PDA

View Full Version : Will Darren Sproles ever get a shot as a #1 Back? Where do you stand as of now?

CC.SD
08-26-2008, 11:53 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80a4861d

This is yesterday, racking up a big game against Seattle's preseason D. He looks mighty good. Will he ever be given a real shot as a #1? If he keeps this up, I say yes. BTW the best part of that video is him blocking Leroy Hill into a somersault. Boom boom.

He's more well known as a beastly returner (he had a KR TD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_DSjWhJYSc) and a PR TD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KOjs_1vt80&feature=related) in one game against the Colts).

This year he will be LT's #2, that's not a question anymore. Michael Turner just got a big deal from the falcons...does history repeat?

Here's more clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r61FCQlYsb4 Beating up the Lions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP3izaO559E&feature=related 4 Heisman! This is a great watch if you like good football highlights or are alive.

Look at the success of guys like Dunn or Barber...is it really tough to imagine a team giving him a real chance in the future? I don't think it is.

Flyboy
08-26-2008, 12:03 PM
This really has nothing to do with this thread but I remember the Big XII Championship Game with OU/KSU. I went to the movies that night and came back to see that OU had lost and Darren Sproles had a damn good game. I still hate myself for that becuase I loathe OU.

That's all.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-26-2008, 12:04 PM
If any team does it will probably be the Chargers when Tomlinson retires/leaves somehow. Because I doubt any other team is going to offer a big contract to him, he's just too small.

JK17
08-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I mean he's shown success in the regular season, but in very limited action. I love him, but I can't see any team looking at him and saying whole-heartedly "this is our #1 guy". He may be able to get a lead role, but i doubt it would be more then like, a platoon back who gets 55% of the carries, as opposed to 45.

Brent
08-26-2008, 12:27 PM
I loved watching him and Ell Roberson in college.

Shane P. Hallam
08-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Nope, not a chance.

Twiddler
08-26-2008, 12:31 PM
His size is really going to hold him back but he has a shot of being part of a good combination. As much as he impressed me last night during the game, I can't see him being a complete #1 back, more like #1A or #1B.

Hawk
08-26-2008, 12:36 PM
He will never be a number 1 back. I don't think his small frame can carry the full load. He could always be used in the ever famous Thunder and Lightning system.

bored of education
08-26-2008, 12:40 PM
you must be this tall to be a strating RB in the NFL

-----------------------
_____________ Darren Sproles height

poor guy.

LonghornsLegend
08-26-2008, 12:51 PM
A #1 back? No. But he can and more then likely will be a part of a committee approach with him as the lighting of that combo, nothing more then that.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-26-2008, 12:53 PM
No, and he shouldn't. The simple fact is that he can't handle the load on a consistent basis throught an entire year. It's pretty straight forward. A team would have to be stupid to go in with the 'this is our starter this year' mentality. Throw him in a dual back system, where he gets 50% of the carries, and he can probably get by, but depends how much you put into the 'starter' tag. If he's getting that many more carries on the regular, it will probably contribute to limiting his special teams play, depending on how valuable the team views him, look at a Reggie Bush.

Simply, i don't think a team would be smart to use him in that role, unless it is a greatly reduced 'starter' role. It would limit his effectiveness throughout a season, and it would result in injuries. Don't use a MJD comparison because their body types are 100% different and therefore cannot be used as an example.

tylerb929
08-26-2008, 12:53 PM
But he can and more then likely will be a part of a committee approach with him as the lighting of that combo

well I sure hope he wouldn't be the thunder

hockey619
08-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Something no ones mentioned is that lets say he plays really well in the 2 role behind Tomlinson and proves that he at least deserves a shot in a more evenly split system. His potential for an offer on the market could be affected by Turner's success in Atlanta. If Turner drops the ball and stinks it up in Atlanta, theres a chance that people will question whether or not he was a product of playing behind Tomlinson and that O-line, sort of a system running back kinda deal, which could make them hesitant about signing sproles, especially considering the questions that already come with his size.

hockey619
08-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Also, he would have to compete with the other backs on the market and, more importantly, rookies coming in through the draft. They'll be younger and a lot of them will be bigger, and the fact that they can bring in revenue as the new franchise savior shouldnt be overlooked. A new rookie is more appealing and brings more hope than bringing in a backup from another team.

princefielder28
08-26-2008, 01:05 PM
He's a solid #2, and that's all anyone can expect from him. Like others have mentioned, his size hurts him greatly and there's no way he'd be able to take on the workload of a NFL RB and hold up.

bigbluedefense
08-26-2008, 01:16 PM
Never.

To be a #1 back, you have to get 18 carries per game for the season basically. Theres no way his small frame can sustain that kind of punishment for an entire season. One preseason game against a team with a poor rush defense while running through holes the size of Lendale White doesn't make him a superstar just yet.

He can be a good 3rd down back. Maximum 10 carries a game.

bigbluedefense
08-26-2008, 01:19 PM
having that said, i love his burst, vision and toughness, i just don't see him as anything more than a 3rd down back. its impossible.

also, on passing downs, what id do as a DC is overload blitz when he's in there and force him to pick up the unblocked guy. i know he trucked a LB yesterday, but more often than not if you put him in that situation, he'll lose that battle. so he can present mismatches in favor of the defense sometimes too.

giantsfan
08-26-2008, 01:22 PM
having that said, i love his burst, vision and toughness, i just don't see him as anything more than a 3rd down back. its impossible.

also, on passing downs, what id do as a DC is overload blitz when he's in there and force him to pick up the unblocked guy. i know he trucked a LB yesterday, but more often than not if you put him in that situation, he'll lose that battle. so he can present mismatches in favor of the defense sometimes too.

Tiki and Ahmad are both very small RBs and both were good blockers. Sproles won't be knocking many NFL LBs on their rears in the regular season but he could hold them up enough with proper technique.

bantx
08-26-2008, 01:24 PM
I can see him work well with a marion barber or marion barber type runningback but i dont think he can be the #1

SFbear
08-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Maybe if Sproles and Garrett Wolfe can somehow fuse together into one giant...er regular sized RB, they could take the league by storm.

Darrett Sprolfe or maybe
Garren Woles

bigbluedefense
08-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Tiki and Ahmad are both very small RBs and both were good blockers. Sproles won't be knocking many NFL LBs on their rears in the regular season but he could hold them up enough with proper technique.

both are giants (no pun intended) compared to Sproles. i mean hey, if he can prove that tactic wrong then great, but its worth trying if youre a DC.

703SKINS202
08-26-2008, 01:33 PM
He is a sick number 2 and I doubt anything more than that. He doesn't really need to be and I doubt a team would pay him to do anything other than what he does now.

yourfavestoner
08-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Never.

To be a #1 back, you have to get 18 carries per game for the season basically. Theres no way his small frame can sustain that kind of punishment for an entire season. One preseason game against a team with a poor rush defense while running through holes the size of Lendale White doesn't make him a superstar just yet.

He can be a good 3rd down back. Maximum 10 carries a game.

Bingo. He's the type of player that will lose effectiveness the more times he touches the ball.

Average OT LB
08-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Sproles isnt a one, and i dont like him as a two.

Despite Sproles success i really would feel uncomfortable with him even in a backup role. He is merely a situational player, not meant to touch the football more than 100 times a season (rushing, receiving, returning)

awfullyquiet
08-26-2008, 02:02 PM
The Short Answer:

No.

The Long Answer:

No.

Burns336
08-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Preseason doesn't mean anything... Or atleast charger fans better hope it doesn't because the run D looks terrible. Even Julia Jones was carving last night.

"#1" backs are dying anyways. I wouldn't want him in a 50/50 system either though. He's best suited in a 90% LT 10% DS workload.

5'6'' 180 wont last no matter how tough you are. Right now he has been good with avoiding big hits, but all it takes is 1 or 2 and he could be out for a long time.

TheBuffaloBills
08-26-2008, 03:25 PM
I really dont see it happening..... But, for a guy his size, he is really tough to bring down.... He just bounces off everything, or "squirts" through defenders....

BlindSite
08-26-2008, 05:12 PM
I don't think its wise to ever completely say a player can never do something because time and time again they've proved popular opinion wrong, but in Sproles' case he might be too small.

I think he'd be able to do some damage in a system where he can change up the base for a guy like Brandon Jacobs, or other similarly suited power back, but as for him being a guy to get 18-25 carries a game for 16 games I doubt he'll be able to hold up and I doubt very much he'd be as effective as he is when spelling other guys.

yo123
08-26-2008, 05:13 PM
I hate the preseason. Sproles is nothing more than a change of pace back. The thought of a 5'6 180 pound back getting 20 carries a game is laughable.

Dave
08-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Dare I say Warrick Dunn?

Menardo75
08-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Sproles would not survive being a starter in the NFL. One of the biggest reasons why he is so effective is because of the people he is playing behind

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
08-26-2008, 07:00 PM
I don't want a starter that can't even ride roller coasters.

Saints-Tigers
08-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Are the Chargers this great at drafting and developing backs, or is their line making some guys shine more than they normally would? That's the real question that needs to be asked. I guess we will find out with Michael Turner.

CC.SD
08-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Preseason doesn't mean anything... Or atleast charger fans better hope it doesn't because the run D looks terrible. Even Julia Jones was carving last night.

