12. Philadelphia Eagles
11. Green Bay Packers
10. Minnesota Vikings
9. New Orleans Saints
8. Cleveland Browns
7. Pittsburgh Steelers
6. New York Giants
5. Jacksonville Jaguars

Who is the 4th best beam in the NFL going into the 2008/2009 season?

Xonraider
08-18-2008, 08:28 PM
San Diego...

princefielder28
08-18-2008, 08:29 PM
America's Team is #Favre

jballa838
08-18-2008, 08:29 PM
It has to be Dallas. Dallas hasn't done near what the others have done (Colts are experienced and will go far, New England is arguably the best, Chargers have the most talented team in the league and actually have a wr corps now, making their o as scary as throwing towards Cromartie.

diabsoule
08-18-2008, 08:30 PM
I went with Dallas, although I think the Pats will have a down year this year.

MetSox17
08-18-2008, 08:30 PM
I think the injuries to the Colts is what puts them at #4.

yo123
08-18-2008, 08:31 PM
I wanted to go with the Pats, but I went Chargers. They're talented on paper, but never seem to come up big when it counts.

diabsoule
08-18-2008, 08:33 PM
I wanted to go with the Pats, but I went Chargers. They're talented on paper, but never seem to come up big when it counts.

I think that has to do w/ coaching more so than talent on the field.

princefielder28
08-18-2008, 08:33 PM
I went with Dallas, although I think the Pats will have a down year this year.

yeah it was between Dallas and New England for me as well. I went with Dallas because of their head coach and #2 receiver

Dam8610
08-18-2008, 08:35 PM

Who that's important won't be back for the opener? You could argue Session > Hagler, and he's the only player projected to miss the opener.

The top 3 teams in the NFL in some order are (take your pick for the order): Indianapolis, San Diego, and New England. That puts Dallas at 4.

MetSox17
08-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Who that's important won't be back for the opener? You could argue Session > Hagler, and he's the only player projected to miss the opener.

The top 3 teams in the NFL in some order are (take your pick for the order): Indianapolis, San Diego, and New England. That puts Dallas at 4.

How healthy will Freeney be? Harrison?

How's Manning doing, btw, haven't heard much about him.

diabsoule
08-18-2008, 08:37 PM
yeah it was between Dallas and New England for me as well. I went with Dallas because of their head coach and #2 receiver

I question Dalla's #2 WR, coach, and age at critical positions.

I could've just as well went NE because overall their defense does nothing to impress me, especially looking at the age all over the field. Their secondary looks really bad and if an injury bug attacks the old men they have then it could be a long year for them.

Geo
08-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Dallas plays poorly in December and still hasn't won a playoff game in over a decade.

Dam8610
08-18-2008, 08:40 PM
How healthy will Freeney be? Harrison?

How's Manning doing, btw, haven't heard much about him.

Freeney is cleared to practice as of Wednesday (Bob too), Marvin has looked like the Marvin of old in preseason (granted, it's preseason, but that's still a VERY encouraging sign), and Manning could be back as early as next week.

LonghornsLegend
08-18-2008, 08:42 PM
I voted Dallas just because its tough to put us above Peyton and Dungy, and while San Diego could be debated they have just as much talent and went further last year while almost unseating NE...That would still be a SB berth for Dallas, and I like our chances vs Indy the best out of the remaining 3 just because the 3-4 has been known to give Peyton fits.

Sniper
08-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Dallas. Call me when they win a playoff game. They haven't done that since Penn State beat Michigan last.

CJSchneider
08-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Had to go with the Colts here, I like them, I just think they are the #4 team here.

MetSox17
08-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Dallas. Call me when they win a playoff game. They haven't done that since Penn State beat Michigan last.

Call me when the fact that Quincy Carter and Troy Aikman were losing playoff games has any relevance whatsoever on what happens this year with the Cowboys.

Geo
08-18-2008, 08:51 PM
True, but the '06 and '07 teams are relevant.

