PDA

View Full Version : Matt Ryan Named Week 1 Starter

jballa838
08-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Thoughts?
Source: ESPN Mobile Alert.

SuperKevin
08-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Notime like the present to make Ryan earn that enormous paycheck. Even as an untested rookie he gives them a better chance to compete than Chris Redman does

BlindSite
08-24-2008, 05:17 PM
I agree. If they realise that they only have a shot at 3-4 wins this year and game plan intelligently with things he can recognise and execute it shouldn't be too bad of a year for him.

I'm still expecting the idiots to be calling him a bust when he throws 0 TDs and 2 INTs, but every rookie QB is going to do that.

Dam8610
08-24-2008, 05:29 PM
He's looked like the real deal so far, if he can improve his decision making (a LOT), he could be the real deal.

bored of education
08-24-2008, 06:17 PM
I wish the Chiefs would trade dorsey and Croyle for him. and next years 7th round pick :)

TheBuffaloBills
08-24-2008, 06:23 PM
I think it is a great move..... Sure he may be called a bust here and there, but experience is priceless for a rookie QB.

BamaFalcon59
08-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Awesomeness.

He has looked very calm and collected, along with being a leader, throughout training camp and preseason.

yourfavestoner
08-24-2008, 07:22 PM
In four preseason games, I'd say that he already looks better throwing than Vince Young or Matt Leinart. He sees the levels of the field very well, and understands what defenses are doing. He's just not used to NFL speed yet.

Kid is gonna be a baller.

Menardo75
08-24-2008, 07:41 PM
No reason not to start him from what we have seen so far

OzTitan
08-24-2008, 08:50 PM
He has looked good this preseason for a rookie but he is also throwing just over 5 yards per attempt so I expect the INT's to start coming when the real games do as that will likely need to go up with longer passes or D's may start keying in on the short stuff. I think he'll throw his fair share of TD's though. I can see a 3200y, 16TD-20INT type season.

BamaFalcon59
08-24-2008, 09:01 PM
He has looked good this preseason for a rookie but he is also throwing just over 5 yards per attempt so I expect the INT's to start coming when the real games do as that will likely need to go up with longer passes or D's may start keying in on the short stuff. I think he'll throw his fair share of TD's though. I can see a 3200y, 16TD-20INT type season.

He has been doing nearly all three step drops. That is why his yard per attempt is so low.

Brent
08-24-2008, 09:45 PM
I hope he does well.

d34ng3l021
08-24-2008, 11:43 PM
The only problem I have is whether or not the rest of the offense will be ready. We have a lot of new members on the offensive line, and I would have liked for them to be given time to adjust and gel together before Matt Ryan started. That was my only concern.

As for Matt Ryan starting, I think that is fine. He is very intelligent and learns very quickly, so the more game experience he has to learn from, the better. A lot of people will probably be calling for his head throughout the season, but I hope he can be Peyton Manning esque in his rookie season (and career for that matter).

BamaFalcon59
08-24-2008, 11:45 PM
JMO, but I'm not worried much about our offense. I think it will be fine.

Our defense is what I'm worried about. If that is good, then I can see a .500 season. If it is bad, as I expect, then I see 5-11.

Bengalsrocket
08-25-2008, 01:45 AM
I really like Matt Ryan. When he first got drafted a lot of analyst said that he wouldn't stack up against the 1st QB's taken in previous drafts, but I disagreed then and still do. He's going to be a great QB if he just takes everything slowly.

I know that typically young QB's come out and try to do things they cannot do, or do not understand how to do, but I think Matt Ryan is intelligent enough to not try to overdo himself.

As far as the falcons go, I don't think this changes their season either way. They don't have a ton of depth at receiver (though I like Roddy White a lot) and they don't have have that great of a defense. They could -possibly- pound the ball enough to have a respectable season considering their situation, but it seems like it'd be a waste to overwork any of their runners. If I was in their situation I'd strictly work on building team chemistry and getting some experience for those young guys. If you look at Matty Ryan, Michael Turner, Jerious Norwood, Roddy White and the several other big name players on that offense you'll see they're all still really young.

Anyways, heres to hoping that the future of Matt Ryan and the Atlanta Falcons is bright!

Shiver
08-25-2008, 02:30 AM
I disagree about receiver depth. There is uncertainty, but the talent is there. I am more worried about the O-Line than I am at WR.

d34ng3l021
08-25-2008, 02:41 AM
I disagree about receiver depth. There is uncertainty, but the talent is there. I am more worried about the O-Line than I am at WR.

Yeah. I actually like our WRs alot. Laurent looks like a good 2, and Douglas seems as if he will be able to contribute as a number 3 right away (and for a long time). Jenkins and Finneran should be able to provide some good first down catches or touchdown catches once in a while.

I was very worried about our offensive line before the preseason, but the preseason has given me hope that the OL might be decent.

ATLDirtyBirds
08-25-2008, 06:51 AM
I've always been in favor of him earning his money, insteading of making millions to study. Throw him out there, let him compete and be ready next year, when you are hopefully planning on adding some more pieces to win something. Plus, if this was an open QB competition, he's won it fair anyway.