PDA

View Full Version : Rookie class will have small impact on starting lineups in Week 1

Splat
09-02-2008, 11:03 AM
http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story;jsessionid=BEAEDBD2321406858AB4D3AF5E4D7DCB? id=09000d5d80a6c9d2&template=with-video&confirm=true

Good read on rookies.

Smooth Criminal
09-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Steelers draft picks will have more of an effect than they usually do. I'm expecting Mendenhall and Sweed to get significant play time. Might even see some of Bruce Davis.

Yatta!
09-02-2008, 11:20 AM
It's interesting to see that two QBs will be starting from Day 1, can't remember that happening for a while.

bored of education
09-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Chiefs will have : Albert, Dorsey, Flowers, Mike Cox at FB, Jamal Charles and Savage doing things on Special teams. Probably most influential rookie class for a team this year.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Chiefs will have : Albert, Dorsey, Flowers, Mike Cox at FB, Jamal Charles and Savage doing things on Special teams. Probably most influential rookie class for a team this year.

Let's wait and see on their production and impact for other rookies, for respective teams, before saying that these Chiefs rookies are the most influential for this year.

Flyboy
09-02-2008, 11:33 AM
For the Saints, I'm pretty sure that Sedrick Ellis and Tracy Porter will be starting against TB. Carl Nicks was DAMN close to unseating Nesbit, but it hasn't happened... yet.

Hines
09-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Steelers draft picks will have more of an effect than they usually do. I'm expecting Mendenhall and Sweed to get significant play time. Might even see some of Bruce Davis.

Honestly, I only see Mendenhall doing things. Davis isnt ready yet, but should come in half season, or later on. Sweed is a nice talent, but needs a lot of work. I am hoping he can come on strong closer to the end of the season like Holmes did his rookie season.

themaninblack
09-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Keith Rivers will be starting at WLB of course. I expect Jason Shirley, Jerome Simpson, and Corey Lynch(possibly) to see some time as well.

Sims and Caldwell are out as far as I know.

Cribbs>Hester
09-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Chris Ellis will come off the bench for a 3 sack game.
Pierre Garcon will catch a touchdown pass.
Jalen Parmele will come in for an injured Ronnie Brown and average 5.7 ypc.
Chris Long will record a sack and two tackles for a loss.

Cleveland's rookies are all injured or suck except Alex Hall, but he won't see time over Slow Willie or Antwan Peek....at least I wouldn't think at this point.

CashmoneyDrew
09-02-2008, 11:37 AM
For the Titans I'm pretty sure most of their rookies will see significant action.
Chris Johnson will get in plenty of plays obviously.
Jason Jones will get time in the D-Line rotation probably at both end and tackle.
Craig Stevens and Lavelle Hawkins will get in plenty of packages to get on the field as well as special teams.
William Hayes may or may not see time in the rotation at end.

Jughead10
09-02-2008, 11:38 AM
It's interesting to see that two QBs will be starting from Day 1, can't remember that happening for a while.

Agreed. I read the title for the thread and this instantly came to mind. It hasn't happened in some time.

Young Legend
09-02-2008, 12:08 PM

You guys are really gonna start Albert at LT week 1. We could see a W.Justice type of performance.

Foe the Raiders it will only be McFadden

MaxV
09-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Last time I remember 2 rookie QBs started from game 1 was Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf. It might have happend again, but I can't remember.

I remember because Leaf outplayed Manning by a significant margin in the first 2 weeks.

LonghornsLegend
09-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Felix will be returning kickoffs and playing a huge role in the slot and all over the place for us, same could probably be said for Chris Johnson too...I see alot of these rookies having HUGE contributions in week 1, Kevin Smith also.

Jughead10
09-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Last time I remember 2 rookie QBs started from game 1 was Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf. It might have happend again, but I can't remember.

I remember because Leaf outplayed Manning by a significant margin in the first 2 weeks.

Thats is the only time I can recall as well, and that was 9 or 10 years ago already.

MaxV
09-02-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm trying to remember if David Carr started from day 1. I'm pretty sure Joey Harrington did.

Dam8610
09-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Thats is the only time I can recall as well, and that was 9 or 10 years ago already.

10 seasons ago.

bored of education
09-02-2008, 12:47 PM
its an upgrade to what we have if we start Albert. The reason why is has the most influence already is because they ALREADY are starters at their positions. SO most influential NOW. YES. Like I said.

d34ng3l021
09-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Sam Baker, LT. Rookie.
Matt Ryan, QB. Rookie.

The FO has a lot of guts starting rookies at 2 of the most important positions on the offense. Hopefully this works out for us. Both have played exceptionally well in the preseason and I hope that that will transfer over to the regular season.

Go_Eagles77
09-02-2008, 01:47 PM
I expect DeSean Jackson to have a nice game.

StripedWalrus
09-02-2008, 02:10 PM
When teams like Baltimore (5-11), Cincinnati (7-9), New York Jets (4-12), Oakland (4-12), and San Francisco (5-11) can't get one rookie starter for opening day it can be a problem down the road.

right....Is this guy a total idiot? I see that NFL.com analysts are no better than ESPN ones. He should do more research the next time he writes an article...as Keith Rivers will be a starting Linebacker, Jerome Simpson is looking to be the #3 receiver at the moment until Henry gets off suspension.

bigbluedefense
09-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Sam Baker, LT. Rookie.
Matt Ryan, QB. Rookie.

The FO has a lot of guts starting rookies at 2 of the most important positions on the offense. Hopefully this works out for us. Both have played exceptionally well in the preseason and I hope that that will transfer over to the regular season.

Ive been a huge Sam Baker fan for the longest. I personally liked him just as much if not more than Jake Long.

How is he doing btw?

Addict
09-02-2008, 02:22 PM
mildly dissapointed not to see Cherilus on that list

d34ng3l021
09-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Ive been a huge Sam Baker fan for the longest. I personally liked him just as much if not more than Jake Long.

How is he doing btw?

Really surprisingly well (at least for me). I thought we might need to change him to guard, but so far in the preseason he has handled his own against Paul Spicer and Vanden Bosch. He hasn't been beat in the preseason.

bigbluedefense
09-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Really surprisingly well (at least for me). I thought we might need to change him to guard, but so far in the preseason he has handled his own against Paul Spicer and Vanden Bosch. He hasn't been beat in the preseason.

not surprising to me. i never understood why ppl were so down on him. he was great to me.

very underrated pass blocker, and i thought he was decent in the run game too. i liked him a lot coming out.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-02-2008, 02:38 PM
not surprising to me. i never understood why ppl were so down on him. he was great to me.

very underrated pass blocker, and i thought he was decent in the run game too. i liked him a lot coming out.

The short arms thing really hurt his stock.

bigbluedefense
09-02-2008, 02:40 PM

The short arms thing really hurt his stock.

I know, but everytime i saw him play, he was fine. He uses such great technique, and when he locks up, he's a cement block out there, youre not getting to the qb.

Great feet too. Great speed. Good enough strength. He was a great technician, and was underrated in my eyes. Will he ever be a PB stud LT? I don't know, but I do think he can be a very good one.

abaddon41_80
09-02-2008, 02:47 PM
When teams like Baltimore (5-11), Cincinnati (7-9), New York Jets (4-12), Oakland (4-12), and San Francisco (5-11) can't get one rookie starter for opening day it can be a problem down the road.

This guy seems to forget that the 49ers drafted late in the first round and their first two picks were both considered "projects". It is not surprising at all that neither is starting

NY+Giants=NYG
09-02-2008, 02:55 PM
I know, but everytime i saw him play, he was fine. He uses such great technique, and when he locks up, he's a cement block out there, youre not getting to the qb.

Great feet too. Great speed. Good enough strength. He was a great technician, and was underrated in my eyes. Will he ever be a PB stud LT? I don't know, but I do think he can be a very good one.

That's not the thing though. People thought he would have trouble locking up pass rushers, because of his short reach. So the long arms of pass rushers would keep him at bay, until they read their keys, and then react, in which case they would throw him aside. That's why traditionally speaking, you want tackles with long terms to keep the pass rushers at bay. I remember posting that scouting article and had stuff on him too.

Sometimes great feet, speed, and having good technique may not work out, if the guy against you has equal talent, but longer arms.

That's probably why people knocked on Baker. I know after reading that article, I was not a fan of him either. I would be alittle worried if we got him.

d34ng3l021
09-02-2008, 03:03 PM

This is true. I really like how he uses his technique and feet. Both are a GREAT asset to him. His stock took a huge hit because of his injury and short arms. I guess I was worried about his short arms. I think he has alot of similarities to Matt Light. And Matt Ryan = Tom Brady.

Zomg Falcons = Patriots.

Menardo75
09-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Yeah I don't think any of the 9er rookies will be starting opening day. Maybe Rachal Reggie Smith or Josh Morgan sometime during the season

Splat
09-02-2008, 03:27 PM
You guys are really gonna start Albert at LT week 1. We could see a W.Justice type of performance.

He was looking pretty good in camp till he got hurt he was getting better every day I'm sure he will give up a sack maybe two but he won't be that bad.

49ersfan_87
09-02-2008, 03:31 PM
This guy seems to forget that the 49ers drafted late in the first round and their first two picks were both considered "projects". It is not surprising at all that neither is starting

Yeah the 49ers picks won't start for a while. 3-4 DE Kentwan Balmer (1st round)), OG Chilo Rachal (2nd round), CB/S Reggie Smith (3rd round), and C Cody Wallace (4th round) all are earmarked as starters 1-2 years down the road. I don't think any of them will start this year barring injury. 7th round LB Larry Grant is on the PS and if he ever makes the roster it will be as a ST'er. The only rookie that might start is WR Josh Morgan (6th round) who was an absolute beast this preseason. It's pretty close between him and Bryant Johnson. I think johnson gets the nod for now but Morgan could overtake him as the season progresses.

kmartin575
09-02-2008, 05:05 PM

Will Franklin should be the slot receiver when he gets back from his injury and Brandon Carr is our 3rd corner, lining up on the outside with Flowers at the nickle in the nickle package.

kmartin575
09-02-2008, 05:06 PM

Foe the Raiders it will only be McFadden

As a rookie he is still likely better than Kwame Harris.

B-Dawk
09-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Good to see Thomas worked his way into the starting lineup already. It's amazing still to think that he was a walk on here at UConn.

kmartin575
09-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Yeah the 49ers picks won't start for a while. 3-4 DE Kentwan Balmer (1st round)), OG Chilo Rachal (2nd round), CB/S Reggie Smith (3rd round), and C Cody Wallace (4th round) all are earmarked as starters 1-2 years down the road. I don't think any of them will start this year barring injury. 7th round LB Larry Grant is on the PS and if he ever makes the roster it will be as a ST'er. The only rookie that might start is WR Josh Morgan (6th round) who was an absolute beast this preseason. It's pretty close between him and Bryant Johnson. I think johnson gets the nod for now but Morgan could overtake him as the season progresses.

No offense but isn't it pretty bad when on such a bad team no rookies are able to provide a huge impact? I guess the 49ers shouldn't be worried about building for now but you would still think some of them would make a bigger impact.

abaddon41_80
09-02-2008, 05:20 PM
No offense but isn't it pretty bad when on such a bad team no rookies are able to provide a huge impact? I guess the 49ers shouldn't be worried about building for now but you would still think some of them would make a bigger impact.

Maybe it shows the 49ers aren't as bad as some people seem to think

21ST
09-02-2008, 05:20 PM
the redskins have Durrant Brooks starting but i guess that dont count cause it aint in the article

derza222
09-02-2008, 05:43 PM
The Jets actually may have a rookie starting, 4th round CB Dwight Lowery. Miller is injured and Lowery really has impressed in TC and preseason games, he could be a solid find and a good starter across from Revis if he continues to develop.

Plus Dustin Keller is essentially a starter, he'll almost constantly be on the field in the slot and at tight end. Gholston will get time in pass rush situations. That's pretty much it although Marcus Henry could get some red zone time. Nothing tremendous from this class thus far but I don't think it's unrealistic to have 3 starters, a backup QB, and a solid contributor at WR out of this class which isn't too bad at all.

Xonraider
09-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Considering we drafted McFadden and no one... probably not much influence

49ersfan_87
09-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Maybe it shows the 49ers aren't as bad as some people seem to think

Agreed. Im not going to guarantee a playoff spot or a division win but they will be competitive this year. I predict anywhere from 7-9 wins this year. Not great but better than the 2 or 3 games a lot of people think the 49ers will win.

scottyboy
09-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Kenny Phillips should start. I'm not sure he will, but he should and if he doesn't on Thursday(ZOMGZ 2 days til the NFL!), he will fairly shortly

MetSox17
09-02-2008, 06:24 PM
I think for us, our rookies will have a pretty decent impact against Cleveland. With Austin and Hurd out, and Stanback shaky, we might need to throw Witten in the slot and Martellus at TE. Felix Jones will get his fair share of touches, and Tashard Choice might come in for three or four carries throughout the game.

Joeyjr09
09-02-2008, 06:36 PM

Nah, that award easily goes to the Dolphins.

We will be starting Jake Long at LT, Donald Thomas at RG and Kendall Langford at DE, and Dan Carpenter at K.

Phillip Merling has looked great in preseason and will get plenty of PT and start before the year is over.

Chad Henne won the number 2 QB job.

And throw in Devone Bess who won our slot WR role.

The Dolphins will start 4 guys from Day 1 plus get huge impact by Phillip Merling and Devone Bess from the get go. And that's not even counting guys like Parmele who will have an impact on Special Teams.

Dolphins rookies easily have more impact then Chiefs rookies.

bored of education
09-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Nah, that award easily goes to the Dolphins.

We will be starting Jake Long at LT, Donald Thomas at RG and Kendall Langford at DE, and Dan Carpenter at K.

Phillip Merling has looked great in preseason and will get plenty of PT and start before the year is over.

Chad Henne won the number 2 QB job.

And throw in Devone Bess who won our slot WR role.

The Dolphins will start 4 guys from Day 1 plus get huge impact by Phillip Merling and Devone Bess from the get go. And that's not even counting guys like Parmele who will have an impact on Special Teams.

Dolphins rookies easily have more impact then Chiefs rookies.

4 position starters(LT, DT, CB, FB) v. 3(DE, RG, LT) and one special teams (k)kicker?

4 position starters and a nickle corner, backup safety, slot receiver, back up TE, back up DE, and kr and pr vs. 3 positional starters a kicker, a back up qb, a back up DLineman, number 3??

Dude

Albert, Dorsey, Flowers, Cox, Carr, Morgan, Cottam, Charles, Savage, Johnston, Franklin have a greater infuence from DAY ONE..not using speculation and what could happen than Miami.

I'm not being a homer. The numbers of rookies who will see time the 1st game is greater than that of the Dolphins.

Sorry

Caddy
09-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Jeremy Zuttah is starting at RG this week for the Buccaneers so obviously this writer hasn't done much background research.

In other Buc related new, Aqib Talib will see a lot of nickel action and Dexter Jackson will be handling punt/kick offs.

skinzzfan25
09-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Durrant Brooks vs Jeff Feagles on Thursday.

Be prepared for an epic punting battle.

scottyboy
09-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Jeremy Zuttah is starting at RG this week for the Buccaneers so obviously this writer hasn't done much background research.

In other Buc related new, Aqib Talib will see a lot of nickel action and Dexter Jackson will be handling punt/kick offs.

Bucs with Zuttah=epic win

Caddy
09-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Bucs with Zuttah=epic win

Sedrick Ellis will be pancaked at least 30-35 times.

Sniper
09-02-2008, 07:37 PM
ZOMGZ The Eagles have a real punt returner! ZOMGZ I'm so excited. What's it like having a returner who goes more than five yards before getting tackled?

d34ng3l021
09-02-2008, 07:38 PM
4 position starters(LT, DT, CB, FB) v. 3(DE, RG, LT) and one special teams (k)kicker?

4 position starters and a nickle corner, backup safety, slot receiver, back up TE, back up DE, and kr and pr vs. 3 positional starters a kicker, a back up qb, a back up DLineman, number 3??

Dude

Albert, Dorsey, Flowers, Cox, Carr, Morgan, Cottam, Charles, Savage, Johnston, Franklin have a greater infuence from DAY ONE..not using speculation and what could happen than Miami.

I'm not being a homer. The numbers of rookies who will see time the 1st game is greater than that of the Dolphins.

Sorry

QB, LT, MLB wins.

skinzzfan25
09-02-2008, 08:00 PM
ZOMGZ The Eagles have a real punt returner! ZOMGZ I'm so excited. What's it like having a returner who goes more than five yards before getting tackled?

No more Reno Mahe?

:(

Sniper
09-02-2008, 08:01 PM
No more Reno Mahe?

:(

No more Reno!!!!!!!!!

BlindSite
09-02-2008, 08:07 PM
They forgot that the Panthers have Charles Godfrey at FS, as well as Otah at tackle.

bored of education
09-02-2008, 08:44 PM
They forgot that the Panthers have Charles Godfrey at FS, as well as Otah at tackle.

I did not forget that.

BlindSite
09-02-2008, 09:18 PM
That's because you're a smart feller unlike the people who write for NFL.com

TheBuffaloBills
09-02-2008, 09:24 PM
The Bills dont have any rookies starting.

I think we might even see more Chris Ellis rather than McKelvin on defense this sunday.

Bruce Banner
09-02-2008, 09:28 PM
I prefer when rookies aren't thrown into the fire but these top picks are being paid so much that teams are being forced into starting roles.

Joeyjr09
09-02-2008, 10:01 PM

Dude

Sorry

Since when does a FB have more value then a kicker. I know kickers are laughed at and all that good stuff but seriously you can't really tell me you think your FB will have more impact then our kicker. Not having a good kicker can kill teams. Not having a good FB is no big deal, they are a dime a dozen on the waiver wire.

If you want to bring it up tho.

Here are the rookies to watch for the Chiefs: Albert, Dorsey, Flowers, Cox, Carr, Morgan, Cottam, Charles, Savage, Johnston, Franklin.

Here are the ones to watch for the Dolphins: Long, Langford, Thomas, Merling, Henne, Bess, Carpenter, Parmele, Murphy.

Let's go down the list. Long will be better then Albert. Lon has done enough to earn the job. Albert is given it because they have no one else. He's just as likely to be a liability as an asset from day 1. Advantage Dolphins.

Dorsey and Langford are likely to be a wash. Dorsey has more upside but he will struggle this season as he will be the only one to worry about on the Chiefs DL. Miami has a good DL which will allow Langford more room to make plays. Pretty even as far as this season goes. Push

Flowers has a leg up on Thomas as starting CBs are more valuable then starting OGs. Advantage Chiefs.

((So far we are dead even between the teams.))

Franklin isn't your slot WR at this point as don't embellish. He is running 4th behind Bowe, Darling, and Webb. Bess on the other hand will be our slot WR from day 1. Franklin should take that position fairly early but for now this has to be Advantage Dolphins.

Carr is likely about equal to Merling. Carr will be your nickel CB. Merling is our primary backup at DE. He will be getting starters minutes when Holliday drops back to LB and when Langford needs a rest. Push

Jamal Charles is equal to Jalen Parmele. Both are number 3 RBs this year. Push.

Cottam is equal to Shawn Murphy. Our primary backup at OG with your primary backup TE. Push.

((Dolphins slightly up due to Bess over Franklin.))

Carpenter and Cox, I'll give you a wash just to be nice but it should be advantage Dolphins. FB is likely the least important position to fill and Cox ain't anything special. But since Carpenter is just a kicker I'll say it's a push.

Henne will have more impact then Morgan. With Chad Pennington's injury history, Henne will get some PT this season and even with limited amounts of time will have more impact then a backup safety just because Henne plays the most important position on the field. Advantage Dolphins.

((Dolphins up by a fair amount due to Bess over Franklin and Henne over Morgan))

You still have Savage and Johnston.

Johnston isn't any more likely to make an impact then a guy like Nate Garner that Miami just picked up to be their backup OT. Johnston is what your 4th DE? Garner is our 4th OT. Push.

Savage will be your returner while the Dolphins have run out of rookies to counter. Obviously advantage KC.

((Consider the Dolphins were up by a fair amount, I'd say adding in Savage balances it out. Both team are dead even))

It's definitely closer to call then I had originally thought but both teams do seem pretty even at this point. However, don't forget that fact that KC had more draft picks then any team in the NFL with 2 of those picks being in the top 15 overall. Dolphins were working with way less and still look like they have just as many if not more impact rookies on their roster.

Sniper
09-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Let's go down the list. Long will be better then Albert because Long is the greatest OT in the history of football!

Fixed that for you.

bored of education
09-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Let's go down the list. Long will be better then Albert. Lon has done enough to earn the job. Albert is given it because they have no one else. He's just as likely to be a liability as an asset from day 1. Advantage Dolphins.

Dorsey and Langford are likely to be a wash. Dorsey has more upside but he will struggle this season as he will be the only one to worry about on the Chiefs DL. Miami has a good DL which will allow Langford more room to make plays. Pretty even as far as this season goes. Push[b]He will be first day, one of the top 3 defenders on the Chiefs. He was viewed as the number one overall player in this years draft. RIGHT NOW he is at a greater advantage and will have a very good season. I wouldnt call that a wash at all.

((So far we are dead even between the teams.)) not really a number one CB has much greater impact than a starting guard with a good line already around him.

Franklin isn't your slot WR at this point as don't embellish. He is running 4th behind Bowe, Darling, and Webb. Bess on the other hand will be our slot WR from day 1. Franklin should take that position fairly early but for now this has to be Advantage Dolphins. I'll give you that one./b]

Jamal Charles is equal to Jalen Parmele. Both are number 3 RBs this year. Push.[b] push maybe Charles is one of the kck returners, so close enough for a push

Henne will have more impact then Morgan. With Chad Pennington's injury history, Henne will get some PT this season and even with limited amounts of time will have more impact then a backup safety just because Henne plays the most important position on the field. Advantage Dolphins. OUr primary backup safety, a special teams gunner, and major roles in special teams is greater than a backup Qb who may NEVER see the field..I dont see it an advantage for the Phins...more likely a push

Johnston isn't any more likely to make an impact then a guy like Nate Garner that Miami just picked up to be their backup OT. Johnston is what your 4th DE? Garner is our 4th OT. Push.Johnston is the backup DE. Number one back up to both Hali and McBride..he could merge above those two crappy guys so I'll say advantage chiefs.

Savage will be your returner while the Dolphins have run out of rookies to counter. Obviously advantage KC.

((Consider the Dolphins were up by a fair amount, I'd say adding in Savage balances it out. Both team are dead even))

It's definitely closer to call then I had originally thought but both teams do seem pretty even at this point. However, don't forget that fact that KC had more draft picks then any team in the NFL with 2 of those picks being in the top 15 overall. Dolphins were working with way less and still look like they have just as many if not more impact rookies on their roster.
RIght now more influence like I said. I highlighted the major parts I had an issue with

Joeyjr09
09-02-2008, 11:42 PM
RIght now more influence like I said. I highlighted the major parts I had an issue with

The fact that you called Dorsey the number 1 player in the draft (it was clearly McFadden), the fact that you think Albert who has been hurt all preseason and basically handed a job by default and didn't even play OT in college will produce as much as the number 1 overall pick and guy who has been playing well all offseason, and the fact that you think a special teams gunner has more value then a backup QB shows the homerism of your post.

You can say Flowers has a better impact then Thomas but fact is that Flowers while playing a more important position, likely will not play anywhere near the level of Thomas. Flowers will have tons of growing pains as a CB. It's one of the hardest positions to learn and he will be covering some very good wideouts on his own. Thomas is playing a position that is easy to succeed in and has good players around him to take the pressure off. Flowers plays a better position, Thomas is likely to be more productive. It's definately advantage Chiefs but lets not make it out to be this huge thing.

The biggest thing I can't get over, is your blatant contrast in what you say. On one hand you say that Branden Albert and Jake Long are a wash because they "are both rookies and havent had one start and playing same position" but then when you have Kendal Langford and Glenn Dorsey who "are both rookies and havent had one start and playing basically the same position" you say Dorsey has a huge advantage? You basically are picking an point and using it to support the outcome you want but ignoring it when it supports the outcome you don't want.

Lastly, how can you think a special teams gunner has as much value as a backup QB? Have you seen the amount of time backup QBs have played the last few years? Go look it up. It's alot more then you think. Add the fact that Chad Pennington is one of the most injury prone QBs in the game, and the fact that Chad Henne is the Dolphins future and will get some time in to learn and grow. Henne definitely will get plenty of PT this season and will make much more of an impact at QB then Morgan will as a ST gunner and backup safety.

Menardo75
09-02-2008, 11:42 PM
As a rookie he is still likely better than Kwame Harris.

Maybe in pass protection if Kwame figured out how to move his feet in pass pro he would be a stud

Menardo75
09-02-2008, 11:49 PM

And who did long have to win the job from? And either way why is this argument important?

CC.SD
09-03-2008, 12:12 AM

The only issue I have with your highlights is that you say Glenn is a top 3 defender on the Chiefs...I think he's already the unquestionable number 1. Yes, even over DJ.

the Chiefs did smoke the fins in the draft, if Albert isn't a complete flop.

Jughead10
09-03-2008, 12:21 AM
The only issue I have with your highlights is that you say Glenn is a top 3 defender on the Chiefs...I think he's already the unquestionable number 1. Yes, even over DJ.

the Chiefs did smoke the fins in the draft, if Albert isn't a complete flop.

Who knows. Can't say that for a few years now. Remember the Cardinals had all those "great" drafts under Green. Basically they took a ton of NFLDC favorites. Didn't mean they were the best. I kind of have the same sense with the Chiefs draft. Parcells and crew know how to fit guys into their system.

Joeyjr09
09-03-2008, 07:49 AM
And who did long have to win the job from? And either way why is this argument important?

Um...Vernon Carey.

Bengalsrocket
09-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Um...Vernon Carey.

Isn't Carey moving to RT? I don't think it's a tough decision on Parcells to have Long win that position battle if the guy he's replacing can be an improvement somewhere else. In fact, it almost feels like Carey won the RT spot, and Long was just given the LT spot - considering how much it would cost to bench your #1 overall pick and get zero production out of him.

josh07039
09-03-2008, 09:33 AM
The part of the article that is stupid is when he talks about a few teams with bad records like the Jets and mentions that they have no rookies starting as a sign of future problems. At least in the case of the Jets, they spent 800 billion dollars on free agents this year so that's one reason no rookies are starting. Additionally just because they aren't starting doesn't mean many rookies aren't going to make an impact. In fact, Dwight Lowery may actually be starting week one after the injury to Justin Miller. Keller is going to be in all the time as a pass catching threat and Gholston will see time as a pass rusher.

The article was quickly put together and little research was done.

Flyboy
09-03-2008, 10:09 AM

Haha, lawlz. Ellis will make Faine cry at night.

Cribbs>Hester
09-03-2008, 11:01 AM

The draft world got very down on Sam Baker because of his atrocious game against Oregon State a few years back when he was completely B****ed by the Oregon State DE all game long, not to mention he couldn't open a hole to save his life on the ground either. Obviously it was the worst game of his career, but he stood out so badly in a USC lost, which they rarely do, that everyone remembered it just like everyone will remember Winston Justice against New York last year.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-03-2008, 12:02 PM

Where did the DeSean Jackson hate go?

bored of education
09-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Barry Richardson will be taking over the Rt position anyday now. He has looked better than Damion McIntosh, which is not saying much. But Richardson seemed to have that nasty attitude to the game like he had his junior year.

scottyboy
09-03-2008, 05:54 PM

Jeremy Zuttah>>>>>>>Sedrick Ellis

09-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Where did the DeSean Jackson hate go?

Oh, how so funny it truly is to see opinions change oh so quickly. I'll cut him some slack though because he sure wasn't the only one ..

Bruce Banner
09-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Jeremy Zuttah>>>>>>>Sedrick Ellis

Zuttah's looking reaaaallyyyyy good Scotty.

bored of education
09-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Barry Richardson is about to take over RT. He is back to his junior.sophmore year form when he actually gave a crap.

Geo
09-03-2008, 06:44 PM
236th overall pick Jamey Richard of the University at Buffalo will be the starting center for the Indianapolis Colts.

Buffalowned

SuperMcGee
09-03-2008, 07:14 PM
236th overall pick Jamey Richard of the University at Buffalo will be the starting center for the Indianapolis Colts.

Buffalowned

Score!
But you should've kept Guzman :(

scottyboy
09-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Zuttah's looking reaaaallyyyyy good Scotty.

damn right he is. He's so awesome. Wouldn't expect anything less. I know he won't replace Joseph, but the rest of the OL better watch out! They're jobs are in trouble(well except maybe Sears...)

Bruce Banner
09-03-2008, 07:22 PM
damn right he is. He's so awesome. Wouldn't expect anything less. I know he won't replace Joseph, but the rest of the OL better watch out! They're jobs are in trouble(well except maybe Sears...)

He is the #1 backup at every position on the line (when everyone is healthy).

scottyboy
09-03-2008, 07:23 PM

he should start. There's gotta be some weak point on that line. He should probably start over Faine...

Joeyjr09
09-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Isn't Carey moving to RT? I don't think it's a tough decision on Parcells to have Long win that position battle if the guy he's replacing can be an improvement somewhere else. In fact, it almost feels like Carey won the RT spot, and Long was just given the LT spot - considering how much it would cost to bench your #1 overall pick and get zero production out of him.

The difference between Jake Long is that has be actually been on the field and looked good. If Jake struggled, Miami could easily move Carey to LT and try Long at RT (where most experts thought he'd be best) or even inside to Guard. Miami has some talent at OL and could have moved a struggling rookie around, not insert him right into the LT spot. But Long has looked good and held his own so there's no reason to move him from LT, that way we can keep Carey at RT where he could be a Pro Bowler.

Branden Albert on the other hand, hasn't even been on the field. He's been hurt almost all TC and still will take over at LT not because he has been there and played well and deserved to hold that spot, but instead he has it basically because if he didn't they would be stuck with McIntosh at LT. For those who forget, McIntosh was let go by the 1-15 Dolphins in favor of LJ freakin Shelton. KC has no choice but to play Albert there even if he sucks, Miami has the choice to move Long if he struggled because they have another good young option for LT in Vernon Carey.

Caddy
09-03-2008, 07:29 PM

That may be so, but watch out for Zuttah. I've been informed from my entirely non-biased source (scotty) that he is good for about 500 pancakes on the season.

Caddy
09-03-2008, 07:31 PM

Well that isn't entirely true. I doubt he would start at C over Sean Mahan or at LT over Anthony Davis.

Bruce Banner
09-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Well that isn't entirely true. I doubt he would start at C over Sean Mahan or at LT over Anthony Davis.

According to BuccaneerBonzai, he would if Penn went down and the rest of the line was good.

XxXdragonXxX
09-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Seahawks.com lists DE Lawrence Jackson and TE John Carlson as starters.

Caddy
09-03-2008, 08:16 PM
According to BuccaneerBonzai, he would if Penn went down and the rest of the line was good.

BuccaneerBonzai is a poster on the Buccaneers message board right? Great source.

The reason I say he won't start at LT or C is pretty simple. Anthony Davis and Sean Mahan have plenty of starting experience in Tampa Bays offense. If Zuttah plays lights out at RG, I could see him possibly starting at LT if Penn went down, but I still think him starting at C would be a huge stretch over Mahan.

Bruce Banner
09-03-2008, 08:41 PM
BuccaneerBonzai is a poster on the Buccaneers message board right? Great source.

Bad as it may sound, BB has sources.

Caddy
09-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Bad as it may sound, BB has sources.

I still wouldn't trust another poster when it defies simple logic.

Bruce Banner
09-03-2008, 08:55 PM
I still wouldn't trust another poster when it defies simple logic.

Guess we'll have to wait for Penn to tear an ACL.

Caddy
09-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Guess we'll have to wait for Penn to tear an ACL.

DON'T SAY THAT!

Bruce Banner
09-03-2008, 08:58 PM
DON'T SAY THAT!
Sorry.

Your avatar is amazing.

scottyboy
09-03-2008, 09:07 PM
DON'T SAY THAT!

Zuttah>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Penn

Zuttah never played center for us, so while he could easily block, I've never seen him snap.

SaintsMan
09-03-2008, 10:38 PM

Good, I get to see Ellis get owned on every play in person. Yay.

Ellis is starting at Nose Tackle, Tracy Porter at Right Cornerback.

Menardo75
09-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Um...Vernon Carey.

Um they moved him to right tackle so long could play left I still do not know how you justified your argument they both were handed the job when they drafted Jake Long Vernon Carey was struggling at LT and everyone thinks he is a better fit at RT anyway. I do not see how that makes him any different than Albert

Menardo75
09-03-2008, 10:46 PM
The draft world got very down on Sam Baker because of his atrocious game against Oregon State a few years back when he was completely B****ed by the Oregon State DE all game long, not to mention he couldn't open a hole to save his life on the ground either. Obviously it was the worst game of his career, but he stood out so badly in a USC lost, which they rarely do, that everyone remembered it just like everyone will remember Winston Justice against New York last year.

That was the UCLA game was'nt it?

Joeyjr09
09-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Um they moved him to right tackle so long could play left I still do not know how you justified your argument they both were handed the job when they drafted Jake Long Vernon Carey was struggling at LT and everyone thinks he is a better fit at RT anyway. I do not see how that makes him any different than Albert

Since when did Vernon Carey struggle at LT? I just realized, there's no reason to argue with you, you don't know what you are talking about. Go ask any expert, Carey more then held his own as our starting LT. Just because he is a better fit at RT does not mean Sparano couldn't have easily shifted him back to LT if Long struggled.

Part of the appeal of taking Long as that we could move Carey to to RT were he can be a Pro Bowler. We take care of two spots with 1 pick. We didn't take Long to replace Carey the way KC took Albert to replace the no names they had at that spot. We took Long to move Carey over and improve the whole line.

Anyways, this discussion ended when you said Carey struggled at LT. You don't know what your talking about. If you don't watch Carey play then at least read the write ups about him before you post. He played very well last year.

Menardo75
09-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Since when did Vernon Carey struggle at LT? I just realized, there's no reason to argue with you, you don't know what you are talking about. Go ask any expert, Carey more then held his own as our starting LT. Just because he is a better fit at RT does not mean Sparano couldn't have easily shifted him back to LT if Long struggled.

Part of the appeal of taking Long as that we could move Carey to to RT were he can be a Pro Bowler. We take care of two spots with 1 pick. We didn't take Long to replace Carey the way KC took Albert to replace the no names they had at that spot. We took Long to move Carey over and improve the whole line.

Anyways, this discussion ended when you said Carey struggled at LT. You don't know what your talking about. If you don't watch Carey play then at least read the write ups about him before you post. He played very well last year.

Then why did'nt they move Long to RT if Carey played so well it is said that Long is a pro bowl RT right off the bat but could stuggle with speed on the left

Flyboy
09-04-2008, 01:15 PM
That may be so, but watch out for Zuttah. I've been informed from my entirely non-biased source (scotty) that he is good for about 500 pancakes on the season.

He's no Jahri Evans.

Cribbs>Hester
09-04-2008, 01:25 PM
It turns out Cleveland will have a rookie contributer from day 1 after all. Antwan Peek tore his patella tendon yesterday ending his season and more likely than not his career. This opens the door for Alex Hall who will be playing a huge role in our defense now. Hopefully he keeps up his current learning curve because he's been growing and improving at a rapid rate...we're going to need that to continue to be successful this season.

kmartin575
09-04-2008, 02:17 PM
The difference between Jake Long is that has be actually been on the field and looked good. If Jake struggled, Miami could easily move Carey to LT and try Long at RT (where most experts thought he'd be best) or even inside to Guard. Miami has some talent at OL and could have moved a struggling rookie around, not insert him right into the LT spot. But Long has looked good and held his own so there's no reason to move him from LT, that way we can keep Carey at RT where he could be a Pro Bowler.

Branden Albert on the other hand, hasn't even been on the field. He's been hurt almost all TC and still will take over at LT not because he has been there and played well and deserved to hold that spot, but instead he has it basically because if he didn't they would be stuck with McIntosh at LT. For those who forget, McIntosh was let go by the 1-15 Dolphins in favor of LJ freakin Shelton. KC has no choice but to play Albert there even if he sucks, Miami has the choice to move Long if he struggled because they have another good young option for LT in Vernon Carey.

Way to talk out your rear. Herb Taylor would be the left tackle if Albert struggled or was out, not McIntosh. Herm Edwards has said he will be ready to pull Albert if he is struggling too bad.

The Dolphins were not 1-15 when they let go of McIntosh, they were 1-15 after they let go of him. And the starter was Carey last time I checked, not LJ Shelton.

Carey could be a pro bowler at RT? WTF are you smoking.

Joeyjr09
09-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Way to talk out your rear. Herb Taylor would be the left tackle if Albert struggled or was out, not McIntosh. Herm Edwards has said he will be ready to pull Albert if he is struggling too bad.

The Dolphins were not 1-15 when they let go of McIntosh, they were 1-15 after they let go of him. And the starter was Carey last time I checked, not LJ Shelton.

Carey could be a pro bowler at RT? WTF are you smoking.

Ok, sorry the Dolphins were 6-10, upgraded to LJ Shelton and still went 1-15. Can you imagine how bad McIntosh must have been to get let go by a team that wasn't even good enough to get 2 wins.

Dude, they let go of McIntosh because they signed LJ Shelton. Then they shifted Carey to LT and put Shelton at RT. If it were not for signing LJ Shelton, Miami would have resigned McIntosh to man RT. The Carey move was going to happen either way. Get your facts straight.

Go watch Carey play and listen to anaylsis on him before you make stupid comments about his potential.

scottyboy
09-05-2008, 07:42 AM
He's no Jahri Evans.

damn right, Zuttah is much better and sexier

Go_Eagles77
09-05-2008, 02:31 PM
DeSean Jackson is officially starting at the Z (flanker) WR on Sunday. :)

Sniper
09-05-2008, 07:53 PM

Dear Woodson. The Rams' defense doesn't have to worry about him running a slant then.

Bruce Banner
09-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Dear Woodson. The Rams' defense doesn't have to worry about him running a slant then.

How's Tye Hill doing? He'd be matched up with D-Jax right?
Haven't heard Hill's name since it was announced in 06.

Sniper
09-05-2008, 07:57 PM
How's Tye Hill doing? He'd be matched up with D-Jax right?
Haven't heard Hill's name since it was announced in 06.

I don't follow the Rams, Ask our resident Rams expert, yodachu.

Menardo75
09-05-2008, 08:24 PM
I was going to say are there any Rams fans here

Flyboy
09-05-2008, 08:26 PM

Two TDs. I'm calling it.

Sniper
09-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Two TDs. I'm calling it.

Damn. High hopes. I'll settle for one.

Caddy
09-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Damn. High hopes. I'll settle for one.

I really want DeSean to do well in the NFL. He was my favourite prospect in last years draft and I REALLY wanted him to be a Buccaneer. Instead I had to settle for Dexter Jackson. :(

Sniper
09-05-2008, 08:43 PM
I really want DeSean to do well in the NFL. He was my favourite prospect in last years draft and I REALLY wanted him to be a Buccaneer. Instead I had to settle for Dexter Jackson. :(

Trust me Dexter Jackson can absolutely fly. I would know :(

I want Jackson to do well obviously. I hated him at the draft because I thought the Eagles were going to take him at 19. I'm cool with him in the second, though I really hope that extremely low ypc last year was simply an aberration.

09-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Trust me Dexter Jackson can absolutely fly. I would know :(

I want Jackson to do well obviously. I hated him at the draft because I thought the Eagles were going to take him at 19. I'm cool with him in the second, though I really hope that extremely low ypc last year was simply an aberration.

As much of a fan of Jackson's as I am I don't see that YPC going up very much from his last year @ Cal in his new role in the slot.

He's still under the radar though for OROY when he really shouldn't. I'm certain he's going to be given as much opportunity to succeed as any other rook and he will be counted on early into the season. His transition to this point has been relatively impressive for a first-year receiver and with all the injuries to the Eagles receiving core Donovan McNabb may just find himself a new favorite target. :)

Bruce Banner
09-05-2008, 09:01 PM

Just hope Dexter Jackson's ST TD wasn't an aberration.

giantsfan
09-06-2008, 01:59 AM
I'm trying to remember if David Carr started from day 1. I'm pretty sure Joey Harrington did.

Yep, both carr and joey were day one starters and colossal failures.

Matthew Jones
09-06-2008, 02:59 AM
Wow, Darren McFadden is starting off as a backup? I thought he'd start for sure. Also, receivers/tight ends is pretty sad.

LonghornsLegend
09-06-2008, 03:31 AM
Dallas will have quite a bit of rookie contribution week 1...Felix Jones and Martellus Bennett will play quite a bit on offense and both are needed with the injuries to the WR's, I expect both to catch quite a few balls and Felix will make something special happen...Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick also look to be playing nearly the whole game, both will be in our Nickel and Dime formations and being without Newman these guys will get some quality snaps.

Should get a good chance to see how these guys look early on, but I like Bennett to be the X-factor and have the biggest impact.

Geo
09-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Are you sure about Jones, LL?

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/09/cowboys-wont-ask-too-much-of-felix-jones.html

jth1331
09-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Man, Broncos are counting on 3 rookies to really make their offense explode.
I think Ryan Clady is going to be a beast of a LT. He will have some struggles this year, as most rookie tackles do, but in all will do very well this year.
Peyton Hillis looked amazing at FB in preseason, I think this kid will become a Pro Bowl FB in the future.
Eddie Royal looks like he could become a very solid #2 WR for the Broncos and be in the mold of Santana Moss and Steve Smith, small guys, but can make most catches. I hated the pick at the time, but this kid has shown a lot of promise and I'm excited to see how he performs.

LonghornsLegend
09-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Are you sure about Jones, LL?

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/09/cowboys-wont-ask-too-much-of-felix-jones.html

Yea I read that, even if he doesn't know the full playbook yet I still think his impact is what will count...He's going to be back returning kicks, play a little slot, his versatility will help out quite a bit, and while he's not getting 20 carries I think with the few plays he runs he makes something happen, and he will be out there quite a bit I'm sure of it...They have been hiding Felix to an extent all pre-season, regardless of what they say about the playbook I think they are ready to unleash him this Sunday, and he will be needed from the slot quite a bit.

Geo
09-06-2008, 10:36 AM
He's going to do some very good things as a receiving option out of the backfield, I think, even if it doesn't happen Week One. I'd like to see Felix do some return work too, but maybe Adam Jones is the Jones who contributes there. If he's active that is, he's too rusty at corner at the moment.

LonghornsLegend
09-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Yea he is, sadly he might face Braylon quite a bit in passing situations and i know for a fact Cleveland will be picking on him just like the Chargers did...Adam Jones has been lobbying for KR duties along with PR, the team really likes Felix back there but due to his role in the offense didn't want to throw him back there...Can't wait to check out our new ST unit though, and if you catch the game watch out for Scandrick, this guy has been playing lights out all camp and he might play better then Jenkins this game.

Hines
09-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Limas Sweed is the Steelers 5th WR. Thats what butterfingers does to you.

Menardo75
09-06-2008, 03:06 PM
No rookies starting for San Fran it looks like Josh Morgan will be the third or fourth WR

Paranoidmoonduck
09-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Wow, Darren McFadden is starting off as a backup? I thought he'd start for sure. Also, receivers/tight ends is pretty sad.

I expect him to get almost as many touches as Fargas per game from the start. But Fargas is definitely the workhorse right now.

SuperMcGee
09-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Roscoe Parrish is out 4-6 weeks with a thumb injury, I'm guessing the same thing that happened to Colston.

This means a big hurt for the Bills, as he just had one of his better games as a receiver and is one of the most dangerous returners in the league, but it also means a lot more time for rookies.

- Leodis McKelvin now should become the primary punt returner.
- James Hardy should be the full-on #3 WR now and play a lot more snaps.
- Steve Johnson also could become active on gamedays now, and could find time rotating in with Justin Jenkins or Fred Jackson in 4- or 5-receiver sets.

themaninblack
09-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Rivers has been our starting WILL since day one and he has been pretty darn good thus far. I think his holdout hurt him a little bit but he has gotten rave reviews. He was pretty much invisible during the Giants game though. He has made plenty of plays in the run game and I'm waiting to see him make a big play while in coverage. We do take him out a lot on third downs which I never really understood. Brandon Johnson has been great though.

Solomon
09-25-2008, 04:12 PM
They might not have as many rookies starting for them as KC or Miami, but considering how good the Broncos offense has been it's nice to see three rookies (Ryan Clady, Peyton Hillis and Eddie Royal) getting significant playing time for them.

LonghornsLegend
09-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Jarod Mayo has been a beast for the Pats, talk about a steal they get landing a top 10 pick, and he looks incredible so far, making an impact alot sooner then I thought he would.

T-RICH49
09-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Brandon Carr and Brandon Flowers are gonna be stars.both held their own against a very good DEN WR core today

d34ng3l021
09-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Matt Ryan: Not playing like a rookie. Will be a top QB in the future.

Sam Baker: Was playing very very well until he got hurt. Has had to sit out 2 halves and a full game. Hope he gets better.

Curtis Lofton: Great run stopper. Needs to get better in passing situations so he can be a 3 down LB.

Harry Douglas: Plays very quick and makes some nice grabs, but is very prone to rookie mistakes such as crucial drops.

bored of education
09-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Flowers, Carr, Johnston, Dorsey, Cottam, Will Franklin, Mike Cox, Branden Albert, Dantrelle Savage and Jamal Charles all got significant time today. Dajuan Morgan, Walden and umm some other clown got time on special teams

CC.SD
09-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Brandon Carr and Brandon Flowers are gonna be stars.both held their own against a very good DEN WR core today

I give massive props to these players also.

Antoine Cason has been playing like a veteran as the NB, although he hasn't had a 4th quarter turnover in two whole games now. Very disappointing.

d34ng3l021
09-28-2008, 10:41 PM
I give massive props to these players also.

Antoine Cason has been playing like a veteran as the NB, although he hasn't had a 4th quarter turnover in two whole games now. Very disappointing.

Cason blows. I cant believe he dropped so much. Its pathetic how much teams value talent over just being able to flat out play football.