PDA

View Full Version : d34ng3l021's 10 NFL Truths

d34ng3l021
08-25-2008, 12:18 AM
1. Giants falling from grace? I donít think so.
It seems as if everyone is predicting the Giants to miss playoffs or not do so well in the regular season or post season. I am going to disagree. Even with the retirement of Michael Strahan, the Giants are one of the best pass rushing teams in the NFL, and such a trait goes a long way in winning games. I think despite the Coughlin issues, this team has great chemistry and it should carry over from their Superbowl run, thus priming themselves to do serious damage in the playoffs again. I donít expect another SB title or even NFCCG appearance, but I do see them making the playoffs and putting up a good fight. The Giants offense completely rides on Eli Manningís arm and decision making skills, and I think Manning has made a step from being one of the inconsistent QBs to a decent one that makes less errors (I could be completely wrong however).

2. The Vikings look pretty good.
Like the Giants, the Vikingís defensive line is going to be a large reason for their success. After having the best defensive tackle combination for the past couple of years with Pat and Kevin Williams, they have added a top 3 defensive end. Kevin Williamsí pass rushing ability requires 2 people to block. Pat Williamsí body requires 2 people to block. Jared Allenís 15.5 sacks and 10 PDs in 14 games will also need a lot of attention. The offenses will basically have to pick their poison. On the offensive side of the ball, you have a more experienced Adrian Peterson and the chance that he stays healthy for the entire season. AD by many is regarded as one of the most talented players in the NFL and Minnesotaís left side of the OL is regarded as the best run blocking line. Itís a combination made in heaven, and it is very deadly. Whether or not the Vikings can make the Superbowl will have to depend on Tarvaris Jacksonís development as a QB. He wonít be asked to do too much, but he will have to limit the mistakes and turnovers that could hurt the offense and running game. EDIT: I hope Jacksonís injury isnít too serious.

3. The Texans will make playoffs this year.
A lot of people seem to be riding the Texans coattails, but I liked them for the past couple of years and these recent years have been somewhat of a disappointment. I think this year or next year, things will change. Here is why I am excited for this team: Mario Williams, Amobi Okoye, Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub. Once again, you see me focused on the defensive line with Mario Williams and Amobi Okoye, but I think these 2 players are going to make a huge impact for the Texans (Öand the NFL). Mario Williams already had his breakout season, but signs showed that he just may continue that dominance. Williams accumulated 10 sacks in the last 7 games of the year, and only went 1 game without a sack during that span. Thatís impressive. You look at 21 year old Amobi Okoye who had 5 sacks within the first 9 games and think how he would be if he didnít hit a rookie wall. Can you imagine both these players playing at their best for the entire season? Just as much as Mario Williams and Amobi Okoye help each other out, you can see the same sort of connection between Schaub and Andre Johnson. All throughout camp last year it seemed as if Schaub and Johnson were forming great chemistry together. I think Andre Johnson had his 2nd break out season (where good players establish themselves as great) last year, despite missing 7 games. Andre Johnson displayed the speed he has always had to go deep and continued to show how he is a YAC beast. If both these players stay healthy, I fully expect Andre Johnson to break some sort of record.

4. Predictions
MVP: Ben Roethlisberger. I wanted to be different here. Tony Romo and Brian Westbrook sound like really good choices. Big Ben has a good shot of his own though.

OPotY: Brian Westbrook. I see another outstanding season from this guy. Especially if McNabb is healthy throughout the season.

DPotY: DeMarcus Ware. I think this season, Ware will finally get the hardware over Merriman. Ware does a terrific job rushing the passer, playing against the run, and is very good in coverage for a 3-4 OLB.

CotY: Gary Kubiak. I will be agreeing with Bsaza on this one. I see the Texans primed for a breakout season, and a lot will have to do with Kubiakís great coaching.

ORotY: Darren McFadden. I am going to be different and not pick Matt Forte, despite his high chances. I really like McFadden in Oakland. He is the perfect fit for the ZBS employed by Alex Gibbs in Oakland, and I expect big numbers (maybe not big numbers if he doesnít get enough carries. At least an awesome YPC) out of him in his rookie season.

