PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Saints Draft thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

DeangeloHall4President
02-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Assuming that none of the top Corners or Linebackers fall to the Saints in the Draft, would you draft Ted Ginn Jr.

He would add a new dimension to our offense that we do not already have with someone who has the ability to reach paydirt every time he touches the ball. He is absolutely filthy when he gets a glimpse of space. He would be a nice to have opposite of Colston. His Kick/Punt returning ability would help the Saints too, we would be able to get better field position.

What do you think?

diabsoule
02-25-2007, 10:25 PM
He won't last til our pick.

UtepMiner
02-25-2007, 10:29 PM
He won't last til our pick.

I agree.

If by some chance he is, I would pass only because we have so many Defensive needs.

we already have an explosive return guy, Bush.

DeangeloHall4President
02-26-2007, 12:31 AM
Bush is not that great of a return man because he tries to juke to many people out and ends up losing yards some of the time. Whereas Ginn just uses his speed and goes straight up the field or breaks it to the corner, he does very little juking. the one return for a touchdown that Reggie had was poor punt coverage by the bucs more that it was reggie. Not to discredit reggie but he is not that great of a return man.
You say that Ginn will be gone, he very well could be, but with the emergence of Meachem and Bowe both showcasing their talents in the Combine and Ginn siting out the combine, he is likely due for a slide. You never know, if we did go Ginn then I think we would be alright as long as we went defense for the rest of the picks

Auron
02-26-2007, 06:31 AM
Dang why are our names all messed up?

Addict
02-26-2007, 06:51 AM
Dang what the heck is up with our names?

DeangeloHall4Prez, Utep Miner..

Says the guy who's named himself after a Final Fantasy character.

Auron
02-26-2007, 07:06 AM
Says the guy who's named himself after a Final Fantasy character.

What does that have to do with anything? I was referring to how our names were all messed up from our previous ones.

Auron is also a derivative from the Latin word for Gold, Aurum..hence the periodic table listing (Au), and Gold is the Saints primary color...

Acreboy
02-26-2007, 07:40 AM
I would, if there was no better LB, DT, CB, OL, or Greg Olsen was off the board...

BiggerFoot
02-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Speaking of Greg Olsen, he has put on some clinics at the combine and has likely worked his way into the bottom of the first or the beginning of the second round. His speed and his hands not to mention his lineage are all real positives for him. The only offensive players I can see the Saints taking are WR and TE, with that being said my WR favorites are Ginn and Meachem and TE are Olsen and Ben Patrick. I could see the Saints trading up in the 2nd round for Olsen or Meachem if they fall that far. Both would be great additions to our team. I think that Olsen would give our offense something we have never had. There are no great TEs in Free Agency so he would be sight for sore eyes for Brees whose wreaks havoc with a solid TE

Auron
02-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Linebackers, and Defensive linemen working out today. Who's impressing you?

edit: borrowed from the Combine thread in the draft forum.

Linebacker 40 Times

* Antwan Barnes, Florida International - 4.40
* Quincy Black, New Mexico - 4.42
* Tim Shaw, Penn State - 4.43
* Patrick Willis, Mississippi - 4.49
* Justin Durant, Hampton - 4.51
* Chad Nkang, Elon - 4.51
* Juwan Simpson, Alabama - 4.51
* David Harris, Michigan - 4.53
* Zak DeOssie, Brown - 4.53
* Lawrence Timmons, Florida State - 4.59
* Jon Beason, Miami - 4.64
* Buster Davis, Florida State - 4.67
* Paul Posluszny, Penn State - 4.68
* Stewert Bradley, Nebraska - 4.69
* Michael Okwo, Stanford - 4.69
* Sam Olajubutu, Arkansas - 4.69
* Rufus Alexander, Oklahoma - 4.70
* Dallas Sartz, USC - 4.70
* Quinton Culberson, Mississippi State - 4.77
* KaMichael Hall, Georgia Tech - 4.79
* Blair Phillips, Oregon - 4.82
* Kelvin Smith, Syracuse - 4.83
* Earl Everett, Florida - 4.88
* Prescott Burrgess, Michigan - 4.90
* Jon Abbate Wake, Forest
* Desmond Bishop, California
* H.B. Blades, Pittsburgh
* Nate Harris, Louisville
* Zach Latimer, Oklahoma
* Marvin Mitchell, Tennessee
* Brandon Siler, Florida
* Justin Warren, Texas A&M
* Anthony Waters, Clemson
* Rory Johnson, Ole Miss
* Stephen Nicholas, South Florida
* Tony Taylor, Georgia

Linebacker Bench Press Results (225)

* Desmond Bishop, Cal-Berkeley 33
* Antwan Barnes, Florida Int. 31
* Stephen Nicholas, South Florida 29
* Stewart Bradley, Nebraska 28
* Jonathan Abbate, Wake Forest 26
* Zak Deossie, Brown 26
* Nate Harris, Louisville 26
* Kelvin Smith, Syracuse 26
* Tony Taylor, Georgia 26
* Tim Shaw, Penn St. 26
* Lawrence Timmons, Florida St. 25
* Anthony Waters, Clemson 25
* Rufus Alexander, Oklahoma 25
* Justin Durant, Hampton 25
* Quincy Black, New Mexico 24
* Buster Davis, Florida St. 24
* Sam Olajubutu, Arkansas 24
* David Harris, Michigan 23
* Blair Phillips, Oregon 23
* Chad Nkang, Elon 23
* Patrick Willis, Mississippi 22
* Paul Poslusny, Penn St. 22
* Marvin Mitchell, Tennessee 22
* H.B. Blades, Pittsburgh 22
* Michael Okwo, Stanford 20
* Dallas Sartz, Southern Cal 20
* Jon Beason Miami, (Fla.) 19
* Prescott Burgess, Michigan 19
* Earl Everett, Florida 19
* Rory Johnson, Mississippi 19
* Zach Latimer, Oklahoma 19
* Quinton Culberson, Mississippi St. 18
* Justin Warren, Texas A&M 16
* Juwan Simpson, Alabama 15

Inside Linebackers

* Jon Abbate Wake, Forest 5096 231
* Desmond Bishop, California 6017 239
* H.B. Blades, Pittsburgh 5106 236
* Quinton Culberson, Mississippi St. 6005 236
* Buster Davis, Florida St. 5093 239
* Zak DeOssie, Brown 6045 250
* David Harris, Michigan 6022 243
* Nate Harris, Louisville 6003 230
* Zach Latimer, Oklahoma 6016 237
* Marvin Mitchell, Tennessee 6030 249
* Chad Nkang, Elon 5114 220
* Michael Okwo, Stanford 5113 232
* Blair Phillips, Oregon 6011 243
* Brandon Siler, Florida 6016 241
* Kelvin Smith, Syracuse 6020 240
* Justin Warren, Texas A&M 6025 245
* Anthony Waters, Clemson 6025 245
* Patrick Willis, Ole Miss 6011 242

Outside Linebackers

* Rufus Alexander, Oklahoma 6007 228
* Antwan Barnes, Florida International 6005 240
* Jon Beason, Miami (FL) 6002 237
* Quincy Black, New Mexico 6015 240
* Stewart Bradley, Nebraska 6036 254
* Prescott Burgess, Michigan 6033 240
* Justin Durant, Hampton 6007 230
* Earl Everett, Florida 6024 238
* KaMichael Hall, Georgia Tech 6000 228
* Rory Johnson, Ole Miss 6001 232
* Stephen Nicholas, South Florida 6013 232
* Sam Olajubutu, Arkansas 5086 227
* Paul Posluszny, Penn St. 6015 238
* Dallas Sartz, USC 6047 235
* Tim Shaw, Penn St. 6014 236
* Juwan Simpson, Alabama 6023 225
* Tony Taylor, Georgia 6004 236
* Lawrence Timmons, Florida St. 6007 234

Note:
Heights are listed in scouting terminology and the last number represents 1/8 of an inch.
Ex. 511 would be 5-11 7/8, 6044 would be 6-4 1/2, 5093 would be 5-9 3/8, etc...

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
02-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Barnes is a freak.

Auron
02-26-2007, 01:27 PM
I think with Willis' combine numbers that takes him out of our reach, as he will probably be the 1st LB off the board now.

I really like what I saw from Poz, and some of the other LBs...

really wish Cornerbacks would run today. I will be awaiting that.

Sveen
02-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Desmond Bishop having 33 reps at 225 is impressive. I would like to see us pick him up on Day 2. Don't know much about him, but Antwan Barnes running a 4.40 is also very impressive.

Auron
02-27-2007, 04:46 AM
Cornerbacks run today,going to be really interested in that.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
02-27-2007, 07:41 AM
Cornerbacks run today,going to be really interested in that.

I hope Aaron Ross doesn't run *too* good so we can still have a shot at him.

Auron
02-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Defensive Backs 40 Times

Chris Houston, Arkansas - 4.32

Marcus McCauley, Fresno State - 4.33

LaRon Landry, LSU - 4.35

Josh Wilson, Maryland - 4.35

Eric Wright, UNLV - 4.38

Jonathan Wade, Tennessee - 4.38

Kenny Scott, Georgia Tech - 4.37

Leon Hall, Michigan - 4.39

Tarvarious Bain, Hampton - 4.43

Anthony Arline, Baylor - 4.43

John Wendling, Wyoming - 4.43

Michael Griffin, Texas - 4.45

Sabby Piscitelli, Oregon State - 4.44

Aaron Ross, Texas - 4.47

Bo Smith, Weber State - 4.48

Brandon Meriweather, Miami - 4.49

Eric Weddle, Utah - 4.51

Chinedum Ndukwe, Notre Dame - 4.51

Ryan Smith, Florida - 4.51

C.J. Wilson, Baylor - 4.52

Marvin White, TCU - 4.53

Reggie Nelson, Florida - 4.53

Brandon McDonald, Memphis - 4.57

Darren Stone, Maine - 4.58

Trumaine McBride, Ole Miss - 4.58

Kevin Payne, LA-Monroe - 4.59

Leonard Peters, Hawaii - 4.68

Marcus Paschal, Iowa - 4.69

Chaz Williams, LA-Monroe - 4.72

Daymeion Hughes, California - 4.72

J.D. Nelson, Oregon - 4.86

Tanard Jackson, Syracuse -

Darrelle Revis, Pitt - DNR

Cornerbacks Ht. and Wt.

Anthony Arline Baylor 6016 199
Travarous Bain Hampton 6002 182
Fred Bennett South Carolina 6007 196
Tyron Brackenridge Washington St. 5114 189
Tarell Brown Texas 5105 190
Michael Coe Alabama St. 6005 190
Duane Coleman Clemson 5093 199
A.J. Davis North Carolina St. 5100 193
C.J. Gaddis Clemson 5114 203
Dashon Goldson Washington
Corey Graham New Hampshire 5117 195
Leon Hall Michigan 5112 193
Chris Houston Arkansas 5097 185
Daymeion Hughes California 5101 190
David Irons Auburn 5102 190
DeAndre Jackson Iowa St. 5113 193
Tanard Jackson Syracuse
Reggie Lewis Florida 5100 204
Trumaine McBride Ole Miss 5091 185
Marcus McCauley Fresno St. 6006 203
Brandon McDonald Memphis 5107 181
Darrelle Revis Pittsburgh 5114 204
Aaron Ross Texas 6004 193
Kenny Scott Georgia Tech 6007 179
Ryan Smith Florida 5102 174
Bo Smith Weber St. 5102 193
Jonathan Wade Tennessee 5100 190
Chaz Williams Louisiana-Monroe 5111 196
C.J. Wilson Baylor 6012 196
Josh Wilson Maryland 5092 189
Eric Wright UNLV 5105 192

Auron
02-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Houston and McCauley surprised with super fast times, Daymeion Hughes with a 4.72 kills him. He'll slip to late day 1, maybe day 2 with that.

diabsoule
02-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Hughes is probably going to fall into Day 2. I'm suprised Ross' time wasn't faster.

I think by the looks of the 40's and their weigh-in we will definately be able to address our CB needs in the 1st if Willis and Puz are off the board.

BiggerFoot
02-27-2007, 10:00 PM
I think that we should draft a defensive back with the 2nd round pick. I just do not think that we will get good value at CB because the creme of the crop will be gone. I think that Fred Bennett or maybe if we are really lucky Aaron Ross in the 2nd.
Whomever we draft we need a playmaker on Defense we did not really have one last year. Our defense needs to cause more turnovers, we did not cause very many last year and that is a huge boost in a game.

Flyboy
02-28-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm wanting Chris Houston so bad right now it's scary.

diabsoule
02-28-2007, 02:40 PM
There are a few defensive backs I would like to get: Leon Hall, Darrelle Revis, Aaron Ross, Fred Bennett, Tanard Jackson... Even some guys to look to in the later rounds like Michael Coe and DeAndre Jackson.

I'm very iffy about Chris Houston, esp. now that he has the Ahmad Carroll comparison.

Auron
02-28-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm very iffy about Chris Houston, esp. now that he has the Ahmad Carroll comparison.

I don't think he'll be anything like Carroll, people say that because they have similar height and were both Arkansas CB.

Houston has a better work ethic, and improved every year at Arkansas. He is
also a lot stronger than Carroll and can jam receivers at the line.

I'm actually starting to think he might be gone before 27 as well as guys like Willis, Olsen...so that might limit the options.

I'm starting to feel really questionable about Tanard Jackson, he seems like he has trouble in deep coverage and might be better suited to be a safety, or zone corner.

Does not have very good hands or ball skills...Not much of a playmaker...Can be too aggressive at times...Timed speed is only average at best and he might have trouble in deep coverage...Has character questions that need to be looked into.

Saints Dome Patrol
02-28-2007, 04:49 PM
I don't think he'll be anything like Carroll, people say that because they have similar height and were both Arkansas CB.

Houston has a better work ethic, and improved every year at Arkansas. He is
also a lot stronger than Carroll and can jam receivers at the line.

I'm actually starting to think he might be gone before 27 as well as guys like Willis, Olsen...so that might limit the options.

I'm starting to feel really questionable about Tanard Jackson, he seems like he has trouble in deep coverage and might be better suited to be a safety, or zone corner.

Personally, I talked to diabsoule about Chris Houston that the only comparison I can attach between him and Ahmad Carroll is just like you said, height, and of course, that they're both from Arkansas.

With the recent blazing 4.32 speed in the 40 in Indianapolis, Houston may have boosted himself out of the late first/early second to one of the top cornerbacks taken in April.

That being said, with players like Houston and Patrick Willis separating themselves from the rest of the pack, we might be in a pickle on Draft day.

Auron
04-14-2007, 12:33 AM
With the Draft rapidly approaching, just under 2 weeks now. Figured we could use a thread just for some Hardcore Draft talk, and post in it during the Draft.

So we've seen the combine, pro-day results, we've had some time to watch a little film on prospects. Who are the prospects you guys really like? Anyone have any player rankings, or big board made yet?

Here are the confirmed prospects that have personally visited / or are scheduled to visit with the Saints:

Paul Posluszny (OLB) Penn St.
Penn State linebacker Paul Posluszny has interviews scheduled with San Diego and New Orleans.
- Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Trent Edwards (QB) Stanford.
John Murphy, of Yahoo! Sports, reports the New Orleans Saints have a private visit set up with Stanford QB Trent Edwards.

John Beck (QB) BYU
BYU QB John Beck, who just welcomed a baby boy named Ty in Utah, will visit the Saints (http://nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts), Ravens and Lions.

Marcus McCauley (CB) Fresno St.
McCauley just returned from an official visit with the Eagles, and is now going to San Diego, then New York on Thursday and New Orleans (http://www.fresnobee.com/189/story/41051.html) on Sunday. After that: the Patriots, Giants and Titans.

Eric Wright (CB) UNLV
KFFL has learned the New Orleans Saints will meet with University of Nevada-Las Vegas CB Eric Wright April 14-15.

Ray McDonald (DT/DE) Florida
The 6-foot-4, 276-pound lineman has recovered from two serious knee surgeries two years ago and has been drawing interest from the New York Giants, New York Jets, Kansas City Chiefs, Carolina Panthers, Browns, Saints (http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/articles/2007/04/07/sports/dsports407.txt), Miami Dolphins, Cincinnati Bengals, Falcons and San Francisco 49ers. (reported on Sirius radio we have set up a visit)

Joe Staley (OT) Central Mich.
Staley currently has visits scheduled with the St. Louis Rams and New Orleans Saints. (http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/articles/2007/04/07/sports/dsports407.txt)

----
If anyone else knows of any prospects that have met with the Saints post them here please.

diabsoule
04-14-2007, 03:28 AM
Here is the official Saints Draft Discussion thread!

