PDA

View Full Version : issue with picking players on top teams

fstep
08-15-2008, 07:32 AM
ok so my leagues playoffs are week 16 and 17 last year i had a good team with my stars being:
romo, addai, and owens .. i did great all year just to get slaughtered in the finals because all my top players got benched in week 17 which got me thinking about this year

does it make a lot of sense to pick up players on teams that will be superbowl contenders and will most likely sit out their stars for the last and possibly last 2 games?

example of some players i had my eye on that are ranked higher then others:
romo over brees - romo will likely sit last game while brees will be fighting for the wildcard. romo is ranked higher then brees but does it make sense to take him based on the above?
another example might be maroney over parker
and there are many others

so wanted to get everyone's input on making picks from teams like that

Iamcanadian
08-15-2008, 07:54 AM
The solution is easy, while you cannot cut your hard core stars before the playoffs, you have to realize that teams rest their stars for that last game and schedule your roster accordingly. If necessary bench all your stars and play your 2nd string in the final week especially if it's a close race. Take it team by team and player by player to see which of of your stars should definitely be benched.
If you actually draft thinking of the last week, you'll be out of the race long before the last week arrives. Remember, you also want to win the playoffs if your league has one and you won't do that with inferior players.

fstep2
08-15-2008, 08:29 AM
well the issue in my league is we have vetos and every trade like that will get vetoed as it did last year when i tried to do the exact thing you are suggesting. i know its stupid but thats how our league is

so with that in mind do you still think its best to take it game by game and worry about making it to the finals first or should you draft with the last game in mind

drowe
08-15-2008, 11:31 AM
that's why the championship HAS TO BE IN WEEK 16.

Shane P. Hallam
08-15-2008, 11:35 AM
that's why the championship HAS TO BE IN WEEK 16.

Exactly. Having it on Week 17 makes it a crapshoot. It really diminishes your leagues credibility.

CJSchneider
08-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Exactly. Having it on Week 17 makes it a crapshoot. It really diminishes your leagues credibility.

I couldn't agree more.