PDA

View Full Version : Week 1: Baltimore

PalmerToCJ
09-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Flacco with the start, McGahee supposed to start as well but not 100%.

As far as I know, both offensive and defensive units are expected to start as listed on the depth chart. That is with Odom/CJ/TJ being up in the air but I've heard more optimistic news than pessimistic.

I'll admit, if we lose this game... Given our success against Baltimore over the last few years I will just about give up hope on the season. On paper, this is way in our favor.

LonghornsLegend
09-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Flacco with the start, McGahee supposed to start as well but not 100%.

As far as I know, both offensive and defensive units are expected to start as listed on the depth chart. That is with Odom/CJ/TJ being up in the air but I've heard more optimistic news than pessimistic.

I'll admit, if we lose this game... Given our success against Baltimore over the last few years I will just about give up hope on the season. On paper, this is way in our favor.

Just a few questions, sounded like Marvin wants to use Perry as a 3 down back, do you see that likely or will Watson get his fair share of touches? Also will losing O'neal and Brooks really hurt your defense as bad as it seems, or can those guys be easily replaced?

PalmerToCJ
09-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Perry is best in there on 3rd down, he's GREAT as a pass catcher and can block. I'd rather have him out there on 3rd down than 1st. With that said, I see no reason not to put him out there all three. I'd say Perry gets 80% of the snaps.

O'neal lost the nickel spot to David Jones, he had a poor attitude and decent salary. I was perfectly fine with cutting away with him. Ahmad costs us talent but he wasn't the brightest guy and apparently the work ethic wasn't there. He couldn't even make plays against 3rd string offenses in the preseason.

themaninblack
09-02-2008, 10:59 PM
I think Perry is going to get most of the snaps as he should. We need to see as much of him as possible this game and he needs to be utilized in different sets as well.

We better get the ball rolling quick in this one and put them away early. Looks like we'll have Chad, TJ, and Odom back.

hobbes2053
09-03-2008, 12:55 AM

We absolutely have to win this game. Agreed that if we don't, hope might go out the window. That being said, the only way I see us losing this game is if we can't, for some reason, get into some sort of offensive rhythm, via passing game. Not saying that's going to happen, but if something should go wrong with Chad/TJ, it might be a long game offensively.

Perry is best in there on 3rd down, he's GREAT as a pass catcher and can block. I'd rather have him out there on 3rd down than 1st. With that said, I see no reason not to put him out there all three. I'd say Perry gets 80% of the snaps.

O'neal lost the nickel spot to David Jones, he had a poor attitude and decent salary. I was perfectly fine with cutting away with him. Ahmad costs us talent but he wasn't the brightest guy and apparently the work ethic wasn't there. He couldn't even make plays against 3rd string offenses in the preseason.

I feel fairly confident in Perry's ability to carry a bulk of the load. Watson will serve as a good alternative to Perry's style. If we use them correctly, it will beautiful and open up the passing game as well. 80% of the snaps sounds about right for what Perry should get, maybe a little less.

O'Neal always went for the pick and got burnt most of the time for doing so. Frankly, I'm happy he's gone. At the very least it gives our young CBs a chance to prove themselves even more and get that much more experience. Ahmad is a freak athlete, but also about as smart as rock. Yes, we lost immense talent in him, but if he doesn't know what to do with it it doesn't really matter. Though I do wish he could have got it together this preseason and stayed - he would have made our LB core terrifying.

BengalMedic
09-03-2008, 07:26 AM
Well, there are a few things going into this one...

The Ravens are starting a rookie QB, McGahee isn't 100%, Ed Reed is out, their starting CB (Washington) I believe is also out.

The Bengals need to bring a consistent blitz package to Flacco and PRESSURE PRESSURE PRESSURE the youngster. I will be all sorts of holy pissed off if we sit back in some prevent sh*t defense and let Flacco be the second coming of Unitas !!! This is the perfect time for Zimmer to show just HOW aggressive this defense is going to be. Set the tone early and bring the f*cking heat !!!

For the Bengals, it will be nice to see some of the guys on the field in Odom, Chad, and TJ. Here's to hoping their particular injuries don't resurface. In regards to Perry, regardless of what anyones feelings on him are, he should see the majority of the carries through all downs 1-3. You can't let Rudi go, claiming Perry the starter and then give the bulk of the carries to Watson. For one, I'm not a fan of Watson and if that were to happen, I would call BS on the organizations call to reestablish the run this year.

