PDA

View Full Version : Best Defensive Players in this Year's Draft

Bronco in UT
08-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Hey all,

I am a HUGE Bronco fan but am VERY concerned about our defense this year and years to come. Who do you believe are the best players (defensive) for this year's draft in each round. Particularly DL, LB's, and Safetys. I expect us to draft anywhere from 12 - 18 this year so please feel free to give your analysis. Oh and one more thing, please no small guys, I'm tired of our undersized defense.

Bronco in UT
08-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Ok,
Well how about some people inform me on some people to possibly fallow in that range this year during the college football season eh?

Unbiased
08-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Click on "Rankings" at the top of this page, and Scott's early rankings are up there.

BamaFalcon59
08-23-2008, 11:42 PM
Well, the top CB (Macho Harris) and S (Kam Chancellor) both play for Virginia Tech..

Unbiased
08-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Well, the top CB (Macho Harris) and S (Kam Chancellor) both play for Virginia Tech..

I think he was asking a serious question.

BamaFalcon59
08-23-2008, 11:45 PM
And I gave a serious answer.

Unbiased
08-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Here's the best overall players for the draft. Note that some won't be eligible for this year's draft, but are shoe-in first rounders in the future.

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/players/

BamaFalcon59
08-24-2008, 12:09 AM
I would say a good number of those players will be drafted. And saying Chancellor doesn't have a chance to be the top S is ignorant, Macho has as good a chance to pass Jenkins as anyone else and right now is the number two CB.

Unbiased
08-24-2008, 12:12 AM
I would say a good number of those players will be drafted. And saying Chancellor doesn't have a chance to be the top S is ignorant, Macho has as good a chance to pass Jenkins as anyone else and right now is the number two CB.

So first they are the best prospects and now they have a chance to be the best prospects?

BamaFalcon59
08-24-2008, 12:22 AM
So first they are the best prospects and now they have a chance to be the best prospects?

First of all you take things too seriously and are coming off as an ass.

Second of all, everyone right now has a chance to be the best prospect. If I had to put money on it, I would say Chancellor will be the top safety in the class, if he is second then to William Moore. Macho will be the second CB drafted if I had to put money on it, drafted shortly after Malcolm Jenkins.

Third, Malcolm Jenkins has 'a chance' to not be drafted. You saying that makes you look ignorant. Me saying they will be the best prospect at their position for sure would be stupid, considering injury and bust happens all the time.

Mr.Regular
08-24-2008, 12:27 AM
The point of this thread (though stupid) was to list the best defensive players coming up for the 09 draft. Why are we discussing Chancellor and Harris?

The best players on D for this draft are Rey Maualuga, James Laurinatis, Michael Johnson, Fili Moala, George Selvie, Malcolm Jenkins... and a boat load of juniors with tons of potential

BamaFalcon59
08-24-2008, 12:30 AM
Moala is completely overrated.

And you all will see.

Unbiased
08-24-2008, 01:10 AM

Second of all, everyone right now has a chance to be the best prospect. If I had to put money on it, I would say Chancellor will be the top safety in the class, if he is second then to William Moore. Macho will be the second CB drafted if I had to put money on it, drafted shortly after Malcolm Jenkins.

Third, Malcolm Jenkins has 'a chance' to not be drafted. You saying that makes you look ignorant. Me saying they will be the best prospect at their position for sure would be stupid, considering injury and bust happens all the time.

it's a little confusing when you say Harris is the best corner prospect, and then minutes later say he isn't. I'm just trying to figure out what you're really saying, which is difficult when you flip flop.

Race for the Heisman
08-24-2008, 09:41 AM
His (BamaFalcon) post seemed legitimate enough to me. I think both Chancellor and Harris could end up in the 12-18 range. It would not be unreasonable for either to be either the first, second, or third best prospect at their respective positions and considering McKelvin and DRC both went in the range last year and there has been an increase in the valuation of elite safeties (Huff and Whitner as top 10 picks in the same draft).

At this point it is a bit early to say for sure. Look at all of the guys who could be in the top 5 at their position and considering that order could change pending what happens in the season and the post-season and you could make a case for any one of thirty or so guys to be picked in that range (12-18).

scottyboy
08-24-2008, 09:53 AM
http://www.suathletics.com/images/Football/2006/8/23/greene_Cinn%20112.JPG

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/72518599.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABB53466E5696AFF298 A40A659CEC4C8CB6

Courtney Greene, game over

bored of education
08-24-2008, 10:41 AM
Scotty, only one Rutgers player. You are slacking.

WIlliam Moore, Malcolm Jenkins, Michael Johnson, Rey Rey, James L to name a few. James L fits the Bronco's D IMO.

