PDA

View Full Version : < Xio's 2008 NFL Prediction Ramblings >

Xiomera
09-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Take these predictions for what they are worth . . .

NFC
North -
1. Green Bay :: 11-5
2. Detroit :: 8-8
3. Minnesota :: 8-8
4. Chicago :: 7-9

East -
1. Dallas :: 11-5
2. Philadelphia :: 10-6
3. Washington :: 8-8
4. New York G. :: 7-9

West -
1. Arizona :: 10-6
2. Seattle :: 9-7
3. San Francisco :: 6-10
4. St. Louis :: 5-11

South -
1. New Orleans :: 11-5
2. Carolina :: 9-7
3. Tampa Bay :: 9-7
4. Atlanta :: 2-14

AFC
North -
1. Pittsburgh :: 11-5
2. Cleveland :: 8-8
3. Baltimore :: 5-11
4. Cincinnati :: 4-12

East -
1. New England :: 12-4
2. New York J. :: 10-6
3. Buffalo :: 8-8
4. Miami :: 4-12

West -
1. San Diego :: 10-6
2. Denver :: 8-8
3. Oakland :: 4-12
4. Kansas City :: 3-13

South -
1. Jacksonville :: 13-3
2. Indianapolis :: 10-6
3. Houston :: 9-7
4. Tennessee :: 6-10

Super Bowl Prediction
Jacksonville over Dallas

Super Bowl MVP
David Garrard, Jaguars

Offensive MVP
Drew Brees, Saints

Defensive MVP
Demarcus Ware, Cowboys

Offensive Rookie of the Year
DeSean Jackson, Eagles

Defensive Rookie of the Year
Leodis McKelvin, Bills

Comeback Player of the Year
Jake Delhomme, Panthers

Sophomore Players of the Year (Non-Rookies)
Offense - Calvin Johnson, Lions
Defense - Gaines Adams, Buccaneers

Best Offseason Acquisition (Via Trade)
Offense - Brett Favre, Jets
Defense - Jonathan Vilma, Saints

Worst Offseason Free Agent Signings (in terms of dollars spent and production)
Offense - Michael Turner, Falcons
Defense - Asante Samuel, Eagles

Number of coaching changes before the Super Bowl
Three (Marvin Lewis - Bengals, Lane Kiffin - Raiders, Mike Nolan - 49ers)

Leading NFL Rusher
Ryan Grant (1648 yards)

Fantasy Football Surprises
Quarterback - David Garrard (top 8 QB)
Running Back - Chris Perry (1,500 total yards, 9 TD)
Wide Receiver - Jerricho Cotchery (1,100 yards, 8 TD)

Fantasy Football Rookie of the Year
Darren McFadden, Raiders

Fantasy Football Busts (relative to where they are being drafted)
Quarterback - Peyton Manning (just the 6th best Fantasy QB this year after a rough start to the season)
Running Back - Adrian Peterson (1250 yards total yards, 8 TD's and 3 games missed due to injury)
Wide Receiver - Chad Johnson (add a zero to this man's new last name and that will be his receiving yardage, plus just six endzone celebrations)

First Pick in the '09 NFL Draft belongs to . . .
Atlanta Falcons, followed by Kansas City, Oakland, Miami, and Cincinnati to round out the top five

Tom Brady's TD Pass Total

NFL Coach of the Year
Jack Del Rio, Jaguars

Number of Times John Madden says 'Brett Favre' on Sunday Night Football
4,316 (playoffs excluded)

Aforementioned Record Prediction
8-8 -- I have steadily raised my projected win total over the past month. I am cautiously optimistic rather than cynical about their chances this season. I look at the NFC North and I see four teams that are pretty evenly grouped, IMO. The Lions might have less overall talent than the other teams, but they have what appears to be an impressive collection of rookies and surprisingly to some people, they also have the best Quarterback among the Black and Blue division teams in Kitna. That will count for quite a bit I think.

Statistical Predictions
Jon Kitna - 4,150 yards passing, 22 TD, 15 INT
Kevin Smith - 850 yards, 5 TD
Rudi Johnson - 500 yards, 3 TD
Roy Williams - 1,300 yards, 8 TD
Calvin Johnson - 1,100 yards, 8 TD
Dewayne White - 12.5 sacks
Leigh Bodden / Brian Kelly - 4 INT each

Pro Bowlers
Roy Williams, Ernie Sims (finally), Dewayne White

Number of time Marinelli is quoted as saying "We have to take things one game at a time."

Rushing Yards by Tatum "I ain't no thief" Bell
Zero

Chances that I am completely off-base with my Lions optimism
64%

Enjoy the season!

