PDA

View Full Version : best fits for Tebow

Buttered toast sonic
08-28-2008, 06:54 PM
I think the 3 best fits for Tim Tebow, as a prospect, are seattle, New orleans and Indianapolis

why you say?

1. all 3 are playoff bound teams with older/questionably healthy QB's (remember Brees has had work on his shoulder)

2. He could sit on the bench for a year or two while these quarterbacks play it out and learn to operate an NFL offense

3. all three are in his current range, later half of round 1, and for two (seattle and Indy) you can argue have no great big needs

eaglesfan_45
08-28-2008, 06:58 PM
The Arena Football League kind, he needs some serious improvements if he wants to sniff a #2 job in the NFL

GB12
08-28-2008, 06:59 PM
It might be a good fit for him, but not for the teams. All three have top QBs. None of which are over 32. Tebow wouldn't be a great fit in those offenses either.

08-28-2008, 06:59 PM
The Arena Foot Ball League kind, he needs some serious improvements if he wants to sniff a #2 job in the NFL

I have no idea whatsoever what you're talking about .

princefielder28
08-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Tebow needs a hell of a quarterbacks coach like Jim Zorn to work with him to get him asserted to the NFL level. These no doubt that he has the tools, but his release needs to be worked, and a later first round team wherehe can sit would be his best case scenario. He could be the next Byron Leftwich or someone as good as Culpepper if given the right coaching.

eaglesfan_45
08-28-2008, 07:07 PM
I have no idea whatsoever what you're talking about .

He has absolutely horrendous footwork and pllays in a run-option offense and it will take him 2-3 years to learn an NFL offense. He has horrible touch on the football, which is difficult to catch. He has decent accuracy on the deep ball, but it's very inconsistent in the intermediate routes. Extremely long release and has shown no improvement in his mechanics over his career. Locks on to primary receivers all the time. Speed at wide receiver made a lot of his throws look better than they actually were. Tim Tebow lacks the basic precision passing qualities for what it takes to be an NFL quarterback. Really needs to improve his mechanics.

Iamcanadian
08-28-2008, 08:35 PM
First, I'm not at all sure he will declare. Coming into the NFL as a junior is a highly risky business and how well Russell fairs this season may determine if we see a whole lot of new junior QB's declare. As a sophomore, Tebow's stats put Payton's, Brady's and McNabb's stats to shame never mind what he will accomplish if he stays in college 2 more seasons. Few sophomore college QB's can pass muster from pro scouts, they are simply way too inexperienced to get any kind of a read on them.
If Tebow stays till his senior year when he has had time to learn the nuances of the QB position such as reading defenses, improved throwing motion, more accurate passer etc. etc., then you could be looking at another Peyton as he matures. Right now it's way too early to get a good read on him.
No body saw a pro QB in Ryan until much later in his career, the same for Brady, Edwards, Favre, Pennington, Anderson, Roethlisberger, Palmer, VY, Rivers, Cutler, Romo, Campbell, Rodgers, Jackson, Orton, Kitna, Brees, Delhomme, Garcia, Hasselback, Warner, Sullivan. All these guys really were questionable until they put together a very solid senior season. As sophomores, none of these players were wowing pro scouts or even being mentioned for their pro potential, so again judging Tebow today is rather foolish and unproductive. Let's see how he develops before rushing to judgment.

bantx
08-28-2008, 08:46 PM
The Arena Football League kind, he needs some serious improvements if he wants to sniff a #2 job in the NFL

do u watch college football?

CashmoneyDrew
08-28-2008, 08:50 PM
I hope he's prepared to sit the bench for about 5 years if the colts draft him.

eaglesfan_45
08-28-2008, 08:50 PM
do u watch college football?

oh, don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic college football player but does his game carry over well to the NFL? he has all the tools but right now his mechanics are pretty bad, like not NFL caliber bad. He is no more the QB than Pat White right now. If he does all the things he says he will do then I will undoubtedly change my opinion but based off of last season, he is a rather large project.

Shane P. Hallam
08-28-2008, 09:10 PM
It could. We really don't know.

Anyway, I think Tampa Bay, San Francisco and maybe even the Jets would be interesting places for him to end up. Maybe Minnesota? Though I doubt they look that way...

Unbiased
08-28-2008, 10:17 PM
I really can't see him coming out after this season.

brat316
08-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Guys lets remember even though he is not Alex Smith, they both come from the same offense. And Urban even said when Smith entered the NFL that, it would take a few years to shed the tricks that has picked up from his system. I don't expect anything different from Tebow.

But the three teams you put up there are ridiculous. Even though all the qbs are over 30, now NFL qb do end up playing longer than usual. And someone like Manning might be around for a while, since he doesn't get hit much. I could see Manning being here untill he is 37. Same with the other guys they could probably play till they are 35 or so.

Also I doubt he comes out early unless he knows he will be probably #1 overall or he knows his team next year will be crappy and no shot at a good bowl game or NC.

Race for the Heisman
08-28-2008, 11:05 PM
In terms of the style of the offense and the personnel they have now (quarterback aside), the Bengals seem like they would be a good fit. They have a pretty good offensive line which would help his adjustment and as of now they have the have a vertical passing game, which I think is one of Tebow's better qualities as a passer. Philadelphia, too, and Dallas. The Browns. Generally I would say a more vertical team with good personnel would qualify itself pretty readily.

In terms of best situation, where he could be eased in gradually with a veteran ahead of him, a good offensive line, good targets, and a good quarterbacks' coach all in a stable organization, Indianapolis is obviously a quarterback's wet dream. The Cardinals wouldn't be too bad. New England might have been good but they just got their project in Kevin O'Connell. Carolina and Seattle would be good except both will almost undoubtedly have coaching turnovers. St. Louis, too, if Bulger keeps sucking ass. Kansas City would be a really interesting spot.

holt_bruce81
08-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Anyone else think Tebow can make for a sick TE?

eaglesfan_45
08-28-2008, 11:24 PM

incredible draft dude is that you?

