PDA

View Full Version : Best Running Back Units in the NFL?

Hines
08-29-2008, 05:32 PM
In your opinion, which is your favorite running back units in the league? Could be the top two guys, or even the whole depth chart. Which running back unit is your favorite, and is the best?

I would have to say the Jags, Vikes, Steelers, Raiders, and Chargers to me. I cant really put a clear cut number one, but those are some that come to mind. Discuss.

StripedWalrus
08-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Jags and Vikes are prolly number 1. Mcfadden, Fargas, Bush have a big chance to be an amazing trio of players. As for Pitt, I gotta see Mendenhall play first. They have the potential for sure.

Gay Ork Wang
08-29-2008, 05:49 PM
1. Vikes
2. Jags
3. Chargers
4. Raiders
5. Steelers

bantx
08-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Does LT count as a unit by himself? Well with LT n Sproles doing a 90/10 and yes im being homer :]

And im liking what i see from felix jones and should compliment marion pretty well theyre up there as top duo for me

Unbiased
08-29-2008, 06:03 PM
1 and 2 are between the Jaguars and Vikings. I'd give the edge to the Jaguars, because F. Taylor and MJD are better compliments to each other, whereas Peterson and C. Taylor are more similar in running styles. After that, I wouldn't really give an edge between Hicks and Washington, but you have to like what Albert Young has done in the preseason. Fason, the Minnesota castoff has been okay but won't make the team.

The Chargers I won't really go into because obviously, they have the best running back in the league. I think Hester will be a pretty decent backup option and Sproles has that lightening quickness.

After that, I feel it's a battle between the Giants and the Raiders. Obviously a lot has to do with how McFadden plays, but I think at this point, it's safe to say he'll have a big impact with the team. You have Fargas, who rushed for 1,000 yards last year and Michael Bush who still has some potential to be the big goalline back that not every team has.

The Giants on the other hand have a lot of proven backs, led by the defensive end sized Jacobs who barely ran for 1,000 yards like Fargas. Bradshaw, the post-season phenom is an excellent compliment to Jacobs' power running style.You also have Derrick Ward who is in the middle of the other two as far as strengths and running style. Call him Mr. Dependable/Consistent. At this point, I'd give the Giants the edge but the Raiders may overtake them by the end of the season.

So I'd say:

1. Jaguars
2. Vikings
3. Chargers
4. Giants
5. Raiders

With the Cowboys and Steelers not far behind...

CashmoneyDrew
08-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Hopefully after this year people will be forced to throw in Lendale and Chris Johnson.

D-Unit
08-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Marion Barber, Felix Jones, Tashard Choice are underrated now, but they won't be after the season.

scottyboy
08-29-2008, 06:39 PM
obviously the homer in me says Giants, but probably not top 5 with no real stud, just excellent balance. Perhaps top 10, mainly because of depth and Bradshaw's potential.

Then of course Sjax and Leonard along with Willis "the illest" and Raymell "studmuffin" Rice, for STL and Balti are nasty as well

draftguru151
08-29-2008, 06:42 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01mVciNf96cYO/610x.jpg

A Perfect Score
08-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Id definately give the edge to the Jags, just because IMO they have 3 capable backs in Fred Taylor, Mojo, and Greg Jones, who cant be overlooked as a excellent goal line back. Minny are a very close #2 as they have 2 starting caliber backs. After that its a little more muddled, but i would probably go:

1. Jags
2. Vikes
3. Dolphins (assuming Ronnie is healthy)
4. Dallas

bantx
08-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Id definately give the edge to the Jags, just because IMO they have 3 capable backs in Fred Taylor, Mojo, and Greg Jones, who cant be overlooked as a excellent goal line back. Minny are a very close #2 as they have 2 starting caliber backs. After that its a little more muddled, but i would probably go:

1. Jags
2. Vikes
3. Dolphins (assuming Ronnie is healthy)
4. Dallas

i just dont see how dolphins be a top 3 RB duo with a injury prone ronnie brown and a hopeful ricky williams

CashmoneyDrew
08-29-2008, 06:50 PM
obviously the homer in me says Giants, but probably not top 5 with no real stud, just excellent balance. Perhaps top 10, mainly because of depth and Bradshaw's potential.

Actually that wasn't that much of a homer statement for you... lol.
I'd say the Giants are pretty close to the top 5.

bantx
08-29-2008, 06:54 PM
My top 5 would be

1. Jags
2. Vikes
3. Chargers
4. Cowboys
5. Raiders

I can see Panthers pushing top 5 after this year

CC.SD
08-29-2008, 06:55 PM
No love for Falcons? Those guys will produce.

Hines
08-29-2008, 06:59 PM
No love for Falcons? Those guys will produce.

No doubt that Turner will produce, and I like Norwood, but I dont think they will be top 5. I like the Jags, Vikes, Steelers, Raiders, Chargers, Giants, Cowboys, Tiatans, and even the Chiefs corps more then the Falcons at this point.

BrownsTown
08-29-2008, 07:01 PM
1. Vikes
2. Jags
3. Everyone else

Turtlepower
08-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Marion Barber, Felix Jones, Tashard Choice are underrated now, but they won't be after the season.

Marion Barber and Felix Jones are anything but underrated. I've heard the NFL Live guys spouting on non-stop about Felix Jones for weeks now.

Strongside
08-29-2008, 07:19 PM
I think the Saints deserve a mention. If McAllister is healthy they'll be pretty good with him Bush and Stecker.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-29-2008, 08:17 PM
No love for the Redskins? A top run blocking line when healthy, a pro bowl caliber back in Clinton Portis, a highly coveted backup in Ladell Betts who was the hottest RB in the NFL two seasons ago, Rock Cartwright a Kick Return dynamo, and possibly Marcus Mason who is the leading rusher in the NFL in the preseason this year. Add to that they have arguably the best FB in the NFL in Mike Sellers who can also run the ball, and I think they deserve some consideration. I'd definitely put it over a team like the Steelers with questions about Willie Parker and Mendenhall hasn't even played a snap in a regular season NFL game.

vidae
08-29-2008, 08:24 PM
Chiefs are nowhere near as good as some of them mentioned but we have a pretty good group here.

LJ, who can be as productive as anyone; Kolby Smith who filled in admirably last year when LJ went down and who has looked good in the preaseason; Jamaal Charles who is going to be a great change of pace back here in KC. He's incredibly fast and can line up anywhere.

I still think the Vikings have the best RB depth in the NFL though. Gotta get my homer comment in first though!

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-29-2008, 09:12 PM
#1 is a tossup between Minny and San Diego. I don't care if San Diego's backup isn't the greatest, when the starter is Ladainian Tomlinson you're in better shape than anyone else.

PACKmanN
08-30-2008, 01:43 AM
1. Min
2. SD
3. Jags
4. Was
5. Oak

brat316
08-30-2008, 02:18 AM
what about the Panthers

08-30-2008, 02:29 AM
I can't believe it but the Cowboys are actually underrated here ...

1. Jags
2. Vikes
3. Raiders
4. Chargers
5. Cowboys

bantx
08-30-2008, 02:34 AM
what about the Panthers

Deangelo 1st year starting and a Rookie i really like what ive seen so far but ill wait till next year to see.