I'd like to thank Auron for taking the time to point out that we need a thread like this just for who we think the either the Saints should draft or for official visits by upcoming members of this years draft.

504 to ATL
04-14-2007, 03:32 AM
Huh no mention of Chris Houston, that is a surprise considering he might be the best CB avalible at the time they draft.

Auron
04-14-2007, 07:13 AM
Huh no mention of Chris Houston, that is a surprise considering he might be the best CB avalible at the time they draft.
I don't think they are done setting up visits, a team can have up to 30 prospects visit I believe.

and also it's not a certainty that the players they do bring in are the main targets, often times a player that gets drafted admits he didn't even know the team was interested in him.

TigerBait45
04-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Heres a question..

If all 4 first round corners (Hall, Revis, Houston and Ross) are off the board when we select at 27, would you rather take Justin Harrell or Dwayne Bowe?

I personally don't think either one is a bad pick if they're our BPA. I think I'd take Harrell before Bowe because a young DT is a pretty big need for the Saints right now, but Bowe could be a really solid pick if nobody else is around.

Auron
04-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Heres a question..

If all 4 first round corners (Hall, Revis, Houston and Ross) are off the board when we select at 27, would you rather take Justin Harrell or Dwayne Bowe?

I personally don't think either one is a bad pick if they're our BPA. I think I'd take Harrell before Bowe because a young DT is a pretty big need for the Saints right now, but Bowe could be a really solid pick if nobody else is around.

I'm thinking that come draft time if we want one of the top tier Corners we're going to have to trade up for sure. Hall, Houston, and Revis have done nothing but raise their stock since the combine/pro days, and Ross is rising as well.

In your scenario it depends on how the Saints have each player graded out, if Bowe and Harrell are the BPA, personally I would go with Harrell just because I feel like upgrading the Defense is the biggest priority, and this is a deep WR class.

I could see a good case for either one though.

TigerBait45
04-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing. A trade with Dallas, or someone in that range, seems almost necessary to get the corner we desperately need.

With a lot of picks this year I'd imainge it could be done, so its something to think about.

Auron
04-14-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm trying to make a list of some possibilities, this is in no way a big board or anything just throwing some names out there. More like a database or such.

Top CBs:
Darrelle Revis, Pittsburgh.
Chris Houston, Arkansas.
Aaron Ross, Texas.

Top WRs:
Dwayne Bowe, LSU.
Robert Meachem, Tennesse.
Ted Ginn Jr. Ohio St.
Dwayne Jarrett, USC.

I think most of these guys will be off the board at 27, there is a chance someone could fall. I expect Jarrett to be there but I don't know how interested the Saints will be. (Didn't include Hall because I think he'll be out of reach)

Some of the BPA prospects that should be available. (some are not at a position of need but guys that are expected to be the top value late round 1)

Late Round 1 value
Jon Beason (OLB) Miami.
Lawrence Timmons (OLB) FSU.
Justin Harrell (DT) Tennessee.
Anthony Spencer, (DE) Purdue.
Jarvis Moss (DE) Florida.
Joe Staley (OT) Central Mich.
Michael Griffin (S) Texas
Eric Weddle (S/CB) Utah
Justin Blalock (OG) Texas
Ben Grubbs (OG) Auburn

A lot of underrated players here, there should be some prime LB value available I didn't include Poz because I think he'll be gone, but if he does slide that would be great value as well. Some nice D-line value, with Edge rushing talent which is a possible angle the Saints may look into with Grant's future unclear, Harrell is the interior presence.

I really don't see the Saints looking Guard this early unless they have a guy graded out as a "All Pro type" and it doesn't seem like there are any in this group, although they are solid.

Round 2 Options (no particular order)
Marcus McCauley (CB) Fresno St.
Eric Wright (CB) UNLV
Tanard Jackson (CB/S) Syracuse
Daymeion Hughes (CB) California
Josh Wilson (CB) Maryland
David Harris (MLB) Michigan
Steward Bradley (OLB) Nebraska.
Rufus Alexander (OLB) Oklahoma.
Brandon Mebane (DT) California.
Quinn Pitcock (DT) Ohio St.
Ray McDonald (DE/DT) Florida.
Sidney Rice (WR) South Carolina.
Craig Davis (WR) LSU.
Steve Smith (WR) USC.
Ben Patrick (TE) Delaware.

Probably missed a few guys, overall there is a chance we might trade back into the top of round 2, if there's nothing appealing if we're stuck at 27. A few underrated receivers that get overshadowed by the top tier, some run stuffing guys at DT, There is some CB value here also it depends on how our staff views McCauley, Wright both have different concerns but it looks like they are further investigating them.

Round 3 & On (no order)
H.B Blades (LB) Pittsburgh.
Zak DeOssie (MLB) Brown
Justin Durant (OLB) Hampton
Quincy Black (OLB) New Mexico
Tim Shaw (OLB) Penn St.
Michael Okwo (OLB) Stanford

Turk McBride (DT) Tennessee
Ryan McBean (DT/DE) Oklahoma St.
Kareem Brown (DT) Miami
LaMarr Woodley (DE) Michigan
Dan Bazuin (DE) Central Mich.

David Irons (CB) Auburn
Fred Bennett (CB) South Carolina
Jonathon Wade (CB) Tennessee
Michael Coe (CB) Alabama St.
Travarous Bain (CB) Hampton
CJ Gaddis (CB) Clemson
AJ Davis (CB) NC State
DeAndre Jackson (CB) Iowa St.

Aundrae Allison (WR) East Carolina
Johnnie Lee Higgins (WR) UTEP
Courtney Taylor (WR) Auburn
Jacoby Jones (WR) Lane
Paul Williams (WR) Fresno St.

Matt Spaeth (TE) Minnesota
Scott Chandler (TE) Iowa
Martrez Milner (TE) Georgia

Manuel Ramirez (OG) Texas Tech
Andy Alleman (OG) Akron
Mansfield Wrotto (OG) Georgia Tech
----

not very comprehensive but I just wanted to get a basic look at some possibilities visualized round by round.

TigerBait45
04-14-2007, 10:58 PM
I'll tell you what, grabbing McCauley in the 2nd would be great if we didn't get a corner in the first.

Justin Harrell, McCauley, and someone like H.B. Blades would be a really nice first day.

Saints67
04-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Saints are VERY interested in Daymeion Hughes, as well....

per his interview on Siruis.

Saints67
04-15-2007, 10:22 AM
here is a site that shows players, that the Saints are interested in...
http://www.newerascouting.com/index.php?c=33&a=103

also, the saints have a interview with Paul Puz (LB, Penn State), per.....
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_502684.html

also, on 'saintsreport.com' someone reported that Lawernce Timmons (LB, FSU) has a visit set up with us as well.

Auron
04-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Saints are VERY interested in Daymeion Hughes, as well....also, the saints have a interview with Paul Puz

Interesting stuff. Looks like the Saints are doing their homework on the 2nd tier CBs (McCauley, Hughes, Wright)

Added the Posluszny visit to the first post.

TigerBait45
04-15-2007, 03:25 PM
I don't like Hughes too much. I don't think he has the speed to be successful in the NFL.

He'd make a good nickel guy in a tampa 2, but I don't think he can play man to man consistently at this level.

Daonly
04-15-2007, 03:30 PM
I met Ryan Kalil through a friend of mines Friday. What a great guy! Not as Big as I thought;but anyways; He told us he was headed to New Orleans Yesterday which was Saturday. Sorry I been busy so I couldn't post this till now. He said They have shown the most interest in him. That's all for now.

Daonly
04-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Oh by the way I live in Los Angeles, and I'm a Texans Fan, so I just passing along info about your team..

Auron
04-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Oh by the way I live in Los Angeles, and I'm a Texans Fan, so I just passing along info about your team..

Thanks for the info sir.

Kalil eh? haven't read anything yet maybe there will be some info soon concerning him and the Saints.

Daonly
04-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Oh he also told my friend that he's concerned with living in New Orleans, and his frist choice would be Denver;but he like the team.

TigerBait45
04-15-2007, 04:38 PM
I dunno if he'll even be around for us to take, but I like him a lot. Hes a guy you can plug into your line and be set with for 10 years.

diabsoule
04-15-2007, 06:56 PM
I'd love for us to land him but I don't think Pittsburgh will pass on him, but if they do and he falls to our pick in the 2nd Rd. then I'd jump on the opportunity to land him.

diabsoule
04-15-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm not too interested in any of the 2nd tier cornerbacks that the Saints have visted with, with the possible exception of Marcus McCauley. The players I like are Fred Bennett, Josh Wilson, Michael Coe, and David Irons and those are guys we could look to target in Round 3.

TigerBait45
04-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Irons is nasty. One of the toughest DB's in this draft, I think.

Auron
04-15-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm not too interested in any of the 2nd tier cornerbacks that the Saints have visted with, with the possible exception of Marcus McCauley. The players I like are Fred Bennett, Josh Wilson, Michael Coe, and David Irons and those are guys we could look to target in Round 3.

For the most part I agree. Each of those guys have their own concerns. Wright has a lot of talent but has character concerns with off the field issues. McCauley has great upside, but underachieved his senior season. Hughes timed very poorly and has questions about whether he can transition in a man to man scheme on an NFL level.

If the Saints are unable to land a top tier corner, I would not panic at all if they waited until the 3rd tier to get their guy(s) in the 3rd/4th. I wonder which one one they'll target. Just going to post a small summary browsing through Scott's reports.

Josh Wilson, Maryland.
(+ Positives) Great speed, excellent quickness, agility, and leaping skills. Good instincts, and can run with receivers down field

(- Negatives) Lacks height, undersized, average hands.

Overall I really like his speed, I think he can step in and prevent giving up the deep play for us. However his lack of size may make for mismatches against him in the redzone, and possibly in run support.

Fred Bennett, South Carolina.
(+ Positives) Good size, frame. Quick, aggressive in coverage and will get hands on the football. Good leaper.

(- Negatives) Not physical, average tackler, hips may be a bit stiff. Underachieves at times and does not always play up to his physical tools.

I think he's a little riskier than the others, the physical tools are there but a bit of an underachiever. I don't know if he's a "Payton type" of player.

David Irons, Auburn.
(+ Positives) Tough, physical and aggressive, good closing speed and quickness. Plays bigger than his size, has a lot of upside.

(- Negatives)
Durability concerns, 2 ACL injuries in the past. Better in press coverage, than off coverage. Does not make many big plays.

Personally I think if he checks out medically he could be a steal. I think he has potential to be a good man press corner. I admit I haven't seen much of him though.

Michael Coe, Alabama St.
(+ Positives) Very good size, frame, long arms. Fluid hips, can turn and run. Instinctive, and closes fast. Has good intangibles.

(- Negatives) Can improve in run support, didn't emerge until he jumped down to a lower competition level.

Probably my favorite 3rd tier prospect, I think he has all the tools to be a good fit in a man to man scheme, however he may be a bit raw coming from Division 1-A and might have to sit and learn a bit early on.

TigerBait45
04-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Irons is really, really physical. He's nasty in the press, is a hard hitter, and has speed to hold down big plays.

I like him a lot.

504 to ATL
04-16-2007, 02:16 AM
Regardless at our pick with the holes we need to fill there are tons of good enough players who could make immediate impacts. As long as the saints draft a position of need in the first round I will be happy.

If we draft BPA first round I will be upset, especially with the holes on defense the Saints currently have.

Auron
04-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Regardless at our pick with the holes we need to fill there are tons of good enough players who could make immediate impacts. As long as the saints draft a position of need in the first round I will be happy.

If we draft BPA first round I will be upset, especially with the holes on defense the Saints currently have.

Well this is what I feel the Saints will do come draft day. Obviously they're going to have their top targets, if they are unable to land those guys. What I think they'll do is try and trade down and look for better value, if they cannot I think they'll definitely go the BPA route. Especially considering looking at the past few years we technically didn't need Will Smith, or Reggie Bush but they were felt to be the Best guys available, and those selections have turned out to pay off huge dividends.

Honestly I think trying to force yourself into a position where you limit yourself to only a few options at one particular position, is a bad Draft strategy. That's when you end up with a Jonathan Sullivan like situation. (had a huge need at DT, traded up and failed) I think at 27, we'll see them do what worked best the past few years, and go the BPA route. Obviously there are going to be a few exceptions (doubt we'll see a QB, or RB early on)

Here's a good article on the Saints Draft Strategy, have to register to read but I'll post it here. Saints Looking for Best Option (http://www.houmatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070416/SPORTS/704160318/1111/ARCHIVES14)
As the New Orleans Saints and the other 31 NFL teams inch toward the April 28-29 draft, they are positioning themselves toward choosing what they consider to be the best option when it comes down to selecting college players.

Every team has a different outlook on exactly where it will address certain weaknesses. But for the Saints, especially early in the draft, they will look to take the best player on the draft board.

That philosophy is a result of the Saints trading up and selecting Georgia defensive tackle Johnathan Sullivan in 2003.

Remember in 2002, the Saints came within a heartbeat of making the playoffs. But a late-season collapse in which they lost three straight games and then-coach Jim Haslett’s stubbornness in not replacing injured starting quarterback Aaron Brooks for Jake Delhomme, eventually sealed his fate in New Orleans.

Haslett desperately wanted a defensive tackle and focused in on the talented, but unmotivated, 310-pound Sullivan.

Armed with two first-round selections, the Saints packaged those picks to move up 11 spots and select Sullivan.

When it comes down to bad draft moves, the trade up to select Sullivan has to go down as one of the Saints’ all-time blunders. But it also left a lasting impression on the Saints’ front office to never this poor of a move again.

Teams will always make poor draft-day decisions because of the inaccuracy in trying to gauge a player’s motivation, work ethic and health issues. But what you are going to see from Saints general manager Mickey Loomis and coach Sean Payton will have more to do with what they have paid for and set up in the offseason than the need for one specific area.

Loomis has said more than once he wants to address immediate needs through veteran free agency and then have the option, especially early on, to take the best player on the Saints’ draft board.

This offseason, the Saints have acquired a possible starter in former San Francisco 49ers tight end Eric Johnson -- provided he can stay healthy, a starting inside linebacker in Brian Simmons from the Cincinnati Bengals and a versatile defender in former Bengals safety Kevin Kaesviharn, who will provide solid depth behind projected starters Josh Bullocks and Roman Harper.

The Saints also traded a sixth-round draft choice to the Miami Dolphins for a very good kicker in Olindo Mare, and signed a solid third wide receiver in veteran David Patten from the Washington Redskins.

Patten has struggled with injuries the past few years, but if he can stay healthy and fight off age-issues -- he will be 33 years old when the season starts -- he will give quarterback Drew Brees a quick, very experienced sure-handed receiving option.

Last week, the Saints signed former Houston Texans linebacker Troy Evans, who is known for his excellent play on special teams, and could provide some depth at linebacker also.

Where the Saints still have a glaring need is at cornerback. Despite efforts to sign free agents Rod Hood, William James and Frank Walker, all three decided to sign elsewhere, and the team is still looking for a seasoned veteran cornerback.

The Saints have talked with veterans Tory James -- a former LSU Tiger who has played the last four seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals -- and Indianapolis Colts restricted free agent Jason David.

David has started 49 games over the past three seasons for the world champions, and it would only cost the Saints a fourth-round choice if the Colts opted not to match a potential offer from the Saints to David.

But what this boils down to is don’t expect the Saints to just focus on drafting a cornerback in Round 1, if the right option is not there.

If the Saints keep the 27th selection, the worst mistake they can make is force a pick like they did with Sullivan, and pass up a much higher-rated player at wide receiver, defensive tackle or linebacker.

Despite the fact the Saints were just one game away from their first Super Bowl appearance, this football team has enough holes -- especially on defense -- to not go the route of picking the best player on the board.

The good football teams in this league stay on top because they draft well and don’t reach for a lower-ranked player just because he could fill a position of need.

The option of the Saints trading up in the first round for a player they really like is certainly an option. They did this in 2004 when they traded up three spots, (they gave up a first-round pick that year and a third-round choice in 2005), to select Oklahoma offensive tackle Jammal Brown.

While the Saints still may pick a cornerback in Round 1 if they see a player like Pittsburgh’s Darrelle Revis or Arkansas’ Chris Houston fall a bit. If they don’t trade up to assure themselves the chance of picking one of those match-up cover people, don’t be surprised to see the Saints pick a player like LSU wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, USC wideout Dwayne Jarrett, Tennessee defensive tackle Justin Harrell or Penn State linebacker Paul Posluszny.