CashmoneyDrew
08-28-2008, 11:25 PM

How? He's like 6'2 and he doesn't catch passes at all. I don't see how that translates into a pro TE.

The Lost Art
08-28-2008, 11:29 PM
not as a qb

TheBuffaloBills
08-28-2008, 11:32 PM
I am going to call it right now.

Tebow to Jets round 2.

eaglesfan_45
08-28-2008, 11:41 PM
I am going to call it right now.

Tebow to Jets round 2.

in 2010 of course

Vox Populi
08-29-2008, 12:14 AM
I think that Tampa Bay could be a good fit for Tebow, probably his best fit among teams that could be in the market for a quarterback. Gruden would probably love the opportunity to work with a talented young kid like Tebow and turn him into something incredible. This would also be a good situation for Tebow to go into. The Bucs have a lot of veteran quarterbacks who can manage games and not lose them. Most of their quarterbacks are polar opposites of Tebow. They are smart players who win games by not screwing up, and keeping it simple. Tebow would be able to learn a lot of things from these guys like Griese and Garcia. He would also be able to sit for a year, and probably come in late in games that are out of reach, obvious goal line situations, etc. I think that Tampa Bay is his best destination and most likely suitor even if he wasn't the best value pick. I am talking about their second round pick of course. They probably will not be in the first round quarterback conversation like the 49ers, Bears and Chiefs, among others.

The rest of the teams in the league I think will shy away from Tebow until he is obviously the most talented option left on their board because no one is going to want to have to take responsibility for having to make a player out of him. Gruden is the only guy I can see who would want to do that for sure and take an EARLY gamble on Tebow. In the second round I could certainly see the 49ers and Vikings picking him up, and maybe even Dallas at the end of round 2 if Brad Johnson finally retires. The Jets if they don't like Clemens anymore, and the Bears could definitely be in the quarterback market as well, along with the Panthers if they want to find Delhomme's successor now.

vidae
08-29-2008, 12:29 AM
He's a great college player but I'm not as high on him as some. I'm kinda hoping he doesn't land anywhere near KC.

holt_bruce81
08-29-2008, 05:11 AM
How? He's like 6'2 and he doesn't catch passes at all. I don't see how that translates into a pro TE.

A lot of QBs translate to Receivers in the NFL.

Addict
08-29-2008, 05:16 AM

maybe a WR, TE's do too much blocking.

brat316
08-29-2008, 06:00 AM
maybe a WR, TE's do too much blocking.

He would be an amazing goal line back

Iamcanadian
08-29-2008, 07:47 AM
I think that Tampa Bay could be a good fit for Tebow, probably his best fit among teams that could be in the market for a quarterback. Gruden would probably love the opportunity to work with a talented young kid like Tebow and turn him into something incredible. This would also be a good situation for Tebow to go into. The Bucs have a lot of veteran quarterbacks who can manage games and not lose them. Most of their quarterbacks are polar opposites of Tebow. They are smart players who win games by not screwing up, and keeping it simple. Tebow would be able to learn a lot of things from these guys like Griese and Garcia. He would also be able to sit for a year, and probably come in late in games that are out of reach, obvious goal line situations, etc. I think that Tampa Bay is his best destination and most likely suitor even if he wasn't the best value pick. I am talking about their second round pick of course. They probably will not be in the first round quarterback conversation like the 49ers, Bears and Chiefs, among others.

The rest of the teams in the league I think will shy away from Tebow until he is obviously the most talented option left on their board because no one is going to want to have to take responsibility for having to make a player out of him. Gruden is the only guy I can see who would want to do that for sure and take an EARLY gamble on Tebow. In the second round I could certainly see the 49ers and Vikings picking him up, and maybe even Dallas at the end of round 2 if Brad Johnson finally retires. The Jets if they don't like Clemens anymore, and the Bears could definitely be in the quarterback market as well, along with the Panthers if they want to find Delhomme's successor now.

NFL teams never shy away from talent otherwise VY doesn't go #3 in a very good draft year. If Tebow has a pro arm, NFL teams will be lined up to take a shot with him. The fact is that every college system isn't a really good training method for pro QB's. They all have to make huge adjustments when they reach the pros. College QB's are rarely asked to make a throw they have difficulty with and reading defenses is only of minimal importance. That's why such a high % of college QB's take 3 years to become effective pros. If Tebow has the arm, brains and leadership qualities, he'll go very high in any draft. If he lacks any of those qualities, he go lower. Considering, he is just entering his junior year, nobody is sure just what Tebow is capable of.

TheBuffaloBills
08-29-2008, 09:55 AM
incredible draft dude is that you?

He would say, "Stick him at DE. He is 6'3 235 and can be a sweet pass rusher that will lead the league in sacks. Since he is a QB, he can think like a QB and get to the quarterback faster than anyone in the league. "

Addict
08-29-2008, 11:15 AM
He would say, "Stick him at DE. He is 6'3 235 and can be a sweet pass rusher that will lead the league in sacks. Since he is a QB, he can think like a QB and get to the quarterback faster than anyone in the league. "

yeah ICD would probably project him as a 3-4 OLB

skinzzfan25
08-29-2008, 11:17 AM
http://www.tebowner.com/

Is that a Tebowner or are you just happy to see me? :D

TheBuffaloBills
08-29-2008, 11:25 AM
"When Tim Tebow goes to donate blood, he declines the syringe, and instead requests a hand gun and a bucket." Haha thats pretty funny.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-29-2008, 11:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxe8R6BhdBQ

08-29-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm liking the Vikings as a good possible fit if this Jackson experiment fails for good. If you don't ask him to do too much behind that line and running game you could have yourself another Roethlisberger-type situation on your hands imo .

nhlkdog411
08-30-2008, 12:26 AM
jesus...if vince young can be a top 5 pick i think tebow deserves mention as more than a goal line back..some of you people are ridiculous

PACKmanN
08-30-2008, 01:44 AM
I bet you guys Tebow>Hester as a returner.

hockey619
08-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Tim Tebow will get first round consideration because of his leadership qualities and the fact that he played well in all of his games. Most guys have at least one game that makes you go "wow, that was ugly" but he was pretty solid all year. Georgia wasnt a great game for him, especially rushing, but he still was solid passing wise.

