PDA

View Full Version : Chad Ocho Cinco: Its official

TheBuffaloBills
08-28-2008, 10:35 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-1-431/Johnson--Bengals-getting-more-zany-.html

Its been rumored, but now it is official. Thoughts?

Vox Populi
08-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Great marketing tool, but that is just stupid.

PalmerToCJ
08-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Ugh... I don't claim him as part of my favorite team.

Pacific
08-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Haha! This is so freakin awesome. For the most part, I've lost interest in Chad but this is truly amazing.

Xonraider
08-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Probably one of the funniest things I've heard in a while

CJSchneider
08-28-2008, 10:51 PM
I am now officially changing my name to "CJ siete-cinco" (I'm a Line-man).

Flyboy
08-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Ugh... I don't claim him as part of my favorite team.

He totally just screwed your signature.

Oh man. I <3 Ocho Cinco. What a card.

Smooth Criminal
08-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Funniest thing Ive ever heard. Kinda pathetic tho. What an attention *****.

Twiddler
08-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Very funny, but like Smooth Criminal said, what an attention *****. Should be interesting...

D-Unit
08-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Most intelligent player in the NFL? I think so.

Smooth Criminal
08-28-2008, 11:05 PM
He can't play so he does this kind of **** so the media overrates him. I'm over it. Can't wait until he retires, and hopefully stops pulling this ****.

Focus on football. Get your team a playoff win and maybe youll be something to talk about.

D-Unit
08-28-2008, 11:06 PM
He can't play so he does this kind of **** so the media overrates him. I'm over it. Can't wait until he retires, and hopefully stops pulling this ****.

Focus on football. Get your team a playoff win and maybe youll be something to talk about.
Cincy's problem is not Chad, nor is it the offense. You're expecting him to do something out of his control. Chad's focus on football is the last thing you can blame him for.

BrownsTown
08-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Amazing. Stupendous. Brilliant. Greatest thing I've seen in a while.

Just it being used in the media, on stat sheets, on fantasy football teams. Hearing ESPN anchors try to say Chad Ocho Cinco with a straight face will be amazing.

bored of education
08-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Dont Mess With The C.o.c!

bantx
08-28-2008, 11:14 PM
this is great new and yes i will be getting the jersey!

brat316
08-28-2008, 11:20 PM
This is awesome, now where are all those people who said he wouldn't do it and that they would go out and buy his jersey with that on the back. Also someone said something really crazy they would do i he changed his name.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24542

i think there was another thread about it

The Lost Art
08-28-2008, 11:26 PM
crazy guy !

PackerLegend
08-28-2008, 11:26 PM
Chad Ocho Cinco has out smarted the NFL. They wouldn't let him wear it before but now he is. Wait for the NFL to outlaw name changes.

Gatz
08-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Can Goodell ban him? please?

CashmoneyDrew
08-28-2008, 11:31 PM
The only thing official is that he is a ******. Good God what a Mimbo.

SuperKevin
08-28-2008, 11:33 PM
This is almost as bad as when The Ultimate Warrior changed his name to Ultimate Warrior to get around the WWE's trademark on the gimmick.

bantx
08-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Can Goodell ban him? please?

I dont think they can ban someone for changing their name, doesnt really offend anyone in a bad way.

TheBuffaloBills
08-28-2008, 11:42 PM
We are going to hear this non stop on ESPN like Favre

SuperKevin
08-28-2008, 11:43 PM
I love how Chad Johnson has just proved he has no respect whatsoever for his family.

eaglesfan_45
08-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Hey Mr. Bhaarat you stole my copyrighted reverse psychology for +rep theory you *****. I no longer perform my practice but still, I should sue. :mad:

Caddy
08-28-2008, 11:50 PM
I think that it is just hilarious. People mightn't like him, but he adds flavour to the game.

yo123
08-28-2008, 11:50 PM

Bring it on. I would MUCH rather hear about the awesomeness that is Chad Johnson than Brett Favre.

But no, they won't talk about this as much.

fenikz
08-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Ocho Cinco is amazing, he is by far my favorite non-cardinals WR

Twiddler
08-28-2008, 11:51 PM
I love how Chad Johnson has just proved he has no respect whatsoever for his family.

Even though I do find this whole situation rather amusing, this is the one part that bothers me. Not sure what his family is like but an attention-craving act like this probably doesn't sit well with them.

Few can even touch Favre when it comes to over-exposure on ESPN. This will get covered a lot, but Chad will never get his own little "Ocho Cinco" tab on the scrolling news on the bottom.

bantx
08-28-2008, 11:54 PM
We will see the clip of palmer ripping the ocho cinco name off the back of the jersey clip over n over again

themaninblack
08-29-2008, 12:01 AM

If I'm not mistaken his family life wasn't anything to write home about. In fact, I've never heard him reference his family once since he's been here.

Not trying to defend him but I think if his family actually meant something to him he wouldn't do this.

Gatz
08-29-2008, 12:05 AM
He's a *****.

soybean
08-29-2008, 12:10 AM
they should change his number. THEN who will have the last laugh????

CashmoneyDrew
08-29-2008, 12:11 AM
they should change his number. THEN who will have the last laugh????

Really we already are. 85 should really be Ochenta Y Cinco.

BrownsTown
08-29-2008, 12:12 AM

I'm sure he knows that, but Ocho Cinco sounds 10 million times better.

CashmoneyDrew
08-29-2008, 12:13 AM
I'm sure he knows that, but Ocho Cinco sounds 10 million times better.

And makes him seem 10 million times dumber at the same time.

