PDA

View Full Version : Depth Chart Prediction

TimD
08-17-2008, 01:22 PM
I started making a depth chart and when I was done I had 59 players and couldn't make a case to keep 1 but not another. (Man, coaching must be hard). Anyways I decided do this instead. Basically list a player (or a few), and the next poster has to say whether they think they'll make it or not (explanation optional). Then that poster lists a player (or more). There's at least 10 guys (maybe more) that are on the bubble and could go one way or another. Anyways let's begin.

TimD
08-17-2008, 01:23 PM
I'll start out with guys most likely competing against eachother for spots even though they are different positions.

Musa Smith - RB - 6 yr pro
Jesse Chatman - RB - 6 yr pro
Jason Pociask - TE/H-Back - 3 yr pro
Jehuu Caulcrick - FB - rookie

derza222
08-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Man this is hard. I'm going to say Chatman makes it over Smith because he has better hands and is just more versatile overall. Not sure either would get many carries and both are big backs so I'll go with the more versatile guy. Pociask I'll say makes it just because Mangini has constantly been talking him up, he's great as a blocker and if Baker and Franks aren't around long would be a good compliment long-term to Keller. Caulcrick I love but I just don't think there's enough room. Keep him on the practice squad if we can (the only player of this group we can do that with) and he can move up in case of injuries as a short yardage back and fullback of the future. I could easily see that going differently so if anyone disagrees you definitely have a point but that's how I see it.

I'll go with the wideouts and quarterbacks (the bottom in each is practically a lock but figured I'll throw them in anyways).

Wallace Wright
Marcus Henry
David Clowney

Erik Ainge
Brett Ratliff

disgruntledjetsfan
08-17-2008, 08:52 PM
I'd be pretty upset if we cut Marcus Henry because I think he has potential and great size.

I would also be unhappy if Erik Ainge gets cut because I think he too has potential and hasn't been given enough time to prove himself. Obviously there are only so many roster spots but these are two guys who I think we should hold onto simply because of their long term upside.

derza222
08-17-2008, 09:45 PM
I'd be pretty upset if we cut Marcus Henry because I think he has potential and great size.

I would also be unhappy if Erik Ainge gets cut because I think he too has potential and hasn't been given enough time to prove himself. Obviously there are only so many roster spots but these are two guys who I think we should hold onto simply because of their long term upside.

I certainly agree. However Ratliff has proved he's worth keeping around also, are you going to keep 4 QB's? Same with Clowney if he's healthy, and Wright we've had on the roster and is a special teams ace. I'm sure they wouldn't be cut outright maybe we'd try and hide them (especially Ainge with the pinky) on an injured list. I'd say of the two Henry has a better chance of making the 53 man.

TimD
08-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Unfortunately I think Wright is going to be the odd man out as long as Clowney can prove he can play special teams as well keep up his preseason play

derza222
08-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Unfortunately I think Wright is going to be the odd man out as long as Clowney can prove he can play special teams as well keep up his preseason play

Agreed. However, Clowney's injury (I've read collarbone) could have him out for an extended period. In that case, do you stash him on IR and put Wright and Henry on the team for now or just keep one and save a roster spot for a different position?

TimD
08-19-2008, 02:51 PM
That's true. Maybe keep Clowney on the IR this season and next year we can see if he's ready to be a number 3 receiver. I mean it'd stink for him tho cause you know he wants to play.

derza222
08-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure he'll be back early enough though so not sure why I said IR. Probably put him on the PUP see how he's doing by week 6 I believe and then take it from there. To complicate matters Henry supposedly had a monster practice today.

Lets check out another position, corner. Revis, Miller, Poteat, and Lowery are all probably locks but from there:

David Barrett (who took a paycut)
Drew Coleman
Ahmad Carroll
Rudy Burgess

josh07039
08-19-2008, 07:01 PM
For corner Its tough because barrett is a solid guy as evidenced by his paycut, but hes not the best player. Ahmad Carroll's speed is so enticing is only for special teams. I also liked the job Coleman did last year, he was a solid player who didn't make many mistakes. Burgess, i know nothing about.

TimD
08-19-2008, 10:29 PM
well we only have 3 locks for safety so if poteat or barrett can play safety then we can carry 7 corners.

revis
miller
lowry
poteat
barrett
coleman
carroll

derza222
08-19-2008, 11:33 PM
We're really in a bit of a squeeze at this point as far as roster spots. If you look at positions where guys are viable options to make the team you have about 7 DL's that are practically locks with other guys possibly making it, 6 guys at linebacker and I'm sure they'll have to keep around 8, 7 potential corners and they may want to carry 4 safeties. Nuge and Graham are both taking up spots and Dearth will too unless we find another LS. Then you have 4 RB's, 2 FB's, 4 QB's, 7 WR's, 4 TE's, and you're probably going to want 8-10 OL's. You really have to shrink it down take 7 DL, 7 LB, 9 secondary, 3 ST, 8 OL, 1 FB, 3 RB, 3 TE, 6 WR, and 3 QB which leaves only one extra roster spot to keep the corner or wideout you would cut (Carroll or Wright I'd guess), an 8th linebacker, a 9th OL, Pociask, Caulcrick, Chatman/Smith, Ainge, or a fourth safety. We're going to have to make some really tough cuts this year.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Ratliff won't be cut, and shouldn't be. I haven't seen enough on Ainge to this point to comment, but Ratliff has impressed.

Wright has been great on Special Teams, something that makes that decision that much tougher. His coverage is something that shouldn't go unnoticed.

Tough choices for both those positions. I know what i'd do for corner.

I'll have to look closer at RB later.

TimD
09-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Well the final depth chart is here. And I'll tell you a few surprises. check for yourselves.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/depth_charts/