"#1" backs are dying anyways. I wouldn't want him in a 50/50 system either though. He's best suited in a 90% LT 10% DS workload.

5'6'' 180 wont last no matter how tough you are. Right now he has been good with avoiding big hits, but all it takes is 1 or 2 and he could be out for a long time.

No Jamal Williams (he is kind of a big deal) +Preseason tackling=bad run D. Sproles has done his thing in the regular season a lil bit too.

I think a year as the #2 will reveal a whole lot more about Sproles' potential.

BamaFalcon59
08-26-2008, 08:21 PM
I doubt he gets shot, but I love him as a player. Poor mans Noel Devine. Very hard to bring down, extremely tough, good speed, great burst.

Oh, and for size. Warrick Dunn was 5'9" 185. Sproles is 5'6" 180. Sproles is actually thicker by the numbers.

Dave
08-26-2008, 09:44 PM
I know the numbers.. i'm saying they're both small backs and they both show immense potential. I think Sproles has all the attributes to have a productive and meaningful career as a starter.

BamaFalcon59
08-26-2008, 09:56 PM
I was more saying that if Dunn can do it, Sproles has a shot.

Dave
08-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Ahh, well then, if we're both batting for the same team, i'll stay out of your way.

08-26-2008, 10:02 PM
I was more saying that if Dunn can do it, Sproles has a shot.

No doubting that, but even with his build he probably fits the two-back system better realistically in maybe a more complimentary role than currently in SD .

BamaFalcon59
08-26-2008, 10:05 PM
I agree. Warren was/ is a special breed for his size. It is difficult, but possible, to handle 250 plus carries at that size.

neko4
08-26-2008, 10:14 PM
His height isnt a big deal, id take a RB under 6-0 anyday. But his weight is a problem. Him and Hester could make a good combo one day

nobodyinparticular
08-26-2008, 10:18 PM
At best he performs a Napoleon Kaufman role. A significant, playmaker role who can get you 100 yards on occasion--mostly on the strength of a single 40 or 50 yarder. I don't think he can be a #1.

MetSox17
08-27-2008, 08:39 AM
I knew someone would make a thread about this while i was watching that game. But no, he can't and won't ever be a #1 running back in the NFL.

Bucs_Rule
08-27-2008, 07:42 PM
No way. Maybe a committy, but his body would just get worned down.

holt_bruce81
08-28-2008, 12:29 AM
He is perfect for the way the Chargers are currently using him. He doesn't have the size to take a beating like #1 backs take.

Addict
08-28-2008, 05:39 AM
you must be this tall to be a strating RB in the NFL

-----------------------
_____________ Darren Sproles height

poor guy.

... he's only an inch shorter than Maurice Jones-Drew...

BamaFalcon59
08-28-2008, 07:20 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0610/gallery.nflrookiewatch/images/jones-drew.jpg

http://i1.chargers.com/assets/206/36913_282wh.jpg

FYI, that is Cromartie, who is only 6'2".

But like I said, he is Warrick Dunn's size, so it is possible.

MetSox17
08-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Stop with the MJD comparisons, please. He's about 40 lbs lighter.

08-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Stop with the MJD comparisons, please. He's about 40 lbs lighter.

Yeah, seems like any short, stocky RB gets that comparison now .

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-28-2008, 11:35 AM
It doesn't matter whether he CAN or not. Even if he was able to, there's not one team out there that would go into the season with him as their #1.

'cuse-213
08-28-2008, 12:03 PM
I doubt he gets shot, but I love him as a player. Poor mans Noel Devine. Very hard to bring down, extremely tough, good speed, great burst.

Oh, and for size. Warrick Dunn was 5'9" 185. Sproles is 5'6" 180. Sproles is actually thicker by the numbers.

I was just going to say that. Height means nothing in the NFL. Besides the obvious examples, like a 5'7'' QB.

CC.SD
08-28-2008, 12:24 PM
I was just going to say that. Height means nothing in the NFL. Besides the obvious examples, like a 5'7'' QB.

FLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTIE!!!!!!

JT Jag
08-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Darren Sproles: 5'6 181. Tiny.

Maurice Drew: 5'7 207. Compact.

EvilMonkey
08-28-2008, 05:11 PM
as an every-down true #1, he's got no chance. As part of a 1A-1B two-back system, he absolutely could be that. I could see him developing into a guy possibly getting a dozen carries a game as a complimentary guy, but he'll never get 20-25 carries a game.

'cuse-213
08-28-2008, 06:43 PM

Maurice Drew: 5'7 207. Compact.

Warrick Dunn: 5'9' 180. Tinier.