look for more news shortly.

edit: more info:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3551499

bored of education
08-24-2008, 01:26 PM
That sucks. :( :( :( :(.

Chucky
08-24-2008, 01:26 PM
That is a huge blow for the Giants. Move Kiwi back to DE?

BeerBaron
08-24-2008, 01:27 PM
That is a huge blow for the Giants. Move Kiwi back to DE?

beg Strahan to return?

bantx
08-24-2008, 01:30 PM
This is bad news for the giants sucks, i heard he was carted off the field what was the injury?

BeerBaron
08-24-2008, 01:31 PM
This is bad news for the giants sucks, i heard he was carted off the field what was the injury?

Torn MCL it seems

Brent
08-24-2008, 01:31 PM
To say he'd done for the year is a little drastic, they wont know anything for certain until he has the MRI.

bantx
08-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Theyre talking about this on ESPNEWS, and theyre talking about strahan being called to come back

BeerBaron
08-24-2008, 01:32 PM
To say he'd done for the year is a little drastic, they wont know anything for certain until he has the MRI.

I think it already did take place and that is what Schefter is reporting

Geo
08-24-2008, 01:48 PM
First off, that sucks.

Now about Strahan theoretically returning, I seriously wonder how well he's kept himself once he finally decided to retire. I don't think he imagined him being called back a month or two later would happen.

Last year, it may have taken two weeks or so for him to get back into his groove. If he does come back now, maybe something similar if not a little longer. Worth it?

Malaka
08-24-2008, 01:53 PM
WOW this sucks... the only good thing is we can see what Kiwanuka can do but damn.... this really sucks I am gonna cry my self to sleep.

BeerBaron
08-24-2008, 01:56 PM
First off, that sucks.

Now about Strahan theoretically returning, I seriously wonder how well he's kept himself once he finally decided to retire. I don't think he imagined him being called back a month or two later would happen.

Last year, it may have taken two weeks or so for him to get back into his groove. If he does come back now, maybe something similar if not a little longer. Worth it?

They might be alright going with Tuck and Kiwi at the DE spots as starters with Wynn working in in a rotation, but they suddenly went from one of the teams with the deepest pool of pass rushers to having two quality starters and....thats it....

Even an out of shape Strahan coming in every now and then could prove beneficial from a playing standpoint. The "worth it" to me, would be whether or not its worth it to the Giants to pay him what it would take to get him out of retirement if he is out of shape.

T-RICH49
08-24-2008, 01:57 PM
tough blow for the G-men

Malaka
08-24-2008, 01:58 PM
The Giants are so screwed... who is playing SAM now?!?!?! Gerris Wilkinson... Danny Clark????

Geo
08-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Oh come on, it's just the SLB. Who cares, throw anybody in there.

Jughead10
08-24-2008, 01:59 PM

Torn MCL, it requires surgery and 3-4 months of rehab.

I'd say Kiwi is likely to move back to DE, but that is just be speculating. The battle for the starting weakside linebacker has been pretty close between Danny Clark and Wilkinson. Clark is more of a natural strongside guy anyway so I'm guessing he would take Kiwi's spot and Wilkinson will start on the weakside with rookie Brian Kehl pushing him for playing time.

MetSox17
08-24-2008, 02:00 PM
They might be alright going with Tuck and Kiwi at the DE spots as starters with Wynn working in in a rotation, but they suddenly went from one of the teams with the deepest pool of pass rushers to having two quality starters and....thats it....

Even an out of shape Strahan coming in every now and then could prove beneficial from a playing standpoint. The "worth it" to me, would be whether or not its worth it to the Giants to pay him what it would take to get him out of retirement if he is out of shape.

Having Tuck and Kiwanuka start and play at DE all game, i would imagine, is the Giants' worst nightmare. Their unique looks will be normal and they'll go back to regular season form. I wasn't expecting much from this Giants team anyway, but this sure sets them back a little more.

Sniper
08-24-2008, 02:01 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, let me rephrase that. I hate to wish injury on any one, but it helps the Eagles. And now Winston Justice can stop hyperventilating at the thought of facing Osi this year.

Best of luck on a speedy recovery to Umenyiora.

BeerBaron
08-24-2008, 02:02 PM

still shouldn't create a hole to fill another hole.

Let him stay there on downs that call for the base 4-3 and then when you need to switch it up to nickel or whatever, pull Wynn and put Kiwi at DE.

MetSox17
08-24-2008, 02:04 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, let me rephrase that. I hate to wish injury on any one, but it helps the Eagles. And now Winston Justice can stop hyperventilating at the thought of facing Osi this year.

Best of luck on a speedy recovery to Umenyiora.

Yeah, Justice should be the only one rejoicing, seeing as he's the only one Umenyiora did anything significant against.

Sniper
08-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Yeah, Justice should be the only one rejoicing, seeing as he's the only one Umenyiora did anything significant against.

Indeed he is

RaiderNation
08-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Ouch this just put them out of the playoffs IMO unless Strahan can come back and be what he was last year.

Number 10
08-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Ouch.

That is starter number four that is lost from the Super Bowl winning defense.

princefielder28
08-24-2008, 02:36 PM
The depth of this team will be challenged greatly

scottyboy
08-24-2008, 02:44 PM

wow, that is probably the dumbest thing I've ever read. Obviously someone didn't watch the playoffs, especially not the Super Bowl

and I'm cutting myself and crying as I type. this is awful. I hate my life...

TimD
08-24-2008, 02:46 PM
is there anyone they could trade for at DE?

Addict
08-24-2008, 02:49 PM
argh that freakin hurts... Giants will have to wrestle their way to the playoffs now...

