PDA

View Full Version : Book by News writer looks at how Giants and Eli climbed to top of NFL

NY+Giants=NYG
08-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Book by News writer looks at how Giants and Eli climbed to top of NFL
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2008/08/27/2008-08-27_book_by_news_writer_looks_at_how_giants_-2.html?page=0

touchdownmaker
09-04-2008, 04:10 PM
I really liked book. I actually could not put it down. I did have a few issues with it though. Vacchiano bludgeons the reader to death about how much a superbowl legitimizes a quarterback. He also succeeds in making it well known that Eli Manning is a very quiet and private person by mentioning it on what seemed like every other page. I also felt he could have transitioned in and out of seasons a bit better. All told, if he would have resisted hammering home Eli's shy nature as well as a superbowl's weight on a quarterback's legacy the book could have been 50 to 60 pages shorter.

I loved reading the behind the scenes info. Vacchiano did a great job of digging deep to get some great locker room info, as well as how the Giants' offensive philosophy affected Eli's development. It is a must read for the Giants football fan, but just don't expect wonderfully constructed prose........he writes for the Daily News what could you expect.

touchdownmaker
09-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Another thing.........
I have always been bothered by the need for a quarterback to lead his team to a Superbowl in order to be considered great. I would take Marino any day over anyone else the NFL had to offer. Maybe not Peyton Manning because he is in my opinion the smartest quarterback with a strong arm the league has ever seen. Marino is for me the prototype at QB.