BrownsTown
08-29-2008, 12:15 AM
And makes him seem 10 million times dumber at the same time.

Not particularly. I have at least a rudimentary knowledge of Spanish and it doesn't seem to make him dumb to me. In fact I think he's a lot smarter than people give him credit for.

Gatz
08-29-2008, 12:16 AM
Maybe he can sell his full name to a company. How about Pepsi Ocho Cinco.

CashmoneyDrew
08-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Not particularly. I have at least a rudimentary knowledge of Spanish and it doesn't seem to make him dumb to me. In fact I think he's a lot smarter than people give him credit for.

Of course marketing wise it's smart. I just hate tools like him.

Twiddler
08-29-2008, 12:18 AM
His Wikipedia page has already changed. I tried to read portions of it without laughing, but like others said earlier, its going to be hard for anyone in the media to keep a straight face while discussing Ocho Cinco.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Johnson

Vikes99ej
08-29-2008, 12:18 AM

Who cares? This is awesome!

Gatz
08-29-2008, 12:19 AM
Not particularly. I have at least a rudimentary knowledge of Spanish and it doesn't seem to make him dumb to me. In fact I think he's a lot smarter than people give him credit for.He's not smart. He's a *****. ***** s know how to ***** themselves. ***** s are successful in today's society. That's like calling a class clown smart when they're just obnoxious, and annoying as hell. I don't even know how people find this funny anymore, his act is getting old.

Regarding the name selling mentioned above, I've got a better idea, maybe he can change it to ****** Ocho Cinco and see how much they pay him.
name starts with a v.

nikkayeah
08-29-2008, 12:43 AM
His Wikipedia page has already changed. I tried to read portions of it without laughing, but like others said earlier, its going to be hard for anyone in the media to keep a straight face while discussing Ocho Cinco.

LOL im glad you pointed that out. guess who did that? :rolleyes:

BrownsTown
08-29-2008, 12:49 AM
He's not smart. He's a *****. ***** s know how to ***** themselves. ***** s are successful in today's society. That's like calling a class clown smart when they're just obnoxious, and annoying as hell. I don't even know how people find this funny anymore, his act is getting old.

Regarding the name selling mentioned above, I've got a better idea, maybe he can change it to ****** Ocho Cinco and see how much they pay him.
name starts with a v.

Jealousy is an ugly color...

SuperKevin
08-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Jealousy is an ugly color...

Much like Cleveland Browns jerseys

bantx
08-29-2008, 12:56 AM
He's not smart. He's a *****. ***** s know how to ***** themselves. ***** s are successful in today's society. That's like calling a class clown smart when they're just obnoxious, and annoying as hell. I don't even know how people find this funny anymore, his act is getting old.

name starts with a v.

but what if the class clown is smart, looks like its more than a name change to u. Its starting to look like a personal problem.

kalbears13
08-29-2008, 12:56 AM
Much like Cleveland Browns jerseys

Oooh...harsh.

Watch him get traded to a team with a #85 already on the team.

SuperKevin
08-29-2008, 12:58 AM
I hope he gets married and has children and passes the name Ocho Cinco onto other people

Gatz
08-29-2008, 12:59 AM
but what if the class clown is smart, looks like its more than a name change to u. Its starting to look like a personal problem.Chad Johnson is not smart. he just knows how to attract media coverage. Any sports star can attract media coverage this way. Just depends on whether or not they're shameless enough to do so.

bantx
08-29-2008, 01:00 AM
Chad Johnson is not smart. he just knows how to attract media coverage. Any sports star can attract media coverage this way. Just depends on whether or not they're shameless enough to do so.

Just because he knows how to attract media coverage doesnt make the man dumb, thats just horrible logic.

Gatz
08-29-2008, 01:07 AM
Just because he knows how to attract media coverage doesnt make the man dumb, thats just horrible logic. A smart man doesn't need to be a tool and a disgrace to attract media coverage. Neither does a great player.

He's a joke. He's an adult, time to freaking grow up.
Who will take him seriously after this.

nrk
08-29-2008, 01:16 AM
Johnson is such a common last name, and really what is a name anyway? Go Mr. Ocho Cinco. I'd like to change my name to something more awesome than Tyler. English names suck, they mean ****.

bantx
08-29-2008, 01:22 AM
A smart man doesn't need to be a tool and a disgrace to attract media coverage. Neither does a great player.

As a player Chad was paid to play football, workout, train, and practice as a player and a teammate. He's not out to make anyone look bad, hes just trying to entertain and excite his audience. As a player, teammate, or whatever u want to call it, hes there to get the job done day in and day out by trying to take his team to the playoffs, and him trying to entertain his fans, the people to come to watch him play. Whats wrong with a little name change or some end zone dances, they limited and restricted all these things u cant do, which i hate, but people seem to think its so bad to do these things. I dont find a problem with any of this and i dont know how u can see the big problem, yeah it may annoy u, but the way u reacted to this is pretty childish and im not gonna quote that paragraph of nothing but ****** s again. I dont see how u can find a name change this bad. Whether its for media attention or not.

Gatz
08-29-2008, 01:24 AM
It's not the name change. It's how much he's whoring himself.
And if he wants to be taken as a joke and attract more media attention, what's so bad about my suggestion?
Sell his first name to a company, he can get paid plus more exposure.

mqtirishfan
08-29-2008, 01:29 AM

He's a giant attention *****. However, he's an attention ***** who's making himself more famous and rich. Why should he give a **** about what some people think? I sure wouldn't if I had a chance to make more money. Let us not forget that players get a cut of their jersey sales. Do you realize how well this will sell?

nrk
08-29-2008, 01:34 AM
And if he wants to be taken as a joke and attract more media attention, what's so bad about my suggestion?
Sell his first name to a company, he can get paid plus more exposure.

