PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Draft thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3

hobbes2053
11-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Munoz as the GM would be nothing short of amazing.

Aftermath
11-21-2008, 10:18 PM
I have a few things to add to the offseason:
Fire Brat.
Hire a new OC. (Maybe try to get Ken Anderson? Art Shell up to anything?Turner Gill?)
Hire a GM. Maybe a former player or something along those lines. (Munoz?)

I will **** bricks from happiness!

PalmerToCJ
11-21-2008, 11:29 PM
We should banish all GM talk on here... Not because we don't need a GM just because we don't need to get our hopes up lol.

Bengals78
11-22-2008, 01:02 AM
oops. alcohol post.

hobbes2053
11-23-2008, 11:27 AM
I will volunteer as matyr to det a gm.
WAR GM
WAR MUNOZ
WAR BUDWEISER
yeahhh

What does this even mean?

rickscott
11-23-2008, 11:31 AM
I'd love to see Munoz more involved in this franchise, but it hasn't happened thus far for some reason. The only change I want in OC is to move Ken Zampese there. I do not want Ken Anderson or any other outsider.

Bengals78
11-23-2008, 11:42 AM
What does this even mean?

It means my alcohol consumption was too high that night.

MooshooGawd
11-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Another name that I would throw out there for OC is Hue Jackson. When he was here as the WR Coach, TJ, Chad and Henry were fantastic.

Then he left and went to be Atlanta's OC, where he did some good things with Chris Freaking Redman as his QB. Now he's Baltimore's QB coach, and I'd say he has a lot to do with Flacco's play.

Bringing him in would be a good move. It would make our offense less predictable, and it would boost TJ and Chad's moral as they look up to Hue.

PalmerToCJ
11-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Well done Mooshoo... I actually wanted Jackson to come in as a coach this offseason to groom him as an OC.

Freaking perfect, Marvin already knows him... He's respected and we know he can manage the WR's. He would be awesome, shame on the rest of us for not bringing up his name earlier.

Bengals78
11-29-2008, 01:44 AM
Dream Offseason (having fun here):

Sign Brandon Jacobs
Trade Chad (late 1st & 2nd)
Trade Levi (He is still under contract correct? so why just dump salary for nothin? maybe a 3rd or 4th?)
Dump Andrews so he can go to where he wants to be.
Resign TJ to a nice healthy contract.
Sign Collins cheap now.

Draft:
Round 1a: Brian Orakpo DE Texas
We need pass rush like no other. We can't get to the QB to save our lives at this point. Orakpo is an everydown DE. He plays hard and plays fast. An Orakpo/Odom end duo sounds nice.

Round 1b: Alex Mack C Cal
We NEED a new center plain and simple. This guy is easily the best.

Round 2a: Phil Loadholt OT Oklahoma
We need a RT next year, Andrews isnt it. And we need to get some more beef to push that right side.

Round 2b: Jasper Brinkley ILB SC
Dhani has been playing well lately and I think Jasper will fit into Zim's defense superbly once he spends a year under Jones learning.

Round 3: Cedric Dockery OG Texas
We could use some depth at G. Kooistra is ok, but we could use the upgrade and he would a competent replacement for Williams when he goes.

Round 3 (comp): Jonathon Casillas OLB Wisconsin
We need help at OLB and Casillas is a good prospect who I think could be better than any of our current OLB (outside of Rivers).

Round 4a: Jordan Shipley WR Texas
Solid at everything. Runs clean routes. Gets open. Returns kicks. Could be a great addition to the offense. Especially with our new young guns being slow to stay healthy.

Round 4b:Brandon Underwood CB Cincinnati
With JJ back on IR, we could use some extra depth at CB for the future. Underwood is a solid prospect.

Round 5: Marcus Thigpen RB Indiana
If we sign Jacobs, we will need the flash to go with Jacobs bang. Thigpen has been doing good so far. Could make for a solid partner.

Round 6: BPA
Im thinking FB or more ST help

Then we should look like this come week 1:
Offense
QB: Carson (Duh)
RB: Jacobs,Thigpen, Perry
FB: Coats
TE: Utecht, Kelly
WR: TJ, Caldwell, Shipley, Simpson & Holt
LT: Collins, Kooistra
LG: Whitworth, Dockery, Livings
C: Mack
RG: Williams, Dockery, Livings
RT: Loadholt, Kooistra

Defense
DE: Odom, Orakpo/Geathers, Rucker, Henderson
DT: Sims, Peko, Shirley, Orien Harris
SLB: Casillas, Brandon Johnson, Jeanty,
ILB: Jones, Brinkley
WLB: Rivers, Blackstock, Johnson
CB: JJ, Hall, Jones, Underwood, Castille
FS: White, Crocker
SS: Ndukwe, Crocker, Hebert

Gert T
12-17-2008, 02:26 PM
There is NO way the Bengals will get a 1st round pick for Chad, and I think it is highly unlikely they will have any takers trading for Levi.

BengalMedic
12-18-2008, 07:25 AM
Once again, it's not as easy as any of us just saying we will or won't get any pick for Chad. That's even IF the Bengals go in that direction which they said they aren't, but it remains to be seen.

Point is, if there is a team that is in great need of a WR and willing to make the move, it will get done. So if said team thinks all they need to do is add a veteran WR that is a vertical threat and makes the defense account for him with a double team to make the playoffs and beyond, why wouldn't you give a 1st round pick ??

No one is going to get a WR in the first round that is going to give you what Chad will immediately and if the team is in the "win now" mode, it could easily be done.

That being said, I expect Chad to be in stripes so who really cares ??

Gert T
12-18-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm sorry I did not mean to belittle, I was just saying that I think no team will offer a first round pick for Chad in 2009. Truthfully I would be happy if we got something like we did for Corey Dillon (56th overall?).

BengalMedic
12-19-2008, 09:28 AM
No biggie, didn't mean to come off smartlike... There are many that argue both sides of the argument and to tell you the truth, until it's said and done, they are both right...

We will see.

PalmerToCJ
12-20-2008, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't doubt a high 1st... I mean considering Washington offered two 1st's last year. I know Chad was way down but everyone can see that's in large part due to the fact that Fitzpatrick can't throw the long ball.

Washington would work something good if we wanted to deal him, I don't doubt that.

Levi on the other hand is either getting dropped or we keep him, no way anyone trades for him.

themaninblack
12-20-2008, 10:56 PM
We should probably keep Levi for another year. Maybe if he gets fully healthy he can play like his old self and that would allow us to trade him. I still wouldn't be surprised if a team were to offer something for him even with his struggles this season.

Bengalsrocket
12-23-2008, 09:22 AM
We don't seem to talk about Aaron Curry enough on here. He's physically gifted as an athlete and can fill a similar roll to what Orakpo gives us. I'm not insisting then he's as good of a pass rusher as Orakpo or anything insane like that, but with him in the front 7 it could really effect our blitz packages in a good way. Meanwhile providing us with top-notch run defense potential having him opposite of Keith Rivers.

Also, Knowshon Moreno is another guy we don't talk about enough (I'm pretty sure he hasn't declared yet, but still). Yes, I'm aware that everyone here is skeptical to drafting a RB because we've had bad luck with it in the past. But the bottom line is, if Marvin is going to commit to the run he needs to have a runner with more talent than Cedric Benson. Yes, we need center more than we need running back, but I don't know if it's possible for us to get Alex Mack or even Max Unger at this point. Both have had rising draft stock and may be gone before we get a chance to get them. If he somehow fell to us in the early 2nd round, why would you pass on him? or if we got one of these unbelievably good deals for Chad Johnson that we've been talking about.

Just my thoughts anyways. I know there are like 7 teams drafting within the top 10 that all want Orakpo, and each one of them would take Andre Smith as a consolation prize. And with Marvin winning himself out of the top 3 lately, we need to consider that we might not get either of those guys. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a team traded up and sniped one of our top prospects from us again this year, seeing how easy it was for the saints to do it it last year :(

themaninblack
12-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Agreed with Moreno and Curry. I am very high on both of them especially Curry and even though LB isn't a big need I would be very happy to get him in the first to be in the same corps as Rivers. That would be insane.

Moreno has kind of seen his stock fall which may go in our favor if he comes out because I don't think he will put up amazing numbers at the combine. If he is available to us in the second there is NO WAY we should pass on him. He is easily my favorite RB prospect(maybe a little UGA homerism?) and I could care less what he runs at the combine. His natural running abilities and vision are crazy and he does have very good quickness. Pair those things with the attitude he runs with and brings to the team, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more talented RB in the country. Here's to his stock continuing to fall and him coming out!

Bengals78
12-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Agreed with Moreno and Curry. I am very high on both of them especially Curry and even though LB isn't a big need I would be very happy to get him in the first to be in the same corps as Rivers. That would be insane.

Moreno has kind of seen his stock fall which may go in our favor if he comes out because I don't think he will put up amazing numbers at the combine. If he is available to us in the second there is NO WAY we should pass on him. He is easily my favorite RB prospect(maybe a little UGA homerism?) and I could care less what he runs at the combine. His natural running abilities and vision are crazy and he does have very good quickness. Pair those things with the attitude he runs with and brings to the team, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more talented RB in the country. Here's to his stock continuing to fall and him coming out!

His stock falls and he will come out. I think one of the reasons his stock fell is because of the talent behind him at RB.

Here is a thought though, IF we do trade Chad, and get late first...and Knowshon is there do we take him? Or do we take Unger, Mack or perhaps a pass rusher.

Bengalsrocket
12-24-2008, 01:34 AM
His stock falls and he will come out. I think one of the reasons his stock fell is because of the talent behind him at RB.

Here is a thought though, IF we do trade Chad, and get late first...and Knowshon is there do we take him? Or do we take Unger, Mack or perhaps a pass rusher.

If it was my decision, Unger or Mack come first if they're available. But Moreno is right behind them on priority if they've already been taking.

rickscott
12-24-2008, 02:09 PM
We should probably keep Levi for another year. Maybe if he gets fully healthy he can play like his old self and that would allow us to trade him. I still wouldn't be surprised if a team were to offer something for him even with his struggles this season.

It just seems to take some little misstep and the guy is messed up for extended periods. For me, I don't care if he's here next season but I do realize that when ehalthy, he's pretty good.

Gert T
01-08-2009, 03:28 PM
I would love to see Mack in a Bengals uniform, but I think we would have to trade up from our 2nd pick (is it No 38?), as I think he will slide into a spot somewhere between 20-35.

As far as Ocho goes, I would be happy if we got a pick along the lines of CD for him (2nd Round, 56th pick).

I would not mind getting Curry with the 7th pick if people are gone. I think the Bengals should take a long look at a Tackle in the first round. If A. Smith, Monroe, Oher and J. Smith all grade out in the top 12 prospects by scouts, I think it would be a good move to get one.

themaninblack
01-08-2009, 03:55 PM

Thats probably part of it but he also played behind a terrible OL this year and still put up decent numbers.

Bengals78
01-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Im not sure we could pass on Moreno if he somehow falls out to the second round. A Benson & Moreno backfield would be pretty lethal IMO.
The only way I really see a RB that early is if we trade to get more picks.

PalmerToCJ
01-08-2009, 08:44 PM
I'd really like to see a speedy back between the 2nd and 5th round... Pending the talent of course, the later the better unless the right guy falls.

themaninblack
01-08-2009, 10:16 PM
I would also like a speedster but like Pudge said even two more power oriented backs would work. Someone who can catch out of the backfield would be ideal.

Aftermath
01-10-2009, 03:22 PM
I know it isnt a much of a need, but what if Lewis wants a Ed Reed type player again in Mays?

It would def. be a luxury pick but im just trying to think of every possibility.

themaninblack
01-10-2009, 04:24 PM
I would actually not be opposed to Mays with our first pick. Even though I like Marvin White I am sold on him yet and Mays would be able to come in and be a great centerfielder right away. It would also let Chinny run free to wreak even more havoc on offenses. He'd be a great pick who could really help solidify the back end of this defense for years.

MooshooGawd
01-11-2009, 12:32 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to Mays either. To have him, Ndukwe, JJ and Hall in your secondary would be one of the most impressive secondaries in the NFL.

But, at the same time, they need other positions more. They need to get a pass rush and they need to get some bodies on the o-line.

Bengalsrocket
01-11-2009, 08:52 PM
I hope you guys are joking lol. The amount of money we'd have tied up into 1 aspect of the game would be ridiculous at that point. Not to mention, they'd have no pass rush to pressure QB's and force mistakes anyways.

If we got safety with our first pick it'll be a huge mistake.

themaninblack
01-11-2009, 10:25 PM
How much money do we have tied up in safeties exactly? A 7th round pick, a 4th round pick, and a journeyman? I also don't think we have an inordinate amount of money tied up in either Leon Hall or JJ. It would be a luxury pick for sure but I wouldn't be mad about it depending on whos available at that point.

BengalMedic
01-12-2009, 07:50 AM
I wouldn't complain about Mays, but I just can't help but think the pick should be used on the front 7 "IF" we don't go o-line in the first. Address the position the following year if you don't get what you think you need out of what you currently have. Crocker deserves to come back and be given a shot from what we saw out of him and getting some of the guys back healthy won't hurt either...

PalmerToCJ
01-12-2009, 01:01 PM
I don't think there's any way a S goes that early, if we traded back to the 10-14 range maybe.

I'm pretty much dead set on OT at this point for our first rounder.

chapo123
01-12-2009, 09:29 PM
my mock

1. eugene monroe - ot
2. jeremiah johnson - rb
3. connor barwin - de
4. demtrius byrd - wr
5. cedric dockery - g
6. scott millkop - ilb
7. rory nicol - te

Aftermath
01-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Do we possibly look at BJ Raji and move to a 3-4/have Peko rotate in a 4-3?

Bengals78
01-24-2009, 02:14 PM
I was actually about to post the same question, and my answer is yes. Peko and Sims could play DE for us in 3-4 along with Frostee and Fananae. Only question is, where would Rivers play? He could play either in that system.
We would have to draft a DE/OLB hybrid (Connor Barwin) and an ILB (Brinkley)

So our draft would be 2/3 of our first 3 will be defense, Raji and Barwin...its a lot to put into hope.
but our defense would look great on paper

DE - Peko
NT - Raji
DE - Sims
OLB - Barwin
ILB - Brinkley
ILB - Rivers
OLB - Geathers
S - Chinny
S - White
CB - Hall
CB - Jones

Bengals78
01-24-2009, 03:24 PM
On second thought, all that said, I would really hope we go a different route and stick with a 4-3 but draft guys to run a 3-4 in certain situations.

1. Aaron Curry LB Wake Forrest
2. Alex Mack C California
3. Jason Watkins OT Florida
3. Connor Barwin DE Cincinnati
4. Jason Phillips ILB TCU
5. Brennen Southerland FB Georgia
6. Kevin Huber P Cincinnati
7. Diyral Briggs OLB Bowling Green

UDFA: Antonio Dixon NT Miami FL

Bengalsrocket
01-24-2009, 06:29 PM
How much money do we have tied up in safeties exactly? A 7th round pick, a 4th round pick, and a journeyman? I also don't think we have an inordinate amount of money tied up in either Leon Hall or JJ. It would be a luxury pick for sure but I wouldn't be mad about it depending on whos available at that point.

Well I know Dexter Jackson's contract was pretty good at the time. You gotta think that Ndukwe will get a deal eventually too. I guess my concern is that we'll overpay for a secondary when we don't have the front 7 finished.

PalmerToCJ
01-24-2009, 06:46 PM
I had been thinking about Raji too. Given how he's shooting up. My only problem is what kind of pass rush would he provide? That's by far the most important thing. I know he's more of a run stuffer, him and Peko would never let anyone up the middle.

I read an interview with Zimmer on Bengals.com talking about kind of a "if it ain't broke don't fix it kind of idea". He was talking about how we already have a decent foundation and swapping might disrupt that.

At this point, the only way I'd support a 3-4 is on passing downs. Definitely not full time.

Raji is interesting but in my eyes, given Peko and potential/investment in Sims. I think it's either Curry or OT. All depending on how high Raji's stock soars. I do feel that he, like Curry would be a luxury pick really.

derza222
01-24-2009, 07:30 PM
I initially thought with Marvin's praise of Raji he could consider him at 6. However, with Peko and Sims a pretty solid duo that compliment each other pretty well unless they don't want one of them to start I do think they'd have to feel he's far and away the best player on the board to draft him. Offensive line makes the most sense, Crabtree could make some depending on what they opt to do with 85 and Housh. Wouldn't be too shocked if it actually happened though.

themaninblack
01-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Drafting Raji wouldn't be out of the question. Certainly not a need at this point but you can never really have too many solid DTs.

Bengals78
01-25-2009, 07:42 PM
I just hope my worst fears dont come true and we actually draft wells haha

Mike Brown's Pink Slip
01-26-2009, 04:53 AM
I'd love to see the Bengals get aggressive and make some trades, especially in that 20-40 range that's seemingly stocked with prospects. One offensive and one defensive prospect in every round I'd like to see under consideration:

1st round (6th overall): B.J. Raji (DT, BC) or Michael Oher (OT, Ole Miss)

1st round (low teens/early 20s): Clint Sintim (LB, Virginia) or Alex Mack (C, Cal)

2nd round: Connor Barwin (DE, Cincinnati) or Max Unger (OG, Oregon)

3rd round: Mike Mickens (CB, Cincinnati) or Shonn Greene (RB, Iowa)

4th round: Zach Follett (LB, Cal) or Jeremiah Johnson (RB, Oregon)

5th round: Pannel Egboh (DE, Stanford) or Bear Pascoe (TE, Fresno State)

6th round: Michael Tauiliili (LB, Duke) or Sammie Stroughter (WR, Oregon State)

7th round: Kevin Huber (P, Cincinnati) or Thomas Morstead (P, SMU) (Seriously, Kyle Larson is awful and should be replaced.)

Compensation picks will factor in pretty heavily, but IMO this is a deep draft and I think it would be smart to acquire a lot of picks, whether it be from trading Chad or trading from the 2010 draft picks. If you focus entirely on offense, you can rebuild the offensive line entirely (honestly, doesn't Oher/Unger/Mack/Whitworth/Collins sound solid?) and fill in some much-needed depth pieces (especially at RB). Defensively, there's plenty of room for a talent infusion; I'd love to see Aaron Curry as a Bengal, but if not Raji's perfectly capable. I also think that capable defensive players can be found in the later rounds; IMO, Follett is a major sleeper who could possibly start.

themaninblack
01-26-2009, 09:33 AM
I'd be pretty happy with most of that draft. I do not like Unger as much as some even at G but he could be similar to Steinbach with his ability to pull. Whit will prolly stay at LG with Bobbie at right so I don't really see a need for a G unless they feel like they need a future replacement for Williams. I'd definitely like to see a C and a OT at some point(though not really at 6 for the OT). If we could get a big RT later I'd be more than happy.

Mack or Caldwell at Center would be perfect though I don't see Mack making it to our 2nd pick. I can dream though.

Bengals78
01-26-2009, 06:48 PM
I think we are in a good position in this draft, if we somehow find away to cut the dead weight (Ocho, Levi and others) through strict cut or trade and keep TJ and Graham, we could have a GREAT draft, especially if we manage to trade back into the first round. I really hope management takes some big steps towards moving Chad and signing TJ. Can they ask for like a 2nd rounder and also pick up Chads salary hit like in baseball?

Aftermath
01-27-2009, 06:57 PM
I keep changing my mind but im finally sold on getting a potential Franchise LT.

Solomon
01-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Hey guys, just did a mock draft through five rounds and this is what I came up with for the Bengals. What are your thoughts?

1A: Brian Orakpo, DE - The Bengals pass rush is anemic but Orakpo could give them the boost they desperately need,

1B (From the Eagles for Ocho Cinco): Alex Mack, C - Cincinnati's O-Line was to blame for much of their woes this past season Mack would provide a big boost to possibly the weakest part of their line.

2: Phil Loadholt, OT - Loadholt would give the Bengals the huge, mauling RT they have required since Willie Anderson and bolster depth on their line. I don't expect them to resign Andrews at his price tag.

3: Donald Brown, RB - The patient, elusive Brown should make a good change of pace back to complement Cedric Benson.

4: Frantz Joseph, ILB - This might seem like too high of a selection for someone who Scott doesn't even have ranked but I think Joseph's stock will rise steadily until D Day. He has good size, is a great tackler, very physical and attacks the line of scrimmage very well. At the Texas vs the Nation practices he's been dominating. Joseph should be able to come in and get immediate playing time and maybe he'll eventually unseat Dhani Jones in the middle.

5: Tony Fiametta, FB - Fiametta is a natural fullback that can block, catch passes out of the backfield and is athletic enough to carry the ball as well. He should really help out in blitz pick ups and would allow Dan Coats to move back to his more natural position of TE.

Aftermath
01-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Hey guys, just did a mock draft through five rounds and this is what I came up with for the Bengals. What are your thoughts?

1A: Brian Orakpo, DE - The Bengals pass rush is anemic but Orakpo could give them the boost they desperately need,

1B (From the Eagles for Ocho Cinco): Alex Mack, C - Cincinnati's O-Line was to blame for much of their woes this past season Mack would provide a big boost to possibly the weakest part of their line.

2: Phil Loadholt, OT - Loadholt would give the Bengals the huge, mauling RT they have required since Willie Anderson and bolster depth on their line. I don't expect them to resign Andrews at his price tag.

3: Donald Brown, RB - The patient, elusive Brown should make a good change of pace back to complement Cedric Benson.

4: Frantz Joseph, ILB - This might seem like too high of a selection for someone who Scott doesn't even have ranked but I think Joseph's stock will rise steadily until D Day. He has good size, is a great tackler, very physical and attacks the line of scrimmage very well. At the Texas vs the Nation practices he's been dominating. Joseph should be able to come in and get immediate playing time and maybe he'll eventually unseat Dhani Jones in the middle.

5: Tony Fiametta, FB - Fiametta is a natural fullback that can block, catch passes out of the backfield and is athletic enough to carry the ball as well. He should really help out in blitz pick ups and would allow Dan Coats to move back to his more natural position of TE.

I like it besides Orakpo and Joseph.

Eugene Monroe/Jason Smith in place of Orakpo and maybe Darry Beckwith in place of Joseph.

MooshooGawd
01-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Here's what I want as of right now (it'll change)...

Scenario #1

1.) Jason Smith OT Baylor - Something just tells me that he's the safest choice of all the OT's.

2.) LeSean McCoy RB Pitt - The perfect change of pace from Benson (who we hopefully resign). If he's gone - and he likely will be - than I say Alex Mack C Cal.

Scenario #2

1.) Aaron Curry OLB Wake Forest - Just makes an improving defense even better.

2.) Phil Loadholt OT - Oklahoma - Instead of having a huge dollar OT, we can instead have one at a reasonable price for the next 4-5 years.

themaninblack
01-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Scenario 2 FTW. Though if Mack is still there we must take him.

Aftermath
01-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Scenario 2 FTW. Though if Mack is still there we must take him.

Honestly i like #1 more.

Curry is definitely my favorite prospect in the draft, but if we can get someone to man the blind side for a decade im all for it.

Aftermath
02-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Is Andre Smith the safest pick at our spot?

If he busts at LT, he could be the best RT in the league, a second Willie Anderson.

lost33cause
02-01-2009, 11:20 PM
My opinion is we don't even try him(Andre Smith) at LT. He's an ideal RT. Collins can man the LT spot.

PalmerToCJ
02-02-2009, 10:36 AM
If Collins takes one OT spot and we draft another in the first (or worst case the second), I'm happy.

themaninblack
02-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Collins can man the LT spot.

OMG you mean a FOURTH ROUNDER can do such a thing? lolz.

StripedWalrus
02-02-2009, 07:44 PM
I would be very happy with a

1 Curry
2 Loadholt
3 Wood/Caldwell/Luigs
4 Beckwith

Bengalsrocket
02-02-2009, 08:40 PM
I read on Bengals.com that they might try Whitworth at Left Tackle which could save us an early draft pick (we'd have to draft to replace him though).

PalmerToCJ
02-02-2009, 10:28 PM
I'd still rather us just draft a LT (if it's not Collins), granted they could try Whitworth at RT and Collins at LT then sign/draft a LG. There's a lot of different routes they could take which is nice.

I would prefer to go OT in the first like I said but if they think Curry or Raji or whoever else could take our defense to the next level then I'm all for it. If they go defense in the 1st then they MUST go OL in the 2nd.

PalmerToCJ
02-03-2009, 05:02 PM
What would you all like to see happen with our second rounder?

I think the dream scenario is Mack, we pretty much all agree on that one but what if he's not there (assuming we went OT in the 1st)?

I'd put Unger second given his versatility, not really sure who I'd favor after that. It obviously depends on who's left. If the right RB or LB was there they'd be worth a shot.

derza222
02-04-2009, 12:37 PM
It'll be interesting because the staff got a pretty good look at Mack, Unger, and Wood at the Senior Bowl and at least one of those guys is bound to be available in the second. Who knows if they like Wood that much, but C is obviously a huge need. I also agree the team is better off drafting a left tackle in the first. Stick Collins over on the right side and you'll have a fantastic set of bookend tackles. Provided you draft the center as well and that's a massive upgrade on the offensive line. The protection that a line that looks like this offers:

LT: Monroe/Smith/Smith/Oher
LG: Whitworth
C: Mack/Unger/Wood
RG: Williams
RT: Collins

Is so much more valuable than having a line like this:

LT: Collins
LG: Round 2/3 selection
C: Round 2/3 selection
RG: Williams
RT: Whitworth

Along with a guy like Curry. The first scenario there are a lot less question marks. No question marks at guard, you don't have rookies starting next to each other, a more talented tackle on both sides, and a better left guard as well. Don't get me wrong Curry is a great player but if you can solidify the offensive line, protect a hopefully healthy Palmer, and keep TJ and Benson around you're talking about probably having a top 10 offense again, to go along with a top 15 defense that's already improving. They have their high-level linebacker in Rivers already, get that offense back to an elite level by protecting Palmer and keeping his weapons around, and let the young guys on the defense improve and this is a scary, scary team next year. Add a quick RB to compliment Benson, a MLB, or maybe a defensive end in the third round along with the tackle and center, and that is an absolutely stellar draft for this team IMO.

themaninblack
02-04-2009, 01:25 PM
I don't see Whitworth moving to tackle as being that great an idea. The guy is likely a future all pro at guard and while I wouldn't put it past him to play RT at a very high level, he has never played there. As you all know I'm really torn on drafting a T in the first. I wouldn't be opposed but I think we've got more of a sure thing with Collins/Whitworth on the left. We get a Center and a RT n I think were in business. If Collins can really man the Right side which I'm not so sure of, then I could see a LT in the first.

EDIT: Plus, Levi Jones still does factor into this. He's gotten a lot of hate around here recently but I think we all know he is a player when healthy.

derza222
02-04-2009, 01:47 PM
I don't see Whitworth moving to tackle as being that great an idea. The guy is likely a future all pro at guard and while I wouldn't put it past him to play RT at a very high level, he has never played there. As you all know I'm really torn on drafting a T in the first. I wouldn't be opposed but I think we've got more of a sure thing with Collins/Whitworth on the left. We get a Center and a RT n I think were in business. If Collins can really man the Right side which I'm not so sure of, then I could see a LT in the first.

EDIT: Plus, Levi Jones still does factor into this. He's gotten a lot of hate around here recently but I think we all know he is a player when healthy.

When is Levi healthy though? I think the team is in the perfect position to select a left tackle, and if they do Levi just gets cut. It's hard to get stability on the offensive line and build chemistry when your left tackle is hurt so often.

As for Collins moving to the right side, he certainly has the size and bulk for it. It may be an adjustment, but he'll also be facing slightly lesser pass rushers which helps. Perhaps he struggles some adjusting this year, but long-term it's a position I think he can be elite playing both in pass-protection and the run game. And I could be wrong but I think he played some RT in practices and such last season.

The thing is in this division having two elite tackles really is huge. For instance, when playing the Steelers it would be awesome to have a tackle that can keep Harrison in check, but you need a guy that's capable of neutralizing Woodley on the other side as well. The Ravens don't quite have that kind of duo, but still every other defense in the division is a 3-4 so you need tackles good enough in pass pro to handle the quickness of pass-rushing OLB's. Having a good pass protector who could be playing LT on the right side along with a more true LT on the other side could be huge.

themaninblack
02-04-2009, 03:46 PM
When is Levi healthy though? I think the team is in the perfect position to select a left tackle, and if they do Levi just gets cut. It's hard to get stability on the offensive line and build chemistry when your left tackle is hurt so often.

As for Collins moving to the right side, he certainly has the size and bulk for it. It may be an adjustment, but he'll also be facing slightly lesser pass rushers which helps. Perhaps he struggles some adjusting this year, but long-term it's a position I think he can be elite playing both in pass-protection and the run game. And I could be wrong but I think he played some RT in practices and such last season.

The thing is in this division having two elite tackles really is huge. For instance, when playing the Steelers it would be awesome to have a tackle that can keep Harrison in check, but you need a guy that's capable of neutralizing Woodley on the other side as well. The Ravens don't quite have that kind of duo, but still every other defense in the division is a 3-4 so you need tackles good enough in pass pro to handle the quickness of pass-rushing OLB's. Having a good pass protector who could be playing LT on the right side along with a more true LT on the other side could be huge.

No team in this division has TWO elite tackles at all. I think Collins really came in and proved himself(against James Harrison of all people) right away. Yea, he struggled a bit after that game but we threw him in the fire against some of the best pass rushing DE/OLBs in the NFL and I'd say he did quite well. He can be our Franchise LT and I don't understand the real need for spending an insane amount of money on an even less proven commodity. I would not be against it like I said but I think if you keep him there and draft elsewhere you are really saving a ton. Maybe use that money to lock up Andrews who has recently came out and expressed interest in returning. He probably didn't play up to snuff this year but we definitely know he's got plenty of room to improve.

The way I see it is that the real problem with this OL wasn't necessarily the Tackles. It all starts in the middle and when your Center is notorious for not only getting blown up but also has problems with the protection, it is going to affect everyone else. Combine that with the fact that we had no semblance of health/chemistry and our QB has mobility problems, it just doesn't look pretty. We need to take all these things into consideration instead of just assuming that a top tackle is a guaranteed commodity and that we HAVE to take one that high. Joe Thomas doesn't happen everyday, hell, even he wasn't all that great this season.

