PDA

View Full Version : JBond's NFL Truths

Shane P. Hallam
08-24-2008, 03:27 PM
I took a crack at it.

1. The Oakland Raiders have a Top Ten defense – They have one of the best secondaries in the NFL. If DeAngelo Hall improves, man coverage will be incredible, and Michael Huff and Gibril Wilson is also good in the running game. Though there is not the personel to stop the run, I believe the Raiders LBs will only improve their tackling and the coverage will lead to sacks. In a division with two other less than stellar Qbs, the Raiders defense will keep them in games. Unfortunately, their offense may not allow the team to be successful. Coach Lane Kiffin is a great coach, too bad Al Davis doesn’t like him.

2. The Dolphins get at least 6 wins – The last two teams to go 1-15 improved the next year by at least 4 games. One even ended up 7-9. Miami has completely new offensive personel who can at least manage them to some wins. Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams create a good running game behind new LT Jake Long. Toss in one of the smartest Qbs in the NFL in Chad Pennington. The defense will lose them some games, but the Dolphins are far from the worst team in the NFL. They will improve, and likely have some surprise wins inside the division against Buffalo and New York.

3. The Head Coach seat is on fire (Lose double digit coaches)- The head coach carousel will be in full swing this offseason. Marvin Lewis, Lane Kiffin, Rod Marinelli, John Fox, Scott Linehan, and Mike Nolan all will be let go. We’ll also see some coaches bow out, including Tony Dungy, Jeff Fisher, Mike Shannahan, and Mike Holmgren. We will see a whole mess of new head coaches, likely including Billick, Dennis Green, Jim Mora Jr, Jim Caldwell, as well as some other former head coaches coming in. Also, don’t dismiss that Pete Carroll may offer his services if the Colts back down from hiring Jim Caldwell.

4. Jay Cutler cements himself as the next great QB- Though Denver can’t seem to do much else right anymore, Jay Cutler has shown the pose, athleticism, and physical tools to be the next great NFL QB. With weapons like Marshall, Scheffler, and Royal, Cutler will have plenty of opportunities to sling the ball around. With the division ripe for the taking, Cutler will have to carry Denver on his back to a division title. Look for him to have some big games and be the darling of the press.

5. The AFC North will be the second worst division in football – Well, the NFC West won’t give up the worst spot. But, the AFC North will take a big turn for the worst. The Ravens will be in shambles with little to no offense and an aging defense. The Bengals still will have locker room problems and a defense that can’t compete. Let’s talk about the top two teams though. The Browns will take a step back when Derek Anderson is not as effective and injuries likely plague some key positions. The secondary is still a major problem for the Browns and many teams will take advantage of it. The team may not make the strides many think they will. The Steelers also did not address their biggest issues, OL and secondary. They lack depth at a number of positions and have injury prone players. Though Big Ben will work hard, he will get sacked a lot, and the running game may suffer. The Steelers Lbs will keep them in games, but they will lose due to an extremely difficult schedule. We won’t see the wildcard out of this division, and the division winner won’t have a great record.

6. The Giants are solid, not spectacular – Even with Osi likely out, the Giants will stick to a good motto “do work.” They will stay in the background while Dallas and Minnesota get all the credit in the NFC. They will have some tough losses, but also will pull out some unexpected wins. They will make playoffs and possibly make another run at the Super Bowl. There will be no big fireworks on this team. A solid pass-rush, mauling rushing attack, and efficient passing will win them games. Kenny Phillips should come onto the scene and do well and help the Giants contend for the division once again.

7. DeAngelo Williams will hold off Jonathan Stewart – DeAngelo Williams finally gets his chance as the starter. Unfortunately, it comes with the baggage of first round pick Jonathan Stewart. Fox loves going with his vets, so Williams will start. I think he can immediately come in and be effective and hold Jonathan Stewart away from that starting spot for now. He has the ability, but has never really gotten the chance. Look out for Dwilliams.