He's not whoring himself out. Selling his name to a company would be whoring himself out.

Average OT LB
08-29-2008, 02:18 AM
A smart man doesn't need to be a tool and a disgrace to attract media coverage. Neither does a great player.

I'll absolutely take him seriously as will many fans. Chad has had an ongoing humorous bout with the NFL authorities and he just "went there". What he did is fabulously hilarious and ingenious, as long as he's okay legally being called ocho cinco for awhile, which i'm sure he is, than its great. I laughed when i read the article and I said to myself, 'well thats chad'. He's now going to be remember for a long time, regardless of whatever he does from here on out even if he never wins any significant (team) title. And i know one thing for sure, I'll make sure i watch a cinncy bengals game just so i can see his jersey.. and then ill prolly watch it again on espn.. and see it on aroudn the horn.. pti.. etc..

yourfavestoner
08-29-2008, 02:24 AM

He didn't know his dad, so what does it matter.

iworshipbender
08-29-2008, 02:26 AM

Because the Johnson name will most certainly die out with Ocho Cinco right?

Also, try to read the wikipedia page with a straight face.

Also, what happens when he gets traded and has to wear a different number?

Addict
08-29-2008, 02:53 AM
http://nexus404.com/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/ultimate-geeks-multi-tool-hammer.jpg

Bengalsrocket
08-29-2008, 03:19 AM
A) If your family stops loving you or thinks you've disrespected them because you changed your last name when your job forces you to plaster your last name onto your back, then your family doesn't really love you. This is clearly a joke, not an attempt to hide his last name in shame. To claim that this is some how disrespectful is just ignorant.

B) Calling him an idiot or stupid because he changed his last name is just as ignorant. Changing your name, or doing an end zone dance, or requesting a trade in the off season show very little or no evidence of your IQ. Chad seems a little bit crazy in his antics, and sometimes awkward in front of a camera. but stupid? I have seen zero indication that anyone's brain in this thread functions on a higher level than his (or that his functions on a higher level than anyone in this thread).

C) He's a not a sell out or a *****. He didn't change his last name to Gillette or Nike guys. He changed it to a nick name (albeit self-proclaimed) that has been widely accepted by both NFL reporters and fans. Will this attract the media? sure, but he doesn't control them and they very well could just as easily NOT report about Chad's new last name.

Lastly, I didn't come here to defend him like I'm his mother. Chad "Ocho Cinco" is awesome, and he's just having a little fun for his fans who lost a lot of respect for him when he said he wanted to leave this off season. Its kind of like his way of saying I'm sorry.

In any event I love it; he's showed that while the NFL is still a business, its also a game and it can be fun too. With all the agony and pain the players and fans go through with losing games, injuries and players getting traded / cut and coaches getting fired etc. around this time of the year, how can you not love a guy who stops and gives you a little comedic relief every now and then.

vidae
08-29-2008, 03:32 AM
NFL = No Fun League!

I think this is flat out awesome. He is great for the league. This game is about fun, moreso than money. He brings fun to the game.

Keep rockin' on Ocho Cinco.

Addict
08-29-2008, 05:11 AM
NFL = No Fun League!

I think this is flat out awesome. He is great for the league. This game is about fun, moreso than money. He brings fun to the game.

Keep rockin' on Ocho Cinco.

this isn't funny, this is just plain dumb, if not ********.

Saints-Tigers
08-29-2008, 05:37 AM
You sound like a bunch of women in this thread. Lighten the hell up.

brat316
08-29-2008, 06:06 AM
Woooooooooooo Chad 8-5 for president.

brat316
08-29-2008, 06:08 AM
http://nexus404.com/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/ultimate-geeks-multi-tool-hammer.jpg

that is an awesome pocket knife/hammer thing where do i get one almost as cool as Chad 8-5

Gay Ork Wang
08-29-2008, 06:35 AM
Why do people even judge him? I certainly wouldnt do it but its Chads decision. Its his humor so be it? Who gives u the right to say if its already or wrong.

I see it as a joke and well thats just how he is. He certainly isnt dumb or whoring himself, its not like he gets money for changing it. He gets money for being himself. Why do u think this is such a big deal? He is an entertainer just like TO. So be it

Iamcanadian
08-29-2008, 07:30 AM
Who really cares??? If he has a good season, he can call himself anything he wants. If he has a poor season, I'm sure people will add a few names to his name change. I really don't care what a WR on Cincy calls himself. The TEAM stinks, end of story.

Prince 561
08-29-2008, 07:41 AM
How long until his triumphant return in an NFL uniform?

http://i34.tinypic.com/1vp0k.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/2rxfor6.jpg

ATLDirtyBirds
08-29-2008, 08:08 AM
I think it's funny. Good **** Ocho.

vidae
08-29-2008, 10:39 AM

Right. Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Keep rockin' Addict!

Beans
08-29-2008, 10:47 AM
first let me say this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/beansdooma/WHAT.png

now I will say that this is pretty hilarious, but it might get old quick

T-RICH49
08-29-2008, 10:54 AM
now I gotta get me a Chad Ocho Cinco jersey.This is great

Addict
08-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Right. Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Keep rockin' Addict!

Likewise, sir. Likewise.

Addict
08-29-2008, 10:57 AM
that is an awesome pocket knife/hammer thing where do i get one almost as cool as Chad 8-5

... it's a tool, tool.

