PDA

View Full Version : 09 Skins Offseason

DiG
09-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Never too early on a draft forum right? It's obviously early on the season but heres my breakdown based off of how I think this year will go.

Offensive Breakdown:

QB - Campbell may or may not be the future of this offense but Colt is waiting in the wings for his chance. Campbell is going to be given every opportunity this year to prove himself and where I do think that he has all the physical tools I am not sure he is right for the WCO. He needs to continue to work on a quicker release and I would love to see more emotion from him. At this point I'd say its 50/50 that Jason turns out to be our man but if he doesn't, I'm excited to see Colt down the road if it turns to that. I think he was born for the WCO and a year or two with Zorn could do wonders. Either way I don't think we need to address QB after this year except for a #3 once Todd retires.

RB - I love me some Clinton Portis. He is an absolute work horse and the best blocking running back in the NFL. I'm not a fan of Betts one hit wonder season that he had when Portis went down and I wish we had traded him when we had the chance but he is a decent backup and we have him for another 3-4 years.

TE - Cooley and now Fred Davis. Not much to say here.

WR - I could write a book here. Moss to me isn't a WCO receiver and I think our coaches new that this year when we drafted Thomas and Kelly in rd 2. I am a big Thomas fan and I think he could fair well this year as he gets more accustomed to the offense. With Kelly missing most of the year with his knee injury, Thomas should get plenty of opportunity to shine and he needs to be our future. I actually think that El has a better chance of finding his place in this offense than Moss does and could end the season with more catches than Moss. With all that in mind I don't foresee much action next offseason at the WR position. We now have youth in Thomas and Kelly to build on and vets in Moss and El. If Thomas proves me right and begins next year as our #1 then I'm comfortable with that set up.

OLine - This should be one of our biggest needs next offseason. Jansen already lost his starting job to Heyer who the skins seem to like. They are working Jansen at guard and center and we can't really afford to cut him with his cap hit but its a matter of time if you ask me. Thomas and Kendall are nearing the end of their careers but I do really like Rhinehart to replace Kendall at RG. Thomas should still have another 2 years as a reliable starter. I think what we will look for next offseason is another guy similar to Rhinehart who can swing at both OT and OG. Most likely we will start Heyer, Thomas, Rabach, Rhinehart, and Samuels next year but if any of them were to go down we absolutely need a fresh face to groom and play as depth at both OT and OG.

Defensive Breakdown

DLine - I'm not as worried about the DLine as many would think. I think Carter has really found his place on this defense and should have a very successful year. I anticipate 12-13 sacks from him by year end. I'm hoping Taylor can prove his worth and I think we should see him around again next year. Chris Wilson is a guy no one talks about that I think will be our replacement for Taylor. Last year, in his first season, he had 4 sacks and last night he made a nice move on someone and got a quality sack on Eli. Also, the coaching staff seems impressed by Erasmus James recovery and I think they will continue to give him a chance to prove himself through this year and hope for him to be a rotational guy down the road. On the inside we've got two young big boys in Gholston and Montgomery to go along with Cornelius Griffin. I could see the Skins toying with the idea of bringing in a young penetrating style DT and I wouldn't argue with that.

LB - LFB is the freaking man but he won't be around forever which is a good thing that I am a fan of Blades. I think our need at LB is on the outside more than the inside. I'm impressed with McIntosh recovery from injury last year and he looked decent in the opener. I don't see why he wouldn't have 90-100 tackles this year. Marcus Washington still has another 2-3 years in him but I'm not sure how much longer he will be a suitable starter and the depth behind those two guys is nonexistent. I definitely want to address LBer next year and preferably a guy who fits more of the strong side role.

CB - Bottom line: Springs is 32. Rogers is at best a #2 with bricks as hands. Smoot is a nickle/dime back for the remainder of his career. We have no one else on the roster at cb that is worth talking about.

S - Landry = pimp. With Reed, Horton, and Moore all under the age of 25 and fighting for playing time I don't really see the coaches looking to address safety at this point in time. I'd be surprised if one of those 3 didn't step it up by season end and earn the starting spot permanently.

Sooooo with that in mind here are some quick offseason ideas with the assumption that we finish the year around 8-8 and pick in the 13-16 range.

DRAFT

Round 1: Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State - I will be all over the Jenkins bandwagon for the entire season. I think he fits our defense perfectly and gives us the much needed boost in the secondary. I'd love Vontae as well but I don't foresee him being on the board for us when we pick. If we end up with a top 7 or 8 pick then I'd love to go after Vontae but in the mid teens I think that Jenkins should absolutely be our guy.

Round 3: Jamon Meredith, OT, South Carolina - Meredith is a big strong guy who is athletic enough that he could swing to guard if we needed him to. He comes from a program where I think his experiences in college could fair well in the WCO. He could easily be a second rounder come next year but I think right now hes probably slated as a late second to mid third type of guy.

Round 4: Vance Walker, DT, Georgia Tech - Another guy that could go earlier and if we took him in Round 3 I wouldn't argue but he very well could be available in the 4th too. A fast penetrating style DT that could take over Griffins spot down the road.

Round 5: Brett Helms, C, LSU - Rabach is decent but I'm not in love with him anymore at center and just like most of our starters he is on the wrong side of 30.

FA:

Karlos Dansby, UFA, Arizona Cardinals - Young, talented, consistent outside linebacker who can come in right away and start.

toddmlazarchick
09-05-2008, 11:29 AM
great breakdown!

I am going out on a limb and going to say Campbell is not the franchise QB we need. Ive supported him for so long but last night he looked like he regressed so much. Its not a matter getting fitted in an offense, its the fact that he cant read defenses, he locks onto WRs, he shows no emotional leadership, he plays scared.

This draft/offseason should be D oriented. Our CBs need a make over. Landry is a pure beast. I hope Moore can take over Reed's spot. Jenkins is an amazing pick. I think him or Davis need to be our first round pick. After that it should be all OL, LB and DL. Im so unimpressed by our CBs that I would blow up what we have now and make a push to make them elite. Id draft Davis or Jenkins and still go after Asomugha in the offseason. Springs is too old. Move him to S would fit us better. Rogers is just not doing it. He makes ONE of those picks last night and it changes the game. Smoot is at best a nickel. I love the guy but he was abused all night long. Asomugha, Jenkins, Springs/Moore and Landry with Rogers in the nickle and Smoot at the dime would give us a GREAT secondary. Also we need a FA LB too. Dansby would be a good pickup!

HChu
09-05-2008, 09:17 PM
If the playcalling keeps up from last night, I don't know if I can take another year or two of Zorn.

But I still believe in Campbell a lot more than Colt now and years from now, sure Colt was a nice story in preseason and he's so darn likeable I just don't see him as the future quarterback of any team. And I've said from the start that I am not a Malcolm Kelly fan at all, but hopefully he can make me a believer. I do think our most pressing issue is in the trenches, our offensive line looked awful last night and our d-line put good pressure on but could not stop the Giants run. Our second biggest concern should be the secondary; Springs is probably gone in a year or two, Smoot just looked dreadful, and I've never been high on Carlos and he proved me right again last night. Though Landry is arguably the best player on this team they need to let him loose more he should be used more like a Sean Taylor.

As with the free agency situation, I don't see Dansby coming in cheap and with the cap situation we always seem to find ourselves in it will be hard to get the impact player this team needs. I really think as long as Snyder is owning this team we'll never get any type of consistency going with a team and he'll only bring in the flashy guys for the team rather than team-oriented players who actually fit what the team needs and he'll only bring in coaches he knows he can manipulate to do things the way he and Vinny want (don't even get me started on Cerrato).

But hopefully I'm wrong about everything stated above, but anyway that looks like a solid draft for us.

brat316
09-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Moss has a perfect role in WCO, he would be great in slot, but you just need to get a WR on the outside that gets double teamed. El can be that WR on the outside, if he prefects his route running then, it would help by lining up in 3 WR sets. Moss can always then work out of the Slot, he won't be effect IMO on the outside as a small fast WR in WCO.

scottyboy
09-05-2008, 09:40 PM
I don't know what to say about Campbell. I really like him and I think he's got tons of talent and potential. You guys need to give him more help, especially on the OL. You've got some good RB guys(especially Portis, he's nasty) and the young recievers you brought in this years draft. Having like a million OC's in his college and NFL career DOES affect you, I don't care what people say

toddmlazarchick
09-06-2008, 12:29 AM
Campbell has regressed no 2 ways about it. He hasn't looked as decent as last year he looks worse. Unless he really shows something the first half of the season i think his days should be numbered

treyskins
09-06-2008, 05:30 AM
This is not the year to start re-building,we are up against it cap wise(springs/portis/jansen/griffin/moss/washington all counting for a chunk of change) AND little in the way of draft picks(1st/3rd/5th/6th).

Trouble is, i dont think Zorn has got what he needs for his w.c.o.-campbell/moss/cooley(they kept him for blocking??).

I would prefer a lineman taken first, either a Tackle or Def.Tackle(griffs replacement) or Def End(daniels replacement=move jason taylor around more).
Springs will be too expensive to cut and replace with a vet or rookie.
Sadly i think the skins are heading for a top 10 pick which SHOULD mean taking best player available or making a blockbuster trade down.

toddmlazarchick
09-08-2008, 12:12 AM
I would be all for trading down. Just like last season. I also wouldn't be against trading Moss and/or Randle El. Call me crazy but aside from Kelly and Thomas who have shown nothing yet, I don't like our WRs at all. I love Moss for his miracle season in 05 but realistically he is not a #1 WR. He would be more suited as a #2 or #3. Same with Randle El. I would be all for trading back further down in the first and taking BPA. Even if it is someone like DHB. I like him very much and he has the speed near Santana plus height. I dont think we will take him though but if we don't trade down then I want that pick to be Vontae Davis. He is exactly what we need. He is has the ability to be a shutdown corner. Springs is too old and always banged up. Moving him to S would be the best option. Also we need LB DT and OL as well.

Canadian_draft_fan
10-09-2008, 03:24 PM
I think what will shape our 2009 off-season is the decision to keep/cut 4 players.
1. Pete Kendall - his contract is up and he is 35. Rinehart can probably take his spot
2. Marcus Washington - he is over 30, expensive, always nicked and a shadow of his 2004/05 self.
3. Shawn Springs - he is still effective when he plays but he has similar issues to Marcus.
4. Cornelius Griffin - clearly slowing down but does have his moments. Similar to Springs & Washington.

