PDA

View Full Version : Jaguars' Collier shot, has life-threatening injuries

Prince 561
09-02-2008, 07:05 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3564534

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jacksonville Jaguars offensive tackle Richard Collier was shot while waiting for some women outside an apartment early Tuesday and sustained life-threatening injuries, authorities said.

Collier, 26, and former Jaguars player Kenneth Pettway were waiting in a car when a gunman shot into the vehicle, Jacksonville Sheriff's Office spokesman Ken Jefferson said. Collier was shot several times but it's not clear where he was hit.

Collier was in critical condition at Shands Jacksonville Medical Center, a hospital official said. The motive behind the attack was unclear, and the sheriff's office was investigating.

During training camp, the third-year lineman competed for the starting job at left tackle but was beat out by Khalif Barnes.

Earlier this year, Collier pleaded no contest to a drunken driving charge stemming from an incident last fall, avoiding trial and accepting six months of probation.

The 6-foot-7, 350-pound linemen was arrested Nov. 3 after officers found him asleep behind the wheel of his sports utility vehicle at a McDonald's drive-thru window, according to a police report. Collier failed field sobriety tests and had a blood-alcohol level of .096. In Florida, it is illegal to drive when a person's blood-alcohol level reaches .08.

Collier's attorney, Hank Coxe, disputed the police report and recommended that his client go to trial, but Collier didn't want the team to have to deal with the negative attention that it would generate.

Pettway, a backup defensive end who played in 17 games over the past two seasons, was among the players cut by the Jaguars last weekend.

Jacksonville opens its season Sunday at Tennessee.

The Unseen
09-02-2008, 07:09 AM
Wow, that sucks. Let's hope he recovers.

WMD
09-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Damn.. hope he makes it through this.

bigbluedefense
09-02-2008, 08:24 AM
hope he recovers.

703SKINS202
09-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Good luck buddy.

MetSox17
09-02-2008, 08:48 AM
So after saying little to nothing about the actual incident, they go on to talk about his prior arrests, which have no relevance whatsoever to the story at hand.

Prince 561
09-02-2008, 08:51 AM
So after saying little to nothing about the actual incident, they go on to talk about his prior arrests, which have no relevance whatsoever to the story at hand.

You think this was an unprovoked attack? Come on, obviously this had something to do with a beef.

09-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Wow. I'm sure there was a motive behind it but damn this sucks man .

MetSox17
09-02-2008, 09:03 AM
You think this was an unprovoked attack? Come on, obviously this had something to do with a beef.

Someone had beef with him cause he fell asleep at the wheel of his car at a McDonald's drive thru? Right.

Bills2083
09-02-2008, 09:03 AM
wow, that really sucks. Hopefully he recovers from this.

princefielder28
09-02-2008, 09:27 AM
This is awful

eaglesalltheway
09-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Someone had beef with him cause he fell asleep at the wheel of his car at a McDonald's drive thru? Right.

I think his point is that he may have things not known by the writer of the article that would cause someone to have a beef. Either way, good luck and I hope he recovers.

MetSox17
09-02-2008, 09:50 AM
I think his point is that he may have things not known by the writer of the article that would cause someone to have a beef. Either way, good luck and I hope he recovers.

Well go read what he was responding to, which is why i wrote what i did.

eaglesalltheway
09-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Well go read what he was responding to, which is why i wrote what i did.

Hey I'm not calling you out or anything, I jus tfigured I'd clear that up if you weren't interpreting the way I was. I'm not on any sides.

Prince 561
09-02-2008, 10:18 AM

When somebody is involved in a crime, whether they're the victim or not, their past criminal history is relevant. Would you interpret the situation completely different if it was Warrick Dunn or another outstanding citizen who got shot? The fact that Collier isn't known as a great guy in NFL circles makes it likely that this wasn't a random act of violence.

MetSox17
09-02-2008, 10:20 AM
When somebody is involved in a crime, whether they're the victim or not, their past criminal history is relevant. Would you interpret the situation completely different if it was Warrick Dunn or another outstanding citizen who got shot? The fact that Collier isn't known as a great guy in NFL circles makes it likely that this wasn't a random act of violence.

I understand had he been involved in gang issues or domestic disputes, but it's a freakin DUI. He got pulled over at a McD's. How exactly will he be beefing with anyone there? With the drive thru operator?? Did you even read what i posted before you replied??

bored of education
09-02-2008, 10:29 AM
damn that sucks!

