PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On Trent Edwards?

bigbluedefense
08-19-2008, 12:34 PM
What do you think of Trent Edwards? I think he's the real deal. I like how he moves in the pocket, how he makes reads, he makes good decisions, throws a decent ball, and throws accurately.

I don't know if he'll establish himself as a top 5 guy or anything, but I think Buffalo got themselves a very good qb, and a steal in the 3rd round.

Any naysayers?

I also think Buffalo has a very good team on the come up. They built it up the right way, through the draft with their youth, and theyre maybe 2 years away from being a legit contender.

diabsoule
08-19-2008, 12:37 PM
From what I saw of Trent last year, I think he can turn into the real thing. I like the way he moves his feet in the pocket, he keeps his head on a swivel and his constantly looking for the open man, and he can zip the ball in there if he wants to.

Now, I'm not saying his the second coming of Joe Montana, he's not even close, but if you give him a solid running game (check) and a couple of dependable receivers who can make plays (check) then I think he'll flourish. The only thing missing in Buffalo which I think he could greatly benefit from is a top notch TE.

bigbluedefense
08-19-2008, 12:40 PM
From what I saw of Trent last year, I think he can turn into the real thing. I like the way he moves his feet in the pocket, he keeps his head on a swivel and his constantly looking for the open man, and he can zip the ball in there if he wants to.

Now, I'm not saying his the second coming of Joe Montana, he's not even close, but if you give him a solid running game (check) and a couple of dependable receivers who can make plays (check) then I think he'll flourish. The only thing missing in Buffalo which I think he could greatly benefit from is a top notch TE.

ditto.

Buffalo is a TE, and a playmaker on the dline (whether its a DT or DE) away from being a legit contender. They might not even need 2 years, they can nab that in this upcoming draft or FA.

Buffalo should go after Julius Peppers in FA.

Smooth Criminal
08-19-2008, 01:07 PM
I agree that Buffalo is a very good team with alot of potential.

On Edwards, I can see him developing into a very good QB, esspecially with the weapons around him. Hes got a very good group of guys to work with.

Iamcanadian
08-19-2008, 01:10 PM
I hope the games in Toronto provide Buffalo with enough money to retain its FA's somethinmg it has been unable to do in the past. This team has a lot of potential but it won't mean much if they have to let a few top FA's leave. That has always been Buffalo's problem since FA began.

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-19-2008, 01:25 PM
I really liked him in college and he seems to be doing well in the NFL now.

niel89
08-19-2008, 01:29 PM
i really wanted the ravens to pick him up during the draft. he is going to be a solid qb. he's not going to elite but i think he will develop in to a franchise qb

princefielder28
08-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Trent Edwards can be a David Garrard type QB; he manages the game, doesn't put his team in awkward situations, and has the ability to make a play when asked to do. He can be a richer man's Garrard and potentially Top 8 QB in the league.

Malaka
08-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Trent Edwards can be a David Garrard type QB; he manages the game, doesn't put his team in awkward situations, and has the ability to make a play when asked to do. He can be a richer man's Garrard and potentially Top 8 QB in the league.

I think he can be more of a Matt Hasselback QB, very smart QB who doesn't make many mistakes, Garrard and Hasselback are similar, but Hasselback is more of a leader and makes more plays than Garrard, I think Edwards will be like that.

TheBuffaloBills
08-19-2008, 03:45 PM
I like this Edwards kid alot....... Just a very smart and aware quaterback for his age..... He sounds like a doctor and a perfections during interviews....

I have heard rumors that we are locking up Evans soon....

Even though it was a preseason game, it sounded like the Bills had to buy up a lot of tickets..... Scalper's were selling the 225 dollar tickets for 10 dollars...

bored of education
08-19-2008, 03:47 PM
I think he has 'it' along with the physical attributes to be a successful QB in the NFL. It might take a full year as a starter to prove it.

BufFan71
08-19-2008, 03:52 PM
wow, im a bills fan, and im the only one who doesnt like him

TheBuffaloBills
08-19-2008, 03:54 PM
wow, im a bills fan, and im the only one who doesnt like him

Are you on the Losman bandwagon?