Geo
08-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Curtis Johnson was signed as an UDFA by the Colts but he's looking too good as a pass rusher to cut, even though the roster numbers might push for it.

d34ng3l021
08-24-2008, 02:50 PM

This is why Michael Boley beats his wife.

princefielder28
08-24-2008, 02:53 PM

you can have KGB from Green Bay

TimD
08-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Vernon Gholston for next years 1st and 3rd! haha

bearsfan_51
08-24-2008, 02:56 PM
I don't see why Strahan would come back now. It makes even less sense for him to come back on a team that is much less likely to repeat.

Jughead10
08-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Our DTs will just have to step up more as well. Have looked good so far in the preseason. Both Robbins and Cofield are in much better shape than last year. I think they have a bit of a chip on their shoulder for being rightfully overlooked. Jay Alford will have to log more snaps now as well in pass rushing situations.

Geo
08-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Don't think Strahan is leaving his cushy new FOX job unless the Giants give him a big raise like he wanted last year.

scottyboy
08-24-2008, 03:01 PM
I don't see why Strahan would come back now. It makes even less sense for him to come back on a team that is much less likely to repeat.

exactly. I wouldn't even want him to come back. He retired on top beloved by the fans. Goes out with a ring, and his body not too, too banged up. He's got a nice gig at fox. No reason for him to come back.

I was quite comfy with Kiwi at LB and Wynn and Tollefson being the back ups, but right now, you gotta see Kiwi going to DE with Tuck, which is still pretty good, really. Clark AND Gerris could end up starting, but damn, I'm not comfortable at all with that...

AND I WANT MY OSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :(

Jughead10
08-24-2008, 03:02 PM
exactly. I wouldn't even want him to come back. He retired on top beloved by the fans. Goes out with a ring, and his body not too, too banged up. He's got a nice gig at fox. No reason for him to come back.

I was quite comfy with Kiwi at LB and Wynn and Tollefson being the back ups, but right now, you gotta see Kiwi going to DE with Tuck, which is still pretty good, really. Clark AND Gerris could end up starting, but damn, I'm not comfortable at all with that...

AND I WANT MY OSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :(

We had Mitchell and Torbor as our starters in the playoffs.....

Addict
08-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Don't think Strahan is leaving his cushy new FOX job unless the Giants give him a big raise like he wanted last year.

If I recall correctly, Strahan really took his time about this decision, saying that he really wanted to be absolutely 100% sure it's what he wanted to know. With that in mind, provided he doesn't suddenly transform into Brett Favre, I doubt Strahan will change his mind at this point.

princefielder28
08-24-2008, 03:03 PM
If I recall correctly, Strahan really took his time about this decision, saying that he really wanted to be absolutely 100% sure it's what he wanted to know. With that in mind, provided he doesn't suddenly transform into Brett Favre, I doubt Strahan will change his mind at this point.

anything less than a Super Bowl is a waste of time; might as well go out on a high note and healthy

scottyboy
08-24-2008, 03:04 PM
We had Mitchell and Torbor as our starters in the playoffs.....

hah, very very true. But then again, we had Strahan and Osi in front of them.

I've got tons of faith in Spags and what he'll pull out. I LOVE Gerris too. Not so hot with Clark...

You'll see guys like Kehl, Blackburn and Maybe even DeOssie. It's gonna get real interesting...

scottyboy
08-24-2008, 03:05 PM

My aunt sees him every week. He's not coming back. He's got a great job at Fox, and he's beloved by the fans. He's happy and for the most part, healthy. He's also got his ring and his last NFL memory being the Super Bowl victory. Unless something crazy happens, he's not coming back

Wootylicous
08-24-2008, 03:06 PM
OMG YES!!!! Take that giants fans!

Tough blow for the giants though hope for a speedy recovery

Addict
08-24-2008, 03:07 PM
My aunt sees him every week. He's not coming back. He's got a great job at Fox, and he's beloved by the fans. He's happy and for the most part, healthy. He's also got his ring and his last NFL memory being the Super Bowl victory. Unless something crazy happens, he's not coming back

isn't that what I said?

(BTW: post #6000! woohoo!)

SchizophrenicBatman
08-24-2008, 03:08 PM
That's ok, he's just taking a full year off like Peppers did

The battle is back on!

bored of education
08-24-2008, 03:09 PM
anyone know if Forenci is still alive?

scottyboy
08-24-2008, 03:09 PM
isn't that what I said?

(BTW: post #6000! woohoo!)

haha yes it is. I'm not reading or thinking straight. I'm just so out of it right now. Having your favorite player in the NFL out for season ******* blows....

I was prepping to use my sexy super fly Osi sig for the opener too... dammit. I might in tribute of his awesomeness...

and you know, Strahan does love Big Blue. I HIGHLY doubt he comes back, but you know what, I wouldn't rule it out 100%

Wootylicous
08-24-2008, 03:10 PM

Somewhere forenci is crying.

scottyboy
08-24-2008, 03:10 PM

i barely am. I'm about to drown in my own tears

UKfan
08-24-2008, 03:11 PM
i barely am. I'm about to drown in my own tears

Scotty, think of the Leonard, and the Rice, and the Rutgers, now swim man, swim!

bored of education
08-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Scottyboy my man. It's ok. You will live.

Gay Ork Wang
08-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Maybe a DE from the bears?

bearsfan_51
08-24-2008, 03:15 PM
http://media.lawrence.com/img/photos/2005/11/12/scoreboard_bw_sports_t600.jpg

Dave
08-24-2008, 03:17 PM
This is horrible news for the Giants, awesome news for the NFC East. Osi, in my mind, was their best DE because unlike Tuck he has actually proven himself. I'm sure Tuck is gonna have a stellar year, but now even if he is good, he'll get double teamed without a second thought. I don't know that moving Kiwi back to DE is the answer, I think I liked him at DE better than LB, but if the transition has already been made, don't Terrell Suggs the guy.