Vince got picked 3rd overall despite a weak showing passing against Rice. What hurts his odds in the "VY can go high in the first, why cant Tebow" argument is that VY was faster and played amazing on the biggest stage in one of the most anticipated games of his career as well as playing great against Ohio State in another big time game. Tebow can still prove something like that but odds are that oppurtunity wont show itself like it did for VY. This and his size/speed combo gave Vince a 'wow, what next' factor that Tebow isnt going to have.

Tebow has a solid enough arm and can make the throws, especially when he steps into his passes, but his accuracy is not gunna cut it. Dont listen to the media 'experts' who say hes got the accuracy cause he just doesnt have it right now. The holes that the misdirection of the spread offense create give him large windows to pass into that dont exist in the NFL, and if you watch where the ball is placed when it reaches the reciever, it can often be on the wrong shoulder or off target in another similar way. His footwork is part of the problem as there are times that its brutally sloppy and that leads to some really inconsistent throws. His deep ball hangs just a little to long a lot of times, causing the reciever to have to slow down and allowing the corner to catch up and make a play on the ball. His release is a little slow and akward and thats not gunna get fixed in college i dont think cause Meyer hasnt done much to help him fix his other mechanical flaws yet either, so i have to wonder that what his flaws are now, they will still be there whenever he gets drafted. Thats probably my biggest concern: Meyer. He hasnt done much to tinker with Tebow and prepare him for the future to this point and I dont know if hes ever gunna, which hurts Tebows future as its no better than his present.

What I like is that hes a one tough hombre, both physically and mentally. Hes a hard worker who has all the personality traits to be successful in the NFL, so its hard to think that with some good coaching, patience, and a willingness to accept coaching, he couldnt become successful at the pro level. When he does step into his throws, he throws a good ball and can put it on the money, its just a matter of doing it more often. To me, hes a hard guy to pick against because his mental make up is to good to fail to at least be given a shot as a starting quarterback in the NFL, i just worry that Meyer isnt going to properly prepare him for the next level and help him develop the way other quarterbacks do when there in college.

I feel like ideally, he gets drafted in two years by Jacksonville and sits behind Garrard for a few years as he would be able to sit multiple years behind a solid veteran, meaning less pressure from fans to see the future now, before being the starter. I really feel like hed be able to adapt to any system that he was drafted into but i personally think that a system should be designed around the strengths of the qb and team, not making guys run whatever system the coach brings in. I can see him going to any team in need of a quarterback in the distant future (2-3 years) of when they draft him taking a shot on him.

etk
08-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Best fit for Tebow? The CFL maybe? He is the definition of a system QB, and I have absolutely no doubt that he will be a colossal bust. Worse than Alex Smith by a landslide.

Tampa is the absolute worst fit for Tebow. Our offense is practically the opposite of what he runs at Florida. I'd try him out at fullback though, maybe he's the next Alstott.

Iamcanadian
08-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Tim Tebow will get first round consideration because of his leadership qualities and the fact that he played well in all of his games. Most guys have at least one game that makes you go "wow, that was ugly" but he was pretty solid all year. Georgia wasnt a great game for him, especially rushing, but he still was solid passing wise.

Vince got picked 3rd overall despite a weak showing passing against Rice. What hurts his odds in the "VY can go high in the first, why cant Tebow" argument is that VY was faster and played amazing on the biggest stage in one of the most anticipated games of his career as well as playing great against Ohio State in another big time game. Tebow can still prove something like that but odds are that oppurtunity wont show itself like it did for VY. This and his size/speed combo gave Vince a 'wow, what next' factor that Tebow isnt going to have.

---I think when you win the Heisman trophy as the only sophomore to ever do it, you have a lot of that 'wow' factor your talking about. Looking at the SEC schedule, I think Florida has an excellent chance to finish 1st overall and go to the NC game. Georgia's schedule is a heck of a lot tougher than Florida's.

Tebow has a solid enough arm and can make the throws, especially when he steps into his passes, but his accuracy is not gunna cut it. Dont listen to the media 'experts' who say hes got the accuracy cause he just doesnt have it right now. The holes that the misdirection of the spread offense create give him large windows to pass into that dont exist in the NFL, and if you watch where the ball is placed when it reaches the reciever, it can often be on the wrong shoulder or off target in another similar way. His footwork is part of the problem as there are times that its brutally sloppy and that leads to some really inconsistent throws. His deep ball hangs just a little to long a lot of times, causing the reciever to have to slow down and allowing the corner to catch up and make a play on the ball. His release is a little slow and akward and thats not gunna get fixed in college i dont think cause Meyer hasnt done much to help him fix his other mechanical flaws yet either, so i have to wonder that what his flaws are now, they will still be there whenever he gets drafted. Thats probably my biggest concern: Meyer. He hasnt done much to tinker with Tebow and prepare him for the future to this point and I dont know if hes ever gunna, which hurts Tebows future as its no better than his present.

