PDA

View Full Version : MNF Commentators

kalbears13
08-18-2008, 10:54 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/frank_deford/10/03/three.on.mic/p1_mnf.jpg

Why are they on TV?

brat316
08-18-2008, 10:56 PM
nah I like Jaws everyone else is an idiot but not a bad as NBC half time and pre game guys

who is it Bob Costa

Brent
08-18-2008, 10:58 PM
I cannot stand those guys... mainly Jaws and Tony, Mike is good play-by-play.

Jughead10
08-18-2008, 11:00 PM
Anything is better than Chris Collingsworth or Moose Johnston. So if you aren't one of those two, I can at the very least tolerate you.

PackerLegend
08-18-2008, 11:02 PM
Anything is better than Chris Collingsworth or Moose Johnston. So if you aren't one of those two, I can at the very least tolerate you.

Are you saying Bryant Gumbel is better? Hell no hes awful.

TheBuffaloBills
08-18-2008, 11:03 PM
I am sick of Collingsworth because of Madden..... I swear he starts everything off with.... "The thing is with (so and so) is that they(drives home the point)(Then pauses) ( Then retells the point and over-explains things)

I cant stand him.........

Kornheiser is *** and unfunny....

I dont mind Mike though..... He knows his stuff and players...

TheBuffaloBills
08-18-2008, 11:04 PM
However I could go for Emmit Smith play by play

Jughead10
08-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Are you saying Bryant Gumbel is better? Hell no hes awful.

I don't have NFL Network. And generally watch those games at bars where they don't put the sound on. So I'm saved from him.

saintsfan912
08-18-2008, 11:05 PM
As long as Troy Aikman isn't on TV I'm fine. I hate that guy with a passion.

kalbears13
08-18-2008, 11:08 PM
I should have just made this a "Who is the worst announcer" thread.

PoopSandwich
08-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Kornheiser is an idiot.

PoopSandwich
08-18-2008, 11:13 PM

The quarterback have good receiver and the receiver make excellent plays.

yo123
08-18-2008, 11:14 PM

Just thinking about this made me laugh.

He fumbled the doggone football!!!

BeerBaron
08-18-2008, 11:15 PM
I cannot stand those guys... mainly Jaws and Tony, Mike is good play-by-play.

Mike is so good at play-by-play that apparently, Brady Quinn got to go play in his hometown "Green Bay" and theres apparently a guy named "Derrick Football" somewhere on the Giants......

I'm not sure theres any group of commentators I actually like. I think Al Michaels is my favorite..so maybe him and idk...one other guy whos not Madden as a commentator would be alright. iirc, Rich Gannon does a pretty good job for one of the networks....

Mr.Regular
08-18-2008, 11:18 PM
Theyre not the best but it could be worse...

I present to you satan's gift to the broadcast booth:
http://www.unclebarky.com/abovethefold_files/page0_blog_entry607_1.jpg

After watching these two a-holes, the MNF crew is orgasmic...like watching Jesus, Michael Phelps, and Jordy Nelson.

Twiddler
08-18-2008, 11:20 PM
It was just strongly dislike but Tony Kornheiser puts it over the top for me.

kalbears13
08-18-2008, 11:21 PM
Mike is so good at play-by-play that apparently, Brady Quinn got to go play in his hometown "Green Bay" and theres apparently a guy named "Derrick Football" somewhere on the Giants......

I'm not sure theres any group of commentators I actually like. I think Al Michaels is my favorite..so maybe him and idk...one other guy whos not Madden as a commentator would be alright. iirc, Rich Gannon does a pretty good job for one of the networks....

If you're a play by play guy. It's really hard to look bad because you don't really have an opinion. Al Michaels does a good job as a play by play. It's tough to be a good commentator. But Kornheiser isn't even trying.

BeerBaron
08-18-2008, 11:23 PM
If you're a play by play guy. It's really hard to look bad because you don't really have an opinion. Al Michaels does a good job as a play by play. It's tough to be a good commentator. But Cornheiser isn't even trying.

honestly, I think Al has seen enough football in his life that he could do both in the booth. Throw in another voice who isn't annoying, like I mentioned Rich Gannon, and that would be a nifty combo.

And I honestly think anything involving Joe Buck is the worst....I refuse to watch Eagles games where he announces. The guys got McNabbs testicles so far down his throat they're coming out his backside.....

StripedWalrus
08-18-2008, 11:26 PM
honestly, I think Al has seen enough football in his life that he could do both in the booth. Throw in another voice who isn't annoying, like I mentioned Rich Gannon, and that would be a nifty combo.

