PDA

View Full Version : Scott Wright's first 2009 mock draft!

Geo
08-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Okay, all the warm and fuzzy feelings about the 2008 Draft are done with, it's time for 2009.

Check out Scott's brand new '09 mock up on the brand new Draft Countdown site.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/

Discuss.

Shane P. Hallam
08-13-2008, 04:42 PM
I like it to start out. Some interesting names (mostly linemen) I have to start to know some more, but it seems pretty good.

The order is interesting, definitely possible. Good work by Scott in including a lot of underclassmen. Honestly, placements seem about right for all the players at this point in their stock.

Picking on which positions go to which teams is too early for that. I mean, we don't know what will happen. I think this mock was more to slot player value anyway.

Matthew Jones
08-13-2008, 04:43 PM
I could see the Patriots going for a tight end, but at the same time I don't think they pull the trigger unless either Watson has a miserable year or they view Pettigrew or someone else as an elite talent. If it was me, the Patriots would be drafting a right tackle in the first round, perhaps Alex Boone out of Ohio State. Nick Kaczur got in a bit of trouble and isn't an elite player in the league, so he could be getting in the doghouse. There were rumors a few years ago that he might be released before camp ended for being a lazy player, and honestly I'm a bit surprised he wasn't released following that Oxycontin incident.

ALD
08-13-2008, 04:44 PM
With Moala going with the next pick I'd be pretty pissed if we got another LB unless Kiwi gets permanently moved to DE which is unlikely ATM. Largely because we've already got a lot of young talented guys fighting for the will, and because the will's fairly easy to replace in our defense, hence Mitchell being so effective and the lack of effort in re-signing him.

draftguru151
08-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Eugene Monroe <3.

While I don't mind Rey at all I don't really like picking a 3-4 ILB at #2 overall and would much rather have an edge guy there.

Addict
08-13-2008, 04:46 PM
I love the new layout. Flashier, nice.

One thing though: if the forum is supposed to be centered: I don't really like that. Makes it look weird.

Also... we can't call it NFLDC anymore?

Shane P. Hallam
08-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Eugene Monroe <3.

While I don't mind Rey at all I don't really like picking a 3-4 ILB at #2 overall and would much rather have an edge guy there.

No Malcolm Jenkins hetero-life partner? I still like him to Miami, won't happen, but I don't why I feel him there.

And I'm feeling the SWDC. Sounds swankified.

keylime_5
08-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Like the thinking with the Browns pick. We don't need a starting CB, we need depth. Our top 2 look like they're gonna be great, but behind them we have nothing. LOLB will be a big hole next year.

Geo
08-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Honestly speaking, I am not a fan of Fili Moala to the Colts in the 1st round or just in general to them. Southern Cal, like Oklahoma and Georgia among others imo, produces a handful of really good players but are by and large bust factories. Or at least produce overrated prospects.

And I want nothing to do with Moala in particular. Not at all.

All that said, I doubt he's a good fit for the defense or that the scouting department will consider him as such.

Addict
08-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Beanie Wells would be great Scott, but don't you think if the Lions were picking that low (which seems likely) the main problem would be the defense, and more specifically, the pass-rush? If so, Michael Johnson might make more sense.

draftguru151
08-13-2008, 04:56 PM
No Malcolm Jenkins hetero-life partner? I still like him to Miami, won't happen, but I don't why I feel him there.

And I'm feeling the SWDC. Sounds swankified.

CB is definitely a need but we reeeeeeeally need the pass rusher. Joey Porter, Charlie Anderson and Matt Roth? Eek.

Cribbs>Hester
08-13-2008, 05:00 PM
I love the Browns pick. I am torn between him and Maurice Evans as a potential DE/OLB Hybrid for my Browns. Also, we don't need to draft a corner at all, period. That is the worst thing we could do. We need to sign or trade for a veteran corner to help along our young secondary bc right now the oldest player in our backfield is Sean Jones...not much experience.

Round 2 I would love to land a guy like Antoine Caldwell from Alabama because he can play Guard and Center. Hank Fraley(Finally in shape this year) is the weak link of the offensive line, which is great for us because he's not bad by any means, also between him and Tucker those are are two olders and biggest concerns on offense.

Then the rest of the draft just continue to add depth and talented players all around.

keylime_5
08-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Beanie Wells would be great Scott, but don't you think if the Lions were picking that low (which seems likely) the main problem would be the defense, and more specifically, the pass-rush? If so, Michael Johnson might make more sense.

That seems like what the Lions would do: take a skill player when they need help in the trenches.

keylime_5
08-13-2008, 05:02 PM
I love the Browns pick. I am torn between him and Maurice Evans as a potential DE/OLB Hybrid for my Browns. Also, we don't need to draft a corner at all, period. That is the worst thing we could do. We need to sign or trade for a veteran corner to help along our young secondary bc right now the oldest player in our backfield is Sean Jones...not much experience.

