18. Houston Texans
17. Buffalo Bills
16. Tennessee Titans
15. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
14. Washington Redskins
13. Seattle Seahawks
12. Philadelphia Eagles
11. Green Bay Packers

Here we are at our top 10 as Green Bay leaves the poll.

eaglesalltheway
08-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Crap, I meant to click Vikes, could someone change it for me?

eaglesfan_45
08-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Honestly you could put the Giants, Browns and Saints in any order 7-10 and I wouldn't be suprised.

Michigan
08-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Wow. We really think the Saints are a top 10 team?

eaglesfan_45
08-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Wow. We really think the Saints are a top 10 team?

why not?

They have a top QB, they have a stable of RBs, They are deep at WR and have a Premier NFL WR in Marques Colston, They aquired Jeremy Shockey, They have a good o-line anchored by a good young LT in Jamaal Brown.

They have a premier DE situation in the NFL, with Charles Grant and Will Smith. They are set at DT with Sedrick Ellis. They traded for Jonathan Vilma, who is an ideal fit in a 4-3. Scott Fujita is a good SLB. They are 4-5 deep at CB and all of them have the potential to be good. They have 2 young safeties who are servicable starters who could develop into more.

thule
08-14-2008, 04:36 PM
4-5 deep at CB....hahaha they start Jason David..."human toast"

But I agree they are a top 10 team.

eaglesfan_45
08-14-2008, 04:38 PM
4-5 deep at CB....hahaha they start Jason David..."human toast"

But I agree they are a top 10 team.

I know I was pushing it when I said 4-5 deep b/c of Jason David, but you never know he could improve, seeing as this year he will know the system better after playing in a cover-2 his whole career in Indy.

BeerBaron
08-14-2008, 04:38 PM
I voted the Saints here but yeah, I do think they are a top 10 team. Should have a sickening offense with all of the targets for Brees and then Bush can go back to his role as a slasher as long as McCallister (or someone) is able to run the ball up the middle.

The defense still doesn't seem that great though...they're deep at CB and have some good DE's but they might need this year to gel and have guys like Vilma prove they're healthy.

So 10 is a good spot for them and I voted them there.

djp
08-14-2008, 05:12 PM
It's the Saints...

Bush isn't proven at all, Deuce still coming off injury...

They are paper thin outside of McKenzie (who is aging) at CB and I really question their run defense.

Robert Meachem and Ellis are going to have to make large impacts if that team is going to be in the top 10 in the NFL.

Not to mention I think the Panthers will be improved and the Bucs are still solid.

BeerBaron
08-14-2008, 05:18 PM
It's the Saints...

Bush isn't proven at all, Deuce still coming off injury...

They are paper thin outside of McKenzie (who is aging) at CB and I really question their run defense.

Robert Meachem and Ellis are going to have to make large impacts if that team is going to be in the top 10 in the NFL.

Not to mention I think the Panthers will be improved and the Bucs are still solid.

ok well, Bush is proven imo. He's proven that hes not an every down, between the tackles back in the NFL. However, he still has a ton of talent and when someone else is pounding the rock up the middle, Bush can do what he does best catching passes and "slashing" the D.

And I don't think they're exactly "thin" at CB. Not very top heavy, but they've brought in some middle of the pack types to add to what they had in G ay and the rookie Porter. I actually think they're a little deep there but with average at best players....better than having David start though.

I voted Saints too but your reasoning seemed very off to me...

keylime_5
08-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Minnesota. They should be long gone by now. Tough schedule, bad QB, okay WRs, not as good of a pass D as they should be, Peterson gets hurt again and they'll go in a slump.

EvilMonkey
08-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Minnesota. They should be long gone by now. Tough schedule, bad QB, okay WRs, not as good of a pass D as they should be.

agree, couldnt believe how long GB lasted with 3 QBs on the roster with 0 NFL starts, now the Vikes and T-Jack have to go. Could they be better? Absolutely but this is a preseason poll and until T-Jack shows something, they shouldn't be this high. Not a huge fan of the Saints and think they should be #9 in this poll but I give them the edge over the Vikes mainly because of Brees and Colston.

diabsoule
08-14-2008, 06:07 PM
I voted for Minnesota as well for the same reason I voted for them last time.

brat316
08-14-2008, 06:33 PM
I really don't see the Steelers doing that well since that O-line is a mess, the D will probably have to carry the team, thats if they stay away from the injury bug on defense.

scottyboy
08-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Honestly, the Giants have 7 votes? really? my lord....I mean come on...