Xonraider
08-24-2008, 04:07 PM
That's why week 3 of the preseason is dangerous. People play a lot more and harder... then week four they don't.

Anyways, this absolutely blows for the Giants.

Now we'll see how good of a coach Steve Spagnuolo REALLY is.

BeerBaron
08-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Maybe a DE from the bears?

They can have Dan Bazuin for a 2nd round pick!

GB12
08-24-2008, 04:34 PM
you can have KGB from Green Bay
Hell no they can't.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-24-2008, 04:39 PM
I hope we put Kwi in as weakside DE. Make it Tuck and Kiwi, with Wynn and Tollefson rotating in. And have Spags add some more blitz packages to compensate. This def. is a set back, but at now we, giants fans, can see what Kiwi brings to the table.

Number 10
08-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Just a few quick thoughts...

-The loss of Osi is huge for this defense. He looked great against Joe Thomas last week and the limited action he saw last night, he was his normal disruptive self. Usually he doesn't turn it on until the end of September, I was looking for him to start off on fire.

-I think this has to mean Kiwanuka is moved back to his best position, right defensive end. He excelled there as a rookie with no help around him and now with the weight he has put on since and the experience under his belt, a double digit sack season would not be out of the question.

-This move in the front seven may actually make our LB core better, as Kiwanuka was still looking a bit shaky at SAM. Start Clark and Wilkinson and the LB core will be fine.

-Steve Spagnuolo is one of the best in the business when it comes to getting creative with his personnel, time for him to earn his money.

-I do not see a trade on the horizon, however it would not shock me to see something get done a few weeks into the season if there are blatant struggles along the front seven. We are not in need of a starter, just some quality, versaile depth and we may already have that in Wallace Gilberry/Dave Tollefson/Renaldo Wynn. The Giants will have over 10 picks in the upcoming draft though, so there are expendable resources.

bearsfan_51
08-24-2008, 04:49 PM
How much has Kiwi played with his hand down in the pros?

CC.SD
08-24-2008, 04:50 PM

Ask Vince Young.

Number 10
08-24-2008, 05:03 PM

His entire rookie year, and he was a 3rd down DE last season.

TheBuffaloBills
08-24-2008, 06:22 PM
I think Kiawanuka should go to DE.....Its not like DE is a new position for him..... IMO he was a top 3 DE in college when drafted

GB12
08-24-2008, 06:35 PM
I hope we put Kwi in as weakside DE. Make it Tuck and Kiwi, with Wynn and Tollefson rotating in. And have Spags add some more blitz packages to compensate. This def. is a set back, but at now we, giants fans, can see what Kiwi brings to the table.
Tollefson, haven't heard that name in a while. Is he doing well enough to deserve playing time?

scottyboy
08-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Tollefson, haven't heard that name in a while. Is he doing well enough to deserve playing time?

surprisingly, yes. Played pretty damn well last year and has been looking pretty good so far this year. I love the guy.

BlindSite
08-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Its a great opportunity for the other guys to come in and make plays, but after spending most of their careers as rotational guys I expect to see drop offs in their play during games.

scottyboy
08-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Its a great opportunity for the other guys to come in and make plays, but after spending most of their careers as rotational guys I expect to see drop offs in their play during games.

true, but Kiwi was a pretty heralded pass rusher coming out of BC. Played pretty well his rookie year and was hurt for the latter half of last year. He's not really a rotational guy.

Tuck however has been a rotational guy and needs to keep the level of play the same.

The Renaldo Wynn signing is looking better and better each day

Menardo75
08-24-2008, 08:07 PM
-Steve Spagnuolo is one of the best in the business when it comes to getting creative with his personnel, time for him to earn his money.

He is one of the best just because he has a package with four pass rushers?

scottyboy
08-24-2008, 08:08 PM

trust me, that's not all he did. Some of the packages he came up with were like "wtf? oh ****, that rules". watching every game, G-men fans know what he's talking about. Trust me, 4 aces wasn't his only trick

Sniper
08-24-2008, 08:09 PM

He may be one of the best because he was able to find a way to make their cluster **** at DB halfway decent.

Malaka
08-24-2008, 08:10 PM
There will be no trade for the Giants, and if there is they'd probably look for a linebacker, not a DE, Kiwi is a better fit at DE. Umenyiora's injury is a huge setback, but I have faith that Kiwanuka will prove to be a great DE in this league, by seeing from his rookie year he looked great, and now should only be better, I think this really ends Kiwi at SLB... we cannot Terrell Suggs/DJ Williams this guy, I think next year when everyone is healthy we will see Osi LE, Kiwi RE, and Tuck at DT, and if that happens we would need a LB more than a DT in the draft.

God... bless Kiwanuka with the power of Lawrence Taylor.

scottyboy
08-24-2008, 08:11 PM
He may be one of the best because he was able to find a way to make their cluster **** at DB halfway decent.

pretty much. If you can make Corey Webster revert to his college form and delete the things tim lewis told him from his memory, you're doing something right.

and the fact he was wanted by at least 2 teams as a head coach has gotta tell you something...

Menardo75
08-24-2008, 08:14 PM
and the fact he was wanted by at least 2 teams as a head coach has gotta tell you something...

Well when you see something different it is eye catching. I guess with some injurys we will find out if he is the real deal

Jughead10
08-24-2008, 09:00 PM
hah, very very true. But then again, we had Strahan and Osi in front of them.

I've got tons of faith in Spags and what he'll pull out. I LOVE Gerris too. Not so hot with Clark...

You'll see guys like Kehl, Blackburn and Maybe even DeOssie. It's gonna get real interesting...

