PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated Curse: 2008 edition

Geo
08-28-2008, 05:28 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/specials/preview/2008/08/26/main/index.html

See what they did to teams in 2005 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/preview/2005/scout.report/), 2006 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/preview/2006/scout.report/index.html), and 2007 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/preview/2007/scouting.report/).

Bummer for the Eagles and Patriots.

eaglesfan_45
08-28-2008, 05:32 PM
wait, a proffesional magazine putting the Eagles in the super-bowl?

Gay Ork Wang
08-28-2008, 05:35 PM
wow Panthers versus Miami Dolphins....WOW

Geo
08-28-2008, 05:37 PM
That will live in infamy.

The hype train got way out of control for the '06 Dolphins, and it hurt the team. The '08 Vikings should have taken notes.

CashmoneyDrew
08-28-2008, 06:04 PM
I really don't understand all the Eagles hype. At best they finish third in their division IMO.

eaglesfan_45
08-28-2008, 06:12 PM
I really don't understand all the Eagles hype. At best they finish third in their division IMO.

Eagles Hype Explained:

Mcnabb is healthy for the first time since '05 and looks like the old McNabb. He has looked great all TC and pre-season.

Brian Westbrook is poised for an award winning season.

The Eagles have a dynamite young WR in DeSean Jackson, best young WR the Eagles have had in quite a long time.

LJ Smith is healthy and when he is healthy the offense scores

We return the same o-line that has done a great job the past 2-3 seasons.

Eagles have an emerging D-Line with 2 potential stars at DT, a great DE in Trent Cole and a young gun in Abiamiri. Plus there is a ton of depth and have the best overall group of DEs in the NFL.

Young LBs with tons of potential, Bradley has fans excited, he made 1 start and was fantastic in that start. Gocong is developing into a good SLB and Gaither is a veteran at WLB.

Eagles DBs are looking REALLY good. I was skeptical of Quintin Mikell, but he looks great out there. Asante, Lito and Sheldon are the best group of Cbs in the NFL. Brian Dawkins is healthy.

Eagles had a great draft, lots and lots of keepers.

CashmoneyDrew
08-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Meh, it seems like the Eagles are always banged up. Not to mention they are in the toughest division in the NFC. I just don't see it.

BlindSite
08-28-2008, 06:30 PM
wow Panthers versus Miami Dolphins....WOW

That was the year after the Panthers came off an NFCCG appearance understandable. The offense just fell apart though.

It seems though like nearly every NFL analyst and I use that term loosely could benefit from a good dose of shutting the **** up.

I honestly think that if all 32 teams released their own "scouting report" of their team, you'd see a more accurate and interesting read, even though it would smell of homerism.

The only one of these things worth reading anyway is football outsiders.

eaglesfan_45
08-28-2008, 07:50 PM
http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2008/08/27/2008-divisional-predictions-nfc-east/

alright what the hell is going on? 2 weeks ago it was Cowboys over the Eagles every time now I can barely see a division preview that doesn't have the Eagles winning. Did I miss something?

edit: and look who's the cover boy, slowly but surely he is becoming the face of the eagles, I'd give it until next year before he is as widely known as Westy and Mcnabb.

brat316
08-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Madden curse is much more important.

06 the Dolphins who was on that team, that made them look great.

brat316
08-28-2008, 08:03 PM
I think it will be the vikings and chargers

eaglesfan_45
08-28-2008, 08:04 PM
All this recent Eagles love is giving me hope. I don't like it, I don't want to be disapointed.

eaglesfan_45
08-28-2008, 08:05 PM
I think it will be the vikings and chargers

most boring super bowl ever? I think so.

Both are built on run defense and running games, ugh boring. New Orleans v.s. New England would be exciting.

The Unseen
08-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Peter King wrote that he almost picked the Jags. phew.

Problem is, MJD is on one of the six NFL Preview covers.

The Dynasty
08-28-2008, 09:19 PM
most boring super bowl ever? I think so.

Both are built on run defense and running games, ugh boring. New Orleans v.s. New England would be exciting.

It wasnt boring last season when they faced of and 2 records were broken.

diabsoule
08-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Eagles Hype Explained:

Mcnabb is healthy for the first time since '05 and looks like the old McNabb. He has looked great all TC and pre-season.

The Eagles have a dynamite young WR in DeSean Jackson, best young WR the Eagles have had in quite a long time.

Eagles have an emerging D-Line with 2 potential stars at DT, a great DE in Trent Cole and a young gun in Abiamiri. Plus there is a ton of depth and have the best overall group of DEs in the NFL.

Young LBs with tons of potential, Bradley has fans excited, he made 1 start and was fantastic in that start. Gocong is developing into a good SLB and Gaither is a veteran at WLB.

Eagles DBs are looking REALLY good. I was skeptical of Quintin Mikell, but he looks great out there. Asante, Lito and Sheldon are the best group of Cbs in the NFL. Brian Dawkins is healthy.

So if the Eagles just flat out suck this year can we call it the ef_45 curse?

Mr.Regular
08-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Eagles Hype Explained:

They sound perfect!

Gatz
08-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Sports Illustrated is a crap magazine. Kept mailing me issues even though I stopped the subscription. If there is a curse then Phelps is screwed. 3 straight issues with him on the cover.

eaglesfan_45
08-28-2008, 11:40 PM
So if the Eagles just flat out suck this year can we call it the ef_45 curse?

hey, thats what the hype is about. Eagles are a complete team who's biggest weaknesses are LB (young developing players) and WR (DeSean Jackson and that is all). They need to begin the rebuilding this off-season with Dawkins, Thomas and Runyan all being FA and possibly retiring. Eagles need some youth at FS and LT but right now they are filled by savy veterans like Dawkins and William Thomas. Don't sleep on the Eagles, the window is closing and Andy Reid is on a warm seat as is McNabb, so expect some desperation as well i.e. no more conservative game calling at the end of games, play with no mercy just like the Patriots did, run up the score.

yo123
08-29-2008, 12:22 AM
They sound perfect!

Obviously, every team in the NFL is before the season starts. The fun part is laughing at them after their team falls flat on their ass.

neko4
08-29-2008, 12:40 AM
Im so tired of all the vikings hype. Its making me sick, how come we didnt get the same sort of respect and predictions last year?

The Dynasty
08-29-2008, 12:43 AM
Im so tired of all the vikings hype. Its making me sick, how come we didnt get the same sort of respect and predictions last year?

Because Green Bay is expected to do well as long as they had Favre on the team and they never needed hype because they received it every year. It just seems a lot because your the rival. Maybe. I know I get sick of the Packers Stuff early in the year.

Burns336
08-29-2008, 02:28 AM
hey, thats what the hype is about. Eagles are a complete team who's biggest weaknesses are LB (young developing players) and WR (DeSean Jackson and that is all). They need to begin the rebuilding this off-season with Dawkins, Thomas and Runyan all being FA and possibly retiring. Eagles need some youth at FS and LT but right now they are filled by savy veterans like Dawkins and William Thomas. Don't sleep on the Eagles, the window is closing and Andy Reid is on a warm seat as is McNabb, so expect some desperation as well i.e. no more conservative game calling at the end of games, play with no mercy just like the Patriots did, run up the score.

Yeah so the eagles got better, healthier, more solid all around and apparently they were the only team in the NFC east who had a draft.

I'm a bit more cautious now that Osi has gone down and Strahan wont return, but I would have placed the eagles in the 3 spot.

LJ shelton is also the worst TE in the division... I find it funny he was one of the focal points. Also, relying on Desean Jackson as the most explosive receiver you've have in awhile? You know the preseason doesn't count right?

Iamcanadian
08-29-2008, 07:26 AM
I think it is pretty obvious that the Cowboys, the Eagles and New Orleans are all expected to have excellent seasons, why, because right now, they haven't any serious injuries and have a star at QB. The Giants are a huge question mark facing the 1st time winner's SB jinx and the loss of Osi and Strahan. Personally, I think they are toast. Seattle is a tough call until we see their RB and WR's effectiveness.
Of course, we will have to see how the injury part of the game plays out for the top favourites. The Eagles have the worse injury history among the top 3 and that always will be a question mark until we get well into the season but if they stay healthy, they'll give the Cowboys a run for their money. New Orleans has no real track record as a consistant playoff team so they too will have to show real staying power before we are sure about them.

Gay Ork Wang
08-29-2008, 07:57 AM
what the hell is the first time SB jinx?

Geo
08-29-2008, 10:21 AM
I don't know, but I checked to see if Google had the 2005 predictions (added the link to the first post) and those bastards jinxed the Colts. Thank goodness SI didn't pick them this year.

Addict
08-29-2008, 11:08 AM
I don't know, but I checked to see if Google had the 2005 predictions (added the link to the first post) and those bastards jinxed the Colts. Thank goodness SI didn't pick them this year.

I'm just curious, with all the curses about (madden curse, SI curse) are there any blessings?

Geo
08-29-2008, 11:13 AM
In 2006, the Colts at Giants was the first Sunday Night Football of the season (not counting the Thursday season opener). In 2007, the Giants at Dallas was the same of that season. Madden and Michaels on the first Sunday night is a blessing for the road team?