Cribbs>Hester
08-24-2008, 09:16 PM
1. Maurice Evans DE Penn State
2. Everette Brown DE Florida State
3. Rey Maualuga ILB USC
4. Mike Mickens CB Cincinnati
5. Tyson Jackson DE LSU

princefielder28
08-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Rey Maualuga is the top defensive player right now; he's a complete animal and a greater force than James Laurinaitis. Michael Johnson, if he reaches potential, can take that spot as a dominant pass rusher but til then it's Rey.

keylime_5
08-24-2008, 10:32 PM
For my money:
1-Rey Maualuga
2-James Laurinaitis
3-Malcolm Jenkins
4-Vontae Davis
5-William Moore

If I were a cover 2 team I'd put JL #1.

Staubach12
08-25-2008, 04:04 PM

You're coming off as the ass. First of all, you say both the best safety and corner (who are not the best) both play for your favorite team. Then when told you're wrong, you come back with "everyone has the chance to be the best." Are you serious? Fine then. Juice Williams is the best QB of the class. Now, if I stopped there, you'd call me an idiot. But everyone has a chance, right?! Be realistic.

yourfavestoner
08-25-2008, 04:50 PM
I would love to see brandon spikes and dj williams play next to each other

eaglesfan_45
08-25-2008, 05:12 PM
From an athletic standpoint, Taylor Mays is THE elite defensive player. If your looking for production and good numbers (not great) William Moore's production is unsurpassed. If your looking for a hard hitting LB to add some attitude/force to your side Rey Mualuga is your guy. Looking for an elite 4-3 NT? Jeff Owens or Vince Oghabaase are the prospects you want. 3-4 NT? BJ Rajii. Looking for added pass rush? George Selvie is as good as they come off the edge. Looking for an athletic freak? Micheal Johnson DE Georgia Tech is the ideal RDE in a 4-3 defense. How about a 3-4 end? Look for Tyson Jackson out of LSU.

Staubach12
08-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Let's not forget William Moore is a fantastic athlete in his own right.

eaglesfan_45
08-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Let's not forget William Moore is a fantastic athlete in his own right.

yeah, but really no one can compare to Mays if the numbers are real.

Mays- 6'4" 230 lbs with low 4.4 speed to high 4.3 speed
Moore- 6'1" 210 lbs with high 4.4 speed to low 4.5 speed.

BTW, I don't doubt Moore, I just think Mays is the better athlete right now (if the numbers are true) but Moore is a much better football player and he is the best overall safety in the draft, so much production. Some safeties would love to put up Moore's junior year numbers in a career. I love Moore as a player and I am his biggest homer right now, and I've converted all the Eagles fans!

keylime_5
08-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Fortunately there's more to playing safety than just the triangle numbers. I'd take Moore by a hair right now, he plays the position well and I think the rest of his game will come and he'll be an elite NFL safety. Mays is a phenomenal athlete and a good safety, not as good as Moore yet but he has the tools to be better for sure.

BamaFalcon59
08-25-2008, 09:00 PM
You're coming off as the ass. First of all, you say both the best safety and corner (who are not the best) both play for your favorite team. Then when told you're wrong, you come back with "everyone has the chance to be the best." Are you serious? Fine then. Juice Williams is the best QB of the class. Now, if I stopped there, you'd call me an idiot. But everyone has a chance, right?! Be realistic.

And you lack reading comprehension.

Nothing is set in stone right now. While I was clearly exaggerating being a VT fan, and I thought be exaggerating was being obvious, come April Macho Harris probably has the second best chance to be the top CB, after Malcolm Jenkins.

Safety right now is a complete toss up, with Moore, Mays, Chancellor, and more at the position. Saying one is the true 'best prospect' at this point would be ignorant.

Right now at CB there is the first tier (Jenkins) and the second tier (Harris, Mickens, and I like Alphonso Smith from Wake a lot). While I would say Jenkins is the top prospect at this point (and that is rather clear, like I said I was exaggerating), I would not hesitate to brag on Harris and put him second.

At safety Chancellor has as good a chance as any of the top tier to be the top safety. Like I said, putting one of them as the clear cut number one would be wrong at this point.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-25-2008, 09:12 PM
No draft eligible player in the draft is more disruptive than Rey Maualuga, but he's widely inconsistent, so I have trouble calling him the best, per se.

Right now it would be hard to say that someone like Laurinaitis wasn't the best defensive player in college football, but in regards to the coming draft I think that Vontae Davis is probably the best mix to threaten for that top defender spot. That, of course, is said because while there is the distinct chance that some defensive lineman (or linebacker, even) rockets up to the top of the draft, I haven't the faintest clue who that could be until games begin.

BamaFalcon59
08-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Yeah, Vontae is a freak.

ammandss
09-03-2008, 08:50 AM
As for the Broncos, I've been scanning through some betting lines for records and averaged them together to create a draft order for my mock draft. The Broncos are listed at #11. Even though I agree that the defensive side of the ball is the Broncos biggest need, I have them taking Beanie Wells there because he slipped and the top defenders were gone.