The smart thing to do is pick the best player on the board. Now if the best player is a quarterback, running back or an offensive tackle, I see them passing on these positions, but not a top talent at wide receiver, defensive tackle or linebacker if the right cornerback is not around.

One former Saints regional scout said while Haslett had a great amount of say at draft time during his tenure, he believes the working relationship with Loomis and Payton is much better.

"Jim publicly put most of those bad choices on the scouting department, but he had a great say on who this team selected and he was not a good talent evaluator," the former scout said. "To be honest, Jim had very little working respect for anyone in that organization. Sean has a much better eye for talent and he has a certain blueprint for the right player he wants and he doesn’t move off that type performer. When you pick this low in Round 1, you look for a value pick and that probably will not be at cornerback, unless you trade up to pick one. In my opinion the real value choice late in Round One will probably be at wide receiver and maybe even at linebacker. You can focus on need areas with later round picks, but in rounds one and two, I just believe you can’t just focus on a position or two."

While the Saints still have holes to fill at cornerback, defensive tackle, wide receiver and linebacker, they have made it clear that they will not reach for a certain spot in the first round, and that’s smart.

Yes, the Saints are in need of a quality cover-corner, but that doesn’t mean they will pick one in the opening round if the right player is not on the board.

This should make this quite an interesting draft day for the New Orleans Saints.

DAVID AND THE GOLIATHS

The Saints’ decision to bring in Jason David for a visit and possible contract talks raised some eyebrows across the NFL.

David is a good starting cornerback, and he has excelled in the Colts’ Cover-2 defensive scheme. But the 5-foot-8, 174-pounder does not seem to be the exact fit for the New Orleans Saints in defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs’ scheme that emphasizes more man-to-man pressure coverage.

David has shown he has the foot speed, toughness and ballhawking skills to play in the NFL, his size puts him at a disadvantage in one-on-one coverage downfield against the much larger wideouts in the league.

One veteran NFL offensive coordinator who has gone up against David quite a few times since the Colts selected him in the fourth round of the 2004 draft said David may be the best option the Saints have at this stage, despite his lack of ideal size.

"Gary Gibbs likes to play a lot of tight one-on-one coverage sets and while this is not ideal for David, I have gone against him enough to say that he would be a good option for New Orleans," the current AFC offensive coordinator said. "He is not very big and quarterbacks will go after him, if the Saints sign him, due to his lack of size, but he is a very feisty kid and he has excellent foot recovery speed. He is a perfect fit for a team who uses a lot of the Tampa-2 coverage schemes and I am shocked that some team would not make a run at him if all they had to give up was a fourth round choice to acquire him.

"I have looked at a number of the young cornerbacks in this draft and while guys like Leon Hall, Chris Houston, Darrelle Revis in Round 1 and even players like Marcus McCauley from Fresno State and Alabama State’s Michael Coe later on would fit what the Saints run on defense, there aren’t a lot of these real physical cornerbacks who excel in man-on-man schemes," the coordinator continued. "Jason is a real good kid and an overachiever type player. What jumps out at you about David in my opinion is his quick reaction skills. After I saw what Sean Payton and Gibbs got out of that defense last season, this coaching staff knows the right type players to get and while the fit doesn’t look right on paper, this kid can play."

NFL analyst Mike Detillier is based in Raceland.
The bolded parts are IMO the thoughts I'm trying to echo.

Flyboy
04-17-2007, 10:44 PM
I really really wouldn't want us selecting Justin Harrell.

Auron
04-18-2007, 12:26 AM
I really really wouldn't want us selecting Justin Harrell.

Just curious, but how come? Personally he's not my ideal choice but if the Saints were in a situation where their primary targets are off the board and they selected him I wouldn't be be opposed to it.

He's very athletic, and quick for a big guy his size. Can disrupt plays in the backfield, good tackler who plays the run well.

However the most impressive thing about this kid IMO is his character. He's described as a hard worker, with top intangibles. Someone who will play through pain to help his team. UT Sports: Harrell (http://s159447050.onlinehome.us/utvols/phillipfulmer/06/videos/harrellspotlight.wmv) In this video his teammates, and coaches talk about his leadership qualities by leading by example, in the way he handles himself on and off the field.

I think he's pretty much the polar opposite of a guy like Sullivan, who was unmotivated, and had a questionable work ethic.

504 to ATL
04-18-2007, 01:59 AM
Question:

as much as the Saints need help at various LB cores why Pouz over Timmons from FSU, that is if he is still availible?

Auron
04-18-2007, 05:20 AM
Question:

as much as the Saints need help at various LB cores why Pouz over Timmons from FSU, that is if he is still availible?

Good question. I think with Timmons, it's a case of higher upside vs. bust potential. He has great "potential" but is also very inexperienced and a team taking him is gambling that he'll be able to reach it.

While on the other hand with Posluszny you pretty much know what your getting, a blue-collar, instinctive LB. Who might not have the amazing athletic talent, but he goes out and gets the job done anyway.

Personally the more I watch of Jon Beason the more I like. He's going to have to bulk up a bit, but he reads the plays well and snuffs them out.

TigerBait45
04-18-2007, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't mind Harrell, honestly.

A good young DT is a big need for the Saints and Harrell is really solid.

Sveen
04-18-2007, 04:45 PM
Out of the linebackers that might fall to us:
1. Jon Beason
2. Lawrence Timmons
3. Paul Posluszny

CB, Beason, Timmons or Harrell would be nice. Or maybe a WR if a good one falls to us.

BiggerFoot
04-18-2007, 11:27 PM
My Big board for the Saints
LB.
Willis (somehow please Jesus let him fall)
Beason
Timmons
Puz

WR
Ginn
Meachem
Bowe
Rice (2nd round or trade down)

CB
Revis
Hall
Houston
Ross
McCauley (trade down)

DT
Harrell

TigerBait45
04-18-2007, 11:32 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't like Ginn? I mean, hes fast, but thats about all I think he has going for him.

Auron
04-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't like Ginn? I mean, hes fast, but thats about all I think he has going for him.
I'm not particularly high on him. Blazing speed but the questions about his hands, and route running kind of worry me. (it would be like having another Devery Henderson)

However he is an explosive threat in the return game, which I do like. With Michael Lewis aging that is an area that could use improvement. However I don't believe a return man is worth burning a 1st rounder for.

Saints Dome Patrol
04-19-2007, 12:50 AM

I'm not particularly high on him. Blazing speed but the questions about his hands, and route running kind of worry me. (it would be like having another Devery Henderson)

However he is an explosive threat in the return game, which I do like. With Michael Lewis aging that is an area that could use improvement. However I don't believe a return man is worth burning a 1st rounder for.

Yeah, I was going to post that I'm not sold on Teddy Ginn either, but Auron beat me to it. Like he said, Ginn seems to be a little too much like Devery Henderson, and we don't need another speed wide receiver. Rather, we need someone like a possession receiver, like possibly a Steve Smith from Southern Cal or a Craig Davis from LSU.

Flyboy
04-19-2007, 01:01 AM

Not big on Ginn at all -- he has all the potential in the world, but for me he's just too raw for my tastes. Ginn is one of the few players that if we select on draft day I'd be highly upset.

504 to ATL
04-19-2007, 03:45 AM
Rather, we need someone like a possession receiver, like possibly a Steve Smith from Southern Cal or a Craig Davis from LSU.

Haha yeah I have posted the same thing, it is so true thats all the Saints need. You know what you are getting with those guys, no bust potential.

TigerBait45
04-19-2007, 11:36 AM
I'd love it if Craig Davis fell to us in the 2nd. Hes fast enough to stretch the field, a great route runner and really soft hands.

Saints67
04-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Adam Schien on Siruis radio yesterday, mentioned that the Saints "LOVE" David Harris (MLB, Mich). he said that they like him enough that they could snatch him up in the 1st at #27.

per: http://saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26507

i would like Harris, but maybe in the 2nd round. Also, didn't we sign Simmons to be the starting MLB?

Auron
04-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Adam Schien on Siruis radio yesterday, mentioned that the Saints "LOVE" David Harris (MLB, Mich). he said that they like him enough that they could snatch him up in the 1st at #27.

i would like Harris, but maybe in the 2nd round. Also, didn't we sign Simmons to be the starting MLB?

The rumors start to heat up big time this close to the Draft. Schein may very well have some knowledge on the situation, but I doubt he knows exactly who the Saints top target/s are, and exactly how the Saints big board is shaping up.

Harris is a good player, and strong in the middle. I'd imagine maybe they could trade down a few slots, and pick up Harris if there was no one else they liked at 27. Even though we did sign Simmons, I'd have to imagine if they Draft a LB like Harris it'll be to groom for the future as a longterm solution since Simmons is 31.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-19-2007, 06:25 PM

I'm glad the Saints LOVE Harris, because I also LOVE Harris. I see him as the next DeMeco Ryans.

Simmons is getting older and does have some injury concerns. I do think he's got a solid 2-3 years left in him, but you never know. If we get David at CB, I think it would be acceptable to take Harris at #27.

TigerBait45
04-19-2007, 10:00 PM
I think it depends who else is on the board. If someone like Poz or Timmons, or maybe even Beason are still around (unlikely but you never know) then we should probably scoop one of them up.

Poz would be a huge steal at 27.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-20-2007, 07:49 AM
I think it depends who else is on the board. If someone like Poz or Timmons, or maybe even Beason are still around (unlikely but you never know) then we should probably scoop one of them up.

Poz would be a huge steal at 27.

Poz is the only one I'd definitely take over Harris. Beason would also get a good, long look. I'd definitely take Harris before Timmons.

Auron
04-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Visits with Lawrence Timmons, and Robert Meachem confirmed.

Link - NFL.com (http://nfl.com/draft/story/10137561)
Florida State's Lawrence Timmons, an atypical linebacker who blitzed a lot from the strong side in college. The most unusual thing for him during the whole workout process of the draft has been meeting face-to-face with "so many coaches that I see on TV all the time. I'm thinking, WOW, I can't believe I'm talking to this guy." Timmons has been on a journey in the past few weeks that took him to Detroit, Cincinnati, San Diego, Pittsburgh and New Orleans, among others.

With two weeks of travel that included visits to St. Louis, Minnesota, San Diego, Atlanta, New Orleans, Kansas City and San Francisco, Tennessee Volunteers wide receiver Robert Meachem has the right to be tired.

If you know of any other new visits please post.

GermanSaint
04-21-2007, 09:03 AM
quick question : i need a WR with my 4th round pick for the saints. who should i pick ? rhema mcnkight or laurent robinson ?

TigerBait45
04-23-2007, 08:45 PM
The new mock has us taking John Beck in the 2nd round. To me, this is almost a waste of a high round pick, considering the other needs we have.

I can't be the only one who feels this way can I?

BiggerFoot
04-23-2007, 09:22 PM
I feel the same way about the Beck pick in the 2nd, I would much rather trade up or down than pick a QB in the 2nd round.
I really like the Justin Harrell pick I think he has shown that he has the heart to play the game which is a great quality for a football player to have, you know he will not be slacking off.
Questioning the Beck pick
In the 3rd he has us going WR in "Drae" don't really know much about him to make a call on this one

Auron
04-23-2007, 10:07 PM
The new mock has us taking John Beck in the 2nd round. To me, this is almost a waste of a high round pick, considering the other needs we have.

I can't be the only one who feels this way can I?

I usually try to keep a very open mind in regards to mocks, but the Beck pick in the 2nd just seems very questionable.

I don't know how the coaching staff has everything planned out but personally I feel there are a lot more priority issues that need to be addressed before a backup QB to groom.

diabsoule
04-24-2007, 07:41 PM
I usually try to keep a very open mind in regards to mocks, but the Beck pick in the 2nd just seems very questionable.

I don't know how the coaching staff has everything planned out but personally I feel there are a lot more priority issues that need to be addressed before a backup QB to groom.

I feel the very same way about the Beck pick. I know our second rounder is very hard to nail down but I consider to be a reach in the bottom second round.

diabsoule
04-24-2007, 07:46 PM
10. New Orleans takes a late-round flyer on Paul Thompson: We'll grant you that the Oklahoma senior quarterback hasn't generated much pre-draft buzz, but you still might want to remember his name and see where he lands on the NFL map. The Saints make sense, because with Drew Brees firmly entrenched as the starter, they'd have the luxury of time to groom a young quarterback with an impressive set of physical skills and intangibles.

Who's Thompson? He's the guy who bailed out coach Bob Stoops and the Sooners last season, leading Oklahoma to an 11-2 record and a surprise Big 12 Championship Game win over Nebraska before the Sooners' memorable Fiesta Bowl overtime loss to Boise State. That despite Oklahoma losing star running back Adrian Peterson for most of the season with a broken collarbone.

Thompson played receiver for most of 2005 after losing his QB job to Rhett Bomar, but when Bomar was kicked off the Sooners team in August 2006, Thompson rode to the rescue. While some in the NFL see him as another Michael Robinson, the ex-Penn State quarterback turned running back, Thompson is worth a look as a passer. He's 6-4, 220 pounds, and runs a 4.6. He has just the one season as a starting quarterback, but for a team that can afford to have a little patience with him, he could provide a huge payoff.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/04/24/draft/2.html
__________________________________________________ _____________________

I really like that idea. He'd add another versatile weapon to our offense. I'd like to take a flyer on either him or Isaiah Stanback.

Auron
04-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Thompson sounds intriguing. If he's there in the late rounds it's worth a look.

Saints Dome Patrol
04-27-2007, 12:16 PM
The end is near... the moment of truth is almost upon us... and the question on everybody's mind...:

Pizza or Buffalo Wings...? :D

Auron
04-27-2007, 12:27 PM
The end is near... the moment of truth is almost upon us... and the question on everybody's mind...:

Pizza or Buffalo Wings...? :D

Tough choice...I'd order both and go from there. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Saints Dome Patrol
04-28-2007, 03:37 AM
"Gentlemen, welcome to Radio City Music Hall, and welcome to the 2007 NFL Draft..."

With the Draft mere hours away, I wanted to create an official thread for all the Saints fans around the globe to discuss the day's festivities.

I know I'm ready. I'm going to be watching the first day with diabsoule, with plenty of food and beer. Plus, he bought a bottle of champagne and I brought some stogies to celebrate a great day one when all is said and done.

Here's hoping that everyone (yes, even you TPFKA#1SaintsFan) gets to watch the Draft and have fun waiting to see what direction the Saints go in...we are definitely in uncharted territory with being able to chose the best player available.

*lifts glass*

Here's to the Black and Gold!
New Orleans -- victorious!
Saints, fearless and bold!

(just a little haiku toast I made up for our favorite team! :))

And of course...

Who Dat? Who Dat? Who Dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints!? :D

diabsoule
04-28-2007, 04:14 AM
I'm ready to watch this face for 16 hours

http://images.radcity.net/5176/936598.jpg

Auron
04-28-2007, 09:50 AM
I'm going to sit back and relax not worry about anything because I have full faith in what the staff and front office are doing. I don't think I could ever say that before..

what time do you think the Saints pick will be?

Flyboy
04-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Way too late, Auron. I'm expecting your call today, SDP! I'm moving today so hopefully when the Saints pick I'll be at a television.

Auron
04-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Way too late, Auron. I'm expecting your call today, SDP! I'm moving today so hopefully when the Saints pick I'll be at a television.

My guess would be after 6 sometime.

You're moving today? :eek: I would hate having to move on Draft Day.

Saints67
04-28-2007, 10:44 AM
hopefully we get 3 GOOD players!!

go D in the 1st!

Sveen
04-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Hmm.. Aaron Ross is gone. Chris Houston is the only CB left with a 1st round grade in my book. Have a feeling he doesn't fall to us at #27. Harrell is also gone. We might end up with Greg Olsen or a WR.

Auron
04-28-2007, 03:48 PM
3 picks from ours and Houston, Posluszny, Beason, Harris, Meachem, and Olsen are still on the board. I think we come away one of them. Alan Branch is there as well. I'm a bit iffy on him so I'm not sure if we should take him.

Flyboy
04-28-2007, 03:49 PM
*prays for Chris Houston*

Auron
04-28-2007, 03:58 PM
*prays for Chris Houston*

Same here, just a few weeks ago I thought he wouldn't make it to our pick. Looks like the Eagles are the only obstacle. I wouldn't be upset with Poz as well.

Panthers went Beason. I hope we don't take Olsen if he's there I don't think he's a bad player I just really don't want a TE this high.

GeauxSaints
04-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Olsen or Poz

i say Poz

Sveen
04-28-2007, 04:09 PM
We have the choice between these players:
Alan Branch
Greg Olsen
Robert Meachem
Chris Houston
Paul Posluszny

This should be good! I'm hoping for Branch.

Auron
04-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Quite a few options, Saints will choose whoever they have graded out the best.

My internet is picking a terrible time to start acting up. :(

GeauxSaints
04-28-2007, 04:18 PM
i dont like branch. we just got rid of our lazy DL. the other 4 would be good. i rank them:

pos, olsen, houston, meachem, branch

Sveen
04-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Robert Meachem. Okay pick. Would have liked Alan Branch here though.

Auron
04-28-2007, 04:22 PM
With the 27th overall pick the Saints select WR, Robert Meachem from Tennessee.

would've liked to see Defense preferably CB or LB, but Meachem was considered one of the top WR prospects. He could be our legitimate #2 guy opposite Colston.

Flyboy
04-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Wasn't high on Branch at all. I'm happy with the pick... signing David allowed us to take the BPA (to us). Our offense just got a little better and WR was a need for us.

Brees/McAllister/Bush/Colston/Henderson/Cooper/Meachem/Johnson. Not too shabby. Not too shabby at all.

Auron
04-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Brees/McAllister/Bush/Colston/Henderson/Cooper/Meachem/Johnson. Not too shabby. Not too shabby at all.

Most definitely. Payton has a ton of flexibility in calling the Offense. I do hope we go mostly Defense from here on out though.

Flyboy
04-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Me too. I'm hoping for a CB in the 2nd rounds... don't think Chris Houston will fall to us, but I'd be happy with Eric Wright, McCauley, or Hughes.

Auron
04-28-2007, 06:38 PM
Ouch the Falcons took Chris Houston. Well looks like he's the enemy now.

Can't wait to see Meachem run past him for a TD. :)

Sveen
04-28-2007, 07:17 PM
Eric Wright in the 2nd would be great.

Flyboy
04-28-2007, 07:22 PM
Houston completely made Meachem irrelevant when they played against each other. Payback time for Meach!

Flyboy
04-28-2007, 07:26 PM

I agree. Either him or Josh Wilson. Maybe even Brandon Siler or HB Blades.

Auron
04-28-2007, 07:27 PM

Still a lot of Defensive value out there.

Wright, McCauley, Siler, Buster Davis (FSU), Rufus Alexander,Tyler, McBride, McDonald.

Even top Center Ryan Kalil is still on the board as of now.

Flyboy
04-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Screw you Cleveland. You're right, Auron. I would be happy with any of those picks... except for McBride, McDonald, & Kalil.

And there goes McBride.

Auron
04-28-2007, 07:49 PM
The site has been going very slow for me I can't seem to post when I want to. Wright, and Josh Wilson are off the board two players we could've used.

We're on the clock. Looks like we traded out of the 58th spot with the Lions. Exchanged for the 66, and 145. Maybe we can still get one of our main targets.

Auron
04-28-2007, 08:53 PM
With the 66th pick we took Usama Young, CB from Kent State.

don't know much about the guy, we did pass on McCauley for him but I'll trust the front office and scouting department on this one after all they did spend countless hours watching the film, and talking to coaches.

Here's Scott's scouting report on him
Strengths: Has good size and a solid frame with long arms...Timed speed is excellent...Very athletic...Hips are fluid...Has terrific feet...Solid tackler...Smart...Tough and a hard worker...Has special teams potential...Pretty productive...Has a lot of experience.

Weaknesses: Did not always play against top competition...Instincts are questionable...Still has to get stronger...Is not overly physical...Awareness is coverage is just average...A workout warrior who might not play up to his triangle numbers..Just okay in man.

Notes: First name is pronounced "oo-SOMM-uh"...A four-year starter...He has everything that you look for from a measurables standpoint...An underrated prospect who really put his name on the map at his Pro Day and will go higher than most think.

diabsoule
04-28-2007, 08:56 PM
I know what the front office is capable of but I would much rather have drafted McCauley than Young.

Sveen
04-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Agree. McCauley should have been the pick.

Sveen
04-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Agree. McCauley should have been the pick.

Auron
04-28-2007, 09:16 PM
I know what the front office is capable of but I would much rather have drafted McCauley than Young.

True at first glance I'd have to agree with you there. However I'm just going to have to trust them on this call, I don't do nearly as much research, and watch as much film as the scouts do.

A lot of other teams passed on McCauley so I have to question what was wrong there. According to this site Young is a hard worker, very intelligent, and he enjoys watching game film and trying to improve himself. Sounds exactly like the type of player Sean Payton is looking for, and the coaches can mold.

Usama Young - New Era Scouting Report (http://www.newerascouting.com/index.php?c=29&a=330)

Smart player who makes the calls in the defensive backfield. Spends a lot of time in the film room preparing for a game. Played in 45 games, starting 37.

Worked hard to get better as a player both physically and mentally. In the off-season, he doesn't get lazy and maintains his hard work habit.

Sveen
04-28-2007, 09:45 PM
We just took Andy Alleman at #88.

Auron
04-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Andy Alleman, OG from Akron with the 88th overall pick.

Good pick I had him going to the Saints in one scenario. Athletic, guy who can get to the outside and 2nd level, perfect fit for the Saints scheme. Provides great depth along the O-line.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-28-2007, 09:46 PM
I'm okay with the Young pick, but not all that excited about this Alleman kid. I wanted Quinn Pitcock there.

Auron
04-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Quite a few nice prospects left for Day 2, we have quite a few picks. I wouldn't rule out the Saints making a move or 2 tomorrow.

Antonio Johnson, Kareem Brown, Walter Thomas, Brandon Siler, Zak DeOssie, Stephen Nicholas, even Ben Patrick hasn't been taken yet.

Auron
04-28-2007, 11:16 PM
Here's a overview of the Saints 1st Day.
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/1329/saintsday1kt9.png

1.27 - Robert Meachem - WR (Tennessee)
Height: 6-2 | Weight: 214 | 40-Time: 4.39
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/67/robertmeachemse3.png

Highlight Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MABDChtX5Z8)
*some very interesting stats "Meachem was thrown to 8 times in the redzone and caught all 8 of those passes, and has never fumbled in his college career."

Has terrific timed speed and quickness with a burst. Excellent size and he knows how to use it. Has a pretty solid build and the frame to bulk up further. Has long arms. Elusive and runs well after the catch. Shows some power and he'll break tackles. Has big hands and will snatch the ball out of the air. A big play threat in the vertical passing game. Coming off his best season and still has some upside.

Auron's Take: After thinking about it for a while I love this pick. Meachem should solidify the #2 WR spot, and be an excellent compliment opposite Colston. He's a humble good character kid, hard worker. Mickey and Sean were surprised when they saw he fell to our pick.

Here's a Madden preview pic of him as a Saint.
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9649/meachemmaddenwl0.png
(love the fact he's getting open against the Bears :D)

2.66 - Usama Young - CB (Kent St.)
Height: 5-11 | Weight: 196 | 40-Time: 4.39

Parts of Usama Young Scouting Report (http://www.newerascouting.com/index.php?c=29&a=330)

Smart player who makes the calls in the defensive backfield. Spends a lot of time in the film room preparing for a game. Played in 45 games, starting 37.

Worked hard to get better as a player both physically and mentally. In the off-season, he doesn't get lazy and maintains his hard work habit.

Young is an extremely athletic football player that often showcases his agility and speed. Will benefit from better coaching, which will help him exploit his physical gifts

A good guy who works in the community and was Kent State's nominee for the Draddy Award which combines academic achievement, community work and football skill. Very humble.

Auron's Take: We traded down into the top of the 3rd to land this pick, we passed on McCauley which seemed like a questionable move but we could've struck gold with another small school gem yet again with Young. He is a great character guy, who is a hardworker, he has great potential, and measurables a highly productive 4 year starter. The important part is, he won't be forced to play right away and the coaches can groom him behind McKenzie, and Jason David.

3.88 - Andy Alleman - OG (Akron)
Height: 6-4 | Weight: 305 | 40-Time: 5.07

Strengths:
Has a good frame and can still get bigger...Excellent athlete for the position with solid timed speed...Moves well and can adjust in space...Hard worker with a great motor...Plays with a nasty attitude...Light on his feet...Has a good deal of upside.

Weaknesses:
Is raw and he still has much to learn about playing the position from a technique and fundamentals standpoint...Could still stand to add some weight...He needs to get stronger, especially in his lower body...Might not be an ideal fit for everyone.

Notes:
Actually began his career as a defensive end at Pittsburgh before transferring in 2004...The type who would appear to be a perfect fit for teams that run a zone blocking scheme...Not yet a finished product but a prospect on the rise who has intriguing potential and could be one of the initial handful chosen at his position.

Auron's Take: Alleman is a perfect fit for our O-line and the scheme as he's a highly athletic Guard, he moves his feet well, and is quick out of his stance. He's a hard worker, with a high motor. He should provide great depth a long the O-line which was much needed since behind Jahri Evans, and Jamar Nesbit we had very little.

Overall I thought we had a solid first day, no one will view it as amazing but that's ok. We brought in high character, hard working, intelligent football players who the front office believe can help the team. I am looking forward to Day 2. Cheers.

BiggerFoot
04-29-2007, 12:36 AM
One of the more under valued aspect that I enjoy about Meachem is, he has NEVER fumbled in his entire collegiate career.

sorry

Stoopid512
04-29-2007, 01:44 AM
I am happy with day one. It took a while for me to digest Meachem, but i'm satisfied. i really, REALLY, wanted to see Puz or Houston since they were available. We did manage to get a speedy CB and a solid o-lineman with two 3rd's, so there will not be complaining from my end. I would like to see them address the defensive line and linebacker tomorrow.

draftguru151
04-29-2007, 07:43 AM
I really liked your guys first day. Meachem was a great pick in the first even if TE was a bigger need. Young was sky rocketing up boards and should make an impact. Alleman should be a great OG duo with Evans for a long time.

GeauxSaints
04-29-2007, 08:11 AM
i like Brandon Siler, Ben Patrick, Antonio Johnson, Kareem Brown for today.

i am not real happy with our draft so far. we have passed on so guys that could have made a huge difference on defense. i think meachem will probably work out, but i pray he doesnt turn into a stallworth. also, he looked disappointed when we picked him. last year we showed some skill in picking quality WRs in the late rounds. i just think that we had bigger needs. i dont know much about young, but i will give them the benefit of the doubt. Alleman should be solid.

Saints67
04-29-2007, 09:54 AM
I am happy with day one. It took a while for me to digest Meachem, but i'm satisfied. i really, REALLY, wanted to see Puz or Houston since they were available. We did manage to get a speedy CB and a solid o-lineman with two 3rd's, so there will not be complaining from my end. I would like to see them address the defensive line and linebacker tomorrow.

same way for me...

today...we HAVE to upgrade the LB/DT-DE-/CB up and possibly S.

Sveen
04-29-2007, 10:00 AM
With the 27th pick in the 2007 NFL Draft the New Orleans Saints select

Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee

http://maddenfb.com/photos/draftpicks/images/39/original.aspx

http://www.easports.com/maddennfl/draft.jsp

Flyboy
04-29-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm really hoping we can steal one of the 'big' LBs today... I'm really high on Rufus Alexander, I've seen him play plenty of times and he would help our LB corps. immediately. Also, someone like HB Blades or Brandon Siler (even though I heard he has injury issues). Also, Ben Patrick is still on the board. And, we still need some depth at QB. If we can address these needs, I'll be set.

Sveen
04-29-2007, 10:36 AM
We have just traded up. Maybe for Patrick? :D

Flyboy
04-29-2007, 10:37 AM
C'mon guys.. he's our first round pick. His name is M-E-A-C-H-E-M. ;)

Here's a quote from Alleman that I just LOVE:

Alleman is a 6-4, 302-pound native of football hotbed of Massilon, Ohio. He was thrilled at the news that he would be a Saint and enthusiastically participated in conference call with the New Orleans media after his selection. "I am really, I don't even know the word, but I am just numb. I am coming down there to block for Deuce McAllister (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/playerbio.cfm?playerid=30) and Reggie Bush! Whew! I am so fired up."
"I can't wait to get there!" he said.

Flyboy
04-29-2007, 10:39 AM

Well, then. That was an odd selection.

Sveen
04-29-2007, 10:39 AM
With the 107th overall we took Antonio Pittman, RB, Ohio State. Very disappointing if you ask me!

GeauxSaints
04-29-2007, 10:42 AM
what are we doing?

LSU Man
04-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Antonio Pittman?!?!?! What was the reasoning for this?

Sveen
04-29-2007, 10:44 AM
I have no idea. Why not use the pick to get Ben Patrick or Ryan McBean?

Flyboy
04-29-2007, 10:45 AM
It's just... a strange and odd pick when we have other needs available. Granted, some could say he was the BPA but... urm.. yeah.

Flyboy
04-29-2007, 10:48 AM
The only thing I can think of is Pittman is going to be groom to be Deuce's replacement if we ever have to trade or release him. Only thing that makes sense to me.

GeauxSaints
04-29-2007, 10:57 AM
The Saints traded a fourth round pick (#123) and a fifth round pick (#163) in exchange for the 107th selection.

gave up a lot to get him

Sveen
04-29-2007, 11:02 AM
... and I don't like it. Why not Patrick, Blades, McBride or DeOssie?

Auron
04-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Yeah very questionable selection with Pittman, I don't understand it much at all.

GeauxSaints
04-29-2007, 11:27 AM
siler or patrick with 125

Sveen
04-29-2007, 11:37 AM
Sadly it didn't happen. Jermon Bushrod, OT, Towson is the pick.

Auron
04-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Jermon Bushrod, OT Townson.

Prospect Profile (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/bushrod_jermon)
After the success the New Orleans Saints had in unearthing Jahri Evans (Indiana, Pa.) to play on their playoff-bound offensive line in 2006, professional scouts are in agreement that Bushrod could have the same success as Evans at the next level.

The four-year starter has explosive quickness off the snap and the long reach to keep defenders at bay. He developed into an efficient trap blocker and his quickness could see him shift from left tackle to the right side, or possibly to guard, to take advantage of his pulling skills.

Looks like the team feels Offensive line depth is a huge need right now. My best guess for the Pittman pick is that they are looking for a replacement for Stecker, and possibly a special teams/kick returner contributor.

GeauxSaints
04-29-2007, 12:01 PM
i like Towson... maybe siler or patrick with 145

GeauxSaints
04-29-2007, 12:03 PM
i would have never thought that crosby would have fallen this far. had we not gotten mare i would have said ge would have been a good pick. also, alexander from Ok

Flyboy
04-29-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm praying for Rufus Alexander. Please, please, please.

GeauxSaints
04-29-2007, 12:15 PM
siler, patrick, and alexander all still avaiable

Auron
04-29-2007, 12:15 PM
i like Towson... maybe siler or patrick with 145

Well at least he has an awesome name.. I can't wait to get a Bushrod jersey. :D

seriously he was a very coveted O-line prospect in the middle rounds, he has good footwork. I can't fault the team for building the Offensive line, you can never have enough solid O-linemen. I just don't know if it should be at the expense of neglecting the Defense.

I really hope we can atleast come away with a project LB or DT prospect by the end of the draft.

GeauxSaints
04-29-2007, 12:17 PM
i think brees hurting his elbow, may have factored into us going after some of these lineman

Sveen
04-29-2007, 12:20 PM
David Jones? Another CB. What is happening here. There are a lot of good LB's left and we are passing on them again and again.

GeauxSaints
04-29-2007, 12:22 PM
David Jones
CB | (5'11", 190, 4.49)

i cant believe no LB's

GeauxSaints
04-29-2007, 12:23 PM
maybe at 220

Auron
04-29-2007, 12:23 PM
David Jones, CB Wingate.

David Jones - Profile (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/jones_david)
One of the top cover cornerbacks in the small college ranks, Jones added to his resume as a senior when he started taking snaps on offense with the receiving unit. Known for his natural hands, he was a great playmaker for the Bulldogs.In 40 games at Wingate, he intercepted 15 passes, returning three for touchdowns, and deflected 28 other throws. Both of his receptions in 2006 were turned into touchdowns.

Playing both sides of the ball is nothing new to Jones. At Greenville High School, he was an all-area defensive back who also competed as a receiver. He also handled return duties and picked off 10 passes during his prep career.

