PDA

View Full Version : Bengals resign Henry

Bruce
08-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Bengals re-signed suspended WR Chris Henry to a one-year contract, pending he passes a physical Tuesday.
Henry is eligible to play in Week 5. The move probably indicates more concern with Andre Caldwell's (toe) status than Chad Johnson (shoulder) or T.J. Houshmandzadeh (hamstring), as the latter two are both expected to be ready for Week 1. When Henry joins the active roster, he'll mostly threaten TE Ben Utecht's targets in the slot. The Bengals are admitting desperation here, but Henry can be an exceptional player on the field.http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3167

Malaka
08-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Heh, good job Bengals FO, trying to be tough and cutting this guy and then just come back crawling.

neko4
08-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Its his last shot, he screws this up and he's out

PalmerToCJ
08-18-2008, 09:31 PM
<-------- Is not thrilled.

The guy has talent, I'll never deny it... Just not worth the hassle. Not to mention he can't even play the first 4 weeks.

MetSox17
08-18-2008, 09:33 PM
I don't understand why they'd re-sign him. You just picked up two nice, young and very talented WR's, why stunt their growth by adding this guy?

eaglesfan_45
08-18-2008, 09:35 PM
I don't understand why they'd re-sign him. You just picked up two nice, young and very talented WR's, why stunt their growth by adding this guy?

We're talking about the Bengals, they're pretty dysfunctional.

PalmerToCJ
08-18-2008, 09:39 PM

To their credit. Simpson, as they figured, will not be much of a factor this year. He's got tons of talent but he's just raw. Not sure how bad Caldwell's injury is, can't be good.

TJ is hurt, Chad is hurt, next week our #1 WR will probably be Marcus Maxwell with Antonio Chatman. Glenn Holt as the #3. Carson and Bratkowski want to run some 4 WR sets anyway.

When they cut him and he got cleared of the charges, I thought fine at least it got it over with... Now here we are...

themaninblack
08-18-2008, 09:45 PM
I can't believe they were willing to take this risk. Either they are just very desperate or they know something we don't.

As a player though it's nice to have his talent on the field with all this uncertainty right now. Isn't he suspended for four games?

keylime_5
08-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Can't say that this move has a sliver of integrity in it at all. In fact I wanna say negative integrity.

BlindSite
08-18-2008, 09:47 PM

Having them on the roster and them being ready to play are very different things.

Dam8610
08-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Heh, good job Bengals FO, trying to be tough and cutting this guy and then just come back crawling.

Yeah, a one year deal after the reason they cut him turned out to be bogus is totally caving. :rolleyes:

Malaka
08-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Yeah, a one year deal after the reason they cut him turned out to be bogus is totally caving. :rolleyes:

Well they cut him to show that they weren't taking this crap from players anymore, and just because the charges were bogus doesn't mean that he hasn't been arrested multiple times, and is suspended. Now they, have a lot of injuries in the WR corp. and they go back to him.

yo123
08-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Can't say that this move has a sliver of integrity in it at all. In fact I wanna say negative integrity.

Pretty much my exact thoughts. I guess it's ok that he's a punk, as long as they need a WR. They were fine with releasing him before CJ got hurt.

Twiddler
It may be a little risky in the public light but then again, if he misbehaves then they can just cut him. Good signing I think, especially with Chad and TJ having troubles staying on the field.

PoopSandwich
WOW HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Unbelievable

LonghornsLegend
08-18-2008, 10:28 PM
I saw this coming, heard rumors floating, funny how Marvin Lewis tried to downplay it like it was nothing...Sorry but talented or not, you can't make a stand on your team about character and changing your image and giving this guy another shot.

Just imagine the backlash the Bengals will receive once this guy screws up again.

themaninblack
08-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Not exactly like Marvin can go around talking about it when he wasn't a part of the team. Technically, Chris didn't mess up his "last" chance.

Bengalsrocket
08-18-2008, 10:33 PM
This signing doesn't bother me at all. People are acting like its as if we had some great image to uphold already. We're desperate for WRs that aren't injured, and he's not only the best free agent WR right now, but he already knows how we operate.

Scotty D
08-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Dumb dumb dumb dumb. No one in the league even sniffed around this guy. Why not run out Andre Caldwell, Jerome Simpson, Mario Uruttia (7th rounder right?). dumb dumb.

Bengalsrocket
08-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Dumb dumb dumb dumb. No one in the league even sniffed around this guy. Why not run out Andre Caldwell, Jerome Simpson, Mario Uruttia (7th rounder right?). dumb dumb.

Because none of them can play right now? Caldwell is injured, Simpson isn't ready and Urruta certainly isn't. Chris Henry is good enough to be a #1 on some teams, Outside of Chad and TJ, every WR on our team is barely good enough to be a #4.

yo123
08-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Because none of them can play right now? Caldwell is injured, Simpson isn't ready and Urruta certainly isn't. Chris Henry is good enough to be a #1 on some teams, Outside of Chad and TJ, every WR on our team is barely good enough to be a #4.

Well when you were supposedly trying to make a statement that you aren't going to tolerate things like this anymore, resigning your most troubled player really isn't the way to go about it.

Scotty D
08-18-2008, 10:48 PM

Simpson just had a 100 yard game? He seems to have enough of a grasp to start in the preseason atleast. Bengal managment is not looking good here. Are you kidding me? I really don't buy that Chris Henry was your guys last resort either.

themaninblack
08-18-2008, 11:09 PM
A 100 yard game against the Lion's scrubs in the preseason is certainly a good way to gauge his talent.

If Chris Henry wasn't our last option then we sure as hell waited a long time to sign him. Maybe he was our second last option.

StripedWalrus
08-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Our absolute last option is trading Brooks to Applebees for Peter Warrick.

CC.SD
08-19-2008, 12:08 AM
This. Team. Needs. New. Ownership.

djp
08-19-2008, 02:33 AM
Just goes to show that the Bengals have no clue what they are doing as a franchise.

Larry
08-19-2008, 06:56 AM
I don't have a problem with this, on the field Henry will make plays.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-19-2008, 08:23 AM
Seeing into the future, the bengals sign Michael Vick once he gets out of jail.

Geo
08-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Again, for anyone who wants to point the finger of blame to Marvin Lewis, please realize that the true root stems from the top.

bigbluedefense
08-19-2008, 06:21 PM
pathetic.

and it all goes back to Marvin Lewis. ive said for awhile now that under Marvin Lewis, the bengals have no direction. this is another perfect example of it. he wants to make a stand...until he needs a WR. pathetic.

the Bengals need to fire Marvin Lewis. he's a fraud, and has been one for awhile now.

bigbluedefense
08-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Again, for anyone who wants to point the finger of blame to Marvin Lewis, please realize that the true root stems from the top.

i think Lewis has a lot to do with it.

umphrey
08-19-2008, 06:26 PM
They stand to lose a draft pick if he screws up again as well.

themaninblack
08-19-2008, 07:12 PM
The charges we cut him for and the charges he is being suspended for have been dropped. We sign him at a minimum contract and if he messes up he's gone.

Addict
08-19-2008, 07:43 PM
pathetic.

and it all goes back to Marvin Lewis. ive said for awhile now that under Marvin Lewis, the bengals have no direction. this is another perfect example of it. he wants to make a stand...until he needs a WR. pathetic.

the Bengals need to fire Marvin Lewis. he's a fraud, and has been one for awhile now.

it's playoffs or bust for Lewis. Or, more accurately, it's a season without too many incidents and the playoffs or bust.

PalmerToCJ
08-19-2008, 08:36 PM

Bingo.

Mike Brown has always taken risks on low character guys... Most notably Corey Dillon. Brown has publicly stated that Odell and Henry were at his urging. Marvin had always said he wasn't a fan of dealing with those guys and Brown said he felt Marvin could handle it, so he pulled the trigger on them.

The man is quite the businessman but I wish he'd just hire a GM, scouting department and stay out of things.

And it's not playoffs or bust for Marvin, Mike Brown has hung onto MUCH worse for longer.

Crickett
08-19-2008, 09:03 PM
This signing doesn't bother me at all. People are acting like its as if we had some great image to uphold already. We're desperate for WRs that aren't injured, and he's not only the best free agent WR right now, but he already knows how we operate.

Let me say this. The Jets could use wide receivers too. Laveranues Coles has been an uphappy camper because of the Pennington trade, who knows if Clowney is good enough to start and the Jets don't have much else at WR besides Cotchery and those two. If the Jets had signed Chris Henry, I would have been pissed.

I really don't know why the Bengals did this. There wasn't anyone else the Bengals could have signed for the preseason? I mean, if the Bengals aren't ready to go at the start of the season for any reason, Henry's not going to be around to help anyway.

PalmerToCJ
08-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Bottom Line... Once he was cleared of charges, Mike Brown wanted to give him ANOTHER chance. That's all there is to it. Why? I have no idea but that's the way he is.

LonghornsLegend
08-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Bottom Line... Once he was cleared of charges, Mike Brown wanted to give him ANOTHER chance. That's all there is to it. Why? I have no idea but that's the way he is.