Iím not sure if Jason Taylor will come back for the last year of his contract but Iíll assume he does and the Skins get rid of all 4 of the above. Therefore I see our needs (in no particular order) as DT, OLB, CB, Oline depth. Iím not sure what our cap situation would be like but I donít think we can satisfy all our needs in the draft, we will need to sign 1 FA.

If I were GM of the Skins this is what I would do:
FA - sign OLB Karlos Dansby (Arizona)
Other options - Angelo Crowell (Buffalo), Channing Crowder (Miami)
I think we can sign Dansby to a contract similar to what Briggs got from Chicago. I prefer Dansby because he is younger than Crowell (Crowell was also IRíed this year) and a better fit than Crowder who has been an ILB in a 3-4 scheme.

We could go after one of the FA corners this year. Asomugha is going get Clements like coin that we canít afford but maybe Chris Gamble (Carolina) or Bryant McFadden (Pitt) might be a more reasonable option. Iíll stick with just OLB for now.

Draft:
Trade down from #28 to #46 (for example) and pick up an extra 3rd and a 6th. My first 3 picks would look something like the following:

1st pick (R2) - Evander Hood DT Missouri (6-4, 295#) a hard worker with good measurables.

2nd pick (R3) - Brandon Underwood CB Cincinnati (6-1, 190#, 4.4 40) a boom/bust pick. Has good size and measurables but a little like Devin Thomas as a one year wonder.

3rd pick (R3) - best LT available - Samuels has performed at a high level but he is getting older so itís time to groom a replacement for a couple of years.

4th pick (R5) - best KR/PR available - either a WR or CB that will primarily be used as a KR/PR (a la Devin Hester). Rock has been decent on KR but our PR has been poor. I would love to get Brandon Tate from North Carolina but I doubt he lasts until round 5.

5th pick (R6) - interior Oline depth.

6th pick (R6) - a big bruiser RB for short yardage and late game pound the ball drives.

toddmlazarchick
11-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Of the 4 FA's that you mentioned I would resign Marcus Washington. He would be a great asset for depth. He has lost a step but he is a huge locker room presence and we are winning now with him. He would have to take a pay cut as well. Springs would be gone. He is still great when healthy but the key word is "when". IF he would take a pay cut I would keep him because he could be depth at CB and S. Kendall would be gone if it was up to me. Rinehart would be a great replacement and we still have Devin Clark and Kerry Brown for young depth. I have a great feeling about Brown. I would bring back Griff. If he was used in a rotation he would be healthier more and be a better asset.

As far as FA's that are gonna hit the market there is only one name I would go after and go after HARD. Nnamdi Asomough. Sign him up and call it a day. Thats all the FA spending I would do. Unless there is some small priced FA we can get that would help our team.

In the draft I would try to trade back once again like this year to get some of those picks back. If we stay where we are I would go with the best OLB/DE/OL available in the first round.

DE: Greg Hardy - Ole Miss, Brian Orakpo - Texas, George Selvie - South Florida, Tyson Jackson - LSU
OLB: Brian Cushing - USC, Aaron Curry - Wake Forest
OL: Phil Loadholt - Oklahoma, Duke Robinson - Oklahoma, Jamon Meredith - South Carolina

In round 3 id go for the best DE/DT/OL/OLB around which wasn't taken in round one.

By the end of the day we need an OLB, DE, DT, and OL depth

treyskins
11-06-2008, 01:55 PM
1)Kendall-i think he is having a great year,if he stays healthy i would bring him back on a 2 year deal at a decent cost.
He could fight it out with Rinehart for left guard or back up Thomas at right guard.(shame he doesn't like playing center).

2)Marcus-never fully fit and lost a step, i think the skins should bring in a free agent linebacker to go with h.Blades.Sorry M.W.

3)Springs-at $8.4 mill should be gone for 2009 but unless they nab a good corner off the free agent list(one they can afford)he'll be here because Smoot should not be the long term starter and i cannot see Blache wanting a rookie.

4)Griffin-counts $6 mill then $5.8.I think they keep him 1 more year then cut him.I would not extend his contract to bring his cap number down.
One thing i think the skins WILL do is bring back phil Daniels, if fully healed,to play mostly def. tackle,if they can agree terms.
(yeah i know most of you wont like this move)

2009 draft=do not trade down because so far our 3 second rounders have yet to deliver and they are all on 4 year contracts.
Sam Baker who the falcons traded up for looks a far better player.
Take the best player available who is a lineman or linebacker or c.b.
Third round go lineman again.

Antwan Randel-El, he is not productive for a number 2 wideout is he?
Have you seen his cap numbers-$6mill and $5 mill for the next few years.
What will the skins do, overpay to keep him, redo his deal or will he be a surprise cut in the next couple of years?

treyskins
11-07-2008, 05:50 PM
3)Unless Hall stinks it up then Springs and his cap hit will be gone in 2009.
Will make the 2009 draft picture a little clearer.

toddmlazarchick
11-09-2008, 07:13 PM
With the addition of Hall id rather go full speed ahead for Albert Haynesworth this offseason.

DiG
11-17-2008, 07:59 AM
alex mack has got to be the pick. unless hardy or orakpo fall to us which i dont see happening. i can understand the argument to go after a penetrating dt like jerry too but id put him just below mack.

thenewfeature06
11-17-2008, 08:35 AM
With the addition of Hall id rather go full speed ahead for Albert Haynesworth this offseason.

hall does not play like he used too.. so if anything the skins can just pick up a 2nd or 3rd round dback like mike mickens from cincy or maybe kevin barnes from UMD

DiG
11-17-2008, 11:24 AM
hall does not play like he used too.. so if anything the skins can just pick up a 2nd or 3rd round dback like mike mickens from cincy or maybe kevin barnes from UMD

thanks for your input but ill let the rest of this year be the judge of whether his play in oakland carries over to the skins. he looked pretty good last night with only a week of practice.

Canadian_draft_fan
11-17-2008, 11:25 AM
The more i saw our Oline last night the more I'm in favour drafting Mack. IMO, we need to draft 2 Olineman, 1 Dlineman and an OLB to replace Washington. I'd sign Hall for reasonable money, we don't have enough draft picks to fill all our holes.

DiG
11-17-2008, 01:05 PM
The more i saw our Oline last night the more I'm in favour drafting Mack. IMO, we need to draft 2 Olineman, 1 Dlineman and an OLB to replace Washington. I'd sign Hall for reasonable money, we don't have enough draft picks to fill all our holes.

im with you completely. im pulling for mack in the first, dlinemane in the third, oline again in the fourth and either dansby or crowder in free agency. in the third id go with a penetrating dt or a pass rush de depending on best avail at each spot and go after an OT in the fourth that has some mobility.

treyskins
11-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Dont think we have a fourth rounder in 2009, just 1st/3rd/5th/6th and probably a 7th as James has done zip.

Canadian_draft_fan
11-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Dont think we have a fourth rounder in 2009, just 1st/3rd/5th/6th and probably a 7th as James has done zip.
You are correct - we don't have a fourth due due tthe Pete Kendall trade. I still think we lose our 7th to Minny. James made the 53 man roster and that was the criteria, I believe.

DiG
11-24-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm starting to very much get on board the draft a rb in the mid rounds bandwagon. Every game seems to continue to emphasize our need for oline in rd 1 but i am really coming around to looking at a rb in rd 3 and I especially love Rashad Jennings from Liberty. He is a HARD runner and from what I have seen he moves very quick for his size.

DiG
11-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Latest and Greatest:

Trades:

-Trade down from the first round into the very end of the first or beginning of the second and pick up a late second/early third

-Trade up from the late 5th to the beginning of the 5th round or even late 4th giving up our late 5th and Ladell Betts

2009 Draft Picks:

Late 1 / Early 2 - Max Unger, OL Oregon

Late 2 / Early 3 - Vance Walker, DT GT

3 - Rashad Jennings, RB Liberty

Late 4 / Early 5 - Derek Walker, DE Illinois

6 -Garrett Reynolds, OT UNC

7 - Best avail DL or CB

2009 Free Agent Signings

1 Karlos Dansby LB UFA
2 Jordan Gross, OT UFA
3 Kedric Golston
4 Anthony Montgomery
5 Khary Campbell
6 Dime CB

Cut

Jon Jansen
Shawn Springs
Marcus Washington
Todd Yoder

Canadian_draft_fan
11-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Latest and Greatest:

Trades:

-Trade down from the first round into the very end of the first or beginning of the second and pick up a late second/early third

-Trade up from the late 5th to the beginning of the 5th round or even late 4th giving up our late 5th and Ladell Betts

2009 Draft Picks:

Late 1 / Early 2 - Max Unger, OL Oregon

Late 2 / Early 3 - Vance Walker, DT GT

3 - Rashad Jennings, RB Liberty

Late 4 / Early 5 - Derek Walker, DE Illinois

6 -Garrett Reynolds, OT UNC

7 - Best avail DL or CB

2009 Free Agent Signings

1 Karlos Dansby LB UFA
2 Jordan Gross, OT UFA
3 Kedric Golston
4 Anthony Montgomery
5 Khary Campbell
6 Dime CB

Cut

Jon Jansen
Shawn Springs
Marcus Washington
Todd Yoder
You didn't state it but I'll make the assumption the Skins sign Deangelo Hall to a long term deal.
Overall, I like your mock but I'm not sure how much cap space the Skins have to sign both Hall & Dansby.

DiG
11-24-2008, 02:52 PM
You didn't state it but I'll make the assumption the Skins sign Deangelo Hall to a long term deal.
Overall, I like your mock but I'm not sure how much cap space the Skins have to sign both Hall & Dansby.

cutting springs alone should save us close to 9 million. and we up some more cutting marcus. but yes i was including resigning hall to a long term deal.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-24-2008, 03:09 PM
As a drafted RB I want Andre Brown. A real bruising back. I also think either James Davis or Javon Ringer will drop to the 3rd. Both would be great change of pace guys who especially Davis could factor in pass catching.

DiG
11-24-2008, 04:33 PM
As a drafted RB I want Andre Brown. A real bruising back. I also think either James Davis or Javon Ringer will drop to the 3rd. Both would be great change of pace guys who especially Davis could factor in pass catching.

im not a ringer fan. if james davis dropped then of course he'd be a great value pick but i don't foresee that happening. especially not to the late third rd. jump on board the rashad wagon now!

SeanTaylorRIP
11-24-2008, 08:13 PM
My sleeper back is Javarris Williams.

