PDA

View Full Version : What coaches are on the hottest seat right now?

49ersfan_87
08-20-2008, 09:07 PM
I think the 2 coaches in most trouble right now are Mike Nolan and Scot Linehan. I could see them both getting fired before the bye week if things go wrong this season.

Splat
08-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Marvin Lewis and it ain't that close.

diabsoule
08-20-2008, 09:22 PM
John Fox, Marvin Lewis, Mike Nolan, Lane Kiffin, Jim Zorn (?). Tony Dungy and Mike Holmgren might retire after this year.

skinzzfan25
08-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Why would Zorn be considered on the hot seat at all...

diabsoule
08-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Why would Zorn be considered on the hot seat at all...

That's why I put a question mark there. You never know what Dan Snyder is going to do.

Splat
08-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Ya I don't see a HC getting the boot after one year unless they coach the Raiders.:)

Bengalsrocket
08-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Ya I don't see a HC getting the boot after one year unless they coach the Raiders.:)

or.. the.. dolphins?

Anyways, this thread came up like 3 months ago and everyone said Marvin lewis - and all the Bengals posters already said that we don't think he's on the hot seat. I'm not saying its good either way, but Mike Brown would rather let a coach build a team up and try then kick a guy right before he built the team.

XxXdragonXxX
08-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Mike Holmgren might retire after this year.

....Might?

703SKINS202
08-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Jim Zorn definitely not on the hot seat. Everyone is Horny for Zorny.

T-RICH49
08-20-2008, 09:52 PM
I would be surprised if Kiffin is back with Oakland after this year

PalmerToCJ
08-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Marvin Lewis and it ain't that close.

You're obviously not familiar with Mike Brown's track record. Marvin is the 3rd most successful coach in our franchises history (not saying much, I know). Dave Shula was here as long as Marvin has been and I think the most games he won in a year was 8 once and the rest were 6 or less.

The only way I see Marvin Lewis not coaching this team next season is if he decides to leave.

I'm not here to debate whether or not Marvin should be on the hot seat... But he is not on much of a hot seat at this point. A bad year this season puts him on the hot seat next year.

We don't need a new coach, we need a new owner and a GM.

themaninblack
08-20-2008, 10:03 PM
You are kidding yourself if you think Marvin is on the hot seat. I'm not defending what he's done but if he is let go I will be VERY surprised. Mike Brown would rather the team(and the fans) suffer than have to buyout Lewis' contract.

Xonraider
08-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Well, unless Kiffin satisfies Al Davis (and by satisfy, I am not sure what I mean, maybe 7 games won) he is a gonner, even though he should stay, winning or losing season

StripedWalrus
08-20-2008, 10:35 PM
You are kidding yourself if you think Marvin is on the hot seat. I'm not defending what he's done but if he is let go I will be VERY surprised. Mike Brown would rather the team(and the fans) suffer than have to buyout Lewis' contract.

I dont think Marvin is the Problem in cincy. We all know it is Mike Brown. Mike Brown will make us suffer Mike Brown. Unless Marvin is going on the practice field and going Tonya Harding on the players I dont see Marvin as the reason why the Bengals arent doing as good as they should.

PACKmanN
08-20-2008, 11:00 PM
I think Wade Phillips is at least in the top 3.

brat316
08-20-2008, 11:14 PM
I think Wade Phillips is at least in the top 3.

Wade Phillips is a lame duck coach, no one expects anything from him.

Smooth Criminal
08-20-2008, 11:30 PM
I expect Lewis to not be the coach of the Bengals soon btu i expect him to resign. He cant appriciate moves like resigning Henry after he said hes not interested.

Lewis is in a horrible situation and needs to get out of it.

Fox, Nolan, and Kiffen are on hot seats too.

themaninblack
08-20-2008, 11:34 PM
The death of Mike Brown might be a joyous occasion in Cincy.

StripedWalrus
08-20-2008, 11:56 PM
I am honestly afraid Mike Brown will sale the team off to another city...if he does I think that will be the day that everyone in Cincy and the surrounding area marches upon his house and goes Benito Mussolini death on him. Little old ladies will be spitting on his dead body. Of course, if he does any more crap like sign trouble players without the blessing of the teams coach and players than it might happen anyway.