DRotY: Keith Rivers. Very athletic and smart LB gets drafted by a team who lacks defensive playmakers. Just give it to him now.

5. Matt Ryan and Roddy White
Well you know I had to have a homer one (I didnít even pick Lofton as DRotY). All I am saying here, is donít sleep on these guys. Every single article I read about Ryan, every single video I watch on him, he looks good. He seems to be a different make at QB than the recent guys. He isnít exploding with talent, athleticism, or potential. His arm and accuracy and mobility are nothing to write home about at all. They are all about average, maybe slightly above average, but nothing compared to the likes of JaMarcus Russell or Carson Palmer. What traits Matt Ryan brings to the table are completely different. He brings a great work ethic, a lot of confidence, and a drive to win to the table. He continuously makes strides in the film room by being there so much. He presents himself in such a way that the teammates cannot help but like him or to be lead by him. I will expect great things out of him if we can give him a proper offensive line. Now Roddy WhiteÖdespite his bust label, he played very well at the end of seasons. It seems as if White now has the confidence to match his ability. He has the talent to beat a CB deep as well as take a short pass for a long gain. He might be adding acrobatic catches to his resume as well. He and Ryan could make a great connection.

6. JaMarcus Russell might become very good.
I am just going to say that the physical skill set on this guy is ridiculous. One of the best that I have ever seen (I havenít followed football that long, so take that with a grain of salt). His arm is already the best in the NFL (in historyÖ?) and has very good accuracy with the ability to throw a ball with great zip or touch. His size allows him to oversee the field very well and with his size and speed, he is very hard to take down. If you look at his 2 TD passes (one against the Chargers in the regular season, 1 against the Titans in the preseason) and they would make a QB like Manning or Brady proud. If the Raiders could give him some offensive line help, then it wonít matter too much who he has to throw to. I think a year or two down the line, if Davis can give some attention to the offensive line, Russell will establish himself as a top 5 QBÖright below Ryan (:)).

7. The top 10 WRís at the end of the season.
Top 10 lists are always fun when there is some controversy involved. Anyway, here is how I think the list for the WRís is going to look like at the end of the season (I will probably completely forget someone really good).
1. Randy Moss. I donít see his dominance stopping (or pausing).
2. Terrell Owens. He takes care of his body so well, I see him putting up top numbers for another 3 years.
3. Andre Johnson. Still riding his bandwagon and hoping for that 1700-1800 yard season I know he and Schaub are capable of.
4. Larry Fitzgerald. He is a stud. What else is new? He is just waiting for the decline of Randy Moss and TO to be considered top 5.
5. Calvin Johnson. I still donít think he becomes unstoppable this season. Maybe I am just a firm believer in the 3rd year breakout season, but he will not reach his potential this season. He will show flashes. A lot of flashes in fact.
6. Chad Johnson. I think he holds on barely to the top 6 receiver spot. In fact, I am giving a huge benefit of the doubt.
7. Braylon Edwards. The only reason he is below Chad Johnson right now is because I donít see him replicating the huge success he had last season immediately.
8. Steve Smith. So I forgot about him earlierÖhe should definitely be higher. I would hope that he goes on a decline though. Dear God. I donít know what he will do to the Falcons without DeAngelo Hall.
9. Reggie Wayne. I forgot to place him earlier. I was about to put him at number 5ÖHe is a stud. He does everything well and is a very good route runner. I think a large part of his numbers are because he plays with Peyton Manning, but regardless, he is a good WR.
10. Torry Holt. Mr. Consistency will continue to be consistent, but I think all these other guys will show why they are better and more explosive than him .
Honorable Mentions: Roddy White, Brandon Marshall, Greg Jennings
The whole point of this list was for me to show Roddy White off, but I guess I never got a chance. There are so many damn good WRís in the leagueÖAnyways, I think the trend will show that the more consistent WRs (Holt, Harrison, Johnson) are going to start giving up their spots to the new up and coming studs (Fitzgerald, Johnson, Johnson, Edwards). Now that I am looking at this list, its not that great. So much of this is debatable, its ridiculous. I guess I was just looking to use up a number.