DiG
11-24-2008, 11:22 PM
My sleeper back is Javarris Williams.

i only posted plan A. I actually have a plan B with backup selections for each draft pick and Javarris is on there. Still prefer Rashad though.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-25-2008, 07:55 AM
I was pleading for us to draft Tim Hightower last year but that obviously didn't happen. Having watched all his games at RU I knew Hightower was going to be a stud.

treyskins
11-25-2008, 06:32 PM
What about our Q.B. Campbell?
2009 is his last year of his rookie contract,if he and C.B.Hall are re-signed there wont be much left for other free agents.

However,i have read that if the c.b.a. is torn up then Campbell would count as a restricted free agent, after 2009,having played 5 seasons not 6.
It would be nice to have the cap space but would the front office leave Campbell's contract alone for another year?

toddmlazarchick
11-28-2008, 05:02 PM
2009 FA Signings:

Jordan Gross - T OR Albert Haynesworth - DT
Karlos Dansby - LB/Channing Crowder - LB

Round 1:

If we pick up Gross then here we need to go with the best DT available. One of the following:

Sen'Derrick Mays - Auburn
Greg Hardy - Ole Miss
George Selive - South Florida
Peria Jerry - Ole Miss

If we pick up Haynesworth then we need to trade down pick up a second round pick or an additional third round pick.

Duke Robinson (G) - Oklahoma
Alex Mack (G/C) - California

Round 2/3:

R2 - Phil Loadholt (T) - Oklahoma/Jamon Meredith (T) - South Carolina

R3 - James Davis (RB/KR) - Clemson/Kraig Urbik (G) - Wisconsin

Round 3:

Clay Matthews (OLB) - USC

Round 5:

Cary Harris (CB) - USC

Round 7:

BPA on DL and OL

SeanTaylorRIP
11-28-2008, 06:13 PM
2009 FA Signings:

Jordan Gross - T OR Albert Haynesworth - DT
Karlos Dansby - LB/Channing Crowder - LB

Round 1:

If we pick up Gross then here we need to go with the best DT available. One of the following:

Sen'Derrick Mays - Auburn
Greg Hardy - Ole Miss
George Selive - South Florida
Peria Jerry - Ole Miss

If we pick up Haynesworth then we need to trade down pick up a second round pick or an additional third round pick.

Duke Robinson (G) - Oklahoma
Alex Mack (G/C) - California

Round 2/3:

R2 - Phil Loadholt (T) - Oklahoma/Jamon Meredith (T) - South Carolina

R3 - James Davis (RB/KR) - Clemson/Kraig Urbik (G) - Wisconsin

Round 3:

Clay Matthews (OLB) - USC

Round 5:

Cary Harris (CB) - USC

Round 7:

BPA on DL and OL

I don't think DT is a need at all. I am perfectly happy with our future in Kedric Golston, Anthony Montgomery, and Lorenzo Alexander if you consider our other holes. Even if we miraculously got a guy like Gross O-line is still #1 need. Kendall might be gone and Randy is old. Rabach also is almost done. Getting a guy like Gross would help a bunch as I am fine with Stephon Heyer as our future RT, but we would then need either Duke Robinson or Alex Mack in the draft. IMO #1 need is O-line, 2nd is DE, 3rd is LB, 4th is corner, and 5th is DT.

toddmlazarchick
11-28-2008, 10:01 PM
I don't think DT is a need at all. I am perfectly happy with our future in Kedric Golston, Anthony Montgomery, and Lorenzo Alexander if you consider our other holes. Even if we miraculously got a guy like Gross O-line is still #1 need. Kendall might be gone and Randy is old. Rabach also is almost done. Getting a guy like Gross would help a bunch as I am fine with Stephon Heyer as our future RT, but we would then need either Duke Robinson or Alex Mack in the draft. IMO #1 need is O-line, 2nd is DE, 3rd is LB, 4th is corner, and 5th is DT.

How could you not view DT as a major need. Griffin is old and always hurt. Alexander is at best a 3rd or 4th rotational DT. Monty and Kedric is a good rotation but none of our DT's have pass rushing ability. Our sack totals are horrible this year because we have no pressure up the middle. How many times does the opposing QB just step up in the pocket and avoid the outside pressure and complete a pass? TOO MANY! A DL of the following:

Carter - Montgomery - Haynesworth - Taylor

would be the best in the league. Haynesworth makes a living on commanding double teams and putting pressure up the middle. That would leave JT and AC one on one or force teams to keep a TE or a back in the help chip on them.

We could have lots of money coming off the books this offseason with the departure of Washington, Springs and Griffin. Id go after Haynesworth and Gross. If anyone can work the cap its Danny boy. Angelo Crowell would also be a great CHEAP FA signing. He knows the system and played with Fletcher before.

Id agree that we should take OL in the first and second round too (if we trade back to pick up a 2nd). Id try to go for Duke Robinson and Phil Loadholt. They already play together and the chemistry would be great between them. Take a look at what our roster would be like next season

QB - Jason Campbell, Colt Brennan, Todd Collins
RB - Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts, James Davis
FB - Mike Sellers
WR - Santana Moss, Antwaan Randle El, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly
TE - Chris Cooley, Fred Davis
T - Chris Samuels, Jordan Gross, Phil Loadholt, Stephon Heyer
G - Randy Thomas, Duke Robinson, Chad Rinehart, Pete Kendall
C - Casey Rabach

DE - Jason Taylor, Andre Carter, Demetric Evans, Erasmus James, Chris Wilson/Rob Jackson
DT - Albert Haynesworth, Anthony Montgomery, Kedric Golston
OLB - Rocky McIntosh, Angelo Crowell, Khary Campbell, Clay Matthews
MLB - London Fletcher, HB Blades
CB - Carlos Rogers, DeAngelo Hall, Fred Smoot, Justin Tryon, Cary Harris
S - LaRon Landry, Chris Horton, Reed Doughty, Kareem Moore

That is an awesome lineup with youth all over the place and the right amout of vets mixed in

703SKINS202
11-29-2008, 05:32 PM
i agree actually that dt is a big need, we definiitely need to get more pressure up the middle to create mismatches on the ends

SeanTaylorRIP
12-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Here's what I did in the forum mock. When Monroe dropped I decided I couldn't trade down to pick up extra picks so that really changed what I could do:

1: Traded #78 pick overall(Josh Freeman), 5th round Selection, and Marcus Washington to the Pittsburgh Steelers for Willie Parker and the 94th selection overall.
This deal was a big one for me. Clinton Portis lacks a real backup and now with Willie Parker they create one of the but now arguably the most lethal thunder and lightning combination. Willie Parker is a top 10 back when he isn't hurt, so getting limited carries makes his effectiveness that much better. Portis is always hurt so this takes carries off of him and extends his career. This also provides insurance should the Portis and Zorn rift grow bigger and Portis is later on moved. In acquiring Parker we only had to trade Marcus Washington who will be a cut this summer and has been outplayed by HB Blades, as well as moving down in the 3rd round 16 spots. RB wasn't the biggest need, but it was a need and we feel confident now with our running backs.

2: Traded Todd Collins for 7th round Selection
Colt Brennan needs to be our #2 QB, Collins has no fit in the future or present so getting a late round pick is good enough for us. Remember our last 7th rounder was Chris Horton. Also HB Blades, Kedric Golston, and Anthony Montogmery who are 3 of our defensive starters were all later round picks.

3: Drafted Eugene Monroe 15th overall
Skins tried to move the pick for depth but couldn't pass on Eugene Monroe. On the right side of the line we have a RG starting because we have no backup tackles. On the left side a undrafted tackle is starting the rest of the year with Chris Samuels. Samuels is nearing the end of the line so no way we pass on his future successor like many failed teams have done to with All pro tackles they have for 10+ years. They get so used to having them there they hardly think that they need to address the position but when that player retires they are left with years of mediocrity and the team takes a dip without that security on the edge they were so used to. Like a QB you don't pass on a franchise LT if you don't have one. We won't have one in a few years so we take Monroe who we believe to be the best pure LT in the entire draft. He also gets brownie points for being a local kid. This also opens up the chance to extend Chris Samuels career by moving him to RT and still be dominant.

4: Traded 94th Selection overall and Antwaan Randle El for 86th overall selection(Marko Mitchell)
Skins tried to move up to take Vance Walker but were unable to find a dealer. We also tried to move to get Herrman Johnson but he was taken too. Instead we move Randle El in a move people will question because many aren't aware of Mitchell, but we would have taken Mitchell in the second if we had a second round selection. Randle El was traded in the process and while he's a solid #2 or #3 wideout in the league his fit with Zorn's WCO is not apparent and we are glad to get rid of his contract. With the new WCO in place we have our 2 TE set with Cooley and Fred Davis. We have our dynamite wideout in Santana, we have our 2 WR rookies in Thomas and Kelly, and Mitchell helps complete the WR corps. He is exactly what the team needs. Mitchell is a big guy at 6-4" but his #1 threat is a being a vertical threat with good speed and terrific hands. He can also go up there and grab TD's. We love his ypr average. He needs to put on some weight and work on intermediate routes, but we had him as our #2 WR for our WCO on our board behind Darrius Heyward Bey. Our scouting team compares his game favorably to a young Chad Johnson and hope he is the next in line of 2nd-3rd round former JUCO wideout steals. We feel like he has all pro potential tools, and could be one of those guys like Steve Smith and Chad Johnson, that people highly regret passing over. Here are his career stats:

2007: 53 receptions, 1129 yards, 8 TD's, 21.3 ypr
2008: 56 receptions, 1011 yards, 9 TD's, 18.1 ypr

DiG
12-15-2008, 09:21 AM
meh you did ok. it kills me that you didn't address the dline at all though. i can understand adding either a wr or rb but to do both without addressing the dline is a bit much imo.

DiG
12-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Player- '09 Salary- Cap hit- Savings

J.Taylor-$8.5 million- None- $8.5 million
Shawn Springs-$8.483 million- $2.483 million- $6 million
M.Washington-$6.520 million- $2.020 million- $4.5 million
C. Griffin-$6.166 million- $2.549 million- $3.617 million
P.Daniels-$2.057 million- $114,000- $1.943 million
J.Thrash-$945,000- $100,00 - $845,000
T.Yoder-$887,000- $117,000- $770,00

Total possible savings - $26.175 million.

Obviously, we aren't going to cut all these players but as you can see theres a lot of possible cap savings out there. Will be interesting to see what route we go.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-15-2008, 10:58 AM
meh you did ok. it kills me that you didn't address the dline at all though. i can understand adding either a wr or rb but to do both without addressing the dline is a bit much imo.

Honestly with only 1 day 1 pick, chances are we don't address D-line. IMO First round is most definitely an O-line or LB and 3rd we will go bpa most likely. BTW the first 3 on your list have to be gone. I'd like to see Springs, Griffin, and Daniels back but restructure.