Prince 561
09-02-2008, 10:32 AM
I understand had he been involved in gang issues or domestic disputes, but it's a freakin DUI. He got pulled over at a McD's. How exactly will he be beefing with anyone there? With the drive thru operator?? Did you even read what i posted before you replied??

I never said he had beef related to the McDonald's incident, just that he doesn't have a good reputation in NFL circles as an outstanding citizen. Therefore, he is much more likely to have somehow provoked this attack whereas with a guy like Warrick Dunn we're less likely to come to that conclusion.

MetSox17
09-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Therefore, he is much more likely to have somehow provoked this attack whereas with a guy like Warrick Dunn we're less likely to come to that conclusion.

Wow.

Is that so? Why don't you go ahead and try explaining how you came to the conclusion that a DUI can lead to you provoking a shootout?

Prince 561
09-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Wow.

Is that so? Why don't you go ahead and try explaining how you came to the conclusion that a DUI can lead to you provoking a shootout?

He's known as a troublemaker...

CJSchneider
09-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Hope he recovers.

yourfavestoner
09-02-2008, 11:21 AM
He's known as a troublemaker...

This board is up there with MADD when it comes to overzealousness concerning DUIs.

Two or three stiff drinks, a few glasses of wine, or four or five beers is enough to put you over the legal limit. I guarantee that almost everyone will get behind the wheel of a car sometime in their life while being "over the legal limit" because they won't necessarily feel "impaired." The only thing that separates the people that get caught with the rest of society is luck. And if that's the case, I guess we're all troublemakers.

Also, there is word coming out of Jacksonville right now that Collier and Pettaway were set up by the tramps they were following home.

Prince 561
09-02-2008, 11:44 AM
This board is up there with MADD when it comes to overzealousness concerning DUIs.

Two or three stiff drinks, a few glasses of wine, or four or five beers is enough to put you over the legal limit. I guarantee that almost everyone will get behind the wheel of a car sometime in their life while being "over the legal limit" because they won't necessarily feel "impaired." The only thing that separates the people that get caught with the rest of society is luck. And if that's the case, I guess we're all troublemakers.

Also, there is word coming out of Jacksonville right now that Collier and Pettaway were set up by the tramps they were following home.

Heh, he obviously had more than a couple too many if he passed out while getting McDonald's.

That's not even my point though. I'm not here to pass any moral judgements on what Collier does. I'm just saying that it's always relevant to bring up the type of person somebody is when reporting a news story on somebody. Everybody wants to know WHY Collier was shot and since he's known as a troublemaker we can make some guesses.

703SKINS202
09-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Don't rush to judgment. Everyone thought Sean Taylor's death was provoked but it turned out to be just a random break in gone bad. RIP, hopefully Collier doesn't succumb the same fate.

abaddon41_80
09-02-2008, 02:45 PM
I don't want to sound insensitive but this guy has gotten in trouble with the law a few times and has received the label of a "gangster". Sitting in front of a hotel "waiting for some girls" at 2:45 in the morning? Sounds like a drug deal gone wrong

Prince 561
09-02-2008, 03:19 PM
I don't want to sound insensitive but this guy has gotten in trouble with the law a few times and has received the label of a "gangster". Sitting in front of a hotel "waiting for some girls" at 2:45 in the morning? Sounds like a drug deal gone wrong

That doesn't sound like a drug deal at all...

neko4
09-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Don't rush to judgment. Everyone thought Sean Taylor's death was provoked but it turned out to be just a random break in gone bad. RIP, hopefully Collier doesn't succumb the same fate.
What he said. Get well soon man

yourfavestoner
09-02-2008, 07:30 PM

Getting one DUI means you've gotten in trouble with the law a few times and a gangster? What the ****?

Come out here to LA. You'll see what a real gangster is.

Prince 561
09-03-2008, 09:43 AM
Getting one DUI means you've gotten in trouble with the law a few times and a gangster? What the ****?

Collier has a reputation within NFL circles for questionable behavior.

LA gangsters? The ones who live in the burbs? LA hasn't had many bangers since the 90s.

abaddon41_80
09-03-2008, 09:44 AM

It is not just the DUI. He is always one the local news here for getting into something with a fellow player or Jaguars' management.

yourfavestoner
09-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Collier has a reputation within NFL circles for questionable behavior.