8. I see the Saints as the 2nd or 3rd best team in the NFC
Everyone already knows how explosive the Saints offense is. With Brees as helm and a choice of Colston, Bush, and now Shockey and Meachem, I expect him to only get better. Not MVP-esque again, but I expect 4500 yards with 28 TDs. A running game being established would be nice, but wonít be necessary. I think Brees is the type of guy who will be able to air it out, and the Saints have enough weapons all around for him to spread it around to. What I think really will separate themselves is the addition of Sedrick Ellis and Jonathan Vilma. I thought that adding Vilma to their defense was a great idea to help out a porous LB corp and help out a team that needed to stop the run. I thought the trade up to get Sedrick Ellis was brilliant as well. He will be a force to deal with for years to come.

9. Aaron Rodgers will be very good
Replacing a legend is always hard, but I think Aaron Rodgers is ready. When he was coming out, there were talks of him being the number 1 overall pick (which I think he should have been), but instead he slipped to 24 and sat behind one of the greatest QBs of all time while learning the offense for 3 (?) years. I think this will be just like Rivers first year starting. He has seen so much of the NFL already and already possesses a lot of talent around him and in himself. I see a 3500 yard, 24 TD, 12 interception season out of him this year.

10. Matt Leinart and Vince Young? Uh-oh
I know itís the preseason, but these guysí performance has been terrible. Add that to a career that hasnít reached its potential yet, and I would be somewhat worried if I were a fan of the Cardinals and Titans. Matt Leinart just doesnít look like he fits what Wisenhunt wants. I donít think that his throws have enough zip or he that his deep ball is good enough for the coach. He is a good fit for the WCO, but otherwise, I just donít know. I dont expect him to get back his job from Kurt Warner. In fact, I think the Cardinals might shop him next season. As for Vince Young, I donít think he is in such a bad situation as Leinart is in, but he needs to pick up his game. He has shown the potential to be that QB of the future, but has trailed off recently. I would like to see some more commitment out of him this year. Hopefully the Titans donít restrict him too much.

Yeah thatís it. This was my first 10 truths topic, and I guess it was aite. If the rest of you NFL truth guys donít mind, I am going to save all your topics into a word file and maybe if someone reminds me or I remember, ill post them up at the end of the season.

Draft King
08-25-2008, 12:27 AM
Matt Ryan + Roddy White >>>> Peyton + Marvin??? I think so Deangelo.

bored of education
08-25-2008, 12:42 AM
I don't think Calvin will surpass Bowe. But I am a homer. :D

Menardo75
08-25-2008, 12:48 AM
You left off the 9ers winning the NFC worst :)

brat316
08-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Deangelo you weren't under any medication or outside influences(like when you watch most of your movies) when you made this.

These are some BOLD predictions, no crazy truths, Texans in the playoffs

Dam8610
08-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Not to nitpick or anything, but aren't these threads supposed to be about bold predictions? No offense, but "JaMarcus Russell might become very good" is not a bold prediction.

bored of education
08-25-2008, 01:06 AM
Like the Chiefs making the playoffs would be a bold prediction

diabsoule
08-25-2008, 01:08 AM
Like the Chiefs making the playoffs would be a bold prediction

No one is bold enough to make that prediction cuz they suck so bad.

bored of education
08-25-2008, 01:16 AM
No one is bold enough to make that prediction cuz they suck so bad.

So true :(

saintsfan912
08-25-2008, 01:18 AM
How could you leave out Colston in that WR list? The guy has only put up more catches in his first 2 seasons than anyone in history.

d34ng3l021
08-25-2008, 01:37 AM
How could you leave out Colston in that WR list? The guy has only put up more catches in his first 2 seasons than anyone in history.

Read what I wrote afterwards. Its a bad list. I forgot him out of the honorable mentions too.

Saints-Tigers
08-25-2008, 04:21 AM
Colston is a bit unappreciated in the NFL world I think, but he's not TOO underrated.

