PDA

View Full Version : High-Caliber Kickers?

oldLibid21
08-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Are there any really good kickers this year that you guys think will end up being very good? I wanted the Falcons to draft Mason Crosby in the fifth round two drafts ago, and we ended up passing on him to draft someone like Martrez Milner I think. He was then drafted the pick exactly before us in the sixth round, and we watched him turn into one of the better kickers in the league. I have my doubts on Elam, so I'm just wondering if there are any kickers that stand out this year. I know the season didn't start yet, but are there any assumptions/predictions on the best kickers?

kwilk103
08-23-2008, 01:20 PM
pat mcaffee---wvu k/p

Cigaro
08-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Ryan Succop. He finally no longer has to handle every kicking duty possible, so a fresh leg should do his stock wonders.

kwilk103
08-23-2008, 01:56 PM
should have said mcaffee is a better punter than a kicker...punted a 71 yd vs cincy; went about 60 in the air

PACKmanN
08-23-2008, 03:57 PM
since we are in the ST subject, which punter would be worth taking a late draft pick on? or are there none worth mentioning this year?

Shane P. Hallam
08-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Jose Martinez is a kicker I'd look out for this year. He has a big leg and pretty good accuracy, just not much to go on.

yo123
08-23-2008, 06:27 PM
I always love a good kicker conversation.

Surprised Sam Swank hasn't been mentioned.

eaglesfan_45
08-23-2008, 06:31 PM
I always love a good kicker conversation.

Surprised Sam Swank hasn't been mentioned.

just about to mention him, on the draft sites, he is the consensus #1 overall K in the draft right now.

BufFan71
08-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Ryan Succop. He finally no longer has to handle every kicking duty possible, so a fresh leg should do his stock wonders.

god forbid that he has to kick the ball an extra few times in a game

Im_a_Romosexual
08-23-2008, 07:29 PM
and practice...

definately a year for punters IMO

M.O.T.H.
08-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Yeah, dont want to sound like a bunch of Gamecock homers but, Succop does have some fantastic potential. Huge leg and nice accuracy, with a little coaching he can be a great kicker in the league. I think he has a pretty good chance to be the best kicker of the class actually.

Cigaro
08-24-2008, 09:49 AM
god forbid that he has to kick the ball an extra few times in a game

I do not believe there is a kicker at the NFL level who does kickoffs, punts, extra points, and field goals. You think that is coincidence?

Maybe you know more than Ray Rychleski (http://umterps.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/rychleski_ray00.html) does about special teams and kicking, but even he believes a kicker can only kick so much before his leg starts to go.

BufFan71
08-24-2008, 09:59 AM
I do not believe there is a kicker at the NFL level who does kickoffs, punts, extra points, and field goals. You think that is coincidence?

Maybe you know more than Ray Rychleski (http://umterps.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/rychleski_ray00.html) does about special teams and kicking, but even he believes a kicker can only kick so much before his leg starts to go.

thats because they are in the NFL. Also kickers and punters in the NFL last for like 15years
they make millions

then u have a college kid who is prob around 21 who gets worn out from kicking and punting? they rarely do onsides.
Give me a break

Brent
08-24-2008, 11:12 AM
since we are in the ST subject, which punter would be worth taking a late draft pick on? or are there none worth mentioning this year?
Not to sound like a homer, because I think he's deserving of mention, but Justin Brantley isnt bad: 44.2 yards per kick last season.

Staubach12
08-24-2008, 12:44 PM
I don't know too many kickers this year, but next year Colt David is tops no question in my mind.

Cigaro
08-24-2008, 01:10 PM
thats because they are in the NFL. Also kickers and punters in the NFL last for like 15years
they make millions

then u have a college kid who is prob around 21 who gets worn out from kicking and punting? they rarely do onsides.
Give me a break

OK, sure. It's obviously above your head, so there's no reason to even try to explain it.