DiG
12-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Honestly with only 1 day 1 pick, chances are we don't address D-line. IMO First round is most definitely an O-line or LB and 3rd we will go bpa most likely. BTW the first 3 on your list have to be gone. I'd like to see Springs, Griffin, and Daniels back but restructure.

i agree about springs and griff but i think daniels, taylor, and marcus washington should be sure fire cuts.

also, update your sig.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-15-2008, 11:51 AM
i agree about springs and griff but i think daniels, taylor, and marcus washington should be sure fire cuts.

also, update your sig.

Eh I'd rather not, I think I'll change it back to when we were 6-2.

D-Unit
12-15-2008, 01:01 PM
As long as you guys don't draft Shonn Greene, I will be happy. I DO NOT want to see that guy in the NFC East!!!

I haven't seen another back look so similar to Marion Barber than he does.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-16-2008, 09:21 AM
As far as free agency goes, there are a number of guys I have my eye on. Call it a hunch but I think Maurice Maurice will land with us. He's a harder runner than Betts, and you know Zorn will add as many has his former Seahawks players as possible. I wouldn't mind this one though because Morris is a much better runner than Betts. I would love though to sign Darren Sproles who most importantly provides us with a dynamite returner, but also is a great 3rd down receiving back and is a nice change of pace. Buckhalter would also be interesting because he's a proven good backup and a tough runner. As far as WR's Bobby Engram is likely to land with the Skins. Again the Zorn seahawks connection but more importantly he is trusted in Zorn's system and has proven to be able to perform. Watching Thrash on the field when it's not special teams is brutal. I think Hank Baskett could also be an underrated signing if we were to go after him. Haynesworth would obviously be a dream signing but that's not happening. As far as LB's go this is really a position I'd want to address in Free agency so we don't have to in the draft, since there are so many quality FA's available. Karlos Dansby would be my dream signing. Bart Scott would be interesting to look at as he's the most likely of the 3 Ravens starting FA LB's to go, and you know Snyder would love to throw money at him. Eric Barton and James Farrior are 2 local veteran backers who would be interesting to bring in. Our DB's are set so long as Deangelo Hall re-sings but still I'd like to add some depth. Dawan Landry would be interesting to make an offer to. He's a RFA but the Ravens seem happy with Harkuri Nakamura and Leonhard. While Horton has been a great surprise there is no depth behind him and Horton has been banged up a bit. It sure would be great to see the Landry bro's back there. Dawan I think was at a close to pro bowl level prior to his freakish injury. He should be back though. Dawan is bigger and more physical than LaRon but doesn't have that range. Even starting the two Landry's would allow Horton to be an extra DB or coverage LB who would run around the field and make plays which is what he does best. Acquiring a new punter and possibly kicker are also priorities.

2 Live Crew
12-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Somewhat agree with you ST in that I would like us to sign a OLB in FA so that we can spend picks on the lines. I think the secondary is fine for the most part, could use some Safety depth but not a big deal to me.

Let's talk about Special Teams. The Skins always have horrible special teams. I can't remember the last time i was pleased with their play at all. Danny Smith needs to fired about 3 years ago. He has done jack squat with special teams in his tenure here.

We are pathetic in all key areas of ST:

KR - Rock...has to be the least explosive return man in the NFL. Sure hes good for pounding it straight ahead to the 25-30 but at no time when he gets a return do you think he's taking one to the house. He has no breakaway speed or good open field moves. Let Thomas return kicks, can't be worse.

PR - ARE...absolutely pathetic job this year. Does his usual dance from side to side and then falls to the ground for a 2 yard gain. You can see the huge difference when Moss returns kicks...much better vision/explosiveness. Basically won the Detroit game with him. Put him or Thomas back there full time please. I don't really buy the "oh he could get injured"...of course he could its football.

K - Suisham...eh I guess we can get by with him but you can do so much better. His kickoffs are routinely crappy and short and give up field position. Misses routine kicks and 50+ yarders are almost out of the question. Why do we always have a crappy Kicker? Sign a decent veteran and you're good for like 5 years its not hard Vinny. Example: Elam to Falcons last year.

P - Plackemeir...You have to be able to do better than him. He was decent last game I'll give him that. He's very below average. It is not hard to sign an average punter in the offseason but we still can't figure this out.

Why does Danny Smith still have a job?

SeanTaylorRIP
12-16-2008, 01:01 PM
I have no problem with Rock at all. And to be a kick returner open field moves aren't that important. It's about finding the open lane, hitting it and running hard. Sure Rock doesn't bust out for TD's although he has a couple times for the Skins, but he the past 3 years has had one of the top KR averages in the NFL. He consistently gets us good field positioning. I have no problem with him whatsover and would like to keep him as our KR, I mean against the Bengals he almost got us back in the game. There are only a couple guys in the league like Hester, Cribbs, and Washington who can take it to the house, but I'll take Rock anyday, he's a top 10 KR in the NFL. As far as Randle El we are all in agreement he is the worst PR in the NFL. As far as Thomas I'm pretty sure if the coaches were comfortable in him returning kicks he would.

2 Live Crew
12-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Among KR with 30+ returns this year (there's 24 of them) the lowest KR avg is about 21 and highest is about 29. Rock's is 25.4. That's just average, he's not providing any substantial field position that an avg KR would.

Let's look at returns that make a big difference in a game. Momentum changers.

Lets call those 40+ yd returns and TD's.

Out of 45 returns, Rock has 3 40+ and 0 TD's this year. Only 1 other return man in the league (Will Blackmon) has that many returns and less 40+ runs than that but Blackmon has 2 Punt Return TD's.

Even if Rock had an elite avg of 28/29 per return (which he doesn't) your only getting an extra 3-4 yards per return than a normal return man. Who cares about an extra 3-4 yds when you're back by your own 30. Those few yards don't make any difference. They don't give you any field position advantage.

What matters is big plays from return men. Averages don't really mean jack. One big return can turn a game around and sometimes single handedly win games. I dont care if my return man had an avg of 22 per return if he had 1-2 TD's a year I would be pleased.

Rock's career: 177 returns, 24.3 avg, 1 TD, 7 40+ returns.

Theres guys that have more TD's and more 40+ returns this year than in Rock's entire career. I'm sorry but 1/177 is pathetic.

Rock gives you no big plays and will not win you any extra games.

D-Unit
12-16-2008, 02:04 PM
As far as free agency goes, there are a number of guys I have my eye on. Call it a hunch but I think Maurice Maurice will land with us. He's a harder runner than Betts, and you know Zorn will add as many has his former Seahawks players as possible. I wouldn't mind this one though because Morris is a much better runner than Betts. I would love though to sign Darren Sproles who most importantly provides us with a dynamite returner, but also is a great 3rd down receiving back and is a nice change of pace. Buckhalter would also be interesting because he's a proven good backup and a tough runner. As far as WR's Bobby Engram is likely to land with the Skins. Again the Zorn seahawks connection but more importantly he is trusted in Zorn's system and has proven to be able to perform. Watching Thrash on the field when it's not special teams is brutal. I think Hank Baskett could also be an underrated signing if we were to go after him. Haynesworth would obviously be a dream signing but that's not happening. As far as LB's go this is really a position I'd want to address in Free agency so we don't have to in the draft, since there are so many quality FA's available. Karlos Dansby would be my dream signing. Bart Scott would be interesting to look at as he's the most likely of the 3 Ravens starting FA LB's to go, and you know Snyder would love to throw money at him. Eric Barton and James Farrior are 2 local veteran backers who would be interesting to bring in. Our DB's are set so long as Deangelo Hall re-sings but still I'd like to add some depth. Dawan Landry would be interesting to make an offer to. He's a RFA but the Ravens seem happy with Harkuri Nakamura and Leonhard. While Horton has been a great surprise there is no depth behind him and Horton has been banged up a bit. It sure would be great to see the Landry bro's back there. Dawan I think was at a close to pro bowl level prior to his freakish injury. He should be back though. Dawan is bigger and more physical than LaRon but doesn't have that range. Even starting the two Landry's would allow Horton to be an extra DB or coverage LB who would run around the field and make plays which is what he does best. Acquiring a new punter and possibly kicker are also priorities.
You really do not like Betts at all huh? I don't blame you. Morris is an eternal injury concern. Not sure you want him. I so hope you guys DON'T get Shonn Greene. I have a feeling you will though. Call it a gut feeling. I felt the same way about DeAngelo Hall once he got released. Just knew you guys would end up with him. Can't believe you'd want Buckhalter. yeuck.

I don't think Engram is worth bringing on board. He'll only block the development of your young receivers and he's no longer serviceable. Maybe if Zorn wants a new WRs coach or assistant, he could be there if he retires. Baskett is intriguing. Don't love the player, but he fits. I'm pretty sure Seattle wasn't too happy when he left. ..or am I thinking of someone else?

Dansby isn't going anywhere except to the Pro Bowl. Barton and Farrior are both 3-4 ILBs. Not saying they wouldn't work, but Farrior is pretty much entrenched in Pitt... I don't see him moving on like Kimo Von Oelffen did. ...but I could be wrong. I personally like Barton a lot for the Cowboys.

Ravens love Dawan. ...but I can see him moving for money. Would be a great fit with you guys. I think he wants a starting gig though. Horton deserves that more than him. So then what? Is the brother connection that strong? Will Snyder pay him enough that he'll be satisfied coming off the bench? Questions... questions...

SeanTaylorRIP
12-16-2008, 02:10 PM
You really do not like Betts at all huh? I don't blame you. Morris is an eternal injury concern. Not sure you want him. I so hope you guys DON'T get Shonn Greene. I have a feeling you will though. Call it a gut feeling. I felt the same way about DeAngelo Hall once he got released. Just knew you guys would end up with him. Can't believe you'd want Buckhalter. yeuck.

I don't think Engram is worth bringing on board. He'll only block the development of your young receivers and he's no longer serviceable. Maybe if Zorn wants a new WRs coach or assistant, he could be there if he retires. Baskett is intriguing. Don't love the player, but he fits. I'm pretty sure Seattle wasn't too happy when he left. ..or am I thinking of someone else?

Dansby isn't going anywhere except to the Pro Bowl. Barton and Farrior are both 3-4 ILBs. Not saying they wouldn't work, but Farrior is pretty much entrenched in Pitt... I don't see him moving on like Kimo Von Oelffen did. ...but I could be wrong. I personally like Barton a lot for the Cowboys.

Ravens love Dawan. ...but I can see him moving for money. Would be a great fit with you guys. I think he wants a starting gig though. Horton deserves that more than him. So then what? Is the brother connection that strong? Will Snyder pay him enough that he'll be satisfied coming off the bench? Questions... questions...