I don't know why people think Jamarcus will fail, the guy has all the tools, and I think the knocks on his decision making might be skin color related... not really intentional racism, but I think we are so used to make that assumption that a guy with a big time arm and athletic ability must be a poor decision maker, but he's shown he can make every throw, with great touch and accuracy, and it's not like he had a poor completion percentage as a Junior....

I think he's going to be a great QB, the way he throws the ball is just unreal, he can fit it into any spot.

I'm not totally sold on Ryan, I think he's going to be a good QB, not a gamebreaker though... I'm glad he's starting now for the Saints though, because I think we are ready to make a push for the championship this year, and the Falcons being young and inexperienced helps us a lot.

The MVP is kind of a joke, if people actually believe Romo to be the most valuable player in the NFL, I'll rofl. Matt Leinart troubles me a lot, I never saw him as a guy like Peyton Manning, but with Arizona's weapons, he really has no excuse to be as poor as he has been. Vince Young will be fine, he's a poised guy that just knows how to come up with big plays, I find it hilarious that Tennessee basically refuses to give this guy receivers to throw to.

Random thought about Dwayne Bowe. As an LSU fan I am SHOCKED at how good he has become, I knew he could be a good receiver, but I never thought it would happen so suddenly. That eye surgery did wonders.

brat316
08-25-2008, 05:11 AM
Colston is a bit unappreciated in the NFL world I think, but he's not TOO underrated.

I don't know why people think Jamarcus will fail, the guy has all the tools, and I think the knocks on his decision making might be skin color related... not really intentional racism, but I think we are so used to make that assumption that a guy with a big time arm and athletic ability must be a poor decision maker, but he's shown he can make every throw, with great touch and accuracy, and it's not like he had a poor completion percentage as a Junior....

I think he's going to be a great QB, the way he throws the ball is just unreal, he can fit it into any spot.

I'm not totally sold on Ryan, I think he's going to be a good QB, not a gamebreaker though... I'm glad he's starting now for the Saints though, because I think we are ready to make a push for the championship this year, and the Falcons being young and inexperienced helps us a lot.

The MVP is kind of a joke, if people actually believe Romo to be the most valuable player in the NFL, I'll rofl. Matt Leinart troubles me a lot, I never saw him as a guy like Peyton Manning, but with Arizona's weapons, he really has no excuse to be as poor as he has been. Vince Young will be fine, he's a poised guy that just knows how to come up with big plays, I find it hilarious that Tennessee basically refuses to give this guy receivers to throw to.

Random thought about Dwayne Bowe. As an LSU fan I am SHOCKED at how good he has become, I knew he could be a good receiver, but I never thought it would happen so suddenly. That eye surgery did wonders.

AHHAHAHHAHAH.......ahhahaha Dude when in the NFL has he shown he can make all the throws. He has the tools sure, but we havn't really seen him in game time crunch situations. Lets let him play half a season before we call him good, great, or bad. If you think great college qbs will make it in the nfl bring Leaf back, and Matt in AZ should be dominating.

I always thought Bowe would tear it up, you know how you try and pick one person from the draft hoping they will tear it up, i picked Bowe, but i was hoping he would have fell to someone like the Steelers.

Saints-Tigers
08-25-2008, 05:19 AM
Well you don't magically lose the ability to make throws because you put on an NFL uniform. His ability to deliver the ball will never be in question.

djp
08-25-2008, 05:25 AM
To the OP's signature, I'm sorry, but that's pretty much expected from a rookie QB. Game preparation and smarts are Matt Ryan's strengths... That would be like somebody putting McFadden running for 60 yard TD's/Jake Long pancaking somebody in practice...

Iamcanadian
08-25-2008, 08:33 AM
1. Giants falling from grace? I don’t think so.
It seems as if everyone is predicting the Giants to miss playoffs or not do so well in the regular season or post season. I am going to disagree. Even with the retirement of Michael Strahan, the Giants are one of the best pass rushing teams in the NFL, and such a trait goes a long way in winning games. I think despite the Coughlin issues, this team has great chemistry and it should carry over from their Superbowl run, thus priming themselves to do serious damage in the playoffs again. I don’t expect another SB title or even NFCCG appearance, but I do see them making the playoffs and putting up a good fight. The Giants offense completely rides on Eli Manning’s arm and decision making skills, and I think Manning has made a step from being one of the inconsistent QBs to a decent one that makes less errors (I could be completely wrong however).