I had LBs Rey Maulauga and Laurinitis, CBs Vontae Davis and Malcolm Jenkins and DE Michael Johnson going in the top 10 picks, with Maulauga being the first defensive player off the board. That doesn't mean I think he's the best but just fit the team at the right spot.

I think Michael Johnson has potential to be the best defensive player but he really needs to put it together this year and could just as easily fall off a lot.

Keep in mind this is all based off of expectations and nothing concrete and I'm sure this will all change a lot.

Public Service Announcement: Friends don't let friends go to Virginia Tech. Brought to you by the Partners for a Hokie-Free America.

BamaFalcon59
09-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Die hard Virginia fan?!?

33-21
17-0
52-14
24-10

Not to mention wins per year and in state recruiting!!!

ammandss
09-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Yes I am a die hard Virginia fan and I agree that in recent years Virginia Tech has been better in football. But I like Virginia's 2009 in-state recruiting effort much more than VT's, but then again they are known for different positions. VT produces speed players and Virginia produces NFL linemen and tight ends.

Well, that's beside the point but no Virginia Tech player (as of now) is a top defensive prospect. I love Macho Harris but I don't think he is the top corner yet. He has the potential but it's unrealized. I haven't followed the safety as much as Harris so I won't comment on that.

And since I need to add my Hokie Pokie jab in there... I'm still waiting for a NFL prospect to come out of VT that isn't a punk.

Die hard Virginia fan?!?

33-21
17-0
52-14
24-10

Not to mention wins per year and in state recruiting!!!

Turtlepower
09-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Greg Middleton will tear up the NFL!

Bruce Banner
09-03-2008, 01:00 PM
I didn't realize how many of the posters I thought were intelligent are also complete homers.

eaglesalltheway
09-03-2008, 01:01 PM
The more I posted here, the more I figured it out as well. I'm guilty of it as well, but not to the extent of some of them.

BamaFalcon59
09-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Yes I am a die hard Virginia fan and I agree that in recent years Virginia Tech has been better in football. But I like Virginia's 2009 in-state recruiting effort much more than VT's, but then again they are known for different positions. VT produces speed players and Virginia produces NFL linemen and tight ends.

Well, that's beside the point but no Virginia Tech player (as of now) is a top defensive prospect. I love Macho Harris but I don't think he is the top corner yet. He has the potential but it's unrealized. I haven't followed the safety as much as Harris so I won't comment on that.

And since I need to add my Hokie Pokie jab in there... I'm still waiting for a NFL prospect to come out of VT that isn't a punk.

The reason you may be fine in state this year is because our class is going to be like 15-17 players, in comparison to over 30 last year.

Looking at a list of Virginia's top 25 next year (early rankings of course), Shuman, McCray, Wallace, Spain, Acree, Glass, Peak, and Farris are all pretty good leans with several others who may be Hokies. Many believe Phillip Sims is SEC bound, but others think he is a Hokie.

Anyways, I think next year ends up our best class ever. It is very early, but things are looking bright.

BamaFalcon59
09-03-2008, 01:11 PM
I didn't realize how many of the posters I thought were intelligent are also complete homers.

Guilty as charged.

CC.SD
09-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Taylor Mays will easily be the best defensive player in this draft, and that includes Rey. He's limitless from an athletic standpoint and he'll only get better and better at reading the game as a deep safety.

Bruce Banner
09-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Taylor Mays will easily be the best defensive player in this draft, and that includes Rey. He's limitless from an athletic standpoint and he'll only get better and better at reading the game as a deep safety.

A take it you're a USC fan right?

eaglesalltheway
09-03-2008, 01:48 PM

I don't know about "easily", but with his athletecism, the potential is there. He hasn't done enough to show that yet, so I've got to think that assesment is a little brash.

DcmRulz
09-04-2008, 06:35 AM
in my opinion, the best defensive players (per position) are:

DT-Fili Moala (Sleeper alert: Gerald McCoy)

DE-Maurice Evans (Even Ends Get Sleepers [even though he has off-field problems]: Jermaine Cunningham)

OLB-Brian Cushing (SEC Sleeper Alert: Micah Johnson)

MLB-Rey Maualuga (Semi-sleeper alert: Brandon Spikes)

CB-Vontae Davis
CB-Macho Harris (High-rise alert: Devin Ross)

S-William Moore
S-Taylor Mays (Big sleeper alert: Reshad Jones)

Final junior sleeper (even though they're all sleepers, and this isn't much of one, anyway): DE/LB Brandon Graham, Michigan

But how many sleepers are there, anyway?

DcmRulz
09-04-2008, 06:36 AM
i meant juniors, also

MetSox17
09-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Brian Orakpo and Sergio Kindle.

/Thread.