It just makes the entire organization look like a hypocrite, read what they said after the cut him, what Marvin Lewis had to say, and the first time an injury occurs to their star WR to go and pick him back up...It's not like they gave him some time to get his head together, he got signed before the pre-season ended, who knows if he even took remorse for what he's done...There was a reason not 1 other team was interested in picking him up as a FA, not 1(Not even Dallas and Oakland who people say they always take risk and both could use a WR), it is a bold move by Cincy, if you say your done with a guy be done, don't come crawling back when injuries are thick, shows you care more about stats and W's then you do picking up low character guys.

Thats just my honest take on it, but if he does screw up again, don't be surprised when the organization catches hell for it, you put yourself on the line with a move like this, and they can't be surprised if it happens, they put it on theirself.

themaninblack
08-19-2008, 10:34 PM
I don't think you people understand that the reason Chris Henry was released was because he was allegedly involved in another crime. Those charges were dropped. I'm not justifying his past but when you release someone for something they are suspected of then it is found they were not a part of it, bringing him back does not seem hypocritical at that point.

This is something that ESPN coincidently has failed to acknowledge at this time.

PalmerToCJ
08-19-2008, 10:42 PM
It REALLY aggravates me to see the people putting the blame on Marvin for him being re-signed.

Marvin did not want him back, Mike Brown wanted him back.

StripedWalrus
08-19-2008, 10:54 PM
Its just easier for everyone to blame Marvin. They dont realize that its Mike Browns show, not Marvin Lewis's show. Mike Brown does what Mike Brown does. So I dont know why everyone is being so hard on Marvin.

TJacobs41
08-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Its his last shot, he screws this up and he's out

I think he has already been given too many chances. Don't get me wrong, I love the Bengals, they are my second favorite team. But the coaches and players like Carson Palmer need to step up and get some of the trouble makers in line.

Let's hope that he does clean up his act because he can help that team a lot.

StripedWalrus
08-20-2008, 09:07 PM
I think he has already been given too many chances. Don't get me wrong, I love the Bengals, they are my second favorite team. But the coaches and players like Carson Palmer need to step up and get some of the trouble makers in line.

Let's hope that he does clean up his act because he can help that team a lot.

Thats the thing...players and the coaches are stepping up. They wanted Henry gone and thats why he was kicked off the team. If you saw the press conference with marvin lewis after the resigning and if you saw any of the team leaders like TJ, Palmer, etc. you see that they are all not so happy about this. Its Mike Brown that is wanted him back and it is Mike Browns fault the Franchise is in this state.

TJacobs41
08-21-2008, 06:15 AM
Thats the thing...players and the coaches are stepping up. They wanted Henry gone and thats why he was kicked off the team. If you saw the press conference with marvin lewis after the resigning and if you saw any of the team leaders like TJ, Palmer, etc. you see that they are all not so happy about this. Its Mike Brown that is wanted him back and it is Mike Browns fault the Franchise is in this state.

Well then something needs to be done about Mike Brown... He is in such a high position that nothing probably will happen, but the Bengals have so much potential and it is people like Mike Brown that are going to keep them from being one of elite teams in the league.

StripedWalrus
08-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Well then something needs to be done about Mike Brown... He is in such a high position that nothing probably will happen, but the Bengals have so much potential and it is people like Mike Brown that are going to keep them from being one of elite teams in the league.

This is exactly 100% positively the right answer!

bored of education
08-21-2008, 12:43 PM
They are the team from the jail in Necessary Roughness

TJacobs41
08-21-2008, 02:23 PM
They are the team from the jail in Necessary Roughness

haha!!

I think that time has passed now. I highly doubt that we will see much if any crimes from Bengals players...

Bucs_Rule
08-22-2008, 08:17 PM
I don't have a problem with a team signing him. I was hoping TB would in fact. Its all the talk that the Bengals made about never resigning him and moving on that did.

Saints-Tigers
08-24-2008, 04:19 AM
This shows how hypocritical all of the NFL is, they talk about how they want to clean up the NFL's image and all, but what they really mean is, they want to clean up the image by punishing players they think have no use, if they decide that they need a player, then suddenly he can be given chances.

I personally don't care what they do, if the NFL wants to suspend everyone, go ahead, if they want to let criminals play, im fine with that too, I just want to watch football, but please spare the fans all this "we want role models on the field" crap... You want players that produce, and when they don't, you want a convenient reason to toss them.

On Chris Henry himself, he's the most talented player I've ever lined up against in high school football, he was at the line of scrimmage doing pushups before the play, then got up and ran a post pattern for an easy TD... Says a lot about his talent(and his character).

He was also a devastating tackler for being so thin, he leveled this guy who was about the strongest guy on our team, who was a 230 pound running back with speed and power... Chris had him seeing stars.

TimD
08-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Where did you play against him?

Saints-Tigers
08-24-2008, 09:04 PM
My Freshman year of High School he was a senior, he played for Belle Chasse high, it's in the New Orleans area.