---Well, with Osi's injury, I think the Giants are in real trouble. Losing Strahan was tough enough, but losing both DE's really weakens the Giant's defense and turns them from one of the best into somewhat of an average one.
Their offense must now carry the team and I think it will be solid but not good enough for them to make the playoffs. It was already a tough call given the record of teams doing well after winning their 1st Super Bowl, even NE had a rough season after winning their first. Overall, if McNabb stays healthy, the Giants will finish 3rd in the NFC East and won't come close to making the playoffs.

2. The Vikings look pretty good.
Like the Giants, the Viking’s defensive line is going to be a large reason for their success. After having the best defensive tackle combination for the past couple of years with Pat and Kevin Williams, they have added a top 3 defensive end. Kevin Williams’ pass rushing ability requires 2 people to block. Pat Williams’ body requires 2 people to block. Jared Allen’s 15.5 sacks and 10 PDs in 14 games will also need a lot of attention. The offenses will basically have to pick their poison. On the offensive side of the ball, you have a more experienced Adrian Peterson and the chance that he stays healthy for the entire season. AD by many is regarded as one of the most talented players in the NFL and Minnesota’s left side of the OL is regarded as the best run blocking line. It’s a combination made in heaven, and it is very deadly. Whether or not the Vikings can make the Superbowl will have to depend on Tarvaris Jackson’s development as a QB. He won’t be asked to do too much, but he will have to limit the mistakes and turnovers that could hurt the offense and running game. EDIT: I hope Jackson’s injury isn’t too serious.

---Even if Jackson takes the next step, Minny likely won't be much more than a 1 and out playoff team unless Peterson finally proves he can stay healthy for a whole season. He has failed to do so for the last 3 seasons so if I'm a Minny fan, I would be holding my breath every time he carries the ball. Playing in the NFC North probably insures Minny of a playoff spot but they have a ways to go before anything is certain for them in the playoffs.

3. The Texans will make playoffs this year.
A lot of people seem to be riding the Texans coattails, but I liked them for the past couple of years and these recent years have been somewhat of a disappointment. I think this year or next year, things will change. Here is why I am excited for this team: Mario Williams, Amobi Okoye, Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub. Once again, you see me focused on the defensive line with Mario Williams and Amobi Okoye, but I think these 2 players are going to make a huge impact for the Texans (…and the NFL). Mario Williams already had his breakout season, but signs showed that he just may continue that dominance. Williams accumulated 10 sacks in the last 7 games of the year, and only went 1 game without a sack during that span. That’s impressive. You look at 21 year old Amobi Okoye who had 5 sacks within the first 9 games and think how he would be if he didn’t hit a rookie wall. Can you imagine both these players playing at their best for the entire season? Just as much as Mario Williams and Amobi Okoye help each other out, you can see the same sort of connection between Schaub and Andre Johnson. All throughout camp last year it seemed as if Schaub and Johnson were forming great chemistry together. I think Andre Johnson had his 2nd break out season (where good players establish themselves as great) last year, despite missing 7 games. Andre Johnson displayed the speed he has always had to go deep and continued to show how he is a YAC beast. If both these players stay healthy, I fully expect Andre Johnson to break some sort of record.

---I also like Houston and I could see them as a serious playoff contender. However, nothing is certain. Johnson isn't a 100% yet and if he cannot stay healthy then Houston will only be so, so. Schaub is a solid NFL starting QB but I don't think he will be much more than another Hasselback. Solid but not a true franchise QB. LT still has to be worked out and RB isn't a proved position either so their breakout is still somewhat limited.

4. Predictions
MVP: Ben Roethlisberger. I wanted to be different here. Tony Romo and Brian Westbrook sound like really good choices. Big Ben has a good shot of his own though.

---Who knows?

OPotY: Brian Westbrook. I see another outstanding season from this guy. Especially if McNabb is healthy throughout the season.

---It's a nice though for Philly fans but McNabb staying healthy for a whole season seems to be a long shot for me. Losing Curtis won't help them either.