8. The Year of the TE – TEs are going to make a giant impact on the league this year. Their role has continued to increase over time and this year it will explode. Gates, Winslow, Witten, Gonzalez, Clark, Cooley, Shockey, Crumpler, Daniels, Heap, Scheffler, Davis, Miller, Lee, Utecht, Olsen, Boss, Watson, and Lewis will all have increased roles in their offense. TEs are often tough to physically cover and their talent continues to rise. Look out for the year of the TEs.

9. The Packers-Vikings rivalry heats up. – Both teams are going to be good this year. Rodgers has looked great, Peterson and the Vikings defense are intimidating. Their rivalry will be rekindled with two incredible close games and a tight division race that tests both teams. With the media focus on Rodgers and Peterson, this rivalry should really sharpen up. Going to be fun!

10. Changing of the guard – Every year, teams unexpected to do well have great years and make the playoffs. Well, here is where I got out on the limbs.

1. Houston Texans will make the wildcard. Schaub is going to take the next step, and if Slaton shows something, their offense and defense will be solid. Tennessee and Jacksonville will take a step back, and Houston will come in a close 2nd to Indianapolis. I’m going with a 10-6 wildcard.

2. Arizona Cardinals will win the NFC West…barely. Repeating an 8-8 record will work for the Cardinals again as they will win the division by getting wins over division rivals. That is how bad the NFC West will be this season. With Warner starting at the helm, and Leinart eventually coming in, the offense won’t skip a beat. Edge and Hightower will be a good pair, and the second year in there defensive system will be successful.

3. Atlanta Falcons win the NFC South. That’s right, the Atlanta Falcons. Matt Ryan will be the best rookie QB since Ben Roethlisberger, and they will rely heavily on Michael Turner. The offense will be able to move the ball, as Roddy White, Laurent Robinson, and Michael Jenkins aren’t terrible Wrs. The defense will need some new players to step up to the plate, and if that happens, they can win it. I like Mike Smith as a head coach, and the rest of the division worries me. TB and Carolina I’m just not buying their offenses or defenses. New Orleans is the favorite, but if they get an injury or two, it could crush them. Atlanta will take advantage and win the division.

Predictions:

OROY: Matt Ryan
Runner-Up: Chris Johnson

DROY: Jerod Mayo
Runner-Up: Kenny Phillips

MVP: Adrian Peterson
Runner-Up: Tom Brady

DPOY: Mario Williams
Runner-Up: Bob Sanders

Comeback Player of the Year: Zach Thomas

AFC East: New England Patriots

AFC South: Indianapolis Colts

AFC North: Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC West: Denver Broncos

Wild Card: Houston Texans

Wild Card: Jacksonville Jaguars

NFC East: New York Giants

NFC South: Atlanta Falcons

NFC North: Minnesota Vikings

NFC West: Arizona Cardinals

Wild Card: Dallas Cowboys

Wild Card: Green Bay Packers

Wildcard

Pittsburgh vs. Jacksonville: Winner: Pittsburgh

Houston vs. Denver: Winner: Houston

Green Bay vs. Atlanta: Winner: Green Bay

Dallas vs. Arizona: Winner: Dallas

Divisional

Houston vs. New England: Winner: New England

Pittsburgh vs. Indianapolis: Winner: Indianapolis

Green Bay vs. Minnesota: Winner: Minnesota

Dallas vs. New York Giants: Winner: Dallas

Conference

Indianapolis vs. New England: Winner: New England

Minnesota vs. Dallas: Winner: Minnesota

CC.SD
08-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Wow, the AFC West is up for the taking, and the Chargers miss the playoffs. Okay, sure thing. Great thoughts.

Dave
08-24-2008, 03:33 PM
This is the year Dallas wins a playoff game huh?

We'll see.

Rob S
08-24-2008, 03:33 PM
wow, vikes in the superbowl......we differ bigtime there.

