PDA

View Full Version : Rudi Johnson on the trade block?

Matthew Jones
08-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Apparently Mort reported that the Bengals were shopping running back Rudi Johnson. Here's a link to the Pro Football Talk article:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/25/bengals-shopping-rudi/

This is something from Rotoworld:

Marvin Lewis didn't deny that Rudi Johnson was on the trading block Tuesday.
"It's a rumor. It makes no sense for me to confirm or deny anything involving a player," Lewis said. So ... it's confirmed. "They've been trying to get me out of here for a long time," Johnson said. Rudi is expected to play Thursday night, but there's a good chance that will be his last appearance as a Bengal.
Source: Cincinnati Enquirer

The question is, who would actually want this guy? He was pretty atrocious last year while playing (170-497-3, 2.9 yards per carry in 11 games), and that's when he wasn't injured. He only rushed for over 50 yards three times, and over 100 yards once, in week two. In 2005, he signed a five year, $26 million contract. I see them cutting Rudi and him ending up on a team as a backup and short yardage back.

BlindSite
08-26-2008, 07:07 PM
He wouldn't be a bad option in Denver or Detroit where they've got unproven players starting.

Menardo75
08-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Does'nt suprise me they think they have a lot of capable RBs maybe they do idk

Bengalsrocket
08-26-2008, 07:22 PM
The question is, who would actually want this guy? He was pretty atrocious last year while playing (170-497-3, 2.9 yards per carry in 11 games), and that's when he wasn't injured. He only rushed for over 50 yards three times, and over 100 yards once, in week two. In 2005, he signed a five year, $26 million contract. I see them cutting Rudi and him ending up on a team as a backup and short yardage back.

He was injured though, for every game except the first two. He's suffered with a hamstring for all of last season.

Rudi isn't a great back, but up until this last season he was both durable and consistent. I wouldn't say he's terrible for having 1 off year.

bored of education
08-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Texans for Kevin walter :) NOTTTTTTTT

skinzzfan25
08-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Nobody would want to take on that contract.

bored of education
08-26-2008, 07:37 PM
eactly. Rudi is dunzo!

SuperKevin
08-26-2008, 07:41 PM
He can't be done. He's on my fantasy team as a backup

bigbluedefense
08-26-2008, 07:46 PM
more importantly, whats the deal with Chad? Is he done?

SuperKevin
08-26-2008, 07:49 PM

I heard he might play with a harness which will affect his ability to reach for passes. If thats true then he's going to be useless in the endzone

bigbluedefense
08-26-2008, 07:52 PM
I heard he might play with a harness which will affect his ability to reach for passes. If thats true then he's going to be useless in the endzone

Carson Palmer's numbers should go down then. He routinely leaves his WRs hung out to dry. Im surprised ppl don't point that out more.

How many times has Chad been jacked up the past 2 years bc Carson led him into harm's way?

Twiddler
08-26-2008, 07:52 PM

http://nationalpost.pa-sportsticker.com/default.aspx?s=nfl-news-display&nid=A93688031219703955A

Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson has a partially torn labrum in his left shoulder, but will attempt to play through the injury.

Johnson was wearing a harness at Monday's practice and told reporters if the shoulder pops out, he would need season-ending surgery.

Pretty much exactly what SuperKevin said.

Number 10
08-26-2008, 07:56 PM
He wouldn't be a bad option in Denver or Detroit where they've got unproven players starting.

He is not a cut and go runner, thus Denver is not a likely destination. Teams like New Orleans, Philadelphia, and Buffalo could be of interest.

SuperKevin
08-26-2008, 08:09 PM
He is not a cut and go runner, thus Denver is not a likely destination. Teams like New Orleans, Philadelphia, and Buffalo could be of interest.

Buffalo is deep at RB right now with Lynch, Fred Jackson, Dwayne Wright and Xavier Omon

themaninblack
08-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Send him and a second round pick to AZ for Bolden.

Hey, I can dream right?

PalmerToCJ
08-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Send him and a second round pick to AZ for Bolden.

Hey, I can dream right?

I just wet myself, Bolden is my favorite non-Bengal. But yeah, not in a million years.

Not sure why Rudi thinks we've been trying to get rid of him for a long time. I mean, he took over for Corey Dillon who was the only bright spot for years. Then, we draft Perry yet sign him to an extension. He was fine up until last year, Irons was drafted to provide depth and change of pace.

Not sure who would take him, also not sure why we'd get rid of him anyway. After week 4 we'll have a massive abundance of WR's and only Perry/Rudi/Watson at RB.

eaglesfan_45
08-26-2008, 09:53 PM

Eagles have 0 intrest in him, zip, zero, nada, no intrest at all. Eagles are stacked at RB so they don't want a guy on the verge of a Shaun Alexander type collapse.

Brent
08-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Irons, Perry and Watson have been fine, right? Didnt Watson do well last year?

BlindSite
08-26-2008, 10:21 PM

ZBS fits almost all types of RBs, all you've got to do is pick a line and pound into it.

A guy of his experience wouldn't find the transition all that difficult.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-26-2008, 10:39 PM
ZBS fits almost all types of RBs, all you've got to do is pick a line and pound into it.

I think this is the biggest misconception about the ZBS. Plenty of runners are not suited for a ZBS at all. The reason some teams can plug and play with less well thought of talent is because there are some players who are less than physical freaks did have the running style to fit the ZBS and fell down through the cracks.

The ZBS is absolutely a speciality system in terms of linemen and running backs. It's just that these specialties don't necessarily include the typical tools sought (size and speed).

PalmerToCJ
08-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Irons, Perry and Watson have been fine, right? Didnt Watson do well last year?

Irons played like 3 snaps, tore his ACL and has been cut. Perry has played 6 games in the last 2 seasons. Watson is good for a backup but I don't want him starting.

We need Rudi. Him and Perry are great compliments for each other. We all think Perry is way more skilled, I did in '05 but Rudi has been very solid with the exception of last year.

themaninblack
08-26-2008, 11:12 PM
I also think we should keep Rudi mainly because his style suits the type of play in our division. Perry can go up the middle but I don't know if he can hold up with a ton of carries. Him and Rudi together allow for each other to have less carries yet also allow for both to play their type of game. Rudi is necessary at this point if he is healthy. Necessary, that is, if he can regain his health.

Xonraider
08-26-2008, 11:16 PM
I heard on NFLN that Marvin Lewis said this were rumors and only rumors.

LonghornsLegend
08-26-2008, 11:22 PM
LOL leave it up to Mort to spout off again with non sense that's probably not true, until I hear another source its just internet ramble...Remember when he just recently said the Dolphins would probably cut or trade Ronnie Brown? Kurt Warner being the starter, The Cowboys are enamored with McFadden, he's thrown so much crap against the wall something eventually has to stick.

He always comes out with open ended statements that he can easily try to back out of when he is proven wrong, either make the report or state that its your opinion, I'm tired of this guy spouting off with anything he wants and he is supposed to be some sort of NFL insider, he hasn't told me any breaking news other then the girlie text messages he was sending back and forth to Brett Favre.

If Cincy did trade him, who would they get for a past his prime Rb in his 30's? RB's are the easiest position to fill, you can get a guy like Samkon Gado for a 7th rd pick and have a better chance at getting production, I certainly can't see any WR's worth giving up for Rudi...At this point most teams have their Rb situation worked out, teams like Houston don't want to bother with Rudi because they already have one old RB who can't get past injuries to play...They are going to have to cut Rudi if they want to rid that contract, 0% chance anybody trades for him.

themaninblack
08-26-2008, 11:24 PM
I think this is the biggest misconception about the ZBS. Plenty of runners are not suited for a ZBS at all. The reason some teams can plug and play with less well thought of talent is because there are some players who are less than physical freaks did have the running style to fit the ZBS and fell down through the cracks.

The ZBS is absolutely a speciality system in terms of linemen and running backs. It's just that these specialties don't necessarily include the typical tools sought (size and speed).

I can almost guarantee you that every single team in the NFL runs at least a bit of a ZBS. Some teams more so than others (a la Denver) but it is existent in almost every single offense imaginable. I don't think it is that much of a specialty in the NFL because lineman of that caliber should be able to do it regardless. I play in a very Zone oriented offense and we have many different types of runners who all can succeed in that type of scheme. I think what it really requires most is that the RB and OL are all cognizant of the concepts behind it, not necessarily the particular skillset one has to offer. For a runningback, ample speed and above average vision are all that are really necessary for them to succeed.

