PDA

View Full Version : John Lynch to sign with the Patriots??

Santos-Stanton47
08-13-2008, 08:09 PM
"Patriots hosting John Lynch
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff August 13, 2008
The Patriots are hosting free-agent safety John Lynch on a visit at Gillette Stadium today.

The 36-year-old Lynch, a nine-time Pro Bowler and one of the grittier, more durable safeties to play in the NFL, was released by the Broncos on Aug. 1.

This isn’t the first time the Patriots have expressed an interest in Lynch.

When Lynch was a free agent in 2004, the Patriots visited with him before he signed with the Broncos.

The potential addition of Lynch could lessen the blow of losing Tank Williams to a season-ending knee injury. "

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/08/reiss_on_lynch.html

this move is certainly intruiging, although nothing solid, it could provide with the oldest and of course scariest potential for cross routes from defending WRs. With Sanders, harrison, and Tank Williams (Out-Season-LB) all plagued with injuries.

it could help switch out S Meriweather to CB or just create good packages to help stop the new spread offense trend that is trickling into the NFL with big TE's at Slots, and more shotgun action than ever before....of course the patriots were already a step ahead in a new trend to develop....putting big hard hitting safetys like Tank Williams in at LB to help prevent teams from creating too many mismatches in the prevalent spread offense....

What do ya think?
Risky move? Great move for the young DBs with even more leadership or is Lynch simply washed up??

Addict
08-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Harrisson and Lynch in the same backfield. Auch.

eaglesfan_45
08-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Harrisson and Lynch in the same backfield. Auch.

Auch? no, thats a big senior discount!

CC.SD
08-13-2008, 08:18 PM
if I were the Pats, I'd bring Seau back over bringing in John Lynch. He was still making plays for them.

themaninblack
08-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Lynch hasn't been anything near what he once was in the last few years. The name's big and the need is there but its not a signing I would be too excited about. I guess if they have the money why the hell not.

BlindSite
08-13-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm more curious as to why Merriweather isn't starting or rather, hasn't locked down the job.

Dam8610
08-13-2008, 10:21 PM
I don't think he was brought in to play safety. I think they're bringing him in to play the role they were going to have Tank Williams play, which is a bit of a rover role against 3 WR sets.

Geo
08-13-2008, 10:59 PM
I would love for the Patriots to use one of their 53-man roster spots on John Lynch. Come on Belichick, you know you want another veteran so bad, screw these punk kids who don't know anything.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-14-2008, 08:33 AM
i hope they sign him. Now that Pennington and his floppy arm aren't in town, we'd be able to exploit his weak deep coverage (hopefully).

I love Lynch, but he's nothing even close to the player that was a 'force' throughout a game. He's still an intimidator across the middle and in the run game, but his coverage is in the area of Roy Williams.

ALD
08-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Belicheck's too smart to use Lynch at safety often. This signing would be to provide further mentoring in the secondary and probably to paly the Tank Williams role.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Auch? no, thats a big senior discount!

LOL! Yup! Did Seau retire or he still there?

Matthew Jones
08-14-2008, 11:57 AM
As Dave said, he'd probably be playing the Rover role that Tank Williams was supposed to be playing, as a safety/linebacker hybrid. That works for me. I'd be very happy with the signing.

tylerb929
08-14-2008, 05:49 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80a001e4&template=with-video&confirm=true

They officialy signed him, can't say it really helps them much at his age.

Bigburt63
08-14-2008, 05:56 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80a001e4&template=with-video&confirm=true

They officialy signed him, can't say it really helps them much at his age.

he takes the exact role of tank williams, S/LB tweener on passing downs type of thing. hes not going to start at safety, esp not after joining the team this late in camp. so i cant really see how it hurts at all

Santos-Stanton47
08-14-2008, 07:12 PM
As Dave said, he'd probably be playing the Rover role that Tank Williams was supposed to be playing, as a safety/linebacker hybrid. That works for me. I'd be very happy with the signing.

HAHA wow, not just you but everyone seems to overlook how i kinda lead on to his role against the spread, and helping ease the injury of Tank.. but props to everyone on the comments and response....
BB will find a spot for him and he'll be a stud

bored of education
08-15-2008, 09:16 AM
I like the signing because he makes the Pats pass defense older and weaker than it already is. Pat Williams would own him!

thebow305
08-15-2008, 09:25 AM
He will be a VERY good player for them. Damn I hate NE.

Addict
08-15-2008, 09:25 AM
maybe they'll use him a as a cover linebacker or something?

bored of education
08-15-2008, 10:02 AM
... um. ok.

he has no business covering anyone. if they play him entirely in run support on running downs, he'll be fine. if they try to play him like shanahan wanted to (re: in coverage), he'll get beat more than roy williams.

People think an overaged player who is defiantly washed up and lacks any physical skills besides hitting will go to NE and thrive. Yet it will be the biggest mistake of his career and he should retire.

bored of education
08-15-2008, 11:09 AM
I could beat him on a fly route.

CC.SD
08-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Scott could beat him on a fly route...twice.

jetsfan0099
08-17-2008, 07:02 PM
John Lynch is washed up. It was stupid that he made the probowl last year...

neko4
08-17-2008, 07:16 PM
I think he's there for the same reasons Seau and other aging vets went there. To win a super bowl. He'll be a backup and play ok, but he is a big liability in coverage.