RaiderNation
09-04-2008, 05:27 PM
4-12 :( wish thats false

TimD
09-04-2008, 05:28 PM
YAY! Jets 10-6. Hip Hip Horrayy

BeerBaron
09-04-2008, 05:29 PM
NO! The Lions are doing better than the Bears!! Thats all I have to look forward to this year is hoping we at least finish better than the Lions!!

yo123
09-04-2008, 05:34 PM
4-12 :( wish thats false

You're my sleeper AFC pick. I'd put you at 8-8.

Props on thinking outside the box Xio, I don't agree with some things, but a well thought out post.

I dont agree with GB winning the division by 3 games, they could very well win it but I see it being closer than that. I see it as a toss-up between Minny and GB.

I think Pitt is going to have a hard time winning 11 games with their ridiculous schedule, I still have them winning the division but with 9 wins.

I like the Arizona pick in the NFC West. I've slowly been swayed on them, mostly because Seattle is absolutely nothing special, but also because Kurt Warner can still play and they have a pretty underrated defense.

I'm not quite as down on the Giants. I think Eli, while not as good as his playoff performance, will benefit greatly from his newfound confidence and I see them battling for a wild card spot.

neko4
09-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Wow, someone made a good truths thread!
I agree with yo123, the NFC division race will be closer, but we'll win in the end.
I think towards the end of the year, Kevin Smith will become a bright spot for Detroit, although I think they will finish last.
I cant see J-Ville winning the division by 3 games. I think it will be a bit closer

Xiomera
09-04-2008, 06:16 PM
NO! The Lions are doing better than the Bears!! Thats all I have to look forward to this year is hoping we at least finish better than the Lions!!

I see the NFC North being ridiculously chaotic. All the teams are very close, IMO. I see Green bay and Minnesota as two teams that are as good as it gets all around, with one exception -- Quarterback. I'd rather have Rodgers than Jackson, however, so Green Bay gets the edge. I initially had the Packers at 10 wins, and 11 wins may in fact be too many. It's no secret that I am a closet-Packers fan. I see Chicago and Detroit as very inconsistant but competitive teams. Perhaps I am too optimistic about my Lions, but I really think they will do well within the division since they have the best QB in Kitna, and a much improved secondary.

Bottom Line: I could easily see the entire division finishing 3 games or less apart.

SuperMcGee
09-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Prediction: Leodis McKelvin will be nowhere close to being the DROY

Xiomera
09-04-2008, 06:22 PM
You're my sleeper AFC pick. I'd put you at 8-8.

Props on thinking outside the box Xio, I don't agree with some things, but a well thought out post.

I dont agree with GB winning the division by 3 games, they could very well win it but I see it being closer than that. I see it as a toss-up between Minny and GB.

I think Pitt is going to have a hard time winning 11 games with their ridiculous schedule, I still have them winning the division but with 9 wins.

I like the Arizona pick in the NFC West. I've slowly been swayed on them, mostly because Seattle is absolutely nothing special, but also because Kurt Warner can still play and they have a pretty underrated defense.

I'm not quite as down on the Giants. I think Eli, while not as good as his playoff performance, will benefit greatly from his newfound confidence and I see them battling for a wild card spot.

See my above post for a response to your Packers comment.

Regarding the Steelers, I didn't look too much at Stength of Schedule. They play in what I view as one of the weaker divisions in the league so I think 6 of those wins can easily come from within the division.

As for the Giants, yes, this is perhaps my boldest prediction, but I just don't think their defense will be very good. I'm thinking in the bottom third of the league after all they've lost. The offense will likely improve over last year, but it won't be enough to win more than half their games in such a tough division and with a Championship target on their backs.

Xiomera
09-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Prediction: Leodis McKelvin will be nowhere close to being the DROY

I was really grasping at straws on this prediction. I am not enamored by any defensive rookie really. I think McKelvin will make an impact as a KR though. Maybe I am uninformed about the Bills though, haha.

BeerBaron
09-04-2008, 06:25 PM
I was really grasping at straws on this prediction. I am not enamored by any defensive rookie really. I think McKelvin will make an impact as a KR though. Maybe I am uninformed about the Bills though, haha.

Can never go wrong picking a rookie LB who will be starting. Seems to be the case 9/10 of the time

princefielder28
09-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Ryan Grant Leading Rusher???

Xiomera
09-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Can never go wrong picking a rookie LB who will be starting. Seems to be the case 9/10 of the time

Jordon Dizon! . . . oh wait, he isn't starting http://draftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif

Xiomera
09-04-2008, 06:30 PM

Crazy? Probably . . . but I do think he'll be great again, and that the Packers will rely heavily on the run game while Rodgers struggles his way through the first few weeks. Grant is legit.