---Judging accuracy when a player is a sophomore is rather misleading if you ask me. Stafford who a lot of experts are talking about as a possible #1 overall pick in this year's draft, hasn't shown a thing concerning accuracy in his 2 seasons as a starter yet it hasn't stopped pro teams from being very interested to see if he can improve as a junior.
Sure, the system he plays in isn't going to really prepare him for pro ball, few college systems really prepare anybody for pro ball. Tom Brady only became a starter at Michigan when Henson left and only had 1 year starting and look how it affected him. Joe Thoamas, the OT who was the #3 pick in the draft and helped Cleveland's passing attack be really effective, played for Wisconsin who has an offense that stresses the run and spends most of its practice time on learning how to be a run blocker, yet he could enter the NFL and dominate as a pass blocker. People, IMO tend to overestimate the toughness of a player's ability to adjust to pro ball from their college system if they have talent and intelligence. Few college HC's are interested in preparing a player for the next level. They want to win now and concentrate on teaching a player what to do in their system, they couldn't give a d-mn about the player's needs as a pro prospect.
People tend to think that since Smith failed, Tebow will also have problems but pro scouts look at the individual and if he has a pro arm, has leadership abilities and shows a willingness to put in the time to improve, with of course some intelligence, they really don't care about the system he played in. Flacco played in meaningless games, his whole college career, he was beat out at Pittsburgh for the starting position yet he became a 1st rounder, why. Because he has a pro arm, showed scouts some leadership ability, a willingness to learn and enough intelligence to convince them that he has a real shot.

What I like is that hes a one tough hombre, both physically and mentally. Hes a hard worker who has all the personality traits to be successful in the NFL, so its hard to think that with some good coaching, patience, and a willingness to accept coaching, he couldnt become successful at the pro level. When he does step into his throws, he throws a good ball and can put it on the money, its just a matter of doing it more often. To me, hes a hard guy to pick against because his mental make up is to good to fail to at least be given a shot as a starting quarterback in the NFL, i just worry that Meyer isnt going to properly prepare him for the next level and help him develop the way other quarterbacks do when there in college.

---As I mentioned earlier, few college HC's ever prepare any player for the pro game, they are interested in one thing, winning using their system now.

I feel like ideally, he gets drafted in two years by Jacksonville and sits behind Garrard for a few years as he would be able to sit multiple years behind a solid veteran, meaning less pressure from fans to see the future now, before being the starter. I really feel like hed be able to adapt to any system that he was drafted into but i personally think that a system should be designed around the strengths of the qb and team, not making guys run whatever system the coach brings in. I can see him going to any team in need of a quarterback in the distant future (2-3 years) of when they draft him taking a shot on him.

---He is going to be a 1st rounder hopefully in 2 years as long as he passes muster re: arm strength, leadership qualities, and intelligence. He isn't going to sit for a few years, he will probably start by his 8th game of his rookie pro season. It is very unlikely he gets drafted late enough for any solid team to draft him. Only time will tell if he can adjust to pro ball. That's a problem every rookie faces no matter what position they play. Tebow will have to make it as a pro based on his arm, I seriously doubt any pro team will ask him to carry the ball. He's not a VY or a Vick so I also doubt that any pro team will change its offense, he's the one who will have to adjust.

JT Jag
08-30-2008, 11:54 AM
I'd be willing to make a sig bet, with ANYONE, that Tim Tebow won't come out this year.

Because he's not, and I challenge anyone to come at me with a logical reason as to why he would.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Because he's not, and I challenge anyone to come at me with a logical reason as to why he would.

Money.

Once you have already won a BCS Championship and the Heisman trophy, what reason do you have to stay in college? It isn't like a degree from Florida is some great thing.

hockey619
08-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Nah, Tebow doesnt have the wow factor that got Vince drafted that high. Vince ran for about 7 ypc during his soph and junior years and made people miss like he was playing on an elementary school playground, and had some really long and impressive runs during that time. Tebow ran for a little over 4 ypc, and never really made an amazing jaw dropping run like those of Young at Texas. This definitely made Young more exciting to watch as he could break a long run at anytime it seemed.

Young also had a HUGE game on the national stage that made him a legend, and while Tebow does have a Heisman as a sophmore, Young had what has been called the greatest single game by a player ever. So while this point is kind of arguable as to which is a bigger deal, soph-with-heisman, or Vincesanity, I'd say the latter vaulted him more as it was right before his draft. All that said, Tebow still has at least one more year of playing, and while his team might make the NC game, it probable wont have the hype of the USC-Texas game and probably wont play out as well for Tebow as it did for VY just because the odds of it happening are low. Not Tebows fault, just that everything came together just right for VY, and that Tebow will therefore be more a victim of circumstance and not any fault of his own.

I was judging his accuracy from what I've seen rather than playing guessing games and wondering how much he will improve. But i do agree that its kinda unfair, as with his work ethic he will improve, its just a question of how much, so we'll have to wait and see. I just wonder if hes gunna be able to anticipate where a window will be and then fit it in that small area in the pros, because the throws he has to make now are simple. Qb's in the past have failed to transition from his Off. to the NFL, and while its not fair to then assume its impossible to go from a spread to a pro NFL offense, the fact that it hasnt been done at a good success rate does prove that the odds are stacked against him and that the system he is in does hinder develepment to the proffessional level, especially footwork because hes in the shotgun all the time. Im not too worried about reading defenses as every team uses different reads and complicated calls so its a hard transition no matter what college offense you were in, but the spreads reads are very simple and different from a dropback passers reads. But he also played in a spread in high school, so dropping back from center is very foreign to him, which has to be a concern. And making reads while doing a drop from center for someone who hasnt done it in since middle school is a daunting task.

Where I will say that argument is flimsy is that qbs who played under center in more pro like Off's in college have also failed to make the pros...Its just that offense means hes also gunna have to prove he can drop back from under center and read a D as he goes, so to say that by game 8 of his rookie year that he'l be in is, well possible, but not ideal, as he will most likely struggle mightily those last 8 games of that season. The thing is that he is mentally tough so if he can battle through all the criticism and progress he could still succeed under those circumstances but it would be significantly more difficult than just sitting and learning.