Malaka
08-18-2008, 08:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVuQ5aw0HAQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ZMr4HEPAA

Those reasons are why I vote for the Boys' here.

EDIT: And this man

http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2008/01/13/amd_wadephillips.jpg

MetSox17
08-18-2008, 08:58 PM
True, but the '06 and '07 teams are relevant.

Oh, the years where our playmaker quarterback was starting half a season and his first full season, respectively?

BeerBaron
08-18-2008, 09:04 PM
You know, I voted the Cowboys but would anyone be surprised if the Colts didn't live up to all their billing? If Peyton was any other playing coming back from that surgery, there would be major cause for concern, but since its Peyton he gets a pass... Should he play week 1, he'll be jumping in for the first time without any real practice this season...could be interesting on them this year.

princefielder28
08-18-2008, 09:08 PM
You know, I voted the Cowboys but would anyone be surprised if the Colts didn't live up to all their billing? If Peyton was any other playing coming back from that surgery, there would be major cause for concern, but since its Peyton he gets a pass... Should he play week 1, he'll be jumping in for the first time without any real practice this season...could be interesting on them this year.

They play the Bears so they should be okay :)

MetSox17
08-18-2008, 09:09 PM

That's my logic for ranking them fourth. I just think that they're banking on a lot of people returning to normal form from injury right off the bat, and i wouldn't bet on that.

The rest of my four go like this.

1. San Diego
2. Dallas
3. New England
4. Indianapolis

The two most talented teams in the league go up there, with New England and Indy close behind.

BeerBaron
08-18-2008, 09:11 PM
They play the Bears so they should be okay :)

you know, if somehow the colts O could square off with the Bears O, that may be a good thing, but um.....there aren't many worse defenses to face after several months on the shelf. Plus Mike Brown is back. Mike Brown = god.

princefielder28
08-18-2008, 09:13 PM
you know, if somehow the colts O could square off with the Bears O, that may be a good thing, but um.....there aren't many worse defenses to face after several months on the shelf. Plus Mike Brown is back. Mike Brown = god of the injury bug.

fixed it for ya

Sniper
08-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Call me when the fact that Quincy Carter and Troy Aikman were losing playoff games has any relevance whatsoever on what happens this year with the Cowboys.

It's so cute how you get so defensive. Relax, disagreeing isn't the end of the world. Tony Romo is 0-2 in the playoffs and has committed the game sealing mistake in both games. That's not a good sign. Wade Phillips is still your coach, that's not a good sign.

Dam8610
08-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Looks like #4 is settled and #3 is going to be interesting.

MetSox17
08-18-2008, 09:18 PM
It's so cute how you get so defensive. Relax, disagreeing isn't the end of the world. Tony Romo is 0-2 in the playoffs and has committed the game sealing mistake in both games. That's not a good sign. Wade Phillips is still your coach, that's not a good sign.

I know, girls love it ;) lol.

The game-sealing mistake in his second game is pretty irrelevant i'd say. It would have been a turnover had it been an incomplete pass, a short run, a short route, anything, really.

It's barely gonna be his second year as a starter, so i wouldn't be so critical of Romo.

08-18-2008, 09:30 PM

Yeah, my thoughts exactly .

Dam8610
08-18-2008, 09:37 PM

Then please answer my question: what important member of the Colts is slated to miss week one?

Dam8610
08-18-2008, 09:42 PM
you know, if somehow the colts O could square off with the Bears O, that may be a good thing, but um.....there aren't many worse defenses to face after several months on the shelf. Plus Mike Brown is back. Mike Brown = god.

Several months on the shelf? Try two weeks, followed by 3-4 weeks of rehab. Besides, Peyton is one of the least sacked QBs in NFL history.

As for Mike Brown...you obviously haven't met Bob Sanders (http://bobsanders.ytmnd.com/).

MetSox17
08-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Then please answer my question: what important member of the Colts is slated to miss week one?