And the Saints may be very talented, but let's not forget chemistry and stuff. the best teams on paper aren't always the best, and vice versa

BeerBaron
08-14-2008, 07:36 PM
agree, couldnt believe how long GB lasted with 3 QBs on the roster with 0 NFL starts, now the Vikes and T-Jack have to go. Could they be better? Absolutely but this is a preseason poll and until T-Jack shows something, they shouldn't be this high. Not a huge fan of the Saints and think they should be #9 in this poll but I give them the edge over the Vikes mainly because of Brees and Colston.

I'll take the Vikings at just about every position but QB and the pass catchers over the Saints. I think people here severely underrate the Vikings D. It's very solid all over and their lack of pass D from last season was helped greatly this season by bringing in Jared Allen to get some pass rush.

Rob S
08-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Vikes for me

diabsoule
08-14-2008, 08:11 PM
I really don't see the Steelers doing that well since that O-line is a mess, the D will probably have to carry the team, thats if they stay away from the injury bug on defense.

Yeah, if the Vikes win this one I'm voting Steelers next. I think the Steelers are solid to amazing at every position except offensive line, and that's going to hurt them a lot this year.

eaglesfan_45
08-14-2008, 08:17 PM
If the Vikings wouldn't have gotten Jared Allen I think they would have been off the board already.

ScottyBoy, the Giants aren't as good as you think. I doubt they make the playoffs. They took a step backwards this offseason and Eli Manning is mediocre and alot of people a relying on him to develop this season and I think the Giatns season is hinging on that and I don't see him developing.

I agree with the Steelers notion bhaarat.

Rob S
08-14-2008, 08:20 PM
If the Vikings wouldn't have gotten Jared Allen I think they would have been off the board already.

ScottyBoy, the Giants aren't as good as you think. I doubt they make the playoffs. They took a step backwards this offseason and Eli Manning is mediocre and alot of people a relying on him to develop this season and I think the Giatns season is hinging on that and I don't see him developing.

Yeah Giants go very soon for me. I think playoffs is fairly unlikely for them too. I will probably go Saints next followed by the G men.

scottyboy
08-14-2008, 08:25 PM

No, the Giants aren't as bad as everyone thinks.

We hardly took " a step backwards" this season, but we did when we lost Tiki last year right?

and did our season rely on Eli last year? hmmmm and if it did and he's so mediocre, I guess we didn't win the Super Bowl did we...

scottyboy
08-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah Giants go very soon for me. I think playoffs is fairly unlikely for them too. I will probably go Saints next followed by the G men.

Can I get an explaination why? Why you'd put us worse than teams like the Steelers, Browns and Vikings? It just doesn't make sense, but it's ok, because we thrive under hate and being the underdogs, so it's all good really

08-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Brownies for moi . Yes, the Saints are a top 10 team.

Rob S
08-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Can I get an explaination why? Why you'd put us worse than teams like the Steelers, Browns and Vikings? It just doesn't make sense, but it's ok, because we thrive under hate and being the underdogs, so it's all good really

I said u are better than the Vikes, Saints, and actually now that I think of it probably the Browns. Honestly, I think u got kind of lucky in the playoffs last year. The Cowboys outplayed u. I dont think Eli is an elite QB, I dont see him taking that step. I think Brandon Jacobs is injury prone. I think Plax is injury prone. I think ur DL will falter without Strahan who was an absolute dominant force last year, especially against the run. I think the Loss of Kawika Mitchell will be underrated. I think if u wind up starting Kenny Phillips u could become vulnerable due to stupid rookie mistakes at the back (not to say he wont be a good player in the long run, but all rookies make mistakes). Thats just the way I see it.

scottyboy
08-14-2008, 08:48 PM
I said u are better than the Vikes, Saints, and actually now that I think of it probably the Browns. Honestly, I think u got kind of lucky in the playoffs last year. The Cowboys outplayed u. I dont think Eli is an elite QB, I dont see him taking that step. I think Brandon Jacobs is injury prone. I think Plax is injury prone. I think ur DL will falter without Strahan who was an absolute dominant force last year, especially against the run. I think the Loss of Kawika Mitchell will be underrated. I think if u wind up starting Kenny Phillips u could become vulnerable due to stupid rookie mistakes at the back (not to say he wont be a good player in the long run, but all rookies make mistakes). Thats just the way I see it.