Geo
08-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Put me down for saying the Chargers win the division by three games, at least.

abaddon41_80
08-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Some bold predictions you have here

bored of education
08-24-2008, 03:37 PM
I agree about Riaders, Cutlers and Vikes.

I like Denver winning the West as well.

NIce post JBondage

CC.SD
08-24-2008, 03:39 PM
I agree about Riaders, Cutlers and Vikes.

I like Denver winning the West as well.

NIce post JBondage

Denver and the Great Jay Cutler put up 6 points in two games against the Chargers this last year. If they win the division I will cut Joker scars into my face.

scottyboy
08-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Denver and the Great Jay Cutler put up 6 points in two games against the Chargers this last year. If they win the division I will cut Joker scars into my face.

you also think you're D is still dominant without Merriman and random guys off the bench will be studs...

but Bond, you give me hope. I hope you're right. I just want a playoff appearance. Without Osi, we're not going to repeat, but a playoff shot is not out of the question, despite what our loveable doo-doo heads on IRC think...

Bengalsrocket
08-24-2008, 03:47 PM

Teams change, you don't need to get defensive just because someone finally has the chargers losing the division.

Shane P. Hallam
08-24-2008, 03:51 PM
I have to take risks right? No fun without it. I'm just not excited about SD's passing game nor their defense as a whole yet. I'd def. be willing to discuss any of these.

As for predictions, you can take them a bit lightly. But, I do think Dallas could win a playoff game if they are the underdog, and Minnesota could def. squeak into the Super Bowl

Dave
08-24-2008, 03:53 PM
I also think this is the year for Dallas to win at least one playoff game. Dallas vs Minnesota could be a scary good game to watch.

Geo
08-24-2008, 03:55 PM
you also think you're D is still dominant without Merriman and random guys off the bench will be studs...

but Bond, you give me hope. I hope you're right. I just want a playoff appearance. Without Osi, we're not going to repeat, but a playoff shot is not out of the question, despite what our loveable doo-doo heads on IRC think...
Eli to Crabtree, start hearing it now, scotty.

Just kidding, of course.

Dr. Gonzo
08-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Good on you for going out on a few limbs. I agree with almost everything you wrote.

CC.SD
08-24-2008, 04:14 PM

I think that because there's a lot of talented guys not named Merriman on the Charger D, and they're not getting enough credit.

You're right Bond, you gotta take risks. But the Bolts missing the playoffs...well a whole lot of things would have to go wrong.

Does your concern about the Bolts passing game just boil down to Rivers? I ask because I don't think it's a receiver issue; Chambers and Jackson have shown their stuff, Gates is Gates (he's practicing again, will be fine for the season), and the complimentary guys are talented also.

I can understand the concern given how we started last year, but let's take a look at it: He was adjusting to a new system, and his O-line was playing badly. Poor combo. The second half of the system, his rating was 90+, with no losses, and then he took over in all 3 of our playoff games, leading the Chargers to 2 wins. He did that without LT or Gates no less.

Overall, you're right Rocket, I am being too defensive; it certainly seems like many have been very eager to jump off the Chargers wagon though; that's fine with me, I'll quiet down and let the play do the talking.

Finally...Jyles Tucker FTW! 3 sacks, 2 FF, 1 FR for a touchdown...in Week 17. He's just fast as hell coming off the edge, and that's all there is to it.

Xonraider
08-24-2008, 04:22 PM
I hope Raiders get a top 10 defense and a top 10 rushing game. That'd be very good.

I disagree on the Broncos winning the division though. I truly think Oakland wins it if San Diego doesn't do well due to the injuries, etc. That is if we can get a passing game.

BrownsTown
08-24-2008, 04:24 PM
Browns having an overrated QB and a crappy secondary didn't stop them from getting a 10-6 record last year...

Crickett
08-24-2008, 04:26 PM
I have one question.

Other than Kansas City, what team in the NFL can you positively say is worse than Miami? They added Jake Long and Chad Pennington, but they also got rid of Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas.

