PDA

View Full Version : Vontae Davis, CB

d34ng3l021
08-31-2008, 01:41 AM
http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/i/20070929/vontae-davis-549.jpg

What are your opinions on this guy? I have been everywhere with him. At first, I thought for sure he would be the top CB taken in next years draft and produce in the NFL. Then, I was a bit unsure because there are always so many CBs with great athletic abilities that don't pan out.

But I may just be on his bandwagon again...these are not his stats, but in fact Jeremy Maclin's receiving stats from his game against Illinois: 4 receptions for 31 yards. Now, I didnt watch the game, and I am just assuming that Davis was on Maclin a great deal. Can anyone approve this?

SenorGato
08-31-2008, 01:46 AM
Maclin got hurt.

d34ng3l021
08-31-2008, 01:53 AM
He left in the 4th quarter I believe.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
08-31-2008, 01:58 AM
Maclin got hurt.

Yeah, late in the game.

Vontae was covering Maclin for a good amount of snaps and had a pass break up against him where he was all over him with perfect coverage.

Top 5 pick.

CaliPanthers420
08-31-2008, 02:08 AM
Vontae Davis is a beast and will be the top corner taken.

He is everything you want in a corner back, he's big, physical, fast, plays with aggression and is very good in coverage.

Few plays that stand out in my mind:
Vontae Davis catching Joe McKnight from behind in last years Rose Bowl. McKnight was gone and out of no where, Davis just flew in their and made the tackle.

Vontae's pass defense tonight against Mizzu. He made some great plays, including that break up in the end zone.

The first tackle of the game tonight in the Mizzu game. Vontae attacks the line of scrimmage like a LB and made the tackle for no gain.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-31-2008, 02:36 AM
This guy is big. Like, seriously really bulky. The only conceivable knock I can see forthcoming is how well this guy is going to change directions when scouts look closer. He may even get some safety talk.

But all the tools are there to be a top 5 pick.

d34ng3l021
08-31-2008, 03:02 AM
I am worried about other stuff like ball skills, watching the CB, stiff hips even. No way this guy can run down Joe McKnight, be so physical, and be polished as a cornerback.

illmatic74
08-31-2008, 04:17 AM
If you are wonder about his athlectic ability you know who his brother is.

d34ng3l021
08-31-2008, 05:12 AM
If you are wonder about his athlectic ability you know who his brother is.

Well Vernon Davis hasnt exactly lit up the NFL yet, has he?

Race for the Heisman
08-31-2008, 10:04 AM

True, but all Vontae has to do to seal his status as a top prospect is light up the Combine, and he should have no problems with that.

SenorGato
08-31-2008, 12:00 PM

Well he hasn't sucked either.

Plus, his brother gets praise for his attitude.

Davis reminds me of Darrelle Revis on steriods. He'll go real early.

d34ng3l021
08-31-2008, 12:02 PM
True, but all Vontae has to do to seal his status as a top prospect is light up the Combine, and he should have no problems with that.

I guess. I was just thinking about the team that drafts him and his actual NFL status.

jbeans187
08-31-2008, 12:11 PM
He played great last night on Maclin and Perry. Absolute stud. I knew he left for a few plays with an injury...just a cramp?

Staubach12
08-31-2008, 12:45 PM
He's a hell of a player, no denying that. I'd like to see him continue this throughout the season, but right now, he's looking to be a top corner.

keylime_5
08-31-2008, 12:56 PM
I don't think Vontae's flaws are the kind that really hurt a guy's draft stock. His potential is not in question at all and he's not that raw, he'll be a top 10 pick if not then top 15, but that would only happen if either A)not many teams in the top 10 want a CB and the ones that do take a guy rated higher at another position or B)Jenkins goes first and that makes Vontae fall lower than he should go and a team in the top 15 gets great value in him falling. Needless to say this is an awesome year to have a top 10 pick if you need a CB no matter what type of system you run b/c Jenkins and Davis are both big fast, versatile corners who can play in any system and any coverage scheme.

illmatic74
08-31-2008, 01:06 PM
He has been injured and the 49ers have beenn an embarassment

sweetness34
09-01-2008, 09:13 PM
A) Vontae is not "raw." He has produced at the collegiate level. He's locked down Ted Ginn and Jeremy Maclin. He has very refined skills as a corner.

B) Vontae will light up the combine. He's a freak.

C) The main concern about him is his mental focus and I've heard some say he has stiff hips. The mental thing will improve as he gains more experience and I haven't seen much of the "stiff hip" argument although I haven't seen him in drills either.

If Vontae is too "stiff" to play corner he's going to be an elite safety in the NFL. He hits like a ton of bricks, has great speed, has great ball skills, and is a playmaker. So either way a team is getting an elite secondary player, although I do believe he can play corner in the NFL.

eaglesalltheway
09-02-2008, 07:37 AM
I like him a lot, and think he could be a top 10 pick this year. (If he continues preogressing and does what he can do.)He did a great job against a great offense this week. I want to see more of him though.

Twister18
09-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Vontae reminds me of a more physical Champ Bailey.

