PDA

View Full Version : Culpepper to retire

Yatta!
09-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Daunte Culpepper will retire with immediate effect per Adam Schefter. Probably the right decision, he wasn't gonna get a starting gig anywhere.

Thoughts?

AlexDown
09-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Still amazes me how fast things changed for him.

MetSox17
09-04-2008, 10:51 AM
I'd still rather have him over backups like Matt Flynn.

Smooth Criminal
09-04-2008, 11:10 AM
He could have had a job if he wanted to be a backup somewhere. Hes not just going to get a starting job after the last couple of years.

Yatta!
09-04-2008, 11:18 AM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/09/04/culpepper-announces-retirement/

Link to the letter that he sent to Schefter.

Twiddler
09-04-2008, 11:18 AM
I'd still rather have him over backups like Matt Flynn.

Well, from what I understand, we did offer him a job as the backup but he turned down the offer. Yep, it was a 1 year $1 million offer and he turned it down. Oh well...

http://www.ocala.com/article/20080622/SPORTS/806220304/1026

CC.SD
09-04-2008, 11:43 AM
He'll always have the Madden QB Challenge world record.

DeathbyStat
09-04-2008, 11:52 AM
He was a thigment of Randy Moss's imigination

Prince 561
09-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Whine some more Culpepper...

The guy thinks that he's somehow automatically entitled to a quarterback job in the NFL. Sorry Daunte, that's not how the world, nor the NFL, works.

JF4
09-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Personally, I can see him unretire mid-season when one team has an injury, has an unproven backup, and is looking for insurance at the position.

09-04-2008, 12:56 PM
I don't think we have seen the last of Mr. Culpepper. Just watch .

Addict
09-04-2008, 01:04 PM

I agree, I wouldn't be overly surprised to see him in a uniform before the season ends.

Flyboy
09-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Oh, Miami.

Thank you so, so much.

09-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Oh, Miami.

Thank you so, so much.

Lol I forgot about that hahaa .

Bruce Banner
09-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Randy, go DEEP!

LonghornsLegend
09-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Ok, so he would rather retire flat out and sit around, versus take 1 million dollars to sit around and hold a clip board? I don't get it, unless his pride is just getting in the way...Although I don't buy he's done, somebody will call and he will come running.

Ravens1991
09-04-2008, 01:40 PM
He is welcome in Baltimore this year. We need a guy who actually has done something in the NFL IDC if it was his weapons or what. Flacco w/ his learning curve will be horrible unless he drastically improves. Smith is very sick and this new guy I never heard of.

Prince 561
09-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Ok, so he would rather retire flat out and sit around, versus take 1 million dollars to sit around and hold a clip board? I don't get it, unless his pride is just getting in the way...Although I don't buy he's done, somebody will call and he will come running.

Sit around and hold a clipboard? There's a bit more to it than that.

draftguru151
09-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Oh, Miami.

Thank you so, so much.

Stop bringing that up. :(

bored of education
09-04-2008, 01:58 PM
YAY! Bye bye

LonghornsLegend
09-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Sit around and hold a clipboard? There's a bit more to it than that.

Uhh yea obviously, the point is he would be standing on the sidelines and not taking punishment, I don't see why he would take no money to sit around at home, versus a million to stand on the sidelines...I actually think he could of started a game or 2 in GB due to injuries to Rogers.

Prince 561
09-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Uhh yea obviously, the point is he would be standing on the sidelines and not taking punishment, I don't see why he would take no money to sit around at home, versus a million to stand on the sidelines...I actually think he could of started a game or 2 in GB due to injuries to Rogers.

The difficult part about being an NFL player isn't Sundays. It's the grind of the season. Whether you're the 3rd stringer quarterback or the starter, you have to put the work in. Being an NFL player is extremely demanding.

Menardo75
09-04-2008, 02:25 PM
I wonder how long this will stay would'nt suprise me if he is back before seasons end if someone gets hurt. Did GB offer him to be Aarons backup?

Crickett
09-04-2008, 02:26 PM
He was a figment of Randy Moss's imigination

I fixed that for you, but.......

Culpepper's best year was without Moss for half the year. And 1/6th of his passing year went to Moss that year IIRC.

TimD
09-04-2008, 02:29 PM

The guy thinks that he's somehow automatically entitled to a quarterback job in the NFL. Sorry Daunte, that's not how the world, nor the NFL, works.

I thought his letter was very well written and intelligent. Sure he seemed disgruntled but he obviously feels that he is an NFL caliber QB still. I wouldn't call it whining at all. My respect for Daunte rose a lot after reading this letter.

Stash
09-04-2008, 02:59 PM
I thought his letter was very well written and intelligent. Sure he seemed disgruntled but he obviously feels that he is an NFL caliber QB still. I wouldn't call it whining at all. My respect for Daunte rose a lot after reading this letter.