Gay Ork Wang
08-24-2008, 04:36 PM
I have one question.

Other than Kansas City, what team in the NFL can you positively say is worse than Miami? They added Jake Long and Chad Pennington, but they also got rid of Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas.
chicago bears

CC.SD
08-24-2008, 04:43 PM
I have one question.

Falcons? God Michael Turner's such a beast though. Miami will do okay, especially for a team at step 1 of rebuilding.

Gay Ork Wang
08-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Falcons? God Michael Turner's such a beast though. Miami will do okay, especially for a team at step 1 of rebuilding.
well he expects the falcons to win the NFC South...

CC.SD
08-24-2008, 04:49 PM
well he expects the falcons to win the NFC South...

I was quoting and responding to Crickett's post.

diabsoule
08-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Browns having an overrated QB and a crappy secondary didn't stop them from getting a 10-6 record last year...

They also had an easy schedule.

BlindSite
08-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Everything else I agreed with. Other than the fact that you think a team without an offensive line, with half a defensive line, half a secondary and both a running back and QB who've never played 16 NFL games can beat anyone in the NFC South.

Shane P. Hallam
08-24-2008, 05:08 PM
I have one question.

Well, we positively don't know who is worse. I think St. Louis, San Fran, Baltimore, and Carolina all could definitely do worse than the Dolphins.

BrownsTown
08-24-2008, 05:08 PM
They also had an easy schedule.

Easy, somewhat. But wouldn't the acquisitions to the D-line improve the team enough to offset that?

BlindSite
08-24-2008, 05:18 PM
The Browns had everything fall into place except the playoffs last year. Sure they improved this offseason with a shiny new Burner for a WR and a nice new DT, but that's not enough to offset the immense schedule they're facing this year.

BrownsTown
08-24-2008, 05:20 PM
The Browns had everything fall into place except the playoffs last year. Sure they improved this offseason with a shiny new Burner for a WR and a nice new DT, but that's not enough to offset the immense schedule they're facing this year.

Playing well is everything falling into place? I think they realized they had the tough schedule and they avoided injuries. That might be why they added depth all over, especially on the oline, and traded for two very good (especially Williams) D lineman.

Caddy
08-24-2008, 06:51 PM
You make me laugh Jbond. The Falcons in the playoffs. LOL

BlindSite
08-24-2008, 06:58 PM
I don't think he realises just how bad their roster is, all but one of their play makers was released, arrested or traded away.

diabsoule
08-24-2008, 07:19 PM
I don't think he realises just how bad their roster is, all but one of their play makers was released, arrested or traded away.

They still have Roddy White and Michael Boley.

SenorGato
08-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Besides for the Raiders top 10 D and the Falcons love...I like these alot.

Great call on the TE's...don't ignore safeties in this...the difference between the SS and FS is dying....now teams just want too good safeties....actually shouldn't ignore the G position either...

Shane P. Hallam
08-24-2008, 07:27 PM
You can make fun, but honestly, people would have made fun last year if you had said TB would win the division, etc, etc. Maybe the surprise team is SF, Oakland, or Detroit, someone else. I'm going with Atlanta. BlindSite criticized because they have unproven talent. Very true. I'll take my chance on unproven talent rather than talent that is mediocre and one hopes for improvement. I believe Michael Turner can be a Top 5 RB in the NFL. Toss in a compliment like Norwood, and you may have a very good running game. I really like Sam Baker and I think he can be successful. Toss in a few other random O-lineman and it may be "good enough." I think Matt Ryan is a future great QB as well. If he shows that this year with Roddy White, Laurent Robinson and Michael Jenkins, the passing game should suffice to manage games.