Clark is a thumper. He will probably play better on the strongside then he ever would have at weakside for us. I always had concerns about him playing in more space, and figured he would be someone who would be losing playing time to some of the younger guys later in the season if he stayed at weakside. On the strongside, I think he'll have that locked down all season unless for injury. I think it is safe to say that DeOssie won't be pushing for serious playing time. He is lucky he can long snap on punts. It seems like Kehl has passed him on the strongside depth chart in my mind.

scottyboy
08-24-2008, 09:30 PM
jug, you're right on DeOssie, I don't see him getting time on D anytime soon. Clark will probably be better at SLB, but he didn't look too good thus far in the preseason...

princefielder28
08-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Hell no they can't.

I wasn't 100% serious

703SKINS202
08-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Wow this sucks. Good for Skins but hate to see a guy like Osi go down, good luck in recovery.

ATLDirtyBirds
08-24-2008, 09:46 PM
That sucks. I like Osi. Feel real bad for the Giants and for myself. Kids at school who claim to be Giants fans will talk and how great Osi/Strahan are. Then, I will have to inform them that both are not playing this season. Could be worse Giant fans. You could be a Falcons fan.

TitleTown088
08-24-2008, 10:19 PM
I wasn't 100% serious
I hope you're 0% serious. Packers can afford to depart with anything on the Dline right now, or the defense for that.

Also, the few NFC East fans rejoicing for an injury are chumps.

yourfavestoner
08-25-2008, 04:41 AM
This makes things interesting. We're gonna get to see how good Justin Tuck really is.

Sniper
08-25-2008, 06:12 AM
I hope you're 0% serious. Packers can afford to depart with anything on the Dline right now, or the defense for that.

Also, the few NFC East fans rejoicing for an injury are chumps.

Because ya know, we're actually serious. Shouldn't you be polishing Brett Favre's knob right now?

Caddy
08-25-2008, 06:15 AM
I'm feeling for you Scotty. I really am.

scottyboy
08-25-2008, 07:33 AM
I'm feeling for you Scotty. I really am.

thank you caddy. it sucked when after I heard the news I saw my 2 Osi jerseys in my room. I played Madden, he hd 2 sacks, a FF and a FR. THEN I went on myspace(don't say anything..) ad of course my background layout, is Osi...

Kiwi and Tuck is still a pretty nice tandem, young and kinda unproven, but no doubt talented, let's see how they hold up

bigbluedefense
08-25-2008, 07:44 AM
This is a huge blow for the Giants. With this injury, i am forced to change my expectations for the season. However, I think ppl are underestimating the collective talent on this team and will be surprised at how well we still play even with out Osi.

First and foremost, understand that our defense is built around Umenyiora. He is the guy on our defense, even though I like Tuck better. Umenyiora was gonna have a monster year. You saw it in PS, he looked better than he ever did, he worked on more pass rush moves and was more comfortable finding seams in pass protection in his twists and stunts. He was developing a spin move as well, and throughout the PS was wreaking havoc. I was expecting a huge year from him. Better than he ever had.

But now, thats gone.

However, don't sleep on Mathias Kiwanuka. Bc he too, was and probably still is gonna have a HUGE year for the Giants. Kiwi looked really really good at LB this year, exponentially better than last year. With him at LB with Tuck and Osi at DE i thought we were gonna have a top 3 defense in the league. Our front was just unblockable, it looked so dominant it was scary. On top of that, our DTs have also looked exponentially better this year, in particular Barry Coffield.

But now Im guessing Kiwi is going to be moved back to DE. And I expect a breakout season from him. Ask anyone who's seen Kiwi play consistently, they'll tell you that while he plays with a different style from Tuck, he can be just as good. In fact, with some polishing, he could be a better version of Umenyiora.

Im very high on Kiwi, and I think he's gonna break out this season. Mark that down.

Also in regards to our dline, while we no longer have the best in the league with Osi gone, its still a damn good dline. Tuck and Kiwi could still possibly be the best 1,2 DE punch in the league (it has to be proven on the field first, im speculating here), and our DTs are underrated. I think our DT play has improved tremendously, as is evident by our run defense this year. Our run defense is significantly better than last year. People also forget about Jay Alford and his pass rushing abilities on 3rd down. So we're not starving like some media outlets will lead you to believe.

Also look at the defense as a whole. We collectively improved. LB core is faster with Wilkinson in there now, and our secondary is better than last year with Ross in year 2, and Corey Webster with year 2 in this scheme and Terrell Thomas. Kenny Phillips is better than Gibril Wilson, and our SS situation can't be any worse than it was last year.

So overall, on defense we have gotten stronger in areas that we were weaker in last year. So hopefully some of that can offset the loss of Umenyiora.

I also expect our offense to be far more consistent and put more points on the board this year, offsetting some of the loss on defense.

However, make no mistake this is a huge blow. I thought we had a top 3 defense in the league this year, I now think its more like the same as last year, a top 8 defense. Is that enough to repeat as champs? Im doubting it as of now, and my expectations have been reduced, but we're not done for like some think we are.

I fully expect ppl to cast us off and say we're the 3rd best in the East, and we won't make the playoffs and blah blah blah. That is fine with me, and probably fine with the Giants, because they love being doubted and hopefully this injury will bring them close together and theyll play with the same focus they had last year. Adversity tends to bring these guys together, and hopefully after having an inflated ego from a SB victory, this injury and the doubt cast upon this team will bring them together like it did last year and they'll surprise some ppl. Thats what im hoping for now.