Geo
08-29-2008, 10:59 AM
http://navyscoop.com/pics/screwball.jpg

NY+Giants=NYG
08-29-2008, 11:02 AM

I agree. Focus on football and winning. Not throwing your teammate under the bus and those stupid celebrations. Yeah they are amusing, but why you don't you cut the nonesense out and actually get your team above .500 and into the playoffs. Same with the Bengals staff. It's like their team is one big circus with people getting arrested, and now this guy changing his name for nothing more than attention. It's not like Will Peterson changing it to James, but this is just flat out dumb. Honestly they should trade him to a team that has # 85 already taken!

ShutDwn
08-29-2008, 11:05 AM
What a tool.

Addict
08-29-2008, 11:11 AM
you're totally right! my bad for not thinking this is the funniest thing i've ever heard in my life. :rolleyes:

let me know when he and his team actually do something worth talking about on the field and i might be interested in what he wants on the back of his jersey.

You never know, maybe Chad "The Tool" Ocho Cinco can make miracles happen and vault the team to the superbo--

what the hell am I saying? What a dumbass.

kwilk103
08-29-2008, 11:23 AM
he needs to see a doctor

he probably has a screw or two or three loose upstairs

CC.SD
08-29-2008, 11:25 AM
How can so many people be negative? Clearly this is just balls to the wall awesome.

Addict
08-29-2008, 11:26 AM
he needs to see a doctor

he probably has a screw or two or three loose upstairs

I think all eighty-five of them are gone.

08-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Hahaa he actually did it ! Don't doubt this man's intelligence lol .

awfullyquiet
08-29-2008, 11:32 AM

Think Talledega Nights: Legend of Ricky Bobby.

Same idea, only in football.

MetSox17
08-29-2008, 11:35 AM
T.R, as we like to call him.

TheBuffaloBills
08-29-2008, 11:46 AM
I am curious to see what his teammates will think of this?

Gatz
08-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Typical quote will be: "Chad's gonna be Chad, man." What else can they say?

Chris Henry being signed and now this, the bengals are really shedding their old image.
I don't know why Lewis hasn't resigned yet. This franchise is a joke.

themaninblack
08-29-2008, 01:09 PM
His Jersey sales will be through the roof. IDC what his last name is personally but I think this is a very smart business move on his part. Shameless sure but definitely smart. He's obviously in need of money first with the contract problems and since he couldn't get that he's gonna try and get money through this.

But this franchise sure is to blame. I mean resigning Chris Henry after the charges he was released for were dropped then this! Blasphemy I tell you.

WHAT A DEBACLE!

nrk
08-29-2008, 01:17 PM
I agree. Focus on football and winning. Not throwing your teammate under the bus and those stupid celebrations. Yeah they are amusing, but why you don't you cut the nonesense out and actually get your team above .500 and into the playoffs. Same with the Bengals staff. It's like their team is one big circus with people getting arrested, and now this guy changing his name for nothing more than attention. It's not like Will Peterson changing it to James, but this is just flat out dumb. Honestly they should trade him to a team that has # 85 already taken!

Brilliant idea, I can't believe the Bengals haven't approached him and asked him "What can you do to help our team win"? I guess his response would be something to the such of.... "I could play defense also!" He's not the reason why his team isnt above .500 -_-

iworshipbender
08-29-2008, 01:40 PM
What a bunch of cry babies. You act as if the Bengals are relevant, and that Chad Ocho Cinco's shenanigans have something to do with the franchise sucking so bad. He's just trying to get people to watch the Bengals, buy his jersey and entertain you. I hope that Ocho Cinco gets traded, so I can watch and laugh as the Bengals fade into oblivion again. How about constructing an opinion that isn't out of ESPN's mouth.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Brilliant idea, I can't believe the Bengals haven't approached him and asked him "What can you do to help our team win"? I guess his response would be something to the such of.... "I could play defense also!" He's not the reason why his team isnt above .500 -_-

Yeah the defense is a problem, but I find it ironic because your HC is known for his defensive mind, which is why you got him. While CJ may not be at fault it provides a distraction. Giants fans should know because we had a 3 ring circus here at some point. The team needs to find a way to cut the nonsense and stick to football. Yes, that includes drafting players who have good personalities, and then focusing on CJ, and his distractions. The whole franchise is to blame, but CJ needs to focus on the marketing element later.

mqtirishfan
08-29-2008, 01:51 PM
I don't quite understand how this will affect the Bengals chances to win football games. Is Palmer going to sit there in the pocket, and notice the name Ocho Cinco and completely forget what he was doing, leading to a sack?

mqtirishfan
08-29-2008, 01:54 PM
The whole franchise is to blame, but CJ needs to focus on the marketing element later.

I work at Taco Bell. If on my day off, I had a chance to do something that would earn me money, I'd certainly do it. Then, I'd go back to Taco Bell and work as hard as ever. All of my coworkers would also work hard. If not, they'd deserve to be fired. Marketing is not something that opposes football performance.

iworshipbender
08-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Yeah the defense is a problem, but I find it ironic because your HC is known for his defensive mind, which is why you got him. While CJ may not be at fault it provides a distraction. Giants fans should know because we had a 3 ring circus here at some point. The team needs to find a way to cut the nonsense and stick to football. Yes, that includes drafting players who have good personalities, and then focusing on CJ, and his distractions. The whole franchise is to blame, but CJ needs to focus on the marketing element later.

His name is Chad Ocho Cinco by the way.

StripedWalrus
08-29-2008, 01:58 PM
His name is Chad Ocho Cinco by the way.

or COCJ for short.

iworshipbender
08-29-2008, 02:00 PM
or COCJ for short.

I think a better way would be just to say 8-5 instead.