Bearsfan123
08-20-2008, 11:58 PM
Ron Turner O-Coordinator of the Bears. Many bears fans figure if our O doesnt do anything this year. (Very likely) Turner will get the boot.

Bengalsrocket
08-20-2008, 11:59 PM

The only good thing Mike Brown has ever done is give Marvin Lewis a pay check. People seem to forget our franchise essentially started from "square one" about 5 years ago. We went from being the laughing stock of the NFL to putting up 8-8 records and eventually winning our division all in about 3 years time.

Yes, the franchise has failed to bring our defense up to a respectable level. And yes, Marvin Lewis is partially to blame. But ultimately the owner makes the decisions. And in this case, it just so happens the owner makes worse decisions than the coach, yet the coach is getting all the heat.

From the outside, it looks like Marvin Lewis is a terrible coach. But if you do any research on Mike Brown you'll find out its a struggle for any coach to succeed when you've got an owner who's unwilling to put the effort you need into winning.

BlindSite
08-21-2008, 12:02 AM
Fox is definitely on the hotseat.

Kiffin or any coach of the Raiders always will be.

I'm surprised Lewis is still HC.

Dungy and Holmgren will likely retire at the end of the season imo both want one more big shot.

StripedWalrus
08-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Fox is definitely on the hotseat.

Kiffin or any coach of the Raiders always will be.

Dungy and Holmgren will likely retire at the end of the season imo both want one more big shot.

Why are you Surprised that Lewis is still HC?

PACKmanN
08-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Wade Phillips is a lame duck coach, no one expects anything from him.

sure, but they except that team to go to the Superbowl and if they don't go there it won't be because of the talent, but the coaching.

PalmerToCJ
08-21-2008, 01:07 AM

Based on what? Absolutely nothing?

We've laid out the scenario. None of us are saying Marvin is a golden boy and doesn't deserve to be criticized. He's got a bad owner who makes poor moves with players but fully supports Marvin and has no desire to get rid of him.

Will Marvin Lewis be the Bengals coach next year? I'm not sure but the only way I see him leaving is on his own terms.

Ask any Bengals fan - regardless of their support for Marvin Lewis - if they think he's honestly on the hot seat, a very large majority will say no.

bored of education
08-21-2008, 01:25 AM
Some wonder if Herm Edwards is, but after this past year/off season I think he has this year andother off season and another year before he is uncomfortably hot.

Dam8610
08-21-2008, 02:06 AM
Lane Kiffin

fondoffilm
08-21-2008, 02:09 AM
Lame Kiffin. See what I did there?

Iamcanadian
08-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Real hot, in fact burning:
Nolan - San Fran ---Has had a # of years to produce a competitive team and holds the responsibility for drafting Smith. Reminds me a lot of Butch Davis except I think Butch was the better HC.
Linehan - Rams ---Like Nolan, this team had better produce or else.
I see no way this guy is back next year unless the Rams have a turn around season..

Warm:
Marinelli - Detroit --- If he doesn't get to .500 he could be gone. Just another HC screwed by Millen's failure to draft talent.
Zorn - Redskins--- he should be safe for another season as most HC's get at least 2 years to succeed but with Snyder as owner and Gibbs gone, Snyder will probably revert to his old ways and I don't think he can seat still if Washington takes a dive in the win total.
Kiffen - Raiders---I believe this team is on the rise toward elite status but even if Kiffen wins 8 games this year which is a very reasonable win total in Russell's 1st year as a starter, Al Davis will drive him out of town if he doesn't accept Al's running the team from his private box. If he'll accept being a "yes" man then Davis will keep him but I doubt Kiffen will be the type of HC Al wants. Just another case of the 'Gruden' factor.

Need to start winning but likely safe for at least 1 or possibly 2 more seasons:
Smith---Chicago Bears---Yes the Bears went to the SB but it is a 'what have you done for me lately league'. The more heat that piles on the GM, the more likely they are to look for a scapegoat. Once you've tried by firing coordinators and that fails then the the HC is usually next to go before the GM finally gets the axe.
Edwards---Kansas City---Hard to tell how long KC's GM will keep Edwards around if the team continues to lose a lot of games.
Fox---Carolina---Ditto with KC.

Cincy: Like Detroit who has an owner who gave Matt Millen an extension for his wonderful record, Brown, the owner of Cincy will probably keep Lewis around for a few more years especially if he's under contract, since there is no way he pays 2 HC's at the same time.

giantsfan
08-21-2008, 03:52 PM
I actually think both Wade Phillips and Norv Turner could get fired. They're just not good enough Head coaches for the talent their teams have. Both should go to the superbowl but yet I'm willing to bet neither does.

Iamcanadian
08-21-2008, 04:04 PM
I actually think both Wade Phillips and Norv Turner could get fired. They're just not good enough Head coaches for the talent their teams have. Both should go to the superbowl but yet I'm willing to bet neither does.

I don't disagree with you but it can be very difficult to fire these guys if they keep winning around 12 games a season. Turner in particular was Smith's (San Diego's GM) choice to replace Shotty and if he admits he made a bad choice, he could see the door as well, so it will take an awful lot to get Smith to fire Turner. I do agree that Turner may not be good enough of a HC to get the most out of his talent.
Phillips is a different story. Jones does the hiring in Dallas and doesn't have to answer for his decisions to anybody except his fans. Continued playoff failure could definitely lead to Phillips being fired although I completely disagree that Phillips isn't a solid HC.

SFbear
08-21-2008, 04:42 PM

http://o.aolcdn.com/art/sportsdata/nfl/players/hs_5068.jpg

Mike Brown doesn't appreciate threats.

CJSchneider
08-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Nolan for sure. With the revolving door O. Coordinator problems over the last 3 years, his *** is on fire his seat is so hot.

Dr. Gonzo
08-21-2008, 05:01 PM
I can only hope that Brad Childress will be fired. He gets far to much credit for turning the Vikings around when in fact the credit should go to Rick Speilman.

Brent
08-21-2008, 05:22 PM
I think Nolan is obviously the most on the hot seat, so much so he's willing to start someone who might be successful now (JTO) instead of someone who could be just as successful by midseason (AS).

BlindSite
08-21-2008, 06:18 PM
O'Sullivan isn't a better or more ready QB than Alex Smith.

Gay Ork Wang
08-21-2008, 06:22 PM
O'Sullivan is the better and more ready QB right now cause he knows the System

Smokey Joe
08-21-2008, 07:00 PM
probably not this year, but I think Jerry Angelo and Lovie Smith have one or two seasons left (two, because if they draft a QB next year in the 1st round, they are likely to have time to develop him).

Ron Turner (the OC) is on the hotseat for this year though.

bearsfan_51
08-21-2008, 07:05 PM
It's not probably not , there's no way the Bears fire Jerry or Lovie after this season, if for no other reason than the fact that they just signed them to new deals a year ago. They are too cheap and too invested to cut bait now.

It would take two consecutive top 5 pick-seasons for either guy to get fired I believe. This is a franchise that gave Dave Wandsteadt 6 years after all.

themaninblack
08-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Mike Brown doesn't appreciate threats.

It wasn't a threat.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/a/a8/Mikebrown.jpg

His father would be ashamed.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-22-2008, 08:16 AM

Why isn't he on the hot seat? You guys made the playoffs only once under him, right? He was there since 2003, and you guys have had a bunch of 8-8 seasons, made the playoffs once, and then went 7-9 last season. How long of a leash does he get?

PalmerToCJ
08-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Why isn't he on the hot seat? You guys made the playoffs only once under him, right? He was there since 2003, and you guys have had a bunch of 8-8 seasons, made the playoffs once, and then went 7-9 last season. How long of a leash does he get?

We've stated the reasons again and again.

Marvin Lewis, by record, is the third most successful coach in our franchises history. Not saying much, but this is more than enough winning for Mike Brown.

Dave Shula coached under Brown for FIVE seasons with a record of 19-53 and you think he's going to fire a guy after six seasons and a winning record (at this point).

We're not saying Marvin shouldn't be on the hot seat, we're just saying that he isn't. Unfortunately Mike Brown's standard of winning is less than what we would like and some of the problems in Marvin's stint here are due to decisions that Brown made. This team desperately needs Brown to keep his nose out of the team and hire a GM.

themaninblack
08-22-2008, 11:30 AM

It's not a leash. Its Mike Brown and the money involved. I'm not saying he SHOULDN'T be on the hot seat because he probably should be but I'd be very surprised if Mikey was even thinking about letting him go no matter what.