This season the first SNF has the Bears at Colts ... the Bears are going to win it all this year! :D

Addict
08-29-2008, 11:17 AM
In 2006, the Colts at Giants was the first Sunday Night Football of the season (not counting the Thursday season opener). In 2007, the Giants at Dallas was the same of that season. Madden and Michaels on the first Sunday night is a blessing for the road team?

This season the first SNF has the Bears at Colts ... the Bears are going to win it all this year! :D

I can't beat that logic.

DeathbyStat
08-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Madden curse is much more important.

06 the Dolphins who was on that team, that made them look great.

Dante Culpepper at the helm

bored of education
08-29-2008, 12:39 PM
go Patriots!

eaglesfan_45
08-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Yeah so the eagles got better, healthier, more solid all around and apparently they were the only team in the NFC east who had a draft.

I'm a bit more cautious now that Osi has gone down and Strahan wont return, but I would have placed the eagles in the 3 spot.

LJ shelton is also the worst TE in the division... I find it funny he was one of the focal points. Also, relying on Desean Jackson as the most explosive receiver you've have in awhile? You know the preseason doesn't count right?

That is a fair statement.
however, we are not the only team that had a draft, when did I ever imply that? the Eagles draft is looking really good right now.

well seeing as LJ Shelton is a OT I would expect him to be pretty bad and I'm not so sure he's in the division. LJ Smith on the other hand is not the worst TE, Kevin Boss is, LJ Smith is injury prone but he is a good TE and of course you're going to be #3 when you're in a division with guys like Witten and Cooley.

Did I ever say we were relying on a rookie WR? No I did not. I said that he is the best YOUNG WR the Eagles have had in a while I never said he was the only option.

Oh and yes I do know that the pre-season doesn't count. However it does serve as an indication for how players/teams will do on occasion.

Go_Eagles77
08-29-2008, 04:16 PM
lol at LJ Shelton, get the name right before you bash him. But seriously I don't get involved with this, it obviously means nothing and I'd rather the eagles be under the radar.

jth1331
08-29-2008, 09:10 PM
I guess they finally got off the Panthers bandwagon last year.
I remember that 2006 season prediction, Dolphins and Panthers, lol. Everybody expected the Dolphins to be amazing when they actually did jack squat to improve the team.
A couple things with this prediction:
Jets and Bills both 9-7?
Eagles 12-4?(i don't see them winning 12 games personally)
Vikings 13-3?

I find it funny only 3 teams in the NFC will have 10 or more wins based on that prediction, and 2 division winners will be 9-7.

And also, no way are the Dolphins 3 games better than the Raiders, who I absolutely hate.

wicket
09-03-2008, 03:32 PM
I would be heartbroken if the saints would finish up 8-8 in the division. They should at least be able to win the division imo. But then again there are plenty more weird things about it.

Sniper
09-03-2008, 03:46 PM
LJ shelton is also the worst TE in the division... I find it funny he was one of the focal points.

It's LJ Smith, but you know, facts always get in the way of a good time. He's the worst TE in the division? He held that title until Shockey left. Let me know when Boss has more than one good play, and then we can talk about Smith being the worst. And it's still a goddamn good division for TEs, with Witten and Cooley and there used to be Shockey. And the Eagles go to Smith a lot in the red zone, so try not talking out of your ass next time, that'd be stellar. Thanks.

Sniper
09-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Philadelphia offense since LJ Smith has been in Philly

2007: 21.0 ppg, 17th in the league (10 games played, some injured)
2006: 24.9 ppg, 6th in the league (16 games played)
2005: 19.4 ppg, 18th in the league (16 games played, but McNabb missed a huge portion of the year)
2004: 24.1 ppg, 8th overall (16 games played)
2003: 23.4 ppg, 11th overall (15 games played)

So yeah, when McNabb has been (relatively) healthy and Smith has played more than 10 games, the Eagles' offense has been in the top 11. Coincidence?

CC.SD
09-03-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm just curious, with all the curses about (madden curse, SI curse) are there any blessings?

Winning in England?

Gay Ork Wang
09-04-2008, 07:52 AM
So either the chargers or the saints are going to win the SB? Interesting

D-Rod
09-04-2008, 08:09 AM
So either the chargers or the saints are going to win the SB? Interesting

Well, unless there's a tie...

Gay Ork Wang
09-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Well, unless there's a tie...
then they both are going to win?

ShutDwn
09-04-2008, 09:40 AM
I guess they finally got off the Panthers bandwagon last year.

What is with people and this misconstrued memory of a Panthers bandwagon? People act like they have been picked every year since the 90's. They were picked one time, after they had gotten to the NFC championship game and they weren't picked after that.

Geo
09-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Check out the 2005 predictions.