PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Orton named Starting Quarterback.

Tampa 2 4 life
08-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Cue neckbeard.jpg

He can't be worse than grossman, right?

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Can't be worse than Grossman, agreed. But i don't think he can provide the same highs that Grossman did in the past. I'd take consistency though, rather than one of the two extremes that Grossman can provide (usually the bad kind recently)

Go_Eagles77
08-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Orton still probably wouldn't be anything more than a #3 QB on most teams.

BlindSite
08-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Agreed, this says more about Grossman's ineptitude than Orton's brilliance.

BRAVEHEART
08-18-2008, 05:05 PM
As a Lions fan I am happy, very happy.

iowatreat54
08-18-2008, 05:10 PM
As a Lions fan I am happy, very happy.

why, the Lions still suck it doesn't matter who the Bears QB is, they will look like Peyton Manning vs. the Lions :)

yourfavestoner
08-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Get ready for fifty wide receiver screens to Hester a game.

brat316
08-18-2008, 05:11 PM
i think Kyle will be a little better than Rex. I hope they just do reverse plays with Hester and Bennett, and screen passes

umphrey
08-18-2008, 05:33 PM
i think Kyle will be a little better than Rex. I hope they just do reverse plays with Hester and Bennett, and screen passes

I think that's what they call a passing game

Dr. Gonzo
08-18-2008, 05:33 PM
As a Vikings fan I am afraid of the Neckbeard.

Smooth Criminal
08-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Orton is the safe choice. He isnt a play makes by any means but he also doesn't turn the ball over alot.

Either way, the Bears offense is going to be bad.

Geo
08-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Hopefully for the Bears, experience helps Orton improve on his accuracy.

Twiddler
08-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Good choice. Well, better choice, not good. Rex "**** it, I'm going deep" Grossman probably wouldn't work too well with such an unproven (that's the nice way of putting it) offense. Or a good offense for that matter.

scottyboy
08-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Hopefully for the Bears, experience helps Orton improve on his accuracy.

i don't think Vinny Testadverde has enough years of experience that Orton would need to improve his accuracy...

princefielder28
08-18-2008, 07:20 PM
The lesser of two evils; I question this offense's ability to put up 10 points a game

Race for the Heisman
08-18-2008, 07:24 PM
The lesser of two evils; I question this offense's ability to put up 10 points a game

If the defense and special teams can combine for a touchdown or so each game that might be enough to eke out a few wins.

Dam8610
08-18-2008, 07:35 PM
Neckbeard for MVP!

niel89
08-18-2008, 08:07 PM
http://chicagoist.com/2007/12/17/tonight_as_the.php

Menardo75
08-18-2008, 08:16 PM
We won the highly competitive Bears competition that is good look at me talking lol

LonghornsLegend
08-18-2008, 08:44 PM
I don't care as long as he throws the ball to Olsen alot.

CJSchneider
08-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Bears fans, pin your hopes to this:
http://thesportshernia.typepad.com/blog/images/2007/12/17/orton.jpg

Geo
08-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Prediction: Sexy Rexy will throw a pass in his homestate of Indiana in Week 1.

Dam8610
08-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Prediction: Sexy Rexy will throw a pass in his homestate of Indiana in Week 1.

But that would take a massive blowout one way or the other.

holt_bruce81
08-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Can't be worse than Grossman, he's not going to force throws like Rex did.

BlindSite
08-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Get ready for fifty wide receiver screens to Hester a game.

Aye, they've already directly copied a lot of routes the Panthers used Smith in.

Punt returners are good at turning 5 yrd outs into 50 yard touch downs. Hester is probably one of the few who may be able to make the transference from one to the other.

Its one thing to know the game plan, its another to stop it. I dunno why the bears didn't at least give Leftwich or Culpepper a look.

eaglesfan_45
08-18-2008, 09:57 PM
WHAT? No Caleb Hannie? Jeez...

GB12
08-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Aye, they've already directly copied a lot of routes the Panthers used Smith in.

Punt returners are good at turning 5 yrd outs into 50 yard touch downs. Hester is probably one of the few who may be able to make the transference from one to the other.

Its one thing to know the game plan, its another to stop it. I dunno why the bears didn't at least give Leftwich or Culpepper a look.
Your ability to make every one of your posts about the Panthers amazes me. Even in a thread about Kyle Orton you somehow find a way to talk about the Panthers.

bearfan
08-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Orton as said will not provide the flashy games like Grossman has before, but he will come in and hopefully put up David Garard type numbers (I would be happy with a 15:10 TD:INT). With Orton in the game though, look for Forte to get more carries.

Geo
08-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Leftwich wouldn't stay healthy behind that line, plus doesn't have the years of experience in the offense that Sexy to the Rexy and Captain Neckbeard have.

I'd probably say Culpepper is done in the league.

Bears should have signed Quinn Gray imo, he would have been perfect.

MetSox17
08-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Your ability to make every one of your posts about the Panthers amazes me. Even in a thread about Kyle Orton you somehow find a way to talk about the Panthers.

I would chirp in, but last time i did, i got infracted, lol.