Players have position coaches that are their to help them improve and make them better. Tebow hasnt made any mechanical improvements since high school, so hes falling behind with is footwork. Other qbs make mechanical improvement during college, he needs to as well or he'll drill himself in bad habits longer and make them harder to break later on, making his transition harder.

And I hate Stafford as a prospect, hes got an arm.....and thats it. Nothing special in production or anything compared to Tebow and my personal fav, Nate Davis. I also think that he has a soft build and that coupled with his questionable decision making, marginal improvement in my eyes, makes me question his work ethic. So all that said i had to choose I'd take Tebow over Stafford every time cause I think Tebow will keep improving when he gets to the pros with his work ethic and determination to succeed, while I dont think Stafford will. He could have a break out year and shut me up, but for the reasons ive listed above I dont see it and i dont like him. (sorry for the rant, back on topic)

Im not a Tebow hater, dont get me wrong. I like him and think that he can succeed because his great mental makeup and work ethic will get him through anything and lead him to success. But he has a lot of things he'll need to fix to be ready for a pro offense, more than the average qb coming out does. He will be a first round pick, i think hed be worth the shot,

princefielder28
08-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Money.

Once you have already won a BCS Championship and the Heisman trophy, what reason do you have to stay in college? It isn't like a degree from Florida is some great thing.

he comes from a wealthy family so money isn't a problem.

JT Jag
08-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Money.

Once you have already won a BCS Championship and the Heisman trophy, what reason do you have to stay in college? It isn't like a degree from Florida is some great thing.Doesn't matter. Parents are already multi-millionaires: He ain't hurting for cash.

In fact, I wouldn't be at ALL surprised if he went the other way entirely and went on a mission for a year after his senior season.

TheBuffaloBills
08-30-2008, 12:27 PM
I am going to go out on a limb here. If McNabb has another injury ridden season, I could see the Eagles taking him in the first or second round.

princefielder28
08-30-2008, 12:28 PM
I am going to go out on a limb here. If McNabb has another injury ridden season, I could see the Eagles taking him in the first or second round.

They drafted Kevin Kolb two years ago

d34ng3l021
08-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Unless he makes some major improvement in his footwork and throwing mechanics and the reads he makes, I think he will be a major bust. The only redeeming quality about him is a big arm and athleticism, and right now, I think its safe to say that unless he has the right coaches, he will not adjust to the pro game well.

He is like a combination between Byron Leftwich (throwing motion) and Alex Smith (Urban Meyer) with a bit of Vince Young (athleticism).

Look at how long he takes to wind up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lNeKnfPIuI). Unless he goes to a team with an amazing offensive line and sits for a year or two, I dont see him succeeding. Defensive lineman are going to be licking their chops when they get that extra second to get him. Also, defensive backs are going to be more aware of where the ball is going to go. That extra second can tip them off. Here is Byron Leftwich's throw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppyLiuDlH9w). Look at where he has ended up.

Look in comparison with Peyton Manning (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRhhW59cFQM). Sure its overkill, but he is the guy with the best mechanics. Look how quickly the ball leaves his hand.

Maybe I am just being nit picky, but those mechanics, plus a somewhat simple college offense will hurt him alot as a pro.

BuddyCHRIST
08-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Didn't Lorenzo Neal retire? Chargers could use a fullback.

BuddyCHRIST
08-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Money.

Ok I go to FSU and hate UF, but that was stupid. UF is one of the best academic schools in the country.

BigJohn98
08-30-2008, 02:30 PM
I'd be willing to make a sig bet, with ANYONE, that Tim Tebow won't come out this year.

Why are we the only two people who see this?

etk
08-30-2008, 02:34 PM

Because Tebow has won a Heisman, a National Championship, has a chance to be a high draft pick and plays in an offense where he takes a lot of hits and has a high risk of injury. He should declare as soon as possible. The only possible explanation for him staying in school would be the Matt Leinart/Brady Quinn complex.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Ok I go to FSU and hate UF, but that was stupid. UF is one of the best academic schools in the country.

It's a good school, but it's not a school that is so good that a degree from there would help balance out a signing bonus in excess of 20 million dollars for simply showing up in the NFL (especially considering that Tebow is majoring in community science).

Staubach12
08-30-2008, 04:27 PM
I think the 3 best fits for Tim Tebow, as a prospect, are seattle, New orleans and Indianapolis

why you say?

1. all 3 are playoff bound teams with older/questionably healthy QB's (remember Brees has had work on his shoulder)

2. He could sit on the bench for a year or two while these quarterbacks play it out and learn to operate an NFL offense

3. all three are in his current range, later half of round 1, and for two (seattle and Indy) you can argue have no great big needs

Okay, so you're three teams are Seattle, Indy, and NO? Are you kidding? All three of those QBs are top-5. There's no way any of those teams are going to draft a QB. In terms of teams who he could go to, I can see Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, Carolina, Tampa Bay (you never know with Gruden...), San Fansisco, and St. Louis. Minny or Chicago seems most likely.

princefielder28
08-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Seattle has to be kept as an option, especially if Tebow stays for his senior year; he'd be a part of the 2010 draft. Matt Hasselbeck would be 34 years old following the '09 season, and the 2010 season is the last year of his contract with Seattle. He's recently battled injuries so his long term durability is in question and they have no one behind him who qualifies as the future of the franchise at the QB position. Tebow would learn a year of the system and learn from Hasselbeck, and then come year two Hasselbeck will have moved on and Tebow given his chance. Seattle could hold onto Hasslebeck for a year or two longer as well if they feel Tebow wasn't ready.

Realistic possibility

JT Jag
08-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Because Tebow has won a Heisman, a National Championship, has a chance to be a high draft pick and plays in an offense where he takes a lot of hits and has a high risk of injury. He should declare as soon as possible. The only possible explanation for him staying in school would be the Matt Leinart/Brady Quinn complex.Ooor he's been brought up by his parents to value education more then the average football player.

d34ng3l021
08-30-2008, 10:12 PM
It would be best for Tebow to come out after this year. If he stays for his senior season, scouts are going to tear him into so many pieces. Guys like Brian Brohm, Matt Leinart, and Brady Quinn all dropped because of this, and they actually had great mechanics. Everything he does in his senior season will be held to a microscope and everyone will become aware of his throwing motion.

This is on the assumption that he will not improve. He always could (but I dont see it happening seeing he already dominates college football).

BuddyCHRIST
08-30-2008, 10:32 PM
It's a good school, but it's not a school that is so good that a degree from there would help balance out a signing bonus in excess of 20 million dollars for simply showing up in the NFL (especially considering that Tebow is majoring in community science).

oh obviously, not to mention gainseville is an absolute shthole but he's a god there who likes to play with little boy's genitals so I think he'll stay.

jballa838
08-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Seattle has David Greene and Seneca Wallace who aren't that bad, but aren't at Hasselbeck's level.
Plus I hate TeBlow. ;)

Pb&j
08-30-2008, 11:16 PM

Damn dude, there is more to life than money.

etk
08-30-2008, 11:22 PM
It would be best for Tebow to come out after this year. If he stays for his senior season, scouts are going to tear him into so many pieces. Guys like Brian Brohm, Matt Leinart, and Brady Quinn all dropped because of this, and they actually had great mechanics. Everything he does in his senior season will be held to a microscope and everyone will become aware of his throwing motion.

This is on the assumption that he will not improve. He always could (but I dont see it happening seeing he already dominates college football).

Your point is valid, but in this case it already applies. The 3 you mentioned made names for themselves as Juniors....Tebow won a Heisman as a Sophomore. He's under that microscope right now and everyone will become aware of his problems instead of OMGZ look at the toolz and #z.

CashmoneyDrew
08-30-2008, 11:22 PM

Yeah, like bitches and ****.

d34ng3l021
08-31-2008, 12:57 AM
Your point is valid, but in this case it already applies. The 3 you mentioned made names for themselves as Juniors....Tebow won a Heisman as a Sophomore. He's under that microscope right now and everyone will become aware of his problems instead of OMGZ look at the toolz and #z.

You are definitely right. I spoke too early then. Maybe as the season progresses, critics realize his problems? Hope so. I would hate to see a fanbase destroyed by him.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-31-2008, 02:39 AM

There's money and then there's "I never have to work again even if I never play an NFL snap" money. Turning down that sort of money when it's staring you in the face is not an easy task.

SchizophrenicBatman
08-31-2008, 01:15 PM
Carolina would actually be a good situation for him, assuming the current coaching staff stays. Delhomme isnt going to last more than a couple years but he'll be there long enough for Tebow to learn an NFL offense. Plus they want to establish a power running game so that fits him as well. All that said, I dont want him anywhere near this team

Also, I highly doubt he comes out this year and if I were to convert him to another position I'd look at LB or S before TE

Paranoidmoonduck
08-31-2008, 01:55 PM
The Steve Young comparisons are pretty interesting, because during his early years with the Bucs, Young was also tried out at safety and played coverage on special teams.

Tebow will take some work for whoever drafts him. I don't think he'll be a first year starter in the NFL. But, based on his game right now, I think he'll need more mental work than physical (mechanics) work. His reads in that Florida system are mind-numbingly simple.

neko4
08-31-2008, 02:46 PM

Im aware of his poor mecahnics right now

neko4
08-31-2008, 02:47 PM
Seattle has David Greene and Seneca Wallace who aren't that bad, but aren't at Hasselbeck's level.
Plus I hate TeBlow. ;)
Charlie Frye is in Seattle

Shane P. Hallam
08-31-2008, 05:09 PM
The Steve Young comparisons are pretty interesting, because during his early years with the Bucs, Young was also tried out at safety and played coverage on special teams.

Tebow will take some work for whoever drafts him. I don't think he'll be a first year starter in the NFL. But, based on his game right now, I think he'll need more mental work than physical (mechanics) work. His reads in that Florida system are mind-numbingly simple.

I mean, if his ceiling is Steve Young and his floor is Michael Robinson, he would be worth a shot. Especially if a team can groom him.

RaiderNation
08-31-2008, 05:23 PM
Best place for him to go is the Vikings and sit a year learning the offence. By then AD will be the best RB in the league, they will get another WR and/or TE and the defence will improve.

hockey619
08-31-2008, 06:10 PM

The thing is that NFL reads are so much more complicated than college reads, regardless of system or team, that most guys need mental work to get to where pro coaches need them to be. I remember seeing this interview on Peyton Manning on TV. He said that when he was a rookie, he would look to his first read, then his second and hope like heck that one was open cause he would have so much trouble finding his third, which sort of shows that no one comes prepared for the NFL on a mental level really.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-31-2008, 07:24 PM
I mean, if his ceiling is Steve Young and his floor is Michael Robinson, he would be worth a shot. Especially if a team can groom him.

Although that's a huge disparity between ceiling and floor, I tend to agree. Get the guy on a team that figures to have coaching stability, pair him with a quarterback coach he gets along with, and give him a year or two. You might wind up with one hell of a quarterback on your hands.

