PDA

View Full Version : Am I so wrong?

iBoldin
09-03-2008, 10:11 PM
To think that the Jets are a top 10 defensive unit, are better then the Patriots, Jags, 'Hawks, Bears, etc. units? Or to think that they are a Super Bowl contending team?

I'm a mod at another board, and this complete Jets homer truly believes his team will go to the AFC Championship Game, he is quite possibly the biggest homer I've seen in a long, long time.

I'm not against the Jets, in fact, the Jets are one of my favored teams, my dad being from Jersey and being raised as Jets fan, and I watching many Jets games from back in the days that he had taped. But even though the team has put a good amount of coin into making this team something they weren't coming into the off-season, I just don't see a playoff team yet. I think the Bills definitely have a better chance, and I would peg possibly the whole AFC South ahead of the Jets. I do think they could contend for the playoffs, maybe go 8-8 or 9-7, but is this team really what people are making them out to be?

What are your guys' thoughts?

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-03-2008, 10:48 PM
I won't have time to respond to this until tomorrow, but i will at that time.....just so you know that someone will respond

derza222
09-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Personally I think reality falls somewhere between your two points of view, but closer to yours. Not to say that ther Jets are a lock to make the playoffs, but with an incredibly weak schedule I don't think it's unrealistic to expect them to contend with a wild card spot. Playing the AFC and NFC West, the Dolphins twice, the Bills who they usually split with, the Bengals, and the Titans, and MAYBE splitting with the Pats I'd say realistically they COULD win around 10-11 games if things break the right way. Keep in mind a worse Jets team with a similarly weak schedule made the playoffs as a wild card 2 years ago with a few good breaks. If things go well, they could potentially make the playoffs, though Super Bowl seems out of the question (anything is possible I guess, but this one's a real real long shot).

As far as the defense goes, there are a few holes but if the unit gels quickly and again they avoid injuries they could be in the 8-15 range. 12-20 sounds more realistic to me at the moment though.

MJK
10-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Our Secondary needs a corner and a safety. Next year we may not need the next corner, as Lowery will be in his second year, and am loving what I am seeing from him, but at the moment he is still not quite a solid number 2 (which isn't his fault, he's a rookie, he shouldn't be expected to be that yet). However, another safety is definitely a big need. Smith and Elam both blow. To put it nicely.

Bryan Thomas also has been looking pretty shaky lately... I wish Vernon would step up and show something. Pace has been nasty on the other side, and inside linebacker we are very very good with Harris being very good and Barton being solid for now.

On DL, we need someone other than coleman. He's a rotational guy, not a starter. Jenkins and Ellis are both playing waaaay better than I expected.

Anyways, to answer your point, I think we are around 10, but probably more like 12-13.

Ravens, Titans, Bucs, Panthers, Pitt, Bills, Bears, Vikings, Skins (when healthy), are all teams that are definitely better than us, in no order. Then teams that are arguable are New England, Jags, Chargers (Talent wise they are much better, but they are playing like crap), Eagles.

josh07039
10-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Our defense has the ability to be a solid top 10 D, however, our consistency isn't there yet. With Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, and Shaun Ellis rushing the passer, Kris Jenkins clogging up the middle, Darelle Revis getting better shutting down top receivers, and of course Kerry Rhodes being Kerry Rhodes. Our problem is that our depth at corner is weak, so if our pass rush isn't on its game ,for whatever reason, our secondary is exposed.

Forgot David Harris. He's good. If he's out for a while, uh oh.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
10-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Forgot David Harris. He's good. If he's out for a while, uh oh.

I haven't seen anything about his injury, what is the word you guys are hearing? Anything?

katnip
11-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Yea... Where close to being elite right now to me, this year at least, but. Like someone said. Add a complimentary safety for Rhodes and another good cornerback. In my opinion.

TT Gator
03-10-2009, 03:28 AM
I'd say yes with what they've done during free agency. This topics a little old and no ones posted since then so here we go. The Jets picked up Bart Scott, Lito Sheppard, and Jim Leonhard. Their defence is going to be a handful for any offense next year. Their DBs are first rate Revis and Sheppard will start both former Pro Bowlers. Then you put Leonhard who only got really was unknown till last year but got well deserved props for his play all year beside Kerry Rhodes who is Kerry frickin Rhodes are you kidding me? That's one of the best DB teams in the league. At LB you got Scott and Harris inside who are going to destroy ppl and I believe Scotts going to be the leader of the defense which is something that the Jets really needed last year IMO. You got Pace outside who proved himself last year as a good run stop/coverage/pass rusher. On the other side i'm hoping we'll get to see last years 1st round pick Gholston who never really got much playin time last year and is said to be working wit LT on the transition to OLB with his skills he could be one of the best OLBs in the league and I wouldnt write him off as a bust yet. Then inside at DT you got Jenkins who is a prototype for the 3-4. Ellis we all know how good of a DE he is. He's getting old but he's still got a few years in um and Coleman while he's not going to be breaking any records is still solid every game. I think they def have the best defence in the AFC South sry I really do. The only team in their division that comes close is the Pats and their best players on D are all over 30(Vrabels gone also) If their offense can at least put some points on the board I say theirs a good chance at the playoffs. But we need a #1 WR and if we don't pick up Harvin or DHB in the first round this year you can say buh bye to that. If we get one of them and Clemens or Ratliff or whoevers QB can at least keep his play at decent the Jets got a real chance. I'm not saying their going to win the Super Bowl but based on their D and getting Maclin, Harvin, or DHB I can see them with a playoff birth. Regardless what happens with their offence they have such a good defence going into 2009 they'll be a force to be reckoned with.

thetedginnshow
03-10-2009, 03:33 AM
I think you mean the AFC East, and I'd say we definitely have the best in our division. For now anyway. We'll see what the Pats do in the draft, but even then I'd find it hard to believe that they'd be better. And since we were top 15 last year, I wouldn't think it'd be very hard to be top ten this year, though they're probably shooting for top five. Now if only our offense could keep up...