Round 2 I would love to land a guy like Antoine Caldwell from Alabama because he can play Guard and Center. Hank Fraley(Finally in shape this year) is the weak link of the offensive line, which is great for us because he's not bad by any means, also between him and Tucker those are are two olders and biggest concerns on offense.

Then the rest of the draft just continue to add depth and talented players all around.

I agree with that. I am high on Mo Evans, not sure if he'd be a perfect fit in our defense though. I like Ricky Sapp should he come out, seems like he's poised for a breakout year at Clemson. Greg Hardy is intriguing too. In round 2 I want Alphonso Smith from Wake.

Cribbs>Hester
08-13-2008, 05:05 PM
I agree with that. I am high on Mo Evans, not sure if he'd be a perfect fit in our defense though. I like Ricky Sapp should he come out, seems like he's poised for a breakout year at Clemson. Greg Hardy is intriguing too. In round 2 I want Alphonso Smith from Wake.

I looked into Ricky Sapp and the Cunningham guy from Florida and everything I learned about them screamed Thug to me. I don't want anything to do with cocky arrogant guys who think they're above the law because they're athletes blah blah blah ect. I don't want us turning into the Bengals. My two favorites are Brown and Evans. I'm worried about Selvie and Johnson's bust potential, but I doubt they fall to the late teens or twenties anyway.

Shane P. Hallam
08-13-2008, 05:12 PM
CB is definitely a need but we reeeeeeeally need the pass rusher. Joey Porter, Charlie Anderson and Matt Roth? Eek.

That is true. Maybe you can get ready to get the Lawrence Wilson train in Round 2!

Paranoidmoonduck
08-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Besides Maualuga going second overall and Myron Rolle going in the first round, everything looked great. Nice work.

bearsfan_51
08-13-2008, 05:43 PM
It's early so there's really not much point in arguing about rankings, but if the Bears passed on Tim Tebow and he fell to the Vikings I would cry myself to sleep.

CJSchneider
08-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Things change so much from the first posted mock until the finished product. We know that. That being said, I think some things pan out differently as time proceeds.

I think for me, the biggest suprise was seeing Crabtree projected behind Heyward-Bey.

All in all, I'm excited that the new mock is up. I feel like a little kid on Christmas morning.

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-13-2008, 05:46 PM
I hope were not picking pick 6 and doubt we will but its a good pick.

eaglesalltheway
08-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Well done by Scott, nice placement for the most part, and except for some minor details, all the players are going about where I would expect, Very good Eagles picks help his case too;).

TimD
08-13-2008, 06:12 PM
cant find it. link?

Shane P. Hallam
08-13-2008, 06:17 PM
The link is at the top.

www.draftcountdown.com

D-Unit
08-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Percy Harvin to the Boys... Can YOU dig it????

That would be pretty awesome, but I still want to see if the added muscle actually improves or hurts his game.

Really surprised to see DHB go before Crabtree.

MidwayMonster31
08-13-2008, 07:02 PM
I like the new format. It's much flashier and it shows better. Overall, I like the initial mock draft that even factors underclassmen. You never know at the beginning of the year.
Not so fond of the bears pick though. I know that they need a deep-threat, but I just don't like DHB as a prospect, I think he is raw and he's an unknown because Maryland has had bad quarterbacks. I would prefer a quarterback, unless you planned on the Bears getting Hunter Cantwell in the second round.

Geo
08-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Very surprised to see Crabtree as the third receiver off the board too. Especially with Chicago taking another receiver, but that might sense given how the current Bears regime have their offense in mind. It's not the offense I would want to build for the Bears playing outdoors at Soldier Field, and I think a big target like Crabtree with his ball skills would help out in those conditions and improve the accuracy of whoever the quarterback is. But I guess I see him closer to Fitzgerald than Hicks, as Scott pointed out.

Also, I liked the Top Ten except for the Southern Cal linebackers. And it's not that they play at Southern Cal, but rather #2 seems too high for a 3-4 ILB and the Bengals taking any linebacker with the 10th overall pick for a second year in a row.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Love the love for Monroe and Heyward Bey, they don't get that much attention playing for bad teams in the weak ACC but they are legit top 10 prospects IMO. It would be nice to see Mays with Landry but I just have this gut feeling that Chris Horton is a gem. If not then yeah the Skins should go safety but really I think corner is even a bigger need. Springs is near the end of his career and Rogers is coming off major knee surgery. Smoot has reinvented his career but he too will need a long term replacement. Vontae Davis would be a dream but I'd settle for Macho Harris. OLB could also be a need as well as a left Tackle or interior lineman.

Go_Eagles77
08-13-2008, 08:05 PM
It's pretty much the ideal draft for the eagles, fills our 2 biggest holes by far.