DPotY: DeMarcus Ware. I think this season, Ware will finally get the hardware over Merriman. Ware does a terrific job rushing the passer, playing against the run, and is very good in coverage for a 3-4 OLB.

---A solid choice IMO especially with Merriman out with a serious injury.

CotY: Gary Kubiak. I will be agreeing with Bsaza on this one. I see the Texans primed for a breakout season, and a lot will have to do with Kubiak’s great coaching.

---I think Kubiak is a fine HC but Houston still has a lot to prove.

ORotY: Darren McFadden. I am going to be different and not pick Matt Forte, despite his high chances. I really like McFadden in Oakland. He is the perfect fit for the ZBS employed by Alex Gibbs in Oakland, and I expect big numbers (maybe not big numbers if he doesn’t get enough carries. At least an awesome YPC) out of him in his rookie season.

---I also like McFadden, certainly over Forte so you'll get no argument from me.

DRotY: Keith Rivers. Very athletic and smart LB gets drafted by a team who lacks defensive playmakers. Just give it to him now.

---I like Rivers and LB's on losing teams do very well in DROY voting, but Cincy is going nowhere fast and Rivers may pay the price.

5. Matt Ryan and Roddy White
Well you know I had to have a homer one (I didn’t even pick Lofton as DRotY). All I am saying here, is don’t sleep on these guys. Every single article I read about Ryan, every single video I watch on him, he looks good. He seems to be a different make at QB than the recent guys. He isn’t exploding with talent, athleticism, or potential. His arm and accuracy and mobility are nothing to write home about at all. They are all about average, maybe slightly above average, but nothing compared to the likes of JaMarcus Russell or Carson Palmer. What traits Matt Ryan brings to the table are completely different. He brings a great work ethic, a lot of confidence, and a drive to win to the table. He continuously makes strides in the film room by being there so much. He presents himself in such a way that the teammates cannot help but like him or to be lead by him. I will expect great things out of him if we can give him a proper offensive line. Now Roddy White…despite his bust label, he played very well at the end of seasons. It seems as if White now has the confidence to match his ability. He has the talent to beat a CB deep as well as take a short pass for a long gain. He might be adding acrobatic catches to his resume as well. He and Ryan could make a great connection.

---Ryan has looked good but come back in 3 years before he will produce much of anything. Rookie starting QB's have a huge learning curve ahead of them so I'm not expecting a whole lot out of him this year.

6. JaMarcus Russell might become very good.
I am just going to say that the physical skill set on this guy is ridiculous. One of the best that I have ever seen (I haven’t followed football that long, so take that with a grain of salt). His arm is already the best in the NFL (in history…?) and has very good accuracy with the ability to throw a ball with great zip or touch. His size allows him to oversee the field very well and with his size and speed, he is very hard to take down. If you look at his 2 TD passes (one against the Chargers in the regular season, 1 against the Titans in the preseason) and they would make a QB like Manning or Brady proud. If the Raiders could give him some offensive line help, then it won’t matter too much who he has to throw to. I think a year or two down the line, if Davis can give some attention to the offensive line, Russell will establish himself as a top 5 QB…right below Ryan (:)).

---I fully expect Russell to begin his climb to stardom this season. I do agree that it will be a year or 2 before we know if he has the mental toughness to survive in the NFL and become the star he is capable of being. Time will tell.

7. The top 10 WR’s at the end of the season.
Top 10 lists are always fun when there is some controversy involved. Anyway, here is how I think the list for the WR’s is going to look like at the end of the season (I will probably completely forget someone really good).
1. Randy Moss. I don’t see his dominance stopping (or pausing).

---Simply have to see whether or not Brady is healthy this season, if not then Moss won't have much of a season.

2. Terrell Owens. He takes care of his body so well, I see him putting up top numbers for another 3 years.

---I don't know about 3 years but he should have a very solid year.

3. Andre Johnson. Still riding his bandwagon and hoping for that 1700-1800 yard season I know he and Schaub are capable of.

---Health is still an issue for Johnson. If he can stay healthy, he's one of the best. Nothing certain here.