CashmoneyDrew
08-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Hillary Swank's cousin Sam.

fischbowl
08-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Sam Swank from Wake is definitely the best by far. Louie Sakoda out of Utah and UTEP's Jose Martinez are others to look out for.

SuperKevin
08-25-2008, 06:53 PM

Kevin Huber of Cincy is a beast of a punter and could be taken as early as round 5

bored of education
08-25-2008, 11:31 PM
i do not believe there is a team at the nfl level who runs the option. do YOU think that's a coincidence, or just irrelevant data that has absolutely nothing to do with the point that was made (that a college player kicking a few extra times per game is a "big deal")?

then again, you make another fabulously irrelevant point by bringing up the maryland special teams coach in a discussion about a south carolina player. you either have a tenuous grip on reality or absolutely no ability whatsoever to connect data points to form a semi-rational argument.

you make me chuckle. i think sam swank not only for his skills but also that awesome name.

Cigaro
08-26-2008, 03:27 PM
i do not believe there is a team at the nfl level who runs the option. do YOU think that's a coincidence, or just irrelevant data that has absolutely nothing to do with the point that was made (that a college player kicking a few extra times per game is a "big deal")?

then again, you make another fabulously irrelevant point by bringing up the maryland special teams coach in a discussion about a south carolina player. you either have a tenuous grip on reality or absolutely no ability whatsoever to connect data points to form a semi-rational argument.

Or South Carolina special teams coach...

Man I wonder if Rich Rodriguez can lead WVU to another BCS game. :rolleyes:

Cigaro
08-26-2008, 03:49 PM
yeah, gosh, who would believe a university would keep it's website updated:

http://umterps.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/rychleski_ray00.html

as near as i can tell, WVU does NOT keep a page on rodriguez anymore (for yet another irrelevant comparison).

I believe you have reached the limits of your mental capacity. You believe Coach Ray is at Maryland, and then you cannot understand I was not making a comparison about websites at all, instead leaving a sarcastic note about you not being aware of what you speak.

http://gamecocksonline.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121807aaa.html

Go_Eagles77
08-26-2008, 03:54 PM
I hope the eagles take a look at a K next year if David Akers continues to disappoint.

Cigaro
08-26-2008, 07:55 PM
:rolleyes: nope, pretty sure i got that, and even posted a perfectly valid reason as to why i believed he was still at maryland. then YOU made an irrelevant post about rich rodriguez which is obviously not comparable in any real way given that similar disinformation does not exist anywhere that one might make a similar mistake. but hey. it's cool. you're acting defensive because you have no interest whatsoever in backing up a bad argument (remember? the one where you said kicking or punting a couple of extra times a game for a college guy is a terrible idea because nfl kickers don't do it?). it's cool. i'll wait for you to say something marginally relevant.

lol. I told you after the first time you mentioned him as still a Terp that he coached South Carolina, and yet you kept at it.

Thanks for the addition to the sig though!

SuperKevin
08-26-2008, 08:08 PM
lol. I told you after the first time you mentioned him as still a Terp that he coached South Carolina, and yet you kept at it.

Thanks for the addition to the sig though!

You're on the fast track to a banning from njx.

Cigaro
08-26-2008, 08:17 PM
You're on the fast track to a banning from njx.

lol please explain why, other than his personal emotions?

I put in my input on a prospect, declined to go into a lengthy argument with the first guy, and then njx comes around telling me I shouldn't use SC coach Rychleski to back up my argument because he coaches at Maryland(in njx's world at least).

SuperKevin
08-26-2008, 08:18 PM
lol please explain why, other than his personal emotions?

I put in my input on a prospect, declined to go into a lengthy argument with the first guy, and then njx comes around telling me I shouldn't use SC coach Rychleski to back up my argument because he coaches at Maryland(in njx's world at least).

You haven't been here very long have you? Never point out a mod's mistake

Goober Man
08-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Call me crazy but I really like Hawaiis kicker. I've only watched them play a few games but that kid has a really strong leg.