Eh, being a Bills fan I see how you'd over-rated Mitchell. He wasn't all that great, and Wilkinson is a much better fit for our D and is more talented. I wouldn't call Plax "injury prone" he just put off surgery and shiznat so he could play all year. Jacobs is, but we're got Bradshaw, Ward, and perhaps Droughns/Ware. We'll be fine even if Jacobs goes down(he did last year).

Phillips is the most talented safety on our roster. Sure he'll make rookie mistakes, but starting a rookie in the postseason didn't hurt us last year with Ross...

And the Cowboys DIDN'T outplay us. We should've won by more honestly, if Corey Webster could catch a damn ball. If they truely outplayed us, they would've won.

Strahan gone will KILL us, but he won't be the sole reason we wouldn't make the playoffs. Tuck will be fine. Am I saying we'll repeat? no. But this whol Giants not making the playoffs is pretty crazy really.

And it's obvious we didn't need Eli to be elite last year, but even still, he's got a million doubters to prove wrong, no shockey bitching at him, a boatload of confidence, and the G-Men fans behind him, instead of against him. He also starts off against 2 pretty terrible secondaries inCincy and the Rams. Washington's is ok, but nothing dominant IMO. If we can beat Washington, Eli should have good games against STL and Cincy heading into the bye, and his confidence would just roll...

yodabear
08-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Browns and Saints are being horribly overrated......

Smooth Criminal
08-14-2008, 09:39 PM
I went with Minnesota. The great run defense and offense will only take them so far.

Cribbs>Hester
08-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Browns and Saints are being horribly overrated......

My Cleveland Browns are hugetime overrated, but I think the Saints are going to make a big push this year. They have a lot of talent and their team is way better than the coaching errors of Sean Payton lead people to believe. Payton is now in his third year as a head coach now and I believe he is a smart enough coach to have learned from past mistakes. Watch out NFC because New Orleans is coming for you...

Yes, my Browns should have never lasted this long, but neither should the Steelers so I'm going to vote for them again.

Bucs147
08-14-2008, 10:36 PM
And I don't think they're exactly "thin" at CB. Not very top heavy, but they've brought in some middle of the pack types to add to what they had in G ay and the rookie Porter. I actually think they're a little deep there but with average at best players....better than having David start though.

G_ay is an good nickelback on a zone defense... If the Saints want to use him as they used Jason David, they're going to have the same results. Both are similar player IMO. Porter is going to be a very good man-to-man CB, but he is a rookie and isn't probably ready to be a starter. He is a nickelback at most for this season. This leaves the Saints with a good #1 guy and a lot of average #3-4 CB. I do think that they are thin at CB.

If McAllister isn't ready to comeback as the feature back, their running game will be below average. However, they still have one of the best passing attack with Brees, an excellent pass-protection O-Line and a good WR squad.

In defense, their Pass rush is going to be excellent, but I'm not sure about their run defense. Vilma is a great MLB, but he is a question mark right now with his injuries. Plus, their DBs are below-average. I agree that Scott Fujita is a good SLB though.

Are they a top 10 team ? I don't know, it's pretty hard to rank the teams. Personnally, I think that Indiannapolis, New England, San Diego, Dallas, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Green Bay and New York Giants are better than the Saints. Then, I'd say New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Minnesota and Washington are pretty much even.

diabsoule
08-14-2008, 10:41 PM
My Cleveland Browns are hugetime overrated, but I think the Saints are going to make a big push this year. They have a lot of talent and their team is way better than the coaching errors of Sean Payton lead people to believe. Payton is now in his third year as a head coach now and I believe he is a smart enough coach to have learned from past mistakes. Watch out NFC because New Orleans is coming for you...