Brodeur
08-18-2008, 10:28 PM
but he will come in and hopefully put up David Garard type numbers (I would be happy with a 15:10 TD:INT).

Yeah that's not going to happen at all, especially since David Garrard is actually an accurate QB.

BRAVEHEART
08-18-2008, 10:32 PM
why, the Lions still suck it doesn't matter who the Bears QB is, they will look like Peyton Manning vs. the Lions :)

That's why the bears got swept last season.:)

Gatz
08-18-2008, 11:48 PM
Dump off beats out Chuck it!

They should just put Hester in at QB instead.

bigbluedefense
08-18-2008, 11:54 PM
Well....it is what it is...

this is just borrowed time until McNabb comes to town.

eaglesfan_45
08-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Well....it is what it is...

this is just borrowed time until McNabb comes to town.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bite your Tounge!

phenomsvengeance
08-18-2008, 11:57 PM
The problem with the quarterback position in Chicago is, and I am a Bears fan, that just like the presidency, you have to go with the lesser of the two evils. Personally I am more of a Grossman fan but that is because I am a Gators fan.

I don't think it matters who starts honestly, we will be lucky to win 4 games all year. We are going to be lousy AGAIN.

PACKmanN
08-19-2008, 01:14 AM

maybe this is their chance of finally not being last in the division.

BRAVEHEART
08-19-2008, 02:05 AM
maybe this is their chance of finally not being last in the division.

I don't get it,the Bears were last in the division.

eaglesfan_45
08-19-2008, 02:47 AM
The problem with the quarterback position in Chicago is, and I am a Bears fan, that just like the presidency, you have to go with the lesser of the two evils. Personally I am more of a Grossman fan but that is because I am a Gators fan.

I don't think it matters who starts honestly, we will be lucky to win 4 games all year. We are going to be lousy AGAIN.

Honestly I think the Bears set a foundation for the future this draft. It won't show this year but I think in the future, the guys that the Bears got this year will be instrumental to their future sucess. I think they are going to be pretty bad this year, but if they get a good QB in the draft, they've set themselves up to suprise some people.

edit: oh and nice job getting political on your very first post here at 'DC' (man that feels weird) you're 1/1! Keep it up kid!

BlindSite
08-19-2008, 03:19 AM

It was a post about how Hester is being made into a receiver and how Orton is going to be able to do just that.

If you can't see the relationship between two guys drafted as returners then one being a successful convert and the other starting to be converted you're certifiably ********.

Leftwich wouldn't stay healthy behind that line, plus doesn't have the years of experience in the offense that Sexy to the Rexy and Captain Neckbeard have.

I'd probably say Culpepper is done in the league.

Bears should have signed Quinn Gray imo, he would have been perfect.

McCown would've been the best option but he was long gone before they realised they had such a problem.

d34ng3l021
08-19-2008, 04:19 AM
Falcons are in a better QB situation than the Bears.

BlindSite
08-19-2008, 04:22 AM
Hell yeah. Will they take a look at whatisface the Dolphins kicked to the curb?

Addict
08-19-2008, 07:06 AM

you're absolutely right, lol! I mean, I can't even imagine how bad a team must suck to beaten by the lions twice in one season!!! That team must SUCK, right?

oh wait...

bigbluedefense
08-19-2008, 08:20 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bite your Tounge!

lol :)

it is a strong possibility, esp if McNabb can't stay healthy this year. besides, Reid is itching to play Kolb.

iowatreat54
08-19-2008, 08:22 AM
I don't get it,the Bears were last in the division.

they tied for last, so Lions = last still

and it was just a joke, jeez...if being swept by a terrible team means you suck, then I guess the Packers were one of the worst teams in the league last year :rolleyes:

Bears had no QB, no Rb, no OL, and essentially half a defense and they still tied the Lions, that's how bad the Bears must be...

Bearsfan123
08-19-2008, 10:51 AM
back to Orton. I liked the decision. After Rex's booing I thought we should just dump him. The fans will no longer get behind Grossman, but Neckbeard might be able to squeek out some support from them. When I heard that the Dolphins no longer cared for Beck I thought we should have offered them a low round pick for him, A to give the fans something tangible to hope for, B he may not be really young but Beck does have potential, and C Grossman could then be let go.

Orton gives us a decent arm, decent decision making, average release speed, and decent short to medium range throws. He has bad deep ball accuracy which does hurt the use of Hester's speed. (Something Rexy would have been able to use). So we have an absolutely mediocre qb behind a terrible o-line, and little running game. But the decision was the correct one. Go Bears

awfullyquiet
08-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Rex Grossman: an ode to overcoaching.

Oh reximus. Your heart was always in the right place
with your reckless abandon and cute haircuts.
You made me squirm when you threw the ball
but i knew it may have either made me jump out of my seat
or tie a chain of sausages around my neck and jump off my bungalow
I wish you were more accurate. Or less of a mental midget.
I wish lovie smith hired a real quarterbacks coach.
You were doing so well, for so long, and even won an award or two
I think you can do better, you've been there before.
Oh rexy, my rexy, i can't believe how lame you are now.
But you provided me with thrills. And chills.
Even though you're better than the great neck beard, (which you know)
I will always love you so
And remember, the 2005 bears.