Sounds like a ballhawking CB. If the coaching staff can develop him he could be a bigtime playmaker at Corner.

Sveen
04-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Sean Payton is coming on NFL Network in just a bit

GeauxSaints
04-29-2007, 12:29 PM
they sound good, but we may be going a bit overboard on the small school selections

Flyboy
04-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Sean Payton is coming on NFL Network in just a bit

Could you summarize it for those without access to NFLN?

Sveen
04-29-2007, 12:59 PM
He basically just joked around with Jesse Palmer about him being on The Bachelor (?) or something and talked a little about Robert Meachem, Antonio Pittman and the upcoming 7th round pick. The NFLN guys told him the pressure is on to find another Marques Colston :)

Auron
04-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Could you summarize it for those without access to NFLN?

Talked about Meachem.. loves what he brings to the table speed, and athleticism.

Joke with Jesse Palmer, Palmer questioned the draft picks Payton said instead watching highlight reels he should evaluate talent.

Said the are starting over with everything, you have to approach the new season that way, you have to work hard. The players can't wait for mini camps.

Saints Dome Patrol
04-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Well as the long (and I do mean, LONG) NFL Draft is coming to a close, I would like to check in and reflect on our selections so far... I'll probably give more write-ups later after all my school stuff is finished. I've only got one week left, but it's going to be hellacious.

But I digress.

Day One:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2006-09/25303912.jpg
First round (at 27): Robert Meachem, wide receiver, University of Tennessee
My selection: Chris Houston, cornerback, University of Arkansas
Saints forum selection: Chris Houston, cornerback, University of Arkansas

I really didn't think like this pick initally at all. I felt that the Saints could have selected CB Chris Houston (the fans' and my choice for this pick), TE Greg Olsen or LB Paul Posluszny with this selection. The good side of this pick is we now have a down-field threat to pair with WR Marques Colston. This might be the end of Devery Henderson in the Big Easy, but if not, we have a solid corps of receivers with Colston, now Meachem, Henderson and both Terrence Copper and David Patten. Quite a set of wide outs, no doubt, but in the end, if Posluszny becomes a break-out star and Meachem goes the way of ANOTHER UT receiver *coughDonte'Stallworthcough*, we might have gotten burned here. All in all, solid selection, but not who I wanted.

Second round (at 54): traded to Detroit for third and fifth round selections
My selection: Quinn Pitcock, defensive tackle, Ohio State University
Saints forum selection: Quinn Pitcock, defensive tackle, Ohio State University

Not sold on the trade, especially with big name talent still left on the board.

But what do I know? :confused:

http://www.jmc.kent.edu/kpa/clip_contest/0609_september_clips/content/bin/images/large/september_13.jpg
Third round [from Detroit] (at 66): Usama Young, cornerback, Kent State University
(note: since this selection was acquired by trade, I'll post my and the forum's selection with our second third rounder...)

I really don't know enough about this guy. However, even with the Jason David signing, I wasn't sold on all our secondary needs being over. The Saints still needed some help, and I feel that Young could be the ticket. Of course, if the Saints would have chosen Houston in the first, this wouldn't be the pick here. Young seems to be a decent pickup, and it does help add depth to a shaky position.

http://www.16bit.com/toypics/ghostbusters/marshmallow/front.jpg
(yeah, I know, it’s not him, but how could I resist…?)
Third round (at 88) : Andy Alleman, offensive guard, University of Akron
My selection: H.B. Blades, linebacker, University of Pittsburgh
Saints forum selection: H.B. Blades, linebacker, University of Pittsburgh

Now, here’s someone that I really like. I think that Alleman has the potential to be a solid starter for the Saints. We would probably slide Jahri Evans from the right to the left side to pair him with Pro Bowler Jammal Brown and slot Alleman on the right side with Jon Stinchcomb. Unfortunately, this might be the end of Jamar Nesbit in the Black and Gold, either now or at the end of the season, but I think Alleman can step in and succeed at the pro level.

Whew!

I think I’ll go back to my TV and take a break from typing… I’ll put more on the Day Two selections and my overall post-Draft grade later today!

TigerBait45
04-29-2007, 03:30 PM
This has been a pretty weak draft for us.

Meachem was a pretty bad pick, even if we did need a WR. Poz was still on the board, as was Chris Houston and Greg Olsen. I was really hoping for Poz here, or maybe Olsen.

Sveen
04-29-2007, 03:45 PM
We just took Marvin Mitchell, ILB, Tennessee in the 7th round.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Just looking at what could have been in this draft makes me sick.

In my opinion, this is the best draft that we could have had:

1.27 - Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State
3.66 - Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno State
3.88 - Quinn Pitcock, DT, Ohio State
4.107 - Doug Free, OT, Northern Illinois
4.125 - Josh Beekman, OG, Boston College
5.145 - Ben Patrick, TE, Delaware
7.220 - Chris Leak, QB, Florida

I guess I'm going to have to keep trust in Mickey and Sean, but this really seemed like a poor draft overall. Maybe reached on too many small school guys, and definitely did not address the defense enough.

Auron
04-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Marvin Mitchell, ILB Tennessee.

He was Scott's 11th ranked MLB, we might have gotten a steal. At the least I think he can contribute on special teams.

Has very good size and bulk. Is strong and powerful. Active and aggressive with a good motor. Reliable tackler and a big hitter. Stout at the point. Excellent run stopper. Plays with a nasty demeanor. Really emerged in '06. May have upside.

wonder what UDFAs we'll bring.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Marvin Mitchell, ILB Tennessee.

He was Scott's 11th ranked MLB, we might have gotten a steal. At the least I think he can contribute on special teams.

wonder what UDFAs we'll bring.

He won't even make the team if Scott's analysis is correct. Some of his weaknesses (according to Scott) are:
- below average speed
- not athletic
- not very instinctive
- subpar in coverage
- questionable work ethic
- character issues

Doesn't sound like much of a steal to me.

Auron
04-29-2007, 04:16 PM
He won't even make the team if Scott's analysis is correct. Some of his weaknesses (according to Scott) are:
- below average speed
- not athletic
- not very instinctive
- subpar in coverage
- questionable work ethic
- character issues

Doesn't sound like much of a steal to me.
Could be a reserve LB, 2 down thumper similar to Danny Clark. I've read about the character issues but I think they did their research on him or else they would've passed.

there was probably a few other guys to take a late round flyer on but atleast they Drafted some front 7 help.

Saints67
04-29-2007, 05:02 PM
here is PFW's take on Mitchell....

'Tennessee ILB Marvin Mitchell gives the Saints a lot of size inside at a position where they want to get better. He is an instinctive, short-area plugger who does not have great speed to get outside the tackle box, but can clog up the middle, play off blocks and make plays tackle to tackle.'

http://profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL...ound7Picks.htm

sounds good, and if his charcter problems were that bad....Payton would of passed on him...easily.

Auron
04-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Obviously he won't make a Colston type impact, let's face it we're not going to be able to find Colstons in the 7th round every year.

Maybe he can surprise and make the team and contribute, if he makes some sort of impact I think it'll be a success for a 7th rounder.

Overall it's easy to criticize the Draft right now, we did pass over some highly rated players in later rounds. However it's tough to grade a Draft class a few hours after the Draft, we have to see how the players fare on the field before we can draw conclusions. A lot of people were upset with last years Draft after the first round as well, so I'm going to reserve judgment on this class until I see them on the field.

Sveen
04-29-2007, 06:54 PM
The 2007 NFL Draft is over and the UDFA negotiation/signings probably have already started.

As a conclusion to the Draft here are the Saints' selections.

#27 Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee
#66 Usama Young, CB, Kent State
#88 Andy Alleman, OG, Akron
#107 Antonio Pittman, RB, Ohio State
#125 Jermon Bushrod, OT, Towson
#145 David Jones, CB, Wingate
#220 Marvin Mitchell, ILB, Tennessee

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3435

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Overall it's easy to criticize the Draft right now, we did pass over some highly rated players in later rounds. However it's tough to grade a Draft class a few hours after the Draft, we have to see how the players fare on the field before we can draw conclusions. A lot of people were upset with last years Draft after the first round as well, so I'm going to reserve judgment on this class until I see them on the field.

I actually was really happy with last year's draft. Obviously I was thrilled with Reggie Bush, but I was one of the (I'm guessing) few who also loved the rest of the draft. I thought Roman Harper, much like his Alabama teammate Demeco Ryans, was an underrated defensive leader who overachieved and got the absolute most out of his just average athletic ability. I thought Jahri Evans and Marques Colston were both nice sleepers, although there was no way to know that they'd ever be this good, especially this early. I loved Mike Hass, who I thought would be a very solid #2 possession WR (I'm still sad that we didn't keep him around). I liked OT Zach Strief as an underrated, hard working guy with a lot of experience in a major conference, and saw him as a very good backup -- same goes for DE Rob Ninkovich. I thought the Saints had a very good draft last year and that they were unfairly criticized by a lot of people, including Scott.

However, this year's draft was pretty sub par; borderline terrible, considering the players available that we could have picked at each spot. I had warmed up to the thought of taking a WR in the first, but ONLY if guys like Poz and Houston were off the board, which they were not. Poz would have been excellent for our defense. I'm OK with Usama, but he needs just as much developing (possibly more) than the guy I thought we should have drafted, the equally physically talented (with better size) Marcus McCauley. I'm a little baffled by our choice of Usama Young over McCauley. Alleman should replace Jamar Nesbit sooner than later, but Quinn Pitcock would have been excellent value as well as a big need position with that pick. I like David Jones a lot in the fifth, but our CB corps is suddenly pretty crowded -- I expect Jason Craft will get cut, but is Jones really better for us than Craft right now? It's an okay pick, but I wish we would have gone DT instead. Mitchell, although he's only a 7th round pick, DOES have character issues and I can't believe Payton drafted him -- I'd be willing to bet he's cut before opening day.

The only pick I really LOVED was Bushrod. He's got all the tools to develop into a very good OT. His skillset might actually make him very well suited to play LT, which would allow us to move Brown back to RT when Stinchcomb is gone in 2 years. 1 out of 7 (IMO) is pretty bad.

I sure hope all these picks prove me wrong. If this group turns out as good as last year's, I will never second guess Payton and Loomis again.

Auron
04-29-2007, 08:02 PM
I share your concerns, and in the end this Draft will be the ultimate test for the coaching staff and their ability to develop players. They felt confident enough to take the small school guys with potential and develop them.

Are there some things I would've changed? Definitely, but I'm not a scout and don't do nearly as much research as the pro scouts do.

I guess now it just becomes a waiting game. In the end though I think we did upgrade the Offensive line significantly and we should be reaping the dividends of it in a few years, and we added athletic youthful CBs as well that can learn for a while.

If Poz turns out to be a stud LB, or Houston turns out to be a premier CB. Then yes I will have big time regrets, but right now no one has proven anything. In the end I think the coaches chose to Draft for the future, rather than come away with immediate impact talents as they felt the current roster was sufficient enough with the Free Agency upgrades. I don't quite agree, but the FO hasn't done anything to make me think they've set the franchise back yet. I wouldn't rule out Meachem having a big time impact either, WRs coach Curtis Johnson sounded very high on him in interviews.

Auron
04-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Don't know if this will make anyone feel better but our 2 CB draftees were on SI's Hidden gem watch.

SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/specials/draft/2007/04/20/pauline/index.html?eref=si_nfl)
• Usama Young/CB/Kent State: An all-Conference pick at Kent State last season, Young was snubbed by the major postseason games and did not receive an invite to the combine. Yet almost two dozen teams showed up at his pro day to watch the 196-pound Young run 4.4 seconds in the 40. Since then Young has visited 11 franchises and will work out for four other teams next week. Given a free-agent grade at the start of the year, Young could slide into the draft's first day.

• David Jones/CB/Wingate: Playing only two seasons of high school football, Jones has recently attracted a lot of attention from the NFL. His playing skills are only surpassed by his character, as scouts rave about his work ethic and dedication. Four teams brought Jones in for a visit. He is likely to be drafted in the middle rounds.

and Drafted 2 second day guys that Gil Brandt thought were in the top 10 of players not Drafted on Day 1.
NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10156966)
Here are 12 players from my top 100 who didn't get taken on Day 1:

* Antonio Pittman, RB, Ohio State (47)
* Tanard Jackson, CB, Syracuse (60)
* Doug Free, OT, Northern Illinois (77)
* Paul Soliai, DT, Utah (78)
* Antonio Johnson, DT, Mississippi State (80)
* Josh Beekman, G, Boston College (82)
* David Clowney, WR, Virginia Tech (88)
* Leroy Harris, C, North Carolina State (89)
* Jay Moore, DE, Nebraska (90)
* Michael Coe, CB, Alabama State (95)
* Jermon Bushrod, OT, Towson (96)
* Allen Barbre, OT, Missouri Southern (100)

diabsoule
04-29-2007, 09:01 PM
I'll give my write-up about the draft later but I'll mention two things: 1) I am NOT happy with the players we selected and 2) we went a little too heavy on the small school prospects.

diabsoule
04-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Supposedly the Saints signed their first UDFA in Pittsburgh Panther QB Tyler Palko. If this is true, I would absolutely love it.

Stoopid512
04-29-2007, 11:33 PM
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with diabsoule...way too heavy on the small schools. I would also like to state that we went WAY too heavy on offense. I thought that we would be heavy on defense. The Pittman pick was a shock...I thought that we would be moving up for a quality Lb.

I'll give a C- on our draft. We passed on a lot of position players that could have contributed immediately in improving our defense.

diabsoule
04-30-2007, 01:37 AM
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with diabsoule...way too heavy on the small schools. I would also like to state that we went WAY too heavy on offense. I thought that we would be heavy on defense. The Pittman pick was a shock...I thought that we would be moving up for a quality Lb.

I'll give a C- on our draft. We passed on a lot of position players that could have contributed immediately in improving our defense.

Preach on, brotha man!

Modano
04-30-2007, 03:01 AM
Any Chance Meachem will start? With Brees accuracy, his combination of size and speed could be deadly.

Auron
04-30-2007, 05:09 AM
Any Chance Meachem will start? With Brees accuracy, his combination of size and speed could be deadly.

I think that's exactly why he was taken, if he wasn't going to start and be the #2 WR I don't think we would've used our 1st rounder on him.

I don't know if he'll start opening day, he'll still have to win the job in camp and prove he's ready to start like Colston did last year but I'd say there's a good chance he starts on opening day.

Auron
04-30-2007, 05:56 AM
Quotes from the newest Saints.

Jermon Bushrod - Link (http://media.www.thetowerlight.com/media/storage/paper957/news/2007/04/30/Sports/Saints.Select.Bushrod.In.Draft-2887560-page2.shtml)
It's awesome," Bushrod said. "It's going to be an extreme pleasure to block for a guy like Drew Brees and open up holes for a guy like Reggie Bush. I'm definitely excited."

"I hope it answers some questions for guys who have professional aspirations and don't get recruited by big-time schools," Bushrod said. "If I work hard enough, I'll have a job in the National Football League for a while," Bushrod said. "That's going to stay in my mind every single day."

Andy Alleman - Link (http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/sports/17156260.htm)
Alleman was equally excited about his new team, and the fact the MAC was heard from loud and clear in the draft.

"That's awesome," he said. "I think it just goes to show there's talent in the MAC. Some guys get overlooked [like Young], and guys like me who switch positions can still emerge as talents. I think I'm in a great situation with an up and coming team."

One reporter was asking me about moving from defense to offense in college and all kinds of other stuff and I was like, `None of that matters. I don't care. I'm going to be playing with Deuce McAllister and Reggie Bush. I'm ready to play some football. Let's go, man.' I was fired up. I still am.

Robert Meachem - Link (http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070429/SPORTS/704290360/1006) & Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=070429_238_B1_hExBT66480&breadcrumb=Highschool)
"Every coach who had contact with him said he was an A-plus character guy," Loomis added. "He impressed us at the combine with his interview and we brought him here to interview with us and he was very impressive."

Beverly Meachem says her son's recently established Follow Your Dreams Foundation can provide opportunities not only for young Tulsans, but also for New Orleans children who were affected by Hurricane Katrina."

"I saw the New Orleans number pop up on my phone, and I knew," Meachem said during a teleconference at the New Orleans Saints' team headquarters. "I'm just so excited, this has been really emotional."