Yes, my Browns should have never lasted this long, but neither should the Steelers so I'm going to vote for them again.

I think this board isn't overrating the Saints but underrating them. Our offense has ranked 4th in total offense and 1st in total offense the last two years. All we did this year was trade for one the top tight ends in the game. We also have an another emerging 7th round WR in Adrian Arrington and a 1st Rd draft pick that's playing like it in Robert Meachem.

On defense, we went after a pass rusher and got one in Bobby McCray, traded for one of the best 4-3 linebackers in Jonathan Vilma, and drafted the 2nd best DT in Sedrick Ellis.

BeerBaron
08-14-2008, 10:44 PM
I think this board isn't overrating the Saints but underrating them. Our offense has ranked 4th in total offense and 1st in passing offense the last two years. All we did this year was trade for one the top tight ends in the game. We also have an another emerging 7th round WR in Adrian Arrington and a 1st Rd draft pick that's playing like it in Robert Meachem.

On defense, we went after a pass rusher and got one in Bobby McCray, traded for one of the best 4-3 linebackers in Jonathan Vilma, and drafted the 2nd best DT in Sedrick Ellis.

fixed that one part for you i think..... and yeah, your right on all accounts i feel.

and to Bucs:

"Are they a top 10 team ? I don't know, it's pretty hard to rank the teams. Personnally, I think that Indiannapolis, New England, San Diego, Dallas, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Green Bay and New York Giants are better than the Saints."

that would make them the 10th team as you listed 9, lol. And I'd still put them ahead of the Packers. They don't have a single NFL start between any of the QBs and they're rather inexperienced at RB too. Don't let Grant's new contract fool you because its a rare situation for an exclusive rights FA to do what he did. But he still was only decent for 9 or 10 Brett Favre supported games....

I'd have them after the Saints personally.

princefielder28
08-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Pittsburgh, compared to all the remaining teams, has the most question marks in my opinion

bearsfan_51
08-14-2008, 11:00 PM
The Saints won 7 games, they gave up 33 points to Kyle Orton and the Bears, is Vilma and Ellis really going to change all of that?

Strongside
08-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Pittsburgh, compared to all the remaining teams, has the most question marks in my opinion

Question #1. Can our O-line hold up?

Question #2. ???

bearsfan_51
08-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Question #1. Can our O-line hold up?

Question #2. ???
I don't watch Pittsburgh a whole lot, but the secondary doesn't strike me as a strong point, and the defense is getting a little long in the tooth.

diabsoule
08-14-2008, 11:22 PM
The Saints won 7 games, they gave up 33 points to Kyle Orton and the Bears, is Vilma and Ellis really going to change all of that?

Kyle Orton and the offense scored 26. Devin Hester scored 7 on a punt return and yes, even though you guys would have still won (by one) if Hester would not have had that punt return, the fabulous Neckbeard did not march the offense downfield for all 33 points.

I also think that Ellis, Vilma, and McCray will put a little more pressure on opposing offenses than we were able to last year.

Strongside
08-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Our pass defense was 3rd in the league last year, and will only get better with Ryan Clark coming back, and an improved pass rush. And we have a replacement for most of the old guys on our D. Mcfadden for Townsend, Timmons for Farrior. The only real problem with age is D-line which, granted, could be a problem.

brat316
08-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Our pass defense was 3rd in the league last year, and will only get better with Ryan Clark coming back, and an improved pass rush. And we have a replacement for most of the old guys on our D. Mcfadden for Townsend, Timmons for Farrior. The only real problem with age is D-line which, granted, could be a problem.

A big problem for a 3-4 team.

cdub11
08-15-2008, 08:28 AM
im voting vikings again

Ewing The Third
08-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Pats, cause **** 'em that's why.

Sniper
08-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Pats, cause **** 'em that's why.

Pretty stupid logic.

Bengalsrocket
08-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Browns and Steelers are so close, I don't know how anyone can be sure that one is better than the other.

Same goes for Saints / Vikings / Packers. I feel like all 3 teams could legitimately go for 10-13 wins. And on the same note, I feel like any of those 3 teams could hit a slump and only get 4-7 wins.