Hopefully the defense will bring some intensity...

I don't know how much we would truly be able to gauge from playing the Ravens, as we should win this game, but I just want to see a consistent effort and people making solid plays.

If we lose this game, they should chalk it up...

hobbes2053
09-03-2008, 11:46 AM
The Bengals need to bring a consistent blitz package to Flacco and PRESSURE PRESSURE PRESSURE the youngster. I will be all sorts of holy pissed off if we sit back in some prevent sh*t defense and let Flacco be the second coming of Unitas !!! This is the perfect time for Zimmer to show just HOW aggressive this defense is going to be. Set the tone early and bring the f*cking heat !!!

I agree 100%. If we can't get in Flacco's face and fluster him, then we have no business being on the field. I'd like to see that intense pass rush we saw at the beginning of the preseason. Our front 7-8 need to be flying around and bringin the wood.

rickscott
09-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Bengals without Jeremi Johnson who has been placed on IR. It will be a tough day for Daniel Coats blocking Bart Scott. Hope he's up to the task.

themaninblack
09-03-2008, 06:10 PM
I have been pretty impressed with Coats though I may be in the majority in that. Hard to replace a guy like Jeremi Johnson, even if he does have a problem putting down the baconators.

hobbes2053
09-03-2008, 11:30 PM
I have been pretty impressed with Coats though I may be in the majority in that. Hard to replace a guy like Jeremi Johnson, even if he does have a problem putting down the baconators.

I fully expect Coats to pick up where J. Johnson left off. He just lacks the experience at FB.

Mmmm baconators.

BengalMedic
09-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Yep, I think Coats is going to have his hands full, but what better way to judge how he's going to be at the position then to get a full dose of the Baltimore defense coming at you ?? This will be a big test for him. I saw we also picked up another FB the Dolphins cut. I don't know the guy, but it seems that if you can't make it on the Miami offense, there's something lacking...

PalmerToCJ
09-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Chinny and Sims are officially out. Caldwell barely practiced and Carson/Chad did full practice.

Odom isn't even listed on the injury report...

Quite the first test for Coats, nice that he got plenty of snaps in the preseason.

hobbes2053
09-04-2008, 02:32 PM
I remain confident going in against the Ravens. If Coats can hold up, which i fully expect him to, then there should be minimal problems, if any. I'm excited to see what Odom as a part of our D-Line. Chinny and Sims will be missed, but I still thing we win handily over Baltimore.

themaninblack
09-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Keith Rivers will make Joe Flacco his *****. Wait, I forgot about Willis McGahee, Ray Rice, and Todd Heap as well.

hobbes2053
09-04-2008, 06:33 PM
They don't matter. Keith River FTW

BengalMedic
09-05-2008, 07:07 AM
I still think this game could go either way and should be close like they usually are with the Ravens, but we "should" win this game given the current situation in Baltimore. Just stating the obvious I suppose...

EdReedUnstoppable
09-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Bengals 31 Ravens 6

themaninblack
09-05-2008, 04:43 PM
really ERU you think its gonna be that bad?

EdReedUnstoppable
09-05-2008, 04:48 PM
really ERU you think its gonna be that bad?

Trust me its gonna be that bad, our offense is gonna make the Redskins performance last night look like the greatest offensive performance in NFL history. Im talkin maybe 3 first downs prior to garbage time, possibly no trips over the 50. Our D will be worn out by the end of the first half, and this one will be over in the first quarter.

Bengalsrocket
09-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Have we confirmed who is playing the slot? I assume its Chatman, but I heard somewhere that Jerome has looked like he might get the nod eventually.

PalmerToCJ
09-05-2008, 08:38 PM
As far as I know it's Chatman (ugh).

I actually somewhat agree with ERU, with us scoring less points. I'm thinking 24-9 or something of that sort. Granted, our offense could EASILY lay an egg. The big thing we've got going for us is how much I would hope Flacco struggles so the defense is going to get worn down. If we give up double digit points (excluding say a garbage time TD), our defense is still garbage.

I'm really interested in seeing what Perry does. This will be a good test.

EDIT: And how many times do the Bengals/Ravens have to have a horrible defense vs. horrible offense game? You'd think after all these years one of us could fix either side of the ball. I guess it's just meant to be.

Ravens1991
09-05-2008, 08:44 PM
I got you guys. Willis will need some time to get ready, and Flacco will be nervous as poop and has not faced a starting defense in the NFL. He is in for a rude awakening. If McGahee looks good and we some how can set up the offense so Flacco only passes 8 times sunday and our defense can stop your O we have a shot.

PalmerToCJ
09-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Injury report...

Out
FB Jeremi Johnson (knee)
DT Pat Sims (toe)
S Chinedum Ndukwe (knee)

Doubtful
WR Antwan Caldwell (toe)

Probable
DE Jonathan Fanene (Illness)
WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh (hamstring)
LB Brandon Johnson (hamstring)
WR Chad Johnson (shoulder)
DE Antwan Odom (foot)
QB Carson Palmer (nose)
DT John Thornton (knee)
HB Kenny Watson (hamstring)

And at least Flacco gets someone easy to break in on... If we don't bring the heat every play I'm going to be VERY angry. Seriously, it's a freakin' rookie QB they better try to get in his face. If Breshnahan called this game they'd lay back. Granted he called a good game in the opener last year.

Ravens1991
09-05-2008, 08:48 PM
quick question, is there anyword if Johnson will have Ocho Cinco on his jersey?

PalmerToCJ
09-05-2008, 08:53 PM
He's listed as Chad Ocho Cinco on the teams website... I'd have to think if the change was made on the team site there's a pretty decent chance his jersey gets changed.

Bengalsrocket
09-05-2008, 10:02 PM
his jersey is in fact changed. it was confirmed on NFL.com.

themaninblack
09-05-2008, 10:14 PM
he will have it on his jersey and they are currently pre selling them on the bengals website.

Ravens1991
09-05-2008, 10:21 PM
I see thanks. It will be interesting to see it on sunday.

StripedWalrus
09-06-2008, 12:06 AM
its all marketability. Smart man...wish he wasnt so crazy though...but that is all marketability too.

EdReedUnstoppable
09-06-2008, 07:12 AM
The only time you guys should be worried about us scoring points is when you punt to Yamon Figurs!!!!! Yamon is friggin insane!

The only way I could see us beating you guys on sunday is...........lets say you get the ball first, you come out go 3 and out, punt to Figurs returned for a TD, then our D gets a TD and shuts down your O. I don't see our O putting any points on the board at all.

BengalMedic
09-06-2008, 09:09 AM
The NFL and the team have already made a statement in regards to recognizing Chad's new last name. That being said, I fully expect Chad to have the Ocho Cinco jersey going tomorrow.

I would be happy if the topic was never brought up even once during the game, but that would be asking entirely to much...

dcarey20
09-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Yamon is friggin insane!

too true...

PalmerToCJ
09-07-2008, 01:25 AM
Less than 12 hours, I'm so freaking pumped.

Ravens1991
09-07-2008, 07:38 AM
I am pumped to, good luck everyone!!! especially the ravens!!!!

themaninblack
09-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Wow, Just over an hour til the game I can't wait anymore!

Bruce Banner
09-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Good luck guys.

themaninblack
09-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Not looking good right now on offense and we're getting lucky on defense. Too many mental mistakes they need to pick this up real quick.

themaninblack
09-07-2008, 01:18 PM
This is getting ugly. Seeing Willie on their sideline in Ravens attire just adds insult to injury at this point.

hobbes2053
09-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Watching the Ravens run out the last 6-7 minutes made me want to vomit. I hate to say it, but bring on Maualuga.

PalmerToCJ
09-07-2008, 05:06 PM
I'll second the Maualaga comment. At lot has to change for us to have any chance.

I mean, the Ravens defense is still good... So this is no slight to them but the offense was just pathetic and the play calling to match it was just as bad. The defense was what we've come to expect.

Just a bad game, didn't surprise me but not what I generally expected. Our playoff chances are about 5% at this point. This team can be just so frustrating.

themaninblack
09-07-2008, 05:36 PM
I thought the D played OK but the offense was just horrendous.

PalmerToCJ
09-07-2008, 05:39 PM
I will say the offense cost us the game but the defense still can't generate pressure. Tackling left much to be desired. I thought the corners did a good job, you can only cover someone for so long.

hobbes2053
09-07-2008, 05:43 PM
I'll second the Maualaga comment. At lot has to change for us to have any chance.

I mean, the Ravens defense is still good... So this is no slight to them but the offense was just pathetic and the play calling to match it was just as bad. The defense was what we've come to expect.

Just a bad game, didn't surprise me but not what I generally expected. Our playoff chances are about 5% at this point. This team can be just so frustrating.

I give the Ravens all the credit in the world, as much as it pains me to do so. Their defense was the same Rex Ryan defense as it always has been (stout). The Ravens offense was surprisingly decent, especially with Flacco. What I can't seem to understand is why we could not stop the run at all to save our life..?

Bratkowski should be slapped or killed or something because today he made us look like a high school team. Maybe the timing had something to do with Palmer/WRs' inability to connect, but he called today's game waaay too conservatively.

EdReedUnstoppable
09-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Im shocked I thought you guys were gonna pound us, and if Heap could catch and Frank Walker wasn't a **** we would have had 31 points. Good luck the rest of the way Bengals fans, see ya later on in the year.

hobbes2053
09-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Good luck to you too ERU. We'll see you again week 13.

PalmerToCJ
09-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Ugh, I would pick the team apart, they're just not worth my time at this point.

I don't think this team has any pride, they just got beat down. I would say I'm done with them, I'll keep watching but I've conceded the season is over. If we make the playoffs you can paint me green and call me Gumby.

Carson looked bad, granted every other play he was on his back... He was just kind of waiting for it to happen again, I can't blame him. The Oline sucked. The Ravens D is good but we've done decent against them before.

This is totally on the offense. I'm not going to completely destroy the defense as they were constantly out there getting the bull run down their throats. This is how a team without a great offense beats you, they stop you quick when you're on offense and wear your defense down when they have the ball.

As TJ so eloquently put it... "The defense played great. The offense sucks."

Any chance the team (mostly Mike Brown) could move to L.A. and we could keep the name but start over with a clean slate?

StripedWalrus
09-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Ugh, I would pick the team apart, they're just not worth my time at this point.

I don't think this team has any pride, they just got beat down. I would say I'm done with them, I'll keep watching but I've conceded the season is over. If we make the playoffs you can paint me green and call me Gumby.

Carson looked bad, granted every other play he was on his back... He was just kind of waiting for it to happen again, I can't blame him. The Oline sucked. The Ravens D is good but we've done decent against them before.

This is totally on the offense. I'm not going to completely destroy the defense as they were constantly out there getting the bull run down their throats. This is how a team without a great offense beats you, they stop you quick when you're on offense and wear your defense down when they have the ball.

As TJ so eloquently put it... "The defense played great. The offense sucks."

Any chance the team (mostly Mike Brown) could move to L.A. and we could keep the name but start over with a clean slate?

If they moved to LA I wouldnt be a fan anymore.

Our Offense has died...why o why....

hobbes2053
09-07-2008, 11:21 PM
I wouldn't cheer for the LA Bengals either. They should stay here but we all need to dispose of Mike Brown and Bratkowski. Why were we so "safe" today offensively. It was like he had forgotten how to call plays. 4th and 1 and he goes up the gut with Perry? WHY? I contribute the offense's failure today solely to the OC.

PalmerToCJ
09-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Exactly, if they were gone to LA then Mike Brown wouldn't be our problem anymore... Granted, that would require another team, sucking more and genuinely I obviously would never want it to happen but hey, it helps me vent. It just sucks, I mean the coaching staff has its problems... As do the players but it all stems from up top. What's up top is going to stay there no matter if our current players/coaches are here or not. It's like there's no end in sight.

What I didn't understand was when they were blitzing they didn't do any quick hit slants... There were a couple of times where the DB's left a good cushion and instead Carson stepped back and got clobbered.

EdReedUnstoppable
09-08-2008, 06:51 AM
I don't wanna start any trouble but let me just say this. I have lost all respect for TJ Houshmandzadeh after that game. After every play he cries to the officials, its just really for lack of a better word.........homosexual. Not tryin to start anything just basically tryin to see if any of you Bengals fans have noticed this.

StripedWalrus
09-08-2008, 09:46 AM
I don't wanna start any trouble but let me just say this. I have lost all respect for TJ Houshmandzadeh after that game. After every play he cries to the officials, its just really for lack of a better word.........homosexual. Not tryin to start anything just basically tryin to see if any of you Bengals fans have noticed this.

Ive noticed things like that in the past from him. He really does go to the officials and says something after every play it seems. Didnt get to see it in this game because I had to listen to it though.