Baskett? Eagles receiver. Slow but is a big target and still young. I think your thinking Nate Burleson or something. I disagree on Farrior. I think he would make a pretty decent 4-3 OLB. Also will the Ravens be willing to retain Dawan. They have found 2 guys able to start for them and still have hopes for Zbikowski that I don't think they will have that much allegiance to a guy who suffered a near career ending injury. Dawan was a 6th round pick I think they feel like they can go with anyone especially since Leonhard and Nakamura have been playing well and Zbikowski is supposedly in their future plans.

DiG
12-16-2008, 02:39 PM
i want nothing to do with morris, baskett, or engram.

sproles would be sweet. as would dansby but i dont foresee him going anywhere. i think we will have a better chance possibly at crowder. if we cut the guys we should cut then we should have enough cash to go after at least one of:

haynesworth
peppers
dansby
crowder
jordan gross
sproles

book it danno. signing any one of those from that list will help alleviate some needs come draft day.

and yes D Unit, I would love me some shonn greene but theres not much of a way we could pull it off as we dont have a second round pick and we look to be picking too early in the first to take him.

D-Unit
12-16-2008, 04:20 PM
i want nothing to do with morris, baskett, or engram.

sproles would be sweet. as would dansby but i dont foresee him going anywhere. i think we will have a better chance possibly at crowder. if we cut the guys we should cut then we should have enough cash to go after at least one of:

haynesworth
peppers
dansby
crowder
jordan gross
sproles

book it danno. signing any one of those from that list will help alleviate some needs come draft day.

and yes D Unit, I would love me some shonn greene but theres not much of a way we could pull it off as we dont have a second round pick and we look to be picking too early in the first to take him.
Ah... great. Don't want him anywhere in the NFC let alone the NFC East. He's seriously my favorite RB prospect in college football right now. Eh... Demarco Murray I love too... hmm...

D-Unit
12-16-2008, 10:48 PM
This offseason??? If I'm Zorn, I'm putting Jason Campbell on the block.

DiG
12-17-2008, 08:02 AM
This offseason??? If I'm Zorn, I'm putting Jason Campbell on the block.

With only a year left on his contract I wouldn't put that out of the realm of possibility. However, looking at the FA quarterbacks there aren't any that would fit the WCO or give me any comfort behind Colt and we can't go with Colt and a rookie. If the Hass is let go in Seattle (definitely a possibility) then that would be the only scenario where I could see us looking to move Jason.

D-Unit
12-17-2008, 12:06 PM
With only a year left on his contract I wouldn't put that out of the realm of possibility. However, looking at the FA quarterbacks there aren't any that would fit the WCO or give me any comfort behind Colt and we can't go with Colt and a rookie. If the Hass is let go in Seattle (definitely a possibility) then that would be the only scenario where I could see us looking to move Jason.
Makes sense. Who knows... maybe I'm completely wrong... Maybe JC is the guy. Guess only time will tell.

DiG
12-17-2008, 01:12 PM
so ive done some reading and im becomming quickly infatuated with Jerry. Everything I've seen on him makes me think he could be the right fit for what we need on the line. I think 13 or 14 may be a bit early to take him but i think we could try to slide down to the 17-20 range and still get him and pick up another pick too. although at this point, if the top OTs and Orakpo are off the board I'm starting to think he might not be bad even as early as 13.

My Rough Go at a Board
Andre Smith
Brian Orakpo
Eugene Monroe
Crabtree
Jason Smith
Peria Jerry

SeanTaylorRIP
12-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Personally having watched a lot of ACC football I think Vance Walker is the perfect fit for us. He is always in the backfield and is pretty good against the run. Best of all is we can get him outside of the first round. I like what I see from Jerry but he is suspect against the run at times and would command a first round selection. His motor and leverage though is undeniable. As far as WR's love to have Crabtree although don't think he'd drop to us, but I think DHB if we can trade down in the first and pick up an extra late 2nd to go D or O-line I think DHB is the perfect fit. He's tall at 6-3" but is arguably the fastest vertical runner in the draft. Also he is a natural pass catcher unlike Devin Thomas. I am excited about Thomas's potential and think that he's our future #2 wideout but he isn't a natural pass catcher. Dating back to watching him last year at MSU, he is a body catcher and doesn't do well adjusting to balls. He's explosive as hell but he isn't a natural pass catcher, DHB is that and I think could eventually be our #1 Wideout. Hopefully we can get rid of Randle El so we can draft a WR if one falls to us. I just wish our young guys would develop so Santana could murder people in the slot.

DiG
12-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Trust me I am as big a supporter of DHB than anyone on this message board or any other message board for that matter. I'd buy his jersey the day it was available but at the same time he probably shouldnt be too near the top of our board. If the guys I mentioned previously were all off the board and we got DHB in a trade down then grabbed oline and dline with our 3rd and whatever we got in the trade then I'd be ecstatic. Just don't see it happening.

2 Live Crew
12-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Yea I like Heyward-Bey as well. Personally, I'll take him over any WR in this draft including Crabtree. I guess I could take him if we traded down but if we didn't its hard to justify not addressing lines.

What do you guys think of Unger? He'd probably fall to us, maybe even if we traded down a few spots. Could take over for Rabach, but he's got versatility to play any spot according to what I've read.

DiG
12-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Yea I like Heyward-Bey as well. Personally, I'll take him over any WR in this draft including Crabtree. I guess I could take him if we traded down but if we didn't its hard to justify not addressing lines.

What do you guys think of Unger? He'd probably fall to us, maybe even if we traded down a few spots. Could take over for Rabach, but he's got versatility to play any spot according to what I've read.

I love Unger but if we don't win out then we are picking in the 13-16 range. Thats way too early for a center if you ask me and I want Rhineheart to start at guard next year.

703SKINS202
12-17-2008, 02:59 PM
I'd be all for trading down, recouping that 2nd and taking DHB. He has what it takes to be our future #1 and I agree totally STRIP that Thomas is very promising and explosive but not a natural pass catcher. He will be a perfect #2 however and if Kelly comes along and can be injury free our WR/TE's would be really good and set for a while. This of course depends on what we do in FA because if we don't get someone like Gross or Haynesworth then I think we need to go bpa on either line in round 1.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Sucks though by making the pro bowl Gross's salary is driven up even more, if that was possible. You are paying him 50+ mil easily.

2 Live Crew
12-17-2008, 03:20 PM
I love Unger but if we don't win out then we are picking in the 13-16 range. Thats way too early for a center if you ask me and I want Rhineheart to start at guard next year.

Trade down and pick up Unger was my more realistic way of getting him

D-Unit
12-17-2008, 04:58 PM
My thoughts:

QB - Wait on JC, keep Collins and continue developing Colt. No further action necessary.

WR - No way you guys address WR or TE early in this draft again. I'm not sure how much say Zorn had in last year's draft, but I have to assume that your War Room guys were all in sync and believed that in order for Zorn to succeed, he needed his type of playerss that fit his system. ...and more specifically, his "offensive" system. Your draft was heavily favored on the offensive side of the ball early in the draft. Cross Crabtree and DHB off your lists. Your young development projects at all receiving positions are already in the coup. If you guys need to bolster the corps and unload some of the misfits, then look at FA or trade. Take WR off your 1st round big board.

TE - This one is going to be a touchy subject. Trade Chris Cooley before his value is totally torched. Cooley made the Pro Bowl, but didn't have Pro Bowl numbers. He still made it by on reputation and that reputation equals good trade value. His TD numbers were way down. I think many expected him to have a break out season in this offense, but imo, he took a step back. I'm not sure his fit as a hybrid TE/H-back has a defined role in Zorn's scheme. Fred Davis is more in the mold of that crisp route running/pass receiving threat and it's time to use him. If you spend a 2nd rounder on a TE, you better make him a big part of your picture. Get a good draft pick for Cooley now to boost your draft. TE depth can be had at the tail end of the draft or in FA.

RB - Not sure what's ultimately going to happen with Portis, but I think you do need to keep up with the rest of the league and start to put together a RB stable that won't leave you hanging on the shoelaces of just one player. Fortunately, I think it'll be eas for you guys to find a RB on Day 2 and address it that way. I wouldn't look at FA or trade for this position. Too costly if you really want something of value. ...and don't bother picking up junk. ie. Maurice Morris. Ignore this need in Round 1. Go for it in Rounds 3-7 and get some strong fresh legs.

OL - OK, your 1st round big board should be litered with OT prospects. The way Chris Samuels is looking right now, this position is imperative and the first round is the BEST place to get a franchise LT. Best value.

OG - Don't ever draft an OG in round 1.

C - A Center in round 1 would really have to be special and you'd have to be picking at the end of the round. So only in a trade down scenario would I look at C. For the time being, I imagine you'll be picking between 13-17 and that's still too early to take a C. No Centers would be on my Redskins 1st Round big board as is right now.

Defense:

As much as defense needs to be addressed in the front 7, I think you guys need to support Zorn's mission to install his WCO and defense can come later. ...later as in after Round 1.

My Redskins Big Board:

1. Trent Williams - This OU tackle has it all.
2. Eugene Monroe - Could be Walter Thomas or Alex Barron.
3. Jason Smith - I like his athleticism a little more than Ohers.
4. Michael Oher - Probably the safest of all OTs this year.
5. Phil Loadholt - Even as a RT, he'd be a good investment.

D-Unit
12-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Sucks though by making the pro bowl Gross's salary is driven up even more, if that was possible. You are paying him 50+ mil easily.

Stay away from Gross. He's a mirage. Save your money and spend it on defense.

Canadian_draft_fan
12-17-2008, 06:58 PM
My thoughts:

QB - Wait on JC, keep Collins and continue developing Colt. No further action necessary.

WR - No way you guys address WR or TE early in this draft again. I'm not sure how much say Zorn had in last year's draft, but I have to assume that your War Room guys were all in sync and believed that in order for Zorn to succeed, he needed his type of playerss that fit his system. ...and more specifically, his "offensive" system. Your draft was heavily favored on the offensive side of the ball early in the draft. Cross Crabtree and DHB off your lists. Your young development projects at all receiving positions are already in the coup. If you guys need to bolster the corps and unload some of the misfits, then look at FA or trade. Take WR off your 1st round big board.

TE - This one is going to be a touchy subject. Trade Chris Cooley before his value is totally torched. Cooley made the Pro Bowl, but didn't have Pro Bowl numbers. He still made it by on reputation and that reputation equals good trade value. His TD numbers were way down. I think many expected him to have a break out season in this offense, but imo, he took a step back. I'm not sure his fit as a hybrid TE/H-back has a defined role in Zorn's scheme. Fred Davis is more in the mold of that crisp route running/pass receiving threat and it's time to use him. If you spend a 2nd rounder on a TE, you better make him a big part of your picture. Get a good draft pick for Cooley now to boost your draft. TE depth can be had at the tail end of the draft or in FA.

RB - Not sure what's ultimately going to happen with Portis, but I think you do need to keep up with the rest of the league and start to put together a RB stable that won't leave you hanging on the shoelaces of just one player. Fortunately, I think it'll be eas for you guys to find a RB on Day 2 and address it that way. I wouldn't look at FA or trade for this position. Too costly if you really want something of value. ...and don't bother picking up junk. ie. Maurice Morris. Ignore this need in Round 1. Go for it in Rounds 3-7 and get some strong fresh legs.

OL - OK, your 1st round big board should be litered with OT prospects. The way Chris Samuels is looking right now, this position is imperative and the first round is the BEST place to get a franchise LT. Best value.

C - A Center in round 1 would really have to be special and you'd have to be picking at the end of the round. So only in a trade down scenario would I look at C. For the time being, I imagine you'll be picking between 13-17 and that's still too early to take a C. No Centers would be on my Redskins 1st Round big board as is right now.

Defense:

As much as defense needs to be addressed in the front 7, I think you guys need to support Zorn's mission to install his WCO and defense can come later. ...later as in after Round 1.

My Redskins Big Board:

Interesting post D-Unit. I can't see trading Cooley even if they wanted to - he was just restructured prior to 2008 so the cap hit would be too big. Aside from TDs his numbers are as good as his other seasons.

Many people on this board figure the Skins should go OT with their 1st pick. I'm not one of them. Samuels was doing fine until his knee acted up at midseason. If fully healthy he should be good for another 2 seasons. That being said, drafting an OT in the 3rd (Meredith?) to groom for a couple of seasons to eventually replace Samuels would be a prudent approach.

If I were GM here's what I would do:
1. cut/don't re-sign: Kendall, Fabini, Thrash, MWashington, Griffin, Springs, JTaylor, possibly Daniels.
2. FA: sign DeAngelo Hall, OLB Leroy Hill or Angelo Crowell, re-sign Kerry Brown OG
3. Draft: trade down to the late 1st to pick up a late 2nd/early 3rd and a late 4th/early 5th and draft:
1. OC -Alex Mack or Max Unger (OCs)
2. DTs - 1 of Evander Hood, Vance Walker or Darryl Richard
3. OT - Jamon Meredith
4. OLB - Tyron McKenzie OLB
5. CB - Brandon Underwood
6. DE - Mitch King
Comp selection - WR/PR Jordan Shipley

I think that would make the Skins more competitive - not Superbowl contenders as there are still a lot of question marks and depth issues.

DiG
12-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Many people on this board figure the Skins should go OT with their 1st pick. I'm not one of them. Samuels was doing fine until his knee acted up at midseason. If fully healthy he should be good for another 2 seasons. That being said, drafting an OT in the 3rd (Meredith?) to groom for a couple of seasons to eventually replace Samuels would be a prudent approach.

groom for a couple years?!?! who is going to play rt? jansen? heyer?? kill me please.

and d unit, if we trade cooley i might find a new team.

Canadian_draft_fan
12-17-2008, 07:20 PM
groom for a couple years?!?! who is going to play rt? jansen? heyer?? kill me please.

I pray to God not Jansen. The Skins have to keep him on the roster because of yet another idiot restructure that makes him too costly to cut. I have hopes for Heyer and I think the Skins will give him 2009 to prove himself. You do have a point - he hasn't shown much so far so they may draft a RT, we'll see.

D-Unit
12-17-2008, 07:20 PM

I knew it would be a touchy subject... but you don't run a 2 TE offense... He isn't a WCO player... You spent a 2nd rounder on a TE... His stats are down... Are you really going to fight the inevitable? Proabably... but I'm just saying, Cooley has great trade value right now and it appears that it can only go down the longer you wait. Don't wait until he's Todd Heap.

Canadian_draft_fan
12-17-2008, 07:23 PM
I knew it would be a touchy subject... but you don't run a 2 TE offense... He isn't a WCO player... You spent a 2nd rounder on a TE... His stats are down... Are you really going to fight the inevitable? Proabably... but I'm just saying, Cooley has great trade value right now and it appears that it can only go down the longer you wait. Don't wait until he's Todd Heap.

Again - too much of a cap hit to trade him now. It would be at least another season before they even considered it. The skins envisioned some 2 TE packages but Davis didn't develop the way they hoped.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Again - too much of a cap hit to trade him now. It would be at least another season before they even considered it. The skins envisioned some 2 TE packages but Davis didn't develop the way they hoped.

I think it has nothing to do with Davis's development. If anything all I hear is good things of him in practice. The fact is that Zorn's offense just doesn't call for any 2 TE sets. I mean we hardly even play Todd Yoder in a TE set with him as an extra blocker even though he's a great blocker. I don't think there are many 2 TE sets in the system. Ceratto just got excited about being able to add as many big targets as he could since he heard we had small guys. It's like I said I just hate the WCO when a lot of our key personnel just doesn't have a natural fit with the offense. When your QB, WR's, TE's, and most of your lineman aren't built for the WCO, you are in trouble. We are in a Jim Zorn scheme with Joe Gibbs players. Unless Zorn changes our roster 180, we will struggle to do what he envisions.

DiG
12-17-2008, 10:32 PM

I understand what your saying but I have a huge man crush on cooley and his booty shorts. The guy is possibly the most loved player on the team by fans. It would be a close call between him and Portis as to fan favorites. Pair that with the large hit we'd take on the cap and it makes no sense to trade him. Let alone the fact that hes a beast. I wouldn't say that 73 catches for 764 yards is a down year for a TE. Thats already more catches than hes had any season in his career and very close to the most yards. The TDs are down but its not his fault. Our qb and o line has been inept for half the season.

shane_man
12-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Is Snyder definately sticking with Zorn? That seems to be the most important question because if Snyder is bringing Zorn in to change the offensive philosophy and then firing him after only one season(or even halfway through next year... Whatever) It's a complete waste of time trying to get personnel in for the WCO.

Jason Campbell for Donovan McNabb... Make it happen.

DiG
12-18-2008, 08:32 AM
Is Snyder definately sticking with Zorn? That seems to be the most important question because if Snyder is bringing Zorn in to change the offensive philosophy and then firing him after only one season(or even halfway through next year... Whatever) It's a complete waste of time trying to get personnel in for the WCO.

thats going to be the big question everyone wants answered after this season. I would think that we would know soon after the last game because if he did bring in someone else then it would have to be quickly enough to give him time to plan the offseason. nothing would surprise me at this point.

DiG
12-18-2008, 08:35 AM
My Redskins Big Board:

Any rumblings that he will declare? That would be awesome if he did. He is a great prospect for us and probably would grade out by most teams after Andre Smith, Oher, Monroe, and Jason Smith. If Williams declared I couldn't imagine one of those 5 not being there at our pick.I'm hoping Britton declares too. I think very highly of him as well.

2 Live Crew
12-18-2008, 08:36 AM

Eagles would hang up the phone

D-Unit
12-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Any rumblings that he will declare? That would be awesome if he did. He is a great prospect for us and probably would grade out by most teams after Andre Smith, Oher, Monroe, and Jason Smith. If Williams declared I couldn't imagine one of those 5 not being there at our pick.I'm hoping Britton declares too. I think very highly of him as well.
Word is that he's definitely coming out. Get ready!!!

He's the #1 guy on my Cowboys Big Board.

DiG
12-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Word is that he's definitely coming out. Get ready!!!

He's the #1 guy on my Cowboys Big Board.

I'd be super pumped if he came out. Sure first first rounder and if OTs fly off the board as people are expecting then it would help the chances of one falling to the skins.

critesy
12-18-2008, 10:43 PM
i have never heard anything on eben britton, whats the low down ?

DiG
12-19-2008, 07:09 AM
i have never heard anything on eben britton, whats the low down ?

Britton is a pimp. He is first-team All-Pac-10. He's started every game at Zona since his freshman year. Has great size at 6'6 340 lbs but has very fluid and quick movement for a guy of that size. Recently he was rated as the No. 7 overall prospect by Todd McShay for the 2009 draft. I have him really high on my wish list.

D-Unit
12-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Britton is a pimp. He is first-team All-Pac-10. He's started every game at Zona since his freshman year. Has great size at 6'6 340 lbs but has very fluid and quick movement for a guy of that size. Recently he was rated as the No. 7 overall prospect by Todd McShay for the 2009 draft. I have him really high on my wish list.
I forgot about Britton. I think he would be the perfect fit for you guys. Of course, I don't think he's the No. 7 overall prospects like McShay.. then again, I know McShay doesn't really think he's the No. 7 overall prospect either. This time of year, McShay, Kiper, and everyone else start to target the guys they want to overhype so that they can come back later and tell everyone that they had "so and so" player rated high all the way back in ... whenevers. They're just playing that game of "I knew about him a long time ago".... when the dust settles, Britton will be a mid to late first rounder... which falls right into your value.

toddmlazarchick
12-22-2008, 09:42 PM
I forgot about Britton. I think he would be the perfect fit for you guys. Of course, I don't think he's the No. 7 overall prospects like McShay.. then again, I know McShay doesn't really think he's the No. 7 overall prospect either. This time of year, McShay, Kiper, and everyone else start to target the guys they want to overhype so that they can come back later and tell everyone that they had "so and so" player rated high all the way back in ... whenevers. They're just playing that game of "I knew about him a long time ago".... when the dust settles, Britton will be a mid to late first rounder... which falls right into your value.

damn who is that in ur sig....sorry for the off topic but DAMN!

TruTerp
12-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Britton, Monroe, Oher and Smith(unlikely) would be great. So if all of these guys are gone, maybe an Everett Brown, Maualuga, Sintim, Curry etc. Could even look to interior linemen like Duke Robinson or one of the centers. Trading back is obviously another way to go depending on how things unfold.

Gotta get a free agent or two. Hopefully a Dansby and maybe Tommy Harris or Jordan Gross. Be great to have Haynesworth, Peppers, Suggs etc., but can't see us having the cap space.

critesy
12-29-2008, 05:22 PM
if a trade partner appears i believe we have to take it just to stock up on more picks since 4 really is not good..

also andre smith just got suspended from their bowl game so if he dropped to our pick hypothetically then there could be some trade partners available for that.

but with that said if there is no trade partners which is the likely choice then we do go with one of the top ot in oher, monroe, a.smith or j.smith.

in the 3rd it would be a dream to have unger or mack drop but there likely for the 1st/2nd, so there is eric wood from louisville, antoine caldwell from alabama and john luigig or whatever from arkansas

then in the 5th and 7th i trust vinny to find some dt or de that will work in our system just like he found monty and golston and yeah either that or bpa sort of thing.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-30-2008, 12:42 PM
It's sad that a year after spending 3 2nd rounders on receivers one of the biggest problems on this team is the absolute lack of enough playmaking wideouts.

2 Live Crew
12-30-2008, 01:10 PM
It's sad that a year after spending 3 2nd rounders on receivers one of the biggest problems on this team is the absolute lack of enough playmaking wideouts.

Agreed, thats pretty sad. But with our limited picks this year we can't afford to address it via draft again. Just gotta hope they step up.

So now we have the 13th pick I believe. Seems pretty clear to me that the way to go would be to take the top OT on the board...a pretty good one should drop to us. Wright's mock has Oher going 16th so that works for me.

Trading down is a nice thought but who knows what packages would be out there and we would probably have to pass on a franchise OT which is a huge need.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-30-2008, 01:31 PM
One thing that's worrying me is that I am starting to get the feeling that Carlos Rogers won't be a skin next year. He is a RFA so if we lose him we would get compensation, but if we can sign Deangelo longterm and get Rogers an extension we are set at CB for a while. My problem is what Carlos is saying. After being #3 CB the past 2 weeks he has told the media that he is a backup to no one, no matter where he plays. And that there are a handful of teams who see that and would give up their right arm to have him. This makes me think he could be gone.

2 Live Crew
12-30-2008, 02:32 PM
One thing that's worrying me is that I am starting to get the feeling that Carlos Rogers won't be a skin next year. He is a RFA so if we lose him we would get compensation, but if we can sign Deangelo longterm and get Rogers an extension we are set at CB for a while. My problem is what Carlos is saying. After being #3 CB the past 2 weeks he has told the media that he is a backup to no one, no matter where he plays. And that there are a handful of teams who see that and would give up their right arm to have him. This makes me think he could be gone.

Hmm...hadn't heard that Carlos said that...thats a little disheartening. Would be ashame to lose him this year.

703SKINS202
12-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Springs will be cut and he will be starting with Hall, all would be straight. Hopefully.

treyskins
12-31-2008, 06:39 AM
If Hall and Rogers were to be the skins starting Corners then they wouldn't have brought back Springs for the final games.

Rogers is on his way out-the skins are looking for more draft picks and he is one of the few they can afford to offload.
Shame we never re-sign our draft picks but i wouldn't put him in the top dozen c.b.'s and if he wants more than Hall then he needs to be more of a playmaker.

Canadian_draft_fan
12-31-2008, 09:21 AM
If Hall and Rogers were to be the skins starting Corners then they wouldn't have brought back Springs for the final games.

Rogers is on his way out-the skins are looking for more draft picks and he is one of the few they can afford to offload.
Shame we never re-sign our draft picks but i wouldn't put him in the top dozen c.b.'s and if he wants more than Hall then he needs to be more of a playmaker.
Sadly, I feel this is going to be the case and so does JLC from the Washington Post. If vinnie keeps Springs over Rogers than I have lost all hope of success with this regime. We will never win a Superbowl under Snyder and never be anything better than mediocre. Can we get a few people together and buy the Skins? Are any of you billionaires?

DiG
12-31-2008, 10:09 AM
Sadly, I feel this is going to be the case and so does JLC from the Washington Post. If vinnie keeps Springs over Rogers than I have lost all hope of success with this regime. We will never win a Superbowl under Snyder and never be anything better than mediocre. Can we get a few people together and buy the Skins? Are any of you billionaires?

I'd hate to see us keep Springs at that cost. IF the Redskins were able to restructure Springs to a much cheaper contract then I could live with it but I'd be very pissed if we kept him at his current contract.

As for Rogers, if we got a decent second round I wouldn't be too angry. I like Rogers. I hate that he couldn't catch a cold but he was much improved this year in coverage. I personally don't think he is a top 10-15 cb in the NFL but he is turning out to be a good starter. Itll be interesting.

Geo
01-01-2009, 10:43 AM
I don't get why the franchise/front office is souring on Carlos Rogers. First benching him this season so that Deangelo Hall can play, and now there's talk of extending Hall to a big longterm deal over Rogers.

Okay, even assuming Hall is a great fit and is worth extending for them, why not Rogers too? He's a great young corner. I was very impressed with him this season, he might have been the most improved player in the league or close to, other than his stone bricks for hands of course.

But I guess if they aren't going to re-sign him, if they can get a great return (I'd at least ask for a 2nd round pick and more), maybe that will help them.

DiG
01-02-2009, 10:09 AM
I don't get why the franchise/front office is souring on Carlos Rogers. First benching him this season so that Deangelo Hall can play, and now there's talk of extending Hall to a big longterm deal over Rogers.

Okay, even assuming Hall is a great fit and is worth extending for them, why not Rogers too? He's a great young corner. I was very impressed with him this season, he might have been the most improved player in the league or close to, other than his stone bricks for hands of course.

But I guess if they aren't going to re-sign him, if they can get a great return (I'd at least ask for a 2nd round pick and more), maybe that will help them.

I'm with you Geo. Unless Rogers is asking for some unreasonable price tag then I would prefer we resign both guys. I'm guessing that he is going to want at a minimum at least what we would give Hall. Problem might come when Rogers demands more than Hall where Hall actually was starting ahead of Carlos the last few games. I like them both a good bit. If I only get one, I'd want Hall but hopefully we either get good value on Rogers (mid 2nd at a minimum) or he resigns with Hall.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-02-2009, 10:14 AM
If both were in the same situations I'd rather keep Rogers than Hall, but because Carlos is a RFA and we get compensation for losing him, than we have to choose Hall first, but as all others said, we should extend both.

Geo
01-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Rogers cannot/wont be a RFA.

For one, he's signed through '09 on a five-year rookie contract, as a first round pick in '05. This is already his fourth year in the league.

To be an unrestricted free agent in this league, you must accrue 4 seasons as a player. Restricted free agents are players who have accrued 3 seasons in the league. They mainly coming into play thanks to some mid/late-round draft picks, or undrafted free agents, signing a three-year rookie contract when they come into the league.

For example, Marion Barber was a RFA after '07. His three-year rookie deal ran out, the Cowboys opted to tender him at the highest level/compensation, and so on.

In Rogers' case, he won't be a RFA - other teams won't try and match a tender offer with compensation for the Redskins if they don't match, etcetera. But otherwise, the Redskins could trade him just like any other player.

TruTerp
01-04-2009, 09:17 AM
but then reverted to old form down the stretch and was benched in favor of Hall and Springs. I had zero problem with that as both of those guys are better than Carlos. Having said that, Carlos did look like he improved this year early on and was playing at a fairly high level. Not sure what happened to him. But once he slid, Springs and Hall were the better option when you're trying to get into the playoffs. Was Carlos playing for the new contract early on? Why did he get toasted later on in the season?

Hopefully we bring all 3 back next year with a restructured deal for Springs and maybe keep Smoot to if you get him at fair value. Otherwise I'd jettison Smoot. Jason Taylor is another that you have to restructure or cut. I think I'd rather just get rid of him and go after a decent free agent to fill one of our many holes with that money.

critesy
01-05-2009, 12:18 AM
we have to sign carlos long term, he is becoming a very solid corner and a corner stone of this defense, not only does he shut down receivers 85% (random number) of the time but he can also lay a hit as shown in a lot of games this year. he is a very well rounded corner is a mold of maybe antoine winfield. we neeeeeed to sign him long term. him and hall, nothing is wrong with having two corners signed to big deals if they're worth it.

Canadian_draft_fan
01-05-2009, 09:41 AM
we have to sign carlos long term, he is becoming a very solid corner and a corner stone of this defense, not only does he shut down receivers 85% (random number) of the time but he can also lay a hit as shown in a lot of games this year. he is a very well rounded corner is a mold of maybe antoine winfield. we neeeeeed to sign him long term. him and hall, nothing is wrong with having two corners signed to big deals if they're worth it.
Completely agree. I think Carlos is on the rise but he is also a little older. However, I can see the skins letting him stew another year like the Eagles did to Lito Shepard. Make him earn a bigger deal, I guess.

DiG
01-05-2009, 11:49 AM
bottom line. carlos is not a free agent. he's not going to hold out in his last year of his contract. i think its more important to focus now on restructuring springs and resigning dhall than it is worrying about carlos. if springs wont restructure then you cut him. resign hall and work with carlos later.

skinzzfan25
01-05-2009, 02:40 PM
bottom line. carlos is not a free agent. he's not going to hold out in his last year of his contract. i think its more important to focus now on restructuring springs and resigning dhall than it is worrying about carlos. if springs wont restructure then you cut him. resign hall and work with carlos later.

I like that.

No way Rogers sits when he's playing for his next contract. Especially if he wants a nice fat check from Snyder.

If we cut Springs, I have some strange feeling he goes to Dallas. Everything just seems too perfect for him to not end up there. His dad played there, his family/issues with his father is in the area, they need CB help, takes from division opponent, gets rid of our TO killer.

DiG
01-05-2009, 02:48 PM
i honestly think springs will restructure. he loves dc and the area and hes not dumb enough to think hell get paid any more by another team given his age and injury concerns.

Red_BearSkins
01-13-2009, 01:29 AM

My Redskins Big Board:

Chris Samuels is still the best lineman we have, he's also a year or two younger than everyone else on our line. Not saying much...but still, he's playing pretty good when he's on the field. If we draft a LT in the 1st, that's too much investment to ride the pine, he'd need to be able to play RT until Samuels gets too old.

Our line is injury prone due to age. Jason Smith, while a great prospect, is injury prone. I don't want to fix an aging injury-prone o-line with a young injury-prone o-line.

Why do you say never draft a G in the first round? Duke Robinson is supposed to be the highest rated G prospect since Steve Hutchinson. Logan Mankins was also taken in the first round, and he's been great for the Patriots. Branden Albert is going to be one damn good lineman, and if he were in this draft class, he'd be after Robinson.

If you have a potential All-Pro G, you NEED to get him. We want to preserve Portis as best we can, he's a great pass-blocker cause he throws his body around, so he's not going to last long. Remember what Shaun Alexander did with the two pro-bowlers on the left side? Once Hutchinson left Shaun's numbers tanked. Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor definitely appreciate Hutchinson.

