PDA

View Full Version : William Moore vs. Taylor Mays

toddmlazarchick
09-05-2008, 11:15 AM
I am very partial to Mays because of watching Sean Taylor play. Not saying that Mays will ever be anything near Sean but his write up sounds like the closest thing I've heard to Sean's. What would the benefit of taking Mays over Moore be and vise versa. Who will be the better NFL player in you thoughts?

Paranoidmoonduck
09-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Right now, I have to say Moore. And right now, I'm not even sure Mays would be number 2 (or number 3) on my list.

Yes, he's a great talent. For a man his size, he's shown good ability in coverage in USC's Tampa 2. Yes, if his 40-time is anywhere close to what we heard coming out of that spring camp, he may well shoot up boards. But for a guy his size I don't see him being nearly as physical as I would expect. He isn't even close to what Sean Taylor was at Miami. Right now, he's more Josh Barrett to me right now. Great potential, but I need to see a lot more.

William Moore might not even wind up as the top safety, but he's the odds on favorite right now. He made a ton of plays last year, showed great range, has good size and more importantly used that great size to deliver some impressive hits. He looks like the most well balanced safety in the country right now. Then again, he didn't get off to a fantastic start against Illinois.

Guys like Emanuel Cook and Nic Harris are bound to work themselves into this conversation, not to mention guys like Courtney Green, Michael Hamlin, and Patrick Chung.

CJSchneider
09-05-2008, 11:28 AM
William Moore is a play-maker, pure and simple. He does a great job of creating turnovers and has a nose for the ball. His 8 interceptions tied him for the best in the NCAA last year.

Last year, Mays recorded 65 tackles[as opposed to Moore's 117] (look who is on the feild at the same time though). He is a great team leader and I think his best is yet to come.

As far as who will make the better NFL player, I think it's too early to tell.

rockio42
09-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Williams Moore, as everyone has said is the better all around safety and is a play-maker, he could probably play FS or SS depending on the defense, while I believe that Taylor Mays is going to be strictly kept at SS because I don't see him putting up LaRon Landry-esk 40 time ie big strong safety who can also burn

toddmlazarchick
09-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Williams Moore, as everyone has said is the better all around safety and is a play-maker, he could probably play FS or SS depending on the defense, while I believe that Taylor Mays is going to be strictly kept at SS because I don't see him putting up LaRon Landry-esk 40 time ie big strong safety who can also burn

Mays playing SS in the NFL would be better for us. Landry is better suited for FS.

rockio42
09-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Mays playing SS in the NFL would be better for us. Landry is better suited for FS.

I wasn't saying he wasn't I was just saying overall what I believe is the difference between Mays and Moore

eaglesalltheway
09-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Well I've watched both play a ton and I'll say that when it comes to pure talent, it is no contest. Taylor Mays has it by a decent margin. But when it comes to the better safety, as of now, (also no contest) William Moore is leading by a solid margin. Both have excellent size and strength. Mays leads (if reports are true) by a good deal in the speed department, Mays a 4.3ish and Moore a 4.5ish. Moore has his game together much better than Mays though, and as said before is a balanced all around safety, and could potentially play either Safety spot in the NFL.

I have to disagree with Rockio about Mays not playing FS though. He was the center fielder-type safety last week, and many other weeks, for USC. And IF that reported 40 time is anywhere close to true, he could play FS in the NFL. He has the size to be a SS, and if the speed and some other athletic traits hold true, he can play FS.

One thing I've noticed with Mays, in run support, he takes poor angles on occasion, and on some occasions, RBs (who are in some cases slower than him) will beat him to the outside and will be able to cut upfield, sometimes for big gains. Moore takes better angles and I have rarely seen him get beat in those situations. Moore is also better in pass coverage. Like it was said before, he had 8 INTs last year, and if I remember correctly, had 20+ batted balls. If you go off of production, Moore has better numbers compared to Mays, with both having similar amounts of PT. Mays though does have a better suppoting cast with better competition, so there is at least some of the cause for Mays' lesser numbers, but Moore just has performed too well for them to be considered equal right now.

Moore is the better prospect right now, and I expect, will be the better one come draft time. Mays though, with all of his physical gifts, has a ton of upside, and even though Moore has loads of upside, Mays has more. Moore has a higher floor though and has less of a risk of not panning out in the NFL. Right now, if you can't tell, I like Moore, and for me, the jury is out on Mays, but he has a lot in his favor.

Bruce Banner
09-05-2008, 12:53 PM

Just because you have invested two first round picks in safeties in the past doesn't mean you should do it now.
Too many other holes.

eaglesalltheway
09-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Just because you have invested two first round picks in safeties in the past doesn't mean you should do it now.
Too many other holes.

OPverall though, The Skins do need help on defense, he's just exploring some of the prospects, gaining knowledge at all types of positions. His questions are justified.

Bruce Banner
09-05-2008, 01:00 PM
OPverall though, The Skins do need help on defense, he's just exploring some of the prospects, gaining knowledge at all types of positions. His questions are justified.

Ah, I thought he was saying they need to draft one of these guys.

toddmlazarchick
09-05-2008, 01:02 PM

Yeah I think our biggest needs right now are S, CB, LB, DT, OL and even tho I hate to admit it probably QB. I hope we dont take a safety because I think Kareem Moore who we drafted this past year should get a shot. He has showed he could be an above average safety. But if it comes draft time and we are staring at Moore and Mays at our pick and they have the best value I have no problem pulling the trigger again.

Bruce Banner
09-05-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm just saying if you already have an up and coming star potential safety and an average to above average safety on the other side (who is relatively young), a first day pick let alone a first rounder is a major luxury pick.

DeathbyStat
09-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Moore kinda disappointed me against Illinois and Cook from South Carolina has really flashed

eaglesalltheway
09-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Moore kinda disappointed me against Illinois and Cook from South Carolina has really flashed

The sad thing is, Moore disapointed me too, but when you look at it subjectively, he didn't have a poor game.

eaglesalltheway
09-05-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm just saying if you already have an up and coming star potential safety and an average to above average safety on the other side (who is relatively young), a first day pick let alone a first rounder is a major luxury pick.

It is a luxury, but people were saying the same thing when they were anticipating Landry going to the Redskins. Its a sad fact, that anything can happen in the NFL, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Redskins would pick one fo the top safeties in the draft this year if it were of good value.

toddmlazarchick
09-06-2008, 12:06 AM
It is a luxury, but people were saying the same thing when they were anticipating Landry going to the Redskins. Its a sad fact, that anything can happen in the NFL, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Redskins would pick one fo the top safeties in the draft this year if it were of good value.

Me too. I would rather not take a top S but if its our pick and the best value then I am totally for it

SuperKevin
09-06-2008, 01:11 AM
Taylor Mays is becoming dangerously close to becoming an OLB. The guy needs to chill out in the weight room a bit.

toddmlazarchick
09-06-2008, 02:15 AM
Taylor Mays is becoming dangerously close to becoming an OLB. The guy needs to chill out in the weight room a bit.

I think he has a chance to slim down when transitioning from college to the NFL. Im sure the NFL workout is more intense then USC's

Bruce Banner
09-06-2008, 02:18 AM
I think he has a chance to slim down when transitioning from college to the NFL. Im sure the NFL workout is more intense then USC's

"chill out in the weightroom a bit"
That is what he said. He didn't mean that he is getting out of shape but rather too bulky for the safety position.

eaglesalltheway
09-06-2008, 08:06 AM
"chill out in the weightroom a bit"
That is what he said. He didn't mean that he is getting out of shape but rather too bulky for the safety position.

Still though, when a guy gains too much muscle, he loses mobility if he doesn't stretch properly. I can see where he is coming from. I know Mays isn't getting fat, but that added muscle stil does take away some athletecism. Granted if he were gaining the same amount of weight in fat, he would lose a lot more athletecism, but still, it is extra weight he is carrying around, and with the bulk, flexibility is lost and other change of direction capabilities can be affected.

BamaFalcon59
09-06-2008, 08:11 AM
How big was Urlacher in college?

eaglesalltheway
09-06-2008, 08:19 AM
I don't know, but that is a really good question. Something tells me he was a little bit bigger than Mays though. I'd say 240-245. Mays is like 230 I believe.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-06-2008, 12:10 PM

He was in the mid 250's at the combine. Urlacher was a totally different situation. Mays hasn't played any linebacker or defensive line like Urlacher did and he's not a fraction as physical.

Bruce Banner
09-06-2008, 07:39 PM
He was in the mid 250's at the combine. Urlacher was a totally different situation. Mays hasn't played any linebacker or defensive line like Urlacher did and he's not a fraction as physical.

Didn't Urlacher play Lobo?

Paranoidmoonduck
09-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Didn't Urlacher play Lobo?

Yeah, the linebacker/safety hybrid position is what he played his senior year, but he saw time playing typical linebacker and defensive end for the Lobos earlier in his career there.

Staubach12
09-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Mays is a better athlete, Moore is the better player. People will always be intrigued with Mays' triangle numbers, but Moore is better at football.

eaglesalltheway
09-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Mays is a better athlete, Moore is the better player. People will always be intrigued with Mays' triangle numbers, but Moore is better at football.

Umm, yeah.

Please don't write down what other people have already said wihtout giving better information, it is a useless post and kind of annoying.

Thanks

Lets see who gets this reference.

BamaFalcon59
09-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Umm, yeah.

Please don't write down what other people have already said wihtout giving better information, it is a useless post and kind of annoying.

Thanks

Me! Me! Me! I get it!

eaglesalltheway
09-07-2008, 09:13 AM
And the reference is of...

BamaFalcon59
09-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Someone accused him of always just repeating or copying someone elses informatio in his posts, and in the post where he accused him it looked like he had left off part of the post when he copied and pasted.

But really, even if he does do it so do a lot of other posters.

eaglesalltheway
09-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Someone accused him of always just repeating or copying someone elses informatio in his posts, and in the post where he accused him it looked like he had left off part of the post when he copied and pasted.

But really, even if he does do it so do a lot of other posters.

Oh, actually I was referencing a movie with the first line and the last line, but I remember that too. OK, there are two references in my statement. The other reference is to...

Staubach12
09-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Umm, yeah.

Thanks

I really have better things to do than read every single post before I post. I gave my opinion. Go to hell.

Babylon
09-07-2008, 12:23 PM

He was around 6-4 and 220 in college. I think Taylor Mays's speed will dictate where he plays in the pros. The hinted at sub 4.3 from the spring seems far fetched but we'll see.

eaglesalltheway
09-07-2008, 05:05 PM
I really have better things to do than read every single post before I post. I gave my opinion. Go to hell.

I honestly shouldn't even dignify this with a response, but here we go...

Isn't it uncanny how you, on many occasions, mindlessly blather (or regurgitate, as some like to say) already stated things. I wasn't even making a big deal out of it, I just thought it woudl be a good point to bring up since that truly was a useless post. (That and I wanted to bring up my Office Space reference.) And considering there was only one page to read, it isn't like it would be all that dificult to go over it anyway. I could understand if we were on the fourth page, but in which case, you should realise that by now people have already posted the same exact thing you did, but went into further detail and actually contributed to the topic. There is no arguing that your post added nothing to the thread.

To clear things up, I have no problem with people giving their opinions, but when it is something that is pretty much perceived as fact, and when you don't elaborate, it is a waste of time. As for your "go to hell", there is a saying... People who are overly defensive usually are guilty of what they are accused of. Personnally, I don't care where you tell me to go, it doesn't matter, this is an internet forum for god's sake, and me saying that you had an unwarranted post should be the leaast of your worries. I'll have you know I'm reporting this because I am going to be straight up front and honest and be the better person and tell you to your face. (Well, as close to your face as possible on an internet forum.) But I am reporting your post. And by the way, ouch on the rep hit, god forbid I have an opinion on your post.

keylime_5
09-07-2008, 05:14 PM
He was around 6-4 and 220 in college. I think Taylor Mays's speed will dictate where he plays in the pros. The hinted at sub 4.3 from the spring seems far fetched but we'll see.

no way, Mays is not physical enough to play LB in college, let alone in the NFL. He will succeed or fail as a safety at the next level.

Staubach12
09-07-2008, 08:31 PM
I honestly shouldn't even dignify this with a response, but here we go...