BeerBaron
08-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Ron Turner O-Coordinator of the Bears. Many bears fans figure if our O doesnt do anything this year. (Very likely) Turner will get the boot.

that probably should have happened last year....dunno who would have been a suitable replacement but it can't be hard to out do Turner....

NY+Giants=NYG
08-22-2008, 12:24 PM
We've stated the reasons again and again.

Marvin Lewis, by record, is the third most successful coach in our franchises history. Not saying much, but this is more than enough winning for Mike Brown.

Dave Shula coached under Brown for FIVE seasons with a record of 19-53 and you think he's going to fire a guy after six seasons and a winning record (at this point).

We're not saying Marvin shouldn't be on the hot seat, we're just saying that he isn't. Unfortunately Mike Brown's standard of winning is less than what we would like and some of the problems in Marvin's stint here are due to decisions that Brown made. This team desperately needs Brown to keep his nose out of the team and hire a GM.

I get it. Don't agree with it, but I see why his job isn't in jeopardy. I am just thinking that had it been the same record here in NY, the media would be lighting the fire and tossing it in the wood pilings. I think your team deserves better than Lewis. There are coaches out there that can help, but I guess it's up to ownership to create a standard then hold to it.

giantsfan
08-22-2008, 12:42 PM
I don't disagree with you but it can be very difficult to fire these guys if they keep winning around 12 games a season. Turner in particular was Smith's (San Diego's GM) choice to replace Shotty and if he admits he made a bad choice, he could see the door as well, so it will take an awful lot to get Smith to fire Turner. I do agree that Turner may not be good enough of a HC to get the most out of his talent.
Phillips is a different story. Jones does the hiring in Dallas and doesn't have to answer for his decisions to anybody except his fans. Continued playoff failure could definitely lead to Phillips being fired although I completely disagree that Phillips isn't a solid HC.

Phillips is a solid HC but not one good enough to take a team deep into the playoffs.

vidae
08-22-2008, 01:02 PM
I think firing Herm Edwards would be a mistake at this point. It's obvious that the Chiefs are in full rebuilding mode. You gotta give him a few years to get the team he wants built instead of taking over a team full of old veterans and few young talented guys.

I've always been a fan of Herm, in NY and now in KC. I hope he's here a long time.

Addict
08-22-2008, 01:07 PM
I don't really think Marinelli is on the hot seat. Millen might be but heck, he's been doing better recently. Last three years he's drafted Sims and Johnson and I do really like this new selection of Cherilus. Who knows, after so many years he's getting the hang of this GM-thing.

PalmerToCJ
08-22-2008, 09:09 PM
I get it. Don't agree with it, but I see why his job isn't in jeopardy. I am just thinking that had it been the same record here in NY, the media would be lighting the fire and tossing it in the wood pilings. I think your team deserves better than Lewis. There are coaches out there that can help, but I guess it's up to ownership to create a standard then hold to it.

A decent amount of our problems as a franchise stem from Mike Brown. Some of the things Marvin has had to deal with are because of him. We'll never be a consistent contender with him as the owner I don't think.

The media is kind of split. Talk show guys are on him but the news/paper people aren't so much. There's just not a lot of pressure to can him.

In the end, I know it won't fix our big problems to get rid of Marvin so that's why I'm not wanting him out.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-23-2008, 09:40 AM
A decent amount of our problems as a franchise stem from Mike Brown. Some of the things Marvin has had to deal with are because of him. We'll never be a consistent contender with him as the owner I don't think.

The media is kind of split. Talk show guys are on him but the news/paper people aren't so much. There's just not a lot of pressure to can him.

In the end, I know it won't fix our big problems to get rid of Marvin so that's why I'm not wanting him out.

So how long does he get a pass for? Can he stay for 2-3 more seasons and still go 8-8?

PalmerToCJ
08-23-2008, 11:04 AM
So how long does he get a pass for? Can he stay for 2-3 more seasons and still go 8-8?

I think it would take no playoffs this year and a bad year next season. Honestly, if he kept going 8-8 I'm not sure he would be fired. Brown is big on giving people chances.

Like I said earlier, no coach is really going to get me excited here. There's a reason the same teams are always good, they have good management/owners. A lot of our initial success was because Brown laid back and let Marvin do what he wanted to do, then with success he jumped right back into things.

Shane P. Hallam
08-23-2008, 11:56 AM
John Fox, Marvin Lewis, Mike Nolan, Lane Kiffin are my big four.