Understanding that there isn't a specific spot where the hole(s) will open can be hard to grasp for someone that has never done it before. I like to think most runningbacks are getting some kind of exposure to this at lower levels so when they get to college or even the NFL they are at least somewhat aware of how it works.

I never did it my entire life until my senior year of HS and it does take some time to understand the concepts and the in-depth hand/foot techniques necessary for it to work but I don't think you have to be that much more athletic as a lineman to block a zone scheme as opposed to a power one. That is probably the biggest myth IMO.

The reason the Broncos are good at it is because they bring in lineman who have experience in those type of sets and the coaching staff is particularly versed in it as they have been doing it for years. The runningbacks that seemingly come out of nowhere are at least in part due to this. On the other hand, they could just be ridiculously good at evaluating RB talent and they realize that investing inordinate amounts of money in one is of less importance in a purely zone offense.

Though, even the Broncos run some things outside of zone principles I am sure.

PACKmanN
08-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Didn't Auburn run a ZBS when was was there?

themaninblack
08-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Didn't Auburn run a ZBS when was was there?

I don't know for certain but I wouldn't bet against it. He runs Zone now for the Bengals, too.

Geo
08-27-2008, 01:29 AM
If Cincy did trade him, who would they get for a past his prime Rb in his 30's?
Rudi Johnson is actually 28 years old, he'll be 29 come October 1st.

Addict
08-27-2008, 02:21 AM
Rudi Johnson is actually 28 years old, he'll be 29 come October 1st.

what kind of money's he getting?

StripedWalrus
08-27-2008, 02:24 AM
what kind of money's he getting?

I think like 3-3.5 a year.

Addict
08-27-2008, 02:26 AM
I think like 3-3.5 a year.

that sounds about fair, won't scare off any potential traders

A Perfect Score
08-27-2008, 09:17 AM
I can definately see him in NO if Deuce or Pierre Thomas arent healthy (which last I heard, they were not). Which leads me to ask, how does deuce look? Deuce is a much more talented back then Rudi, but has alot of trouble staying healthy. They need a power runner to compliment Bush, and Rudi Johnson, while not the prototypical NFL RB, was rushing for 1400 yards a year 2 seasons ago. He is nothing less then servicable when healthy. Although I dont really think NO would give up anything to get him. Prolly just scoop him up if he gets cut.

Matthew Jones
08-27-2008, 09:25 AM
If Cincy did trade him, who would they get for a past his prime Rb in his 30's? RB's are the easiest position to fill, you can get a guy like Samkon Gado for a 7th rd pick and have a better chance at getting production, I certainly can't see any WR's worth giving up for Rudi...At this point most teams have their Rb situation worked out, teams like Houston don't want to bother with Rudi because they already have one old RB who can't get past injuries to play...They are going to have to cut Rudi if they want to rid that contract, 0% chance anybody trades for him.

To my knowledge, Rudi is about 28 years old. And I don't think that if it was so easy to find a great running back, teams would draft them early or sign any to big contracts. Samkon Gado was a good running back for eight games and he's been cut repeatedly since. I would agree with you that teams shouldn't trade for Rudi, though, and that he doesn't have many good seasons left.

Matthew Jones
08-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Also, Rudi's salary this year is $3.75 million, with I believe a $4.4 million cap hit, and a $4.6 million one next year, where his base salary is ~$4 million.

Addict
08-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Also, Rudi's salary this year is $3.75 million, with I believe a $4.4 million cap hit, and a $4.6 million one next year, where his base salary is ~$4 million.

that's big money for a guy who really wasn't ever a top guy.

Geo
08-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Rotoworld has Rudi's base salaries as 3.2M ('08) and 3.6M ('09). (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=50)

LonghornsLegend
08-27-2008, 02:55 PM
I guess I just figured he was 30 years old with the way he seems to be declining, and constantly getting hurt...Although in situations like these, teams will always wonder, if he was so good why didn't they just keep him? I could see him getting signed if he gets cut, just nobody worth trading for.

PalmerToCJ
08-27-2008, 03:25 PM
He's only been injured twice as a Bengal. The guy never even gets listed on the injury report. From his 2nd season to the end of '06 I never remember him even being probable.

He hurt his hamstring last season and that really lingered, then he tweeked the other one in camp. He's playing tomorrow night. I do agree that I wouldn't trade for him and that he's seen his best years but to totally discount him is off. He's very steady in terms of what he provides and his running style is what the AFCN is all about.