Smokey Joe
08-13-2008, 08:13 PM
If there isn't a top QB available when the Bears pick, and Andre Smith is available, I really hope we go with Smith. Yes, two straight years with a 1st round OLineman, but the Bears OLine is a mess and can use all the talent it can get. Chris Williams at LT and Andre Smith at LG (I really believe his future is either inside or at RT) would provide a very talented left side of the line for years to come.

eaglesfan_45
08-13-2008, 08:19 PM
The only little tiny problem I have with the Eagles mock is that Andre Smith is Shawn Andrews V.2. I would be happy with him, but I think a LT like Ciron Black or Eugene Monroe would be ideal. Overall, I like all the new stuff and The Eagles mock is great and I would be thrilled to get Andre Smith and William Moore.

yourfavestoner
08-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Myron Rolle to Jacksonville in the first round. This angers me in so many ways, I don't even know where to begin.

Malaka
08-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Giants would probably get a DT, because that is our biggest need, and if their was no one good available they'd go SS if Taylor Mays or Myron Rolle (someone along those lines are available) to pair with Kenny Phillips, because Sammy Knight and James Butler look the same out there so far, and that is not good, but KP looks real good.

We wouldn't go with a LB IMO, because Kiwi looks like he is staying a SLB, We drafted 2 LBs last year, in the 07' draft we drafted Zac DeOssie who has a lot of potential at 6'5 and runs around 4.5, 4.6, and when Gerris Wilkinson actually is healthy and plays he shows flashes of a very good LB.

zCaddyz
08-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Crabtree too the bucs i love it!

Staubach12
08-13-2008, 10:48 PM
I love the Cowboys pick. LOVE IT.

roidrunner
08-13-2008, 10:59 PM
love the packers pick, also love new site, clean and crisp. keep up the good work scott

DiG
08-13-2008, 11:04 PM
LOVE seeing my boy DHB ahead of crabtree although i do think that he should crack the top 10! His tangibles are insane and his hands are awesome. he reminds me a lot of Ocho actually but a little bit taller. (note that one down for your comparisons scott) the new wco at maryland this year should benefit him a lot.

as for the skins pick im not a fan. ive talked about it before on here but basically i think that the skins like Reed a lot after his first year and also like Horton and and Kareem Moore a ton from this past year. I think they will give these 3 young guy some time to grow before drafting a starter. Laron is going to be good enough to make anyone next to him look better.

i think the skins have to look at OT, CB, or OLBer in the first this upcoming season. There is ZERO depth behind McIntosh and Marcus Washington. HB Blades appears to be Londons replacement but we have to have more depth outside. Springs could fill that possible void at S down the road and how Rogers bounces back from injury will play into how big our need at cb is although even if he plays well i still think we need more talent with Springs age and the lack of quality depth behind smoot. With OT I am not confident that Jansen can stay healthy and I have zero faith in heyer to take his place. I think Rhinehart is a shoe in to replace Kendall at Guard so adding some talented youth at OT would be a big step.

08-13-2008, 11:24 PM
I seriously want to know these scouts who feel Tebow may have to move to fullback in the NFL. On a brighter note, the Raiders pick is just awesome ! Great way to start things off Scott.

WMD
08-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Don't like the Lions pick. Since Vontae Davis is gone :( I'd much rather have Michael Johnson, Michael Oher, or Eugene Monroe. I would hope you have my boy Herman Johnson going to the Lions in Round 2!

neko4
08-13-2008, 11:30 PM
However, to this point Croyle has done very little on the field to earn the level of confidence the Chiefs apparently have in

Thats because whenever he's on the field, he's on his ass

Like the Green Bay pick, but I have a feeling DT will be a need again.

CashmoneyDrew
08-14-2008, 12:33 AM
If the Titans pass on Crabtree at all I will drop my status as a Titans fan.

WMD
08-14-2008, 12:41 AM
If the Titans pass on Crabtree at all I will drop my status as a Titans fan.

Who's the fastest RB in the draft?

CashmoneyDrew
08-14-2008, 12:53 AM

Don't kick a man when he's down. :p

Brent
08-14-2008, 12:57 AM
Don't kick a man when he's down. :p
You can always hope that Meril Hodge's prediction from before the 2006 Draft comes true: "Which ever coaching staff drafts Vince Young will not have a job three years from now".

CashmoneyDrew
08-14-2008, 01:03 AM
You can always hope that Meril Hodge's prediction from before the 2006 Draft comes true: "Which ever coaching staff drafts Vince Young will not have a job three years from now".

No, I actually like most of our coaching staff. Reinfeldt...... not so much.

Flyboy
08-14-2008, 01:14 AM
Crabtree needs to be higher. :)

yourfavestoner
08-14-2008, 01:34 AM
Myron Rolle needs to be about three rounds lower.

Caddy
08-14-2008, 05:08 AM
I can safely say that I would be pretty happy if the Buccaneers were able to draft Michael Crabtree in the first round next year.