09-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Vontae reminds me of a more physical Champ Bailey.

Yeah, maybe Bailey's athleticism mixed in with Antoine Winfield's physicality. Truly a special prospect and barring injury he's a top 5 lock. Just someone I'm sure scouts have been drooling over for quite some time now and personally he's my top rated prospect for '09.

keylime_5
09-02-2008, 11:59 AM
A) Vontae is not "raw." He has produced at the collegiate level. He's locked down Ted Ginn and Jeremy Maclin. He has very refined skills as a corner.

B) Vontae will light up the combine. He's a freak.

C) The main concern about him is his mental focus and I've heard some say he has stiff hips. The mental thing will improve as he gains more experience and I haven't seen much of the "stiff hip" argument although I haven't seen him in drills either.

If Vontae is too "stiff" to play corner he's going to be an elite safety in the NFL. He hits like a ton of bricks, has great speed, has great ball skills, and is a playmaker. So either way a team is getting an elite secondary player, although I do believe he can play corner in the NFL.

No one said he was raw. And I think the stiff hips thing is really splitting hairs...no he doesn't have hips as fluid as pacman jones or leodis mckelvin but for guys as big as Vontae and Malcolm are they both have very good hips which is why they are both allamerican type corners and not safeties right now.

P-L
09-02-2008, 12:13 PM
I was really, really high on Malcolm Jenkins last year and had him as my #1 CB for most of the year. However, after watching Vontae towards the end of last year and I saw a little bit on Saturday, there is no doubt in my mind that he is the best corner in the country. He's a freak of nature physically and can man up with just about anyone. I know it's early, but right now I have him as one of the top five overall players eligible for the draft.

islandboy843
09-02-2008, 12:19 PM
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q156/babyfat9/IllinoisPS3.jpg

Since he has to go against Benn in practice he is the best corner in the nation.

Imagine if he was at a bigger school.

sweetness34
09-02-2008, 12:39 PM
I was really, really high on Malcolm Jenkins last year and had him as my #1 CB for most of the year. However, after watching Vontae towards the end of last year and I saw a little bit on Saturday, there is no doubt in my mind that he is the best corner in the country. He's a freak of nature physically and can man up with just about anyone. I know it's early, but right now I have him as one of the top five overall players eligible for the draft.

Wait what? Did a non Illinois fan just call Vontae the best corner in the country? Where's Sniper? I want him to see this. ;)

And to keylime, I've heard people say he's raw that's why I put that in my post.

He really is a truly special player. I've watched him every game the past 2 years (and the Mizzou game) and he's just something else to watch. He has a habit of not focusing all the time but when he does (like he did against Mizzou), he is a beast. Oh and for those who didn't see him run down McKnight, here ya go; (it's 1:11 in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfxPbfLTxIY

bored of education
09-02-2008, 12:52 PM
He is an amazing corner. I think he could fit in any scheme at the next level. Has the rare combo of physicallity and agility that could make him a top 5 pick.

Rob S
09-02-2008, 05:34 PM
He's nasty, plain and simple.

Ozzy
09-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Best CB in the nation, easily, his athletic ability is off the charts and nothing about him says he is not one of the best around at his position. Easy call really...

BaLLiN
09-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Vontae will probably go a little out of the top 10 doubt he'll be top 5. but why is malcolm jenkins completely ignored now?

Paranoidmoonduck
09-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Vontae will probably go a little out of the top 10 doubt he'll be top 5. but why is malcolm jenkins completely ignored now?

He's not ignored, but he's not quite the athlete Davis is and there remain a lot of question about his ability in man to man coverage. Those questions will remain for much of the season (or at least until we see Ohio State run less zone against better teams).

DeathbyStat
09-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Its him and Jenkings and then everyone else

CC.SD
09-03-2008, 01:40 PM
He's nasty but a top 5 pick as a CB? It doesn't happen too often, guys. I think Jenkins is a far more polished prospect and will probably end up being taken first, when it's all said and done.

Vontae would have to have a mindblowing season to get himself picked in the top 5. However, he could. Either way, he's an exciting player. He's got more than a little Cromartie in him.

ccB
09-03-2008, 02:46 PM
My opinion of him is that I want him on the Baltimore Ravens next year.

Sniper
09-03-2008, 03:40 PM
He's nasty but a top 5 pick as a CB? It doesn't happen too often, guys. I think Jenkins is a far more polished prospect and will probably end up being taken first, when it's all said and done.

Vontae would have to have a mindblowing season to get himself picked in the top 5. However, he could. Either way, he's an exciting player. He's got more than a little Cromartie in him.

Vontae will own the Combine. I don't think he's quite as good a player as Jenkins right now, but he's a better athlete, so he may go higher.

Twister18
09-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Vontae will own the Combine. I don't think he's quite as good a player as Jenkins right now, but he's a better athlete, so he may go higher.

Plus he is an amazing RS guy as well. Regis gets most of those touches though.

furiousgod
09-04-2008, 11:41 PM

if by light it up you mean fight your teammates on a regular basis he's doing an extraordinary job =)