Sveen
04-30-2007, 07:05 AM
Anyone know which numbers our selections will wear? :)

Flyboy
04-30-2007, 10:22 AM
We'll know by training camp if Meachem will start or not in my opinion. And, as much as people are crapping on our draft class right now.. it's easy to do that right now. Maybe in the middle of the season or late in the season we can go back and discuss how badly we drafted, but for right now I'm just going to wait and see how it turns out. Who knows, we could have another stellar class like last year.

TigerBait45
04-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Meachem's got great potential. I think if he works hard he can be a really good receiver, and just the compliment to Colston that we need.

I've kinda warmed up to the pick, but man Poz would've looked great in a Saints jersey.

diabsoule
04-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Meachem's got great potential. I think if he works hard he can be a really good receiver, and just the compliment to Colston that we need.

I've kinda warmed up to the pick, but man Poz would've looked great in a Saints jersey.

I agree that Meachem could become an excellent player but I wanted Poz and thought he'd be an excellent addition to our defense.

Here's hoping for Dan Connor or James Laurenitas next year.

Auron
04-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Interview with Sean Payton that someone at WDZ (http://whodatzone.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21375#) posted. He talks about the Draft class. He answers questions about the Pittman pick, and small schoolers.

Opening Statement And Day Two Recap: With Antonio Pittman, we were looking at the board last night and you're trying to look at your best graded players. I think that's something you always try to do, especially as you go into the second day. He's someone that has been a consistent performer who has been durable. He was a guy that stood out a little bit. We moved up a little to get him.

Jermon Bushrod is a small school player who is a tackle right now and could potentially play guard. He played tackle and we'll bring him in as a tackle. In the case of these next two players (Bushrod and David Jones), we have worked these guys out recently. Doug Marrone and Rick Reiprish went to Bushrod's workout back at Towson. He's someone who you see athleticism in and has some upside. We felt that he had value at that time in the draft and we went ahead and made that decision.

In David Jones' case at Wingate, when we went to work out Usama Young at Kent State, we had also worked out David. He is another smaller school player with a lot of solid measurables and production. We're currently organizing the busy time that occurs right after this draft in acquiring free agents as well. It gets crazy here in the next couple hours as you go from a draft mode to a recruiting mode.

Q: Where do you see Pittman falling in a puzzle that includes Reggie Bush and Deuce McAllister at running back?

A: You can't have enough of these runners. We'll figure out his role down the road. More importantly, we just felt that he was a back that you looked at from a value standpoint, you study where you have the magnets a little higher. He was one of those players. Well sort through all that. Right now obviously we have a great deal of confidence in Deuce and in what he brings to the table and the same thing with Reggie. He's a young back in day two that appealed to us and nothing more than that.

Q: Doesn't this make him a good candidate to make the team since you usually only keep three running backs on the roster?

A: There's no set formula for how many halfbacks you keep. We'll let the competition play out. I'm sure he's looking to come in and make a favorable impression and certainly he's competing for a spot as all these guys are. I think it's important to pay attention to find good football players rather than say we're going out to get the defensive tackle we need. We're trying to find guys that we feel have a chance to make the team. In his case, that was the reason for the selection. We're excited to have him.

Q: Is there a reason why Pittman lasted to the second day?

A: You're asking what you think his weaknesses are. I think that a lot of it is in the eye of the beholder in terms of what teams are looking for. In that position, there was a few of them taken. I think (Michael) Bush from Louisville went fairly soon before him and all of a sudden a couple of guys fall off the board. Whether it was that people felt like he played with a real good surrounding cast and that he was a product of the offense, I'm not certain. We try to evaluate the player, go by what we see and then put a grade with that evaluation, starting with the area scout, going to Rick Mueller and Rick Reiprish and then the position coaches here. Myself and Mickey (Loomis) look at the player. You try to come up with what you think the player is and why a player like that went to round four. It's a good question. I don't know specifically how to answer it other than we were glad he was still there when we picked. When you get into that second day, you target a few guys. You hope maybe you move up. If those guys that you target aren't available, maybe you back up a little bit. We did that a year ago in round four if you recall when we actually targeted a tight end that Houston selected and when that took place, we moved back a little bit with Philadelphia and acquired Hollis Thomas. Then, we were able to select Jahri Evans. There's no science to it, you're just trying to identify some guys that you feel like in that room, you're excited to bring into that organization and that you feel are going to represent this team well and have a chance of making the team. Hopefully these guys take advantage of that opportunity. They're two weekends away from starting their competition and evaluation. He's a player that does have productivity at a high level of play in a good offense. We're excited to have him.

Q: What did you have him graded at?

A: I'm not going to get into the specific grade, but it would have been a lot harder for us to maybe take a first day running back because there were a number of guys rated at equal or higher value. We probably wouldn't have been in the market to take a running back. When the first day ended and you looked at how they were stacked. he along with a couple of other players were sitting above the pack. That was the reason for the selection.

Q: Does Pittman return kickoffs?

A: I don't know that it was the reason for the selection. He'll need to be able to contribute in some way, shape or form on special teams. I don' know if returning kickoffs will be something that we envision him doing. We'll see.

Q: Did you envision selecting a running back today for depth purposes?

A: I think it's one of those positions where you have to be careful that you don't get caught short. It's a tough position to play in our league. It's tough because it's a long season. Even for the guys that are bigger in stature, it's 16 regular season games and the preseason. It was a matter that we saw a guy that we had put a pretty good grade on that we felt would give us depth at the position. We'll see how he fits. When we drafted him today a little while ago, it wasn't like we had a whole role for him spelled out in the offense. It was us drafting a guy that we think is a hard worker who wants to come in and compete for a position on the team.

Q: Did the drafting of players from smaller schools such as Hofstra and Bloomsburg last year make it easier to draft some of your selections from smaller schools this year?

A: I think that when you draft a smaller school player you don't downgrade them, but you look at the level of competition and say that's a disadvantage for that player because he's not playing an SEC schedule, Big Ten or Pac-10 schedule. You want to see that player excel at that level and play real well. You try to factor that in to some degree and yet you're still evaluating the player himself. In Jermon Bushrod's case, we're looking at him specifically, grading his athleticism. How tough is he? What's his production like? Do we feel like he can transition into our offense? He's a guy that we'll begin developing and begin working with. I think really when we drafted Jahri last year and a lot of those guys in the second day such as (Marques) Colston and Zach Strief were not drafted to come in and become starters. We drafted them to come in and develop them. Hopefully you are able to hit on some of those players and last year we were able to hit on a few of them. Jahri ended up starting every game for us, Colston the same way with the exception of a few games because of injury and Strief played when we needed him at Tampa. I think you look to find football players who can compete to make your club and if you're able to get production out of them in their rookie season, all the better.

Q: Is the fourth round of the draft usually the cutoff towards drafting while looking at a need?

A: I think what you're hoping to find is a grade and a need. That's what you're looking to find. When you're able to match that you feel good about your selection and fortunately for us, when the draft started yesterday, there were a handful of areas that we thought that we might be able to address in this draft. We haven't gotten them all. We move forward and you hope you're drafting the best football players at those selection spots and not just grabbing players you think you need. When the draft started in the first round, I don't know that we would have said receiver is the direction we were planning to head. In Robert's (Meachem) as a player, as well as a couple of other players that we put in a cloud, and said these are guys we would potentially move up for. Robert fell to us at 27. That selection was a pretty easy one to make and we were excited to make it.

Q: Did the success of Colston and Evans last year make it easier for you to feel good about drafting players from smaller schools?

A: I think that you have to be careful that you're not trying to create or duplicate something. Each case is different. I think we try to take an unbiased look at these guys and ask if they fit what we're looking for and if they have the character we're looking for. Are they tough? Are their work habits what we're looking for? Do they have the traits and athleticism at the position that we're looking for? Whether it's at Michigan or at Wingate, you're really trying to evaluate specifically the level of the player, but the level of competition does have to come in and lean towards the larger school player because of who he's facing. You're looking for the smaller school player to play at a high level more consistently because of who he's going against. You factor that in. That's where it's at. These guys become magnets after you've evaluated them. You understand that when they're at a smaller school, you're going to expect more from them on film than if they're from a big school. Obviously you're looking for production regardless of who you're grading. It worked out this way and it worked out that some of these players we drafted today and yesterday were from smaller schools. I think the Wingate and Towson players are from smaller schools than even the guys we drafted from the MAC Conference yesterday. That learning curve will be steep for these guys. The quicker they get in here and get adjusted, the better off they'll be.

Q: What's the balance from trying to pick the best available player and factoring in character?

A: The guys that have the character issues that concern us, we put a color on them (on our draft board), and really we're not taking them. If a guy has issues in round two or round one but he's still there in round four, he still has those same issues that are going to hurt the locker room and hurt the team. There's still a level of responsibility that we feel as an organization we owe to our players in that locker room to bring in the right guys that will put the team first, that want to win, that want to represent this organization and this city the right way.

That being said, you try to research as best you can those character issues in determining whether he's an off the board player or whether it's an isolated incident. There are cases where they are isolated incidents where you look at him and say, 'I think he's a good kid. I think that he made a mistake and I think that he'll fit in just fine.' That's part of the evaluation process and it's not easy.

Q: You didn't work out Pittman individually other than at the combine?

A: There wasn't any private additional workout. He was a little bit more of a high-profile player from the standpoint of the program he was at and the Combine. So, unlike a few of these guys he was a guy we spent time watching, graded, and then moved on.

Q: What intrigued you about David Jones and did you know where Wingate was before today?

A: He's a guy that has some measurable that we felt were intriguing. He ran well; he tested well; and in the workout last week - when we came back and finished that workout and the Kent State workout, we felt like we had a couple of smaller school players who had size and athleticism that played well on tape and felt like maybe in the second day - or late in the first day in Usama's case - that we'd have someone there. Fortunately for us, we were able to see them in person and they ended up in a position for us to select them. You don't read as much about these guys or hear as much about these guys, but he's another cornerback who will have a chance to compete and that's all we tell them. 'You have a chance to compete and make the team,' and I think these players understand that.

These are guys that we targeted as guys that we thought had a chance after that first group of corners went, you start getting into your second tier. These guys were in that clump.

Q: You mentioned defensive tackle as a need. Was the field just too thin when the time came for you to pick?

A: Obviously the grade didn't match the round. There are a number of positions you'd like to become younger at, but we weren't just going to go look for a defensive tackle and draft one to fill that. So you keep going and you keep moving.

Q: Did you learn anything from last year that helped you with your draft process in your second year?

A: I don't know how much we changed. Certainly there are some things that might be a little different. The biggest change was where we were selecting and how that changes the dynamics of the draft. It really is much different - obviously with the first pick more than anything else. You spend a little more time on that first round than you might if you're picking earlier, but the process was very similar and we've still got some time to go here as we finish up. Last year we found our punter at the end of the draft, so this is an important part - as important a part of the weekend as yesterday's first round because there are a number of these players. I can think of Hollis Thomas back in Philadelphia as a guy that signed, not even on Sunday night but Wednesday night after the draft. David Patten received his first opportunity when it came after no one called him. There are a number of players who for whatever reason have kind of fallen through the cracks that end up making rosters as free agents. Tony Romo was a guy in Dallas that we signed after the draft. So I think you try to do your homework as best as possible and look at some of the characteristics that stand out; there may be some tie to a coach or something that leads you towards a player. I can think of a handful of guys and I think that's important about today, whether it's a seventh round pick or you're recruiting them afterwards as a free agent, we'll be busy doing that for quite a while today.

Q: Were you concerned that teams would play you differently if you didn't get a guy like Meachem who could hurt them over the top?

A: I didn't feel like the selection of Meachem was something that we did because defenses were going to change against us next year. I felt like the selection of Meachem really had to with us thinking, 'Man, this guy's still here and he's a guy that we didn't like - we really liked - at receiver.' Devery gave us a ton of speed and gave us a lot of big plays - he led the league in yards per reception a year ago. I'm biased toward big receivers - Marques Colston has good size and speed, Devery is the same way, and Meachem has good size as well. He was a player that we felt with our grades was a first mid-first round pick that we felt at 27 we had him and a few other players that might be available at 27. With him being available, I don't think there was one bit of hesitation or discussion - it was something that was clearly the direction we were going to go in at that time. It was about a good football player that we were ready to take.

Q: Of the two cornerbacks that you've drafted, is there anybody on the team or anyone you've coached that they remind you of?

A: That's a good question. I don't know that I could answer it right now. I'd like to see these guys go through a couple workouts and then you might be able to draw an analogy - I like doing that, though.

Usama's got real good size and tested real well. In Jones' case, I think he provides pretty good stature. I like the fact that they've got good size and I think they will be two young, hungry guys who come in here and want to work and make the club. We'll have a chance to see them at the rookie camp in two weekends.

Q: Do these cornerbacks fit into your man-to-man cover scheme?

A: We run a lot of man. I was reading all this stuff about our man coverage the other day and we play a lot of zone as well. We run a lot of single-safety zone. We don' just sit in one coverage; we play some man principles, but we also play some zone principles and Gary (Gibbs) does a good job of mixing up the coverages. We're not just going to sit in one coverage and I don't know that it would be accurate to say that these guys fit our man coverage scheme because I don't know that you say that we're a man coverage defense.

That being said, when you're evaluating the position you ask, 'How do they fit in man? How do they fit in zone? Can they force the run? Are they good tacklers? Can they make plays?' Those are the things you try to look at and hopefully in these guys we've got some guys that are anxious to compete.

Q: Between the seventh round pick and the free agents, do you expect to bring in a quarterback?

A: We'll see. There are a couple of guys left in this draft that we have decent grades on. I wouldn't count that out and yet we'll have to see how that unfolds. If we're not able to, I'm not going to be real frustrated with that and yet if there's a guy who we felt like we would want to develop, then that's something that we would look at, be it in free agency or in the seventh round.

Q: Looking back to a year ago today, is it hard to believe that Colston nearly went undrafted?

A: Every year there seems to be a player like that. Tom Brady was taken in the sixth round. In Marques' case, he was a big receiver at a small school that had some measurables. I've said before that if we knew then what we know now, we would have selected him in day one. We were fortunate and it was to his credit that he came in... If you guys had seen the rookie camp practice the first day, you'd have been selling your Colston stock at that point. It really wasn't until training camp that you really saw him begin to progress. At that time you saw a guy each day playing consistently well. He really made his impression in training camp. It wasn't just on the first day. If you paid attention to the tapes and the preseason games, his consistency and level of play clearly improved to the point where we had enough confidence in him that he was going to be our starter. He earned that and worked hard to get to that position. That transition to that point is longer for some players than others and it's hard to measure that. If you had a way to where you could see how each of these players is going to transition into our league... that's part of the evaluation and it's not a science either. There's going to be guys that were taken in this first round, in those first 15-20 picks, that never transition. Those are the things that make this thing interesting and exciting.

Q: Troy Smith was just drafted. Was he one of the quarterbacks you were looking at?

A: I think he's a good player. He's someone who obviously had a great college career and played in a real good conference. We're excited that he was drafted for them certainly.

Q: Jahri Evans was a big-time high school player but injuries kept him at a smaller college. Do the guys you've drafted from small schools today have similar stories?

A: Each guy has a different story and some guys don't really develop or mature until later in their careers. The process we're going through now is somewhat similar to the process that the major colleges go through - they try to do their best to hit on the high school players and yet they're not always correct.

As a coach who's spent 10 years coaching in college, there are a number of players who looking back who I would have changed a grade on or evaluated differently, and so it's the same process. Where they end up sometimes is different, but we'll see.

Auron
04-30-2007, 02:50 PM
I agree that Meachem could become an excellent player but I wanted Poz and thought he'd be an excellent addition to our defense.

Here's hoping for Dan Connor or James Laurenitas next year.

Well judging by Payton and Loomis' comments I think the reason they chose Meachem was because they had him graded out significantly better than Posluszny, Houston, and Branch. I would've loved to see a guy like Poz, or Houston but it looks like the Saints staff viewed Meachem as a significantly better value.

Link (http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070429/SPORTS/704290360/1006)
In the end, though, Saints general manager Mickey Loomis said the choice was easy:

"He was our highest-rated player on the board when we picked -- significantly," Loomis said. "To be honest, we were surprised when he was available to us at 27."

also a quote from Payton
He was a player that we felt with our grades was a first mid-first round pick that we felt at 27 we had him and a few other players that might be available at 27. With him being available, I don't think there was one bit of hesitation or discussion - it was something that was clearly the direction we were going to go in at that time. It was about a good football player that we were ready to take.

They had him graded out as a mid first type guy, and their primary strategy was to take the Best players available. So I do understand why they went in that direction.