PalmerToCJ
08-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Typical quote will be: "Chad's gonna be Chad, man." What else can they say?

Chris Henry being signed and now this, the bengals are really shedding their old image.
I don't know why Lewis hasn't resigned yet. This franchise is a joke.

How does one of our players changing their own name have the slightest thing to do with how our franchise is screwed up? Not like they have any say in the matter. From a business sense it actually is a good idea.

I still think it's dumb. He's a joke.

On a side not my screen name and sig are totally outdated but I refuse to change them.

skinzzfan25
08-29-2008, 02:01 PM
What an idiot haha

StripedWalrus
08-29-2008, 02:03 PM
How does one of our players changing their own name have the slightest thing to do with how our franchise is screwed up? Not like they have any say in the matter. From a business sense it actually is a good idea.

I still think it's dumb. He's a joke.

On a side not my screen name and sig are totally outdated but I refuse to change them.

Yea you need to talk to Jbond on that...maybe change your name to FitztoSimpson...hehe...lol

I dont see his name changing having anything to do with the Franchise...I wouldnt care if he changed his name to Sharon Cox for all I care...as long as he puts up the numbers.

Philliez01
08-29-2008, 02:09 PM

Which actually would be a whole lot funnier than Ocho Cinco on the Bottom Line. C. Ochenta y Cinco will play (labrum).

I love it.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-29-2008, 02:10 PM
I work at Taco Bell. If on my day off, I had a chance to do something that would earn me money, I'd certainly do it. Then, I'd go back to Taco Bell and work as hard as ever. All of my coworkers would also work hard. If not, they'd deserve to be fired. Marketing is not something that opposes football performance.

Yes but we are not rich. Taco bell or not Taco bell. Also, being a coach, I would be very annoyed with him on my offense. Yes the productivity is good, but the issues he brings and sideshow that comes with his production wouldnt be worth it. But then again, that's my opinion. If the staff can handle all that and it seriously doesn't bother them in the least bit, then more power to them.

mqtirishfan
08-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Yes but we are not rich.

Ah, the old philosophy of those who are rich should stop trying to make money. Why must we always attempt to rationalize a person's desire to make money on our standard of rich?

Also, being a coach, I would be very annoyed with him on my offense.

I would probably get over it when he put up 1100 yards for me.

Yes the productivity is good, but the issues he brings and sideshow that comes with his production wouldnt be worth it. But then again, that's my opinion.

You go ahead and take the lesser player. I'll take the production. You trade CJ for Shaun McDonald straight up, I bet it goes poorly for the Bengals.

If the staff can handle all that and it seriously doesn't bother them in the least bit, then more power to them.

Who cares if it bothers them? Let them hate the dude and everything he stands for. But for God's sake, throw him the ball. Good things happen.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Ah, the old philosophy of those who are rich should stop trying to make money. Why must we always attempt to rationalize a person's desire to make money on our standard of rich?

I would probably get over it when he put up 1100 yards for me.

You go ahead and take the lesser player. I'll take the production. You trade CJ for Shaun McDonald straight up, I bet it goes poorly for the Bengals.

Who cares if it bothers them? Let them hate the dude and everything he stands for. But for God's sake, throw him the ball. Good things happen.

Who said I want Shaun D? And yea you can mitigate pruduction via group of people then just one person. My team proved that with Barber retiring. More than half of our offense was build on him. Run the ball with Tiki, throw the ball to tiki, and the rest find some WRs to throw to. He left, and we managed to not skip a beat. So all that production is nonsense. You can find production else where if you develop your WRs properly. I have no clue who is their WRs corps, but i am talking in general using my team, who I follow closely, as an example. So you go take his production and the side show that follows, I'll get rid of him, and mitigate the production with different passing concepts, and running concepts. But in the long run it shows the players I don't care how good you are, if you throw your QB under the bus and pose a distraction to the team, you're out of here.

brat316
08-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Chad 8:5

I wonder what happens with his old jersey they made, does he have to pay for them, or do they just donate them like the patriots undefeated T-shirts?

Staubach12
08-29-2008, 03:39 PM
I love it!

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsupdate/archives/gallery061029-1.jpg

PoopSandwich
08-29-2008, 07:20 PM
ROFL

This is amazing, the other day my cousin and I were playing madden and he got Chad Johnson and Antonio Gates, but Gates had 85, so my cousin changes Chad Johnson to 85, names him Chad Ocho Cinco, and then changes Antonio Gates to number 3 and names him Antonio Tres... lol...

CC.SD
08-29-2008, 07:37 PM
ROFL

This is amazing, the other day my cousin and I were playing madden and he got Chad Johnson and Antonio Gates, but Gates had 85, so my cousin changes Chad Johnson to 85, names him Chad Ocho Cinco, and then changes Antonio Gates to number 3 and names him Antonio Tres... lol...

I think your cousin might be ********...

soybean
08-29-2008, 08:32 PM
what if companies start paying people to change their name for advertising purposes. I'd might consider being called 3.75 regular unleaded gas.

my friend actually came up with the idea, he said the owner of sonic's the restraunt should buy the seatle supersonics and make each player legally change their name to an item on the menu. ie: bacon cheeseburger toaster

man... only bad things can come of this.

yourfavestoner
08-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Which actually would be a whole lot funnier than Ocho Cinco on the Bottom Line. C. Ochenta y Cinco will play (labrum).

I love it.