And in regards to the injury, im surprised its a season ending injury. Its not an ACL, why is the recovery 4 months? He might be ready before that, i personally wouldn't put him on IR, what if he can be ready by say the 2nd round of the playoffs? *shrug*

scottyboy
08-25-2008, 08:00 AM
BBD, i love you

and on your last part, there's been speculation that we may not IR him justn yet and scope his knee. if it can't be repaired, we'd hold him out around 4 weeks untillthe pain went down or some crazy **** like that. Iread it somwhere(i think BBI) but don't wanna ge tmy hopes up

bigbluedefense
08-25-2008, 08:10 AM
BBD, i love you

and on your last part, there's been speculation that we may not IR him justn yet and scope his knee. if it can't be repaired, we'd hold him out around 4 weeks untillthe pain went down or some crazy **** like that. Iread it somwhere(i think BBI) but don't wanna ge tmy hopes up

i honestly think that if we're patient, he could come back in time for the playoffs. now the question is, are we willing to force a possible early return to make another run this year, or do we take our lumps and live to fight another year?

if he can be back for the playoffs, id feel so much better. its a 16 week season, they say its gonna take 4 months to recover, well, 16 weeks is 4 months right? why can't he be ready for the playoffs?

its not an ACL, some ppl just need 6 weeks for a MCL tear. but im probably just wishing at this point. :(

and i knew you'd get where i was comin from scotty :)

NY+Giants=NYG
08-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Source: Michael Strahan would consider returning for $8 million
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2008/08/24/2008-08-24_source_michael_strahan_would_consider_re.html

bigbluedefense
08-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Source: Michael Strahan would consider returning for $8 million
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2008/08/24/2008-08-24_source_michael_strahan_would_consider_re.html

i heard about that, but I doubt it. i think its just the NY media throwing **** on the wall and seeing what sticks.

id love for him to come back though, bc then we have a legit top 5 defense again.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-25-2008, 08:26 AM

Actually he is one of the options now.. There are 4:

1. Give Strahan 8 million and he comes back
2. Start Wynn
3. Move Kiwi
4. Play Tollefson

NY+Giants=NYG
08-25-2008, 08:29 AM
i heard about that, but I doubt it. i think its just the NY media throwing **** on the wall and seeing what sticks.

id love for him to come back though, bc then we have a legit top 5 defense again.

Yeah I am in the middle. I think we moved on too, and Strahan is 10 pounds under weight due to changing his workout program. I would like to see Kiwi moved down there and see what happens.

The whole reason we moved him to LB was to get him on the field, and not sit him at DE depth. Now that Osi is gone, we have a spot, and he has a chance to play DE again. And for LB we can move the next best guy in there.

If Strahan does come back then fine, but let's not forget it took him alot of games to get him back into shape. So at that point who knows. MIght as well see how Kiwi does from the get go.

LonghornsLegend
08-25-2008, 08:29 AM
I figured Strahan would consider it for the right price, but has he even been working out all this time? The regular season is around the corner at this point...That looks like more money then he wanted a few months back.

Damix
08-25-2008, 08:31 AM
It is a torn meniscus, Tom Rock talks about it, and links to another article which is a good read.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/blog/

bigbluedefense
08-25-2008, 08:34 AM
Strahan would need a good 8 weeks to probably get back into football shape. But thats all we need. We just need a guy ready for the playoffs, whether it was Strahan or Osi.

And Shock, yes Kiwi was moved to LB to get our guys on the field, but it was also a long term solution as well. Bc you can't allocate money longterm to 3 stud DEs. Its impossible. So moving one to LB allows us to spread that money around more effectively.

I think Kiwi's future with the Giants long term is to be a LB/DE hybrid and we'll have a 3 headed monster on the dline on 3rd down. Thats our longterm blueprint even with Strahan gone.

scottyboy
08-25-2008, 08:35 AM
i'm not sure if I want Strahan back. He left on top, beloved by all with a ring. His last football memory is the Super Bowl win. He had fun last year and was able to walk away in pretty good health(for an NFL player). I love him, and would love to see him play in big blue next season, but I kinda want him to stay retired...

Also, last year, he was never going to really retire. I knew a good 2 weeks before his announcement he was playing. He was always going to play and kept working out to be in football shape. Now? he's still working out, but not to the extent he was last year. Not football workouts, just stay big kind of stuff...

NY+Giants=NYG
08-25-2008, 09:00 AM
Kiwanuka to replace Osi at DE
http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/giants/archives/2008/08/kiwanuka_to_rep.html#more

bigbluedefense
08-25-2008, 09:00 AM
i'm not sure if I want Strahan back. He left on top, beloved by all with a ring. His last football memory is the Super Bowl win. He had fun last year and was able to walk away in pretty good health(for an NFL player). I love him, and would love to see him play in big blue next season, but I kinda want him to stay retired...

Also, last year, he was never going to really retire. I knew a good 2 weeks before his announcement he was playing. He was always going to play and kept working out to be in football shape. Now? he's still working out, but not to the extent he was last year. Not football workouts, just stay big kind of stuff...

we want Strahan back. his legacy is cemented, even if he does come back.

scottyboy
08-25-2008, 09:14 AM
we want Strahan back. his legacy is cemented, even if he does come back.

oh yes, of course. I'm talking for him though. I'm kinda close to Strahan(he's like a family friend kinda, knows me, calls my grandparents, sent flowers to my grandpa's wake etc). I would feel kinda bad for him if he came back and we got anything but a repeat. He went out on top, and life is good for him. He's traveling around(yay! my aunt does that for him!) and he's able to relax and has an easy job at fox. i'm torn

TitleTown088
08-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Because ya know, we're actually serious. Shouldn't you be polishing Brett Favre's knob right now? Now that's a quality burn...

Let's hear it now like we heard it about Favre... Strahan is a Drama queen who's only in it for the money! Right...?

nah he just helping his buddies out.

Sniper
08-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Now that's a quality burn...