Mr. Myogi
04-30-2007, 04:55 PM
I share your concerns, and in the end this Draft will be the ultimate test for the coaching staff and their ability to develop players. They felt confident enough to take the small school guys with potential and develop them.

Are there some things I would've changed? Definitely, but I'm not a scout and don't do nearly as much research as the pro scouts do.

I guess now it just becomes a waiting game. In the end though I think we did upgrade the Offensive line significantly and we should be reaping the dividends of it in a few years, and we added athletic youthful CBs as well that can learn for a while.

If Poz turns out to be a stud LB, or Houston turns out to be a premier CB. Then yes I will have big time regrets, but right now no one has proven anything. In the end I think the coaches chose to Draft for the future, rather than come away with immediate impact talents as they felt the current roster was sufficient enough with the Free Agency upgrades. I don't quite agree, but the FO hasn't done anything to make me think they've set the franchise back yet. I wouldn't rule out Meachem having a big time impact either, WRs coach Curtis Johnson sounded very high on him in interviews.

Do you want to transfer your Sig over to me?
Ask Meachem about Chris Houston and watch him start to tear up like a little baby. Can't beat him off the bump and run (225 - 27reps) or deep (40 - 4.32). Get Ready cause its on this year baby.

GeauxSaints
04-30-2007, 05:14 PM

I agree 100%. I dont mind a few small school selections, but we had more than any other team. I think payton likes the small school kids because they work hard and play like they have something to prove. i like the character of the guys we are getting, i think we had a huge problem with attitude for so many years.

still not sold on meachem - would have loved Poz with that selection.

In Payton we trust

GeauxSaints
04-30-2007, 05:18 PM
whats the word on the UDFAs?

i would have loved for us to bring in Leak, but he already went to Chi. who else should be on our short list

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-30-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm really warming up to the Pittman pick. He's talented and versatile enough to play Deuce OR Reggie's role in our 2-back system should either go down. I have a feeling he will see the field a fair amount, even with our RB situation. In my opinion, it was our only pick in the draft where we actually took the BPA. Pittman's really talented and can do a lot, and if there's anybody in the league who can properly utilize three talented RB's, it's Sean Payton.

Auron
04-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Ouch.. that was a bad time for the forum to turn sigs back on. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

and I'm starting to warm up to the Pittman pick as well. From reading some of Payton comments it was a very good depth pick he should be an instant upgrade over an aging Stecker. He might come in handy if either Reggie, or Deuce miss some time with an injury as RBs often get dinged up, and he should be able to make an impact on special teams whether it's returning kicks or doing something else.

dcarey20
04-30-2007, 06:43 PM
Jermon Bushrod Baby

Auron
04-30-2007, 06:44 PM
Jermon Bushrod Baby

You know it. He's going to be a beast. http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/images/smilies/rock.gif

cavsaint12
04-30-2007, 09:35 PM
WALTER THOMAS signs with Saints!!
Best part of draft so far!!

cavsaint12
04-30-2007, 09:39 PM
http://draftdaddy.com/prospects/TexasNation.cfm

cavsaint12
04-30-2007, 09:43 PM
April 25, 2007
For N.F.L. Draft, the Biggest (XXXXXXL) Sleeper
By LEE JENKINS
GALVESTON, Tex., April 21 — On the edge of the Texas Gulf is a 370-pound football player who can execute a perfect forward flip.

When he lands, the ground trembles.

The player’s name is Walter Thomas, and as he kicked his size 16 feet overhead Saturday morning, onlookers studied the sculpted giant with curiosity and awe. It was the kind of reaction Thomas usually elicits from professional football scouts.

“I feel like I’m a big secret,” Thomas said. “The secret of the draft.”

The National Football League draft, which begins Saturday, does not really have secrets anymore. Prospects are timed and tested, interviewed and investigated, over and over again. Entire dossiers are prepared for second-string players.

Thomas is as close as modern football can come to an old-fashioned sleeper. In the past two years, his only playing experience was at Northwest Mississippi Community College in Senatobia, Miss. He played in two games, both losses. Then he was arrested on a charge of conspiracy to commit robbery, according to the Tate County (Miss.) Circuit Clerk’s office, and never played college football again.

Judging by his credentials, perhaps Thomas should not be drafted. Judging by his dimensions, however, Thomas has to be drafted.

Big Walt, as he is known, is a 6-foot-5 defensive tackle who wears a size XXXXXXL jersey. He bench presses 475 pounds and squats 800 pounds. Weight lifters at the Galveston Health and Racquet Club stop their workouts to watch him.

Football teams everywhere are filled with big men, but many of them can barely move. Thomas has run the 40-yard dash in 4.9 seconds, faster than some N.F.L. tight ends. He is the rare tackle who can catch a running back from behind.

“The guy is a dadgum Russian gymnast,” said Randy Pippin, the head coach at Northwest Mississippi.

Thomas’s flexibility has become part of his lore. He does handstands and handsprings, broad jumps and cartwheels. When he gets excited, he will do a back flip.

“I never thought a body that big could flip in the air,” said Ron Holmes, who coached Thomas at Ball High School in Galveston. “I wouldn’t have believed it unless I’d seen it with my own two eyes.”

Three months ago, Thomas was little more than a novelty act. He declared for the draft as a 21-year-old junior, but unlike most underclassmen heading to the N.F.L., he had no highlight reel to send scouts and few statistics for them to analyze. The Web site nfldraftscout.com ranked him as the 74th-best defensive tackle.

“It was a different situation,” said Martin Magid, Thomas’s agent. “He was coming from the basement.”

Magid, who represents several professional football players, lobbied for Thomas to be included in a predraft all-star game called Texas vs. The Nation. When the workouts for that game began, Thomas was an afterthought. When they ended, he was an Internet phenomenon.

Draftniks found a new darling. Bloggers were breathless. Draftdaddy.com reported that Thomas was “unstoppable” and “nimble” and “drew reactions ranging from gasps to smiles to a simple shake of the head in disbelief.”

In the draft evaluation process, workouts are nearly as important as games, and Thomas is a workout wonder. He was invited to Mississippi State’s annual Pro Day and seized much of the attention, even though he did not attend Mississippi State.

N.F.L. scouts, always on the lookout for that unique blend of size and agility, were seduced by a dancing goliath. This month, Thomas was ranked as the 15th-best defensive tackle in the draft. He hopes to pattern himself after the N.F.L. tackles Ted Washington (6-5, 365 pounds) of the Cleveland Browns and Jamal Williams (6-3, 348) of the San Diego Chargers.

“He is definitely a topic of conversation right now,” said Gil Brandt, former vice president for player personnel for the Dallas Cowboys, who is now an analyst for NFL.com. “A lot of people are talking about him.”

Thomas represents the hard choice that every team faces at some point on draft day — to pick a player with supreme physical ability and a questionable past, or to go with a player who has limited talent but a proven track record.

Thomas would not be such a secret in the draft if he had not buried himself in college. He played at Oklahoma State as a freshman in 2004, but failed out of school before his sophomore season. He spent 2005 trying to regain his academic eligibility and went to Northwest Mississippi in 2006.

“People like to tell me, ‘As big as you are, you’ll always get another chance,’ ” Thomas said. “But I think I’ve used up all my chances.”

Thomas acts contrite and gentle, but his behavior can still be erratic. An interview for this story was scheduled for Friday morning in Galveston. Thomas arrived early Saturday, apologizing profusely that he confused the dates.

Thomas was accompanied by Martha Overton, a 54-year-old whom he calls his second mother. Thomas went to school with Overton’s daughter, Elizabeth, and steadily ingratiated himself in her family. Now, he appears in all of their Christmas pictures. When he leaves Martha Overton’s sight, he gives her two bearhugs.

“Walter has a lot of people who care for him very deeply,” Martha Overton said.

Thomas needs the support system, especially in the new N.F.L. Commissioner Roger Goodell recently announced a personal-conduct policy that threatens teams for repeatedly signing troublemakers. When Thomas visited the Jets, the Dolphins and the Browns, they grilled him about his arrest, he said.

He might as well have answered in rhyme. Thomas stars in a Galveston hip- hop group called Tre Side, and he recently wrote a rap about football, the mistakes he has made and his desire to correct them.

From the stereo of his first car, a Ford Expedition that he picked up Friday, Thomas blasted one of his raps. He repeats the same line in a husky baritone: “I’m tired of wasting time.”

As a prospect, Thomas is intriguing because of both his baggage and his potential. In the two games he did play last season, his numbers were mind-blowing: 16 tackles, 9 tackles for a loss and 4 sacks.

“You absolutely cannot run at him,” said Les Miles, the Louisiana State University coach, who recruited Thomas to Oklahoma State. “You have to go in another direction.”

Thomas cannot expect to be picked until the second day of the draft — rounds four through seven — but he should immediately become one of the biggest players in the league, and probably the biggest player on his new team.

Thomas has always been the largest guy in the room. In the fifth grade, he was barred from Pop Warner games in Galveston because parents felt he had an unfair advantage. By the time he entered Austin Middle School, he was pushing 300 pounds.

“He took up a whole side of the line,” said Jim Yarborough, a Galveston County judge whose son played against Austin Middle School.

More than any specific game, Yarborough remembers the first time he shook hands with Thomas. “It was like he swallowed my whole hand,” Yarborough said.

Growing up, Thomas was somewhat self-conscious about his size, so he befriended the smallest kids in school. They played a game called “Cut the Cake,” in which they found the biggest building in town and raced each other around it.

Today, Thomas still has many of the same friends, and few of them weigh more than 150 pounds. He could bench-press three of them at a time.

“That’s where I got my speed,” Thomas said. “I had to keep up with all those little guys.”

To demonstrate, Thomas took off his size 16 sneakers, slid into a white tank top and did one of his forward flips on the grass next to a beachfront apartment building. He stuck the landing. The expression on his face was part grimace and part grin.

A man watching from his apartment balcony came running. The man wore an Ohio State T-shirt and had many questions. Who is this specimen? Does he play football? Would he be interested in going to college at Ohio State?

But Thomas was already in his Expedition, driving down Seawall Boulevard, blasting music by the rapper Slim Thug, another performer who is not particularly slim.

For a few more days, Thomas can still keep himself a secret.

diabsoule
05-01-2007, 03:08 AM
So far I'm happier about our UDFA signings than I am for our actual draft.

TigerBait45
05-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Walter Thomas looks like he has unlimited potential. Hopefully he has a good work ethic and can develop the tools he has. For a man his size to have that much latent athletic ability is rare..hes got a shot to be really good.

diabsoule
05-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Walter Thomas looks like he has unlimited potential. Hopefully he has a good work ethic and can develop the tools he has. For a man his size to have that much latent athletic ability is rare..hes got a shot to be really good.

He has a great shot to be a future star but he needs to keep those character issues in check.

TigerBait45
05-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah, thats true. Payton apparently doesn't see it as that big a deal or he wouldn't have even touched this guy.

We'll see how it turns out I guess.

Auron
05-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Anyone know which numbers our selections will wear? :)

Robert Meachem will wear #85. Roster (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/roster.cfm)

other rookies:
Andy Alleman, 65
Jermon Bushrod, 74
David Jones, 30
Antonio Pittman, 24
Marvin Mitchell,50
Usama Young, 38

Flyboy
05-01-2007, 05:40 PM
24 - Antonio Pittman
25 - Reggie Bush
26 - Deuce McAllister

Ouch. :)

Sveen
05-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Thanks Auron.

T-Col
05-02-2007, 08:09 PM
A short little read on Palko from the local newspaper

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070502/SPORTS/705020338/1006

Auron
05-02-2007, 11:59 PM
I could've sworn we re-signed Fife, I forgot where I read it.

and I do hope Palko makes it as a backup, I'm pulling for him.

Auron
05-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Q & A interview with Robert Meachem, from the Saints (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3423) official website.

Reading this piece just reaffirms every good thing I already know about Meachem, high character guy, hard working wants to start learning the playbook as soon as possible, overall great person and I'm happy to see him a Saint.

Q: How long were you watching the draft to see when your name would be called?

Robert Meachem: I watched it from first to 27th. I thought my name would be called at nine with the Dolphins, at 19 with Tennessee, at 22 with Dallas and at 24 with Kansas City.

Q: Were you surprised when the announcement was made and had you had much contact with the Saints?

Meachem: I had contact with the Saints. I came down there for a visit with them.

Q: Do you know much about the Saints and their offense?

Meachem: I know they had the top offense in the league and I know they had a young receiver just like me, a young Reggie Bush, a great quarterback and a great offense.

Q: What will you bring to that offense?

Meachem: Just like Reggie Bush, yards after the catch.

Q: Do you hang your hat on that?

Meachem: Yes, I used to play running back just like him. For me, I changed over to receiver. Yards after the catch is something that is very important to me.

Q: Did you consider committing to LSU?

Meachem: Yes, I was considering going to LSU.

Q: Were your final college choices between LSU and Tennessee?

Meachem: Yes.

Q: What was the deciding factor there?

Meachem: Tennessee was called "Wide Receiver U"

Q: Are you ready to pick up the slack that Joe Horn left in every area?

Meachem: I'm ready to pick it up tomorrow if I can.

Q: Will you be as flashy and as entertaining as Joe was?

Meachem: I'll do my best.

Q: Did you watch the Saints in particular at all?

Meachem: A lot of people got excited by their offense. I watched a lot of their games. For me, watching them was real exciting because I got to see how powerful their offense really was.

Q: What NFL team did you grow up rooting for?

Meachem: I grew up rooting for Jerry Rice and Barry Sanders, wherever they played.

Q: You mentioned two of the classiest guys in the league and the importance of character. Do you think that is a plus mark for you?

Meachem: That is a plus mark. I haven't been in any trouble. I haven't had any off-field issues. That's a big plus for me.

Q: Was there something that caused your numbers to sprout last year or was it a matter of opportunity?

Meachem: In the 2004 and 2005 seasons, we rotated receivers. In 2006, we didn't rotate. Whoever started, played. For me, the year before, we got our (wide receivers) coach fired and I was real disappointed he had to leave. I felt like I wanted to step up and had to step up to make the plays that had to be made.

Q: What was the name of the coach that was fired?

Meachem: Pat Washington.

Q: Did you have any contact with the Saints yesterday and any inkling that they might choose you?

Meachem: Not until they called. That Louisiana number popped up. I looked up at the screen and it said New Orleans. I figured it was time to go.

Q: Who called you?

Meachem: The personnel guys, the head coach, general manager and wide receivers coach.

Q: What is your impression of Sean Payton?

Meachem: He's a real exciting and emotional guy who loves the players and loves to help them on and off the field as well.

Q: Have you gotten a call from Drew Brees yet?

Meachem: Not yet.

Q: Have you ever met Donte' Stallworth?

Meachem: Yes, I've met Donte'.

Q: Did you come a couple of years after he left?

Meachem: Yes.

Q: Can you discuss how you are looking forward to playing with Drew Brees?

Meachem: It's an honor to play with Drew Brees. He's a smart quarterback who's not going to throw a ball that gets you killed. He's a smart guy. Playing in this offense is a dream for people to play for.

Q: Can you discuss your downfield blocking abilities, as well as your ability to play hurt?

Meachem: For me, downfield blocking is a big part of my game. Why should Reggie Bush and Deuce McAllister take a shot they shouldn’t have to take? Growing up on a farm, you learn how to play hurt and not show you’re pain. If you’re breathing and can play, you’re going to play.

Q: Can you discuss when you will come to New Orleans are and what your plans to workout with the team are based on what the NFL allows rookies?

Meachem: I'm trying to do whatever the Saints ask me to do. I'm waiting for coach (Curtis) Johnson to call me back to get me a playbook.

Q: Can you discuss the learning curve in learning the offense as a rookie in being able to contribute?

Meachem: You want to be able to understand the plays and learn every position. That's how you help the team and that's what helps you get the ball.

Q: Can you discuss your combination of size and speed?

Meachem: You must use your size and speed to your advantage. If you saw my brothers, they were the tallest ones. Growing up to keep up with them, you had to be fast.

Q: Can you discuss your familiarity with the West Coast offense?

Meachem: At Tennessee we ran a variation of the West Coast offense. We needed to know every position as a part of it. It helped us get to the line quickly.

T-Col
05-09-2007, 07:30 PM
lookin forward to seein what meachem can do. big potential here

Flyboy
05-09-2007, 09:15 PM
I lovin' the selection of Meachem more and more as the days go by.

diabsoule
05-10-2007, 08:29 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing what he can bring to the offense. The two people I'm most looking forward to seeing playing are Andy Alleman and Usama Young.