Maybe 13 is a little too high to take a G, but trading down to the late teens, and getting another pick would be great. Although, to be honest, I'd be happy getting a perennial pro-bowler and hopefully perennial all-pro G at number 13.

Red_BearSkins
01-13-2009, 01:48 AM
I'd hate to see us keep Springs at that cost. IF the Redskins were able to restructure Springs to a much cheaper contract then I could live with it but I'd be very pissed if we kept him at his current contract.

As for Rogers, if we got a decent second round I wouldn't be too angry. I like Rogers. I hate that he couldn't catch a cold but he was much improved this year in coverage. I personally don't think he is a top 10-15 cb in the NFL but he is turning out to be a good starter. Itll be interesting.

Agree about Springs. If we can restructure, I'm all for keeping him...just not in a starting role. I missed this myself since I don't get every Skins game in Chicago, but I heard we tried a few 3 safety sets to get Landry closer to the line of scrimmage. Springs is still great at a few things when healthy, like press coverage, he nullified T.O. in the 1st Cowboys game (before he got injured). He can also play a little FS. So whenever we go into Nickle, we could move Landry closer to scrimmage and move Springs back to FS unless there's a WR that Springs can effectively nullify by jamming him at the line.

It's not like Landry or Horton closer to scrimmage wouldn't be a huge improvement over our LOLB in obvious passing downs. Washington has lost a step...more like two steps. HB Blades is tiny, any average-tall TE is practically always open if Blades is the only guy covering him. Landry and Horton can blitz better than any of our LOLB too.

Either way, I think we need Rogers and Hall (whose been surprising with the Skins). Management likes Hall cause he creates turnovers, which is something our defense can't do much of. Rogers does have brick hands, but he's getting a little better (did you see his INT in the 49ers game?). I don't know why we would break up two really good YOUNG corners. Unless we got a really good young player back, like a DT or DE, that can provide a pass-rush. Cause Springs is too injury prone to be reliable, and with just Hall, who are we left with at CB after Springs goes down? JT? Smoot? No thanks.

diabsoule
02-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Redskins | Randle El restructures contract
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:07:22 -0800

Jason La Canfora, of The Washington Post, reports Washington Redskins WR Antwaan Randle El has restructured his contract with the team, according to league sources. His new contract runs through the 2015 season. His new deal will save the team $2 million in 2009, and it lowers his base salary from $4 million to $1.5 million.

Redskins | Carter restructures contract
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:06:41 -0800

Jason La Canfora, of The Washington Post, reports Washington Redskins DE Andre Carter has restructured his contract with the team, according to league sources. His new contract runs through the 2015 season. His new deal will save the team nearly $2.4 million in 2009, and it lowers his base salary from $2 million to $1.5 million.

Redskins | Plackemeier released
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:06:18 -0800

Jason La Canfora, of The Washington Post, reports Washington Redskins P Ryan Plackemeier has been released from the team, according to a source.

You guys just saved $4.4 million by having those two restructure.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Thank God for Randle El rightfully so, he just saved his ass from possibly being cut or traded for trash even with the cap hit. Andre Carter is the man, love him. And yeah Plack sucked so good riddance.

skinzzfan25
02-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Plack was playing alright down the stretch. I wouldn't have minded bringing somebody else in and having an open competition.

2 Live Crew
02-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Marcus Washington Cut today per ESPN.

I used to really like the guy the first few years he was here...great player.

Injuries just really took a toll on the guy the past few years though. He just couldn't get on the field. His dance was really getting annoying I have to say. Had to dance when he tackled guys after they got a first down...I mean come on.

Seems like a really good guy, wish him luck. Glad to gid rid of him though.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Marcus Washington Cut today per ESPN.

I used to really like the guy the first few years he was here...great player.

Injuries just really took a toll on the guy the past few years though. He just couldn't get on the field. His dance was really getting annoying I have to say. Had to dance when he tackled guys after they got a first down...I mean come on.

Seems like a really good guy, wish him luck. Glad to gid rid of him though.

Yeah lol, gotta love a guy who celebrates wildly when it is his teammate who makes the tackle.

DiG
02-21-2009, 10:53 PM
all aboard the larry english train! theres plenty of room but its going to fill up fast!

Canadian_draft_fan
03-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Wooo whooo! Our DE problems are solved!!! The Skins re-signing Renaldo Wynn!!!
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2009/03/renaldo_wynn_agrees_to_terms_w.html
//pure sarcasm

skinzzfan25
03-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Wooo whooo! Our DE problems are solved!!! The Skins re-signing Renaldo Wynn!!!
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2009/03/renaldo_wynn_agrees_to_terms_w.html
//pure sarcasm

Wynn is a good leader and a quality dude. He'll probably end up being camp fodder or a replacement to Daniels. Both can still play the run pretty well, at least for depth.

We still need a DE though.

toddmlazarchick
03-17-2009, 12:21 PM
all aboard the larry english train! theres plenty of room but its going to fill up fast!

If we could trade back 3-7 spots and take English and get a 2nd or early 3rd round pick back it would be fantastic! Im already on the English train man!

critesy
03-17-2009, 10:47 PM
we signed shawn shizzam !
woo!

DiG
03-18-2009, 08:54 AM
How I personally would finish the offseason:

Draft:
-Trade down from pick 13 with the Lions for pick 20 and pick 33

#20 - Brian Cushing / Clay Mathews, OLB - The more I think about it the more I think that this year a rookie OLB is going to need to have a bigger impact than any other position that we would draft. I'm not comfortable starting Blades at strong side. I think Blades belongs in the middle as a replacement for Fletcher.

#33 - Robert Ayers, DE - We need to fill spots in both trenches which is why I think a trade down is necessary. Ayers has the bulk that the Skins need to allow Carter to switch back to RDE where he was more successful two seasons ago. Having Haynesworth inside will hopefully benefit whoever else is on the line.

#80 - Troy Kropog, OT - A guy that can definitely play both tackle spots. Could come in and start day 1 for us at RT and has the tools I think to develop into a starting LT to replace Samuels.

#142 - AQ Shipley, C - I'm not a big fan of Rabach and I think its time we started looking for a replacement. Shipley has a ton of starting experience and a great attitude.

Cuts
-Antwaan Randle El - I'm worn thin on ARE. I'm glad he took a pay cut but I just don't think that he is worth much to this team.

Free Agency
-Torry Holt / Marvin Harrison, WR - Both are guys that I think still have 1-2 more solid years left in the tank. Moss isn't the #1 receiver we thought he would turn into a couple years ago and I'm not yet confident in either Thomas or Kelly although I have high hopes.

-Khary Campbell, LB - Great special teams player in the past and worth resigning for cheap.

-Ken Lucas, CB - I'm not crazy about our depth at corner. I love Hall and Rogers together as starters but Smoot is shaky at times as nickle and there is zero depth beyond him. I think Having Lucas and Smooth rotate as nickle/dime would give us much better depth and comfort should Hall or Rogers have to miss any games.

**My Offseason Pipe Dream**

-Trade down from pick 13 with the Lions for pick 20 and pick 33
-Trade Jason Campbell, #20 overall, future conditional pick for Jay Cutler
-Sign Angelo Crowell via FA

2 Live Crew
03-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Dirty Thirty, If we do trade down than I wouldn't mind the scenario you have there. Cushing/Matthews would probably start right away I would think. And obviously we need to draft in the trenches. I don't know much about Shipley but I agree that we absolutely need to draft an OT and DE and also I'm not a fan of Rabach.

ARE, I agree he can go and I won't miss him...he offers little to this team...could use the cap room too I suppose.

As for FA: We probably do need another WR but I don't know if those two are really on our radar or not. I wouldn't mind Holt though. I've always liked K. Campbell. Really need Thomas and Kelly to man up this year.

As for the Cutler scenario: Man it would really break my heart to trade Campbell, I really like the guy and want nothing but the best for him.

However it pains me to say that Cutler is most likely an upgrade over him. I think I could pull the trigger on JC and a 3rd but I'm not sure about JC and a 1st. Also, I heard that Denver doesn't want picks for him so I don't think that is too realistic anyways.

skinzzfan25
03-18-2009, 04:08 PM
I like that plan, Dirty. Especially the AQ Shipley pick at the end of the draft.

JRTPlaya21
03-22-2009, 05:25 PM
If any of that happened I just may be content.

DiG
04-14-2009, 04:44 PM
http://blog.redskins.com/2009/04/01/greg-blache-talks-winning-frogs-and-strongside-linebackers/#continued

"But there was one interesting tidbit, one that explained Chris Wilson's comment from yesterday that "I'm pretty excited to see how they're gonna use me this year" -- because Blache mentioned that the team was looking at Wilson to potentially help fill the role of strongside linebacker.

"Yeah," Wilson told me, "I'm pretty excited for that. I've played the position before, and it's all stuff that I can do."

Pretty interesting. I hadn't really thought about that possibility before but it really intrigues me. I've always liked Wilson but he's obviously been too small to be any more than a situational pass rusher.

HChu
04-23-2009, 09:42 PM
At least we're addressing some areas of need:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j0VSy9NF5q0mpsQbEqEElYg6REagD97OH1800

DiG
04-24-2009, 07:55 AM
I'll admit, I'm coming around to the idea of Sanchez as our quarterback SHOULD he drop out of the top 5 whereas the Skins DO NOT have to trade our 2010 first round pick in order to bring him in. If we do bring in Sanchez then either he starts his rookie year or Colt does and as much as I love Colt, I just don't foresee us making a run at the playoffs in either instance and next years draft class looks like its going to blow this one out of the water. If we can move up to the 8 or 9 spot for Sanchez by trading something like our 3rd round pick and then trade Campbell for another 3rd round pick then I'm all for it but anything that involves a 2010 first our second round pick will upset me a lot.

703SKINS202
07-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Hilarious Cooley/Brennan video, enjoy.

http://vimeo.com/5787861

D-Unit
07-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Hilarious Cooley/Brennan video, enjoy.

That is just HILARIOUS! Two light hearted guys... Brennan and Cooley have a pretty tight relationship. He'll probably take Cooley's game to another level if gets to start.

703SKINS202
07-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Redskins sign Jarmon. Details of the deal have not yet been announced.

TitleTown088
07-29-2009, 05:11 PM

JWitt dawg.

703SKINS202
07-30-2009, 11:56 PM
Orakpo signed and ready for camp Friday, and I'm going, sweet.

2 Live Crew
07-31-2009, 10:35 AM
Orakpo signed...very nice. Ready for some Skins football this year