Let's hear it now like we heard it about Favre... Strahan is a Drama queen who's only in it for the money! Right...?

nah he just helping his buddies out.

Except it's completely different situations, and Strahan didn't say anything about un-retiring until asked about it. Favre's little game that he played for what, five seasons, was ******* annoying and all his fault. "Oh gee how much can I milk the spotlight for now that I'm not playing anymore?".

Your obsession with Favre is pathetic.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Except it's completely different situations, and Strahan didn't say anything about un-retiring until asked about it. Favre's little game that he played for what, five seasons, was ******* annoying and all his fault. "Oh gee how much can I milk the spotlight for now that I'm not playing anymore?".

I agree. Strahan was Osi's mentor. Osi always was Mini Strahan, and now that Osi is hurt, Strahan said depending on everything he may come back. That's a plus for him he would get more money, and gets to help out the team. But it didn't retire because of money, nor put the franchise through the stuff Favre did.

Jughead10
08-25-2008, 10:51 AM
I agree. Strahan was Osi's mentor. Osi always was Mini Strahan, and now that Osi is hurt, Strahan said depending on everything he may come back. That's a plus for him he would get more money, and gets to help out the team. But it didn't retire because of money, nor put the franchise through the stuff Favre did.

Eh, it's all about money. Strahan's crazy ***** ex-wife took half of it and he had been looking to get a raise ever since. But if this was to happen it would be the Giants crawling back to him. Completely different than Favre. Strahan would just be holding them up for the money they didn't give him the last two years.

Forenci
08-25-2008, 11:05 AM

I'm dead inside, if that answers your question.

Sigh, I love Osi too. Not just because he's a great player but he's also a great teammate and a fun guy in the locker room it seems like. My guess is Kiwi moves back to DE.

Hopefully Wynn can at least step up a bit if we need him too. Granted he's not close to the pass rusher Osi is, but he can at least be a stop gap.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Eh, it's all about money. Strahan's crazy ***** ex-wife took half of it and he had been looking to get a raise ever since. But if this was to happen it would be the Giants crawling back to him. Completely different than Favre. Strahan would just be holding them up for the money they didn't give him the last two years.

Strahan wanted more money that's not secret, and for alot more money would come back. But he and Osi are like attached to the hip. If it meant helping the Giants out AND getting paid more, he'd come back. So yeah it has to do with money to an extent and helping his team out too. But it's over now, it's a moot point, because Kiwi has been named the starter for Osi, broken by all the beat writers, who talked to TC. So all this is a wasted point.

bigbluedefense
08-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Pay Strahan!

Is there any hope Osi can come back for the playoffs? Or have they officially IR'ed him? The decision is a little sketchy if you ask me, Im surprised that this injury sidelined him an entire year. They might be hiding something.

Im really anxious to see what Kiwi does this year. I think he breaks out. He's so long, the guy has a ton of potential. He's no Osi, but similar to Osi with some development can become a beast.

awfullyquiet
08-25-2008, 05:19 PM
I hope kiwi can own. He's got the right place to do it.

CC.SD
08-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Haven't weighed in on this thread yet; it's a damn shame. Sorry Osi.

BTW Strahan shaking down the Giants for cash in their time of need? Not classy. Just ride into the sunset, man.

giantsfan
08-25-2008, 06:09 PM
My biggest question with kiwi is if he's still got the bulk to play as an every down DE. He's got the highest potential of any DE on our roster simply due to his incredible length and quickness, and has shown very well there in the past. If all's well he should dominate.

D-Unit
08-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Kiwi was very hyped up coming out of college. He dipped a bit in the draft, but was still a highly thought of player. He hasn't yet lived up to the hype, but the window is now open more than ever to finally show what kind of talent he is. I could forsee a 7-8 sack season from him, but the biggest problem for him is the mental game and committing too many misreads, misteps and/or penalties.

CC.SD
08-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Kiwi was very hyped up coming out of college. He dipped a bit in the draft, but was still a highly thought of player. He hasn't yet lived up to the hype, but the window is now open more than ever to finally show what kind of talent he is. I could forsee a 7-8 sack season from him, but the biggest problem for him is the mental game and committing too many misreads, misteps and/or penalties.

I think more than any other tandem in the NFL this year, Tuck and Kiwi will depend on the other's performance to get their numbers and make their impact. I think they could play some high end football if they learn to really work together.

BeerBaron
08-25-2008, 06:44 PM
I think more than any other tandem in the NFL this year, Tuck and Kiwi will depend on the other's performance to get their numbers and make their impact. I think they could play some high end football if they learn to really work together.

you know, just reading through that is a credit to the Giants it seems.

They've got to be teh only team in football where one starter from the previous season can retire and the other one get hurt for the entire year and STILL have 2 DE's with stud potential....

Still wouldn't hurt to have Strahan back though. They have the cap space to let him on for 1 year though...

awfullyquiet
08-25-2008, 06:46 PM
you know, just reading through that is a credit to the Giants it seems.

They've got to be teh only team in football where one starter from the previous season can retire and the other one get hurt for the entire year and STILL have 2 DE's with stud potential....

Still wouldn't hurt to have Strahan back though. They have the cap space to let him on for 1 year though...

yeah. its amazing.

CC.SD
08-25-2008, 06:56 PM
I've known Tuck was monstrous the day he ran down LT from behind after 40 yards and stopped him from having a 200 yard day. He took a great angle, but he could still MOVE for such a big guy. This was in 2005.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-25-2008, 07:59 PM
I've known Tuck was monstrous the day he ran down LT from behind after 40 yards and stopped him from having a 200 yard day. He took a great angle, but he could still MOVE for such a big guy. This was in 2005.

I remember that too! Trust me we all, as giants fans, were like who is that big guy running after him, and one we saw it was tuck we realized dude has sick speed for his size.