Saints Dome Patrol
05-17-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing what he can bring to the offense. The two people I'm most looking forward to seeing playing are Andy Alleman and Usama Young.

I was going to say the same thing, but you took the words right out of my mouth...! :)

Auron
06-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Kind of got lost in the mix but Scott recently put up his Saints Draft review. Link (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/reviews/teams/neworleanssaints.html)

All in all this group doesn't appear to be anything special but you almost have to give Sean Payton and Co. the benefit of the doubt after their 2006 Draft Day showing. In terms of immediate starters the Saints might strike out with this class but they are nearing the point from a talent perspective where it is hard to break into the lineup so it's tough to evaluate them in that regard. Long-term this classes' prospects are much brighter but even in a best-case scenario it will likely pale in comparison to their 2006 haul, although that will likely be the case for a long time to come because that group was just so special.

GRADE: B-

Thoughts? At this point it's hard to argue with his assessment but like it was mentioned you have to give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. They seem to know exactly what they are doing and they Drafted coachable players they feel they could develop.

It's doubtful that this Draft class has the sheer impact short term that last years did, but also it wouldn't really be fair to compare this years class to last years. Last years Draft was amazing, getting that many contributors right off the bat happens very rarely.

TigerBait45
06-19-2007, 09:57 PM
I'd say thats about right. Lots of developmental guys with high ceilings. We'll have to wait a while to see if it pans out like it can, but I'd say we did alright.

Usama Young, Bushrod and David Jones are especially intriguing..they all have such high potential.

Acreboy
07-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Who do you want to target?

Glen Dorsey
Sedrick Ellis
Dan Connor
Frank Okam

Sveen
07-01-2007, 04:37 PM
It's way to early to tell, but Glenn Dorsey would be nice. I don't hope we're picking that high though ;)

Auron
07-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Yeah, it's just way too early to tell right now. We don't even know if we'll be picking in a range where those guys will be available.

Although I will say this much.. I definitely want an impact Front 7 player. Either at DT, or LB.

Acreboy
07-01-2007, 05:04 PM
It's way to early to tell, but Glenn Dorsey would be nice. I don't hope we're picking that high though ;)I hope he gets Alan Branch syndrome and falls that far to us.

Sveen
07-01-2007, 05:23 PM
I definitely want an impact Front 7 player. Either at DT, or LB.

I can agree with that :)

saintsfan912
07-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Yea, no way we are in position to pick up Dorsey. He is a top 10 pick now and if he continues to play like we know he can then he will be locked in the top 10. I wouldn't mind Dan Conner, hopefully he drops like Puz did in 07.

TigerBait45
07-01-2007, 11:44 PM
Dan Conner would make sense.

Dorsey would make my life, though.

LSU Man
07-02-2007, 05:50 PM
i think i would drool like homer Simpson if i ver saw Dorsey in a Saints uniform. I just don't want the Saints to suck this next season for us to get him.

diabsoule
01-12-2008, 02:04 AM
How does Saints draft strategy change now that Michael Jenkins has chosen to go back for his senior year? How will it change if James Laurinaitis does not declare?

Sveen
01-12-2008, 09:11 AM
There are still possibilities.

Keith Rivers
Sedrick Ellis
Dan Connor
Kenny Philips
(Glenn Dorsey)

That's some of them.

01-12-2008, 09:13 AM
There are still possibilities.

Keith Rivers
Sedrick Ellis
Dan Connor
Kenny Philips
(Glenn Dorsey)

That's some of them.

Rivers, Connor, Philips should be your top choices at your pick. I highly doubt Ellis and Dorsey fall there as I expect them both to be top 5 picks.

TigerBait45
01-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Ideally I'd want to see them take Dorsey or Ellis, but Dorsey is all but impossible and Ellis isn't likely either.

Kenny Phillips or Keith Rivers/Dan Connor are more likely. I could deal with that.

Just as long as it isn't like..DeSean Jackson I'll be okay.

diabsoule
01-13-2008, 12:00 AM
I'm really starting to lean towards Keith Rivers. Although I'd love to see Ali Highsmith in a Saints uniform, Rivers seems to be a more complete linebacker. My ideal draft would have us drafting someone like Sedrick Ellis in the first.

One thing about this years draft is that it is going to be very deep at LB, which is good for us.

TigerBait45
01-13-2008, 01:03 AM
I think picking at 10, you've got a great shot to get a guy who will make an impact no matter who you take.

Obviously, the secondary seems to be the weakest part of the defense (although the rest isn't very good), so I'd almost like to see them take Kenny. Guy can play.

If Sedrick Ellis is around, though, they'd be stupid to pass him up. Which means they probably will.

diabsoule
01-13-2008, 12:12 PM
I think picking at 10, you've got a great shot to get a guy who will make an impact no matter who you take.

Obviously, the secondary seems to be the weakest part of the defense (although the rest isn't very good), so I'd almost like to see them take Kenny. Guy can play.

If Sedrick Ellis is around, though, they'd be stupid to pass him up. Which means they probably will.

We need so much secondary help. We also need guys who can play now so we're going to have to go after a couple corners in FA. We can fix our defense but it's going to take a lot of work.

Still, the guys I would happy with us taking are Keith Rivers, Sedrick Ellis, Mike Jenkins, and my sleeper is Leodis McKelvin, CB, from Troy.

Saints67
01-16-2008, 02:52 PM
What's the report on Curtis Lofton?

I just saw a vid of him on Youtube, and this guy looks like a BEAST. We sure could use someone like him. If he has a good combine, a low 40, he could shoot up boards like Willis last year, and then he warrant a draft pick at where we are at.

saintsfan912
01-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Am I the only one that thinks we should draft Jacob Hester and move Reggie to WR. I know Hester and Deuce are pretty similar in styles but how great would it be to see him in the Superdome every weekend? The guy is a gamer and would probably ease the loss of Deuce when he gets hurt again. (We all know its gonna happen, don't mean to jinx him or anything) He probably won't be drafted til the 3rd or 4th because of 40 times, ect but we all know he's a beast. And maybe even use the 7th rounder on Will Arnold. Without the injuries the man is a monster, maybe he can shake the injuries off with a pro medic staff.

As for the 1st, I would love to spend it on Ellis or Phillips. With the way everyone is downplaying Dorsey though, it's not all that far fetched that he could fall a little.

diabsoule
01-17-2008, 03:26 AM
Am I the only one that thinks we should draft Jacob Hester and move Reggie to WR. I know Hester and Deuce are pretty similar in styles but how great would it be to see him in the Superdome every weekend? The guy is a gamer and would probably ease the loss of Deuce when he gets hurt again. (We all know its gonna happen, don't mean to jinx him or anything) He probably won't be drafted til the 3rd or 4th because of 40 times, ect but we all know he's a beast. And maybe even use the 7th rounder on Will Arnold. Without the injuries the man is a monster, maybe he can shake the injuries off with a pro medic staff.

As for the 1st, I would love to spend it on Ellis or Phillips. With the way everyone is downplaying Dorsey though, it's not all that far fetched that he could fall a little.

I see Hester as an H back and while that would be useful we really have no where for him on the roster. He's too small to line up at full back or TE. He's not quick enough to line-up at RB. I just don't see him contributing much as a pro.

I do agree with you that we need to move Reggie to WR.

Flyboy
01-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Moving Bush to a WR is a completely horrid idea no way it's sliced.

Rich Jr
01-17-2008, 02:31 PM
At 10 It's Ellis, Phillips, if both are gone then trade down and take Talib/Connor.

Moving Bush to a WR is a completely horrid idea no way it's sliced.It's a completely great idea. He's not an effective RB in the NFL.

Flyboy
01-17-2008, 02:38 PM
It's a completely great idea. He's not an effective RB in the NFL.

It's only his second year. When used properly (as in his rookie season), he showed exactly effective he can be on our offense and other defensives in the league. Moving him to WR takes away all his versatility. Bad idea.

Rich Jr
01-17-2008, 02:54 PM
It's only his second year. When used properly (as in his rookie season), he showed exactly effective he can be on our offense and other defensives in the league. Moving him to WR takes away all his versatility. Bad idea.You're probably right. Averaging over 3.3 ypc is highly overrated.

Flyboy
01-17-2008, 04:21 PM
You still seem to be missing the point. Reggie Bush is suited best by being used in space and able to create opportunities. No, he's not the best in between the tackle runner, however, you move him to WR and you'd have him constantly lined up against the opposing team's second or nickel CB. Everyone says Bush should move to WR, but how many times has Bush actually ran a route farther than 10 yards? He gets most of his catches as dropoffs or a hot route from Brees -- many times (especially in his rookie season) he'd catch a 3-yard pass (from the backfield mind you) and turn it into at least a first down. Heck, you can even look at the biggest play he's made in his career thus far was in the NFLCG game against the Bears. He didn't initially line up at WR, he was motioned to the outside (which caused a great deal of confusion to the Bears defense) got the pick from Colston and was gone. Even though, Bush hasn't been stellar thus far (although, his rookie season was still solid) moving him to strictly WR would be a big mistake.

Rich Jr
01-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Well when he's the RB he's either doing one of these.

A.) Getting stuffed up the middle
B.) Getting caught on the outside because he can't turn the corner
C.) Getting a stupid screen pass that doesn't work
D.) Running a 2 yard route on 3rd and 9 and getting 3 yards because he goes down after 1st contact

Flyboy
01-17-2008, 06:32 PM
I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree then. It's cool -- people are down on Bush for having a down sophomore season (and like to ignore the fact that he played through a lot of the season with an injury). When Bush is used correctly, he's a threat. Period. Yes, he does need to improve on field vision and hitting the hole without trying to bounce everything outside, but to say he needs to completely change positions is silly. At least in his third season it is.

TigerBait45
01-17-2008, 10:53 PM
People don't understand that hes got a ton of growing left to do. Bush can be a bigger, faster Brian Westbrook if he gets a little stronger and learns some inside patience.

Give him another 2 years before you start calling him a bust, I say.

Flyboy
01-17-2008, 10:56 PM
People don't understand that hes got a ton of growing left to do. Bush can be a bigger, faster Brian Westbrook if he gets a little stronger and learns some inside patience.

Give him another 2 years before you start calling him a bust, I say.

That's what I say as well, but we shall see.

Sveen
01-24-2008, 04:51 AM
QB:
John David Booty

RB/FB:
<No players>

WR/TE:
Martin Rucker
Eddie Royal
Dorien Bryant
Brad Cottam
Donnie Avery
Kellen Davis
Andre Caldwell
D.J. Hall

OL:
Mike Pollak
Drew Radovich
Kory Lichtensteiger
Mike McGlynn
Chad Rinehard

DL:
Chris Ellis
Jason Jones
Andre Fluellen

LB:
Dan Connor
Titus Brown

DB:
Patrick Lee
Thomas DeCoud
Terrell Thomas
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Terrence Wheatley

Specialists:
Alexis Serna
Mike Dragosavich
Garrison Sanborn
Brandon Coutu

----

The trend looks to be WR, TE, OL, DB and K/P so far.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
01-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Rodgers-Cromartie seems to be really impressing at the Senior Bowl. If he has a great combine, can he become a possible option at #10?

diabsoule
01-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Rodgers-Cromartie seems to be really impressing at the Senior Bowl. If he has a great combine, can he become a possible option at #10?

I don't know if his stock will raise that high.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
01-24-2008, 01:31 PM
I don't know if his stock will raise that high.

I don't think it will, but stranger things have happened.

I'm really starting to think more and more DB. If Dorsey and Ellis are both gone, as it seems they would be, you can scratch DT off the list of potential picks. With Little Animal going back to school, Rivers is probably the only LB worth taking that high, and there is enough LB depth in this draft that we can probably pick up a quality starter in Round 2. Jenkins, Talib, McKelvin, Cason, and Kenny Phillips should all go in that area. I think we need a corner more than a safety, but I like Phillips more than any of the prospects at CB.

Flyboy
01-24-2008, 02:27 PM

I think McKelvin has a chance to go in the top 15.

diabsoule
01-24-2008, 06:02 PM
I think McKelvin has a chance to go in the top 15.

I think so too.

Right now, I'm not too worried about drafting DB. I'd like to see us draft one but I"m thinking third round. There are enough quality FA cornerbacks to go after one. I'm more worried about creating a pass rush and having impact linebackers.

Here's my 5 round mock draft so far (I don't like going past 5)

1. Keith Rivers - OLB
2. Phillip Wheeler - ILB
3. Charles Godfrey - CB
4. Andre Fluellen - DT
5. Adrian Arringont - WR

SaintsFanForLife
02-16-2008, 10:02 AM
I think so too.

Right now, I'm not too worried about drafting DB. I'd like to see us draft one but I"m thinking third round. There are enough quality FA cornerbacks to go after one. I'm more worried about creating a pass rush and having impact linebackers.

Here's my 5 round mock draft so far (I don't like going past 5)

1. Keith Rivers - OLB
2. Phillip Wheeler - ILB
3. Charles Godfrey - CB
4. Andre Fluellen - DT
5. Adrian Arringont - WR
I like that draft I would just like Loftin at 2 if available

RAZERSAINTS
02-16-2008, 10:21 AM
I just really want Rivers in the 1st..I am high on him

GeauxSaints
03-06-2008, 11:03 AM
i've been MIA for a while, so this may have been discussed....

what happened to Antoine Cason? it seems if he had come out as a JR he would have been a top 15 pick. now it could be possible for NO to get him in the 3rd.

Modano
03-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Hey saints fans... what do you think of the possibility to draft Medenhall? Payton is an offensive guru, and since he's become the coach of the Saints he has always drafted offensive players in the first round.. Considering that your offense was at his best when you have a power back to share carries with Bush... do you think this could happen?

diabsoule
03-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Hey saints fans... what do you think of the possibility to draft Medenhall? Payton is an offensive guru, and since he's become the coach of the Saints he has always drafted offensive players in the first round.. Considering that your offense was at his best when you have a power back to share carries with Bush... do you think this could happen?

With the re-signing of Stecker and reports coming out of camp that Deuce's rehabilitation has gone extremely well, I think the possibility of drafting a running back in the first round are slim to none. We still have Bush and Pierre Thomas on the roster as well.

TigerBait45
03-09-2008, 04:54 PM
It wouldn't shock me, to be honest. I almost expect it.

I won't like it much though. Mendenhall should be a good back but we have bigger needs than that. If he wants a between the tackles guy that bad he needs to wait a few rounds and pick up Matt Forte.

saintsfan912
03-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Or Jacob Hester!!!!!

SaintsFanForLife
03-09-2008, 08:18 PM
I would still like us to take Rivers at #10. But I see us going CB or DT since we got Morgan and Vilma.

RAZERSAINTS
03-09-2008, 10:05 PM
I would also like Rivers you just never know with Morgan one good hit and he is done.

TigerBait45
03-10-2008, 10:33 AM
My ideal situation is to trade back and get some additional picks if Dorsey and Ellis are both off the board.

I like Rivers but I think we could probably get him a few picks later..same with Cromartie and all those cornerbacks.

RAZERSAINTS
03-11-2008, 06:37 PM
I dont care what we do. Just draft someone that can start ASAP for us.

SaintsFanForLife
03-11-2008, 11:05 PM
I really dont know what we will do now... Before I was sure we would pick up Rivers now with Vilma and Morgan I dont think we will. If Dorcey or Ellis are not ther I really dont know where we will go. I dont think we will take a CB. I would not mind moving down a little then taken a CB while getting more picks in the process.. What position do you guys think we will take if both Top DT are gone at the 10 spot.

Flyboy
03-12-2008, 01:43 AM
With the re-signing of Stecker and reports coming out of camp that Deuce's rehabilitation has gone extremely well, I think the possibility of drafting a running back in the first round are slim to none. We still have Bush and Pierre Thomas on the roster as well.

Eh, it's not that simple to me. I would not be shocked at all to see us draft Mendenhall. And, if McFadden falls to 10? Oh geez, that's asking for it.

saintsfan912
03-12-2008, 02:33 AM
Dude IF McFadden falls I would have NO problem drafting him. He is more of a HB than Reggie is. Use Reggie as a glorified slot, I guarantee he would be better than Welker in the slot. I didn't see much of Mendenhall so I don't know what to think about him.

RAZERSAINTS
03-12-2008, 02:25 PM
I would love to land D-Mac if he falls

diabsoule
03-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Who is a player/ or players that you would hate for the Saints to draft at #10. Please give a reason why.