Iamcanadian
08-31-2008, 11:18 PM

And what have those 3 actually accomplished as pros, not a lot so far. It sure didn't hurt Eli, Rivers, or Roethlisberger to stay as seniors. It also didn't hurt Cutler, Brady, Peyton, Edwards, Favre, Pennington, D.Anderson, Palmer, Flacco, Garrard, Schaub, Croyle, Romo, McNabb, Campbell, Rodgers, Jackson, Brees, Kitna, Orton, Delhomme, Garcia, Ryan, Hasselback, and Bulger to stay for their senior years. They all have become starters in the NFL. In fact the vast majority of NFL starting QB's stayed till they were seniors while very few junior drafted QB's have had a whole lot of success. I think it is pure myth that staying for your senior year automatically hurts QB's, there is little to back this up. If you have real talent, it won't hurt you one bit, if you don't then I believe it doesn't matter when you come out, most of the better run teams will see your weaknesses anyways. You'll only fool the weaker run teams and practically everybody fools them.
I think Tebow can get a whole lot better with experience and maturity. How much better is anybody's guess at this point since he hasn't done it yet.

etk
08-31-2008, 11:58 PM
And what have those 3 actually accomplished as pros, not a lot so far. It sure didn't hurt Eli, Rivers, or Roethlisberger to stay as seniors. It also didn't hurt Cutler, Brady, Peyton, Edwards, Favre, Pennington, D.Anderson, Palmer, Flacco, Garrard, Schaub, Croyle, Romo, McNabb, Campbell, Rodgers, Jackson, Brees, Kitna, Orton, Delhomme, Garcia, Ryan, Hasselback, and Bulger to stay for their senior years. They all have become starters in the NFL. In fact the vast majority of NFL starting QB's stayed till they were seniors while very few junior drafted QB's have had a whole lot of success. I think it is pure myth that staying for your senior year automatically hurts QB's, there is little to back this up. If you have real talent, it won't hurt you one bit, if you don't then I believe it doesn't matter when you come out, most of the better run teams will see your weaknesses anyways. You'll only fool the weaker run teams and practically everybody fools them.
I think Tebow can get a whole lot better with experience and maturity. How much better is anybody's guess at this point since he hasn't done it yet.

1st of all we're talking about staying for your Senior year affecting your draft stock, not NFL success. lrn2rdplz.

Staying for a Senior year has its pros and cons if you're already a proven commodity. The game experience and maturity can't hurt, but these previously mentioned QBs all had somewhat disappointing Senior seasons as they failed to live up to lofty expectations. Teams and players are gunning for you when you're at the top, and this will surely happen to Tebow this year. There's also the risk of injury when you turn down a lot of money, but players like Brian Brohm pay top dollar for good insurance prior to the season.

I don't really think a Senior year has a serious effect on evaluation and scrutiny. Scouts and GMs do all the homework nowadays and they're not gonna miss major flaws when they have 1 less year to work with. It just speeds up the process by returning for a Senior year. These high-profile returning prospects face the scrutiny and surgery here on message boards and in the media, but it doesn't affect their draft stock much at all imo when it comes to the real decision-makers that work in this league.

Iamcanadian
09-01-2008, 01:22 AM
1st of all we're talking about staying for your Senior year affecting your draft stock, not NFL success. lrn2rdplz.

Staying for a Senior year has its pros and cons if you're already a proven commodity. The game experience and maturity can't hurt, but these previously mentioned QBs all had somewhat disappointing Senior seasons as they failed to live up to lofty expectations. Teams and players are gunning for you when you're at the top, and this will surely happen to Tebow this year. There's also the risk of injury when you turn down a lot of money, but players like Brian Brohm pay top dollar for good insurance prior to the season.

I don't really think a Senior year has a serious effect on evaluation and scrutiny. Scouts and GMs do all the homework nowadays and they're not gonna miss major flaws when they have 1 less year to work with. It just speeds up the process by returning for a Senior year. These high-profile returning prospects face the scrutiny and surgery here on message boards and in the media, but it doesn't affect their draft stock much at all imo when it comes to the real decision-makers that work in this league.

I see an awful lot of QB's on my list who stayed and did quite well in the draft. Right now there isn't a lot of evidence that a high % of QB's drafted as juniors can have real success at the next level. If Russell comes through then it may change the perspective for drafting QB's as juniors but I'm not sure right now that many teams would be willing to take the shot.
From my experience, especially with the QB position, there is a huge amount of change that can take place between a player's junior year and his senior year and while I agree somewhat that the better talent appraisers in the league might see through player's weaknesses and strengths even as juniors, I don't think it is quite as easy as you make out.
All top end talent receives scrutiny and faces questions in their last college season even as juniors if they declare. That's part of the scouting process and QB's are no different. Even the best of pro teams attend the combine and private workouts to see if all their reports are correct and make changes right up to the last moment before reaching a final decision, so while QB's may fall in their senior year after a closer look, just as many rise up boards due to improved play. People make way too much out of the few who dropped and ignore all the QB's who were never affected or even improved their ratings by staying.
Whether staying is a smart career decision re: injuries or possible loss of ranking is totally another question but so far at least, senior drafted QB's have a far higher success rate in the NFL and until somebody shows real success as a junior drafted QB, I'd think long and hard before declaring as a junior if I was a college QB and I'd think long and hard if I was about to draft one.

Shane P. Hallam
09-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Although that's a huge disparity between ceiling and floor, I tend to agree. Get the guy on a team that figures to have coaching stability, pair him with a quarterback coach he gets along with, and give him a year or two. You might wind up with one hell of a quarterback on your hands.

What about St. Louis? I'd expect them to take a QB very soon. Though they may be picking a bit too early, Tebow could move up or down enough for them. Groom another year or two behind Bulger?

etk
09-01-2008, 03:16 PM
What about St. Louis? I'd expect them to take a QB very soon. Though they may be picking a bit too early, Tebow could move up or down enough for them. Groom another year or two behind Bulger?

What about New Orleans? Brees turns 29 soon and their only backup is Mark Brunell. I can see them taking someone in the early 2nd day, specifically Chase Daniel.

yourfavestoner
09-01-2008, 03:20 PM

You're not, I see it too. Like JT said, he has a higher chance of giving the NFL the middle finger and going on a mission after his senior year than coming out after this year. For whatever reason, he likes that Jesus guy a lot.