BufFan71
08-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Are you on the Losman bandwagon?

no, im on neither bandwagon
neither imo are the future, i also hate game-managing QB's

keylime_5
08-19-2008, 04:04 PM
If he can stay healthy and if they can continue to build the receivers and OLine units around him he can be a very good QB, he has the pedigree from what I can tell.

princefielder28
08-19-2008, 04:18 PM
I think he can be more of a Matt Hasselback QB, very smart QB who doesn't make many mistakes, Garrard and Hasselback are similar, but Hasselback is more of a leader and makes more plays than Garrard, I think Edwards will be like that.

thus a richer's man David Garrad....like to see we're on the same page

Malaka
08-19-2008, 04:20 PM
thus a richer's man David Garrad....like to see we're on the same page

Exactly, that is what Trent will most likely become because of his intelligence, and although he doesn't have a great arm, he makes up for it with his accuracy.

BufFan71
08-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Exactly, that is what Trent will most likely become because of his intelligence, and although he doesn't have a great arm, he makes up for it with his accuracy.

he had like a 53% completion percent

princefielder28
08-19-2008, 04:29 PM
he had like a 53% completion percent

try 56% as a rookie with Lee Evans and then a bunch of little scrubs as his other wideouts, not to mention no threat at TE

Malaka
08-19-2008, 04:33 PM
All rookie Quarterbacks struggle with completion % their first year.

Peyton Manning had a 56% completion rating his rookie year too, so it isn't a problem at all for Trent Edwards.

BlindSite
08-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Carson Palmer is the only QB in the league never to have dropped below 60% completion rate.

1 out of what 32 teams, 3 QBs, 96 QBs, one of them is able to get 60% that wasn't even as a rookie.

Edwards is right on track, not this season but the next one, imo probowl.

BuddyCHRIST
08-19-2008, 05:12 PM
I like him and I did in college too but I'm also a big Losman fan and wish Buffalo wouldn't have given up on him. He played very well in his 3rd year especially with a lack of talent to catch the ball outside of Lee Evans (who isn't exactly a safety net type of reciever). If he wouldn't have gotten injured he would still be the starting QB imo and I really hate seeing a guy who I think could be an excellent QB in the league as a backup in his prime. Especially with the way he's matured and answered the attitude concerns he had coming out and he's handled the Edwards thing very maturely.

Shiver
08-19-2008, 05:20 PM
I don't see it. I think Edwards will be an average at best QB, and readily replaceable. There seems to be a lot of optimism about his pro career that isn't supported by empirical evidence.

Rob S
08-19-2008, 05:27 PM
I actually said he would be the best QB outta that draft......we'll see, but he is starting off well. I will just sit back and enjoy the bills love now haha. It feels so good not sucking.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Edwards is right on track, not this season but the next one, imo probowl.

keep dreaming......hahahahahaha

bigbluedefense
08-19-2008, 06:12 PM
i could care less about stats, completion %, or any of that. John Elway had a career completion % of 56.9, so how important is it really?

when i evaluate quarterbacks, first and foremost, the first thing i look for is his ability to read defenses. i think that is the most important aspect of the qb position. then decision making, both pre snap and post snap, placement, pocket presence, and the undefineable "it" and clutchness.

I was very impressed with Edwards as a rookie, and how he was able to grasp NFL defenses so well as a rookie. he made good decisions, he made reads, threw accurately, had good pocket presence, he just looked comfortable out there.

My one knock on him was his complacency with checking down. I felt he did that too much his rookie year. However, as he gets more comfortable in the system and with the guys around him, it seems like he's much more willing to throw it downfield, and he'll improve this year in that aspect of his game.

He's not there yet, but he's going to be a very good qb. He has all the requirements by my estimation of what it takes to succeed in this league. I could care less about his stats, watch him play. He's going to be solid.

bigbluedefense
08-19-2008, 06:17 PM
As for JP Lossman, he was the opposite of Edwards. All he did was stare down Evans and chuck it deep to him. While he was the more "explosive" qb last year compared to Edwards bc of his willingness to take more risks downfield, he was also far less consistent. He did not grasp defenses the way Edwards does, and he has 3 years experience on Edwards. JP has the physical tools, but not the mental ones.

While Edwards might not have the best deep ball, he makes up for it in other areas. Buffalo should design a WCO around him.

PoopSandwich
08-19-2008, 06:27 PM
no, im on neither bandwagon
neither imo are the future, i also hate game-managing QB's

Yeah, I see him as one of those QB's that will never do anything special to win a game, but won't really ever make that mistake to lose a game.

I was never impressed with him last year, but he was a rookie, and he played pretty decent considering that.

