PDA

View Full Version : Balance of Power Shifting

Iamcanadian
08-29-2008, 07:15 AM
I think this could turnout to be a very strange season. I don't for a minute think Brady and Peyton's injuries aren't serious. Manning's surgery is exactly the same one as Marvin Harrison's last season and Harrison said it bothered him all season. If that's the case, you just might see Indy finish last in their Dividion this year. H...mmmm
As for Brady, his injury could be a lot more serious than BB is letting on. If he is a can't go for game one, then BB is making Kansaas City work harder having to game plan for both QB's. If Brady is sidelined, then the AFC East could also see a major shake up.
I believe given the jinx that holds for 1st time SB winners and given the Giants injury, I see no way they make the playoffs this year. I think they are toast.
San Diego defense is all about Merriman. Nobody is mistaking Turner as a top HC. So Merriman's injury could very easily open up opportunities for other teams to take the AFC West. Their offense is going to have to step up and be far more effective to overcome the team's loss of sacks. Merriman is very capable of 17 or 18 sacks a year and replacing that is going to be difficult.
I just don't see Green Bay as being in the playoff picture. You don't lose a franchise QB of Favre magnitute without suffering a letdown. I don't see a franchise QB in Rodgers but even if he is decent, we are about to find out if GB has solid WR's and a running game. Favre made his WR's look perhaps far better than they are in reality and we could see a real fall off in their production. As for GB's running game, it was easy to be a RB for Green Bay with Favre at QB. Defending the pass was every opponents 1st priority leaving a lot of running lanes open for the RB's. They aren't going to have that luxury this season. Teams will stuff the box and make Rodgers beat them through the air limiting the effectiveness of any RB. Until Rodgers can show teams he is capable of putting up big points through the air, teams will continue to limit GB's running attack.
The only saving grace for GB is the terrible Division they play in where every opponent has serious question marks so even an 8-8 season might carry a team to the playoffs.

I not going to think this is just another season until I see the AFC teams come out of the shute and the NFC teams show that the changes haven't affected them. This could indeed be the year where the whole NFL sees a major shift of power. I'm holding my breath.

Damix
08-29-2008, 09:17 AM
I may have read that if it wasn't a big ugly blob of words.

bored of education
08-29-2008, 09:23 AM
To whom is the balance going to shift to..Kansas City, Miami and Oakland??????

Gay Ork Wang
08-29-2008, 09:28 AM
what the hell is the first time SB jinx?

kkthxbye!!

BeerBaron
08-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Its all understandable. (And yeah, break your paragraphs up a little next time, lol)

The stuff there all makes sense imo. It would probably be the worst case scenario for the Colts, Pats and Chargers to have the things you mention happen but I've thought for a little while now that at least one of those teams probably has history going against it because I don't see all 3 being elite for a 3rd year in a row.....

I'm not going to pick which one but i feel strongly that at least one of the Colts, Pats or Chargers won't be back...should get interesting.

abaddon41_80
08-29-2008, 10:33 AM
I don't really ---*Is crushed by wall of text*

Pb&j
08-29-2008, 10:37 AM
The giants aren't first time super bowl winners...

Addict
08-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Its all understandable. (And yeah, break your paragraphs up a little next time, lol)

The stuff there all makes sense imo. It would probably be the worst case scenario for the Colts, Pats and Chargers to have the things you mention happen but I've thought for a little while now that at least one of those teams probably has history going against it because I don't see all 3 being elite for a 3rd year in a row.....

I'm not going to pick which one but i feel strongly that at least one of the Colts, Pats or Chargers won't be back...should get interesting.