BeerBaron
09-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Jordon Dizon! . . . oh wait, he isn't starting http://draftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif

haha...and i remember all the lions fans on draft day saying how he was a perfect choice for the middle of their defense.

should have went with Conner.....!

"he doesn't fit, he doesn't fit" bull. Guy is smart and makes the tackles. Perfect MLB right there, lol

TitleTown088
09-04-2008, 06:33 PM

I severely doubt that will happen.

Xiomera
09-04-2008, 06:34 PM
haha...and i remember all the lions fans on draft day saying how he was a perfect choice for the middle of their defense.

should have went with Conner.....!

"he doesn't fit, he doesn't fit" bull. Guy is smart and makes the tackles. Perfect MLB right there, lol

Ehh, I don't remember many Dizon supporters back in April. I sure as hell was against the pick, haha.

Xiomera
09-04-2008, 06:35 PM
I severely doubt that will happen.

Picking LT was boring. It's all about being BOLD.

princefielder28
09-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Picking LT was boring. It's all about being BOLD.

big difference between bold and stupid :)

BeerBaron
09-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Ehh, I don't remember many Dizon supporters back in April. I sure as hell was against the pick, haha.

i think people 'bandwagon-ed' the pick afterwards saying how he was going to be great as a cover 2 mlb and such.

Xiomera
09-04-2008, 06:59 PM
big difference between bold and stupid :)

Why so down on Grant? In this day and age of the NFL, we won't see many RB's rushing for big totals very often. I'm not predicting any more than about 1,300 yards for Grant. Most teams employ a 2 RB system, so I doubt we'll see anyone rush for 1,800+ yards like guys were doing every year not too long ago.

princefielder28
09-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Why so down on Grant? In this day and age of the NFL, we won't see many RB's rushing for big totals very often. I'm not predicting any more than about 1,300 yards for Grant. Most teams employ a 2 RB system, so I doubt we'll see anyone rush for 1,800+ yards like guys were doing every year not too long ago.

His health, our interior line, and Rodgers at QB

Xiomera
09-04-2008, 07:03 PM
His health, our interior line, and Rodgers at QB

Rodgers at QB leads me to believe he will get a ton of carries, at least initially. The offensive line is the same as last year and he did pretty good then, didn't he? And am I unaware of an injury? I didn't do my research I guess . . .

princefielder28
09-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Rodgers at QB leads me to believe he will get a ton of carries, at least initially. The offensive line is the same as last year and he did pretty good then, didn't he? And am I unaware of an injury? I didn't do my research I guess . . .

Scott Wells is hurt right now so they have moved around some players, and with Rodgers at QB, instead of Favre, opposing defenses will put more players in the box to stop the run, and force Rodgers to beat them.

CC.SD
09-04-2008, 07:33 PM
For discussion's sake, who are the 6 teams you have beating the Chargers?

Your choices are

Raiders
Chiefs
Broncos
New Orleans
Colts
Patriots
Carolina
NYJ
Pitt
Tampa
Atlanta
Buffalo
Miami

Xiomera
09-04-2008, 07:56 PM
For discussion's sake, who are the 6 teams you have beating the Chargers?

Your choices are

Raiders
Chiefs
Broncos (on the road)
New Orleans
Colts
Patriots
Carolina
NYJ
Pitt
Tampa
Atlanta
Buffalo
Miami

Those 6 look good to me. They could lose more after looking at that list. You seem to think 6 losses is too many . . . hmm

JT Jag
09-05-2008, 11:58 PM
Xio: Love the Jags optimism. Big hug!

Xiomera
09-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Xio: Love the Jags optimism. Big hug!

Maybe I am crazy, but I am waiting for this team to have its breakthrough year. I am high on Garrard and your RB's, and the pass rush should be much improved.

Breaker
09-06-2008, 10:26 AM
South -
1. Jacksonville :: 13-3
2. Indianapolis :: 10-6
3. Houston :: 9-7
4. Tennessee :: 6-10

I know my rep don't mean much(cause my rep power is teh suckage) but I'm going to rep you for that anyways.

Good record prediction, there three team that I think that you underestimated/overestimated, but overall it looks pretty likely.

Xiomera
09-06-2008, 10:31 AM
I know my rep don't mean much(cause my rep power is teh suckage) but I'm going to rep you for that anyways.

Good record prediction, there three team that I think that you underestimated/overestimated, but overall it looks pretty likely.

Thanks

Even I think I made some mistakes on where I ranked a couple teams now. I did most of this on a whim.