And I honestly think anything involving Joe Buck is the worst....I refuse to watch Eagles games where he announces. The guys got McNabbs testicles so far down his throat they're coming out his backside.....

oo ya I ahte Joe Buck too. I used to listen to him on baseball games...blah!

He looks like a jerk too

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Joe_Buck.jpg

BeerBaron
08-18-2008, 11:29 PM
oo ya I ahte Joe Buck too. I used to listen to him on baseball games...blah!

He looks like a jerk too

oh man, my family has a lot of hard core Yankee fans in it and I know that they'll mute the TV and listen to the game on the radio instead of listening to Buck pretty much openly root against them.

Luckily for them, the YES channel came into existence, lol.

But yeah, Buck is pretty high on my **** list...I like how the Eagles receiver always ran the wrong route or there should be some kind of penalty on the defense any time McNabb does something other than complete the pass.... McNabb is clearly god, jesus and Jordy all rolled into one. blegh.....

Any does anyone remember when Buck flipped the **** out when Randy Moss fake mooned the Packer fans? Even Tony Dungy found that funny....that pissed me off pretty badly too...

bearfan
08-18-2008, 11:32 PM
The worst is Joe Buck. Period.

StripedWalrus
08-18-2008, 11:37 PM
The worst is Joe Buck. Period.

I suppose we should start a "I Hate Joe Buck" Fanclub! We can use Conference room B after the "I Hate ESPN Football Broadcasts" Fanclub.

Yung Flippa
08-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Jaws and Tony are beyond annoying! I don't mind Mike though, he's does a good job.

yo123
08-18-2008, 11:42 PM
I love Kornheiser on PTI (even though he's on like 1/5 of the time.) But the guy is obviously miscast and knows absolutely nothing about football.

ninerfan
08-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Actually I dont mind em - atleast Jaws bring some credability

Twiddler
08-18-2008, 11:45 PM
I love Kornheiser on PTI (even though he's on like 1/5 of the time.) But the guy is obviously miscast and knows absolutely nothing about football.

Yep, and the worst part about it is that he knows it and even has discussed his lack of knowledge and ability recently. It's pretty sad when it gets to that point.

LonghornsLegend
08-18-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm sick of Kornheiser, bring the other guy from HBO back Dennis Miller? Anybody I don't care.

Kornheiser has a bad habit of beating a dead horse, and talking about topics to death, I want to choke him if I hear the word "favre" come out of his mouth again...Michael A. Smith needs to be on everything involving ESPN for it to be decent, otherwise I will probably be dissapointed.

StripedWalrus
08-18-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm sick of Kornheiser, bring the other guy from HBO back Dennis Miller? Anybody I don't care.

Kornheiser has a bad habit of beating a dead horse, and talking about topics to death, I want to choke him if I hear the word "favre" come out of his mouth again...Michael A. Smith needs to be on everything involving ESPN for it to be decent, otherwise I will probably be dissapointed.

You cant be serious...really bring back Dennis Miller!!!!! heck no!

Go_Eagles77
08-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Mike is the only decent one of the bunch, and he's just the pbp guy. I will say however I cracked up when he accidentally called Michael Vick "Michael Football" when going through all the recent #1 overall picks, "Couch is now out of football, as is Michael Football" lol I don't know why but I found that hilarious.

brat316
08-18-2008, 11:57 PM

now thats an idea

saintsfan912
08-18-2008, 11:57 PM
I hate Joe Buck too, such a complete tool. Hilarious how an announcer can pretty much blatantly root for a team/player.

They should bring in the Cajun Cannon Bobby Hebert, the guy is hilarious on the radio here in South Louisiana.

MetSox17
08-19-2008, 12:01 AM

ESPN is starting to over-expose Michael Smith. I loved the guy when he was on ATH, but as soon as they put him on NFL Live, he started sounding like a tool, like the rest of the Live crew.

I love Kornheiser on PTI, although i do agree that he might be out of his comfort zone in MNF. The thing is that i think the producers really push him to act funny and say stuff that's wacky, which is what made him a great watch in the first place, but when you make him act, is when he blows. He's great on PTi because he acts normal and he can be himself around Wilbon.

Jaws is an idiot. I've made my rants on Jaws before.

Gatz
08-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Bring him in!
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o56/leavethemanalone/lebatardxmas.jpg

Shane P. Hallam
08-19-2008, 12:43 AM
Now, let's keep this poll with all options open. I like them. I think Jaws is good at what he does, always loved him. Tirico is a solid play-by-play guy. Nothing special, but solid. and Kornheiser, well, I'm not sure how needed he is.

Brent
08-19-2008, 12:44 AM
Mike is so good at play-by-play that apparently, Brady Quinn got to go play in his hometown "Green Bay" and theres apparently a guy named "Derrick Football" somewhere on the Giants
I dont care if he gets that crap wrong, I just find his voice tolerable, unlike most TV announcers. Honestly, I wish there was an audio feed, similar to SAP, where it was just crowd noise and the stadium PA.

yodabear
08-19-2008, 12:54 AM
Out of these 4, I had to go with like them. I don't hate them, don't really dislike them. It sadly prolly is the 2nd best "A" team of the broadcast booths next to Michaels and Madden: Michaels is so good he overrides some of the moronic obvious things Madden says. I hate Joe Buck and Troy Aikman: one of the perks of being the worst team in the league other than the #1 pick is we don't have to listen to those jackasses. I am glad the Pack traded Favre, so I don't have to see them as much now. And then Nantz and Simms are sooooooooo ******* boring to listen to, they announce football like a golf tournament without Tiger Woods. And then the NFL Network: well they still got Chris Collinsworth: thats all u need to know.

yo123
08-19-2008, 01:14 AM
Bring him in!
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o56/leavethemanalone/lebatardxmas.jpg

Oh hell no. Dan Le Batard is the most obnoxious ESPN personality out there by far.

Gatz
08-19-2008, 01:32 AM
Oh hell no. Dan Le Batard is the most obnoxious ESPN personality out there by far......
Bam?
How about a pairing of the most obnoxious and the most awkward?

http://www.thehookandlateral.com/images/coaches/john_clayton.jpg

CashmoneyDrew
08-19-2008, 02:04 AM
This is why I'm going into broadcasting. To give my fellow sports fans hope in the commentator booth. Unfortunately I am not a minority or a former professional athlete so it will be a long and arduous journey.

bigbluedefense
08-19-2008, 08:17 AM
I like Tirrico, hate Kornheiser. I have no idea why Kornheiser is there, he's not funny and he's useless. He's much better at PTI, announcing isn't his thing.

And Jaws...he's ok. He can sound homerish sometimes, but hey, it happens. And he can be a TFAG (typical football analyst guy). But i can tolerate him most of the time.

Tirrico is good though. No problems with him.

Splat
08-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Kornheiser on PTI :)

Kornheiser on MNF :(

Geo
08-19-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm finding Kornheiser to be very annoying and wish ESPN would just yank him out of the booth already. I kind of like PTI during halftime though. Tirico is good, and so is Jaws although a few times he drops the ball big-time. Wouldn't mind seeing how a former defensive player in the booth, like say Eric Allen or Darren Woodson, would fare. Or former head coach Dick Vermeil would be great if he's up to a full season.

The best booth ever was Mike Tirico and Kirk Herbstreit on Thursday Night College Football, if it was up to me, I'd reunite those two for MNF. That would be great.

MetSox17
08-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Oh hell no. Dan Le Batard is the most obnoxious ESPN personality out there by far.

I've come around on LeRetard, he's actually a lot better than he gets credit for. There's a ton of guys on ESPN that are way more annoying and idiotic than Dan. Skip, Golic, Trey Wingo, Marrioti, Plaschke, Schlereth.. the list goes on.

CJSchneider
08-19-2008, 11:45 AM
You cant be serious...really bring back Dennis Miller!!!!! heck no!

Dennis Miller on NFL...classic. Dennis Miller on MNF is about as intelligent as wiping your *** before you take a ****. Half of America had no idea what he was talking about because the didn't get his jokes; he was talking over people's heads.

Dam8610
08-19-2008, 11:59 AM
There's no indifferent option? Jaws is good, Tirico is okay (has a hint of Al Michaels to him), and Kornheiser sucks. Could improve, but meh.

Rjspartan
08-19-2008, 12:00 PM
i hate kornheiser

Iamcanadian
08-19-2008, 01:17 PM

I absolutely hate it when they have to script what Kornheiser says so he can be part of the team. I swear they have a writer for him who gives Korn the information he comments on. He is completely lost in a booth with people who actually know pro football. As long as he's on MNF, I be doing something else unless the game itself is a must see.

yourfavestoner
08-19-2008, 01:55 PM
As long as they dont put Deanna Favre in the booth and turn it into an episode of The View again I'll be fine. I've heard much worse commentating in my life.

Brodeur
08-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Collinsworth isn't as bad as people in this thread are making him out to be. Gus Johnson is the awesome of commentators when it comes to football (or basketball for that matter), though.

yourfavestoner
08-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Collinsworth isn't as bad as people in this thread are making him out to be. Gus Johnson is the awesome of commentators when it comes to football (or basketball for that matter), though.

Collinsworth is very, very knowledgeable. However, he comes across very smug and pompous, and I think that turns a lot of people off to him.

keylime_5
08-19-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm okay with Jaws. Kornheiser is terrible on MNF. I love Tony on PTI though, but he is not in his element as a color man for football games, sorry. Bring back OJ! lol

Staubach12
08-19-2008, 08:02 PM
I hate the random interviews! No one cares that kid rock has a new album out! There is a football game going on!

hockey619
08-19-2008, 08:16 PM
the problem with announcing now a days is that the analysts have to big of egos and feel the need to talk after every play to justify there job titles as "football experts." What they need is a good color commentator, i personally have no problem with Al Michaels or the MNF guy whos name escapes me for now, and a guy who pipes in after every couple of plays to point out a trend or something.

kalbears13
08-19-2008, 08:21 PM
the problem with announcing now a days is that the analysts have to big of egos and feel the need to talk after every play to justify there job titles as "football experts." What they need is a good color commentator, i personally have no problem with Al Michaels or the MNF guy whos name escapes me for now, and a guy who pipes in after every couple of plays to point out a trend or something.

You're thinking of a Play-by-Play announcer who talk about facts. We're talking about color commentators who try to have an opinion on the game. I would actually be happy if you could turn off just the commentators and just listen to the play by plays.

hockey619
08-19-2008, 08:29 PM
yeah i messed something up in there. thats what i was kind of getting at, like old games where it was just one guy talking about what was going on, thats the good stuff. play by play is pretty standard and hard to screw up, its the other idiot in the box with the PBP guy that wont shut up that gets annoying. They have that guy there to make the game more accessible to the average fan, but to people like the ones on here who follow the game closely, what they have to say is very annoying and sounds very arrogant, like they have knowledge about the game that us little people could never comprehend....

kalbears13
08-19-2008, 09:00 PM
yeah i messed something up in there. thats what i was kind of getting at, like old games where it was just one guy talking about what was going on, thats the good stuff. play by play is pretty standard and hard to screw up, its the other idiot in the box with the PBP guy that wont shut up that gets annoying. They have that guy there to make the game more accessible to the average fan, but to people like the ones on here who follow the game closely, what they have to say is very annoying and sounds very arrogant, like they have knowledge about the game that us little people could never comprehend....

I guess you could see it as getting less knowledgeable people to watch the game. It's not like the knowledgeable football fans are going to not watch a game because of a commentator.

TheBuffaloBills
08-19-2008, 09:58 PM
I saw this book at barnes and noble..... And just flat out laughed

http://site.steelcityauctions.com/tony.jpg

diesel
08-27-2008, 12:21 PM
They are terrible, if I have to hear about golf one more time while watching a football game I will stab someone in the heart. Aikman, like it or not knows what he's talking about and will not hold back on calling out a terrible play. Madden is by far the most entertaining to listen to... "Here's a guy that when he has his helmet on, he tackles better."

TheBuffaloBills
08-27-2008, 01:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TLG_LtWhj4

Chris Berman having a bad day....

Geo
08-27-2008, 01:37 PM
This past Monday, without Kornheiser in the booth, was so much better.

BlindSite
08-27-2008, 06:12 PM
I would like to see Aikman, Joe Buck and Tirico.

kalbears13
08-27-2008, 08:28 PM
I like listening to Bernie Kosar for Cleveland because he always sounds like he's drunk and hes not afraid of saying "That was a horrible decision by the quarterback and a lousy throw too." It always gives me a good laugh.

Menardo75
08-27-2008, 11:15 PM
They are not bad I really like Tirico

eaglesfan_45
08-27-2008, 11:16 PM
I voted Love Them just to go against the crowd because honestly I don't care

yourfavestoner
08-27-2008, 11:43 PM

How rebellious of you.

Mr.Regular
08-27-2008, 11:47 PM
watch out kids, looks like we've got a rebel on our hands...

I love Kornheiser on PTI, and used to force myself to pretend to like him in the booth but it has worn thin. He's way too annoying. His whole "I represent the casual fan and say stupid stuff" thing just plain pisses me off now. I like Tirico and Jaws. The main reason for me liking Jaws in the booth is because if he's in there, I know this man isn't....and we can all thank god for that.
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2007/03/26/PH2007032602085.jpg
PS Anyone else notice Theisman wore way to much makeup. He looked like a mannequin... and you dont want your football expert in the booth looking like a doll, thats for sure.

eaglesfan_45
08-27-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm a rebel fo sho! Go UNLV!!

yourfavestoner
08-27-2008, 11:53 PM
I hate Joe Theismann more than any other commentator. He's a ******* idiot.

Geo
08-28-2008, 12:27 AM
Joe Theismann is reason alone for the existence of the mute button, except that sucks because you can't hear the game. I hate that nimrod.

The best thing Kornheiser did was get him bounced.