If the Bills can get a bit better around him then he should end up fine.

diabsoule
08-19-2008, 06:30 PM
As for JP Lossman, he was the opposite of Edwards. All he did was stare down Evans and chuck it deep to him. While he was the more "explosive" qb last year compared to Edwards bc of his willingness to take more risks downfield, he was also far less consistent. He did not grasp defenses the way Edwards does, and he has 3 years experience on Edwards. JP has the physical tools, but not the mental ones.

While Edwards might not have the best deep ball, he makes up for it in other areas. Buffalo should design a WCO around him.

Exactly. Edwards best fit is a WCO. I think that his WR's could fit into a WCO designed specifically for him. I also agree with you point about Edwards checking down too early last year. He seemed not to want to risk chucking it deep but it could also have to do with the coverages he saw. But before Buffalo can become a perennial contender like they were in the early 90s they need to get a gangsta TE and a playmaker on the D-Line, like you mentioned earlier. They do have Aaron Schobel, which is helpful, but they need a better play opposite him. Chris Ellis could potentially be that player but we'll have to wait until next year, I feel, to see how he develops.
Derek Fine could be the TE that they are looking for, but the key words are could be, but I don't think he is.

SuperMcGee
08-19-2008, 06:30 PM
It feels so good not sucking.

When did this start?

Yes, his work in the pocket is something I love about him. The accuracy is on for the most part, his decision making is kind of iffy but he's not being offered much.
I have to disagree with diab about him having a couple of reliable receivers. He has about an 80% reliable receiver and two very good receiving backs. Hardy, Parrish, and Royal are quite unreliable, and Reed just is not that good. He never did anything with Schouman, who is hurt now (and most other times) anyway. His receivers aren't something that's helping him much.
A high quality receiving TE would do wonders for him, absolutely. But the Bills haven't had one of those since...

Paranoidmoonduck
08-19-2008, 06:46 PM
I was a big supporter of Edwards coming out of Stanford. In terms of what I look for the way a quarterback handles himself, I thought he was right there with Brady Quinn.

I only caught a couple of his games last year, but I liked what I saw. Patient approach, solid approach to his reads, and seemingly no loss of the physical tools despite that pounding he took while at Stanford. I still think it was silly that Edwards fell so far behind guys like Kolb and Beck, and I think the Bills made a great move.

Malaka
08-19-2008, 06:56 PM
I was a big supporter of Edwards coming out of Stanford. In terms of what I look for the way a quarterback handles himself, I thought he was right there with Brady Quinn.

I only caught a couple of his games last year, but I liked what I saw. Patient approach, solid approach to his reads, and seemingly no loss of the physical tools despite that pounding he took while at Stanford. I still think it was silly that Edwards fell so far behind guys like Kolb and Beck, and I think the Bills made a great move.

I agree 100% that he should have been chosen before Jon Beck, the Dolphins made a horrible pick by picking Jon Beck. We will have to wait and see with Kolb though, I think Kolb can be a very good QB same with Trent Edwards, but we will need to wait to see who becomes better.

kalbears13
08-19-2008, 08:18 PM
I loved him in college. If the Browns didn't pick Brady Quinn, I hoped they would pick Trent Edwards. Everything he did was with nothing.

PACKmanN
08-19-2008, 08:41 PM
ditto.

Buffalo is a TE, and a playmaker on the dline (whether its a DT or DE) away from being a legit contender. They might not even need 2 years, they can nab that in this upcoming draft or FA.

Buffalo should go after Julius Peppers in FA.

No need for Peppers, imo Schobel and Stroud can provided the elite d-line, and if McCargo develops right, they will have a great front 4.

BlindSite
08-19-2008, 09:18 PM
He will not be on the market any way.

diabsoule
08-19-2008, 09:37 PM
No need for Peppers, imo Schobel and Stroud can provided the elite d-line, and if McCargo develops right, they will have a great front 4.

Schobel, Stroud, McCargo, and Ellis

If McCargo and Ellis can develop right then the Bills would have a really good D-Line.

Brent
08-19-2008, 09:56 PM
I dont know how he didnt beat the Cowboys last year. That was ridiculous. They had so many chances.

TheBuffaloBills
08-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Wow.... you guys jinxed Trent with this thread

He suffered a quad contusion today at practice by running into Lynch.....

08-19-2008, 10:23 PM
I like this Edwards kid alot....... Just a very smart and aware quaterback for his age..... He sounds like a doctor and a perfections during interviews....