Bengals78
02-04-2009, 04:51 PM
I am really hoping now more than ever, we go with a Defensive play maker. Curry, Orakpo, maybe even Everette Brown if he kicks some serious behind at the combine and such.

I really like Collins at LT. I am confident that if we do go with a defensive play maker in round 1, we can look at Loadholt in round 2 and possibly Eric Wood in round 3. Then look for at the ILB from TCU or Pitt with our comp pick.

derza222
02-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Not saying any team in the NFC North does have two elite tackles, and I misused the term anyway. Two tackles that are very good in pass protection was really what I should have said. This is a team that is going to naturally improve on defense. There is a lot of youth and talent, and the squad is already solid despite having to be on the field a lot. However the offense has the ability to make a quick turnaround to get to the elite level (this time I'm not misusing the term). I still believe Levi is dead weight, and you can either trust Collins who performed admirably on the left side or you can draft a left tackle if the value presents itself and have two very solid pass protectors. Add a center and that can be a fantastic offensive line, allowing a huge turnaround for the offense.

A guy like Curry is fine, I'm just not sure what kind of impact he's going to have on the defense. The real significant need is at MLB, and he's probably a better fit outside. Generally your impact linebackers are on the outside, and that's what you have Rivers for. Depth and youth at defensive tackle is very solid so that's not an issue, and maybe you go end but as far as I know you guys were against that. I just think a left tackle and a center allow for a quick offensive turnaround that can get this team back on top.

Bengals78
02-04-2009, 07:44 PM
A guy like Curry could do a lot for our defense. He is an impact player. We really need to address pass rush in the draft year, even if it is only a situational guy like Barwin. But it is something we need to address.

PalmerToCJ
02-04-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm perfectly fine with Collins at LT. If they think he can be a solid/productive RT though I think you move him there and draft a LT in the first. Either way our RT needs to run block. Willie and Williams were amazing at knocking people out of the way for Rudi. We need that kind of combination again, whatever that may be.

Truth be told, if Collins stayed in school he'd be up there with the big 4 OT's as well (maybe a tick behind, who knows really) but we would all be wanting to draft him to start so as I have said, I'm fine with him at LT.

1. Curry
2. RT
3. Wood, Unger maybe.

Would be a sick draft. Our defense would finally have some aggression and productivity. Teams haven't run on us like they used to and even when they did this year it was because we were so far behind they ran it on us 400 times and the guys got tired.

Mike Brown's Pink Slip
02-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Just say no to Phil Loadholt. He's a massive human being but his technique is a little sloppy IMO and he's too slow to be an effective LT. Just look at the Fiesta Bowl game in 2006 to now, and I don't think he's improved much, if at all, from a dismal performance. He'll likely be moved to guard in the pros.

Eric Wood definitely seems like a bargain in the third-round range. If he's available and the Bengals haven't addressed that need yet, it seems like a very good fit.

As enjoyable as it is to discuss the elite prospects of the draft, I love discussions about trading draft picks and the sixth overall pick seems like a prime target, what with a relatively level top eight picks. But consider: according to the value chart, the sixth overall pick can net us both of Philly's 1st-rounders, their third rounder and extra considerations. That could be Alex Mack, Eben Britton and Trevor Canfield with a second-rounder and a third-rounder still unused.

Bengals78
02-05-2009, 01:54 AM
Loadholt will be a very good RT in the NFL....hey we need a RT

BengalMedic
02-05-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm not sold on Loadholt as well, but that's the coaches job. That being the case, I would love to see Curry in the first. I think Mack will be gone, so minus a trade up into the bottom of the first, I would say Unger in the 2nd due to his versatility, and then look DE (maybe) in the 3rd.

I would love to see the center position addressed in free agency to free up the draft. If we get one in FA, I still say we take one but not until later than the 2nd. Next years draft class of centers looks VERY WEAK !!!

rickscott
02-05-2009, 12:53 PM
If we sign a Center in free agency, I still believe that we need to draft one unless our signee is Brown from the Ravens. I also love Curry and Smith's weight at this age scares me some. I'd be happier if the guy was sitting at 320 now rather than 340. He may be 360 in a year. I would love to see us with Curry and Unger in the first 2 rounds but I would be very happy with MNonroe or Smith in Rd 1 and unger or Mack in rd 2 also.

PalmerToCJ
02-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Scott's latest mock is sweet for us.

Andre Smith and Mack would automatically improve our Oline immensely. I can take our WR's screwing up or the RB just not finding holes but man is it frustrating when they can't even get a pass off or they have to make their first cut in the backfield.

I'd say currently, I'd most like to see Curry in the first. Not our biggest need but man he'd be a sweet addition. Will not be disappointed with either Smith or Monroe.

themaninblack
02-05-2009, 11:28 PM
I like Andre Smith's talent a ton and before his little suspension thingy I would have been all for it. He is, IMO, the most talented of the top Tackles but I just don't like investing that type of money in a guy with character like that. Say what you will about our history picking guys of questionable character but its not as though we spend first rounders(especially picks this high) on such a thing.

Even though I'm not really sold on a Tackle with our first pick, if we were to go that route I'd want either Monroe or Oher instead.

Bengals78
02-06-2009, 12:46 PM
IMO, our draft board should look like this:

1. Aaron Curry - Too talented and special a player to not consider.
2. Andre Smith - Despite his incident off-field, not a serious one, only weight issues can slow him down...(Good LT or Pro Bowl RT)
3. Jason Smith - Probably one of the best pass pro OT in the draft. Collins to RT Smith at LT
4. Brian Orakpo - Our pass rush was so pathetic, a hard worker with great pass rush will help.
5. Michael Oher - I have my doubts about his consistency and it worries me if he would be in charge of protecting Carson's blind side.
6. Alex Mack - Reach, Check. Best center since Mangold, IMO Check. Huge need, you friggen bet your ass.

gpngc
02-17-2009, 07:41 PM
What about Raji at #6?

PalmerToCJ
02-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Not a big fan of Raji (for us anyway). He's a NT type guy, Peko is a great NT. We need a UT to disrupt the pocket. Sims did a fairly decent job of this in his rookie year, I'm confident with him next to Peko. For me, it's basically Curry or OT in the 1st. I would prefer Curry although he's not as big of a need. Trading back would be sweet but don't really see a suitor for a deal.

gpngc
02-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Not a big fan of Raji (for us anyway). He's a NT type guy, Peko is a great NT. We need a UT to disrupt the pocket. Sims did a fairly decent job of this in his rookie year, I'm confident with him next to Peko. For me, it's basically Curry or OT in the 1st. I would prefer Curry although he's not as big of a need. Trading back would be sweet but don't really see a suitor for a deal.

My thing is I love Collins (loved him last year- thought he was a 2nd rounder before the draft and was passed on way too long). So I just don't know if you draft a RT at #6. JMO.

Bengals78
02-17-2009, 11:43 PM
You do if it brings you that much closer to our offense of 05
Smith is proven to be a absolute force in the run game and at RT for us, I think that would be worth it having him next to Williams in a run game. Just get a center in round 2 or 3.

themaninblack
02-18-2009, 03:18 PM
I love how Scott ALWAYS has to take a shot at the Bengals every time they are brought up ;).

I could really see Andre Smith or Curry at 6 right now. Even if Andre ends up playing RT for us it would not be that big of a deal to draft that position at 6 given our current situation. If I were to compare him with AC, it would seem to me that AC is better suited at LT than Andre is but I am sure it would work either way with those two. I think it is most evident in the Run game, where Smith is pretty much unrivaled in this draft. He may be a little better overall athlete than AC but it is not a huge difference.

rickscott
02-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Andre Smith's weight worries me some. I actually think Willie Anderson played a little bit too large in his later years. These OTs that weigh in at 340 as rookies are just too big to move on the quick DEs IMO

themaninblack
02-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Andre Smith's weight worries me some. I actually think Willie Anderson played a little bit too large in his later years. These OTs that weigh in at 340 as rookies are just too big to move on the quick DEs IMO

I'm actually more worried about his maturity than his weight. Both are definitely not positives but I feel like if he came here we could have a problem on our hands.

PalmerToCJ
02-19-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm actually more worried about his maturity than his weight. Both are definitely not positives but I feel like if he came here we could have a problem on our hands.

Agreed. Would not be disappointed if we didn't take him, would not be disappointed if we did.

Bengals78
02-19-2009, 10:59 PM
His weight seems to have been exaggerated by reports. He measured in at 6-4 and 330ish. If we could grab him and Mack I would be ecstatic.

Then in later rounds pick up Southerland for FB. And Tony Dixon late round.

WR - Caldwell

LT - Collins
LG - Whitworth FB - Southerland
C - Mack QB - Palmer
RG - Williams RB - Benson/Dixon
RT - Smith
TE - Utecht

WR- OchoCinco

Then draft either Connor Barwin or Paul Kruger to add pass rush, then Jason Phillips at ILB with the comp 3rd round pick and Nic Harris in round 4 or 5.

Our defense looks like:

DE: Odom/Kruger or Barwin
DT: Peko
DT: Sims
DE: Geathers/Kruger or Barwin
OLB: Rivers
ILB: Phillips
OLB: Harris/Johnson
FS: White
SS: Ndukwe
CB: JJ & Leon

themaninblack
02-20-2009, 01:28 PM
I would really like to take a look at Nic Harris if hes available to us. I really feel like he's gonna be a similar player to Thomas Davis though probably not quite as athletic. He could add a nice dimension to our defense though.

SC Igniter
02-21-2009, 09:17 AM
I liked the Jason Smith interview, his attitude and commitment seems to be what we need on the team. This combined with his athleticism could be a could package to work with at the LT spot for our 1st pick.

It well be interesting to see what or if we do anything significant with FA centers and resigning Benson/Jeantry. This will frame the priority for us in rounds 2-4.

themaninblack
02-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Yea Jason Smith is looking real good and Andre is pretty much blowing it at this point.

Bengals78
02-21-2009, 08:22 PM
I dont think Andre is blowing it. I think he will work out at his proday and work out good.

Bengals78
02-21-2009, 08:24 PM
And I really want us to get Nic Harris too MIB. He is not a big play maker but he is a solid tackler and good in coverage.

themaninblack
02-23-2009, 02:46 PM
I dont think Andre is blowing it. I think he will work out at his proday and work out good.

True, but admitting to not working out for the combine is just not a smart move. Even if he wasn't going to participate he should still be working as hard as possible and thats going to be a question mark for him on draft day even if he turns in a great pro day.

themaninblack
02-23-2009, 02:48 PM
And I really want us to get Nic Harris too MIB. He is not a big play maker but he is a solid tackler and good in coverage.

I really like him and Kaluka Maiava(sp?) on day 2 hopefully.

Curry just turned in a fabulous day and I'd be surprised if hes available to us at 6.

staubach41
02-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Out of a pure fiscal standpoint I don't think that we will draft an OT to play RT at #6, I think we should go Jason Smith to protect the blind side and move Collins to RT, consider we don't know how Andrews will return. I like Jason better than Andre because of how he protects, Carson needs to be protected for stake of injuries and fumbles.

Not sure this is the forum for this question but what do you guys think of Jason Shirley? For some reason I have been high on him ever since seeing him in training camp. Think he can help out the rotation any?

Bengals78
02-23-2009, 09:05 PM
I really like the other Samoan from USC not Rey too.

And welcome Staubach41, dig the name my friend.
Shirley needs to get some things in order mentally. Not big issues but seeing videos of him, this kid really does have it all physically and just needs the mental aspect to top it off. Reminds me of a Haynesworth kinda player, not that good but in his mold.

staubach41
02-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks, yeah I could see that mentally, would be nice for him to live up to his potential.

Bengals78
02-23-2009, 09:20 PM
I've seen videos of Shirley tossing players aside like they were nothing at all. He has the tools to do it. Just needs to put it together

DI
02-24-2009, 11:50 AM
If Jason Smith, Curry, Monroe and Raji are gone before you guys pick, whos the pick?

princefielder28
02-24-2009, 12:35 PM
I am running the Bengals in the current forum mock and I wanna know what you guys think of what I have done so far....

#6 :: BJ Raji, DT, Boston College
#22 :: James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State
#69 :: Andy Levitre, OG, Oregon State
#81 :: Jonathan Luigs, C, Arkansas
#134 :: Sebastian Vollmer, OT, Houston
#140 :: Marko Mitchell, WR, Nevada
#143 :: Mark Parson, CB, Ohio
#163 :: Phillip Hunt, DE, Houston

I have one pick left yet too.

Bengals78
02-24-2009, 02:02 PM
If Jason Smith, Curry, Monroe and Raji are gone before you guys pick, whos the pick?

Most likely Andre Smith.

Bengals78
02-24-2009, 02:07 PM
I am running the Bengals in the current forum mock and I wanna know what you guys think of what I have done so far....

#6 :: BJ Raji, DT, Boston College
#22 :: James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State
#69 :: Andy Levitre, OG, Oregon State
#81 :: Jonathan Luigs, C, Arkansas
#134 :: Sebastian Vollmer, OT, Houston
#140 :: Marko Mitchell, WR, Nevada
#143 :: Mark Parson, CB, Ohio
#163 :: Phillip Hunt, DE, Houston

I have one pick left yet too.

Raji is ok. I hate the Laurinaitis pick. Not sure we take an OG that early, Luigs is my #3 Center so he is ok. I really know very little about the rest. And waiting til pick #134 is way too long to wait to address OT. Draft OT instead of Levitre and its better.

princefielder28
02-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Raji is ok. I hate the Laurinaitis pick. Not sure we take an OG that early, Luigs is my #3 Center so he is ok. I really know very little about the rest. And waiting til pick #134 is way too long to wait to address OT. Draft OT instead of Levitre and its better.

Let me give an explanation for all of my selections...

Raji :: IMO he is a Top 5 talent in this draft and would help the Bengals front 4/rotation greatly.

Laurinaitis :: The Bengals don't have a young solution at MLB and Laurinaitis is the best 4-3 ILB in the draft and the value was good.

Levitre :: He is one of the three best guards in the draft, and even though he may not be an immediate contributor he will fit nicely as the RG for years to come.

Luigs :: He is my 2nd favorite center in the draft behind Mack, and thanks to my signing of Jeff Saturday, he would be allowed to sit for his first year or two and learn the position on the NFL level.

Vollmer :: Unless I had gone OT at #6, the value at tackle wasn't there with my other picks and that is why I waited to land Vollmer this late in the draft. Vollmer has been very impressive in postseason work, and for someone who is still relatively new to the game, the sky is the limit for him. He's a perfect fit at right tackle and forms quite a line for the future. Collins-Whitworth-Luigs-Levitre-Vollmer

Mitchell :: Marko is a prospect I compare (STRIP as well) to Chad Johnson and if he is able to adapt to the NFL game this kid has a chance to be a very big contributor in the NFL.

Parson :: One of the top cover corners in the draft and his value was too good to pass up that late in the draft.

Hunt :: The Bengals' pass rush has alot to be desired and Hunt's ability to get to the QB will be a big boost for their defense.