LA gangsters? The ones who live in the burbs? LA hasn't had many bangers since the 90s.

LA hasn't had many bangers since the 90s? Are you serious? Crip and blood affiliation is down, but that's pretty much it. And any slack from them has been picked up by Latino gangs, especially MS-13 and 18th Street (the largest gang in the US).

nrk
09-03-2008, 11:10 AM

Only if your dealer is a moron.

Prince 561
09-03-2008, 11:22 AM
LA hasn't had many bangers since the 90s? Are you serious? Crip and blood affiliation is down, but that's pretty much it. And any slack from them has been picked up by Latino gangs, especially MS-13 and 18th Street (the largest gang in the US).

Places like Compton aren't even gang neighborhoods anymore. I have no clue on the number of bangers in LA, but their visibility is WAY down. I rarely see bangers posting in LA.

Menardo75
09-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Thats scarey man I hope he will be alright wish him the best

abaddon41_80
09-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Look, for all I know he was minding his own business and just going back with some girls he met at the club. But seeing as it was 2:45 in the morning, in front of some crappy apartments in a bad neighborhood, and the woman that was there won't give her name or show her face I think he was doing something wrong

DragonFireKai
09-04-2008, 07:33 AM

I haven't been able to take American street gangs seriously since I got back from Rio.

The Unseen
09-04-2008, 07:34 AM
It is not just the DUI. He is always one the local news here for getting into something with a fellow player or Jaguars' management.

What the heck are you talking about?

joercky
09-06-2008, 09:30 PM

Let's get something straight. One of the women is in the reserves and he had been seeing her for several months. Second Collier was not doing anything wrong. He was sitting in his car when he was shot several times.

Bruce Banner
09-06-2008, 09:32 PM

I know!
Who cares if a guy is risking everyone's lives?

WMD
09-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Just an update on this. ESPNews just said he's paralyzed from the waist down and had one of his legs amputated.

Shane P. Hallam
09-29-2008, 03:24 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jaguars-collier&prov=ap&type=lgns

There is the link from Yahoo confirming what WMD posted.

Bruce Banner
09-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Just an update on this. ESPNews just said he's paralyzed from the waist down and had one of his legs amputated.

I don't care if this was a drug deal gone bad, no one deserves that.

Twiddler
09-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Wow, just saw the article on Si.com. That's terrible, my prayers and wished go out to him and his family.

703SKINS202
09-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Wow, really really sad.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Wow this is devastating news for the NFL family. He should realize that it was a blessing to survive that many gun shots and while football and any physical activity may be over, it doesn't mean he can't live a fruitful life and make a difference in the community. I really hope Jacksonville helps him get a new life started by supporting in any way he needs until he gets back on his feet.

Yung Flippa
09-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Even though, he lost a leg, the good part if that he is still alive. He could have ended the same tragic way as Sean Taylor did. Hopefully, the Jags will help support him though.

Vox Populi
09-29-2008, 10:28 PM
50 aint got **** on him.

Seriously though, thats rough. Had no idea it was that bad and needed amputation and would make him a paraplegic for life, thought he might be able to walk away, but I didn't read into it too much so all this was kind of shocking to me.

FOURTEEN! WTF! If his toughness on Madden isn't 99, well... **** Madden lol.

aNYtitan
09-30-2008, 12:34 AM
Damn to go from the football field, to the hospital and now never to be able to play the game he has known his whole life. I'm sure he is grateful that he has survived an incident like this, but still, to never play the game you love has to feel like a piece of you died.

holt_bruce81
09-30-2008, 12:39 AM
That sucks! hope you can find someone to be around the game he loves.

thebow305
09-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Wow, just saw the article on Si.com. That's terrible, my prayers and wished go out to him and his family.

Same here.

rchrd
09-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Wow this is devastating news for the NFL family. He should realize that it was a blessing to survive that many gun shots and while football and any physical activity may be over, it doesn't mean he can't live a fruitful life and make a difference in the community. I really hope Jacksonville helps him get a new life started by supporting in any way he needs until he gets back on his feet.

Dude...you coulda chosen a better phrase lol.

MetSox17
09-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Until he gets back on his foot.

CJSchneider
09-30-2008, 08:14 PM
I do wish him well.