PDA

View Full Version : Myron Rolle- FSU

Big_Pete
08-19-2008, 06:55 PM
What kind of pro prospect is Myron Rolle?

He seems a bit of an enigma, can anyone give me some more information on him?

Will his medical studies impact his draft status? (particularly if he gets the Oxford scholarship)

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-19-2008, 07:03 PM
What kind of pro prospect is Myron Rolle?
Not a very good one.

BamaFalcon59
08-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Overrated by the public, underrated on these boards.

Staubach12
08-19-2008, 07:52 PM
He is underrated here, I'll give him that. His medical studies are a bit of a concern for me.

CashmoneyDrew
08-19-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm surprised YFS hasn't commented in here yet...

rockio42
08-19-2008, 10:18 PM
In my opinion, if you are making a mock this early then he should be in the first round...albiet late because of his supposed lack of speed and coverage skills. I'm a pretty big FSU fan and really hope and think this guy will turn it up this year and will come out and play in the NFL, and will be a late 1st round pick

yourfavestoner
08-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Myron Rolle is ******* terrible. He's slow and he has poor coverage instincts. Just about the only thing he does well is make tackles 7 or 8 yards down the field.

Too slow to be a safety, not physical enough to be a linebacker. Third rounder, at best.

LonghornsLegend
08-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Overrated by the public, underrated on these boards.

That pretty much sums it up.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
08-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Yea he is not this godly prospect but then again he is no slouch either. Probably a 2nd rounder that has chances at first.

America
08-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Myron Rolle is ******* terrible. He's slow and he has poor coverage instincts. Just about the only thing he does well is make tackles 7 or 8 yards down the field.

Too slow to be a safety, not physical enough to be a linebacker. Third rounder, at best.

I wouldn't say a third rounder is ******* terrible. His not as poor of an athlete as people on the boards make him out to be. He dominated high school football for 4 years and played all over the place. He's got loads of potential if a pro trainer can get his speed/COD better.

BamaFalcon59
08-19-2008, 10:39 PM
I say he is either a poor mans Roy Williams (not the recent, fat Roy Williams but the young one) or Thomas Davis.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-19-2008, 10:46 PM
Personally, I see nothing in Rolle's college career to place him inside the first two rounds of the NFL draft (I'm not even sure I see enough to place him in the first five rounds). That said, we all know the kid is wicked smart and has great physical ability. If he can turn in the kind of year he's capable of, then he's a real threat to make waves in the draft. But until then, he's really not even that great of a college safety.

yourfavestoner
08-20-2008, 12:41 AM
I say he is either a poor mans Roy Williams (not the recent, fat Roy Williams but the young one) or Thomas Davis.

Think along the line of Darnell Bing without the production.

etk
08-20-2008, 12:49 AM
The next Darnell Bing?

EDIT: Whoa I should've read more than the first 5 responses. Just ignore this post.

He's too slow to be a high pick, regardless of what he's done on the field.

YAYareaRB
08-20-2008, 12:58 AM
Darnell Bing?

etk
08-20-2008, 01:09 AM
Darnell Bing?

Are you mocking me or are you questioning the comparison, or something else? I'm confused.

diabsoule
08-20-2008, 01:11 AM
Darnell Bing?

I remember Darnell Bing.

BRAVEHEART
08-20-2008, 01:38 AM
Darnell Bing was the man.

d34ng3l021
08-20-2008, 03:28 AM
His medical studies are a bit of a concern for me.

lol. Only on football forums...only football forums.

Personally, I think he should pursue his studies, and thats not because I think he is a bad prospect. Even if he was as good a prospect as the public makes him out to be, I think I would rather receive an impact out of his medical studies as oppose to the entertainment he would bring fans.

But man. I had no idea people like that actually existed. To be such a highly touted recruit, have a 4.0 in HS, start for one of the more prestigious college football teams, and have a chance to pursue a medical degree or something in Oxford. Good for him.

eaglesfan_45
08-20-2008, 03:35 AM
Intelligence is something teams rate very highly and Myron has no shortage of that. He has some really good triangle numbers and while they fall well short of Taylor Mays projected numbers, they are still better than most SS's that come out. All he needs to do is have a good year this year and he could easily go rd.1. Also remember that he is only a Junior so he doesn't have to come out this year.

ATLDirtyBirds
08-20-2008, 05:19 AM
I've always liked him, but he really hasn't done too much to be a first rounder. I'm hoping he steps it up this year.