Reese reaches out to Strahan's agent
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2008/08/reese-reaches-out.html

Agnone said that Strahan wasn’t considering a return at all before his friend and former teammates, Osi Umenyiora, suffered a season-ending knee injury Saturday night. After seeing that, Agnone said, Strahan “feels the ship isn’t even out of the harbor and they’re already taking on the cannons. He feels like maybe he should jump back in there.”

NY+Giants=NYG
08-25-2008, 08:05 PM
Also, Osi is not IRed yet... Waiting for post surgery to know for sure.

Medical Issues with Umenyiora's Surgery

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=299769

Medical Issues with Umenyiora's Surgery
Rico : 3:56 pm
I am an anesthesiologist, and today I was in the OR doing knee scopes with a couple of our orthopedic surgeons / sports med docs. So I had to ask them about lateral meniscal tears. They had a few things to add that I have not seen posted on BBI, so I thought I would pass them on:

1) If you just remove the torn part of the meniscus, that is a minor surgery, and you are back in two weeks. If you repair the meniscus, it is 3 to 4 months, as has been posted here. But the key is whether you can do the repair in the first place. The MRI may show a tear that can be fixed, but that can be misleading. The real way to know what you're dealing with is when you see it in the OR. There is a chance (10% to 20% range) that this will be a tear that cannot be fixed, and then they would just have to remove the torn parts, and Osi could return in a few weeks (good for Osi in the short term, but bad for the long term).

2) If you do the full repair, there is about an 80% chance that it will work. Because the meniscus is non-vascular (poor blood supply), it doesn't heal well, and 20% of the people with this surgery never heal. In that case, you have to do surgery again 4 months later to remove the torn part of the meniscus. So even if Osi has the full repair, there is no guarantee he is back at full strength in 4 months, and he may end up having the more minor surgery after all.

Either way the Giants should probably wait until after the surgery to make any definitive moves re: IR, Strahan, etc.

eaglesfan_45
08-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Well, this helps my bet with Scottyboy at least. This is terrible for the Giants and their fans, however for the Eagles and their fans this is great news. I would never wish injury on anyone, but I have to say that I am quite happy with this news. The Giants lose their 2 best DE's 1 for forever and 1 for a year. Justin Tuck is now going to be relied on ALOT more. I don't like the move of Kiwi to DE just because I think he will be a force there, which is great for him, bad for Eagles fans. I think this is the first time I've ever been happy that someone was injured. :) :) :)

Giants losing Osi >> Eagles losing Curtis

BeerBaron
08-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Giants losing Osi >> Eagles losing Curtis

yeah, that may be true, but.....

The Giants have the ability to move Kiwi up in Osi's spot and still have 2 quality starting DE's with stud potential. They can also pull Strahan out of retirement if they so wish.....so there they bring back a future HoFer to help out in their rotation.

Behind Curtis the Eagles got what.....Hank Baskett?

eaglesfan_45
08-25-2008, 08:12 PM

The Giants have the ability to move Kiwi up in Osi's spot and still have 2 quality starting DE's with stud potential. They can also pull Strahan out of retirement if they so wish.....so there they bring back a future HoFer to help out in their rotation.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

How dare you forget the greatest WR in the NFL. DeSean Jackson!!!!!11!1

But seriously he has us Eagles fans salivating to see what he can do in the future. Best young WR the Eagles have had in a long time. He is showing some serious potential this pre-season and has shown enough to be promoted to starter in Curtis's and Brown's place.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-25-2008, 08:21 PM

It all depends on Osi's surgery. He has a chance of coming back, but that would mean his long term career would be in trouble.

BeerBaron
08-25-2008, 08:32 PM
It all depends on Osi's surgery. He has a chance of coming back, but that would mean his long term career would be in trouble.

just talking about the options. Behind their injured player, the Giants have a guy who was a major contributor in their superbowl run last year, a former first round pick who would move back to his natural spot, and, if they wanted to, could bring a future HoFer out of retirement.

I like those options better than what the Eagles have behind their injured player.

Damix
08-25-2008, 08:35 PM
I actually did some research when it happened and from what I have read everything Shockey+Manning has posted is true.

Just taking it out will let him get back earlier, but then you are grinding and pretty much every hit you take a minuscule part disappears, so eventually nothing is left (that could be 5 years, or 15 or whatever) you can still walk fine, but once its gone, or close to gone there will be no way you can play again

NY+Giants=NYG
08-25-2008, 08:58 PM
I actually did some research when it happened and from what I have read everything Shockey+Manning has posted is true.

Just taking it out will let him get back earlier, but then you are grinding and pretty much every hit you take a minuscule part disappears, so eventually nothing is left (that could be 5 years, or 15 or whatever) you can still walk fine, but once its gone, or close to gone there will be no way you can play again

Yeah it was going to be true. The guy who posted it is a doctor, lol. He posts on one of the other giants site.

That's the whole issue. He is not IRed as of now. One factor yields two outcomes.

1. If the meniscus can be fixed, then the recovery time is like 4 months and he will be IRed.

2. If the meniscus is badly damaged, then what they will do is remove it, and he will be back in 2 WEEKS! BUT.... long term prognosis is bad. He probably won't have a long Strahan like career, unless he is beyond lucky. He probably will be effective, but as the knee gets worse, he will have issues.

That's why we are waiting until tomorrow after the surgery to see how bad the tear is.

Fixable= IR

Not Fixable, means removing the meniscus= 2 weeks, minor surgery, no big deal, but long term career will be shot. Up to god or luck or whatever people want to label it.

BlindSite
08-26-2008, 01:07 AM

Give it a little while and imo they'll have someone named Anquan

Sniper
08-26-2008, 06:49 AM

Hank Baskett may not make the team. Our WR depth chart looks something like this.