4. Larry Fitzgerald. He is a stud. What else is new? He is just waiting for the decline of Randy Moss and TO to be considered top 5.

---Can Warner get him the ball is the only question I have about this guy.

5. Calvin Johnson. I still don’t think he becomes unstoppable this season. Maybe I am just a firm believer in the 3rd year breakout season, but he will not reach his potential this season. He will show flashes. A lot of flashes in fact.

---Certainly has a shot to succeed this season but with Roy Williams on the team, I think he is limited especially as Detroit is now a run 1st team.

6. Chad Johnson. I think he holds on barely to the top 6 receiver spot. In fact, I am giving a huge benefit of the doubt.

---Tough call, but with Palmer at QB, Cincy WR's will put up good stats. I just wonder if this guy's mind is completely on football.

7. Braylon Edwards. The only reason he is below Chad Johnson right now is because I don’t see him replicating the huge success he had last season immediately.

---Edwards should reach his potential this season(it's his 3rd season which is a common breakout year). As usual, injuries could limit him but if he's healthy, the stats will be impressive.

8. Steve Smith. So I forgot about him earlier…he should definitely be higher. I would hope that he goes on a decline though. Dear God. I don’t know what he will do to the Falcons without DeAngelo Hall.

---Simply one of the best although his suspension won't help his overall stats this season.

9. Reggie Wayne. I forgot to place him earlier. I was about to put him at number 5…He is a stud. He does everything well and is a very good route runner. I think a large part of his numbers are because he plays with Peyton Manning, but regardless, he is a good WR.

---I agree but like Brady, Peyton will have to show he has completely recovered from surgery or the Colts WR's won't have impressive seasons..

10. Torry Holt. Mr. Consistency will continue to be consistent, but I think all these other guys will show why they are better and more explosive than him .

---Age is the only serious factor that is affecting Holt. He is simply slowing down a bit.

Honorable Mentions: Roddy White, Brandon Marshall, Greg Jennings
The whole point of this list was for me to show Roddy White off, but I guess I never got a chance. There are so many damn good WR’s in the league…Anyways, I think the trend will show that the more consistent WRs (Holt, Harrison, Johnson) are going to start giving up their spots to the new up and coming studs (Fitzgerald, Johnson, Johnson, Edwards). Now that I am looking at this list, its not that great. So much of this is debatable, its ridiculous. I guess I was just looking to use up a number.

8. I see the Saints as the 2nd or 3rd best team in the NFC
Everyone already knows how explosive the Saints offense is. With Brees as helm and a choice of Colston, Bush, and now Shockey and Meachem, I expect him to only get better. Not MVP-esque again, but I expect 4500 yards with 28 TDs. A running game being established would be nice, but won’t be necessary. I think Brees is the type of guy who will be able to air it out, and the Saints have enough weapons all around for him to spread it around to. What I think really will separate themselves is the addition of Sedrick Ellis and Jonathan Vilma. I thought that adding Vilma to their defense was a great idea to help out a porous LB corp and help out a team that needed to stop the run. I thought the trade up to get Sedrick Ellis was brilliant as well. He will be a force to deal with for years to come.

---I tend to agree with everything you said but until they actually do it on the field, you cannot crown them just yet.

9. Aaron Rodgers will be very good
Replacing a legend is always hard, but I think Aaron Rodgers is ready. When he was coming out, there were talks of him being the number 1 overall pick (which I think he should have been), but instead he slipped to 24 and sat behind one of the greatest QBs of all time while learning the offense for 3 (?) years. I think this will be just like Rivers first year starting. He has seen so much of the NFL already and already possesses a lot of talent around him and in himself. I see a 3500 yard, 24 TD, 12 interception season out of him this year.

---Still a very tough call IMO. You could be right especially as he plays in the weak NFC North Division but I still have some doubts.

10. Matt Leinart and Vince Young? Uh-oh
I know it’s the preseason, but these guys’ performance has been terrible. Add that to a career that hasn’t reached its potential yet, and I would be somewhat worried if I were a fan of the Cardinals and Titans. Matt Leinart just doesn’t look like he fits what Wisenhunt wants. I don’t think that his throws have enough zip or he that his deep ball is good enough for the coach. He is a good fit for the WCO, but otherwise, I just don’t know. I dont expect him to get back his job from Kurt Warner. In fact, I think the Cardinals might shop him next season. As for Vince Young, I don’t think he is in such a bad situation as Leinart is in, but he needs to pick up his game. He has shown the potential to be that QB of the future, but has trailed off recently. I would like to see some more commitment out of him this year. Hopefully the Titans don’t restrict him too much.

---Well obviously Leinart is a disappointment having lost the starting job to Warner. VY still lacks real weapons to help him and will pretty well have to do it on his own. I still like his potential but please give the guy some real weapons.

Yeah that’s it. This was my first 10 truths topic, and I guess it was aite. If the rest of you NFL truth guys don’t mind, I am going to save all your topics into a word file and maybe if someone reminds me or I remember, ill post them up at the end of the season.

--I think your insight into the NFL is solid and your predictions show very sound football knowledge. Certainly worth the read which I couldn't say about a few other such similar posts.

d34ng3l021
08-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Not to nitpick or anything, but aren't these threads supposed to be about bold predictions? No offense, but "JaMarcus Russell might become very good" is not a bold prediction.

I guess. I just had no faith in him before he got drafted. I thought he would be a huge bust (no pun intended) because I thought he lacked leadership ability and the mental capability to go along with his talent.

This still might be the case, but from what I have seen, his talent basically overrides anything.

Hawk
08-25-2008, 03:12 PM
--I think your insight into the NFL is solid and your predictions show very sound football knowledge. Certainly worth the read which I couldn't say about a few other such similar posts.

Did you really have to quote the whole damn thing?

I like the Rivers Rodgers comparison.

bigbluedefense
08-25-2008, 03:24 PM
i like. i like.

I must say, while i was one of the ppl who killed Matt Ryan before the draft, he does look pretty good out there. He reminds me of Eli Manning oddly enough. He could be a gamer. We'll see.

I might have to eat crow on that one. Time will tell.

princefielder28
08-25-2008, 04:09 PM
avoid using the helping verbs may and might otherwise good work putting a list together

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-25-2008, 04:19 PM
He is the perfect fit for the ZBS employed by Alex Gibbs in Oakland,I think you mean Tom Cable.

ATLDirtyBirds
08-25-2008, 04:21 PM
i like. i like.

I must say, while i was one of the ppl who killed Matt Ryan before the draft, he does look pretty good out there. He reminds me of Eli Manning oddly enough. He could be a gamer. We'll see.

I might have to eat crow on that one. Time will tell.

Funny. I've been hating on Eli since he was drafted, and hated on Ryan till right before the draft when I started to slightly turn.

d34ng3l021
08-26-2008, 12:15 AM
I think you mean Tom Cable.

Hm yeah. Tom Cable and Alex Gibbs were both with us around the Michael Vick time. You guys took Knapp and Cable, not Gibbs.

SenorGato
08-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Good call on Rogers...I'd bet anything he's way better than people seem to be predicting.

People want Rogers to replace Favre's intangibels...F intangibles...Rogers knows the offense, knows the players, knows the coaches, and has the skills....THATS whats matters...the intangibles will come once people see him produce...then he'll be the mega winner who Favre held back...he knows how the win games...he's such a great leader of men you should see that look in his eye... he's got that fire...look at all that moxy...people'll say that after he does something...doing something comes first and I think he's got a great shot at being somebody. He's been developed right by the Packers, and thats all a young QB can really ask for right?

Dam8610
08-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Yeah thatís it. This was my first 10 truths topic, and I guess it was aite. If the rest of you NFL truth guys donít mind, I am going to save all your topics into a word file and maybe if someone reminds me or I remember, ill post them up at the end of the season.

Go for it. I expect to be terribly wrong and wouldn't mind laughing at myself.

d34ng3l021
08-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Go for it. I expect to be terribly wrong and wouldn't mind laughing at myself.

I have 38 pages and 14700 words of everyones truths in a word file. I am looking forward to reposting them.