08-14-2008, 09:14 AM

I hope you're not hating on CJ. Dude is a stud and OROY, you watch. :)

Solomon
08-14-2008, 10:24 AM
I looked into Ricky Sapp and the Cunningham guy from Florida and everything I learned about them screamed Thug to me. I don't want anything to do with cocky arrogant guys who think they're above the law because they're athletes blah blah blah ect. I don't want us turning into the Bengals. My two favorites are Brown and Evans. I'm worried about Selvie and Johnson's bust potential, but I doubt they fall to the late teens or twenties anyway.

Two other guys who I think are really intriguing as far as 3-4 OLB pass rushers go are Eric Norwood and Brian Orakpo. Norwood racked up more than 20 tackles for loss in the SEC last year as a soph and this year he's making the move to OLB, hopefully he makes the transition smoother than Quentin Groves did last year. Orakpo has all the physical tools you look for and seems poised for a breakout year.

dpl85
08-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Scott is way too low on Crabtree and Tebow. Crabtree should dominate again this year and it has very little to do with the "system". I'd be shocked if Tebow didn't succeed as an NFL QB. Other than that everything is really good and cool. This is completely off topic but with the NFL player rankings Witten should be the #1 TE ahead of Gonzalez and Gates as he's as good or better than them as a receiver and a far superior blocker.

ALD
08-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Percy Harvin to the Boys... Can YOU dig it????

That would be pretty awesome, but I still want to see if the added muscle actually improves or hurts his game.

Really surprised to see DHB go before Crabtree.

I'd hate to have harvin on teh boys. I'd have to root against him then adn I like the kids too much. They should pick a prospect I don't like again.

Scott is way too low on Crabtree and Tebow. Crabtree should dominate again this year and it has very little to do with the "system". I'd be shocked if Tebow didn't succeed as an NFL QB. Other than that everything is really good and cool. This is completely off topic but with the NFL player rankings Witten should be the #1 TE ahead of Gonzalez and Gates as he's as good or better than them as a receiver and a far superior blocker.

And Shockey's an even better blocker and arguably as good of a receiver :rolleyes:

WMD
08-14-2008, 11:23 AM
I hope you're not hating on CJ. Dude is a stud and OROY, you watch. :)

Nah, not hating on him.. just calling attention to the Titans recent tendency to pick the fastest RB high in the draft (Chris Henry, Chris Johnson)

dpl85
08-14-2008, 11:23 AM
I'd hate to have harvin on teh boys. I'd have to root against him then adn I like the kids too much. They should pick a prospect I don't like again.

And Shockey's an even better blocker and arguably as good of a receiver :rolleyes:
Shockey might be a better blocker than Witten in a parallel universe but not here on Earth lol. Shockey's a good blocker but Witten's great.

bearsfan_51
08-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Oh I didn't even see the NFL rankings. Hmm....have some disagreements there. Sean Payton is a better coach than Lovie Smith? Based on what exactly. Smith has beaten Payton both times, has made a Superbowl, and doesn't look like a boyscout.

Not sure I'm feeling Antoine Winfield over Charles Tillman either, or Vrabel over Lance Briggs, but I am a Bears fan after all.

I'd take Romo and McNabb over Hasselback too, but I think Hasselback is overrated.

Geo
08-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Romo over Hasselbeck for sure, but definitely not McNabb in my book. If the Eagles had Hasselbeck, they'd reach the Super Bowl. McNabb is the player holding them back.

vidae
08-14-2008, 01:09 PM
First, awesome site layout. Looks a lot sleeker, very well done.

Second, come on Scott! Chiefs have the first pick?! Stafford IS a great pick for us though. I'm hoping he's wearing Chiefs red next year.

princefielder28
08-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Oh I didn't even see the NFL rankings. Hmm....have some disagreements there. Sean Payton is a better coach than Lovie Smith? Based on what exactly. Smith has beaten Payton both times, has made a Superbowl, and doesn't look like a boyscout.

Not sure I'm feeling Antoine Winfield over Charles Tillman either, or Vrabel over Lance Briggs, but I am a Bears fan after all.

I'd take Romo and McNabb over Hasselback too, but I think Hasselback is overrated.

The player rankings are interesting....

Mario Williams #1 DE? He had a great year two, but already the best DE in the league? That may be a bit of a stretch

It could be that I am a Packers fan, but Nick Barnett is better than the 10th best inside linebacker

ALD
08-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Shockey might be a better blocker than Witten in a parallel universe but not here on Earth lol. Shockey's a good blocker but Witten's great.

I'd expect you to say that, but if you actually focus on shockey's blocking you'll see he was dominant and probably the single biggest individual in running game last year. We averaged over a yard less per carry when he went down, and if oyu go back to the Dallas games he was just stonewalling Ware whenever they went one on one. Shockey became a dominant blocker this season, and that's one of the biggest reasons I wish he were still here.

ATLDirtyBirds
08-14-2008, 02:35 PM
I'd be very surprised if Crabtree fell down that low. And I don't think the Falcons would take a CB. We don't run as much man to man in Smith's scheme, making corners less valuable.

DiG
08-14-2008, 04:34 PM
im sorry scott but it is a joke that you dont have Portis on the top 10 rb list. are you serious??