Somehow I doubt he wrote that letter. He probably has a public relations person or someone like that to handle this stuff.

Twiddler
09-04-2008, 03:04 PM
I wonder how long this will stay would'nt suprise me if he is back before seasons end if someone gets hurt. Did GB offer him to be Aarons backup?

Yes, it was to be his backup.

KCJ58
09-04-2008, 03:11 PM
not suprised sucks one injury ****** up his entire career

Yatta!
09-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Somehow I doubt he wrote that letter. He probably has a public relations person or someone like that to handle this stuff.

He managed to represent himself so I wouldn't doubt that he wrote the letter.

stephenson86
09-04-2008, 03:42 PM
i would believe he wrote that letter, if it was vince young i wouldnt believe it.

HoF anyone....LMAO cant say that seriously

yo123
09-04-2008, 03:48 PM
He managed to represent himself so I wouldn't doubt that he wrote the letter.

I would doubt it. The guy looks as dumb as a rock.

http://www.kare11.com/assetpool/images/07727143710_culpepper.jpg

Seriously though, when Daunte was on he was a beast. You think Grossman has his ups and downs? Daunte was the most wildly unpredictable QB I've ever watched.

Brent
09-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Who cares? Wasn't like he was going to be relevant again.

BamaFalcon59
09-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Damn he was good. I mean, at one point in time he had like the highest career passer rating.

SMoore
09-04-2008, 04:33 PM

He never said he should automatically get the job. He just wanted a chance to compete. When you've done what he has done in the NFL I can understand him wanting a chance to compete for a job.

Scotty D
09-04-2008, 04:43 PM
What a fall from grace. I remember the big debate between him and Brees with the Saints and Dolphins.

BamaFalcon59
09-04-2008, 04:43 PM
I agree. When players like JT OSullivan get a shot, so should Daunte Culpepper.

Prince 561
09-04-2008, 04:59 PM
He never said he should automatically get the job. He just wanted a chance to compete. When you've done what he has done in the NFL I can understand him wanting a chance to compete for a job.

He was given the chance to compete. The Steelers brought him in for a workout. The Packers offered him a deal. What more did he want?

If a team doesn't want you, you don't get to play in the NFL.

TitleTown088
09-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Excellent, no more roll.

Auf wiedersehen to my least favorite NFL player ever.

sweetness34
09-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Daunte changed when Randy went to Oakland. I've always felt he was overrated and not doing **** after Moss left solidifies that. He had a lot of talent; great size, strong arm, running ability, and decent accuracy but Moss made him the QB he was in Minnesota.

BamaFalcon59
09-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Daunte changed when Randy went to Oakland. I've always felt he was overrated and not doing **** after Moss left solidifies that. He had a lot of talent; great size, strong arm, running ability, and decent accuracy but Moss made him the QB he was in Minnesota.

While Moss no doubt had a huge affect, I still can't discount his 64% career completion percentage, 69% the year Moss was hurt, which was also Culpepper's best year.

SMoore
09-04-2008, 10:42 PM
He was given the chance to compete. The Steelers brought him in for a workout. The Packers offered him a deal. What more did he want?

If a team doesn't want you, you don't get to play in the NFL.

Alright first of all your contradicting yourself by saying he was offered contracts and then saying nobody wanted him.

And second of all he wanted to compete for a STARTING job. As posters in this thread have already stated those are backup jobs that he didnt want. There are a number of teams that look like he could at least challenge for a job. Obviously the only offers he got were as a back up and he had to much pride to sit on the bench.

Prince 561
09-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Alright first of all your contradicting yourself by saying he was offered contracts and then saying nobody wanted him.

And second of all he wanted to compete for a STARTING job. As posters in this thread have already stated those are backup jobs that he didnt want. There are a number of teams that look like he could at least challenge for a job. Obviously the only offers he got were as a back up and he had to much pride to sit on the bench.

He WAS offered a contract, turned it down, then realized he's not going to start and tried to get a contract as a backup.

So he wants to be a starter but he isn't good enough...how exactly was he wronged in any way and what does he have to complain about?

Flyboy
09-05-2008, 09:35 AM
What a fall from grace. I remember the big debate between him and Brees with the Saints and Dolphins.

Wasn't much of a debate...

CJSchneider
09-05-2008, 09:41 AM

I'm glad we got that one right!

MetSox17
09-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Wasn't much of a debate...

Well on the 'Phins side i think it was. Didn't they decide to not bring Brees in because they thought Pep was better at the time?

Flyboy
09-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Well on the 'Phins side i think it was. Didn't they decide to not bring Brees in because they thought Pep was better at the time?

It was all in Miami's hands. Brees wanted to go to Miami more so than come to New Orleans, went to Miami and "failed" their physical. They were more worried about Brees' injury to his throwing arm/shoulder and felt that Culpepper's injury wasn't as bad because it was just his knee. The Saints never wanted Culpepper. Had we had not been able to land Brees, we were going to draft Matt Leinart at the #2 spot. But, when Brees wasn't signed by Miami he came to New Orleans, passed his physical and was signed.

PackerLegend
09-05-2008, 04:48 PM
How are things rolling on now you piece of **** ahahah. Ok really use your head dumb **** a starting gig wouldn't be handed to a QB like yourself with what you have recently done. You should accept a backup job or hope someone gets hurt and maybe you will get another chance. It was funny reading the paper and Culpepper was crying how teams wouldn't give him a shot at starting... o and if you had an agent and didnt represent yourself that might help.

09-05-2008, 05:05 PM
It's a joke knowing guys like O'Sullivan, Orton, Croyle, etc still have startings gigs and little to no competition while a former pro bowl calibur QB who's far from finished imo is left out in the cold in all of this.

Bengalsrocket
09-05-2008, 06:28 PM
It's a joke knowing guys like O'Sullivan, Orton, Croyle, etc still have startings gigs and little to no competition while a former pro bowl calibur QB who's far from finished imo is left out in the cold in all of this.

If you don't ever try your younger talent you'll never figure out if they're the answer. GB let Favre leave not because they think Aaron Rodgers is the better QB right now, but because they think in the future he's the guy who's going to win them some championships (and his contract was about to run out).

Culpepper proved in the last couple of years he either needed a healthy knee or a better team to be a pro-bowl QB, and I don't think the 9'ers, bears or chiefs can offer him that.

d34ng3l021
09-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Cant believe Brees went into FA in his prime. A top 5 QB in his prime doing that? Dang.

Flyboy
09-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Cant believe Brees went into FA in his prime. A top 5 QB in his prime doing that? Dang.

In SD's defense, his injury was pretty bad.

Bucs_Rule
09-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Your not entitled to get a shot to compete for a starting gig because of what you did in the past. In the case of Culpepper it is the distant past, he hasn't looked good since Moss left Minny. In the season he hurt his knee he was turnover machine.

He was mediocre last season in Oakland, better than a few starters but definitly below average and with his age nothing for the future. Orton looked really bad his rookie season, but very few rookie QBs look good. Croyle also really struggle and that is normal. O'Sullivan knows Martz system and Martz is comfortable with him from his time in Detroit. Culpepper is just a stop-gap QB.

A big problem with Daunte is his attitude. If he loses the competition for a starting role I'd be very worried about how he will handle being the backup role. In his letter he said he'd be willing to be a backup but turned down the offer in GB and than in Pittsburgh.

Whenever their is a free-agent their will always be a bunch of teams with weaker players at that position who just don't express interest. Drew Brees had very little interest despite being one of the few great young QBs to ever hit the open market. Personnally if I needed a QB I'd much rather trade for Chris Simms.

Bruce Banner
09-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Personnally if I needed a QB I'd much rather HAVE trade for Chris Simms.

He was released. Just an FYI.

LonghornsLegend
09-05-2008, 07:47 PM
It was all in Miami's hands. Brees wanted to go to Miami more so than come to New Orleans, went to Miami and "failed" their physical. They were more worried about Brees' injury to his throwing arm/shoulder and felt that Culpepper's injury wasn't as bad because it was just his knee. The Saints never wanted Culpepper. Had we had not been able to land Brees, we were going to draft Matt Leinart at the #2 spot. But, when Brees wasn't signed by Miami he came to New Orleans, passed his physical and was signed.

I remember that timeline, talk about a few moves having huge implications on everything, I wonder how things would of been now had the Saints took Leinart and Brees was in Miami, one big huge domino effect on alot of other teams...I do remember you guys being high on Leinart and being the front runners to land him.

SMoore
09-05-2008, 08:45 PM
He WAS offered a contract, turned it down, then realized he's not going to start and tried to get a contract as a backup.

So he wants to be a starter but he isn't good enough...how exactly was he wronged in any way and what does he have to complain about?

Alright, that timeline is so off. He was offered a contract as a backup in Pitt and GB. He never wanted a contract as a backup. He wanted to go compete for a starting job. My point is with some of the QBs starting in this league, there is no reason Culpepper shouldn't get a chance, with his talent level, to compete for a starting job. Do I think he would be succesful? No. But if Kyle Orton was my starting QB would I give him a look? Yes.

snobdmat
09-06-2008, 02:38 PM

duh! look at favre..everyone thought that he was done and 2 weeks later he wanted to come back. Minnesota should take him back