If it's gonna be one of three falling my money would be on the patriots, because of the personell they lost this year. Merriman is obviously important to the Chargers, but I don't think he's so important that he's solely responsible for their season. They're still a solid football team. As for the colts, well Manning isn't the type of QB who runs a lot, so I think maybe it'll hurt them a bit but not much. Maybe a lesser season but nothing really horrible.

stephenson86
08-29-2008, 11:08 AM
the patriots defense has looked terrible this pre season and i know its only pre season but even the starters have looked slow and old and the secondary hasnt been good, i see the patriots falling

Addict
08-29-2008, 11:09 AM
the patriots defense has looked terrible this pre season and i know its only pre season but even the starters have looked slow and old and the secondary hasnt been good, i see the patriots falling

preseason means nothing. the colts' preseason record over the past few years is horrendous something like 5-15? Preseason = jacksquat.

MetSox17
08-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Initially, i thought this thread was gonna be about cars and racing. I power shifted a few times on my old car and grinded my second gear. :/

And the Colts aren't gonna be in the bottom of their division. They can start Jim Sorgi and still be better than the Titans and Texans.

CC.SD
08-29-2008, 11:53 AM
I have a belief, but I could be accused of being a homer so I won't start a new thread, I'll stick it in this thread that starts with an unreadable block of text:

I believe LT is going to **** on teams this year. Possibly his greatest year ever, and on par with 2006, if not better. He's totally healthy, more motivated than he has ever been (between tasting a shot at the Super Bowl + all the criticism he's taken this offseason), he'll have the best O-line of his career, and (finally!) a complete aerial game around him.

I think he's going to be very very dominant, and obviously take the Bolts with him.

MetSox17
08-29-2008, 11:55 AM
I have a belief, but I could be accused of being a homer so I won't start a new thread, I'll stick it in this thread that starts with an unreadable block of text:

I believe LT is going to **** on teams this year. Possibly his greatest year ever, and on par with 2006, if not better. He's totally healthy, more motivated than he has ever been (between tasting a shot at the Super Bowl + all the criticism he's taken this offseason), he'll have the best O-line of his career, and (finally!) a complete aerial game around him.

I think he's going to be very very dominant, and obviously take the Bolts with him.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/reo_13/homer-simpson_donut.jpg

Addict
08-29-2008, 11:56 AM
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/reo_13/homer-simpson_donut.jpg

I see your homer and raise you a super homer

http://geffpogi.googlepages.com/homer.jpg

MetSox17
08-29-2008, 12:01 PM
I see your homer and raise you a super homer

http://geffpogi.googlepages.com/homer.jpg

I'm all in.
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/reo_13/homer_simpson.jpg

CC.SD
08-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Hey I even called myself a homer. :D

But tell me one of those points that isn't accurate! It's coming, just watch.

yourfavestoner
08-29-2008, 12:24 PM
I've been saying all offseason that I think LT is gonna get hurt this year. Just a weird feeling.

Geo
08-29-2008, 12:37 PM
You crossed a line, yfs. You don't ever call out bad magumbo on a superstar like that.

yourfavestoner
08-29-2008, 12:45 PM
You crossed a line, yfs. You don't ever call out bad magumbo on a superstar like that.

I'm not saying that I want it to happen or anything. I love LT; it's just a weird feeling I've been having is all.
:shrug:

Geo
08-29-2008, 12:54 PM
I was only partly joking, I know you didn't mean any evil by it.

LDT is actually two months younger than Brian Westbrook, something I'm not sure many are aware of. Tomlinson is 29 years old and Westbrook will be too in less than a week, and both still have at least one great season if not more ahead of them imo.

Eaglez.Fan
08-29-2008, 01:18 PM
I was only partly joking, I know you didn't mean any evil by it.

LDT is actually two months younger than Brian Westbrook, something I'm not sure many are aware of. Tomlinson is 29 years old and Westbrook will be too in less than a week, and both still have at least one great season if not more ahead of them imo.

That is true however, Westbrook has 1014 career carries, with a total of 1361 touches. LDT has 2365 career carries, with a total of 2838 touches. More than double the pounding.

Geo
08-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Tomlinson is like Edgerrin James, one of the few freaks of nature in a decade who keep on ticking as high-workload starting runningbacks.