Bengals78
02-24-2009, 04:50 PM
I think Laurinaitis fits best in a cover 2 system, not the straight 4-3 we run (and supposedly mixing in more 3-4 packages as we get the players). He is a talented player but I do not think he fits well here. I give you credit on the explanations though.

PalmerToCJ
02-24-2009, 05:19 PM

To be honest, I'm not sure. I've considered the same scenario, I'm somewhat afraid it'll be Crabtree. If Curry/Monroe/Smith are gone it'd be really nice to trade back

PF28... Given who is available I'd MUCH rather have Monroe at 6. Raji would be a luxury pick, Peko is very solid at NT and Sims showed promise. Our Oline has some major holes.

Not sure how well Laurinaitis fits our scheme but we definitely need to address MLB for the future, given who's there I like the pick. I like Levitre, Oline depth is never a bad thing. Really like the Luigs pick.

derza222
02-24-2009, 05:26 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure. I've considered the same scenario, I'm somewhat afraid it'll be Crabtree. If Curry/Monroe/Smith are gone it'd be really nice to trade back

PF28... Given who is available I'd MUCH rather have Monroe at 6. Raji would be a luxury pick, Peko is very solid at NT and Sims showed promise. Our Oline has some major holes.

Not sure how well Laurinaitis fits our scheme but we definitely need to address MLB for the future, given who's there I like the pick. I like Levitre, Oline depth is never a bad thing. Really like the Luigs pick.

Seems like the team generally has faith in Caldwell and Simpson, so hopefully they stick to their guns there and pass on Crabtree. Agree that it's a really uncertain scenario though...still wonder if they try to find that lanky pass-rushing end this draft, that could be a good scenario to go after it. Smith may be the best option there given the needs and value/upside.

SC Igniter
02-24-2009, 05:41 PM
My feeling is that we will settle in on a OT for our 1st pick - preferably either Smith kid from Baylor or Monroe

Being from SC, one player that I want to promote is ILB Jasper Brinkley. He plays tough/hard and could be a good fit into our system, somewhere around 3-4 round pick. He is a player and I would love for him to wear bengal stripes.

The 1st 2 rounds will be dictated by what happens in FA's signings

Bengals78
02-24-2009, 06:46 PM
I've been liking Brinkley for a long time, he would look good in stripes. I went off of him in mocks bc of his weight. But he came into the combine and looked in shape and ran pretty well.

PalmerToCJ
02-24-2009, 09:40 PM
X3 on Brinkley. I'm a UK fan so I got to see him play and really liked what I saw. Anxious to see Scott's take on him.

Bengals78
02-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Do you guys think anyone would want to trade up to #6?
I'm thinking it would be best for us to trade back in round 1 and pick up some draft picks. Im thinking like 15 - 20 or so. So figure a 1st and 2nd (minimum)

Round 1 - Alex Mack C California
Round 2a - Jasper Brinkley ILB South Carolina
Round 2b - Phil Loadholt OT Oklahoma
Round 3 - Lawrence Sidbury Jr, DE Richmond
Round 3 (comp) - Nic Harris OLB Oklahoma
Round 4 - Asher Allen CB Georgia
Round 5 - Ian Johnson RB Boise St
Round 6 - Brannan Southerland FB Georgia
Round 7 - Dicky Lyons Jr WR Kentucky

Ill add explanations soon.

gpngc
02-24-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm thinking it would be best for us to trade back in round 1 and pick up some draft picks. Im thinking like 15 - 20 or so. So figure a 1st and 2nd (minimum)

Whoa whoa. Your selling your team short. Those guys are all about a round too high.

You could probably have that entire draft -1 of them + Eugene Monroe.

Mack should be there in round 2 and Loadholt and Sidbury should be there in the third.

Brinkley would probably be there in the 4th (and I personally think he's a better fit for a 3-4 than your D.) Beckwith might be a better option.

Bengals78
02-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Whoa whoa. Your selling your team short. Those guys are all about a round too high.

You could probably have that entire draft -1 of them + Eugene Monroe.

Mack should be there in round 2 and Loadholt and Sidbury should be there in the third.

Brinkley would probably be there in the 4th (and I personally think he's a better fit for a 3-4 than your D.) Beckwith might be a better option.

I actually had Beckwith there originally but I really like Brinkley. I think we are slowly working on adding more 3-4 into our defense and he would sit behind and rotate with Jones.

Mack IMO is first round talent. And I think he could go there. I haven't been keeping up with risers/fallers and all that junk lately. Been busy.

gpngc
02-24-2009, 10:10 PM
I actually had Beckwith there originally but I really like Brinkley. I think we are slowly working on adding more 3-4 into our defense and he would sit behind and rotate with Jones.

Mack IMO is first round talent. And I think he could go there. I haven't been keeping up with risers/fallers and all that junk lately. Been busy.

Sure.

Thing is, if Mack did go first round, that probably means Unger would fall to your pick.

Bengals78
02-24-2009, 10:14 PM
I am not big on Unger at all. I have my Centers ranked:
Mack
Wood
Luigs
Unger

gpngc
02-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Mack
Wood
Luigs
Unger

Yikes.

Unger is a pro bowl center for 12 years IMO.

Bengals78
02-24-2009, 10:20 PM
I just never saw it. IDK Just me I guess. I like what Scott said of him "Jack of all trades, master of none?"

He is a talented player but I'm not sold he is best suited for C in the pros.

StripedWalrus
02-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Mack
Wood
Luigs
Unger

I myself have them Ranked

Mack
Wood
Unger
Caldwell

Even Comparing with Free Agency I would rather have Mack than Brown...I dont know how I feel on Wood or Unger above Brown though.

I think the Bengals should pursue Mack or Wood though rather than go Free Agency.

The Dream draft of mine has turned into

1 Monroe
2 Mack
3 Beckwith

princefielder28
02-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Yikes.

Unger is a pro bowl center for 12 years IMO.

Unger is way too soft and doesn't get enough push to be an excellent player in a scheme that is not the ZBS.

themaninblack
02-25-2009, 10:59 PM
yeah we definitely need a Center who is stout at the point and provides some punch especially in this division with the likes of Haloti Ngata, Shaun Rogers, and Casey Hampton playing NT.

SC Igniter
02-26-2009, 05:59 AM
I agree we need a bigger center to handle the NT's in our division, Brown would be the perfect FA to fill that role. This is my preference, however, it would be a more expensive route verses the draft so i am not so sure if the Brown family would pull the trigger on this one. I like it though as it would free up draft picks in rounds 2-4 to go after other needs...plus fill a critical void in our line. It will be interesting to see how the Bengals handle this one.

themaninblack
02-26-2009, 01:07 PM
I agree we need a bigger center to handle the NT's in our division, Brown would be the perfect FA to fill that role. This is my preference, however, it would be a more expensive route verses the draft so i am not so sure if the Brown family would pull the trigger on this one. I like it though as it would free up draft picks in rounds 2-4 to go after other needs...plus fill a critical void in our line. It will be interesting to see how the Bengals handle this one.

I would actually prefer them to use FA to get a quality C as well. Whether that be Jeff Saturday, Matt Birk, or Brown. If not, then we draft one.

Solomon
02-26-2009, 01:46 PM

Yeah if you guys could grab Brown in FA then have a draft that goes something like this:

1. Eugene Monroe
2. Connor Barwin/Michael Johnson
3. BPA (Shawn Nelson, Brian Robiskie, Shonn Greene, James Casey, Andre Brown etc)
4. Frantz Joseph
5. Tony Fiametta

You would be looking pretty good...

rickscott
02-26-2009, 02:04 PM

Ill add explanations soon.

I think Sanchez has to have someone wanting to move up. If we look to deal, I think we'll find a partner. Oher at around 10 would be fine with me.

staubach41
02-28-2009, 11:40 AM
I agree that we probably won't get a center through FA because of the expense. However, considering both Saturday and Brown are off the market, do the Bengals have any interest in Birk?

MooshooGawd
03-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Birk hasn't gotten much interest. His price tag is apparently pretty high. But I read that he's going to start making visits next week.

Another possibility at #6 would be B.J. Raji. The guy dominates, he worked with the Bengals coaches at the Senior Bowl, and he rushes the passer as well as anyone I've seen. Pat Sims and Peko are a good starting tandem, but Raji could make for a hell of a D-line. Plus he can play NT in case we wanted to switch to 3-4.

themaninblack
03-01-2009, 11:56 AM
I agree that we probably won't get a center through FA because of the expense. However, considering both Saturday and Brown are off the market, do the Bengals have any interest in Birk?

The money really isn't much of an issue for Centers with the exception probably being Birk. Brown just got like 6 or 7 mil a year.

StripedWalrus
03-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Well I am doing a group mock on these forums right now...I landed Monroe in the first round and the second round is now looming. Alex Mack was taken by the Cardinals...and he was my leading canidate in the 2nd. There are some possibilities left and if anyone wants to pm me what they think I would be greatly appreciative.

Here is a link to the draft that is going on right now.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30563

PalmerToCJ
03-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Given we take an OT in the 1st and Mack isn't there. I'm starting to become a big fan of Sintim.

Smokey
03-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Well I am doing a group mock on these forums right now...I landed Monroe in the first round and the second round is now looming. Alex Mack was taken by the Cardinals...and he was my leading canidate in the 2nd. There are some possibilities left and if anyone wants to pm me what they think I would be greatly appreciative.

This draft has sadly died a quick death like many of the group collaborations. We started the draft on free agency eve and things expectedly got thrown out of whack. But we've started from scratch and I'll be representing the Bengals. Will keep you posted and hope to do you proud.

MooshooGawd
03-02-2009, 06:27 PM

GET US MCCOY!!!

roscoesdad27
03-06-2009, 01:47 PM
1) J. Smith l.t. baylor
extremely good pass blocker that will extend palmers career protecting his blindside...an investment here is a no brainer and jason is perfect for your scheme.

2) A. Mack c cal
physical center and filmroom junkie...punishing run blocker and steady pass blocker to provide more protection for your franchise q.b....line general and natural leader.

3) J. Brinkly mlb/solb s. carolina
mlb in college that i think would make a great solb opposite keith rivers...had a productive career and would have likely been a first rounder if it wasnt for injury concerns....had a tremendous combine and seems 100% to me.

complete mock here
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1533596&posted=1#post1533596

thoughts?

SC Igniter
03-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Impressed with your 3 round mock along descriptions of each player. I wouldn't have a clue on how to put one of those together. good job

At the start, I just don't see A Smith going in the top 10 because of his ill advised antics at the combine. Considering this and other previous issues its unlikely he goes #2. The Bengals did interview him at the combine along with 3 of the other top rated OT's and they said 2 out of 4 were clueless on overall football knowledge (i assume this was A Smith and Oher). Perhaps he changes all of this at his pro day - I doubt it.

I think the Jason Smith goes in that spot and my hope is E Monroe will be around for our 1st pick. My gut says this won't happen which leads us to a couple of options that we can go with, including trading down, which is what I prefer.

I'm really OK with your 2 & 3 picks.

MooshooGawd
03-08-2009, 06:45 PM
1) J. Smith l.t. baylor
extremely good pass blocker that will extend palmers career protecting his blindside...an investment here is a no brainer and jason is perfect for your scheme.

2) A. Mack c cal
physical center and filmroom junkie...punishing run blocker and steady pass blocker to provide more protection for your franchise q.b....line general and natural leader.

3) J. Brinkly mlb/solb s. carolina
mlb in college that i think would make a great solb opposite keith rivers...had a productive career and would have likely been a first rounder if it wasnt for injury concerns....had a tremendous combine and seems 100% to me.

complete mock here
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1533596&posted=1#post1533596

thoughts?

That's pretty much a perfect draft.

MooshooGawd
03-08-2009, 06:52 PM
After this last weeks moves, here's who I'm wanting at 6.

1.) Aaron Curry - doubtful, I know. But you know how draft day gets. All it'll take is for a few offensive tackles to get taken and for the Browns to take Orakpo or Crabtree and he'll be sitting right there for us to take.

2.) B.J. Raji - I just love the idea of adding his pass rushing abilities to the line. Every team in the division has a big nasty DT except for us. It also allows you to continue to rotate fresh D-linemen in there with him, Sims and Peko.

3.) Andre Smith - I already can hear people saying 'here's Cincinnati taking another guy with character issues', but I do think Andre Smith is getting the wrong end of the stick here. The guy has all the talent in the world and everyone seems to have their heart set on punishing him because he wasn't prepared to do his drills at the combine. I see him as a dominant player for us, whether it's at LT or RT.

Mike Brown's Pink Slip
03-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Trading down at this point seems like almost the ideal situation. Offensively, there are just too many holes to fill and the defense still needs a drastic upgrade in talent. Trading down from sixth overall to the 12-13 range will net us at least a second-round pick and possibly more. Let's say, for the sake of assumption, that we can net a second and a fourth to move down several spots. Take that second and a 2010 pick, and collect a lower second, third and fourth from someone.

Assuming that we are allotted a third-round compensatory selection, this is what I'd like to see Cincinnati try:

1. Alex Mack, C, California
2a. Clint Sintim, OLB, Virginia
2b. Connor Barwin, DE/OLB, Cincinnati (rocketing up draft boards)
3a. Jarron Gilbert, DT, San Jose State (also rocketing up draft boards)
3b. Andre Brown, RB, North Carolina State
3c. Dannell Ellerbe, ILB, Georgia
4a. Jeremiah Johnson, RB, Oregon
4b. Fenuki Tupou, OT, Oregon
4c. Jason Phillips, ILB, TCU (injured)
5. Trevor Canfield, G, Cincinnati
6. Louis Vasquez, G, Texas Tech
7. Brannan Southerland, FB, Georgia (that's for you, Bengals78)

That fills a lot of holes without too many reaches. If the FO wasn't so conservative I'd love to see them go for a home run in this draft. There's about two of every major position, so the idea is that at least one of them will work out and fill a role on the team.

StripedWalrus
03-09-2009, 05:46 AM
Trading down at this point seems like almost the ideal situation. Offensively, there are just too many holes to fill and the defense still needs a drastic upgrade in talent. Trading down from sixth overall to the 12-13 range will net us at least a second-round pick and possibly more. Let's say, for the sake of assumption, that we can net a second and a fourth to move down several spots. Take that second and a 2010 pick, and collect a lower second, third and fourth from someone.

Assuming that we are allotted a third-round compensatory selection, this is what I'd like to see Cincinnati try:

That fills a lot of holes without too many reaches. If the FO wasn't so conservative I'd love to see them go for a home run in this draft. There's about two of every major position, so the idea is that at least one of them will work out and fill a role on the team.

Been playing alot of Madden Franchise lately? That is a horribly unrealistic scenario right there. 12-13 range is also a reach of about double digits for mack

Bengalsrocket
03-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Been playing alot of Madden Franchise lately? That is a horribly unrealistic scenario right there. 12-13 range is also a reach of about double digits for mack

hhahahaha. I'm not sure I even get it. He took our 1st and got a worse 1st and second for it (LOL?) and then took that second and got a worse second, third, fourth for it? ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFL

You realize that you took 1 pick, traded it back 7 spots and got 3 extra picks? early picks at that lol.

These kind of trades don't happen in the NFL unless Mike Ditka gets a hard on for Ricky Williams.

StripedWalrus
03-09-2009, 04:41 PM

This Draft encompasses

4 - Olineman
2 - RB
1 - FB
4 - LB
1 - DT

Plus I think we are going to get a 5th comp as well as our 3rd. So add another player.

Now...assuming this happens...where are you going to plug in all the players that are drafted to fit the depth cahrt...and where are the current players going to go that are on the roster?

MooshooGawd
03-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Our pick might be a very valuable pick to teams like Tampa, the Jets and the Niners considering they need a QB and Sanchez will be sitting right there.

SC Igniter
03-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Well according to NFL.COM site, Andre Smith bombed during his workout today. Not one of the times/measurements that he performed would of broken into the top 10 OT combine scores. Oops - is it too late to bring back Willie? What are we going to do with our line, we've gone from the leagues best to worst in 3 years. I just don't think Monroe or the other Smith will be there for us at #1. Do we still pick Andre because of our glaring need??

PalmerToCJ
03-11-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm terrified of what will happen with Monroe/Curry/Jason Smith off the board. Hopefully trade back to 10-20, get a 2nd rounder and just pick BPA in the 1st. Then address OT/C in the 2nd.

There was is an interesting mock by BeerBaron in the mock draft forum that has us trading #6 to Denver for #12 and #48. Then it had us taking Mauluga at 12, then say we take Mack in the 2nd and Beatty as well.

Pat Sims 90
03-12-2009, 08:32 AM
I'm terrified of what will happen with Monroe/Curry/Jason Smith off the board. Hopefully trade back to 10-20, get a 2nd rounder and just pick BPA in the 1st. Then address OT/C in the 2nd.

There was is an interesting mock by BeerBaron in the mock draft forum that has us trading #6 to Denver for #12 and #48. Then it had us taking Mauluga at 12, then say we take Mack in the 2nd and Beatty as well.

I would like us to trade back but if we trade back i dont want us to take Mauluga i think he most overrated player in the draft he is injury prone plus he is too slow to cover TE ran 4.80 Only rep i give him is he can lay out the hits

themaninblack
03-12-2009, 01:42 PM
I would like us to trade back but if we trade back i dont want us to take Mauluga i think he most overrated player in the draft he is injury prone plus he is too slow to cover TE ran 4.80 Only rep i give him is he can lay out the hits

He is an inside linebacker so I doubt he would ever really have to cover a TE too much. I wouldn't be against taking Maualuga even though I also think he is somewhat overrated.

If all the top tackles are gone and we have no way to trade back I think we should draft BJ Raji. I love our DT's as much as anyone but adding Raji would make for a pretty devastating rotation as well as making the 3-4 more of a possibility if we so choose. Everette Brown, Brian Orakpo, and Andre Smith are all possibilities as well.

Bengals78
03-12-2009, 02:32 PM
If we take Raji, we should look at a 3-4 DE in round 3 or 4 then because I don't see one I like on our roster outside of possibly Peko.

OLB: Geathers
DE:Peko
NT: Raji
DE: Odom? (Id prefer drafting Jarron Gilbert or Rickey Jean Francois for here)
OLB:
ILB: Jones
ILB: Brinkley (we really should draft him)

Mr.Regular
03-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Hey Bengals fans, give me some insight on what your team would do if the first round started off
Stafford
J.Smith
Curry
Monroe
Orakpo

Im debating between putting Andre Smith, Oher, and Raji, but none seem like great fits. Obviously trading down would be a priority but let's say that isn't an option.

Bengals78
03-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Andre Smith or Raji.
And if trades aren't in it, a stretch would be Maualuga, Brown or even Knowshon

SC Igniter
03-13-2009, 06:20 PM
First of all I'm not for us drafting Andre Smith - no way. I think we must go fill the bigger needs with our 1st pick verses value, one can argue otherwise, my opinion is that we need to avoid the DT and WR positions with our 1st. So if Monroe and Orakpo are off the board (and I would jump on either of them if they weren't), and if we couldn't draft down, this leaves us in a tough spot. Convinced it will be either a OT or DE in the first, so this leaves Oher or E Brown in the scenario you propose, which is a stretch for both. I hope this doesn't happen.

Bucimal Island
03-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Hi, Bengal fans. I am doing a draft and im going to each team's forum and asking them who they want their teams to take

Detroit - Matt Stafford QB
St. Louis - OT Jason Smith
Kansas City - LB Aaron Curry
Seattle - OT Eugene Monroe
Cleveland - DE Brian Orakpo
Cincy - ?

OK, who would you guys like? Ill be back later. thanks.

Bengals78
03-17-2009, 01:25 PM
IF we cannot trade #6 overall, I am really unsure of what we should do now. I am starting to think Andre Smith might be the best option, I mean we have to address the O-Line. Raji is possible and so is Orakpo if there. We are in a great spot to trade back, which I hope happens.

Bengals78
03-17-2009, 01:28 PM
BJ Raji or Andre Smith if trades aren't allowed.

StripedWalrus
03-17-2009, 02:00 PM
IF we cannot trade #6 overall, I am really unsure of what we should do now. I am starting to think Andre Smith might be the best option, I mean we have to address the O-Line. Raji is possible and so is Orakpo if there. We are in a great spot to trade back, which I hope happens.

Andre Smith isnt even on my radar any more. His work ethic is so bad we couldn't afford to spend a high pick on him. BJ Raji, Orakpo, maybe Brown...seem to be the only possibilities at that particular pick...

PalmerToCJ
03-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Andre Smith isnt even on my radar any more. His work ethic is so bad we couldn't afford to spend a high pick on him. BJ Raji, Orakpo, maybe Brown...seem to be the only possibilities at that particular pick...

Agreed, I'd really just assume stay away from him at 6 anyway.

I'm in favor of Raji if our main guys are gone, not a huge fan of the pick given who we've got but that's just the way it might play out. Can't see reaching for Oher.

Bengals78
03-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Maualuga is the only other one I want but not unless we drop out of top 10

themaninblack
03-17-2009, 06:09 PM
I am starting to think Brown at 6 is a big possibility. I really like his athleticism and wide array of pass rush moves. He could end up being our DE/SLB tweener ala Pollack and its not like we would have to rush him into that sort of transition. He could spend his first year in a rotation at end coming in on passing situations.

MooshooGawd
03-17-2009, 08:26 PM
I am starting to think Brown at 6 is a big possibility. I really like his athleticism and wide array of pass rush moves. He could end up being our DE/SLB tweener ala Pollack and its not like we would have to rush him into that sort of transition. He could spend his first year in a rotation at end coming in on passing situations.
I don't like Brown, but I think that it's because I'm just cautious about FSU players after the likes of Wilson and Wimbley.

My dream scenario at this point would be one of the following...

1st Round

a.) (Assuming Monroe, Smith and Curry are gone) Trade down with a team looking to get a QB or WR (Jax, SF, Den?) Then you draft OT Michael Oher.

b.) **TRADE** - Bengals trade their 2nd Rounder (pick 38) and their 4th rounder (pick 102) to Philly for the 28th pick. Bengals then draft C Alex Mack, because we can't risk him being taken before our pick in the 2nd. Knowing our luck, he would.

It's not flashy, but with Oher and Mack you would have had a very solid draft.

I think that would be a smart and realistic scenario, but it's also hard to not be greedy and take Raji. Oh god, how awesome would it be to have a Wilfork sized monster like that on our D-Line and breaking Big Ben in half?

Bengals78
03-18-2009, 10:11 AM
This only applies to us though, Raji = Wilkinson. Only if we draft him because we are the bengals

rickscott
03-18-2009, 09:34 PM
With a good Pro Day, I'm beginning to worry that Beanie Wells could be getting back into the picture. I'm all for Oher after a trade oif a few slots down in rd 1. I even would consider taking Oher at 6 in a scenerio similar to us taking Levi years ago. It worked then; if the guy ends up being a solid LT, then for metaking him at 6 is ok if we find no trading partners./

themaninblack
03-18-2009, 10:40 PM
I don't really buy into the whole program pedigree thing but I know we have exactly had the best of luck with FSU players. I could see Oher as well rick and don't count Andre Smith out of this. I know we should really try to avoid a player with concerns like his, but he is without a doubt the most talented OL in this class for me. Kind of like the Odell Thurman situation except its in the top of the first.

MooshooGawd
03-19-2009, 06:57 AM
This only applies to us though, Raji = Wilkinson. Only if we draft him because we are the bengals
I really don't see where you're getting that from. I just think it would be a great addition to add him to our D-line. With this guy's size and strength, it would demand double teams which would then open up a lot more opportunities for guys like Sims, Peko, Geathers and Odom to get to the QB.

And I don't think that Andre Smith is all that bad of a kid. We hadn't heard one bad thing about him up until the Sugar Bowl fiasco. He's likely just getting bad advice or in one of those phases where no matter what you do, you just can't seem to win. I wouldn't mind if they drafted him.

And as for Beanie, I too am a little worried. He had a good Pro Day, but the Bengals are also bringing him in for a pre-Draft visit. But they've also brought in Jason Smith, Jeremy Maclin and Knowshon Moreno too. So maybe I shouldn't look that much into it.

chapo123
03-19-2009, 12:09 PM
1. michael oher / evrette brown - monroe could go 2 or 4. smith could be another headache for this team. reach for a solid tackle, why not? he didn't give up a sack in sec. another option is e.brown. he gives either a olb/de with tones of speed.
2. shawn nelson - there has not been a decent te in cincy for as long as i can remember . plus going pretty sure palmer is going to need more targets.
3. james davis - rb besides benson is huge. irons i'm sure will never play and there isn't anyone else worth talking about right now on their depth chart.
4. chip vaughn - s/olb
5. pat white - qb
6. johnathan luigs - c
7. steve rehring - g

Bengals78
03-19-2009, 12:19 PM
I really don't see where you're getting that from. I just think it would be a great addition to add him to our D-line. With this guy's size and strength, it would demand double teams which would then open up a lot more opportunities for guys like Sims, Peko, Geathers and Odom to get to the QB.

And I don't think that Andre Smith is all that bad of a kid. We hadn't heard one bad thing about him up until the Sugar Bowl fiasco. He's likely just getting bad advice or in one of those phases where no matter what you do, you just can't seem to win. I wouldn't mind if they drafted him.

And as for Beanie, I too am a little worried. He had a good Pro Day, but the Bengals are also bringing him in for a pre-Draft visit. But they've also brought in Jason Smith, Jeremy Maclin and Knowshon Moreno too. So maybe I shouldn't look that much into it.

I was speaking from our usual luck with drafting guys that high on defense (injury or they usually just tank)

themaninblack
03-19-2009, 04:20 PM
1. michael oher / evrette brown - monroe could go 2 or 4. smith could be another headache for this team. reach for a solid tackle, why not? he didn't give up a sack in sec. another option is e.brown. he gives either a olb/de with tones of speed.
2. shawn nelson - there has not been a decent te in cincy for as long as i can remember . plus going pretty sure palmer is going to need more targets.
3. james davis - rb besides benson is huge. irons i'm sure will never play and there isn't anyone else worth talking about right now on their depth chart.
4. chip vaughn - s/olb
5. pat white - qb
6. johnathan luigs - c
7. steve rehring - g

If we drafted a TE in the second round I would shat brix.

SC Igniter
03-19-2009, 05:35 PM
No way TE in early rounds. We probably can pick up Davis in 4th round. So if Moore and Orakpo are off board without trading down, this is my best guess what we may do in rounds 1-4:

1st round will either be a)Oline or b)Dline:

a) 1st Oline - Oher (stretch) or A Smith (not my choice)

w/this scenario
2nd) C Mack or E wood
3rd) DE Sidbury - Richmond or P Kruger - utah
3rd comp assumed) ILB Brinkley - S Car or McRath - S Miss
4th) RB James Davis - Clemson or A Brown - NC St

or

b) 1st Dline - Maybin or E Brown or Raji

w/this scenario
2nd) OT best available: Beatty, u conn or Meredith, s Car or p Loadholt, OK
3rd) C E Wood, Louisville if still there or A Caldwell, bama
3rd comp assumed and 4th) same as above

I can live with both of the above - no WR or RB or TE in 1st 3 rounds

PalmerToCJ
03-19-2009, 08:58 PM
With a good Pro Day, I'm beginning to worry that Beanie Wells could be getting back into the picture. I'm all for Oher after a trade oif a few slots down in rd 1. I even would consider taking Oher at 6 in a scenerio similar to us taking Levi years ago. It worked then; if the guy ends up being a solid LT, then for metaking him at 6 is ok if we find no trading partners./

You know what's funny? I was thinking the same thing about Beanie. Given the scenario where both top OT's and Curry would be gone, I'm starting to get worried that he might be an option.

If Curry/Smith/Monroe are all off the board at 6. I've really warmed up to taking Raji, which sucks because I think Sims can be a very solid DT but depth on the Dline is NEVER a bad thing.

I don't think we need to take a DE early. We've got big money in both DE's and while Peko is VERY VERY good in run coverage, he's not going to hog blockers on passing downs. A guy like Raji to occupy some bodies would open up pass rushing situations, send LB's, safties and free up the guys around him.

I would also be fine with trading back to get Oher. In the event that even Raji is gone I DEFINITELY want to trade back.

Bengals78
03-20-2009, 10:03 AM
If we draft Wells, I will call for the firing of Marvin Lewis and start a campaign for someone to buy the Bengals off of Brown...if Rush Limbaugh is still interested in owning an NFL team...or anyone else...

rickscott
03-20-2009, 10:04 AM
If Oher has a solid workout and Alexander really likes him, I would not mind us taking him early rather than address another position that we really don't have a real need for. Even at #6, I would take Oher if a trade wasn't possible,

Bengals78
03-20-2009, 10:25 AM
I am really starting to revert back to my old opinion on Andre Smith. I got a little scared because of the combine but I think that it was an anomaly for him.
My big board (if we stay at 6):
1. Jason Smith
2. Andre Smith
3. Brian Orakpo
4. BJ Raji
5. Eugene Monroe
6. Michael Oher

chapo123
03-20-2009, 01:12 PM
te in early rounds is bad? your right...palmer has solid options behind coles right now. if the bengals got a warm sack of shi* for cj i do that right now just to get him out town. a solid te would have bailed out fitzpatrick last season more than enough times.

themaninblack
03-20-2009, 02:21 PM
No, what would have bailed out Fitz is a decent OL and an Arm. We have a good TE who was bit by the injury bug last year named Ben Utecht, do you remember him?

chapo123
03-20-2009, 03:06 PM
sure i do...however palmer is going to need more than coles. i am sticking to this : jerome simpson is a bust

hobbes2053
03-20-2009, 03:39 PM
I hope you know we still have Chad, who hasn't caused any real problems as of late, as well as the two younger guys (Caldwell and Simpson), who Palmer has said are much improved after he worked out with them a bit this offseason. Those three along with Coles and Utecht makes me think we're in semi-decent shape in terms of WR. What we really need, and everyone knows this, is a line who can block for half a damn. Getting a new TE would prove to be a waste of a pick that we could use to address other, more important needs.

StripedWalrus
03-20-2009, 04:37 PM
I hope you know we still have Chad, who hasn't caused any real problems as of late, as well as the two younger guys (Caldwell and Simpson), who Palmer has said are much improved after he worked out with them a bit this offseason. Those three along with Coles and Utecht makes me think we're in semi-decent shape in terms of WR. What we really need, and everyone knows this, is a line who can block for half a damn. Getting a new TE would prove to be a waste of a pick that we could use to address other, more important needs.

THere is also Chris Henry...he has the talent, just also has off field problems. Who knes, maybe he shapes up and flys straight. A TE like you say, would be a waste. Protect Carson...and then maybe draft a TE next year.

hobbes2053
03-20-2009, 06:54 PM
I completely forgot about Henry. If he can keep himself of out of the backseat of a cop car, we're more than set at WR.

themaninblack
03-20-2009, 08:12 PM
sure i do...however palmer is going to need more than coles. i am sticking to this : jerome simpson is a bust

I am sticking to this: You are a bust.

Placing a premium on WR's or TE's right now would be a complete waste of time.

chapo123
03-20-2009, 08:16 PM

wow...........

StripedWalrus
03-20-2009, 09:23 PM

I second this.... chapo123 = bust

SC Igniter
03-21-2009, 05:07 AM
I am really starting to revert back to my old opinion on Andre Smith. I got a little scared because of the combine but I think that it was an anomaly for him.
My big board (if we stay at 6):
1. Jason Smith
2. Andre Smith
3. Brian Orakpo
4. BJ Raji
5. Eugene Monroe
6. Michael Oher

I would switch 2 & 5 on your big board. Its going to be one of those without trade. Regarding Andre, I'm putting faith that Bengals will due their job with their due diligence on this guy. Reports were we had a private meeting with him during his pro day workout. He won the Outland based on being the best lineman in college but things started to stack against him after that. Frankly I'm nervous about him and hope that monroe falls into our lap at 6. However, its looking more likely he will be the one.

themaninblack
03-21-2009, 11:34 AM
wow...........

So let me get this straight, you would rather pass on one of the top two centers in this draft to get a TE who could easily be available in the next two rounds? And your going to call a developmental receiver a bust after one year when he didn't even see the field?

That deserves a WOW.

hobbes2053
03-21-2009, 03:51 PM
I was looking over mocks on nfl.com and one of their writers had us taking Monroe at 6. This was the caption underneath the pick: Monroe could very well be gone by this point, but if he's here, the Bengals have to take him. A versatile, high-character player could be what they need, especially with Palmer set to return. The Bengals could be in play for a trade. It might sound crazy, but how about Chad Johnson to Philly, which also moves to this spot, for the Eagles' pick at No. 28 and a later-round selection? I love both scenarios presented here.

PalmerToCJ
03-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Something I've thought if we did take Raji...

In the run game we'd have a wall in the middle. We'd have enough talent/bulk at DT to occupy some blockers and let Geathers/Odom get to the QB. Additionally we'd have depth. In passing situations bring in Sims for Peko, he's got fresh legs to get after the QB and in the event of injury we're covered. Every good defense has a top DT.

With all of that said, I'm still hoping Monroe falls or we get the chance to trade back.

derza222
03-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Monroe would be a sick pick for you guys.

Wondering what the thoughts are on the MLB position. Seems to fit in that 2nd tier need range along with RB and DE with tackle and center up top in tier 1, would you agree? Still really no clear future at the position IMO. Jasper Brinkley as a fit? He'd just make Cincy even more of a wall. That defense has a chance to be damn fun to watch in the coming years if you continue to build it a little, and the offense can be stellar if the holes on the line are filled. Real chance for a big turnaround next year.

SC Igniter
03-22-2009, 07:05 AM
I really like jasper Brinkley in the 4th round or at our comp 3rd slot. He was a flat out tackling machine at South Carolina with an aggressive demeanor, something that is needed in defending in our division. he was injured for most of his Jr year and would need for him to be healthy, so I'm sure the Bengals would check into this if their serious about him.

rickscott
03-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Don
't you think the 3rd or maybe even the 4th rd is too early for Brinkley? I haven't seen him listed that early. I'd rather see us get a guy like Ellerbee in Rd 3 but if we do wiat until the mid to later rounds, Brinkley is an imposing guy to have in the middle

themaninblack
03-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Ellerbe can probably be had much later like the 5th-6th round. I really like him though he reminds me of Odell in a lot of ways though probably not as athletic. I would prefer Brinkley if at all possible.

hobbes2053
03-22-2009, 12:58 PM
I've been pretty high on Brinkley for quite some time. He's got a huge frame and can lay the wood. In a way, he almost has the same build as Dhani, who could serve as a great mentor in molding Brinkley into a stud pro MLB. IMO, picking Brinkley in the later rounds would be a huge addition to the defense.

derza222
03-22-2009, 03:25 PM
I think Brinkley's just a solid overall pick. Can fit in the 4-3 or the 3-4 if you guys try to mix up looks or change schemes. A big, fast dude and if he's allowed time to develop behind a guy like Jones as somebody said it can only make him into a much better football player. Worst case he'll be able to carve out a solid role plugging against the run, but if he gets back to pre-injury form he could be a major steal. Nice upside pick. Is the comp pick in the third official at this point? I hadn't seen anything about those picks coming out.

PalmerToCJ
03-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Count me in on the Brinkley club, I'm a SEC football fan and loved watching him play. Would definitely be happy with him as our comp 3rd or 4th rounder.

Bengals78
03-23-2009, 03:33 PM
I have been hoping we can snag Brinkley for a long time now. I think he can be the big nasty mean player we have been needing and almost had in Odell.

SC Igniter
03-23-2009, 05:38 PM
For assumption purposes, lets say we don't draft down and pick a OT with our 1st pick. Our 2nd pick becomes a very important one for the team in upgrading the C position in my opinion. Basically we need the best draft pick that can handle the big nose tackles in our division and be able to start on Day 1. Thats a tall order.

So who is the best C thats strong enough to do the job? i have Mack or Wood, is there any other big guy missing? i discounted Unger due to reports of him having trouble with stronger players, thats exactly the issue we had with Ghiaciuc.

Pat Sims 90
03-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Really i dont think we need to get OT in the 1st round i think Collins can be the LT of the future he held his own against Defensive Player of the Year James Harrison C and RT are really the what we need to Upgrade on the OL RT is not what we need to take in 1st round I think we need to go BPA in 1st then 2nd take a C then in the 3rd take a RT and RB we should have a comp in 3rd round

PalmerToCJ
03-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Really i dont think we need to get OT in the 1st round i think Collins can be the LT of the future he held his own against Defensive Player of the Year James Harrison C and RT are really the what we need to Upgrade on the OL RT is not what we need to take in 1st round I think we need to go BPA in 1st then 2nd take a C then in the 3rd take a RT and RB we should have a comp in 3rd round

Sounds like a plan to me! I'm almost resigned to the fact we won't get an OT in the 1st.

derza222
03-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Sounds like a plan to me! I'm almost resigned to the fact we won't get an OT in the 1st.

If there's no OT in round 1 that may position the Bengals really well to move down with somebody looking to grab a QB or somebody else that slips some. Maybe even a WR ahead of the Raiders. QB two picks ahead of Jax works as well.

Four comp picks!! One in round 3 and 6, and two in round 7. Not too bad...

What would you guys think of this as a potential kind of ideal mock through 5 to fill a few needs? I know the Bengals don't move up often, but in this case I have a move up from the third back into the second giving up a four. Probably more likely to move up for Mack, but I thought this could be a solid value to fill a bit of a need with a player that has a real high ceiling, that I believe was on the North team for the SB.

1. Eugene Monroe
2. Alex Mack
2.1 Connor Barwin
3(comp). Jasper Brinkley
5. Kory Sheets

hobbes2053
03-23-2009, 10:48 PM
What would you guys think of this as a potential kind of ideal mock through 5 to fill a few needs? I know the Bengals don't move up often, but in this case I have a move up from the third back into the second giving up a four. Probably more likely to move up for Mack, but I thought this could be a solid value to fill a bit of a need with a player that has a real high ceiling, that I believe was on the North team for the SB.

1. Eugene Monroe
2. Alex Mack
2.1 Connor Barwin
3(comp). Jasper Brinkley
5. Kory Sheets

This is the greatest mock for us I have ever seen. If this happens, I will literally jump for joy.

SC Igniter
03-24-2009, 06:07 AM
If there's no OT in round 1 that may position the Bengals really well to move down with somebody looking to grab a QB or somebody else that slips some. Maybe even a WR ahead of the Raiders. QB two picks ahead of Jax works as well.

Four comp picks!! One in round 3 and 6, and two in round 7. Not too bad...

1. Eugene Monroe
2. Alex Mack
2.1 Connor Barwin
3(comp). Jasper Brinkley
5. Kory Sheets

I like this mock also, covers everything we need to address. Other pass rushing DE's to consider if we stay down at 3rd pick is Kruger or Sidbury. For RB, I'm partial to a couple ACC guys with either James Davis or Andre Brown being available at our 4th, seen these players a ton at the Clemson games - especially Davis and he can run.

themaninblack
03-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Me likey Shonn Greene.

hobbes2053
03-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Shonn Greene would be a perfect fit for us. Another back that I would like, and am not too sure why people don't bring him up enough, is Ian Johnson. We could most likely get him in the much later rounds. Either would be money.

derza222
03-24-2009, 02:00 PM
I like this mock also, covers everything we need to address. Other pass rushing DE's to consider if we stay down at 3rd pick is Kruger or Sidbury. For RB, I'm partial to a couple ACC guys with either James Davis or Andre Brown being available at our 4th, seen these players a ton at the Clemson games - especially Davis and he can run.

Not sold Kruger would be there in the third, if he is that would be a really good pick, but Sidbury probably would be and would actually be a really good fit. That's a really good call, hope they give him a look. I think at the RB spot Davis is a better fit than Brown. I love Brown but he seems too similar to Benson, though at least he's a better receiver. I think a 3rd down back or at the very least a guy who can catch it is the best fit for the team at RB. Same goes for Shonn Greene. I love the guy, but not so sure how well he compliments Beonson.

ChiFan24
03-24-2009, 08:44 PM
So I'm working on a mock, and I have Stafford and Smith going 1, 2. I know most, if not all of you would hate it, but could any of you see the Bengals trading #6 and#38 for #3 to take Monroe? Otherwise, I'll probably have to move you guys down a little bit to draft Beanie (since I can totally see Mike Brown doing that).

Ronniec513
03-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Sidbury is a favorite target of mine for our 3rd/3rd comp pick. A little short, but he has long arms, great speed, and upside. Reminds me a lot of Geathers coming out. Could give us a great 3rd-down specialist, with potential to develop into either a starting DE or SAM linebacker.

At RB I'm hoping for Javon Ringer again in the 3rd/3rd comp or even 4th if RB's are slow to come off the board. He's got good enough speed and explosiveness to be a compliment to Benson, but has the bulk to think he could be a feature guy in a couple years when Benson moves on. Plus he's from Dayton so he'd actually be pleased to be a Bengal, something that shouldn't be underestimated.

Ronniec513
03-24-2009, 08:56 PM
So I'm working on a mock, and I have Stafford and Smith going 1, 2. I know most, if not all of you would hate it, but could any of you see the Bengals trading #6 and#38 for #3 to take Monroe? Otherwise, I'll probably have to move you guys down a little bit to draft Beanie (since I can totally see Mike Brown doing that).

I'd say it's highly unlikely. I don't think the Bengals have traded up in round 1 since 1995 for Ki-Jana. Add to that, our 2nd rounder seems destined for whichever of Wood or Mack make it to us so I think they'd be hesitant to deal it.

Monroe is a great prospect, but I think Oher/Wood, A.Smith/Wood, or Raji/Wood would help the team more than Monroe alone. We did grab Anthony Collins in the 4th rd last year and he showed that he has some potential at LT so it's not like we're desperate to fill the position.

PalmerToCJ
03-24-2009, 10:07 PM

We're not the sorts to trade up, especially since it involves paying more money. Not only that but we need the depth the other picks provide. I completely see where you're coming from though but I think the chances are slim and none.

Sidbury is a favorite target of mine for our 3rd/3rd comp pick. A little short, but he has long arms, great speed, and upside. Reminds me a lot of Geathers coming out. Could give us a great 3rd-down specialist, with potential to develop into either a starting DE or SAM linebacker.

At RB I'm hoping for Javon Ringer again in the 3rd/3rd comp or even 4th if RB's are slow to come off the board. He's got good enough speed and explosiveness to be a compliment to Benson, but has the bulk to think he could be a feature guy in a couple years when Benson moves on. Plus he's from Dayton so he'd actually be pleased to be a Bengal, something that shouldn't be underestimated.

I really want a RB in the first 3 rounds now depending on how things shake out. Marvin is a fan of 2 RB systems, it's just that the injuries have hurt that. Ringer would be a very nice option. I also like the idea of a pass rushing DE in the 3rd. Ideally for me, it'd go:

1. OT
2. C
3a. RB
3b. DE or pass rushing LB.

Not to mention our 4th rounder is obviously early so we'll get a high quality guy there.

Should be an important draft, I'm probably a fool for saying this but I think we can contend next year.

Ronniec513
03-24-2009, 11:11 PM
I completely agree that those are 4 of the top needs, but I'd also add in our early 4th and throw in MLB as a top need. Dhani is in the last year of his deal and this defense could use a playmaking MLB, in addition to the pass rusher, to put it over the top. So ideally I'd go 1-OT (Monroe?) 2-OC (Mack/Wood), then 3A, 3B, and 4 are interchangeable between RB, DE and MLB, depending on who's available.

After that, you just gotta take chances on the best guys available. Depth at CB, O-Line and WR would be ideal, as well as a punter and/or fullback if we don't get Tahi.

derza222
03-25-2009, 12:17 AM
Should be an important draft, I'm probably a fool for saying this but I think we can contend next year.

I don't think so at all. This team has a great shot to move forward next year. If you the OL can keep Palmer upright and #85 can produce like he has in years past, they should make a major jump. The young defense is just good enough to improve to an upper level, and if not as long as they stand pat from last year near the middle of the pack (which shouldn't be too hard given they should be on the field a lot less) the offense has the potential to carry the team far as it is. If the pieces come together, this is a team to really watch out for not only this year but down the road. They'll be dangerous.

StripedWalrus
03-25-2009, 12:54 AM
I am really hoping we are able to trade back and pick up an extra pick. I think it is a huge possibility that we can do it. Basically at 6 there are tons of possibilities. Raji, Crabtree, Orakpo, Brown, Sanchez and maybe even Stafford. All give a possibility to trade back. I have a really goof feeling that we are going to trade back. With who? not sure yet. Broncos are a possibility. That would stick us a good range for Oher...maybe even A. Smith...but even might stick us with Wells. I don't see the Bengals Drafting Maualuga right here.

Anyway the trade would net us the #12 and #44 pick. We give #6 and #134 (5th rounder)

#12 - Micheal Oher - OT
#38 - Connor Barwin - DE/OLB
#44 - Eric Wood - C
#70 - Mike Mickens - CB
#98 - Javon Ringer or James Davis - RB
4th rounder - Jasper Brinkley - ILB
6th Rounder - Brennan Sutherland - FB
6th Rounder - and Ill be honest I dont know who we could pick here and beyond

SC Igniter
03-25-2009, 05:50 AM
I am really hoping we are able to trade back and pick up an extra pick. I think it is a huge possibility that we can do it. Basically at 6 there are tons of possibilities. Raji, Crabtree, Orakpo, Brown, Sanchez and maybe even Stafford. All give a possibility to trade back. I have a really goof feeling that we are going to trade back. With who? not sure yet. Broncos are a possibility. That would stick us a good range for Oher...maybe even A. Smith...but even might stick us with Wells. I don't see the Bengals Drafting Maualuga right here.

Anyway the trade would net us the #12 and #44 pick. We give #6 and #134 (5th rounder)

#12 - Micheal Oher - OT
#44 - Eric Wood - C
#70 - Mike Mickens - CB

This would be great trade down scenario. I'm currently reading "Blind Side", the book about the evolution of the LT position that features Oher - amazing story, he can block and still needs to develop plus has a IQ issue. one can't help but feel a bond for Oher due to the book. Ringer is the complete package and I like Mickens. Others are all on my list.

With that said, odds are slim that it happens but you never know. Denver will probably work something out before hand on covering their QB needs if they trade Cutler. According to NFL.com, Sanchez has been rocketing up the boards, so a grap for him at our #6 might be in play for another team.

StripedWalrus
03-25-2009, 01:35 PM
This would be great trade down scenario. I'm currently reading "Blind Side", the book about the evolution of the LT position that features Oher - amazing story, he can block and still needs to develop plus has a IQ issue. one can't help but feel a bond for Oher due to the book. Ringer is the complete package and I like Mickens. Others are all on my list.

With that said, odds are slim that it happens but you never know. Denver will probably work something out before hand on covering their QB needs if they trade Cutler. According to NFL.com, Sanchez has been rocketing up the boards, so a grap for him at our #6 might be in play for another team.

I am more along the lines of thinking they will be trading up for BJ Raji. They need a DT desperately. Hopefully they do not link a trade up with the Browns before us...

A. Smith is still an option in that area for us...as well as beanie Wells. I am not a Beanie Wells fan but it is a possibility. Basically if we go at Beanie Wells with that pick I say we will be looking at a LT with the first 2nd pick. Connor Barwin has a huge chance to go in the first as well.

I like Mike Mickens alot. I think he could be a good addition and will be able to step in if we are hit with the injury bug on JJ again. Hopefully we wont be and he could play Nickle.

Now, alot of people are low in Ringer...but I like him and I think as long as there is a number 1 guy and he gets ample carries as a number 2...he can be a very good compliment to any offense. I think the Bengals with a revamped Oline would make him look like a steal. Possibly he can even give us that Chris Perry like action we had in 05. Davis might be able to do the same thing....are either feature backs...no, I dont think so.

derza222
03-25-2009, 02:00 PM

#12 - Micheal Oher - OT
#44 - Eric Wood - C
#70 - Mike Mickens - CB

That would be a very nice draft. Probably a stretch, but you may be able to trade down with the Jets for #17, #52, and #76, plus a future pick. I have a feeling they're going to want to move up for a WR or a QB this year, and Oakland/Jax could be good teams to jump ahead of. Don't think they'll want to move up that far or give up that much, but it's a possibility. Not sure how many teams are going to move up though, the Broncos are probably your best bet.

chapo123
03-25-2009, 06:20 PM
So let me get this straight, you would rather pass on one of the top two centers in this draft to get a TE who could easily be available in the next two rounds? And your going to call a developmental receiver a bust after one year when he didn't even see the field?

That deserves a WOW.

cincy passed on great talent to take that scrub last year

chapo123
03-25-2009, 06:20 PM
oh and as far as your te
utecht has 16 grabs last season - solid

themaninblack
03-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Yea your right they passed on some talent but IDK how you would call ANY of what came after him in that round great. They took a risk on a kid with insane athleticism from a small school. He is probably physically the best receiver in that draft. It will take some time for him to adjust to the pro game because he is very raw. Add in the fact that he's a receiver and that position rarely ever produces much of anything year one.

You do know Ben Utecht was hurt for much of last year right?

PalmerToCJ
03-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Anyone that was halfway reasonable knew that Simpson wasn't going to produce much last year, especially with the WR's we had.

chapo123
03-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Yea your right they passed on some talent but IDK how you would call ANY of what came after him in that round great. They took a risk on a kid with insane athleticism from a small school. He is probably physically the best receiver in that draft. It will take some time for him to adjust to the pro game because he is very raw. Add in the fact that he's a receiver and that position rarely ever produces much of anything year one.

You do know Ben Utecht was hurt for much of last year right?

how many more excuses can we make for not taking a te?

Bengalsrocket
03-26-2009, 04:07 AM

We don't need a TE - putting it as simple as possible: we don't have the money.

Most Bengals fans would like any more cash that Mike Brown is willing to put into this team spent on other positions. TE should be a concern, but it's still near the bottom of the list. If you want someone to block, put Daniel Coats in, if you want someone to catch, throw it to Chad, Chris or Lavernius Coles.

Throwing money or draft picks at another guy to catch for us is just unnecessary.

themaninblack
03-26-2009, 10:28 AM

how many more excuses can we make FOR taking a TE? It is absolutely not a priority and hasnt been for many years. We got a talented guy last year for a pretty good deal as he was a backup in Indy. The position has little to no value on this team and is more of a luxury. Your saying we should forget probably our BIGGEST need in the entire draft at the position of Center to draft a TE? We have the realistic opportunity to get one of the top 2 Cs in the draft my friend. If you get that chance and its as high a priority as it clearly is with this team, you take it IDC who you are.

I just think we should give Utecht another chance to prove himself and if he doesn't(and if you can't with CP you can't with anyone) THEN maybe we draft one in the first three rounds next season.

StripedWalrus
03-26-2009, 11:51 AM

I dont think you have put up 1 good excuse for why we do need to draft a TE.

derza222
03-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Keep in mind they drafted Sherry from 'Nova last season and really liked his potential. I think he was hurt, but he's still around and has some nice potential. Good size to develop into a blocker, nice hands, good speed to stretch the seam.

It's not exactly a home run that he's going to develop, but if he does he could easily be a starting-caliber all around tight end. And the Bengals have really never used the position for more than another blocker anyway, so if he developed it would just be a bonus.

They have plenty of weapons on the outside to get it to in the passing game anyway, the three main priorities on offense should be the OL, the run game, and Palmer's level of play.

hobbes2053
03-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Personally, I don't understand why you want a TE so badly, chapo. WHY? We have a pretty damn good one in Utecht and also have a legitimate WR group. I like what derza said about Sherry. I remember us drafting him and haven't heard much about him since. But if we could somehow sculpt him into a stud TE, all the better. As far as I see it, TE is one of the last positions on our list of needs at this point.

derza222
03-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Personally, I don't understand why you want a TE so badly, chapo. WHY? We have a pretty damn good one in Utecht and also have a legitimate WR group. I like what derza said about Sherry. I remember us drafting him and haven't heard much about him since. But if we could somehow sculpt him into a stud TE, all the better. As far as I see it, TE is one of the last positions on our list of needs at this point.

Since I was curious I figured I'd look into it...

"Bengals sixth-round draft selection spent the season on Reserve/Injured list, due to a preseason shoulder injury."

Is in his profile on the Bengals website. Thus the lack of hearing about him. Hopefully he puts the injury behind him and shows some things this year, I'd love to see him have some success with the team both for the teams sake and because I got to watch him for a year in college.

Bengals78
03-27-2009, 02:00 AM
We do NOT need another TE.
If we spend a top 4 rounder on one, I will be almost as mad as I would be if we drafted Wells.

Pat Sims 90
03-27-2009, 02:37 AM
i think we need a TE i would not mind drafting one Kelly is not getting any younger Utecht was hurt most of last year and when he was healthy he had not effect in passing game Coats is more of a FB and i see if we get Tahi he will be gone Lawrie was only brought in from Utecht being hurt most of the year Sherry jury is still out on him but i could see him getting dumped and St Louis is the LS

So we really dont have a true weapon at TE All the SB we have had has had a weapon at TE we need a really good all round TE that not can only block like Kelly or only be a weapon in passing game like Utecht But as long as we dont take Andre Smith and Get a starting Center in the draft i dont give a crap what the rest of the draft.

Shere Khan
03-27-2009, 11:46 PM
I am more along the lines of thinking they will be trading up for BJ Raji. They need a DT desperately. Hopefully they do not link a trade up with the Browns before us...

A. Smith is still an option in that area for us...as well as beanie Wells. I am not a Beanie Wells fan but it is a possibility. Basically if we go at Beanie Wells with that pick I say we will be looking at a LT with the first 2nd pick. Connor Barwin has a huge chance to go in the first as well.

The Bengals would draft Knowshon Moreno way before Beanie Wells.

SC Igniter
03-28-2009, 07:55 AM
From what I can gather, Seattle is the key piece on who we draft at #1. Some experts have them going with either Crabtree or even Bennie. This would allow us to pick up Monroe. This would be the best scenario for us and I think we can get consensus on this pick. We need add depth to our OL to protect our franchise and improve our running game. Even if Seattle picks Monroe, I wouldn't be surprised if we went Andre Smith. I'm not buying Marvin's saying that the OL and C are not a concern for the team, its a smoke screen.

From there its most likely a Center or pass rushing threat, either way these are high needs that will be addressed in the early rounds. Followed by RB and ILB in my opinion, then I have a CB.

So I don't see us addressing TE until 5th round or so. Maybe they go sooner with this?

Bengals78
03-28-2009, 12:33 PM
The Bengals would draft Knowshon Moreno way before Beanie Wells.

This I agree with. We have Cedric Benson who Beanie plays a lot like already on the roster who is also much cheaper than wells at #6 overall.
Moreno on the other hand, could be had with a trade back and he is a complimnet to Benson's running style.

Bengals78
03-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Got bored so I threw this together

RD 1......Andre Smith OT Bama

RD 2......Alex Mack C Cal

RD 3......Alex Magee DT Purdue

RD 3(comp) James Davis RB Clemson

RD 4.....Jasper Brinkley ILB SCar

RD 5.....Kaluka Maiava OLB USC

RD 6.....Wopamo Osaisai CB Stanford

RD 6(comp) Kevin Huber P UC

RD 7.....Brannan Southerland FB Georgia

RD 7(comp) Kenny Mainor DE Troy

RD 7(comp) Louis West OG Henderson St

hobbes2053
03-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Got bored so I threw this together

RD 2......Alex Mack C Cal

RD 3......Alex Magee DT Purdue

RD 7(comp) Kenny Mainor DE Troy

If we can get Monroe instead of A. Smith, this is pretty much the draft of my dreams.

Bengals78
03-29-2009, 02:23 PM
I am pretty much happy with Collins at LT and think Jones is done.
I want A. Smith as a RT to be our mauler and help bring back some of our running game.
The only thing that worries me is Mack being gone. and if that is the case, then this is what I want:

RD 2......Lawrence Sidbury Jr DE Richmond

RD 3......Eric Wood C Louisville

RD 7(comp) Terrill Byrd DT UC

MooshooGawd
03-29-2009, 02:46 PM
I think that they need to add an OG a lot earlier. Bobbie Williams is in the final year of his contract, and if they move Whitworth's position, the guy might need to contribute immediately. So maybe in the 3rd we could grab a guy like Levitre, Urbik or Johnson from LSU.

I also may be in the minority on this, but I think they should draft a kicker. Graham wants to be the highest paid kicker ever, but his kickoffs still aren't getting any better. Maybe you can bring in a guy that can actually get the ball passed the 10 yard line. You could likely hide him on the PS for a season and then hand him the reigns. New England pulled it off pretty well a few years back.

My ideal draft would go...

1.) B.J. Raji or Andre Smith - Can't decide which I'd rather have. Raji would give us a dominant run defense. Andre Smith would step in and be our best offensive lineman on day 1. I think it's easier to find a starting RT in Free Agency or later on in the draft than it is to find a guy like Raji.

2.) Alex Mack - Setting myself up for heartbreak here because I don't think he drops to us. It would be just our luck, wouldn't it? If he's gone, here are my other choices...

(If we took Raji in Round 1) Jamon Meredith/William Beatty - There's our right tackle.

(If we took Andre Smith in Round 1) I like Lesean Mccoy as a compliment to Benson, but Unger's ability to play RT, G, C makes him a good choice too.

3a.) As I said above, I think you have to go OG. A guy that could play in 2009 if need be, but that could be a full time starter once Bobbie Williams is gone.

3b.) I like us going with a receiving tight end. Yes, I think we do need one. Reggie Kelly has always been more of a blocker than a receiver. I'm not a Utect fan either. Even when he was healthy last year, he displayed some 'alligator arms'. I think Coffman could be available here because his injuries have prevented him from doing any kind of workouts for teams.

Bengals78
03-29-2009, 04:35 PM
I think it would be best for us to go with Smith. He could step in now and play RT for us. If we WAIT til later in the draft or FA (which would be next year) that leaves us with a hole for at least 1 more year. A project from later in the draft or waiting for a FA. Raji would be nice, but Sims still should get his fair shot. He looked good at times as a rookie.

MooshooGawd
03-29-2009, 05:11 PM
I think it would be best for us to go with Smith. He could step in now and play RT for us. If we WAIT til later in the draft or FA (which would be next year) that leaves us with a hole for at least 1 more year. A project from later in the draft or waiting for a FA. Raji would be nice, but Sims still should get his fair shot. He looked good at times as a rookie.

Drafting Raji isn't a sign that you don't have faith in Sims. Sims played very well last year. But with his size and conditioning, he's better suited to be in a rotating role - like he was last year with Thornton and Harris. With Raji, you'd constantly have fresh legs in there with him, Sims and Peko. You could also show some 3-4 looks at teams.

Drafting a RT that early isn't usually done unless you have a left-handed QB. We don't. So you have that working against the Andre Smith selection. What he does have going for him is that I'm not totally convinced that the guy can't play LT at the next level. The experts say he can't, but I don't see how the guy can be the best LT in college football, in the hardest conference and not be able to do the same in the NFL.

But I don't think they have to take an OT in the first round for a few reasons.

- Levi Jones is still here and they don't save a much money by releasing him. He's not the same Levi anymore, but he's not a complete waste either. Gave up 5 1/2 sacks last year in 10 games. That's a whole lot less than a lot of starting LT's in this league.

- If need be, they can move Whit or Collins over to RT. I don't see why either of them couldn't do it. Heck, I bet Whit could be one of the best in the league at it.

- This team has done a good job at finding OT's in the later rounds. Kooistra, Andrews and Collins weren't 'big name' prospects, but have played well. I'm betting that if they didn't get an OT in the first that they could take a Meredith, Kropog, Unger or Tupou and turn him into a solid option at that RT position.

- George Foster is still out there. Had an injury plagued year last year with the Lions, but he was a pretty solid RT for the Broncos at one time.

Bengals78
03-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Drafting Raji isn't a sign that you don't have faith in Sims. Sims played very well last year. But with his size and conditioning, he's better suited to be in a rotating role - like he was last year with Thornton and Harris. With Raji, you'd constantly have fresh legs in there with him, Sims and Peko. You could also show some 3-4 looks at teams.

Drafting a RT that early isn't usually done unless you have a left-handed QB. We don't. So you have that working against the Andre Smith selection. What he does have going for him is that I'm not totally convinced that the guy can't play LT at the next level. The experts say he can't, but I don't see how the guy can be the best LT in college football, in the hardest conference and not be able to do the same in the NFL.

But I don't think they have to take an OT in the first round for a few reasons.

- Levi Jones is still here and they don't save a much money by releasing him. He's not the same Levi anymore, but he's not a complete waste either. Gave up 5 1/2 sacks last year in 10 games. That's a whole lot less than a lot of starting LT's in this league.

- If need be, they can move Whit or Collins over to RT. I don't see why either of them couldn't do it. Heck, I bet Whit could be one of the best in the league at it.

- This team has done a good job at finding OT's in the later rounds. Kooistra, Andrews and Collins weren't 'big name' prospects, but have played well. I'm betting that if they didn't get an OT in the first that they could take a Meredith, Kropog, Unger or Tupou and turn him into a solid option at that RT position.

- George Foster is still out there. Had an injury plagued year last year with the Lions, but he was a pretty solid RT for the Broncos at one time.

Foster is a short term fix, we need a long term fix. Collins was a diamond in the rough. You can't expect every "not a big name" guy we take to pan out. Guycheck, Kieft, Andrews.

Levi Jones needs to come back big time from how he was last year. He may have only given up 5.5 sacks but he also spent the year on and off the DL. And he will have Collins nipping at his heels to take over. I don't know if he can take it. He never seemed like a leader or one who was good under pressure.

Andre Smith might not be the best LT in the draft (I think he could be) he IS the best blocker, especially run blocking. Once he locks on a player it is game over for that player.

I agree, Raji would offer a lot of flex on defense but I think we could get some really good offers for #6 if he is there.

Pat Sims 90
03-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Andre Smith would be a wasted pick in my mind i have a feeling that once he gets paid he will stop trying and dont even try to stay in shape If the guy in college would not stay in shape what says when he gets paid that he is going to stay in shape would be a wasted pick would be like the Lions taking M Williams and Rodgers in the 1st round. I see he mostly likely kicking inside to Guard if for some reason he does stay in shape So we would take a Guard with the 6th over all pick I would much rather have us take anybody else in 1st round BPA and Raji looks like he will be BPA at that pick RT are not hard to find in later rounds and i say it now write it down Collins is are LT of the future and mostly likely he will win the job from Jones in Training camp then we can kick Levi Jones to RT But C is really the only part of OL we should address on the 1st day

themaninblack
03-30-2009, 12:29 AM
I don't see Levi playing RT at all but I do agree on Anthony Collins' ability to be our future at LT. We need a RT and a C more than anything IMO and I hope those two are addressed in the first 3 rounds. I'm kind of moving off the 'OT in the first' idea but if we did draft Andre Smith I think he'd be great at RT if he can mature properly. I know teams usually don't select a RT that high but I think this situation could warrant such a pick.

I'm all for going defense with the first pick if its Raji, Orakpo, or Brown though I would prefer Everette over Orakpo for some reason. I wouldn't count out Beanie either even though I'm not his biggest fan.

SC Igniter
03-30-2009, 06:08 AM
I have come around on Andre Smith at #1. Bengals will review all of his tapes dominating in the SEC and bring him in for a visit, they have had private meetings with him already so he is being vetted by the team. I don't think he had any issues up until last years bowl game. He won the Outland and reminds me of Willie. I just think we need more depth on the OL - agree Collins looks like the best fit at LT and Levi days are numbered. I just like Smith better than Raji, we have more depth at the DT position than OL.

Who knows, the Bengals may conclude after all of their due diligence that he is not their guy. Then we go BPA. C in round 2.

Bengals78
03-30-2009, 07:19 AM
I think the key thing here is, we must go C in round 2.
1. Mack
2. Wood

Pat Sims 90
03-30-2009, 03:01 PM
I have come around on Andre Smith at #1. Bengals will review all of his tapes dominating in the SEC and bring him in for a visit, they have had private meetings with him already so he is being vetted by the team. I don't think he had any issues up until last years bowl game. He won the Outland and reminds me of Willie. I just think we need more depth on the OL - agree Collins looks like the best fit at LT and Levi days are numbered. I just like Smith better than Raji, we have more depth at the DT position than OL.

Who knows, the Bengals may conclude after all of their due diligence that he is not their guy. Then we go BPA. C in round 2.

I will tell u now weather it is with us or any other team that drafts him Andre Smith will go the Andrew Whitworth of NFL he will be too slow to play LT and a team will have a better RT prospect then him and he will mostly likely be kicking into Guard Spot weather it be LG or RG and we dont need Guards That saying only if he can lay off the Fast Food and get into Football Shape and stay in Football Shape and i disagree about him Dominating the SEC there were sometimes him going up against Speed Pass rushers he got blown by the only ppl he dominated in SEC was the Power Pass rusher they were not going to Over power him since he was so big

On to the Center I really like Wood more then Mack now i think Wood has had a excellent Combine and Senior Bowl and Workouts he looks he can hold himself aganist NT Mack looks more like a Zone Blocking C But i have seen the Steelers and Brown have been looking at Wood so i am worried that Wood will be gone when we pick in the 2nd round but as long as we get a center that wont get pushed 10 yards Back every time he goes aganist NT or Big DT i would love that

SC Igniter
03-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Understand the concern about Andre Smith. I am pretty sure that the Bengal's will take a real hard look at him and wouldn't be surprised if he is picked. I didn't see all of his games, but was at his 1st game against Clemson, he mauled our defense. he also handled Quinten Groves from Auburn - and I think he is a pretty decent speed rusher. he was healthy while at Alabama and the feedback I'm hearing is that he can handle anyone in the NFL on run blocking.

Pat Sims 90
03-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Understand the concern about Andre Smith. I am pretty sure that the Bengal's will take a real hard look at him and wouldn't be surprised if he is picked. I didn't see all of his games, but was at his 1st game against Clemson, he mauled our defense. he also handled Quinten Groves from Auburn - and I think he is a pretty decent speed rusher. he was healthy while at Alabama and the feedback I'm hearing is that he can handle anyone in the NFL on run blocking.

Yea u right we will take him knowing Mike Brown he will ignore the character concerns and draft him anyway Sure worked out for Thurman and Henry I would rather us Draft a QB with our first pick then Andre Smith and i am dead serious i would take a big reach at the 6th pick then Andre Smith that is how much i dont like him i think he will pull a Charles Rodgers and Mike Williams get paid and not even try He has a big maturity problem Plus if u watch the Florida Game that is were his flaws really came out he could not Hold up against Florida defensive and i consider that Defensive to more like NFL defensive because of their speed

StripedWalrus
03-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Yea u right we will take him knowing Mike Brown he will ignore the character concerns and draft him anyway Sure worked out for Thurman and Henry I would rather us Draft a QB with our first pick then Andre Smith and i am dead serious i would take a big reach at the 6th pick then Andre Smith that is how much i dont like him i think he will pull a Charles Rodgers and Mike Williams get paid and not even try He has a big maturity problem Plus if u watch the Florida Game that is were his flaws really came out he could not Hold up against Florida defensive and i consider that Defensive to more like NFL defensive because of their speed

I just don't see the team risking it in the first round. The team has been going the route of rebuilding our character and I think we will continue to do so.

Bengals78
03-31-2009, 10:44 PM
can someone explain the reason people are giving us Ayers in the second? I am just curious as to other Bengals fans opinion on it. I think it is a bad pick. He isn't known for pass rush, which is what we need.

themaninblack
03-31-2009, 11:16 PM
I don't really get it either and I would be shocked to see that happen unless both C's are off the board or the fall in love with Wood and feel like they can get him in the 3rd. I don't really see that much in Ayers personally but apparently some do.

SC Igniter
04-01-2009, 05:07 PM
I wonder if the lions will trade #1 for Cutler? On top of this, what happens if this turns into a 3 way trade involving the Clowns? This might shake things up for us.

Straight up with Lions, Broncos would need to draft QB, so I see no impact.

3 way kinda of changes everything and I have no idea how this would wind up?

SC Igniter
04-01-2009, 08:28 PM
can someone explain the reason people are giving us Ayers in the second? I am just curious as to other Bengals fans opinion on it. I think it is a bad pick. He isn't known for pass rush, which is what we need.

Ayers was nothing but a role player at T, he under achieved. His homecoming was the Sr Bowl, which he blew past everyone on the OL, this is the only thing that shot him up in the rankings. i have no interest with him in the 2nd round. Stick to C.

StripedWalrus
04-01-2009, 08:46 PM
I wonder if the lions will trade #1 for Cutler? On top of this, what happens if this turns into a 3 way trade involving the Clowns? This might shake things up for us.

Straight up with Lions, Broncos would need to draft QB, so I see no impact.

3 way kinda of changes everything and I have no idea how this would wind up?

This will create an extra pick for the Broncos and what I see it doing is giving them the ability to trade up to snag BJ Raji. Something tells me thats what it will be for.

derza222
04-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Alright I have to ask out of curiosity because of the huge trade today. Lets say the Broncos want to move up in the draft with 12 and 18. Need to get ahead of the Jags and want to make sure they get their guy so they call the Bengals just to be sure. Could be Raji, also could be Mark Sanchez if he's on the board. They call up the Bengals and offer (this matches up on the value chart) #12, #18, and a sixth rounder for #6 and #38. Maybe you could squeeze more out of them, but let's just stick to this because it works on the chart. Do you pull the trigger? You're basically moving down 6 picks to move up 20 and then get a late-rounder. I think I'd to it in a heartbeat, anybody disagree?

themaninblack
04-02-2009, 09:10 PM
If we didn't accept that trade I would cry.

Bengals78
04-03-2009, 12:39 AM
If that is offerend and we decline, pain will be felt throughout the Tri-State area

SC Igniter
04-03-2009, 05:22 AM
I was thinking Denver's 12 & 48th pick in exchange for our 6th might be better trade for us. For a couple reasons:

1) At 12th we probably can select the same player that we might get at 6th - that being either Andre Smith or Michael Oher at OT.

2) Although it would be really nice to have the 12th and 18th picks, this negates us picking up a C in the early rounds. Think its very important that we hold onto our 38th pick in order to pick up the Center that we need - Wood or Unger.

3) Adding a 48th will allow us to go after a Pass Rusher or RB. I wasn't thinking this early for either of them so this would be an opportunity to upgrade at these positions.

4) We pick up an extra early round draft pick in the draft verses the other scenerio

Sanchez is the key to making this all happen.

themaninblack
04-03-2009, 09:11 AM
I was thinking Denver's 12 & 48th pick in exchange for our 6th might be better trade for us. For a couple reasons:

1) At 12th we probably can select the same player that we might get at 6th - that being either Andre Smith or Michael Oher at OT.

2) Although it would be really nice to have the 12th and 18th picks, this negates us picking up a C in the early rounds. Think its very important that we hold onto our 38th pick in order to pick up the Center that we need - Wood or Unger.

3) Adding a 48th will allow us to go after a Pass Rusher or RB. I wasn't thinking this early for either of them so this would be an opportunity to upgrade at these positions.

4) We pick up an extra early round draft pick in the draft verses the other scenerio

I think I'd prefer this situation as well. Nice input.

derza222
04-03-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't think trading down to 12 and 18 completely precludes getting a center day 1 since there could be more movement, but it's a good point and that (12 and 48) certainly would be the better scenario. Reason I asked the two firsts one was more that you're really moving up in position as opposed to gaining a selection, making it a little less appealing maybe for the Bengals but probably a little more appealing for the Broncos.

Something I was thinking about, if this trade pushes Sanchez into the top 5 along with his workout that really helps the Bengals A LOT. Figure Stafford and Sanchez go top 5, that means that two of Crabtree, Raji, Smith, Monroe, Curry have to be available at 6. So worst case scenario you're left with a choice between Crabtree and Raji, but if one of those two or somebody else manages to go top 5 (wouldn't be surprised) they'll be left with one of the top two tackles or Curry, which would be freakin sweet.

PalmerToCJ
04-04-2009, 01:47 PM

Agree completely. With 12 and 18 I was concerned about getting a C even though that's a good deal for us. I do like 12 and 48 MUCH better.

1. Oher/Smith
2a. Mack/Unger/BPA
2b. Unger/Wood/BPA
3a. BPA
3b. BPA

Ideally for me:

1. Smith
2a. Mack
2b. McCoy
3a. LB
3b. DE

StripedWalrus
04-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Have you all read the Chad Johnson to Oakland for Micheal Bush and a 2nd rounder thread? Its a pretty big rumor...though I think it is fake...

What if it were true?

Personally I am for it. Although, alot of people are discounting the first round possibility of OT for a WR instead.

I think if a trade like that happens...we should trade back in the first still. Have 3 second rounders!!!! Buwhahahhaah

themaninblack
04-05-2009, 01:52 PM
That trade would work for me.

The Big Three
04-05-2009, 05:22 PM

Dude... Use some punctuation when you type, it's annoying to read a full paragraph with no stopping points.

Anyway guys, I'm doing a first round mock draft and I want some input on who you're looking to take at #6. I've got it down to Andre Smith, B.J. Raji, Brian Orakpo, maybe Everette Brown as another DE option. Is there anyone else I should consider here?

Here's my thoughts on each player:

Andre Smith, OT, Alabama: Smith's stock has dropped recently, due to weight concerns and questions as to whether he can play left tackle at the next level. The Bengals are in dire need of offensive line help, and Smith could be plugged in at right tackle immediately, and might be able to move over to the left side when Levi Brown retires. It's a shaky pick, and right tackles aren't meant to be drafted in the top ten. I suggest passing him up and trying to trade down to get Britton or Beatty later on. Maybe someone will be interested in trading up for Sanchez?

B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College: The NFL's 21st ranked rush defense could use some beef in the middle. Raji is a mammoth at 337 pounds, and Scott has him ranked as the #6 prospect in the draft. However, Raji was recently found to have taken steriods and using marijuana... That should push his stock down a bit, but how far? I think you pass up on him as well.

Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas: Orakpo doesn't have the question marks (to my knowledge) that both Smith and Raji do. He's not a beast at 6'3" 263, but has the speed and athleticism to contribute to a pass rush that only sacked opposing quarterbacks 17 times last season (no single defender accumulated more than 3). He was productive in his senior season, and though he's not the sexiest pick, he appears to be the safest here.

Levi Jones should be able to hold down the tackle spot for another year or two, right? So why take Smith, who may never amount to more than a right tackle or a guard this high? You could build the line in the later rounds; maybe Loadholt's an option at RT in the second. Next year pick up a true LT, this year add a pass rusher.

Bengals78
04-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Have you all read the Chad Johnson to Oakland for Micheal Bush and a 2nd rounder thread? Its a pretty big rumor...though I think it is fake...

What if it were true?

Personally I am for it. Although, alot of people are discounting the first round possibility of OT for a WR instead.

I think if a trade like that happens...we should trade back in the first still. Have 3 second rounders!!!! Buwhahahhaah

This would be awesome. Kills several birds with one stone. Only problem then is, Crabtree would be the choice if we didnt trade down.