PDA

View Full Version : PFW Article Comments from NFL execs -Good Read

BlindSite
09-02-2008, 09:42 PM
The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Full Story: http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Audibles/2008/audibles2309.htm

Notable:

“I don’t think Jason Campbell can play in this league....

Green Bay’s offense has fallen apart without (Brett) Favre...

The Bears’ secondary is questionable. The linebackers are very good. The defensive line is still not very good vs. the run....

If (Panthers rookie ORT) Jeff Otah continues to progress the way he has so far, he will be a Pro Bowler.

here is so much that goes into the development of a player, and more than anything, I would say success is derived from a team’s system, system, system...

All quotes I posted are paraphrased from larger snippets.

None of these are my opinions at all, they're just taken from the article. Good read though, it raises some interesting points about a lot of teams.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Well these scouts, team personnel or whoever they are can watch Jason Campbell light their teams up. Funny how they make judgments like how Green Bay's offense will bomb despite not even seeing them perform yet. Scouts like that are why we have teams like the Lions.

Bruce Banner
09-02-2008, 09:51 PM
GMs like Matt Millen are why we have teams like the Lions.

Fixed......

jackalope
09-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Here is the full quote on Green Bay.

“Green Bay’s offense has fallen apart without (Brett) Favre. What you see now is no aberration. He made the offense look a lot better than it was. The running game looks like it did at the beginning of last year. They don’t have all those running lanes like they did at the end of the year when teams were ganging up to stop Favre. The line is struggling. They have a lot of issues. They don’t have as many big defensive linemen in rotation right now, where if someone goes down, they don’t have the same depth.”

I think the running game's struggles have more to do with injuries than the absence of Favre. I think saying the offense has "fallen apart" is ridiculous at this point.

GB12
09-02-2008, 10:01 PM
That's a crap comment about the Packers offense. It has not fallen apart, I don't know where the hell he gets that from. How can he make that assesment in the preseason anyway. Even if Favre was here it'd look the same because he'd be barely playing. And when the first team played our offense was fine. In the third preseason game which is considered the most important and the one that starters play the most in we put up 27 points and Aaron Rodgers was 18/22, 193 yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs. That doesn't look like it's falling apart to me. I think it's quite obvious that whoever made that comment has not watched the Packers this preseason and is just making an assumption that you'd hear from a crappy ESPN reporter.

The running game looks like it did at the beginning of last year. They don’t have all those running lanes like they did at the end of the year when teams were ganging up to stop Favre.
Or maybe it's because Ryan Grant didn't play. Our running game struggled before Ryan Grant last year, then was good with him, and now was bad in the preseason without him. But no, our run game obviously struggled because Brett Favre wasn't there.:rolleyes:

CC.SD
09-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Preseason just doesn't matter, who cares about any serious opinions based on preseason performances?

Dam8610
09-03-2008, 12:24 AM
serious opinions based on preseason performances?

Those exist? I thought that wasn't possible.

CC.SD
09-03-2008, 01:02 AM
Those exist? I thought that wasn't possible.

Never underestimate crackpot sports media, I guess.

Matthew Jones
09-03-2008, 01:35 AM
I'm surprised everyone is so obsessed with Jason Campbell. Living in Washington, I've gotten to see him more than most probably do, and I don't think he's going to be anything special, really. I mean, statistically he's Tim Couch so far, and he seems more like a caretaker quarterback than anything. He leans heavily on checkdowns and tight ends, and seems almost afraid to throw to Moss, Randle El, or other wide receivers.

He is a well-spoken guy and he seems like a good person, but I'm not sure if that translates to success in the NFL. He was a reach when he was drafted (almost no one but Washington would have made that pick), and he doesn't have an outstanding quality. Mobility? Above average. Intelligence? Seems to be okay. Arm strength? Pretty good. Accuracy? Better than expected. Still, it's not like he has JaMarcus' arm, Jeff Garcia's intangibles, Romo's scrambling ability, or Brady's accuracy. I wouldn't be surprised if he improves but to expect Pro Bowl seasons is unlikely based on what we've seen so far.

Gay Ork Wang
09-03-2008, 10:36 AM
“The Bears’ secondary is questionable. The linebackers are very good. The defensive line is still not very good vs. the run. Tommie Harris has disappeared since he was paid. Lance Briggs, too, for that matter — has he made a tackle in the preseason yet? Their quarterbacks are very, very questionable. The receivers are very questionable. They are good at tight end. The jury is still out with a rookie starting in the backfield. (Matt Forté) has looked good so far. The kicking game is excellent.”

So they base all that from the preseason performance? That Tommie Harris disappeared in preseason and Lance Briggs didnt make plays in Preseason? Nice

Flyboy
09-03-2008, 10:55 AM
“The most physically gifted (offensive) lineman in the draft was (Carl) Nicks. There is no doubt in my mind. If he straightens out, he will be a Pro Bowler as long as he wants to be. And I’ve heard he is moving people for (the Saints) when he lines up with the ones.”

He's going to be starting sooner rather than later.

umphrey
09-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Stupid comments about the Packers. We've passed the ball something like 75% of the time because our QBs need experience. It's gonna look sloppy when the ratio is that lopsided. Also we haven't used our starting running back once and they criticize our running game. Very intelligent.