BaLLiN
08-20-2008, 05:59 AM
Darnell Bing the safety from USC that went to the Oakland raiders and i think was put at LB and moved back and forth from LB and S right?

eaglesalltheway
08-20-2008, 06:59 AM
His medical studies are a bit of a concern for me.

Ummm, how? Seriously, how can you find a negative in being one fo the most intelligent CFB players? I understand being down on him due to his play, but his intelligence will do nothing but help him. This just baffles me. Do you mean you are concerned he will go to Oxford instead of the NFL, and that will lower his draft stock? Because if you are saying solely that him being involved in medical studies is a concern, that makes littel to no sense at all.

BuddyCHRIST
08-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Obviously people are concerned because he wants to be a doctor and could leave the NFL or not have his heart in the game 100%, no one is ragging on him because he is intelligent. I had Physics 2 with him and he made 100's on about everything so I really wouldn't be suprised if he passed on the NFL or didn't play long because he is definitely into his school work. As a prospect he's definitely overrated in the public as he's really just a solid tackling safety who won't make a whole lot of big plays and lacks speed.

etk
08-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Intelligence is something teams rate very highly and Myron has no shortage of that. He has some really good triangle numbers and while they fall well short of Taylor Mays projected numbers, they are still better than most SS's that come out. All he needs to do is have a good year this year and he could easily go rd.1. Also remember that he is only a Junior so he doesn't have to come out this year.

I suspect his 40 is in the 4.6 range....so his triangle numbers are not great.

But yes, intelligence is important at the safety position, but all the FSU fans insist he has mental lapses in coverage and doesn't know the playbook well enough. Obviously he is capable of learning and absorbing information, but he has to apply it to football for it to count on the field.

Iamcanadian
08-20-2008, 02:38 PM
It's ludicrous to judge this guy this early in his career. Many, many young college playrs have average seasons only to go on to be very early #1 draft picks. Florida St. fans should be looking at their coaching staff which cannot seem to get anybody to play well enough to contend for the ACC championship even though Florida St. seems to out recruit every other ACC school every year.
Rolle will be a very solid prospect when he declares if he has real interest in playing pro ball which I'm sure he will. College ball really doesn't allow too many top students in real hard fields to have the time to graduate with top marks. Rolle may not be able to give 100% to college football and still meet his expectations of graduating as a doctor with a Rhoads Scholarship. College football hasn't been designed to help top students graduate with top marks, in fact the opposite is true. College football has really been designed to graduate around 60% of its players, many taking absurdly easy courses to stay eligible, so Rolle may well be a better pro than a college player if he intends to graduate as a doctor. After he graduates, he will have a lot more time to give to pro football.

eaglesfan_45
08-20-2008, 02:57 PM
I suspect his 40 is in the 4.6 range....so his triangle numbers are not great.

But yes, intelligence is important at the safety position, but all the FSU fans insist he has mental lapses in coverage and doesn't know the playbook well enough. Obviously he is capable of learning and absorbing information, but he has to apply it to football for it to count on the field.

Well, one reason for that, is that he is so focused on school that he doesn't have time to really memorize the playbook, I think that if he applied himself on the field he could be really good.

Also his triangle numbers I think are going to be about 6'2" 218 lbs. and a 4.5 40 yard dash. Those are some pretty good triangle numbers. The thing is that he won't get credit for those with Taylor Mays (6'4"-230-4.4), William Moore (6'1"-226-4.4) and Kam Chancellor (6'4"-224-4.5). Then there are more guys with good triangle numbers like Courtney Greene and Nic Harris.

Staubach12
08-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Darnell Bing the safety from USC that went to the Oakland raiders and i think was put at LB and moved back and forth from LB and S right?

Yes, that one. It's an okay comparison, actually. A bit better than him IMO, but still fair.

BuddyCHRIST
08-21-2008, 11:37 AM
It's not too early in his career to judge him because he's pretty much started for 2 full years. And his problem isn't his knowledge of the defense or smarts back there I think it's just his overall feel for the game, his reactions and the way he takes angles are poor and make his lack of speed even more pronounced. One thing he is, is an excellent tackler and will not miss any if he is in position though he doesn't light up people like highly touted safeties in the past have.

A Perfect Score
08-22-2008, 12:29 AM
Yes, that one. It's an okay comparison, actually. A bit better than him IMO, but still fair.

Darnell Bing accomplished MUCH more in his college career then Myron Rolle has...Bing had production to burn. He was just dumb as a post. lol something Myron clearly has no problems with.

If he is as smart as people say and as serious about his schoolwork, then there is no way he forgoes graduating and goes pro early anyways, which gives him 2 more seasons to perfect his game if he chooses football. Also, there is always the possibility of him becoming a doctor AFTER football, which im sure he has thought about. Bottom line, i cant see him declaring this year.

but IF by some unknown reason he did...at best, high 2nd, worst, high 4th IMO

CashmoneyDrew
08-22-2008, 01:22 AM
Darnell Bing accomplished MUCH more in his college career then Myron Rolle has...Bing had production to burn. He was just dumb as a post. lol something Myron clearly has no problems with.

If he is as smart as people say and as serious about his schoolwork, then there is no way he forgoes graduating and goes pro early anyways, which gives him 2 more seasons to perfect his game if he chooses football. Also, there is always the possibility of him becoming a doctor AFTER football, which im sure he has thought about. Bottom line, i cant see him declaring this year.

but IF by some unknown reason he did...at best, high 2nd, worst, high 4th IMO

He's probably on track to graduate early anyways.

vatech=accdomination
08-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Rolle ran a 4.62 at FSU last spring.

Sniper
08-22-2008, 08:12 AM

I think he's already graduated. I'm pretty sure he was on pace to graduate in 2 1/2 years.

Sniper
08-22-2008, 08:14 AM
I think Rolle is going to break out in terms of production this year. He's had the chance to train in Tallahassee this summer instead of touring England and barely having the chance to train anywhere. I really would not be surprised to see him have a monster year.

Malaka
08-23-2008, 11:43 AM
I think Rolle is going to break out in terms of production this year. He's had the chance to train in Tallahassee this summer instead of touring England and barely having the chance to train anywhere. I really would not be surprised to see him have a monster year.

Exactly how I feel, if Myron Rolle has a great season with 4-5 picks, and good number of tackles there is no doubt in my mind he will be a first round pick. Now if he continues his low production he might drop into the third round, but we have to wait and see.

Iamcanadian
08-23-2008, 02:26 PM
It's not too early in his career to judge him because he's pretty much started for 2 full years. And his problem isn't his knowledge of the defense or smarts back there I think it's just his overall feel for the game, his reactions and the way he takes angles are poor and make his lack of speed even more pronounced. One thing he is, is an excellent tackler and will not miss any if he is in position though he doesn't light up people like highly touted safeties in the past have.

H..mmm Carson Palmer started for 3 years and looked to be a 3rd rounder but he developed in his senior year and became the #1 overall pick. There are so many 1st rounders who had a low rating until their junior or senior seasons who made themselves into something as they realized it was their draft year that anybody who tries to judge a player as a sophmore hasn't a clue about the draft and how players develop in college.
Very few freshmen ever start for their college teams especially top college programs. You have to be special to accomplish it. It is simply way too early to judge Rolle as a pro prospect.

iloxygenil
08-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Okay, look guys, you guys hammer the kid constantly, I've not seen this much hate for a player in quite some time. The kid has massive potential, and the ability to be great. He's had some big time flashes of ability. The thing I notice about him the most is he's always around the ball...whether or not he's the one getting credit for tackles or not, he's ALWAYS around the play. you don't see #3 just laying back and not getting in on something, he's always there. Rolle is VASTLY underrated here.

This year I believe he'll easily be able to make a first round grade. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at 6'2 225 and hit the high 4.4s in the 40. You can clown all you want and say he's nothing more than a 4.6 guy...but the only thing that truly matters is how it translates to the field. I believe he's going to have a big season this year. Not many freshman make their way onto the field for Bobby Bowden...this kid did. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Bobby Bowden knows more about football than 100% of people on this board, and say that if he sees the potential and he's seeing enough out of him to put him in the starting lineup as a freshman, maybe he hasn't put up huge numbers at this point in his career, but I have 2 words for ya...Reggie Nelson...this kid was a fringe guy, then balled out his Junior year...many a top prospect has been made in 1 year.

Saints-Tigers
08-23-2008, 07:40 PM
This board was mostly very low on LaRon Landry too, before the combine he was said to have poor timed speed and measurables, and Reggie Nelson was supposed to be a superior prospect. Now he's like the greatest safety prospect since forever.

Thing is, a few people say things, and the rest of the sheep fall in line.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-23-2008, 08:00 PM
This board was mostly very low on LaRon Landry too, before the combine he was said to have poor timed speed and measurables, and Reggie Nelson was supposed to be a superior prospect. Now he's like the greatest safety prospect since forever.

I gotta say, I don't remember this at all. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I remember quite a few people knocking Nelson (myself included) and a lot of people considering Landry to be a better prospect than Michael Huff the year before way before the combine.

Okay, look guys, you guys hammer the kid constantly, I've not seen this much hate for a player in quite some time. The kid has massive potential, and the ability to be great. He's had some big time flashes of ability. The thing I notice about him the most is he's always around the ball...whether or not he's the one getting credit for tackles or not, he's ALWAYS around the play. you don't see #3 just laying back and not getting in on something, he's always there. Rolle is VASTLY underrated here.

Here's the deal though. There's a major difference between being a possible top notch prospect and being on one's way to being a top notch prospect. Players like Darius Heyward-Bey and Myron Rolle are the former. The ability to be great is observed. But there's nothing that Rolle has done on the college level consistently that jives with what we expect from a top notch safety prospect.

Can he do it? Yes. Has he done it? Not even close. Is there reason to expect that he will do it? Not particularly. Just because a guy has talent doesn't mean he'll fulfill it. We just have to wait and see.

...but I have 2 words for ya...Reggie Nelson...this kid was a fringe guy, then balled out his Junior year...many a top prospect has been made in 1 year.

Nelson is a bit different. The guy spent a year at Junior College (redshirting, mind you), started right away at Florida and had a decent sophomore campaign, then blew up in junior year. He was never really a fringe guy, he just got his exposure really late in the process.

Saints-Tigers
08-23-2008, 09:41 PM
I remember it pretty distinctly as an LSU fan, because I remember a large portion questioning his top end speed and measurables, and all I could do was laugh and picture him blitzing like a mad man as he always does :D

BamaFalcon59
08-23-2008, 09:45 PM
I don't think his measurables were questioned. I think his speed was, if I remember correctly. I do remember a lot of Reggie Nelson fans, though.

Saints-Tigers
08-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Yeah, his speed was for sure. My point is, perception is a *****, and Myron Rolle seems to be very piled on right now, but if he produces, then puts up a nice 40 time, no one will ever remember he had speed questions.

Big_Pete
08-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Myron Rolle is a guy I am going to keep an eye on.

There is no doubt about his physical tools.

There is no doubt about his mental abilities.

He has made school a priority and to some extent, his football has suffered a bit - but he has still been somewhat productive despite being very early in his football career.

So I guess it depends on how he shapes up as a pro prospect.

How instinctive is he as a player?

The biggest wildcard is obviously the possible oxford scholarship.

How it all pans out is anyone's guess, but there is plenty of interest in Rolle by NFL Scouts so he has to be a legitimate NFL prospect at this point in time.

Perhaps it is possible for an NFL team to

draftguru151
08-26-2008, 08:18 AM
I gotta say, I don't remember this at all. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I remember quite a few people knocking Nelson (myself included) and a lot of people considering Landry to be a better prospect than Michael Huff the year before way before the combine.

There were a decent amount of fans on the board who liked Nelson over Landry. Definitely not the majority of the board, but there were people.

iloxygenil
08-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Myron is a very instinctive guy, he's permanently around the ball. There's no question about him being able to read a play and get to it. He's just not beating people to the punch yet...however, that's how young players work. Once they are comfortable and settled in they can start knowing when to take risks.

yourfavestoner
08-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Myron is a very instinctive guy, he's permanently around the ball. There's no question about him being able to read a play and get to it. He's just not beating people to the punch yet...however, that's how young players work. Once they are comfortable and settled in they can start knowing when to take risks.

That still doesn't change the fact that he's slower than molasses rolling uphill in the wintertime.

ATLDirtyBirds
08-27-2008, 09:48 AM
I don't think his measurables were questioned. I think his speed was, if I remember correctly. I do remember a lot of Reggie Nelson fans, though.

I was a huge Landry>Nelson guy. A lot of people thought LaRon was going to run a 4.55 40, if I'm remembering correctly.

A Perfect Score
08-27-2008, 10:54 AM
lol @ Nelson over Landry...Landry was always the premier safety prospect and he was a top 10 pick before he ran the 4.35...Nelson on the other hand needed his strong 40 and good pro day to convince scouts he was worthy of being a top 20 pick. Nelson's physical skills and instincts were never questioned, it was his intelligence and his ability to digest and NFL playbook that were. Not the smartest tool in the shed that boy.

Addict
08-27-2008, 11:10 AM
There were a decent amount of fans on the board who liked Nelson over Landry. Definitely not the majority of the board, but there were people.

there's always a few... But they were a very small, ableit loud, minority.

Staubach12
08-27-2008, 03:33 PM

Thing is, a few people say things, and the rest of the sheep fall in line.

You joined September 07...

Saints-Tigers
08-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Yeah, because it is clearly impossible to read the board without joining.

Big_Pete
09-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Where do people think Rolle will end up?

Assuming Mays and Rolle do declare, the 09 safety class will be absolutely loaded. Remember that Moore, Chung, Greene, Hamlin and Harris are arguably in the first round mix as well.

Which teams could be legitimately interested enough to draft Rolle early?

STARHEATHER
09-09-2008, 07:39 PM
i only see one rd 1 safety and provided he stays healthy william moore is the only one who does all the nfl stuff. ive seen mays listed at 6 3 225 4.55 not the supposed sub 4.4 6 4 235 stuff.and he just didnt do anything games as far as playmaking, and he plays like a 4 55 guy. other than moore sans injury i dont see a rd 1 value talent. as for rolle hes just going to be too slow and too much a coverage libility. i only saw one game from last year on tape and i cant say i remember him doing anything special. i dont think hes a big hitter run support type either. i dont like drafting dudes because they have some ability outside being a good nfl player. those type things cloud the judgement and cause mistakes to be made in drafting. the guy from rytgers maybe rd 2-3. the rest pass unless available late.

yourfavestoner
09-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Where do people think Rolle will end up?

Assuming Mays and Rolle do declare, the 09 safety class will be absolutely loaded. Remember that Moore, Chung, Greene, Hamlin and Harris are arguably in the first round mix as well.

Which teams could be legitimately interested enough to draft Rolle early?

None. Right now, he's probably a third rounder at best.

Saints-Tigers
09-12-2008, 05:23 PM

As per Scott Wright... so you know the rest of the site harped on it..

Weaknesses:
Timed speed is only average and he is more quick than fast...Is not overly athletic or fluid...Will miss the occasional tackle while going for the big play...Still has room to develop physically...Will drop some balls...Lacks a burst to recover when beat.

Matthew Jones
09-13-2008, 11:49 AM
Okay, look guys, you guys hammer the kid constantly, I've not seen this much hate for a player in quite some time.

Where were you when Matt Ryan was a prospect?

BamaFalcon59
09-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Where were you when Matt Ryan was a prospect?

He was the primary Matt Ryan hater so he didn't really see it.

iloxygenil
09-13-2008, 05:13 PM
He was the primary Matt Ryan hater so he didn't really see it.

This coming from the primary jackass...how bout that.

I wasn't high on Ryan as a prospect because I didn't like his arm, I didn't like him at the #3 overall pick at all, and I thought that he belonged quite a bit lower in the mid first round, I didn't think Ryan would have been considered as a top 5 pick in either of the previous 2 drafts and that it could be a big mistake to take a 'gamble' on someone at the QB position that early for a team that is trying to rebuild...boy was I wrong. But the biggest prospects get the biggest criticism, Rolle isn't someone people are touting as a top 5 pick.

BamaFalcon59
09-13-2008, 05:16 PM
This coming from the primary jackass...how bout that.

I wasn't high on Ryan as a prospect because I didn't like his arm, I didn't like him at the #3 overall pick at all, and I thought that he belonged quite a bit lower in the mid first round, I didn't think Ryan would have been considered as a top 5 pick in either of the previous 2 drafts and that it could be a big mistake to take a 'gamble' on someone at the QB position that early for a team that is trying to rebuild...boy was I wrong. But the biggest prospects get the biggest criticism, Rolle isn't someone people are touting as a top 5 pick.

Once again proving your maturity.

iloxygenil
09-13-2008, 11:58 PM
I love how you can insult my intelligence but it doesn't matter, but I do and I get an infraction, quite comical. How one is an infraction and the other isn't I don't know, but I'm not a mod, not a big deal.

D-Unit
09-14-2008, 12:56 AM
I love how you can insult my intelligence but it doesn't matter, but I do and I get an infraction, quite comical. How one is an infraction and the other isn't I don't know, but I'm not a mod, not a big deal.
meh. You instigated it calling him a jackass.