Looking at the defense, they have excellent LBs, and can still create a pass rush. If Abraham stays healthy, I'd watch out for the pass rush as well. If Atlanta can find someone to step up in that secondary, they can win games. Chris Houston can be successful, and Chevis Jackson and David Irons fit pretty well. I'm interested to see if one can step up. Toss in solid safeties like Milloy and Coleman, and maybe they can do something. Run stopping will still be tough. We'll see if Babineaux and Jamaal Anderson step up this year. If so, that may be the difference. I took a risk. It may pay off. It may not.

As for the Browns, it isn't that they overachieved last year, it's just that they were new and different. After teams watch tape on Derek Anderson and with the loss of Leigh Bodden, I think the Browns could get hit big time.

Menardo75
08-24-2008, 07:39 PM
I still can't see Arizona winning the NFC West they are not consistant enough

Breaker
08-24-2008, 07:40 PM
You make me laugh Jbond. The Falcons in the playoffs. LOL

From 2003 to 2007, the team that finished in last place in the division year has, the next season, finished in first place. Carolina finished last in 2002, and first in 2003. Atlanta finished last in 2003, and first in 2004. Tampa Bay finished last in 2004, and first in 2005. New Orleans finished last in 2005, and finished first in 2006. Tampa Bay, who finished last in 2006, finished first in 2007. If the trend continues in 2008, it would be Atlanta Falcons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_Conference_South_Division

Don't underestimate the mysterious power of the NFC South. Or the myth that is Matt Ryans.

I like how only the fans from the NFC South have a problem with that prediction and everyone else is looking past it like they already know it's going to happen. Just accept it now guys, or else you'll be in denial the whole season.

Anyways, I dig the post and predictions. The only thing I would change is the Denver winning the AFC West. I still don't think the Broncos is better then the Chargers, even if it's without Merrimen. They're still more of a complete team then Denver. Other then that, everything looks good.

kalbears13
08-24-2008, 08:08 PM

Well the Browns have the weakest schedule in the AFC North and the Steelers have the strongest schedule in the league. All the Browns have to do is get a better record than the Steelers (and possibly the Bengals or Ravens [I'm not counting them out yet]) and then they make it into the playoffs. It could be 7-9 but I will still be happy about it. It will be an improvement from last year. At the beginning of the year they were seen to have one of the tougher schedules but looking back now it looks as easy as pie.

Menardo75
08-24-2008, 08:12 PM
What have the Browns done to help there secondary?

kalbears13
08-24-2008, 08:33 PM
What have the Browns done to help there secondary?

Losses:
Daven Holly: Injury
Leigh Bodden: Trade
Gary Baxter: Old Injury
Kenny Wright: Caught by Police

Additions:
Terry Cousin

some UDFA's and young FA's...

Let's just hope McDonald and Wright can play.

Geo
08-24-2008, 08:35 PM
They recently traded for Travis Daniels from the Dolphins.

LonghornsLegend
08-24-2008, 10:20 PM
If we got the Cardinals in the 1st round and lost I would kill myself, no other way to put it.

If you truly think the Falcons are winning the division you should find a bookie and bet $100, you would probably come out a rich man if you got that right, I don't think Ryan is THAT ready...Typically when you look for the next QB to lead a team like Big Ben did, he needs a defense to lean on not necessarily the running game, and the Falcons D is probably two years away from being dominant enough for the QB to lean on...That secondary will be getting torched more then likely, I just can't see Matt Ryan winning shootouts weekly to win the division....But props for not going out on a limb and saying the Saints would win lol.

princefielder28
08-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Really going out on a limb with Atlanta and unfortunately that will break quick with a tough schedule; otherwise good stuff

diabsoule
08-24-2008, 10:34 PM
They recently traded for Travis Daniels from the Dolphins.

... Championship.

America
08-24-2008, 10:42 PM
I have one question.

Ravens, and I'm a diehard fan. Dolphins D has been stout in preseason, and Ricky and Ronnie are going to add some punch to their offense, which has been reformed into an efficient machine.

JBond, one suggestion - with Ricky starting in Miami, it'll be hard to keep the former Heisman winner from getting the comeback player of the year.