Trent Edwards is soo fly dudee ! Anyways what's wrong with a game-managing QB when you have Marshawn and a great defense behind you ?? Stupid .

niel89
08-20-2008, 03:57 AM
Wow.... you guys jinxed Trent with this thread

He suffered a quad contusion today at practice by running into Lynch.....

damn marshawn and his hit and runs. :)

BufFan71
08-20-2008, 08:15 AM
I dont know how he didnt beat the Cowboys last year. That was ridiculous. They had so many chances.

6 turnovers by the dallas offense and we still couldnt score any TDs

Rob S
08-20-2008, 02:10 PM
For those knocking his deep ball, I think he has one. See his bomb to Evans last year. Also, he has added like 15 lbs. of muscle in the offseason so his arm will only get stronger. Now, he is never going to be Favre slinging it down the field or even Losman for that matter. But, he can chuck it about average imo.

Burns336
08-20-2008, 04:04 PM
I don't like Edwards. I personally like Losman better. He has ability that plays to Lee Evans strength, and if given the chance again (now with a big possession guy in Hardy and a beast running back in Lynch) I think he could succeed. He just needed to be a little smarter with his decisions -- In his defense, I feel like Losman felt the need to win games on his own and was taking a lot of risks to do what was necessary. He just needs to break that frame of mind now that he is surrounded by some talent.

Edwards looks like a ***** out there. I hate QB's that check down. I'd rather have a guy who throws a few picks trying to hit someone deep than a guy who just checks down over and over again. This is the same reason why I don't like Aaron Rodgers. Lucky for Roders, his offense is set up for short passes. Edwards has a lot of vertical routes and doesn't rely nearly as much on the YAC by his guys.

Eagles own the NFC East
08-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Does he have the tools to be a starting QB or is he just better then J.P. Losman?

BufFan71
08-20-2008, 04:55 PM
to Eagles Own the NFC East

he is never going to be anything more than a game-manager

bigbluedefense
08-20-2008, 06:11 PM
There is nothing wrong with being a game manager. Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers won a SB with him being a game manager. Whats wrong with that?

Thats all you need. A game manager who can make plays in the clutch. You don't need a Dan Marino to be a great team. Thats the most overrated aspect of being a quarterback, and one of the many reasons why i hate stats.

As for Edwards limitations, we do realize that he was just a rookie right? Compare his rookie year and how he looked to a lot of other qbs in this league, and he was very impressive. He's going to grow into his role and get better, he was just a rookie. Give him time.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't improve this year compared to last year. He'll make strides, in 2 years he'll be a very solid quarterback. It doesn't happen overnight.

BufFan71
08-20-2008, 06:25 PM
There is nothing wrong with being a game manager. Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers won a SB with him being a game manager. Whats wrong with that?

Thats all you need. A game manager who can make plays in the clutch. You don't need a Dan Marino to be a great team. Thats the most overrated aspect of being a quarterback, and one of the many reasons why i hate stats.

As for Edwards limitations, we do realize that he was just a rookie right? Compare his rookie year and how he looked to a lot of other qbs in this league, and he was very impressive. He's going to grow into his role and get better, he was just a rookie. Give him time.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't improve this year compared to last year. He'll make strides, in 2 years he'll be a very solid quarterback. It doesn't happen overnight.

edwards wasnt impressive

if u consider not getting into the endzone after 6 dallas turnovers, and throwing an INT that nearly went for a TD if Evans wasnt so fast.

u consider the fact he threw 7 touchdowns in 9 games. 4 of them coming against the dolphins in one game. He also threw 9ints.

and for being a *accurate* QB, he sure did have a low completion percentage. Lower than losmans.

the only reason Edwards looked decent to people is because during the dallas game the commentators praised him like he was the next big thing. When in reality:
hes a proven loser. Was one in college
5-4 as a starter. One of those wins Losman came into the game and won it. so in reality hes 4-4.

idk, i just dont like edwards. Hes injury prone, weak arm and checks down WAY too much.

if he proves me wrong, hey ill be happy, until then. our 1st round pick should be on a QB

SuperMcGee
08-20-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't like Edwards. I personally like Losman better. He has ability that plays to Lee Evans strength, and if given the chance again (now with a big possession guy in Hardy and a beast running back in Lynch) I think he could succeed. He just needed to be a little smarter with his decisions -- In his defense, I feel like Losman felt the need to win games on his own and was taking a lot of risks to do what was necessary. He just needs to break that frame of mind now that he is surrounded by some talent.

