PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Williams,Deon Butler,Jordan Norwood

ManofSteel
08-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Im diehard psu football so ive seen these guys since their freshman seasons. Does anyone know where DWill could go? Possibly Day top 3 rounds? My local paper said Derrick was clocked at a 4.22 in the 40 n practices with the track team sometimes. He is also a solid return man. Does anyone know where butler n norwood could go? Both are undersized but you cant ignore their production n they both would probably make decent slot guys.

LonghornsLegend
08-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Justin King was just as highly touted out of HS correct? And all his measurables/athletic gifts got him into the early 4th...Granted D Will is a little different since he returned he can improve his stock by a solid year where he produces, but I don't think 40 time alone will bump him up that far, King had one of the fastest 40's at the combine, either 2nd or 3rd to Branch and Scandrick, but I think scouts want to see D Will have a huge year where he shows up on the field...I am intrigued, but he has to show me more this year then just a 40 time.

Hines
08-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Penn State has the worst passing attack ever IMO, and yes I am a Penn State fan. But, if Williams has a good year, he will move up just because of his return ability. I think thats what he gets drafted for and will be a solid performer at the next level.

MaxV
08-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Derrick Williams - Fast and has good hands, but his route running is mediocre. Good returner, but also has a bit of a fumbling problem. With a great year, could be a day 1 pick, but most likely early 2nd day.

Butler and Norwood are similar prospects. Butler is more of a deep thread, but Norwood runs better routes. Both are undersized and probably more of late-round or UFAs.

DeathbyStat
08-21-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm a Penn State fan and season ticket holder and i would be hard pressed to draft any of these guys that highly.

Williams is a much better athlete than a football player. Norwood is undersized and I've never seen Butler as anything but solid

With all that being said Penn State offensive coordinator and QB play the last three years has been horrendous.

All three of these guys might end up having better pro careers than college careers but I still wouldn't spend anything higher than a 4th round draft pick on any of them.

I hope they prove me wrong

brat316
08-21-2008, 02:07 PM
hand timed 40s are useless, hell that means Harvin runs 4.19. Its all about electric or laser timings. Yeah 40 doesn't bump him up much and unless he has an amazing season, the highest he could go is 4th. With that amazing season late 2nd or 3rd round.

Hines
08-21-2008, 02:09 PM
I would draft Williams with a late second, early third. People tend to forget that he is a fabolous return man. Everyone is looking for the next Hester or Cribbs. Not saying he is on their level, because I dont think anyone is, but he can provide an explosive player back there. I think his recieving numbers will sky rocket if the offense and quarterback didnt blow around him.

Iamcanadian
08-21-2008, 02:19 PM
William's final season will determine his draft status. He's got lots of upside but to go rounds 1-3 he will need a productive season otherwise like King, he'll go later. A lot will depend whether or not Penn St. has a QB who can get him the ball on a consistant basis. I don't think late round 1, early round 2 is totally out of the question if he has a great final season.

Go_Eagles77
08-21-2008, 03:50 PM
I would not be surprised if Williams made it into the mid or even early 2nd like a Donnie Avery this year, but more likely rounds 3-4, Butler I'd say 6-UDFA and Norwood 7-UDFA right now.

Staubach12
08-21-2008, 07:29 PM
I would draft williams in the second. I really like his potential. He's obviously talented, there's no question about that. I just want to see consistency and productivity.

Sniper
08-21-2008, 07:55 PM
I would draft Williams with a late second, early third. People tend to forget that he is a fabolous return man. Everyone is looking for the next Hester or Cribbs. Not saying he is on their level, because I dont think anyone is, but he can provide an explosive player back there. I think his recieving numbers will sky rocket if the offense and quarterback didnt blow around him.

You'd be the worst GM ever if you took Williams that high. He finished 26th in the country last year in punt returns, hardly "fabulous". He didn't finish in the top 100 in kickoff returns. Give me a break. Not to mention his studly 9.26 ypc.

Unbiased
08-21-2008, 09:22 PM
He didn't finish in the top 100 in kickoff returns.

That's really surprising considering A.J. Wallace is the kick returner.

Sniper
08-21-2008, 10:13 PM
That's really surprising considering A.J. Wallace is the kick returner.

Williams still returned 13 kicks. And I was going by ypr.

kwilk103
08-21-2008, 10:36 PM
williams=biggest #1 bust according to rivals rankings

Sniper
08-21-2008, 10:52 PM
williams=biggest #1 bust according to rivals rankings

Don't count out Jimmy Clausen like that! He's still got three years left! ;)

But yeah, so far Williams is. Rivals' #1 guys have done pretty well for themselves.

underscore
08-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Best case sees Williams eking into the first day. The Penn State offense will look extremely different now that Morelli is gone. How that translates to receptions/carries for Williams remains to be seen.

I don't see Norwood or Butler being drafted. Maybe Butler late. Both are overachievers (and that's a compliment) but just aren't NFL material.

underscore
09-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Through 3 games, Williams has been a distant third in the threesome.

Jordan Norwood compares a lot to Bobby Engram. Not big, not fast, but really good. He's one of those guys who if he was 6'+, he'd be on a lot of radars

SeanTaylorRIP
09-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Norwood is miles ahead of any of their wideouts but his physical build will prevent him from being a real contributer in the NFL. Could carve out a bit of a career in the slot though.

MaxV
09-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Norwood is an excellent route runner and has great hands. His 40 is probably about 4.45-4.5. He's more quick then fast.

Some PSU players have stated that Butler is the fastest guy on the team, with a legit 4.3 speed. He has been the best deep threat since his freshman year.

Derrick Williams is still raw. Route running isn't where it should be.

underscore
09-14-2008, 01:03 PM
I'd bet Norwood runs around a 4.55-4.6. He's a classic example of a guy you can't measure by a 40 time.

Williams just hasn't improved since his freshman year. He finished strong last year, but hasn't really shown much this year.

Santonio10
09-14-2008, 05:55 PM
All are great college players. As far as Norwood and Butler are concerned, their size is the biggest issue. With D-Will, it's lack of production. He's a great talent and could be a great player but he hasn't done anything yet that would make me take him higher than the 4th or 5th round. He has first round potential, but the keyword there is POTENTIAL. If he has a breakout year, I say he's a late first day pick at best.

and yes I am a PSU fan too.

Staubach12
09-14-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm being disappointed more and more the more I see of Williams. I really thought he was coming along at the end of last year.