It's Ocho Cinco because he's called himself "Eight Five" before. Not "Eighty Five."

yourfavestoner
08-29-2008, 09:06 PM
what if companies start paying people to change their name for advertising purposes. I'd might consider being called 3.75 regular unleaded gas.

my friend actually came up with the idea, he said the owner of sonic's the restraunt should buy the seatle supersonics and make each player legally change their name to an item on the menu. ie: bacon cheeseburger toaster

man... only bad things can come of this.

It wouldn't surprise me. People are getting paid to get corporate tattoos as advertisement.

Addict
08-30-2008, 05:22 AM
people have ebay'd their name before. can't find the links right now. *shrug* some people will do anything for a buck/3.2 seconds of air time.

hey if you name is John Smith, why not rename yourself John Starbucks and earn some money?

oh right, it's a dumbass thing to do, that's right.

themaninblack
08-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Why are we comparing this to product advertisement?

themaninblack
08-30-2008, 10:23 AM
cuz that is very logical. I could see an explosion in name changes because CJ did it. Hell, I will change my NFLDC name for money any day now.

but i guess being able to read english has its perks. it should be in this thread anway.

Bucs_Rule
08-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Chad 8:5

I wonder what happens with his old jersey they made, does he have to pay for them, or do they just donate them like the patriots undefeated T-shirts?

I've always wondered that, what happens to jerseys of players that just don't sell. Im sure there was a bunch of Vick jerseys left over that no one would want, even on big discounts. I could see someone with very little money buying a Johnson jersey at a good discount. It might be out of date, but he still plays for the Bengals and they'll be a ton of people who still have that jersey so you won't look out of place and people wouldn't know you bought it after he changed his name. With Vick no, definitly not.

Gay Ork Wang
08-30-2008, 11:20 AM
id guess the same happens to them like those 19-0 Shirts

Bucs_Rule
08-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Actually I think those 19-0 shirts would sell really well.

Go_Eagles77
08-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Pretty funny, although I do think he changes it back once his football career is over.

TheBuffaloBills
08-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Pretty funny, although I do think he changes it back once his football career is over.

Ahhh probably not lol

Paranoidmoonduck
08-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Whether he meant to or not, Chad has made a very strong point about the NFL's restrictions. It turns out it's easier to legally change your name than to put what you want on your back during a game.

OSUGiants17
08-30-2008, 01:49 PM
lol, can't for a madden roster update.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-30-2008, 03:31 PM
i don't get the "point" you're trying to make. why is it "bad" that the NFL actually has standards for itself and won't allow XFL "He Hate Me" crap?

What "standards" should an organization based around the entertainment value of large men slamming into each other at high speeds have regarding what those men want their identifying name to be? It doesn't hinder the officials, it doesn't hinder other players. All it does is potentially add entertainment value.

Average OT LB
08-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Does said organization wish to be taken seriously? Maybe the NFL should also allow all players up to 5 minutes after any play to properly celebrate. I mean, apparently people find that entertaining, and it wouldn't "hinder" anything. Maybe we should just say anything goes and call it the XFL. That league succeeded solely because it was more entertaining than the NFL. Come on, "He Hate Me"? That's ****ing hilarious. I'm still laughing.

http://www.retro.com/employees/lee/Ani/SarcasmMeter2.gif

Paranoidmoonduck
08-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Does said organization wish to be taken seriously? Maybe the NFL should also allow all players up to 5 minutes after any play to properly celebrate. I mean, apparently people find that entertaining, and it wouldn't "hinder" anything.

Yes it would. It would hinder the continuation of the game.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-30-2008, 07:16 PM
which would allow the nfl to make more money off ads and whatnot. i see no downside.

The length of games is a continuing battle that teams fight. Networks are only willing to allow games a certain amount of air time. Allowing 5 minute celebtrations for every score would change the act of watching the game completely, not to mention the beaurocratic battle that would ensue.

Allowing players to change the names put on the back of their jerseys wouldn't change a thing about the way the game is conducted. It might make the NFL appear less serious, but right now I'd say the NFL is perceived as a bunch of upright control freaks, so that might well improve their image.

Is it ridiculous that it is easier for a player to legally change their name than to get the one stitched on a $200 jersey changed? Absolutely.

Bengalsrocket
08-30-2008, 07:50 PM
The fact that this thread is still going is more than likely a testament as to why he did it :(

Paranoidmoonduck
08-31-2008, 02:33 AM
:rolleyes: help, help, chad "johnson" is being oppressed!

who perceives the nfl as a bunch of upTight control freaks? you? people on this board? people who are more entertained by whatever idiocy some guy does after he scores than they are by him actually scoring? it's the NFL's brand, it's the NFL's image, and if they think chad "johnson" tarnishes that image by putting moronic **** on the back of his jersey, they have EVERY right to tell him to go play in the arena league. and he has every right to adapt to the rules in whatever way he sees fit.

this is a complete non-issue, or at least, it should be for anyone who would rather watch the football than the sideshow.

The people who perceive the NFL as a bunch of uptight control freaks are the people who coined the name "No Fun League" and the media who continues to use the term. Everyone is always talking about the NFL's "right" to something as if that makes everything they do okay. Of course they have a legal right to run their league however they want. That in no way means I can't question it.

And professional football is a sideshow.

themaninblack
08-31-2008, 12:04 PM
Guys, can we speak about the organization a little more please? A player changing his name definitely means the organization is at fault. I want to see what every1 thinks about this. The Bengals are OMGZZZ horrible for letting this happen. its all their fault!

BlindSite
08-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Why don't we just say this: Chad Johnson is a self indulgent douche bag, but he's extremely entertaining.

The Bengals organization is spineless.

The NFL is run by a bunch of stuffy assholes with rods up their ass, who need to loosen up and have some fun.