In the past 4 years in Washington he has 4616 yards rushing and and 36 tds in 54 games. In his 6 year career so far he has 7715 yards rushing and 63 tds and he is ONLY 26 years old! He has had over 1000 yards every year since 2002 except for 06 when he was injured where he was over 500 yards in 8 games. He is only the third runner in league history to reach 1,500 yards in three of his first four seasons.

Seriously that has to be a joke.

And how is heath miller ahead of cooley?

I considered excusing you for not having Landry on your list due to his age but then i saw whitner and atogwe....thats ridiculous...i used to think you were more knowledgeable than this.

Self Rider
08-14-2008, 04:35 PM

I don't know where you looked but you know nothing about Ricky Sapp. You probably saw that he use to have dreadlocks and just assume he is a thug and arrogant. What has he done that makes you think he is above the law?

Back to his skill set he is 260 and runs a 4.4 coming in to this year.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
08-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Good to see Scott got it right with Vontae going higher than Jenkins.

I would prefer going with Andre Smith or Crabtree for the Bears. But, it is far from a bad pick.

Scott Wright
08-14-2008, 09:09 PM
1) I put Mario Williams in the top spot because he's a terrific all-around defensive end, he has great size at 6-7 and 290 lbs. and he's coming off a year where he racked up 14.0 sacks. Oh, and did I mention he is just 23-years-old!

2) I put Heath Miller ahead of Chris Cooley because he is a better all-around player. I love Cooley and if we are talking about just catching the ball he moves way up the list but he really isn't much of a blocker.

scottyboy
08-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Lovin' Osi at 4, could be a bit higher, but that's cuz I love him!
Also love Eli top 10!

I think O'Hara should be top 10 centers, and Pierce at MLB.
and no Fealges? :(

skinzzfan25
08-14-2008, 11:37 PM
I doubt we go safety (Mays) first round. Doughty had looked serviceable for the remainder of last season. If he keeps it up, why ruin the chemistry with Landry. Blatche, and Gibbs in the past, have been testing Shawn Springs at FS and SS.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=24549
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/21/AR2008042102758.html

He also got some reps at FS during the Colts HOF game and the Bills.

We're getting thin and old at linebacker and OL. Blades looks like a carbon copy of Fletcher, which is good news. But, Marcus Washington only has a few left in the tank as well. Rocky McIntosh usually plays great when he's healthy. Too bad he never is. Regardless if they move Springs they need somebody to take over pretty soon. Rogers was playing at a high level before his injury, but I'm not sure if he can be a legit #1.

OLB, OL, and CB before safety IMO.

thebow305
08-15-2008, 12:51 AM
I LOVE the new look of the site, especially the new Mock Draft!

The Phins pick is not bad either. :)

fenikz
08-15-2008, 01:14 AM
There must be a typo I don't see McGaha in the top 3

vidae
08-15-2008, 01:15 AM
I'm surprised Mario Williams was up there over Jared Allen, the NFL's reigning sack leader and a young guy himself. Sure, he's had off the field issues, but so have a lot of players, and some on your lists.

I do agree that Mario Williams is a very good DE, I just don't agree that he's better than Jared Allen.

Flyboy
08-15-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm glad Scott appreciates Mike Karney. One of the most underrated FBs & players in the league imo.

bitonti
08-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Scott, Im sorry but LSU Tyson Jackson is one of those guys who is highly touted but the year ends and not a top 20 pick... Ricky Jean Francois would go higher - by the way the Jets are going to be alot better than 6-10 or whatever gets them to pick 11th. check the schedule please. They added Favre, Faneca, Jenkins, Pace, Woody, Richardson, and have a ton of high quality young guys who are getting better like Revis, Rhodes, Harris, Mangold, Ferguson, Washington, Gholston, Keller, Lowery. They were going to be 8-8 w/o Farve, now who knows? But I do know they are going to pick lower than 11! Cmon buddy your Vikings are starting Tavares Jackson! :D

foozball
08-15-2008, 01:11 PM
hate the texans pick. not because i dont like moreno, but the texans had a chance to take a better prospect IMO in mendenhall last year. what makes you think theyll go with a RB this year?

i think theyll go with a DE or S and take a RB in the 2nd or 3rd

Cribbs>Hester
08-15-2008, 02:02 PM
1) I put Mario Williams in the top spot because he's a terrific all-around defensive end, he has great size at 6-7 and 290 lbs. and he's coming off a year where he racked up 14.0 sacks. Oh, and did I mention he is just 23-years-old!

2) I put Heath Miller ahead of Chris Cooley because he is a better all-around player. I love Cooley and if we are talking about just catching the ball he moves way up the list but he really isn't much of a blocker.

Sweet you're giving out explainations. Good because I want to know exactlly why you have a overweight, out of shape and lazy for 3 years running Jeremi Johnson over Lawrence Vickers??? He is an excellent run blocker who always finds someone to hit and have great athletic ability and receiving skills. Minus his failed attempts on 3rd and 1 two years ago because of horrible calls and play designs by our ridiculous coaching staff at the time he has been lights out in every aspect of the game. Do you have a legit reason, or was it just a brain fart? If it was a mental goof I suppose I can let it slid :) This is a division rival we're talking about here and I don't like their lazy not as good players getting overrated over our underrated hardworking guys. Cincinnati has plenty of players better than a lot of our guys, but Johnson better than Vickers is not one of them. Thank you.

Cribbs>Hester
08-15-2008, 02:07 PM
I don't know where you looked but you know nothing about Ricky Sapp. You probably saw that he use to have dreadlocks and just assume he is a thug and arrogant. What has he done that makes you think he is above the law?

Back to his skill set he is 260 and runs a 4.4 coming in to this year.

I've never known him having dreadlock, seen him with dreadlocks or would even care to make that assumption. Why would I care? Have you seen my screen name? Cribbs rocks the dreads, Stallworth rocks the dreads, one of my favorite players Marshawn Lynch has rocked the dreads, another in Marion Barber has rocked the dreads and Quention Groves another favorite has rocked the dreads.

Maybe it was someone else I looked into Greg Hardy? I don't know, but I know for sure one was Cunningham because he was just arrested not too long ago and I know there was something that I saw about Ricky Sapp that said no thanks. Oh and since when was he 260? I've watched him play and he looked 235 at best. I've also seen him listed as low as 225. Update me please? Maybe that was what scared me away from him I'll have to look into him again.

d34ng3l021
08-15-2008, 02:55 PM
The only Falcons in positional rankings:

8. Jason Elam K

6. Michael Koenen P

WMD
08-15-2008, 03:10 PM
The only Falcons in positional rankings:

8. Jason Elam K

6. Michael Koenen P

Oh poor you.. the Lions barely made this at all.. Ernie Sims as the #10 OLB. That's all we got.

draftguru151
08-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Not a Dolphin on there. :(

TitanHope
08-15-2008, 06:00 PM

A Lions fan should never poke fun at another team's history of drafting the same position multiple times. ;)

Besides, LenWhale messes the drafting fast RB's thing all up!

As for the Titans pick, it's good but I doubt it will happen. For the past two years the Titans have been slotted a WR as their pick in the Mock, and have passed on selecting them. No one should be surprised if the process repeats itself this year. Unlike years before, WR will not be the #1 need entering the offseason. We should be losing CB Nick Harper, and even though Cortland Finnegan has been groomed to take his place, there is no one behind them to take over Finny's spot. So a #2 CB is a large need, as well as DL. Albert Haynesworth's future in Tennessee is not guaranteed, and even if he stays, he's injury prone and is hard to replace when he's down. It also looks like '08 2nd RD pick Jason Jones's future is at UT and not at DE, so perhaps it'll be a bigger need if Kearse and the project pass-rushers don't pan out. Jeff Fisher is a defensively minded coach, and will favor DEF over OFF.

Nevertheless, I do like the Maclin pick if we go WR. My only uncertainty is his blocking ability. Besides that, he's what we need - a playmaking WR that can stretch the field. I still like Crabtree a lot, but I feel Maclin would open up the offense more than he could.

treyskins
08-16-2008, 05:54 AM
Wonder how many junior Defensive Ends declare-could be a bumper year for drafting them.
Not much on offer yet for the Q.B.'s-another poor draft for them?

Redskins fans, you need to look at the defensive line for the draft.
Someone to replace Daniels(run stuffer)or someone to replace Griffin.
Monty and Golston are solid but nothing special.Jason Taylor looks likely will be used in many positions, not just LeftDef.End.
RightDef.End Andre Carter will be thirty in 2009.
An alternative would be a cornerback or right tackle taken in round 1 but like many others dont see a Safety being taken(landry/rogers/doughty/horton/moore)-that is a very young looking secondary there.

Twister18
08-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Scott, the relaunch looks awesome!!

I like the Cards pick but may go with James Davis instead of Meredith.

49ersFan_vienna
08-16-2008, 11:52 AM
49ers will go after a QB real early if Smith does not make it this season (which it looks like as JTO seems to be the starter).
If so, the 49ers will take a QB Round1 .

iloxygenil
08-16-2008, 02:21 PM
I would be shocked and upset to see the Falcons go CB after this year. I think SS / NT are 2 positions we desperately need...CB seems to actually have depth for the first time, we need a vet, not another young guy out there, but Grimes Houston and Jackson so far have looked tough.

MidwayMonster31
08-16-2008, 03:34 PM
I was shocked that Atlanta didn't pick one defensive tackle last year. You could make the case that it was their biggest hole. That being said, there should be one available for them in the second round if there are a lot of juniors who declare.
If Oher is available, there is no reason to pass on him. You can never have too much O-Line help. I also don't think much of Sam Baker, I thought he was very overrated at USC.

GB12
08-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Green Bay could also use some depth at linebacker
You could have said that last season, but not this year. We have Chillar to backup both outside spots and Hodge in the middle. We're in good shape with LB depth. If anything we should try to trade Hodge because he'll never see time with Barnett in front of him and he can't play outside.

yourfavestoner
08-17-2008, 02:20 PM
I still want to know why Myron Rolle is in the first round going to ANYBODY, let alone going to the Jaguars.

Geo
08-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Wasn't he a super-touted prospect coming into FSU? How's he been, I honestly have no idea.

yourfavestoner
08-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Wasn't he a super-touted prospect coming into FSU? How's he been, I honestly have no idea.

He was highly, highly rated coming out of high school. At FSU, he's failed to live up to expectations, to say the least. But hey, that's what's been happening to a lot of their players the past few years, so he might not really hit his full potential until he gets to the NFL and gets some decent coaching.

In two years, he's recorded one interception. He's one of those linebacker/safety 'tweeners (a very poor man's Thomas Davis, if you will). However, he looks far too slow to be a safety, and he's too small and, while he is physical, I don't think he's physical enough to make it as a linebacker in the NFL. At this point, I wouldn't touch him before the third round. The thing that he does have going for him, though, is that he's extremely intelligent. But again, that might hurt his draft stock too, as teams will be unsure as to whether his commitment is to football or to getting his medical career established.

Geo
08-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Interesting, thanks for the great input, yfs. Both Miami and Florida State haven't drawn the interest and TV time that they did a few years ago. On the basis of the medical career, I would guess that Rolle puts that on hold and fulfills his football career first, especially with a probably of being a first round pick if things go well for him. However the draw of studying at Oxford, as Scott noted, adds a different and more pressing temptation for him.

TACKLE
08-17-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm surprised that Selvie fell so far. If his production is even close to what it was last year than he should be a Top 10-15 lock. He is extremely productive but has the athletisism and natural pass rush ability to go along with it.

mancl
08-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Mock drafts are just for fun , especially when they are done before the college or pro seasons even start.

But I have a hard time thinking the Packers would take a situational player with the #1 pick. Their most pressing need in my opinion would be Left offensive tackle as they have no one to take Clifton's place.
Definetly could use another DT and corner.

I know nothing about this year,s prospects but I would think they could try to get better value at these positions than with a part time player.

I agree with a previous poster that LB depth is pretty good this year.

etk
08-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Looks VERY good Scott. The re-design and the mock. Much props and congratulations. Only problem I have is Tebow in the top 20. Bucs pick rulez! I'm very excited for this WR class, so you can't go wrong in my books if you keep giving us one of those underclassmen WRs in the 1st.

gdamac
08-18-2008, 10:48 AM
I am hoping that Jay Richardson steps up, but if not the Raiders will need a DE, but we will need WR and OT as well.

soybean
08-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Honestly speaking, I am not a fan of Fili Moala to the Colts in the 1st round or just in general to them. Southern Cal, like Oklahoma and Georgia among others imo, produces a handful of really good players but are by and large bust factories. Or at least produce overrated prospects.

And I want nothing to do with Moala in particular. Not at all.

All that said, I doubt he's a good fit for the defense or that the scouting department will consider him as such.

eh, that may be true for offense but we/they still produce quality defensive guys.

P-L
08-18-2008, 03:38 PM
eh, that may be true for offense but we/they still produce quality defensive guys.
Well, they don't have a good track record of producing DT's. Ellis is still an unknown, but Shaun Cody, Mike Patterson, and Manny Wright were all really hyped in college and have turned out to be busts.

Geo
08-18-2008, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't call Patterson a bust at all, personally. Not a superstar, sure, but he's a good player. The Eagles under Reid have made much worse first round picks than him.

BrabbitMcRabbit
08-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Nice work. A couple things jumped out at me:

1. Michael Crabtree at 17. No way he goes this low if he declares. He's a surefire top 5 pick. No, he isn't blazing fast, but neither was Braylon Edwards or Larry Fitzgerald. Crabtree has all the tools to be an exceptional WR1 in the NFL. I can't fathom him falling this far.

2. James Davis in the first round. James Davis is a nice player, but he doesn't really have that special something to get picked this high. I think a lot of the underclassmen backs will pass him and when the dust settles, he'll be lucky to be a late 2nd round pick. 3rd round would be my guess.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-18-2008, 08:54 PM
1. Michael Crabtree at 17. No way he goes this low if he declares. He's a surefire top 5 pick. No, he isn't blazing fast, but neither was Braylon Edwards or Larry Fitzgerald. Crabtree has all the tools to be an exceptional WR1 in the NFL. I can't fathom him falling this far.

I like Michael Crabtree, but people need to take a step back on him. His production is nuts, but he's not comparable to the recent wide receivers we've seen go top 5. The NFL is wide receiver starved, for the most part, and that may spin him up a little, but even when compared to slower guys like Larry Fitzgerald and Braylon Edwards, he falls short. Edwards and Fitzgerald were flat out amazing at taking the ball out of the air anywhere on the field. Crabtree has shown great ability in open space and good hands paired with impressive body control, but I don't think he's the kind of explosive receiver who goes top 5.

For right now I think he's a very good receiver in a very conducive system. But he's not an elite one.

BrabbitMcRabbit
08-18-2008, 10:59 PM
I like Michael Crabtree, but people need to take a step back on him. His production is nuts, but he's not comparable to the recent wide receivers we've seen go top 5. The NFL is wide receiver starved, for the most part, and that may spin him up a little, but even when compared to slower guys like Larry Fitzgerald and Braylon Edwards, he falls short. Edwards and Fitzgerald were flat out amazing at taking the ball out of the air anywhere on the field. Crabtree has shown great ability in open space and good hands paired with impressive body control, but I don't think he's the kind of explosive receiver who goes top 5.

For right now I think he's a very good receiver in a very conducive system. But he's not an elite one.

I don't see what he's missing that those guys had. Maybe his ball tracking and jump ball skills aren't quite on par with Fitzgerald, but he has better YAC skills. He's definitely as impressive in college as Edwards was (nevermind the fact that Edwards didn't peak until his final season). I think he's better than recent top 10 picks like Mike Williams, Reggie Williams, Troy Williamson, and David Terrell at this stage of their careers. Maybe he won't quite crack the top 5, but there's no way he falls out of the top 8 picks IMO. I'm surprised he isn't getting more love.

An athletic 6'3" WR with monster stats is not going to slip. Heyward-Bey is a nice prospect in his own right and his deep speed could make him a very early pick, but there's no way he'll be the WR1 in this draft unless he explodes this season. I don't see any of these receivers topping Crabtree next April.

Geo
08-18-2008, 11:02 PM
Heyward-Bey has no quarterback, but how high is a guy going to go if he doesn't produce nonetheless? No matter how well they test at the Combine, and especially after the 49ers got burned with Vernon Davis.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-19-2008, 01:30 AM
I'm not sure the Niners got "burned", but yeah, Heyward-Bey is fighting an uphill battle. He's yet to show me a lot, and with his current situation it doesn't figure that he'll get the chance to. If he declares, the offseason process will be huge for him.

As for Crabtree, it remains that he is given a lot of field to work with in that offense. I'm not indicating he'll slip, not with the dearth of quality wideouts that figure to be available, but there isn't a whole lot out there to suggest that he's solidly in the top 10 picture yet. Fitzgerald and Edwards were making plays despite ridiculous coverages from opposing defenses and had monster years in fairly standard offenses. Crabtree doesn't get covered like them because defenses can't afford to against TT's spread attack, and the number of times we get to see Crabtree work against a quality corner repeatedly is almost nil.

I like the kid. He has great ability. But there are guys you know are top 5 talents heading into their respective seasons. Crabtree isn't one of those guys for me.

sweetness34
08-20-2008, 12:30 AM
Vontae is such a stud. First 1st rounder for us in a long time which is pretty cool.

Scotty D
08-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Vontae is such a stud. First 1st rounder for us in a long time which is pretty cool.

Mendenhall? lolz

rockio42
08-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Mendenhall? lolz

I was about to say

villagewarrior
08-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Chiefs with the first pick, I could see it, especially if the QB play doesn't improve. Would love to have Maualuga though.

sweetness34
08-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Mendenhall? lolz

Ok 1st defender chosen in the first round in a long time. ;)

Can't believe I forgot about Shard lol.

BaLLiN
08-20-2008, 08:38 PM
dont know much about aaron kurry, but wouldnt be upset with the pick although moala would probably be better for the giants

SenorGato
08-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Crabtree has shown great ability in open space and good hands paired with impressive body control, but I don't think he's the kind of explosive receiver who goes top 5.

Iunno...he's as explosive as both Edwards and Fitzgerald were/are...he's better than Fitz is in open space...he's got elite size...sick hands...

Dude is being highly underrated right now IMO. He's got sick NFL potential. First name that came to mind was Andre Johnson.

Geo
08-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Personally I wouldn't put Crabtree ahead of any of those three, they proved themselves better and I liked their speed more. Still, Crabtree comes soon after which is still very good, obviously.

regoob2
08-23-2008, 12:05 AM
Iunno...he's as explosive as both Edwards and Fitzgerald were/are...he's better than Fitz is in open space...he's got elite size...sick hands...

Dude is being highly underrated right now IMO. He's got sick NFL potential. First name that came to mind was Andre Johnson.
Him and Andre have nothing in common.

Sniper
08-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Well, they don't have a good track record of producing DT's. Ellis is still an unknown, but Shaun Cody, Mike Patterson, and Manny Wright were all really hyped in college and have turned out to be busts.

Patterson is far from a bust. He's not a Pro Bowler, but he's been very very good for us. I think he led all DTs in tackles last year. Wright wasn't that hyped, and he only went in the 5th round of the supplemental draft.