PDA

View Full Version : Jasper Brinkley to DE???

TACKLE
08-14-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm not trying to pull an Incredible Draft Dude here but I was wondering, if Jasper Brinkely really weighs 275 and runs a 4.7-4.8, would he be considered as a potential DE or DE/OLB prospect or is he strictly an MAC is a 3-4?

eaglesfan_45
08-14-2008, 06:20 PM
He can play DE I read that about him, and with his size he might grow out of the LB posistion.

Cigaro
08-14-2008, 07:35 PM
He can play DE I read that about him, and with his size he might grow out of the LB posistion.

Whatever you read is horrible.

He in no way is a DE prospect. MLB all the way. He plays the game at about 260-265, same size as Maualuga, and since his knee injury, he's run 4.7 at practices. He is a premier 3-4 MLB prospect.

bitonti
08-15-2008, 12:35 PM
the injury scares me. Im not sure he will ever be the same.

Cigaro
08-15-2008, 04:26 PM
the injury scares me. Im not sure he will ever be the same.

It wasn't an OMG WORST THING EVER injury. It did sideline him for the rest of the year, but he was actually able to play the rest of the game with the injury(it occured in the first half). He's come back to practice at full string and is playing the same way he did in last years practice.

TitanHope
08-15-2008, 06:09 PM
His brother Casper played DE, so he likely has the ability to play DE. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 3-4 ILB is his only bet, because right now, he's a 2-down MIKE that'll get taken out in passing situations. 4-3 teams won't invest a high pick in a situational DEF player that's not a pass-rusher, so he's either gotta drop weight in an effort to get quicker or hope a 3-4 team falls in love with him as 3-4 teams tend to wait to select ILB's.

Personally, I think he's over-rated, but that's a bit unfair of me to say after him missing playing time last year.

Cigaro
08-15-2008, 07:24 PM
His brother Casper played DE, so he likely has the ability to play DE. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 3-4 ILB is his only bet, because right now, he's a 2-down MIKE that'll get taken out in passing situations. 4-3 teams won't invest a high pick in a situational DEF player that's not a pass-rusher, so he's either gotta drop weight in an effort to get quicker or hope a 3-4 team falls in love with him as 3-4 teams tend to wait to select ILB's.

Personally, I think he's over-rated, but that's a bit unfair of me to say after him missing playing time last year.

Casper Brinkley was out of position at defensive end. He only played there because South Carolina lacked depth. If you watched the Georgia game where they put Casper at linebacker, he actually played near the level of Jasper.

Question; What do you base your claim that he lacks pass coverage skills and that he doesn't posses enough quickness?

Before injury, he was our best run stopper at linebacker, but also best cover man as well. And since his injury, he's ran a few 40s in the 4.7 range. So yes, I would certainly like to know what you base your claims on?

Staubach12
08-15-2008, 07:50 PM
A Parcells type 3-4 ILB is his best fit. I definitely don't like him at DE.

Sniper
08-15-2008, 08:24 PM
His brother Casper played DE, so he likely has the ability to play DE

Not seeing how his brother playing DE has anything to do with him playing DE.

He'd be a nice MLB for Philly though.

TitanHope
08-15-2008, 09:02 PM

Them being brothers and having the same genetics is the only connection I was trying to make.

Question; What do you base your claim that he lacks pass coverage skills and that he doesn't posses enough quickness?

Before injury, he was our best run stopper at linebacker, but also best cover man as well. And since his injury, he's ran a few 40s in the 4.7 range. So yes, I would certainly like to know what you base your claims on?

Because he's a MLB who weighs more than the DE's in front of him and is coming off of a bad knee injury. I don't even have to see a picture or game of the guy's to guess he's not gonna be winning any track meets. And though it's not true with every player, most LB's who weigh as much as DE's, let alone ones coming off of a knee injury, probably won't be blanketing many TE's.

I also know that it's useless to argue with a South Carolina homer who thinks his team's player is an elite prospect, but I'll humor you. If you look at my post's context, I was talking about how he'd translate into the NFL. I don't care if he's a solid coverage LB in college, and his skills before injury are irrelevant. We're talking about a 6'2, 275 pound linebacker who, as of today, has less than a season and a half of experience in Division 1 football, and is coming off of a season ending knee injury. If Brinkley was a DE, he'd be the 2nd heaviest DE in Scott's current Top 10 behind Tyson Jackson. Logically, he'd be best in run support and a liability in NFL coverage.

Pardon me if I don't drink the Koolaid, but I'm sure you saw something during the '06 season that convinces you he's an elite ILB and will point out how I missed such an epic performance.

Cigaro
08-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Pardon me if I don't drink the Koolaid, but I'm sure you saw something during the '06 season that convinces you he's an elite ILB and will point out how I missed such an epic performance.

1st team All-SEC, more than twice as many tackles as the next leading guy for South Carolina...hopefully this year you'll make an effort to watch him, instead of seeing that he's 275 pounds and immediately assuming and then asserting he's one dimensional.

etk
08-18-2008, 12:36 AM

He'd be a nice MLB for Philly though.

Usually you project players to certain positions based on their body types. If one brother can play DE, it is assumed that the other brother has a similar body type and can also play that role. Not all brothers are similar (my brother is a pear with fat calves), but I definitely think Jasper has the build to play end as well as linebacker. It would be a difficult transition so I think he should stay with what he's used to, but versatility will help his draft stock tremendously.

TheIncredibleDraftDude
08-18-2008, 05:15 PM
I see him more as a SS. A bigger more versatile Sean Taylor. A 6'2 265 SS, thats not something u wanna run into as a wr.

illmatic74
08-18-2008, 05:57 PM
I see him more as a SS. A bigger more versatile Sean Taylor. A 6'2 265 SS, thats not something u wanna run into as a wr.
He would look real scary as the wr ran passed him for a td. He will excel at either MLB or DE depends on the team philosophy. Also a quick point with the way the game is played now MLB might be the least important position on the field. The toughest most athletic used to play MLB Butkus, Lambert, etc. Now except for Urlacher(if they didn't have such a rich history at MLB he would play outside) Smart undersized guys not as athlectic as the outside guys play the position Lofa, Fletcher, Ryans.

Vikes99ej
08-18-2008, 05:58 PM

It just gets better and better.

TACKLE
08-18-2008, 07:12 PM

Pure Genius.

TitanHope
08-19-2008, 02:56 PM
1st team All-SEC, more than twice as many tackles as the next leading guy for South Carolina...hopefully this year you'll make an effort to watch him, instead of seeing that he's 275 pounds and immediately assuming and then asserting he's one dimensional.

You know what context is, right? Ok, ok - he's a good collegiate player. But, all of my posts have been about him playing in the NFL. While the SEC is a great conference, it is not the NFL. Him being preseason All-SEC a year ago and being able to absorb tackles due to the lesser talent around him does not mean he's an elite player when discussing his translation from college to the pros. I even said it was unfair for me to call him overrated due to his injury and missed time and not being able to have enough on him to come to an accurate conclusion. Besides, I don't have to see all of his games to know if I'm right or wrong. Fact is, as I've stated before, he's only played one full season against SEC competition, which isn't much. Now, he's gonna have one full season pre-injury and (hopefully) one full season post-injury.

He's one of your best players, so thats fine that you defend him. But from an objective standpoint, you'd be ignorant to ignore things like his injury, weight, experience, etc.

Sniper
08-19-2008, 03:32 PM

He's back!

It's a tight race for the worst rep on SWDC. TIDD leads ever so slightly over eagles fan 45. Who will be the first to full neg rep??!?!?!?!

Did TIDD get banned?

Cigaro
08-19-2008, 06:25 PM
You know what context is, right? Ok, ok - he's a good collegiate player. But, all of my posts have been about him playing in the NFL. While the SEC is a great conference, it is not the NFL. Him being preseason All-SEC a year ago and being able to absorb tackles due to the lesser talent around him does not mean he's an elite player when discussing his translation from college to the pros. I even said it was unfair for me to call him overrated due to his injury and missed time and not being able to have enough on him to come to an accurate conclusion. Besides, I don't have to see all of his games to know if I'm right or wrong. Fact is, as I've stated before, he's only played one full season against SEC competition, which isn't much. Now, he's gonna have one full season pre-injury and (hopefully) one full season post-injury.

He's one of your best players, so thats fine that you defend him. But from an objective standpoint, you'd be ignorant to ignore things like his injury, weight, experience, etc.

He was preseason All-SEC 2007, postseason All-SEC 2006. So why did you italicize preseason?

And so you admit barely seeing him play, and yet you form an opinion that he is purely one-dimensional?

And is Rey Maualuga too big in your opinion? They both play at the same weight. Jasper Brinkley was at around 7% body fat at 265.

TitanHope
08-20-2008, 04:35 PM
He was preseason All-SEC 2007, postseason All-SEC 2006. So why did you italicize preseason?

And so you admit barely seeing him play, and yet you form an opinion that he is purely one-dimensional?

And is Rey Maualuga too big in your opinion? They both play at the same weight. Jasper Brinkley was at around 7% body fat at 265.

I can only find that he was 1st team preseason All-SEC in '07. Nowhere in his player profile does it say he was 1st team All-SEC after '06 - not even 2nd or 3rd team is mentioned. I italicized preseason because, in my opinion, postseason and preseason are two very different things. Preseason means that you're the best guy at your position coming back to the SEC, but doesn't necessarily mean you were the best guy last season and doesn't have impact on your upcoming season. Postseason means that you were the absolute best guy over the past season.

My opinion is based off of common sense. You're still arguing with me about college when I'm discussing professional. If you can't grasp my point and must repeat my statements in an interrogative form, then forget it. You win. I'm not gonna argue with ignorance, especially when they're trying to argue that their player is the exception to the rule and insist that empiricism is the only way to formulate a theory.

Cigaro
08-20-2008, 07:43 PM
I can only find that he was 1st team preseason All-SEC in '07. Nowhere in his player profile does it say he was 1st team All-SEC after '06 - not even 2nd or 3rd team is mentioned. I italicized preseason because, in my opinion, postseason and preseason are two very different things. Preseason means that you're the best guy at your position coming back to the SEC, but doesn't necessarily mean you were the best guy last season and doesn't have impact on your upcoming season. Postseason means that you were the absolute best guy over the past season.

http://www.secsports.com/index.php?url_channel_id=2&url_article_id=8055&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

My opinion is based off of common sense. You're still arguing with me about college when I'm discussing professional. If you can't grasp my point and must repeat my statements in an interrogative form, then forget it. You win. I'm not gonna argue with ignorance, especially when they're trying to argue that their player is the exception to the rule and insist that empiricism is the only way to formulate a theory.

You say he's too big; he plays at the same weight Rey Maualuga plays at, and I haven't heard anyone saying Maualuga is too big. You say he's too slow; he's run a 40 in the 4.7 range since his knee injury. You say he's one dimensional, then admit that you've rarely seen him play.

You are correct, you cannot argue with ignorance, so I'm wasting my time.

Staubach12
08-20-2008, 09:31 PM

Get out now.

Clayton89
08-21-2008, 04:21 AM
http://www.secsports.com/index.php?url_channel_id=2&url_article_id=8055&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

You say he's too big; he plays at the same weight Rey Maualuga plays at, and I haven't heard anyone saying Maualuga is too big. You say he's too slow; he's run a 40 in the 4.7 range since his knee injury. You say he's one dimensional, then admit that you've rarely seen him play.

You are correct, you cannot argue with ignorance, so I'm wasting my time.

I dont believe any 40 times that players run in practice. Last year Quentin Groves was running 4.4s and the year before that Lawerence Timmons reportedly runs 4.5's and shows up at the combine and runs a 4.84 plus pass coverage has nothing to do with straight line speed especially for a linebacker who most of the time will be using lateral quickness rather than pure speed. And your Rey argument doesnt make sense as he to is seen as a thumper whos lack of pass coverage ability is his only glaring deficiency. The big difference is that Rey has proved on a more consistent level to be able to deliver game changing hits(and it helps to play on a team with as much exposure as Souther Cal). All in all Brinkley is a good prospect but not the elite one you make him out to be. He actually reminds me alot of Barrett Ruud coming out of Nebraska a few years back

illmatic74
08-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Anyone know why Brinkley was taken out of the game third down on thursday. Is it injury or is he bad in coverage anyone know.

etk
08-30-2008, 11:33 PM
especially for a linebacker who most of the time will be using lateral quickness rather than pure speed. And your Rey argument doesnt make sense as he to is seen as a thumper whos lack of pass coverage ability is his only glaring deficiency. The big difference is that Rey has proved on a more consistent level to be able to deliver game changing hits(and it helps to play on a team with as much exposure as Souther Cal). All in all Brinkley is a good prospect but not the elite one you make him out to be. He actually reminds me alot of Barrett Ruud coming out of Nebraska a few years back

Have you ever seen the man play? You talk about lateral quickness being important in coverage, and yet I see Brinkley close on receivers across the middle and lay big hits all the time. Brinkley has also proven more than capable of delivering big hits, but like you said he has limited exposure. South Carolina is loaded with defensive studs...Brinkley, Norwood, Cook, Munnerlyn...and yet you never hear about any of them. It doesn't mean they can't play.

Barrett Ruud? To this day Ruud is still 240 lbs soaking wet. Brinkley is a 270 lb. monster. Brinkley is quicker and a bigger hitter, but Ruud has better instincts and can play deeper in coverage. They're nothing alike.

He's not an elite prospect....elite prospects go in the top 10 at the least and Brinkley is coming off a serious injury and doesn't have the speed to go that high. I see him as a great prospect....top 20 and one of the best Seniors available.

trekindude
08-31-2008, 09:19 AM
Talking of not getting the coverage from the media. I was just reading the ESPN Blog section on the SEC. There was one article on the QB controversy at S.Carolina and 12!! articles on LSU. But agreed the Gamecocks defense is loaded with studs. Brinkley is the glue in the middle.

wicket
08-31-2008, 09:42 AM
I see him as a terrible SS. A bigger more versatile Sean Taylor. A 6'2 265 SS, thats not something u wanna run into as a wr, you should run by him.

On a more serious note, most mlb/ilb arent that quick, they just are indredibly good tacklers, strong with proper arms and a good sense of the game, he should be fine playing mlb at 265, and otherwise the coach should just let him run a couple of miles to shed the weight and let him play mlb then.

mqtirishfan
08-31-2008, 10:17 AM
On a more serious note, most mlb/ilb arent that quick, they just are indredibly good tacklers, strong with proper arms and a good sense of the game, he should be fine playing mlb at 265, and otherwise the coach should just let him run a couple of miles to shed the weight and let him play mlb then.

They might not be quick in high school football, but they certainly are in the NFL.

TitanHope
09-02-2008, 04:12 AM
You say he's too big; he plays at the same weight Rey Maualuga plays at, and I haven't heard anyone saying Maualuga is too big.

He's heavier than Maualuga, and Maualuga is not coming off of a knee injury.

You say he's too slow; he's run a 40 in the 4.7 range since his knee injury.

Oh he does now? Can you provide the link to an official time that wasn't taken using a stopwatch by a member of the team's training staff on South Carolina's track? Until then, don't try to play rumor off as fact.

You say he's one dimensional, then admit that you've rarely seen him play.

I said he's likely one dimensional in the NFL, and then admitted to only seeing two real games of his in his one and only full season. Also, you do know that you've asked me that in all of your responding posts to mine, right?

wicket
09-02-2008, 04:30 AM
They might not be quick in high school football, but they certainly are in the NFL.

they are quicker in the nfl as they are on every position but f.i. maluaga aint that quick either and everybody seems to agree he is a good prospect.

Ozzy
09-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Yes he is too slow to play ILB in the NFL sadly...could make it work but would be hard with the speed today. He will find somewhere to play. Could maybe play in a 3/4 defense as a ILB if they have the opposite ILB be way more athletic than him and Brinkley can kind of focus more no the run...

Ozzy
09-02-2008, 01:38 PM
I see him more as a SS. A bigger more versatile Sean Taylor. A 6'2 265 SS, thats not something u wanna run into as a wr.That is an absolute insult to the late great Sean Taylor...honestly more versatile...give me a break! Brinkley will never in his life be a DB. I certainly hope you were trying to make a joke with this comment.