PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on Gibril Wilson?

San Diego Chicken
03-01-2007, 03:52 PM
I know he is a restricted free agent, and the Giants tendered him at 1.3 million (2nd round tender). Is he worth a 2nd round pick for a team in need of a safety? Is he better at SS or FS? Does he have room for improvement? He is still fairly young. Are the Giants trying to lock him up long-term?

Number 10
03-01-2007, 03:56 PM
I know he is a restricted free agent, and the Giants tendered him at 1.3 million (2nd round tender). Is he worth a 2nd round pick for a team in need of a safety? Is he better at SS or FS? Does he have room for improvement? He is still fairly young. Are the Giants trying to lock him up long-term?

He is not a FS if that is what you are looking for. He can't cover that well unless he has some good DBs around him to work with. The one thing he does excpetionally well is make plays, whether it be forced fumbles, recovered fumbles, INTs....you get the point. Not the best tackler in the world but he isn't below average or anything, just leaves something to be desired. I would say he is worth a 2nd rounder and if he were to get scooped up by someone, I would not feel that we really gained or lost anything because we would be losing a playmaker on a defense that lacks guys that can make plays but it would give us an extra pick that we need and it would allow us to move Demps to SS, his more natural position.

hugegmenfan
03-01-2007, 03:59 PM
if we could get a 2nd round pick for him i would say let him go- he had a great rookie campaign but is not a play maker and doesnt come in the clutch- last year i specifically remembered a ball going right through his hands vs dallas i believe which led to a td- players cant miss those opportunities- that would allow us to get a weddle or even a merriweather type or have more picks to trade if we wanted to- anything less than a 2nd round pick i would say no to

bigbluedefense
03-01-2007, 04:00 PM
I think he's an average SS. Nothing more, nothing less.

With the safety talent in this draft, SD would be foolish to go after Wilson. Theres at least 5 safeties in this draft better than Wilson.

ricky bobby
03-01-2007, 04:35 PM
He's young and experienced, a rare combination. I think we are looking to lock him up long term. I also think it would be wise for us to move him to FS.

San Diego Chicken
03-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the input guys. He is an interesting player. I don't expect the Chargers to go after him, but he seems to be the only touchable safety out there who is a quality player, and he is from the west coast originally, so it was something I was thinking about.

ricky bobby
03-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the input guys. He is an interesting player. I don't expect the Chargers to go after him, but he seems to be the only touchable safety out there who is a quality player, and he is from the west coast originally, so it was something I was thinking about.

Gibril Wilson for Mike Turner straight up.

San Diego Chicken
03-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Gibril Wilson for Mike Turner straight up.

:wink:

I'll pass it along to AJ.

scottyboy
03-02-2007, 02:45 PM
ricky bobby that would be awful. turner isnt proven as a starter and that would just hurt BJ more. gibril is a good young safety. everyone has given up on him. he made plays for us but got exposed becuz he had no help or speed around him. one DB cant do it all himself. he's fine, demps and lack of speed at CB are the problems

hugepunch
03-04-2007, 10:38 AM
gibril is so under rated. he sent shaun williams packign to the panthers.

BigBlue58KiperIII
03-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Gibril is a go safety in this league, I'd say average-slightly above, but if someone wants to give us a second for him, be my guest. I'd rather have the second to work with and even package those picks for an impact player at the top of the draft. Two second rounders have very good value.

hugegmenfan
03-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Gibril is a go safety in this league, I'd say average-slightly above, but if someone wants to give us a second for him, be my guest. I'd rather have the second to work with and even package those picks for an impact player at the top of the draft. Two second rounders have very good value.

i could not agree more- wilson is a good young player but simply does not make plays in the secondary
if we were to get another 2nd rounder we could get a guy like Weddle or even slight possibly merriweather

scottyboy
03-04-2007, 02:11 PM
doesnt make plays? how could he? people just throw at demps and madison. watch some old games and focus on gibril, he made some nice plays and knock downs, but many teams threw away from him. he is a great character guy as well. get some speed around him and see what happens(also spags is great with safeties, see dawkins and vincent)

Slasher28
03-10-2007, 03:18 PM
I'd give up Gibril only if we got Meriwether