Shane P. Hallam
08-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Ravens, and I'm a diehard fan. Dolphins D has been stout in preseason, and Ricky and Ronnie are going to add some punch to their offense, which has been reformed into an efficient machine.

JBond, one suggestion - with Ricky starting in Miami, it'll be hard to keep the former Heisman winner from getting the comeback player of the year.

I think it will be very easy due to off the field issues and Ronnie will get a good amount of carries.

Iamcanadian
08-24-2008, 11:19 PM
You can make fun, but honestly, people would have made fun last year if you had said TB would win the division, etc, etc. Maybe the surprise team is SF, Oakland, or Detroit, someone else. I'm going with Atlanta. BlindSite criticized because they have unproven talent. Very true. I'll take my chance on unproven talent rather than talent that is mediocre and one hopes for improvement. I believe Michael Turner can be a Top 5 RB in the NFL. Toss in a compliment like Norwood, and you may have a very good running game. I really like Sam Baker and I think he can be successful. Toss in a few other random O-lineman and it may be "good enough." I think Matt Ryan is a future great QB as well. If he shows that this year with Roddy White, Laurent Robinson and Michael Jenkins, the passing game should suffice to manage games.

Looking at the defense, they have excellent LBs, and can still create a pass rush. If Abraham stays healthy, I'd watch out for the pass rush as well. If Atlanta can find someone to step up in that secondary, they can win games. Chris Houston can be successful, and Chevis Jackson and David Irons fit pretty well. I'm interested to see if one can step up. Toss in solid safeties like Milloy and Coleman, and maybe they can do something. Run stopping will still be tough. We'll see if Babineaux and Jamaal Anderson step up this year. If so, that may be the difference. I took a risk. It may pay off. It may not.

As for the Browns, it isn't that they overachieved last year, it's just that they were new and different. After teams watch tape on Derek Anderson and with the loss of Leigh Bodden, I think the Browns could get hit big time.

Anyway you want to coat it, Atlanta has absolutely zero chance of making the playoffs. Besides starting a rookie at QB, they simply lack the talent even with a solid QB to make any kind of a run. They will struggle to win 4 games.

As for the Browns, this is a schedule/QB league and they had an easy schedule last year but are facing a rather tough schedule this year. Their starting lineup is decent but they are a very young team overall and lack depth to overcome injuries. I think they fall back a bit but then again, nobody is completely over powering in their Division so they do have a chance if they can limit their injuries.

TitanHope
08-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Jeff Fisher just received an extension, so I dunno how he'd step down after the first year and breach the contract. Plus, he has a team that made the Playoffs last year, is a borderline playoff team entering the season, and has proven, young players at key positions. He's not even that old, and I think is in his early to mid-50's. What's the motivation?

Vikes99ej
08-24-2008, 11:25 PM
They still have Roddy White and Michael Boley.

And John Abraham.

LonghornsLegend
08-24-2008, 11:37 PM
That would be one helluva 'told ya so' at the end of the season if it happened though :D

Shane P. Hallam
08-24-2008, 11:54 PM
Anyway you want to coat it, Atlanta has absolutely zero chance of making the playoffs. Besides starting a rookie at QB, they simply lack the talent even with a solid QB to make any kind of a run. They will struggle to win 4 games.

As for the Browns, this is a schedule/QB league and they had an easy schedule last year but are facing a rather tough schedule this year. Their starting lineup is decent but they are a very young team overall and lack depth to overcome injuries. I think they fall back a bit but then again, nobody is completely over powering in their Division so they do have a chance if they can limit their injuries.

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure no team in the NFL has "zero" chance of making the playoffs. Man, these NFC South fans are angry!

Had I said this about any other team that was last in their division (Ravens, Dolphins, Texans, Raiders, Eagles, Bears, Falcons, Rams,) I'd be catching some flack. Tossing out the .500 teams (Texans and Eagles,) one of the others WILL be making the playoffs guaranteed.