Them not missing the starting snap of the game, does not mean they will be back at 100% and just as effective. Harrison, Freeney, Manning, Sanders..

All guys that are important to the team who might get nicked up throughout the year, as they've shown they can be.

Dam8610
08-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Them not missing the starting snap of the game, does not mean they will be back at 100% and just as effective. Harrison, Freeney, Manning, Sanders..

All guys that are important to the team who might get nicked up throughout the year, as they've shown they can be.

Manning, Harrison and Freeney have shown they can be nicked up? That's odd, considering Manning has never missed a start, and last year was the first time Harrison or Freeney missed a significant amount of time in their respective careers, and they're both close to a year removed from their respective injuries. I can understand saying that about Bob, but that statement is ridiculous in reference to the other three.

MetSox17
08-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Manning, Harrison and Freeney have shown they can be nicked up? That's odd, considering Manning has never missed a start, and last year was the first time Harrison or Freeney missed a significant amount of time in their respective careers, and they're both close to a year removed from their respective injuries. I can understand saying that about Bob, but that statement is ridiculous in reference to the other three.

Well save for Manning of course. I was gonna edit that but i figured you'd know what i was talking about.

And just look at the type of injuries Freeney and Harrison suffered. The same types that can linger on and on, are are very easy to re-aggravate. I'm not really banking on Freeney being 100% effective right off the bat. He's the one i'd most worry about, honestly. Without him, i'm not sure how much i like that defensive line.

Dam8610
08-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Well save for Manning of course. I was gonna edit that but i figured you'd know what i was talking about.

And just look at the type of injuries Freeney and Harrison suffered. The same types that can linger on and on, are are very easy to re-aggravate. I'm not really banking on Freeney being 100% effective right off the bat. He's the one i'd most worry about, honestly. Without him, i'm not sure how much i like that defensive line.

Harrison had a bursa sac injury, basically the same thing as Manning, and Freeney had a Lisfranc. Neither has much chance of reaggrivation, as Harrison's bursa sac isn't there anymore (I think, may be wrong on that), and Freeney's lisfranc is a bone in the foot that isn't very easy to break. I will give you that Freeney is the biggest concern, but that's because the lisfranc injury has been known to take a bit of quickness from players, and that's a big part of Freeney's game. That said, the Colts did not ignore their pass rush need in the offseason, bringing in two explosive edge rushers in Marcus Howard and Curtis Johnson, and what most scouts considered the best blitzing LB in the draft in Philip Wheeler. I know they're rookies, but it's not like rookies have never played a vital role for the Colts.

keylime_5
08-18-2008, 10:11 PM

As long as they have Manning out there they'll probably win that division with the core they have now. It doesn't sound like Manning will miss any time unless he gets reinjured...and how many times does someone ever get a hard hit on Manning? Maybe two or three times?

Geo
08-18-2008, 10:22 PM
My only concern is how Manning will be come the start of the season.

The team is being cautious with Bobzilla and Freeney, both guys will be fine imo and I expect the team to continue being cautious with Freeney by easing him in with additional rotation/substitution. Harrison is recovered, but injuries have come into play the last two years (had arm and wrist injuries throughout the '06 season and playoff run), so maybe age is catching up to him although he's probably still in great shape.

MetSox17
08-18-2008, 10:26 PM
The guy i'd really be worried about is Freeney, from a Colts fan's perspective. Lisfranc injuries are nothing to be apathetic about, seeing as Shaun Alexander's career was derailed by one, recently.

Most positions require you to have healthy feet, but someone with the style that Freeney has, depends on them especially.

08-18-2008, 10:28 PM

As someone stated earlier let's not give Manning a pass. You might not be losing anyone for week one but the valuable time on the field being lost is not something to be ignored here.

CC.SD
08-18-2008, 10:29 PM

Like the playoffs where they won two games? Okay.

Dallas is the clear choice here.

yo123
08-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Like the playoffs where they won two games? Okay.

Dallas is the clear choice here.