Malaka
09-01-2008, 03:38 PM
You're not, I see it too. Like JT said, he has a higher chance of giving the NFL the middle finger and going on a mission after his senior year than coming out after this year. For whatever reason, he likes that Jesus guy a lot.

If he goes on a mission he completely kills his draft stock, a project QB... who is 26? I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. You are right though it is a high possibility and he as devout christian probably won't care, so it isn't out of the question.

etk
09-01-2008, 03:42 PM
If he goes on a mission he completely kills his draft stock, a project QB... who is 26? I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. You are right though it is a high possibility and he as devout christian probably won't care, so it isn't out of the question.

I know his religion is a high priority on his list, but it's not like Tebow doesn't care about football. For a guy with a lot on his plate, he works really hard training and in the weight room. It's hard to imagine him ditching all that for a year when he obviously wants to excel in football.

Sunday games will hurt though.

Malaka
09-01-2008, 03:52 PM
I know his religion is a high priority on his list, but it's not like Tebow doesn't care about football. For a guy with a lot on his plate, he works really hard training and in the weight room. It's hard to imagine him ditching all that for a year when he obviously wants to excel in football.

Sunday games will hurt though.

You are right he does care about football because when in high school he played linebacker and tight end, but really wanted to play QB so moving from Jacksonville to St. Johns County to play QB at Nease High School.

He was born to Christian missionaries in the Phillipines who have probably brain washed him with a lot of beliefs, but that is besides the point a mission is what? 1-2 years? Jon Becks I think was 2 he'd be 26 and he is considered a project QB with a lot of upside. He won't play football for at least a year, so things would look terrible, and although he does care A LOT about football he probably wouldn't care at all if he had to do this mission or w/e circumstance he is in because of the way he was brought up.

I doubt he does it, because he can still go help out during off-seasons but it is a big possibility, and there is a bigger chance of him going on a mission than coming out for this years draft.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-01-2008, 04:31 PM

I'd say it would all depend on who their coach is when he's available. I doubt Linehan lasts through 2010 or maybe even this season. Tebow playing indoors might help him though (less wind to grab that wobbly ball).

Babylon
09-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Plus I hate TeBlow. ;)

You're just trying to keep a seat warm for Locker and dont think we dont know that.:)

How about that wonderful showing by the Dawgs the other night? Reminded me of back in highschool when they'd offer up the JV team to play the varsity. I counted at least 3 drops by guys who were wide open and Jake spent the rest of the game trying to just stay alive. If i were him i wouldnt hang around that crap of a team after this year but he seems to want to, go figure.

Shane P. Hallam
09-01-2008, 11:39 PM
What about New Orleans? Brees turns 29 soon and their only backup is Mark Brunell. I can see them taking someone in the early 2nd day, specifically Chase Daniel.

Brees is still at the top of his game. Sitting 4-5 years likely wouldn't be an option for Tebow. To dish out that kind of cash for Tebow. Early 2nd day, sure, anyone could pick a QB then.

BBIB
09-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Tebow needs a hell of a quarterbacks coach like Jim Zorn to work with him to get him asserted to the NFL level. These no doubt that he has the tools, but his release needs to be worked, and a later first round team wherehe can sit would be his best case scenario. He could be the next Byron Leftwich or someone as good as Culpepper if given the right coaching.

His release is no more awkward than someone like Philip Rivers.

It's honestly a bogus flaw people have made up about him seeing that there is nothing else to support the hate for him and all the fullback talk when the guy is one of the most efficient QBs in the nation and has all the physical tools to make the transition.

bored of education
09-02-2008, 01:42 PM
SS for some team :)

d34ng3l021
09-02-2008, 01:44 PM
His release is no more awkward than someone like Philip Rivers.

It's honestly a bogus flaw people have made up about him seeing that there is nothing else to support the hate for him and all the fullback talk when the guy is one of the most efficient QBs in the nation and has all the physical tools to make the transition.

This is not true at all. Though Rivers may have an awkward release, the ball gets out quickly. The same cannot be said of Tebow. He winds up his throw way too much, a la Leftwich.

Bruce Banner
09-02-2008, 01:47 PM
http://acctrash.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/gator-jorts.jpg

illmatic74
09-02-2008, 01:50 PM
If he goes on a mission he completely kills his draft stock, a project QB... who is 26? I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. You are right though it is a high possibility and he as devout christian probably won't care, so it isn't out of the question. It ruined Ben Olson.

BBIB
09-02-2008, 03:18 PM
This is not true at all. Though Rivers may have an awkward release, the ball gets out quickly. The same cannot be said of Tebow. He winds up his throw way too much, a la Leftwich.

To compare Tebow's release to someone like Byron Leftwich who brings the ball all the way down to his hip and has one of the slowest releases for any QB in recent NFL memory is a complete joke

Behind UF's lackluster Oline last year, Tebow would have been the most sacked QB in the nation if his release was that slow.

princefielder28
09-02-2008, 03:20 PM
To compare Tebow's release to someone like Byron Leftwich who brings the ball all the way down to his hip and has one of the slowest releases for any QB in recent NFL memory is a complete joke

Behind UF's lackluster Oline last year, Tebow would have been the most sacked QB in the nation if his release was that slow.

To compare his release timing to Rivers is a joke; it may not be as extreme as Leftwich but it is a flaw, it is bad, and it needs to be worked on

Bruce Banner
09-02-2008, 03:21 PM

Make no mistake. Tebow's release is not NFL ready. Comparing it to Byron might be a little too much but the point is made.

BBIB
09-02-2008, 03:30 PM
To compare his release timing to Rivers is a joke; it may not be as extreme as Leftwich but it is a flaw, it is bad, and it needs to be worked on

I think you all are confusing the Tebow self-playaction fake with his release.

He's no Dan Marino but people seem to be extremely exaggerating the length of time it takes for his throwing motion.