Thread over

Leon Sandcastle
09-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Ocho Cinco is awesome. Don't understand why people don't like him. This is brilliant.

Can't wait for Marshawn Lynch to change his name to BEAST MODE!

Or Jordy Nelson to changes his name to JORDYYY NELSONZZZZ!

Or Marion Barber changes his name to Marion the Barbarian.

The possibilities are endless.

Crvena Ptica
09-01-2008, 05:52 PM
So this Ocho Cinco means the number of Bengals players which had been arrested.

Right?

Vikes99ej
09-01-2008, 06:29 PM
So this Ocho Cinco means the number of Bengals players which had been arrested.

Right?

50 Creativity points for this guy!

Brent
09-01-2008, 06:40 PM
I think I saw him still listed as Chad Johnson on ESPN's bottomline during that Fresno State/Rutgers game referencing an injury or something.

brat316
09-01-2008, 06:41 PM
yeah no one is calling him Chad Ocho Cinco, thats messed up call the guy by his name. When someone like William Thomas changes his name he gets articles with the correct name

Brent
09-01-2008, 06:42 PM
isnt that the way around it? just refer to him as Chad Johnson? it isnt like they have to call him Chad Ocho Cinco

MetSox17
09-01-2008, 06:47 PM
isnt that the way around it? just refer to him as Chad Johnson? it isnt like they have to call him Chad Ocho Cinco

That could be one way, but i think it'll just piss him off.

Malaka
09-01-2008, 06:48 PM
I am guessing his Jersey will actually have to Ocho Cinco on his back, or can the Bengals or the NFL stop that?

brat316
09-01-2008, 06:51 PM
I am guessing his Jersey will actually have to Ocho Cinco on his back, or can the Bengals or the NFL stop that?

How can they stop that, telling someone no this is not your last name.

yourfavestoner
09-01-2008, 06:53 PM
The people who perceive the NFL as a bunch of uptight control freaks are the people who coined the name "No Fun League" and the media who continues to use the term. Everyone is always talking about the NFL's "right" to something as if that makes everything they do okay. Of course they have a legal right to run their league however they want. That in no way means I can't question it.

And professional football is a sideshow.

We go dumb go dumb at the sideshow. Whhaaa? What are you smokin?

Malaka
09-01-2008, 06:54 PM
That is what I am asking... because I am pretty sure Mr. Goodel over there is pretty frustrated with this.

EDIT: Post aimed toward Bharaat316

yourfavestoner
09-01-2008, 06:56 PM
That is what I am asking... because I am pretty sure Mr. Goodel over there is pretty frustrated with this.

EDIT: Post aimed toward Bharaat316

Anything that frustrates Roger Goodell makes me happy.

And no, neither the Bengals nor Roger Goodell can stop him from putting Ocho Cinco on his jersey. It's his name now, and everybody needs to get over it.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Anything that frustrates Roger Goodell makes me happy.

On this note, how funny would it be if Goodell got in trouble with the law? Would he have to suspend himself?

PalmerToCJ
09-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Why do people keep bringing the organization into this, how can they tell him he can't change his name? What effect does it have on the football field anyway?

His name is officially Chad Ocho Cinco on Bengals.com

As dumb as I think this whole thing is that actually got a little chuckle out of me seeing that on the site.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/25714/Chad_Ocho_Cinco_Roster_medium.gif

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/25717/Chad_Ocho_Cinco_Depth_Chart.gif

themaninblack
09-04-2008, 09:51 PM
I'm surprised there wasn't some sort of backlash from Goodell. Not that he could really do anything about it, but still.

PalmerToCJ
09-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Since it started a new page I'll repost the pics off Bengals.com...

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/25717/Chad_Ocho_Cinco_Depth_Chart.gif

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/25714/Chad_Ocho_Cinco_Roster.gif

Bengalsrocket
09-04-2008, 09:57 PM
I've never had an avatar or signature on this board till now :)

CC.SD
09-04-2008, 11:32 PM
I wish my last name were Ocho Cinco.

snobdmat
09-06-2008, 02:34 PM
i hope he gets traded and the number 85 is being used by the other team...ill laugh. Dumbest thing ever

SuperKevin
09-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Jay Glazer just said that Reebok and the NFL will not allow Chad Ocho Cinco to wear an Ocho Cinco jersey unless he buys every Chad Johnson jersey that was already printed this year

brat316
09-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Jay Glazer just said that Reebok and the NFL will not allow Chad Ocho Cinco to wear an Ocho Cinco jersey unless he buys every Chad Johnson jersey that was already printed this year

thats pretty dumb, all he should have to do is pay for the name part re-stiching. The name part is stitched onto another part of clothe and then that clothe is sewn on to the shirt.

TheBuffaloBills
09-07-2008, 08:46 PM
It isnt dumb, why should they go through all the hassle. Let Ocho Cinco pay the money.

MetSox17
09-08-2008, 01:09 PM
thats pretty dumb, all he should have to do is pay for the name part re-stiching. The name part is stitched onto another part of clothe and then that clothe is sewn on to the shirt.

So you're gonna ship back the hundreds of thousands of jerseys that are all around the country, to get re-stitched? That would cost them twice as more, since there is no machine for un-stitching. It would have to be manual labor, so it would make absolutely no sense.

Ocho Cinco screwed up because the NFL and the NFLPA have contracts with Reebok on those sales. He's responsible for that. So unless he goes out and purchases all of them (which would be ridiculous), he's screwed.

Twiddler
09-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Ha, good call Reebok. I really love the overall summary of this story:

Chad decides he wants to be called Ocho Cinco. Chad changes name to Ocho Cinco. Chad gets attention he wants. Reebok says no.