What does winning two games get you? You guys have been the "most talented team on paper" for 3-5 years now, and haven't even made a super bowl. I know Dallas hasn't won a playoff game either, but I still feel more confident in Tony Romo than Rivers under center.

Geo
08-18-2008, 10:32 PM
The Colts are deeper at defensive end this year, it's almost night and day from last season. Now Raheem Brock is back at defensive end where he admits he feels much more comfortable, and started 48 consecutive games before moving to tackle for the '06 and '07 season. There's rookie Marcus Howard who is a pass-rushing demon, he'll help spell Freeney, and undrafted free agent Curtis Johnson is looking good as a pass rusher also.

TACKLE
08-18-2008, 11:33 PM

Agree with you there. I voted for the Colts. Also their DT's are very weak.

Smooth Criminal
08-18-2008, 11:47 PM
I voted for Indy. I dont think they are as complete of a team as they once were and Harrison slowing down is an awful sign for that offense.

CC.SD
08-19-2008, 12:06 AM
What does winning two games get you? You guys have been the "most talented team on paper" for 3-5 years now, and haven't even made a super bowl. I know Dallas hasn't won a playoff game either, but I still feel more confident in Tony Romo than Rivers under center.

That's a pretty wacky opinion given that Rivers has shown he plays excellently in the playoffs while Romo has screwed up a couple times. They're both still young though. Don't jump on me please Dallas nation I'll seriously be too bored to respond.

YOU said "they don't win when it counts" and I mentioned they just won two playoff games, and your response is "What does it get you?" Hey, the Chargers couldn't quiiiiiiiiite get over the hump without LT, Gates or Rivers at full strength. Is that surprising? The team was still strong enough to make a more than serious game against the undefeated Pats.

It's looking like they're healthy now, and hopefully will be come playoffs this season. I'll take it.

DMWSackMachine
08-19-2008, 01:10 AM
Not surprised to see all the anti-Dallas sentiment.

Had to know it was coming after the other threads leading up here. I suppose I should just rejoice in the fact that everyone is willing to put the 'Boys up this high in the first place, so I think I'll do that.

I went Indy here, though I think that NE could easily be #4. Its amazing to me how everyone is giving the Pats a free pass. Looks like they will be a surefire #1. Why? WHY? Just because they went undefeated?!?! Oh, that. Well.....ok.

All I have to say is that at least one of these 4 will disappoint in a big way this year, maybe even missing the playoffs. If I had to choose one, I would think it would be Indy, so I went for them here. As for how it looks right now, I'm seeing 4 fairly equal squads. Clearly the class of the league, and not a lot seperating one from another.

Dam8610
08-19-2008, 09:26 AM
As someone stated earlier let's not give Manning a pass. You might not be losing anyone for week one but the valuable time on the field being lost is not something to be ignored here.

Peyton has been doing this with all the key members of the Colts offense for years now, the kind of consistency the Colts have had on the offensive side of the ball over the years is unheard of. He's been doing this with Marvin for 10 years, with Reggie for 7 years, with Clark for 5 years, and with Addai for 2 years (not that long, but by the same token, he's not a receiver primarily), not to mention he's been running the same system for 10 years. Manning will have at least a week to prepare on the practice field, and I'm sure he hasn't slacked one bit in the film room, being the junkie he is. I'd be more surprised if he wasn't ready to play week one than if he was in all honesty.

Dam8610
08-19-2008, 09:31 AM
I voted for Indy. I dont think they are as complete of a team as they once were and Harrison slowing down is an awful sign for that offense.

How are they "not as complete" now? Harrison has shown no signs of slowing down in the preseason btw. I understand it's preseason, but from the looks of things, Marvin is going to be Marvin.

Caddy
08-19-2008, 09:38 AM
How are they "not as complete" now? Harrison has shown no signs of slowing down in the preseason btw. I understand it's preseason, but from the looks of things, Marvin is going to be Marvin.

Marvin is no Joey Galloway. :rolleyes: