PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's TMQ on the AFC

NY+Giants=NYG
08-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Found this part about Brett Favre interesting. Other stuff in there as well that's a decent read.

ESPN's TMQ on Brett Favre

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/080819

"Jersey/B: Aging star Jason Taylor was worth a second-round draft pick in the first big summer trade; aging star Brett Favre was worth a fourth-round choice in the second big summer trade. A No. 4 pick is all the Packers are assured of; the pick can rise as high as a first-rounder if the Jets reach the Super Bowl this year, at which point they will be very, very happy to give up a first-rounder. But on the face of it, a dancing defensive end moved for a higher trade price than the top statistical quarterback in NFL annals. Why? Because when you trade for Brett Favre, you get all that Favre tsuris.

Me-me-me-me-me. That's what you get with Favre. As a senior star, he has earned an amount of special treatment. But not an unlimited amount -- football is a team game. These days Terrell Owens is showing more team spirit than Favre; who would have believed that? You can say it's not Favre's fault that the media hyperventilate over him, but he strives to keep the spotlight on himself. Favre plays a humble, Southern boy routine. That's an act -- he knows the endless retirements and unretirements are a way to hold our attention. On the very day of the trade, Jersey/B general manager Mike Tannenbaum said, "We're taking things season by season. We're really happy to have him for the season." Favre's contract runs through 2010; either Tannenbaum has already agreed to release Favre at the end of the year, or he is already assuming Favre will stage yet another hissy fit of some kind in the upcoming offseason.

Last season the Packers were 13-4, and they came within an overtime of going to the Super Bowl. How many Green Bay players from that team can you name, other than Favre? His constant media antics had the effect of denying recognition to his teammates. In June, Tom Pelissero of the Green Bay Press-Gazette reported, "There is a substantial faction of younger players who are eager to play with Aaron Rodgers. Favre is at least a decade older than all but six guys on the roster. He dressed in his own locker room. He had minimal social interaction with teammates. Rodgers is one of the guys, and plenty of them are pulling for him." He dressed in his own locker room? In the past few seasons, Favre has been all about Favre, as if his teammates didn't exist. A man who wanted to maximize his own celebrity and income, at the expense of his teammates, would behave in that manner. That's what the Jets now have, and that's why his trade value was lower than Taylor's."

I never knew that Favre had his own lockeroom and pulled diva like stuff. Did the Packers fans on here know this, because this is news to me. But overall interesting TMQ take.

vidae
08-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Interesting read.

MetSox17
08-22-2008, 01:12 PM
I've never liked Favre, mainly because of the pole-polishing he got from the media, but this makes me dislike him even more. I mean seirously, his own locker room?

eaglesfan_45
08-22-2008, 01:20 PM
I've never liked Favre, mainly because of the pole-polishing he got from the media, but this makes me dislike him even more. I mean seirously, his own locker room?

my thoughts exactly, never really liked him.

His own locker room? what a douche bag.

drowe
08-22-2008, 01:42 PM
i've never heard the thing about him having his own locker room. i'm not sure i buy it. there is plenty of (recent) video clips of him in the locker room.

and, he did have a locker in the room with the rest of the team.

as far as everything else, nobody on the team ever had anything bad about him as a teammate before this. who knows what he was really like...

jackalope
08-22-2008, 02:55 PM
I find the part about Favre having his own locker room surprising, I'd never heard that before. I did know that in recent years he parked inside Lambeau as opposed to the regular player parking lot, but I don't see that as much of an issue.

CashmoneyDrew
08-22-2008, 03:11 PM
Wow, who would've guessed Favre was a prima donna? I can hardly contain my surprise..... :/

I've never been as in love with Favre as everyone else.

Twiddler
08-22-2008, 03:37 PM
I just found an article on the Appleton Post Crescent's website backing this personal locker room story so there may be some validity to it. And the article was written over a month ago so that helps, I guess. If its true then it definitely wouldn't help his humble country boy image that he's had over the years. Oh well, not my team's worry now.

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080711/APC02/80711080

yourfavestoner
08-22-2008, 09:23 PM
What have I been telling you guys...