Edwards looks like a ***** out there. I hate QB's that check down. I'd rather have a guy who throws a few picks trying to hit someone deep than a guy who just checks down over and over again. This is the same reason why I don't like Aaron Rodgers. Lucky for Roders, his offense is set up for short passes. Edwards has a lot of vertical routes and doesn't rely nearly as much on the YAC by his guys.

Turk Schonert = what you think we should be doing (with Edwards) but think we're not.

Bengalsrocket
08-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Completion %age and accuracy are not related at all though. It also matters on what your definition of accurate is I suppose. The way I see it, some people are defining accuracy as just the ability to complete pases. Other people are defining it as the ability to fit the ball anywhere on the field (as in, you could hit a guy between the numbers mid-stride). Either way though, completion %age doesn't tell you the pressure the QB got, the number of times the receivers ran the wrong route (or dropped a pass) and it certainly doesn't explain the situation the QB was in (for example, a QB down by 14 points can't just throw the check down every time he's in trouble, because he needs to make plays).

Anyways, as far as Trent Edwards goes - I think its a little pre-mature to judge his career status already. None of us know if this guy has what it takes to be a franchise QB or not, however his performance thus far has been good enough to get him the opportunity to prove that he can be a franchise QB in my opinion.

bigbluedefense
08-20-2008, 08:15 PM
edwards wasnt impressive

if u consider not getting into the endzone after 6 dallas turnovers, and throwing an INT that nearly went for a TD if Evans wasnt so fast.

u consider the fact he threw 7 touchdowns in 9 games. 4 of them coming against the dolphins in one game. He also threw 9ints.

and for being a *accurate* QB, he sure did have a low completion percentage. Lower than losmans.

the only reason Edwards looked decent to people is because during the dallas game the commentators praised him like he was the next big thing. When in reality:
hes a proven loser. Was one in college
5-4 as a starter. One of those wins Losman came into the game and won it. so in reality hes 4-4.

idk, i just dont like edwards. Hes injury prone, weak arm and checks down WAY too much.

if he proves me wrong, hey ill be happy, until then. our 1st round pick should be on a QB

like i said, i was impressed with his ability as a rookie to make reads, feel the pocket, and throw accurately most of the time.

he was just a rookie, give him time. lossman can't read defenses, Edwards can. ill take him over Lossman any day of the week. i will be shocked if Edwards doesn't make big strides this year.

niel89
08-20-2008, 08:25 PM
he was a proven loser in college? he played for stanford. their talent level is terrible.

BufFan71
08-20-2008, 09:28 PM
he was a proven loser in college? he played for stanford. their talent level is terrible.

so wat does that mean that he was playing there

princefielder28
08-20-2008, 09:29 PM

ok? like that makes sense? you know as bad as some coaches are at recruting sometimes they get it right

niel89
08-21-2008, 01:53 AM

the coaches got one right. stanford really brings in little talent because they have tough educational standards. iirc his last year his team got hit with a huge injury bug too.

Flyboy
08-21-2008, 03:01 AM

Yeah, throwing INTs is such a smart decision... yep. That's how you WIN games.

giantsfan
08-21-2008, 11:15 AM
What do you think of Trent Edwards? I think he's the real deal. I like how he moves in the pocket, how he makes reads, he makes good decisions, throws a decent ball, and throws accurately.

I don't know if he'll establish himself as a top 5 guy or anything, but I think Buffalo got themselves a very good qb, and a steal in the 3rd round.

Any naysayers?

I also think Buffalo has a very good team on the come up. They built it up the right way, through the draft with their youth, and theyre maybe 2 years away from being a legit contender.

And he always gets the ball out quick which is another thing I like about him. I think the bills make the playoffs this season with trent under center.

giantsfan
08-21-2008, 11:40 AM

Reading this it doesn't seem like you've seen much of either QB. Losman didn't just force balls deep because he felt he had to win things himself, he forced deep balls because he just locked onto evans and just refused to throw anything less than 20 yards.

Edwards may look like a ***** to you, but he's showing all of the positive things you want form a young QB, good pocket presence, decision making, accuracy and footwork. He got the ball out quick and moved the offense down the field. As a rookie he was extremely impressive and you can only expect improvement as he has a good arm, maybe not a great arm like JP, but atleast he realized he had more than one receiver to throw to and he was allowed to throw more than just bombs.