1. Kevin Curtis
2. Reggie Brown
3. DeSean Jackson/Jason Avant
4. Jason Avant/DeSean Jackson
5. Hank Baskett/Greg Lewis
6. Greg Lewis/Hank Baskett

But the odds of Baskett/Lewis (whichever makes the team) of seeing the field this year are diminished by the acquisition of Lorenzo Booker and the awesomeness of Brian Westbrook. Booker will line up in the slot a lot, and Westbrook gets thrown to out of the backfield and in the slot.

However, I'd like it a lot better if some guy named Anquan joined the team

NY+Giants=NYG
08-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Today we find out if Osi is done for the year or just out for the month..

Damix
08-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Hank Baskett may not make the team. Our WR depth chart looks something like this.

1. Kevin Curtis
2. Reggie Brown
3. DeSean Jackson/Jason Avant
4. Jason Avant/DeSean Jackson
5. Hank Baskett/Greg Lewis
6. Greg Lewis/Hank Baskett

But the odds of Baskett/Lewis (whichever makes the team) of seeing the field this year are diminished by the acquisition of Lorenzo Booker and the awesomeness of Brian Westbrook. Booker will line up in the slot a lot, and Westbrook gets thrown to out of the backfield and in the slot.

However, I'd like it a lot better if some guy named Anquan joined the team

You guys announced Baskett will be starting with Curtis out. So yea, I think he makes the team.

Sniper
08-26-2008, 09:24 AM
You guys announced Baskett will be starting with Curtis out. So yea, I think he makes the team.

Wow completely missed that. Thanks for the heads up. I've been out of the Eagles loop for a couple days.

Addict
08-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Today we find out if Osi is done for the year or just out for the month..

here's to hoping he's only out a month, for the Giants' sakes.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-26-2008, 10:04 AM
here's to hoping he's only out a month, for the Giants' sakes.

Well that's the catch 22. If he is out for a month, then it means he can come back quicker, but his career is on the clock. His knee can't get better and will get worse. Soon Arthiritis kicks in if it's bone on bone, and then knee replacement further down the road.

TitleTown088
08-26-2008, 03:34 PM

Did you bother to read the last part of my post?

It was fairly obvious that my post was intentionally sarcastic. The last part was to clarify that, that he would be coming back to help his teamates when they needed him( and perhaps a little extra scratch wouldn't hurt).

bigbluedefense
08-26-2008, 03:38 PM
any news on his surgery?

Burns336
08-26-2008, 04:26 PM
On the bright side, at least Tuck can now be the focus of the D-line and be catapulted into stardom! just like I predicted.

bigbluedefense
08-26-2008, 04:30 PM
On the bright side, at least Tuck can now be the focus of the D-line and be catapulted into stardom! just like I predicted.

I felt that Tuck was getting more pub than Osi in the mainstream media already. Even though Osi was having the better TC and PS.

Osi is a more refined pass rusher. Tuck will go through some growing pains this year as a pass rusher.

Unless his sheer ogre-ism prevents us from noticing his technique issues.

TheBuffaloBills
08-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Lets say Mathias does the position change

Over/Under

7 sacks?

UKfan
08-26-2008, 04:41 PM
I felt that Tuck was getting more pub than Osi in the mainstream media already. Even though Osi was having the better TC and PS.

Osi is a more refined pass rusher. Tuck will go through some growing pains this year as a pass rusher.

Unless his sheer ogre-ism prevents us from noticing his technique issues.

I've never seen a more perfect adjective for Tuck, I like very much.

Damix
08-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Surgery was a success, which means he was put on IR.

bigbluedefense
08-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Surgery was a success, which means he was put on IR.

</3

I've never seen a more perfect adjective for Tuck, I like very much.

haha, he really is an ogre. he looks like a bad guy from the Lord Of The Rings movies.

BlindSite
08-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Lets say Mathias does the position change

Over/Under

7 sacks?

8 sacks I'd predict

Splat
08-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Report: Strahan to stay retired (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-giants-strahan&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Sorry if all ready posted didn't have time to read the last few pages.

bigbluedefense
08-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Report: Strahan to stay retired (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-giants-strahan&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Sorry if all ready posted didn't have time to read the last few pages.

<//////////////////////3

Well.....I guess we're gonna have to rely on our offense more this year. Our defense is built on a 3 DE rush. Our whole defense is based on our principles up front with our pressure.

Now let's see if Spags really is as good as advertised. He's gonna have to cook up some new stuff now.

BlindSite
08-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Agreed this will tell if Spag is really a top flight coordinator.

Number 10
08-26-2008, 06:43 PM
If the Giants defense remains a top notch unit, this will be the last year Spags will be in New York.

Splat
08-26-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm starting to think The G-Men are going to have a hard time making the playoffs if the Eagles step it up they could be in trouble.

bigbluedefense
08-26-2008, 06:45 PM
If the Giants defense remains a top notch unit, this will be the last year Spags will be in New York.

we can still be a top 10 defense.

Just not a top 3 like i was hoping for. I honestly thought we had a top 3 defense this year. Not anymore.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-26-2008, 09:30 PM
</3

haha, he really is an ogre. he looks like a bad guy from the Lord Of The Rings movies.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

He even runs like the Urakai! lol. Almost caught LT from behind couple years ago in SD.

Toneloc498
08-29-2008, 04:25 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

He even runs like the Urakai! lol. Almost caught LT from behind couple years ago in SD.

Almost?? He did! I remember the press conference afterwards and LDT being amazed at the speed that Tuck had to catch him from behind and take him down.

CC.SD
08-29-2008, 04:29 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Yeah, he got it done. Beast.