Geo
09-08-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm tired of this idiot's antics. Just play football.

Bruce Banner
09-08-2008, 02:41 PM
We are talking about him.

Chad wins.

Twiddler
09-08-2008, 02:47 PM
We are talking about him.

Chad wins.

Good point. But that's going to happen either way. Personally I'll take the lesser of the two evils in this situation, which is Reebok telling him to pay up.

MetSox17
09-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Good point. But that's going to happen either way. Personally I'll take the lesser of the two evils in this situation, which is Reebok telling him to pay up.

I can't believe his lawyers didn't prepare him for this one. He's gonna have a hard time budging Reebok off of this, because they're standing to lose a ton of money with the jerseys that were shipped already. Unless they can agree on a settlement, which in the end, i imagine will happen.

Bruce Banner
09-08-2008, 03:43 PM
pft, he can just wait until the next shipment.

Addict
09-08-2008, 03:45 PM
I can't believe his lawyers didn't prepare him for this one. He's gonna have a hard time budging Reebok off of this, because they're standing to lose a ton of money with the jerseys that were shipped already. Unless they can agree on a settlement, which in the end, i imagine will happen.

meh, just think of the mountains of cash they'll make on the ocho cinco shirts... this kind of dumb BS always generates jersey sales.

MetSox17
09-08-2008, 03:47 PM
meh, just think of the mountains of cash they'll make on the ocho cinco shirts... this kind of dumb BS always generates jersey sales.

Which is why i see a settlement coming pretty soon. Reebok is gonna have to take a hit either way, so it's up to them to decide how much they wanna lose. If they wanna be complete dicks and just not sell Ocho Cinco jerseys, they'd be cutting their nose to spite their face.

CC.SD
09-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Reebok will have to swallow a hit...to gain access to a freaking bongload of sales that are going to come in once Ocho Cinco becomes official. They're being extremely shortsighted if they hold this up in any way.

Jughead10
09-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Reebok will have to swallow a hit...to gain access to a freaking bongload of sales that are going to come in once Ocho Cinco becomes official. They're being extremely shortsighted if they hold this up in any way.

This is correct. I've already seen a handful of people with Ocho Cinco jerseys. Authentic ones too. Reebok will make more money on this then they will originally lose.

MetSox17
09-08-2008, 04:57 PM
If they wanna be complete dicks and just not sell Ocho Cinco jerseys, they'd be cutting their nose to spite their face.
10characters.

themaninblack
09-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Keith Rivers just changed his number a few days before the game. He had to pay 11,000 bucks to do it.

MetSox17
09-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Keith Rivers just changed his number a few days before the game. He had to pay 11,000 bucks to do it.

That sucks. You can't even change your number freely without getting shafted.

I wonder how it works in college. I'd change my number every year, just so those greedy bastards don't profit out of my success.

GB12
09-08-2008, 07:19 PM
That sucks. You can't even change your number freely without getting shafted.

I wonder how it works in college. I'd change my number every year, just so those greedy bastards don't profit out of my success.
They can't put names on college jerseys anyway so it doesn't matter.

MetSox17
09-08-2008, 07:25 PM
They can't put names on college jerseys anyway so it doesn't matter.

Yeah, it doesn't matter.

I'm sure no one knew who #10 at Texas was a few years ago, or #11 at USC. :rolleyes:

Hey, i bet all the #15 Florida jerseys stay on the racks because no one knows who wears it! LOL!!111

GB12
09-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Yeah, it doesn't matter.

I'm sure no one knew who #10 at Texas was a few years ago, or #11 at USC. :rolleyes:

Hey, i bet all the #15 Florida jerseys stay on the racks because no one knows who wears it! LOL!!111
College jerseys will sell still because of the team. Players are only ther for 3 or 4 years anyway. It's really not a big deal for college.

MetSox17
09-08-2008, 07:30 PM
College jerseys will sell still because of the team. Players are only ther for 3 or 4 years anyway. It's really not a big deal for college.

So then are you saying that sales will remain the same, despite the fact that you have Heisman contenders/winners on a championship caliber team?

SuperKevin
09-08-2008, 07:31 PM
So then are you saying that sales will remain the same, despite the fact that you have Heisman contenders/winners on a championship caliber team?

I'd buy a college jersey regardless what the number is if I liked the team.

MetSox17
09-08-2008, 07:32 PM
I'd buy a college jersey regardless what the number is if I liked the team.

Well kudos to you. Not everyone thinks that way.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Watching him yesterday, my father brought up a good point. Not to sway into religion too much, but what were to happen if a player converted to the Muslim religion? He has to give up his earthly name in exchange for a new one. Would the NFL force him to wear the name he has gotten rid of or force him to pay, in a sense making it religious persecution? (BTW, don't make this into some kind of religious thing. It's just a circumstance that I'd think it'd be funny for the NFL to decide what to do with)

bigbluedefense
10-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Watching him yesterday, my father brought up a good point. Not to sway into religion too much, but what were to happen if a player converted to the Muslim religion? He has to give up his earthly name in exchange for a new one. Would the NFL force him to wear the name he has gotten rid of or force him to pay, in a sense making it religious persecution? (BTW, don't make this into some kind of religious thing. It's just a circumstance that I'd think it'd be funny for the NFL to decide what to do with)

Well, if I remember correctly, you don't have to change your name if you convert to Islam. Most still do because they want an Islamic name, but its not required.

I could be wrong though.

But that is a great point.

MetSox17
10-13-2008, 11:09 AM

I would imagine reebok would get sued and lose.