The Cleveland Browns went 4-12 one year ago, and they barely missed the playoffs. Your own Bucs went 4-12 that same season. And guess what? They won the division last year.

Let's yonder back to 2005. The Jets went 4-12 and they were wildcards the next year. The New Orleans Saints at 3-13 turned it around to win the division.

Should we keep going? Sure. 2004. Redskins go 6-10, make the playoffs the next year. Panthers go 7-9 and end up winning the division in 05.

It happens every year! Maybe I'm wrong about Atlanta (and god knows that is likely,) but out of the Falcons, Ravens, Dolphins, Bears, Rams, and Raiders, I'm taking the chance on one of the most "unknown" teams in the NFL and hoping they pull through.

Draft King
08-25-2008, 12:03 AM
There is a lot of "ifs" on the Falcons roster right now. We will do well "if" Brent Grimes plays in the season like he practices, Matt Ryan shows that he deserved the # 3 pick, Sam Baker can actually protect the left side, Roddy White continues his improvement from his 2007 campaign, Jamaal Anderson decides that his fat ass actually wants a sack, our injury prone players (John Abraham, Jerious Norwood, etc) actually hold up. There is more but I'm just too lazy to name them all, I see us with the potential to possibly make the playoffs, but more realistically I would be happy with a 6-7 win season.

Menardo75
08-25-2008, 12:46 AM
The Falcons based on the stats should win it this year though it is hard to argue with the numbers

diabsoule
08-25-2008, 01:05 AM
The Falcons based on the stats should win it this year though it is hard to argue with the numbers

They won't win this year. I guarantee it.

BlindSite
08-25-2008, 01:49 AM
It would take the simultaneous melt down of every team in the division and completely unforeseen and unpredicted maturation of every player on their team.

scottyboy
08-25-2008, 07:40 AM

you have Raymell Rice. His juicy thighs will carry the Ravens to not the worst record.

Iamcanadian
08-25-2008, 08:48 AM

Miami is certainly an improved team from last year especially with Pennington at QB. However preseason records can be very misleading as losing teams that have a huge turnover in players often play their starters longer than other teams as they try to workout the problems. Many a weak team has gone 4-0 in the preseason only to start he season 0-4, just as many a good team has gone 0-4 in the preseason only to go on to the playoffs.
I'd hold off on thinking Miami has turned the corner until they actual show they can produce once the season gets underway.

Shane P. Hallam
08-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Depends how you define turn the corner. Hell, I haven't even looked at Miami's preseason, but they will improve this year considerably record wise.

America
08-25-2008, 12:24 PM
you have Raymell Rice. His juicy thighs will carry the Ravens to not the worst record.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Raymell, and Brian Leonard, and most of all Tres Moses. But our passing game is atrocious and the line is awful. Our D is inconsistent and if injuries stack up, it's gonna be bad. I don't have high expectations for the year. Plus, Miami beat us last year anyways.

Trivia
08-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Jerod Mayos the man
only 82 in madden :(
the falcons wont make it to the playoffs this year
they are missing Dlo hall the fastest corner ever

DeathbyStat
08-25-2008, 03:18 PM
If i agree with one thing that you said its that the AFC North will be the worst division in football.

The scedule is simply horrific.

The winner will be either the steelers or Cleveland with each having a record of 9-7 or worse

ShutDwn
08-25-2008, 03:32 PM
DeAngelo will be the "starter", but the carries will be close to 55%/45% in my opinion. No need to worry about them getting upset about them though, they have a good relationship an appear to be friends.

bored of education
08-25-2008, 04:04 PM
I know some truths about JBond. Thread will be up shortly!

ATLDirtyBirds
08-25-2008, 04:12 PM
If DeAngelo improves? He's already godly. And I don't think the Falcons will win the South, but they will surprise.

Shane P. Hallam
08-25-2008, 06:22 PM
If i agree with one thing that you said its that the AFC North will be the worst division in football.

The scedule is simply horrific.

The winner will be either the steelers or Cleveland with each having a record of 9-7 or worse

Well, the NFC West really has to take the cake on that one.

CC.SD
08-25-2008, 06:26 PM

At least they pad their win totals by beating up on each other sometimes. The north did get wallopped by the schedule, especially the Steelers.

Shane P. Hallam
08-25-2008, 06:27 PM
At least they pad their win totals by beating up on each other sometimes. The north did get wallopped by the schedule, especially the Steelers.

Well, every division has to win against each other. But yeah, the .600 winning percentage makes me cry at nights.

CC.SD
08-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Well, every division has to win against each other. But yeah, the .600 winning percentage makes me cry at nights.

I know how you feel. In 2005 the Chargers drew the toughest sked in the league and proceeded to lose 5 of their games by a TD or less (usually less...one time an insurance field goal got blocked and returned for a touchdown FTW, thanks iggles); they went 9-7 and missed the playoffs. So close, so painful.

Shane P. Hallam
08-26-2008, 10:57 AM
But, you never know which teams will be good or bad. So who knows, maybe we will get lucky!

oldLibid21
08-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Jerod Mayos the man
only 82 in madden :(
the falcons wont make it to the playoffs this year
they are missing Dlo hall the fastest corner ever

I don't really believe Hall was a game changer in any of the games last year. He was a cancer to this team, so it was better to just let go of him. Grimes fits much better with what Smith wants our team to look like in terms of work ethic and attitude.

yourfavestoner
08-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Miami is certainly an improved team from last year especially with Pennington at QB. However preseason records can be very misleading as losing teams that have a huge turnover in players often play their starters longer than other teams as they try to workout the problems. Many a weak team has gone 4-0 in the preseason only to start he season 0-4, just as many a good team has gone 0-4 in the preseason only to go on to the playoffs.
I'd hold off on thinking Miami has turned the corner until they actual show they can produce once the season gets underway.

Not only that, but bad teams usually do well in the preseason because there are more position battles, causing them to play better and harder instead of just going through the motions.

BlindSite
08-26-2008, 04:58 PM
I don't really believe Hall was a game changer in any of the games last year. He was a cancer to this team, so it was better to just let go of him. Grimes fits much better with what Smith wants our team to look like in terms of work ethic and attitude.

I think its the falcons filter turned up a notch with a lot of the guys there now. Hall was a good player but not many corners are worth what he seemed to be in the locker room.

Menardo75
08-26-2008, 06:32 PM

Yeah that much is true sadly lol if every team played to there potential maybe it would be ok but thats never happens

d34ng3l021
08-26-2008, 08:42 PM
It would take the simultaneous melt down of every team in the division and completely unforeseen and unpredicted maturation of every player on their team.

Teams have broken down numerous times in the division and matured alot within a season. I wouldnt call it a massive stretch (its not nearly the same as other #4 teams moving up to #1). The south is just really unpredictable.

BlindSite
08-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Yeah, but still I don't see Sam Baker becoming an all-pro in his rookie season and I really don't see the defense, especially in the secondary and at the De position being good enough to win the south.

d34ng3l021
08-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Yeah, but still I don't see Sam Baker becoming an all-pro in his rookie season and I really don't see the defense, especially in the secondary and at the De position being good enough to win the south.

I have been surprised by his performance in the preseason. Alot better than I think.

Obviously it probably wont happen. I am just saying that after finishing 4th, the Falcons have the highest chance of any team that finished 4th to finish 1st (save NFC East).

ATLDirtyBirds
08-27-2008, 08:06 AM

Um, what? Not a game changer? When you pretty much lock up one side of the field, that's pretty game changing. Just because he didn't have as many picks as Cro doesn't mean he wasn't a game changer. And none of us can really know if he was a cancer. We didn't reside in the locker room. All he did was bash a coach, who was obviously a major POS in the end.