PDA

View Full Version : Scott's first batch of 2009 player rankings

Geo
08-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Good to see Cullen Harper tops among senior quarter backs, I agree. Also a little leery of Painter, so I don't have any problem with Cantwell getting in at #2 with the assumption of a very good season ahead of him.

Surprised to see Brandon Ore as the #4 RB though. Talent-wise, he is, but the guy was kicked off of VA Tech at least two if not three times. Mind you, we're talking about a program under Frank Beamer that deals with as many players of bad character than anyone else, if not moreso. And Ore got kicked out twice? Yikes.

Scott must really like Louis Murphy to have him as the #1 senior WR heading into the season. Maybe he gets more touches with the injury to Ingram. Still, I would have given the top spot to Brian Robiskie, he had a great year last season and is a very good prospect imo playing at a high level in the Big Ten.

Also, Pat White wouldn't be the fourth-ranked anything for me. That's a project I would just as well avoid, probably.

Those catch my eye on offense.

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Bomar ahead of Carpenter.Thats interesting.

Brent
08-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Where is Justin Brantly?

SeanTaylorRIP
08-13-2008, 07:49 PM
I would have Branden Ore as a 5th rounder at best. Obviously character is his biggest concern getting kicked off the team and playing at West Liberty State College. But IMO I know he was coming off injury but to me he wasn't even near a top 25 college RB last year. No explosion, little power, he just looked flat out bad. Kenny Lewis Jr., was far better than him.

draftguru151
08-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Scott must really like Louis Murphy to have him as the #1 senior WR heading into the season. Maybe he gets more touches with the injury to Ingram. Still, I would have given the top spot to Brian Robiskie, he had a great year last season and is a very good prospect imo playing at a high level in the Big Ten.

I think Murphy being that high is more of how awful the senior WRs are and his rumored speed (pretty sure he's the fastest WR on the team). Robiskie is a solid guy but Murphy has the higher upside at this point.

I don't really get the Jamon Meredith love, it's been on okay guy but never a guy I've been impressed with. Really don't like Andrew Gardner being that low either, that's probably my biggest disagreement with any of the rankings. Really great stuff on a whole though.

scottyboy
08-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Teel will be one at some point, mark my words!

AND TIQUAN AT 10!!!!! WOO HOO

nice to see Brock getting some love just getting ranked

and Jamaal Westerman top 10!!!!!

Jason McCourty up there too!

And Courtney Greene so close to having his pic up there, being 4...

only thing is that I'd have Britt as a top WR underclassman...

princefielder28
08-13-2008, 09:09 PM
I'd like to see Jaison Williams and Jarett Dillard get more love

BeerBaron
08-13-2008, 09:25 PM
a little surprised to see defenders dominate the early portion of the senior rankings. 9/15 on defense including the top 2. should be a good year for any teams who struggled defensively to help themselves out

Jonny
08-13-2008, 10:18 PM
I very much agree with Monroe at #4 at least. In fact, he's #1 on my board. I've been reading a lot of Louis Murphy at WR hype too.

As far as Rutgers players go:

Teel should be higher. It wasn't possible to evaluate him properly last year with his thumb injury, but he's going to have a big year. And unlike most of the QBs listed, he's playing in a pro-style system already, his numbers aren't being inflated by the spread.

Eh, with Tiquan Underwood, I can take it or leave it. Britt is the true star of RU's offense and will be a first rounder if/when he declares.

Don't really think Westerman is anything special either. Tverdov plays out of position at DT in our defense, but he might be the better player. Another guy you'll want to look into is Kevin Malast at LB.

Staubach12
08-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Pat White the #4 WR? Wow...

Geo
08-13-2008, 10:53 PM
I'm very intrigued by this Mike Thomas fellow, wide receiver at Arizona. Not a giant at 5-8, but not frail at 195 lbs. in weight. From what I've quickly read abut him, he led the Pac-10 in receptions and touchdowns last year, and had over 1K receiving yards and over 1800 all-purpose yards when including his rushing and returning. Also productive as a freshman and sophomore.

I know we've got a few really good Arizona State Sun Devils fans here, not sure about the rival Wildcats. If anyone would care to chime in on him, please do. Very intrigued with him.

Xiomera
08-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Call me a homer, but I think CB Morgan Trent is too low.

DiG
08-13-2008, 11:11 PM
nice to see aaron curry get some love. hes one guy id love to see in a skins jersey.

im glad my team doesnt need a qb because they really look awful to me this year.

neko4
08-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Great job with the site changes Scott and thanks for answearing my question.

Anyway,
Who the heck is this QB from Central Arkansas and what makes him so good?

Scott Wright
08-14-2008, 02:19 AM
Just because Brandon Ore is the #4 ranked running back that doesn't necessarily mean I think he is going to be chosen early. This is just a real weak crop of senior running backs.

I have Ore as a 4th or 5th round possibility right now.

bearsfan_51
08-14-2008, 02:50 AM
Great job with the site changes Scott and thanks for answearing my question.

Anyway,
Who the heck is this QB from Central Arkansas and what makes him so good?
He's been ranked as a 2nd or 3rd round guy most places you go, so it's not a left field projection.

djp
08-14-2008, 02:54 AM
Just because Brandon Ore is the #4 ranked running back that doesn't necessarily mean I think he is going to be chosen early. This is just a real weak crop of senior running backs.

I have Ore as a 4th or 5th round possibility right now.

That is an absolute ceiling for me for Ore. He's slow and has major character issues. Good downhill runner, but can he withstand an NFL beating? Doubtful to me.

Scott Wright
08-14-2008, 03:44 AM
That is an absolute ceiling for me for Ore. He's slow and has major character issues. Good downhill runner, but can he withstand an NFL beating? Doubtful to me.

