- Peyton Manning, Tom Brady
Good QBs- Big Ben, Carson Palmer, Tony Romo, Drew Brees

Well, here's the difference between me and the average person on this website. My elite tier already contains 3 QBs, those being the two you have and Carson Palmer. Why Palmer? Because he's put up MVP caliber numbers before, and the talent is obviously there for him to do it again. I know he had a pretty bad season last year, but I view that in the same way that I view Peyton Manning's 2001 season: Palmer had no defense and no one feared his running game, so most of the time, teams were ahead and could just sit back in coverage and wait for him to make a mistake by forcing a throw he normally wouldn't make. The result was a decrease in TDs and an increase in INTs. As for Roethlisberger, again, I just see all the pieces being in place as well as him having a good chemistry with his receiving corps. I think he's going to put up big numbers for a few years, and people will have no choice but to recognize him for it.

#4 The NFC East is and will continue to be the toughest division in football.

I maintain my belief that if the AFC South played the NFC East round robin, the South would win more games.

BlindSite
08-14-2008, 06:19 PM
You're still off when it comes to the NFC West and the NFC South, if anything last years games between the South is a better division.

eaglesfan_45
08-14-2008, 06:26 PM
You're still off when it comes to the NFC West and the NFC South, if anything last years games between the South is a better division.

The NFC West is god awful!
The NFC South has a potentially great team in the Saints. They have the always solid Buccaneers, the talented but underachieving Panthers, and a team that I believe could suprise in the Falcons.

LonghornsLegend
08-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Honestly with the whole 'toughest division' thing, I don't think there is a right answer over AFC South or NFC East, your teams in the AFC South so its normal for you to say so, but we know what fans of the NFC East think, I don't think one is wrong and one is right because both have their arguments that make sense...It's no point in arguing really, everyone has their stance and thats where they stand, but for the most part each fan of each of those teams thinks their own division is the toughest, and that lets you know its more of a toss-up then some people want to believe.

Completely agree about Big Ben, glad to hear somebody give him the respect he deserves because it seems somebody is always doubting his talent, first he was a game manager, then his defense won games, the excuses are running out the guy can flat out play, and he has a ring on his finger, he deserves alot more credit then he is given and its good to see him get his due here.

BigDawg819
08-14-2008, 06:53 PM
The Ravens on the clock? Thats the most absurd statement EVER.

Why was our defense bad last year? Lack of pass rush and injuries in the secondary. Well the secondary is healthy not to mention the addition of Fabian Washington, which negates the Corey Ivy effect, safety depth, and oh yeah the return of Trevor Pryce so expect a huge year from Suggs.

The only thing worse then expecting us to be the worst is saying Bart Scott is an intricate part of our defense. HE'S A CLOWN!

Offense, schmoffense, we'll be legendary on Special Teams.

Dam8610
08-15-2008, 09:58 AM
The NFC West is god awful!
The NFC South has a potentially great team in the Saints. They have the always solid Buccaneers, the talented but underachieving Panthers, and a team that I believe could suprise in the Falcons.

I already explained why I disagree, but once more:

The "potentially great Saints" had the #2 overall pick 2 years ago, and while their team has improved from that, they took a step back from their 10 win team from 2006 last year. The "always solid Buccaneers" had the #4 overall pick last year, and have been up and down ever since Dungy left. The "talented but underachieving Panthers" are aptly described by you, being the most consistent team in this division, but not in a good way. Finally, the "could surprise Falcons" are a few months removed from the #3 overall pick, and the only reason they're in a position to surprise is because no team can establish themselves as a strong contender in that division. The NFC West may be weak at the bottom, but at least it's strong at the top.

Dam8610
08-15-2008, 10:09 AM
The Ravens on the clock? Thats the most absurd statement EVER.

Don't fans of every team think that at the beginning of the year?

Why was our defense bad last year? Lack of pass rush and injuries in the secondary. Well the secondary is healthy not to mention the addition of Fabian Washington, which negates the Corey Ivy effect, safety depth, and oh yeah the return of Trevor Pryce so expect a huge year from Suggs.

Where did I say your team's defense was bad? It's aging, and most of the starters are on the downside of their career, but I never said they would be bad. I expect them to be about average, with the ineptitude of the offense pushing them to the #1 overall pick.

The only thing worse then expecting us to be the worst is saying Bart Scott is an intricate part of our defense. HE'S A CLOWN!

Like I told another Ravens fan on this thread, I don't expect the Ravens to be the worst team in the league, just to have the worst record. By the way, feel free to point out where I called Bart Scott "an intricate part of [the Ravens] defense". I tend to agree more with your assessment, but it's hard to deny that he's made plays for that defense.

Offense, schmoffense, we'll be legendary on Special Teams.

Sorry, but not even Devin Hester could substitute for a decent offense, and I don't think that defense is going to be able to maintain those 10-7 leads anymore.

Hines
08-15-2008, 10:18 AM
I agree that the Browns have a good shot at winning the division, but with their lack of depth at corner, I would spread them out and beat them there. They have the potential on paper, but I would chose a proven team in Pittsburgh over Cleveland, even though I do think Cleveland will take one of the Wild Card spots. They improve their corner depth, and get another pass rusher beside Wimbley, I think they have a legit shot at taking the division. But since they have neither, they will be in second place.

Geo
08-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Wouldn't the Patrots being on the clock be the most absurd statement ever?

Actually, how about pink elephant of Idaho, you are now on the clock?

Just wondering aloud ...

Ewing The Third
08-15-2008, 11:53 AM
I got nowhere else to post this and I'd rather do in an AFC South fan's thread than a Cowboys fan thread.

Here are my playoff predictions:

NFC
Seattle Seahawks def. Arizona Cardinals(WC)
New York Giants(WC) def. New Orleans Saints

New York Giants def. Dallas Cowboys
Minnesota Vikings def. Seattle Seahawks

Minnesota Vikings def. New York Giants

AFC
Pittsburgh Steelers(WC) def. Jacksonville Jaguars
Indianapolis Colts(WC) def. New York Jets

San Diego Chargers def. Indianapolis Colts
Cleveland Browns def. Pittsburgh Steelers

San Diego Chargers def. Cleveland Browns

Super Bowl XLIII
San Diego Chargers def. Minnesota Vikings, 33 - 29

CC.SD
08-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Wouldn't the Patrots being on the clock be the most absurd statement ever?

Just wondering aloud ...

With the 1st overall pick, the Idaho Pink Elephants select...
Jack Daniels. Linebacker, Tennessee.

Dam8610
08-15-2008, 12:21 PM
I agree that the Browns have a good shot at winning the division, but with their lack of depth at corner, I would spread them out and beat them there. They have the potential on paper, but I would chose a proven team in Pittsburgh over Cleveland, even though I do think Cleveland will take one of the Wild Card spots. They improve their corner depth, and get another pass rusher beside Wimbley, I think they have a legit shot at taking the division. But since they have neither, they will be in second place.

I really like the moves the Browns made in the offseason to solidify their defense, and if their offense can continue to produce, that defense is only going to have to be middle of the pack for them to take that division. I will admit they need to be stronger in the division this year, but I think the way they strengthened their defense was somewhat tailored to their division.

Well, the Pink Elephant of Idaho simply have too much talent on their roster to wind up with the #1 overall pick.

drowe
08-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Hey, it's trendy, I have opinions, why not? I promise not to say anything about a certain future Hall of Fame QB that wears number 4.

7) The Baltimore Ravens are now on the clock
You heard it here first, the Ravens will have the worst record in the NFL. Ed Reed is still a great safety, and they have some solid pieces upfront, but apart from Haloti Ngata, Bart Scott, and Terrell Suggs (who is not too happy playing for the franchise tag), all of those pieces are on the downside of their career. On offense, their running game is a question mark, they haven't picked a QB yet, and have an open competition between three players, and their former all-pro LT just retired. I know he wasn't as good as he used to be, but he was still decent. Their offense is a mess, their defense isn't as tight as it used to be, and they're working under a first year head coach. It sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

interesting to note, there are many similarities between the 07 Dolphins and the 08 Ravens.

-both had huge issues at QB going into the season.
-both had a recent history of a struggling offense and a solid, but fading defense.
-cam cameron
-both had very shaky o-lines.
-both had a star pass rusher that was unhappy with the team (taylor. suggs)
-both had a solid young RB that fits cameron's mold very well.
-both teams were very thin at WR
-both teams made a questionable first round pick involving a QB (Joe Flacco/passing on Brady Quinn).
-and, consider the dolphin's one win from last year came against the ravens

CC.SD
08-15-2008, 12:44 PM
I really like the moves the Browns made in the offseason to solidify their defense, and if their offense can continue to produce, that defense is only going to have to be middle of the pack for them to take that division. I will admit they need to be stronger in the division this year, but I think the way they strengthened their defense was somewhat tailored to their division.

Well, the Pink Elephant of Idaho simply have too much talent on their roster to wind up with the #1 overall pick.

Well their running game is unstoppable, but their passing is a little shaky and their defense is hard hitting but extremely undisciplined.

Ravens1991
08-15-2008, 12:46 PM
what if the Ravens one win this year comes from the Dolphins, that is twilight zone stuff.

Shiver
08-15-2008, 04:48 PM

1) Eli Manning is the real deal, but the Giants will not repeat
I think what we saw from Eli Manning during the postseason was not an aberration, but rather a quarterback coming of age. He made good reads, he found open receivers, and the bad/dumb throws he used to make didn't really make any appearances (I guess you can say the Tyree miracle catch is a throw a QB shouldn't make, but down by 4 in the Super Bowl on 3rd and 5, do you really want your QB throwing the ball away?). He seems to have a good chemistry with Steve Smith and Kevin Boss, and Plaxico Burress is obviously still his favorite target. He's going to make the Pro Bowl this year, the Giants will contend for the division, and maybe win it, but they're going to have targets on their back all year, and it's so hard to repeat in the NFL today.

Then again it isn't that difficult to make the pro-bowl in the NFC.

2) The Cleveland Browns will win the AFC North
Am I the only one that sees the Browns' revamped DL and thinks that Phil Savage is in line for NFL Executive of the year honors? Kam Wimbley is one of the best kept secrets in the NFL, the bulk they have upfront is going to collapse pockets and stop teams from running all over them, and they have two good, young safeties. On offense, they have a top 10 WR, a top 3 TE, and one of the best OLs in the NFL for an average Derek Anderson to work with. As long as they can squeeze another productive season out of Jamal Lewis, they have the potential to improve on last year's 10-6 squad. The only team standing in their way is the Pittsburgh Steelers, because...

I couldn't disagree more. The Cleveland Browns overachieved last year and they have a murderers row of a schedule. Derek Anderson was exposed in the last half of the season, as he had a TD/INT ratio of 12:10 during that time span. I also do not trust Jamal Lewis to continue upon his surprising success of last year. I think the defense will be better though, but I think they are more likely to win six games then eleven.

3) Ben Roethlisberger is the NFL's next great QB
In his first couple of years, Roethlisberger was asked only to manage the game and let his running game do the heavy lifting for the offense, but last year, he was asked to be the focal point of the offense, and he came through with flying colors. He now has an improving Santonio Holmes, a complete TE in Heath Miller, and a young Limas Sweed to go with Hines Ward, as well as an excellent set of RBs. As long as their OL can hold up, this should be a scary offensive attack. Expect a 4000+ yard, 30+ TD season from Roethlisberger in 2008 if he can stay healthy all year.

He isn't already great? But semantics aside I think that it would be a bad thing for the Steelers if Roethlisberger had a statistical line like that. They are best served pounding defenses into submission with Parker and Mendenhall and allowing Ben to pass off of play action to alleviate their porous O-Line problem.

4) The AFC South will continue to be the toughest division in football
Say what you will, NFC East fans, the Colts are a perennial title contender, the Jaguars are one of the top 7 or 8 teams in football at worst talent wise, the Titans will be a playoff contender again this year, and the Texans might be one for the first time in their existence. With the NFC North and AFC North on the schedule this year, I don't see any of these teams being under .500, with at least 2 of them making the playoffs.

The only thing I do not agree with is that I think the Titans will be the worst team in the division.

I can't argue with you.

The NFL competition committee made three very important rule changes that are each going to have an effect on the outcome of at least one game this season, and possibly the length of some players' seasons. The first change is that a field goal is now a reviewable play. I can see how this is going to play out already: Some team is going to kick a game winning field goal, but it's going to be questionable (say it went over the left post), and the coach is going to challenge, and he's going to get it overturned, and there's going to be a huge controversy about the game. The second change is the elimination of the force out rule. It's obvious how this could affect the outcome of a game, but an intersting tidbit from competition committee member Bill Polian on this: "I donít think the force-out rule is going to have an effect on the way the game is played in a macro sense. I worry about what kind of effect itís going to have on injuries to receivers...I believe Bill Belichick was quoted as saying it a couple of days ago, as saying youíre going to change the way you defense the pass on the sideline and I think heís 100 percent right. Ö Thatís what certain members of the competition committee, myself included, were worried about with that rule. Thatís the downside of that rule..." That is why I expect to see this rule back in 2009. The third change is the elimination of the 5 yard facemask. I understand they're trying to eliminate some judgment calls, but does a touch of the facemask really warrant 15 yards and an automatic first down?[quote]

Randy Moss and Braylon Edwards value in fantasy leagues will be hurt by the force-out rule.

[quote]7) The Baltimore Ravens are now on the clock

8) The Buffalo Bills and Arizona Cardinals will compete for playoff spots
I'm not saying either will get one, but I think both teams are improved. The Bills may have found what they need on defense in Marcus Stroud, and I think Trent Edwards has what it takes to be a great QB someday. I don't think he's there yet, which is why I don't put them in the postseason. As for the Cardinals, I think they give Leinart another chance, but I also think he's on a short leash, so they will go with Warner early if Leinart struggles. They seem to be developing a solid defense, and they've had the pieces on offense for a while, so I look for them to be above .500 and potentially in the postseason.

I am going to love the fact that the Bills will be much better than the MSM's darling team the New York Jets.

As for the Cardinals I think that they have two big question marks that will hold them back: Matt Leinart is a bust in the making and Edgerrin James is the slowest starting RB in the NFL.

9) The season series between the Packers and Vikings will decide the NFC North
There's one reason I give that much credit to the Vikings, and that is Jared Allen. He's a monster pass rusher and should give the Vikings a presence they've been lacking on their defense in recent years, when QBs could throw all over them at will. The Packers have a new starting QB this year (in case anyone wasn't aware of this), but they're still young and good at all of the skill positions with a consistent OL, and they still have their young playmakers on defense, so they won't drop off that much. I think both teams will win something close to 11 games, and if either wins the season series, they'll win the division.

I am down on the Packers, up on the Vikings, but both are heads and shoulders above the Bears and Lions.

10) And the Awards go to...
MVP: QB Peyton Manning, Colts. Is it a homer pick? Yes, but I feel that Manning is going to have to do more than he has had to in recent years to get the Colts to the top of the South, and I think he'll rise to the challenge. Getting Marvin Harrison back, having a developing Anthony Gonzalez, and adding a skillful pass catching TE in Jacob Tamme won't hurt his cause either.

People are desensitized to Peyton Manning. Even if he has a great season it will be boring and predictable. They will give it to someone who has an unexpectedly great season.

Offensive POY: WR Randy Moss, Patriots. He's not going to have another 23 TD season, but he will catch the majority of Brady's TD passes and get around 1500 yards. This will somewhat make up for the MVP he should've won last year.

Could be, but I think a QB or RB will be more likely.

Defensive POY: DE Jared Allen, Vikings. I'd love to see Bob Sanders win it again, and I think he has a chance, but I think Allen will get the recognition he deserves this year by turning the Vikings defense from a good one that can be passed on to a great one that is tough to move the ball against. Add in 15+ sacks and the award is as good as his.

That D-Line could be unstoppable.

Offensive ROY: RB Matt Forte, Bears. He's going to be the Day 1 starter, and I really like his game. I can see him getting well over 1000 yards with about 10 TDs this season if the Bears' OL can hold up.

No way. The Bears' offense looks like it will be a disaster: Orton/Grossman at QB, Hester as the go-to WR, a rookie RB from Tulane... yikes.

Defensive ROY: LB Keith Rivers, Bengals. He's going to get opportunities from Day 1, and if he can make an impact on the Bengals' defense, they could be a surprise team this season. He's going to get well over 100 tackles if he stays healthy.

He may rake up a gaudy ammount of tackles, but unless the Bengals become a good defense I have a hard time seeing him rewarded.

PalmerToCJ
08-15-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm not buying the Browns. I see entirely too much '06 Bengals in them. Overachieve the year before against a weak schedule then come back the next year against a harder schedule with more of a target on your chest.

Jamal Lewis completely proved me wrong last year but I just don't see him playing to the level he did last year. I know they have a very good line, I just think the best case scenario is he equals the production of last year (which very well could happen). I expect something along the lines of 7 to 9 wins. The Steelers have been the class of the division for years now, all the other teams come and go.

The Browns are 1-7 the last 2 years against the Bengals and Steelers, you have to win games in your division before you have a prayer at winning it.

As for Big Ben. I think he should be solidly in the second tier QB slot, given the offense they run I don't think he'll ever have the numbers to be one of the top ones. Not that that's a bad thing, it's what they need from him. I expect more of last year from him this upcoming season.

bigbluedefense
08-15-2008, 07:06 PM
great point on the rules changes. i think this is a significant advantage for the defense, and makes defending the sidelines easier.

also the radio for a defensive player makes the no huddle offense less effective. should be interesting to see.

Geo
08-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Less effective? Not necessarily.

The opposing offense can either wait until 15 seconds are left to properly line up as planned, or go ahead and get the play off early before the coaches can say anything useful.

bigbluedefense
08-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Less effective? Not necessarily.