Iamcanadian
08-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Right now it doesdn't mean much that Orton will start. If the Bears really struggle, Grossman will be back in there pretty quickly. We'll have to wait till around the 8th game to see who finally has the job.
The defense had better be back to its 2006 form or indeed the Bears could be last in the NFC North Division.

bearsfan_51
08-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Orton still probably wouldn't be anything more than a #3 QB on most teams.
Not at all. Granted there aren't many teams Orton could start on, but he's a good #2. In fact, I promise that Orton will have a long career as a good backup in the NFL. He makes good decisions, has a good arm for a backup, and is durable. I've seen Brian Griese in action, and Orton is a MUCH better quarterback than Griese, who is considered a top NFL backup.

That said, I went in this season preferring Orton over Grossman, but he's still not the longterm answer we need. This is the difference of a win or two maybe.

bearsfan_51
08-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Right now it doesdn't mean much that Orton will start. If the Bears really struggle, Grossman will be back in there pretty quickly. We'll have to wait till around the 8th game to see who finally has the job.
The defense had better be back to its 2006 form or indeed the Bears could be last in the NFC North Division.

Finishing last or third means absolutely nothing to me. The point is that we're very unlikely to make the playoffs, and that's all that maters.

AlexDown
08-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Orton TIME!

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5223/orton8ud3.jpg

awfullyquiet
08-19-2008, 02:40 PM
fyi, if you didn't know, that's a bottle of veuve cliquot, and a large one at that.

he's ballin in his Prius drinking 100 dollar magnums (aka, 2x bottles) of champagne. why doesn't someone make an awesome rap about the neckbeard.

bearsfan_51
08-19-2008, 04:16 PM
you're absolutely right, lol! I mean, I can't even imagine how bad a team must suck to beaten by the lions twice in one season!!! That team must SUCK, right?

oh wait...
The year the Lions swept a 7-9 team. Possibly the greatest season in the last 50 years.

*Clap clap*

Brodeur
08-19-2008, 04:49 PM
The year the Lions swept a 7-9 team. Possibly the greatest season in the last 50 years.

*Clap clap*

There's only so much us as Lions fans can brag about.

BlindSite
08-19-2008, 05:13 PM
The lions brag about losing by a field goal.

phenomsvengeance
08-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Honestly I think the Bears set a foundation for the future this draft. It won't show this year but I think in the future, the guys that the Bears got this year will be instrumental to their future sucess. I think they are going to be pretty bad this year, but if they get a good QB in the draft, they've set themselves up to suprise some people.

edit: oh and nice job getting political on your very first post here at 'DC' (man that feels weird) you're 1/1! Keep it up kid!

Thank you, but I am no kid my friend. I happen to be 31.

I was only trying to make a point. We are going to be lousy this year. I think we did have some good picks Chris Williams was a great pick, and I think Kirk Barton in the 7th Round was a steal. The guy has potential to be good. Kellen Davis is a decent Tight End as well, surely a steal. He and Olsen will be a good tandem. The only problem I had with this draft was, no starting guards. I mean, we stunk at guard and tackle, why no guard?

Maybe it's just me though.

BRAVEHEART
08-19-2008, 10:15 PM
they tied for last, so Lions = last still

and it was just a joke, jeez...if being swept by a terrible team means you suck, then I guess the Packers were one of the worst teams in the league last year :rolleyes:

Bears had no QB, no Rb, no OL, and essentially half a defense and they still tied the Lions, that's how bad the Bears must be...

You lose the tie when the team you're tied with beat you not once...but twice. It's alright, the bears will be used to being owned twice more than once this season.

P.S. excuses are for the weak.

eaglesfan_45
08-19-2008, 10:26 PM

I was only trying to make a point. We are going to be lousy this year. I think we did have some good picks Chris Williams was a great pick, and I think Kirk Barton in the 7th Round was a steal. The guy has potential to be good. Kellen Davis is a decent Tight End as well, surely a steal. He and Olsen will be a good tandem. The only problem I had with this draft was, no starting guards. I mean, we stunk at guard and tackle, why no guard?

just a figure of speech, your a kid to these boards, but yeah I feel like the Bears did a nice job drafting this year. My favorite pick was Earl Bennett he has shades of Reggie Wayne if you ask me.

Eagles own the NFC East
08-20-2008, 03:39 PM
What a terrible offense. Terrible playmakers to go along with Kyle Orton at QB.

CC.SD
08-20-2008, 03:49 PM
What a terrible offense. Terrible playmakers to go along with Kyle Orton at QB.

G-Reg will break out this year though, and no one has any idea how Hester might do.

TJacobs41
08-20-2008, 08:57 PM
It is a very good choice to sit Grossman.... He throws like a girl....

skinzzfan25
08-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Yay neckbeards!

bearsfan_51
08-20-2008, 09:04 PM

I don't think Barton is even going to make the team. If we keep a 4th tackle it will probably Cody Balogh, a kid out of Montana. Barton had a lot of attention on him at Ohio State and fell to the 7th round, that should probably say something.