08-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Except LT doesn't take nearly as many shots as Edge. I wonder if LT is really starting to wear down because to this point it sure doesn't seem like it .

BeerBaron
08-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Tomlinson is like Edgerrin James, one of the few freaks of nature in a decade who keep on ticking as high-workload starting runningbacks.

I think you can throw Clinton Portis into that comparison too. And he's still 3 years away from even being 30!

Him splitting carries with Betts plus being in a WCO offense now might help to extend his career further as well

Dam8610
08-29-2008, 01:41 PM
I think this could turnout to be a very strange season. I don't for a minute think Brady and Peyton's injuries aren't serious. Manning's surgery is exactly the same one as Marvin Harrison's last season and Harrison said it bothered him all season. If that's the case, you just might see Indy finish last in their Dividion this year. H...mmmm

They had the same surgery maybe, but you're discounting a lot of factors here. Among them:

1) Manning's bursa sac was removed due to an infection, which was treated and is now gone, whereas Marvin's bursa sac was removed due to a knee bruise that damaged it. That's a HUGE difference
2) Manning, a pocket QB, will not be using his knee NEARLY as much as Marvin, a shifty WR who makes his money based on his ability to run excellent routes, which involves a lot of cutting and high speed running.
3) Manning, at age 31, will have a quicker healing process than Marvin at age 36.
4) Most importantly, Manning has already been cleared to play.

As for Brady, his injury could be a lot more serious than BB is letting on. If he is a can't go for game one, then BB is making Kansaas City work harder having to game plan for both QB's. If Brady is sidelined, then the AFC East could also see a major shake up.
I believe given the jinx that holds for 1st time SB winners and given the Giants injury, I see no way they make the playoffs this year. I think they are toast.

I'm sure the Chiefs will prepare to play Brady, as they should, and be as giddy as schoolgirls if they don't have to, because their backups obviously suck. Tom Brady has been on the injury report almost every week of his starting career, and he says he will be ready to go, so there's no reason not to believe him.

San Diego defense is all about Merriman. Nobody is mistaking Turner as a top HC. So Merriman's injury could very easily open up opportunities for other teams to take the AFC West. Their offense is going to have to step up and be far more effective to overcome the team's loss of sacks. Merriman is very capable of 17 or 18 sacks a year and replacing that is going to be difficult.

You may be onto something here, as doctors have said that any further damage could be career ending for Merriman, and both the Chargers and Merriman have painted a GIGANTIC bullseye on his wounded knee. He might play all season, but with 2 torn ligaments at a position that sees major contact every week, it's hard to assume such.

I just don't see Green Bay as being in the playoff picture. You don't lose a franchise QB of Favre magnitute without suffering a letdown. I don't see a franchise QB in Rodgers but even if he is decent, we are about to find out if GB has solid WR's and a running game. Favre made his WR's look perhaps far better than they are in reality and we could see a real fall off in their production. As for GB's running game, it was easy to be a RB for Green Bay with Favre at QB. Defending the pass was every opponents 1st priority leaving a lot of running lanes open for the RB's. They aren't going to have that luxury this season. Teams will stuff the box and make Rodgers beat them through the air limiting the effectiveness of any RB. Until Rodgers can show teams he is capable of putting up big points through the air, teams will continue to limit GB's running attack.

The Packers are 2006 Chargers Lite. Mark it down.

I not going to think this is just another season until I see the AFC teams come out of the shute and the NFC teams show that the changes haven't affected them. This could indeed be the year where the whole NFL sees a major shift of power. I'm holding my breath.

If it's for these reasons, I wouldn't hold my breath for very long. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady aren't going to miss any significant time. Merriman might, but for now, he's playing. The Packers still have their defense and an excellent young WR corps. We'll see how it all turns out though.

CC.SD
08-29-2008, 02:16 PM
I've been saying all offseason that I think LT is gonna get hurt this year. Just a weird feeling.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude.