10. Minnesota Vikings
9. New Orleans Saints
8. Cleveland Browns
7. Pittsburgh Steelers
6. New York Giants
5. Jacksonville Jaguars
4. Dallas Cowboys
3. Indianapolis Colts

Although I disagreed with the Colts being ranked third, who is the 2nd best team in the NFL?

eaglesalltheway
08-20-2008, 07:11 AM
I voted Chargers, for as much as I hate the Pats, they are undoubtedly still #1.

Caddy
08-20-2008, 07:58 AM
The Pats. They have a very ordinary secondary. I think the Chargers have the all-round potential to win it all this year.

Smooth Criminal
08-20-2008, 08:05 AM
I said the Patriots. Offenses usually dont have huge years like last season twice and the defense is alot worse than it was last season. Add that to Brady not playing with the team yet and I don't think we see anywhere near 50 TDs.

Losing Asante hurts their secondary and their linebackers are yet another year older which hurts. They are old at safety and their secondary is nothing better than average.

If they don't have a dominant pass rush they will give up alot of points.

SD looks to have a great defense with good corners and a great pass rush. If Rivers, Tomlinson, and Gates come back healthy they will have a great offense aswell. The addition of Chambers really had a great effect last season.

They have the most talented roster, only question is can they turn that into wins when they count?

Dam8610
08-20-2008, 09:43 AM
My order is and has been:

1) Colts
2) Patriots
3) Chargers

So I went with the Chargers. A.J. Smith is a great GM (you can learn a lot from Bill Polian), but his team isn't as good at QB as the other two teams, has question marks on the offensive side of the ball (losing Neal and Turner is not going to help their running game, having a hobbled Gates isn't going to help their passing game), and the coaching is not the staff you'd want in a tight playoff game. The issues the Colts and Patreiots have right now are issues both have overcome to win championships before, which is why I think both should be the top 2 ranked teams in the NFL.

keylime_5
08-20-2008, 10:02 AM
wow, how did SD make it this far, they aren't even as good as Jacksonville from what I see, let alone Dallas or Indy.

princefielder28
08-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Chargers have the best offensive player in the league, an improving QB, top flight TE, two solid wideout (Chambers and Jackson), one of the league's best front seven, and a secondary which has the biggest game changing CB in the league. The Chargers are one hell of a talented team and they don't have the age problems or secondary issues of the Patriots.

AlexDown
08-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Chargers have the best offensive player in the league, an improving QB, top flight TE, two solid wideout (Chambers and Jackson), one of the league's best front seven, and a secondary which has the biggest game changing CB in the league. The Chargers are one hell of a talented team and they don't have the age problems or secondary issues of the Patriots.

Do you think SD offense is better then the Patriots?

Dam8610
08-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Chargers have the best offensive player in the league

The Chargers do not have Peyton Manning.

Like I said before, the issues the Colts and Patriots have are issues they've overcome before to win championships. The issues the Chargers have are issues they haven't dealt with since being competitive. That, combined with the age factor, is why I have it Colts>Patriots>Chargers.

AlexDown
08-20-2008, 11:10 AM
The Chargers do not have Peyton Manning.

Like I said before, the issues the Colts and Patriots have are issues they've overcome before to win championships. The issues the Chargers have are issues they haven't dealt with since being competitive. That, combined with the age factor, is why I have it Colts>Patriots>Chargers.

We already know your stance on the Colts, thanks.

Dam8610
08-20-2008, 11:11 AM
We already know your stance on the Colts, thanks.

If you look at the post you quoted, you'll see that wasn't my only point.

Cribbs>Hester
08-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Personally I think Dallas is hands down the most talented team in the NFL. They simply have a Jack*** as a coach. I still think their talent is going to overcome Phillips this year and make it to the super bowl.

They should fire him and bring up Garrett regardless.

Since we're down to the final. Here are my personal power rankings:

1. Dallas
2. New England
3. San Diego
4. New YorkG
5. Indianapolis
6. Jacksonville
7. New Orleans
8. Green Bay
9. Philadelphia
10. Minnesota
11. Seattle
12. Tampa Bay
13. Washington
14. Cleveland
15. Pittsburgh
16. Tennessee
17. Buffalo
18. Houston
19. Carolina
20. Cincinnati
21. New YorkJ
22. Baltimore
23. Denver
24. Chicago
25. St. Louis
26. Arizona
27. Miami
28. Detroit
29. Oakland
30. Kansas City
31. San Francisco
32. Atlanta

TheBuffaloBills
08-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Giants ahead of Colts, and Steelers at 15?

Personally I dont think Vikings should be 4 spots ahead of the Browns

Cribbs>Hester
08-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Giants ahead of Colts, and Steelers at 15?

Personally I dont think Vikings should be 4 spots ahead of the Browns

Our offensive is almost as iffy as theirs and their defense is much better.

Pittsburgh was a joke last season just like Cleveland they couldn't hang with winning teams while beating up on losers. Their offensive line is a sad excuse for an NFL line and the front 7 is getting older.

The Colts WILL NOT keep up the tremendous defense they displayed last year. They have injury concerns; Can Bob Sanders stay healthy bc if not the defense always suffers big time, Will Dwight Freeney be the same after his injury. With Manning you're always going to have a Top 5 team, but the G-men have a far superior defense and they can pound the ball better.

CC.SD
08-20-2008, 12:17 PM

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Hasn't yet been mentioned; the Chargers simply dominate on special teams.

Scifres hits absolute boomers, 60 yarders no problem, and they are almost NEVER returned. He's also a master at hitting the corner or giving the ball a backspin around the 5.

Kaeding is the most accurate FG kicker in the history of the game now. Supposedly he has had playoff choking issues, but he hit 4 field goals at New England with a BROKEN LEG so I'll give him a pass.

Osgood is the best gunner in the league and it's not close. The guy commands triple teams as a gunner and still gets his tackles. He's also amazing at downing the ball.

Darren Sproles. Darren freaking Sproles.

Oh yeah, Cromartie will line up to return kicks every once in a while too. Can't complain.

The Patriots D is seriously ancient and their secondary is awful. As for their offense, yeah, it's amazing. But they still only scored 21 on us in the AFC Championship game, and if you pop in the tape you will see Quentin Jammer completely negating Randy Moss, which is not exactly easy.

Marlon McCree and Drayton Florence were HUGE targets last year because they simply weren't good in coverage. Peyton and Tom were finding them before the snap. Eric Weddle and Antonio Cason won't just be maintaining the status quo; they will be significant upgrades to an already deadly secondary.

There's more, but I've got work to do, and I already know how this poll will end. God I can't wait for the season to start.

MetSox17
08-20-2008, 12:44 PM
I went with the Patriots. Their secondary is pretty putrid right now.

yourfavestoner
08-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Fernando Bryant is starting for New England. Nuff said.

awfullyquiet
08-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Marlon McCree and Drayton Florence were HUGE targets last year because they simply weren't good in coverage. Peyton and Tom were finding them before the snap. Eric Weddle and Antonio Cason won't just be maintaining the status quo; they will be significant upgrades to an already deadly secondary.

So many of the chargers players are coming into their prime. Sure, the pats are ageless. And nearly all of us last year had the rankings what? 1 Chargers, 2 Pats, 3 Colts? and look where it got us.

All three were deep and fighting at the end. and where they were at the beginning of last year is where they should be at the beginning of this year.

Jughead10
08-20-2008, 01:29 PM

Which isn't really better or worse than the DBs they have had the last 4 years (minus Samuel) and have still been quite successful. The Patriots continue to win with a motley crew of DBs assembled together. Their zone blitzing still works.

CC.SD
08-20-2008, 01:34 PM

Opposite Ellis "Sorriest corner in the league" "Oops I guess we're not quite good enough to go 19-0" "Lights Out" Hobbs, no less.

giantsfan
08-21-2008, 11:46 AM
San Diego is definately one of the most talented teams in the NFL, up there with Dallas in terms of pure talent, however I think both of those team have terrible headcoaches and that'll hold them back come playoff time IMO.

bearsfan_51
08-21-2008, 12:07 PM
One team has Tom Brady, the other team has Phillip Rivers. If we're talking most likely to win a Superbowl, I'll take the team that doesn't have Phillip Rivers.

DMWSackMachine
08-21-2008, 12:58 PM
I went Pats, though I think they will have a better season than SD and finish with a better record. For all of their troubles at DB and LB, they will be playing a cream puff schedule, and SD is starting to worry me with all these nagging injuries. Of course, Charger fans will dismiss them as being nothing--wouldn't be fans if they didn't--but when your best pass catching threat has been out all offseason with a foot problem (last I checked, you need that to run), your starting PB-caliber Center is out for an extended time, your D-Line is bothered with nagging injuries, your star pass rusher is having a visit with Dr. Andrews, and--oh yeah--your QB is coming back from an ACL problem, then, call me funny, but I see plenty of potential for early season (at the least) issues trying to get everyone back and on the same page.

Still, there's no doubt the Chargers, if healthy, have a better all-around roster than the Pats. At least in my mind.

D-Unit
08-21-2008, 01:52 PM
I went Pats, though I think they will have a better season than SD and finish with a better record. For all of their troubles at DB and LB, they will be playing a cream puff schedule, and SD is starting to worry me with all these nagging injuries. Of course, Charger fans will dismiss them as being nothing--wouldn't be fans if they didn't--but when your best pass catching threat has been out all offseason with a foot problem (last I checked, you need that to run), your starting PB-caliber Center is out for an extended time, your D-Line is bothered with nagging injuries, your star pass rusher is having a visit with Dr. Andrews, and--oh yeah--your QB is coming back from an ACL problem, then, call me funny, but I see plenty of potential for early season (at the least) issues trying to get everyone back and on the same page.

Still, there's no doubt the Chargers, if healthy, have a better all-around roster than the Pats. At least in my mind.
DMW, did you get any of my PMs?

Jughead10
08-21-2008, 02:01 PM
One team has Tom Brady, the other team has Phillip Rivers. If we're talking most likely to win a Superbowl, I'll take the team that doesn't have Phillip Rivers.

One team has Bill Belichick, the other team has Norv Turner.

BeerBaron
08-21-2008, 02:25 PM
just like the Giants got a little boost from winning the superbowl and were maybe a little higher than they should have been, I think the Pats should get a little benefit of the doubt here in that they did just have an undefeated regular season...

So I think its pats 1 and chargers 2.

And I missed the voting for #3, lol. As much as I wanted to see the Colts go down there, I didn't seriously think it would happen....

drowe
08-21-2008, 02:48 PM
QB-Pats
RB-Chargers
O-line-push
WR-Pats

D-line-Push
LB-Chargers
Secondary-Chargers

pretty even. the Chargers have a clear advantage in the secondary and at RB. the Pats have a clear advantage at QB and WR.

I'd give the Patriots the coaching edge.
and the edge in intangibles, because they've looked mediocre on paper before and won it all.
and, the edge at QB is another tiebreaker.

that said, the LBs are another year older, the d-line has had it's injury problems and nobody things Brady and Moss are gonna duplicate 2007.

tough call, but i like the Chargers better because i'm not sick of 'em. so, i voted for the Pats.

Q