The opposing offense can either wait until after 15 seconds (when it turns off) to line up, or go ahead and get the play off early before the coaches can say anything useful.

it turns off after 15 seconds?

Geo
08-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Ah, that should be 25 seconds. 15 seconds left on the play clock.

Dam8610
08-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Then again it isn't that difficult to make the pro-bowl in the NFC.

True, but it's something that Eli has never done, and it's an accomplishment that would certainly mark his progress, considering he hasn't had the support of his fans prior to this offseason for a while, except maybe for those 5 games at the end of last year.

I couldn't disagree more. The Cleveland Browns overachieved last year and they have a murderers row of a schedule. Derek Anderson was exposed in the last half of the season, as he had a TD/INT ratio of 12:10 during that time span. I also do not trust Jamal Lewis to continue upon his surprising success of last year. I think the defense will be better though, but I think they are more likely to win six games then eleven.

Remember when we all thought Tony Romo was exposed at the end of the 2006 season? I'll admit, I was guilty of it. He came out in 2007 and put up another solid season. Does that mean Anderson will do the same? No, but my point is don't discount him. Even if he does struggle, I don't think he has a long leash with Brady Quinn waiting on the bench. Jamal Lewis to me is their biggest offensive question mark, and I believe I mentioned that in my write-up. Winning a division is never an easy task, but I think the Browns did enough this offseason to get the job done.

He isn't already great? But semantics aside I think that it would be a bad thing for the Steelers if Roethlisberger had a statistical line like that. They are best served pounding defenses into submission with Parker and Mendenhall and allowing Ben to pass off of play action to alleviate their porous O-Line problem.

When I say "great", I mean people are going to start putting him in the same company as Manning and Brady soon, maybe even after this season. As for the Steelers offense, they seem to, for the first time maybe ever, have built their offense around the passing game with the veteran Ward, the young but talented Holmes (who seems to have developed an excellent chemistry with Roethlisberger), possibly the most complete TE in the NFL in Heath Miller, and they just drafted another young, big target for Ben to work with in Limas Sweed.

People are desensitized to Peyton Manning. Even if he has a great season it will be boring and predictable. They will give it to someone who has an unexpectedly great season.

I'm glad someone else recognizes this. Peyton Manning has had the quietest back to back 31 passing TD seasons ever IMO.

No way. The Bears' offense looks like it will be a disaster: Orton/Grossman at QB, Hester as the go-to WR, a rookie RB from Tulane... yikes.

I think he's going to be their primary back, and I really like his running style (he reminds me of Addai if Addai was a tick slower and about 10 pounds bigger). Add in that he's one of maybe three rookie RBs with a chance to start, and he's in the best situation to succeed, and he seems a solid pick, to me at least.

He may rake up a gaudy ammount of tackles, but unless the Bengals become a good defense I have a hard time seeing him rewarded.

I could see it going to Curtis Lofton or Jerod Mayo, but this award usually goes to a LB that starts early and racks up a lot of tackles.

I'm not buying the Browns. I see entirely too much '06 Bengals in them. Overachieve the year before against a weak schedule then come back the next year against a harder schedule with more of a target on your chest.

The main things that led to the downfall of the 06 Bengals were the injury to David Pollack and the suspension of Odell Thurman. That decimated their LB corps, and their defense suffered for it. I don't foresee the same issues for the Browns, despite all of their previous bad luck with high draft picks, they've seemed to turn that around at least somewhat under Phil Savage.

Jamal Lewis completely proved me wrong last year but I just don't see him playing to the level he did last year. I know they have a very good line, I just think the best case scenario is he equals the production of last year (which very well could happen). I expect something along the lines of 7 to 9 wins. The Steelers have been the class of the division for years now, all the other teams come and go.

The Browns are 1-7 the last 2 years against the Bengals and Steelers, you have to win games in your division before you have a prayer at winning it.

The Steelers defense is aging, and while they should have a good offense, so should the Browns. Really it is going to come down to the division for them, but I think they've strengthened their defense for matchups in the NFC North, and I don't think teams are going to be able to run over this team. They might have some trouble against the pass, which isn't good with Palmer and Roethlisberger lining up against you, but they came close to winning these games last year, I think they can break through and win enough in the division this year to get the job done.

As for Big Ben. I think he should be solidly in the second tier QB slot, given the offense they run I don't think he'll ever have the numbers to be one of the top ones. Not that that's a bad thing, it's what they need from him. I expect more of last year from him this upcoming season.

I really don't think this is the Steelers offense of old that pounds the football at you 40 times per game. Honestly, if I didn't know any better, I'd say the Steelers were on the verge of running a spread. They have all the pieces for it.