Isn't it uncanny how you, on many occasions, mindlessly blather (or regurgitate, as some like to say) already stated things. I wasn't even making a big deal out of it, I just thought it woudl be a good point to bring up since that truly was a useless post. (That and I wanted to bring up my Office Space reference.) And considering there was only one page to read, it isn't like it would be all that dificult to go over it anyway. I could understand if we were on the fourth page, but in which case, you should realise that by now people have already posted the same exact thing you did, but went into further detail and actually contributed to the topic. There is no arguing that your post added nothing to the thread.

To clear things up, I have no problem with people giving their opinions, but when it is something that is pretty much perceived as fact, and when you don't elaborate, it is a waste of time. As for your "go to hell", there is a saying... People who are overly defensive usually are guilty of what they are accused of. Personnally, I don't care where you tell me to go, it doesn't matter, this is an internet forum for god's sake, and me saying that you had an unwarranted post should be the leaast of your worries. I'll have you know I'm reporting this because I am going to be straight up front and honest and be the better person and tell you to your face. (Well, as close to your face as possible on an internet forum.) But I am reporting your post. And by the way, ouch on the rep hit, god forbid I have an opinion on your post.

No, I'm just tired of people saying that I copy opinions when I don't. I admit, I crossed the line on that. I was a douche, but so many people have been saying I do that when I honest to God do not. It's frustrating. If I'm guilty of anything, it's being lazy. I didn't want to read everything before I put my two cents in. If you want me to elaborate, tell me so.

Staubach12
09-07-2008, 08:45 PM
And here is my extended opinion:

Moore reminds me a bit of a more polished DaJuan Morgan. Morgan was excellent at playing the ball in the air, but was not a great tackler and not polished at all. (By the way, Morgan was my favorite safety last year) I think Moore could step in and play in the NFL right off the bat whenever he's drafted. So, I think he has a much better understanding of the game, and he's more versatile than Morgan. Beyond the Morgan comparison, Moore is one of the most versatile players in the draft because I would trust him on any call, whether that's deep zone, man, underneath, or rushing the passer.

As for Mays, there's no denying his potential. Any time you see a safety that's 6-3 225 and runs a reported sub-4.4 forty, scouts are going to take notice. For my satisfaction, he needs to become a dominant college player. I don't want to see the flashes of brilliance you get with him, I want to see plain brilliance, which I think he can do. My biggest concern is size. You've heard the coaching staff say that he's growing and growing. My concern is that it will get harder and harder to keep his weight down. Call it far-fetched, but it concerns me.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-07-2008, 09:22 PM

Brian Urlacher came into the 2000 combine at 258 lbs.

eaglesalltheway
09-08-2008, 06:20 AM
And here is my extended opinion:

Moore reminds me a bit of a more polished DaJuan Morgan. Morgan was excellent at playing the ball in the air, but was not a great tackler and not polished at all. (By the way, Morgan was my favorite safety last year) I think Moore could step in and play in the NFL right off the bat whenever he's drafted. So, I think he has a much better understanding of the game, and he's more versatile than Morgan. Beyond the Morgan comparison, Moore is one of the most versatile players in the draft because I would trust him on any call, whether that's deep zone, man, underneath, or rushing the passer.

As for Mays, there's no denying his potential. Any time you see a safety that's 6-3 225 and runs a reported sub-4.4 forty, scouts are going to take notice. For my satisfaction, he needs to become a dominant college player. I don't want to see the flashes of brilliance you get with him, I want to see plain brilliance, which I think he can do. My biggest concern is size. You've heard the coaching staff say that he's growing and growing. My concern is that it will get harder and harder to keep his weight down. Call it far-fetched, but it concerns me.

OK that works. That elaboration is useful and contributes. We are all guilty of being lazy sometimes.

STARHEATHER
09-09-2008, 01:38 PM
moore not even close. taylor mays is the most overrated safety prospect in a while. you watch their games, he just doesnt do anything. rumors of sub 4.4 speed are of course false. hes not around the ball much, doesnt tackle, doesnt hit with any force, doesnt display ball skills. "the invisible man". roy williams but doesnt hit and support the run. coverage liability. moore is a top tier nfl safety prospect. good ball skills, hits with force, around the ball, fast. injuries are starting to become a serious concern however.