I've got Ore as a 4.50 guy, which isn't blazing but not necessarily slow either.

With that said I tend to agree that the 3rd or 4th round probably is an absolute ceiling for Ore and he could very easily go undrafted too considering his character concerns.

Michigan
08-14-2008, 07:44 AM
w00t Sean Griffen #1 LS!

Scott, you have a typo with Morgan Trent's 40 time. It says 4.50 when I'm sure you meant to say 4.05

neko4
08-14-2008, 08:14 AM
He's been ranked as a 2nd or 3rd round guy most places you go, so it's not a left field projection.
I've never heard of him, but I havent been paying much attention to this year's draft prospects and I dont really get to watch Cen. Arkansas

Brent
08-14-2008, 09:21 AM
I dont really get to watch Cen. Arkansas
I am sure no one here has.

P-L
08-14-2008, 09:27 AM
With all due respect Scott, I think Morgan Trent could run a sub-4.50 40 backwards.

Cigaro
08-14-2008, 09:37 AM
I don't really get the Jamon Meredith love, it's been on okay guy but never a guy I've been impressed with.

Yeah, as a South Carolina fan, I'm going to have to agree. Is Jamon Meredith our best offensive lineman? Yes. Is Jamon Meredith first round talent? No. He's been pretty good at left tackle the past two years, but does have a little problem with speed rushers. And after this year, his hold on our best lineman may not stay. Because he has to sit out the first two games to earn his medical redshirt he received a few years back, he has lost his left tackle to either a JUCO transfer who didn't play football last year(Jarriel King), or a redshirt freshman(Quintin Richardson). When he returns for the Georgia game he will likely line up at left guard.

Jamon Meredith is an NFL talent, but rather round two or three than round one.

Sniper
08-14-2008, 09:41 AM
With all due respect Scott, I think Morgan Trent could run a sub-4.50 40 backwards.

With a piano on his back

Sniper
08-14-2008, 09:42 AM
Rey Maualuga over James Laurinaitis is epic awesomeness.

However, Brian Hoyer as the #7 QB is an epic fail.

BeerBaron
08-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Scott, you have a typo with Morgan Trent's 40 time. It says 4.50 when I'm sure you meant to say 4.05

With a piano on his back

I think I can see where this is headed....

"Zomgz! Morgan Trentzzzzzzzzzzz ftw!!"

Brent
08-14-2008, 10:28 AM

No, because there are too many Big 10 people here. The non-Michigan ones will refuse to dignify that guy.

BeerBaron
08-14-2008, 10:49 AM
No, because there are too many Big 10 people here. The non-Michigan ones will refuse to dignify that guy.

Well I'm a Penn State fan and I still think it would be hilarious....

I think everybody is waiting for who will take over as the board god, lol

bearsfan_51
08-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Jordy was special because there were a pretty sizeable group of conspiracy theorists that felt that Nelson was being discriminated against because he was white. I'm not sure you'll find that again.

Sniper
08-14-2008, 11:10 AM

No, he's not that good. But he is ridiculously fast.

Javzz
08-14-2008, 04:53 PM

Demetrius Byrd is another one.

ALD
08-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Jordy was special because there were a pretty sizeable group of conspiracy theorists that felt that Nelson was being discriminated against because he was white. I'm not sure you'll find that again.

Just because there are conspiracy theorists doesn't mean it's not true...

ironman4579
08-14-2008, 07:21 PM

Not really. Most Michigan fans will acknowledge that Morgan Trent is nothing special. In fact most of us probably wanted to strangle him on many occasions. That said, the guy actually is pretty fast.

kwilk103
08-14-2008, 09:34 PM
scott, what about wvu p/k pat mcafee?

also at cb watch out for wvu sr cb ellis lankster; easily our best cb last year, but was in rrods doghouse; he has looked great this spring and fall, shutting down whatever wr he is covering; he was a juco all-american pr/kr and will be the pr this year

Don Vito
08-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Scott-

Boston College OLB Kevin Akins (you have ranked as the #21 OLB) was moved to cornerback by the BC staff last week. This move came after Razzie Smith was moved to RB due to lack of depth at the position. We have a lot of depth at LB and Akins is a great athlete so he got moved to corner and is now starting at 6-2 224 pounds.

fischbowl
08-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Definitely the most complete and thorough 1st Set rankings ever Scott.

Nice to see Brian Toal back and I approve of the Kickers and Punters

Bruce
08-16-2008, 11:35 AM
D. Byrd runs a 4.3 Just sayin.

Scott Wright
08-17-2008, 04:27 AM
D. Byrd runs a 4.3 Just sayin.

They all run a 4.3 this time of year... :)

Addict
08-17-2008, 08:14 AM
They all run a 4.3 this time of year... :)

actually I hear there's about five guys in this draft who will break Deion's combine 40 record.

StaticGator
08-17-2008, 01:10 PM
No love for Florida OG Jim Tartt? There's a reason Tebow always runs left.

jballa838
08-17-2008, 02:36 PM
No love for Florida OG Jim Tartt? There's a reason Tebow always runs left.
He is left handed?

etk
08-18-2008, 12:30 AM
There's been enough Ore bashing, so I won't go there.

I think James Laurinaitis is very overrated. He's an awesome athlete but he doesn't have the lower body strength to play inside in the NFL imo. He will struggle with blockers and power backs. Obviously he has many strengths but that one weakness is a big one for me. I think he would look best in a Julian Peterson role, but I look at JL as a mid-late 1st guy. Maualaga definitely deserves top 3 though. He's a load and he's explosive.

I miss Jordy......so much.

rockio42
08-18-2008, 10:51 AM
I miss Jordy......so much.

We all do.

Addict
08-18-2008, 10:57 AM
He is left handed?

no, his thang hangs left. Everyone knows men run after their *****.